Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
How in the world do they get 128g of carbs into what sounds like a fairly safe meal. I will never understand it.

Glad you're home, take it easy, be back on plan.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
They have to be adding sugar to it. That's the only explanation. I have eaten something similar at home, and it had maybe 20 grams of carbs.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:45 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Have you ever looked at the calorie counts from the Cheesecake Factory? It's insane and it does make you wonder.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:01 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

I would be afraid to! LOL!

Even though I only ate 312 calories yesterday, I gained inches practically all over. I feel bloated and my belly is really distended. And today is an up day, so I know I will probably gain. I may try to curtail the eating just a little today.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

ZERO CARB JUDDD - WEEK 6 RESULTS

Just eat meat.

That is what I have been doing for six weeks now. Well, mostly meat, anyway. As you will see from my food logs below, I strayed away from zero carb on two days this past week, and I was not happy with the results, so I am getting back on track this coming week.

I continued JUDDD this past week. Below are my food logs for the past week.

This was my average macronutrient intake during Week 6:

THE ILL-FATED POTATO HACK EXPERIMENT

Last Sunday, I decided to try the Potato Hack. There are a lot of people here that are eating nothing but potatoes on their down days, and some are eating nothing but potatoes for several days in a row and are finding that they are losing a great deal of weight.

The few people that did check their blood glucose found it was not an issue. I was really concerned about that, so I decided to eat the potatoes on Sunday morning and then check my blood sugar every half of an hour until it returned to normal. Here is what happened:

Not only did it soar into diabetic range, but it stayed high and even started going back up, even though I had not eaten anything else. I went back to my normal down day for lunch and dinner, and even the next morning, my blood glucose had not returned to normal. I shudder to think what would have happened to my blood sugar if I had continued the experiment for the rest of the day! Needless to say, I am abandoning this experiment.

BLOOD GLUCOSE AND KETONES

Because I am eating the way I am every day, I am not checking blood glucose or ketones on a daily basis. This morning, I did both tests before eating breakfast. My blood glucose was 93 and my blood ketones were 1.0. My average blood ketones are 1.9, so I am down a little bit, but still in ketogenic range.

MY EXCESS BODY FAT

My main concern is that I regulate my blood sugar, but I still have too much body fat and I'm hoping this way of eating will help me in that regard.

Because I started IF three weeks ago, I decided to start weighing and measuring again on a daily basis. The charts below show my actual numbers in the darker line, and my 7-day moving average in the lighter color. Generally speaking, if the trend is down and the actual number is below the 7-day average, things are trending in the right direction. The only things I want trending up are my lean body mass and my pounds of lean mass!

Here are my charts:

Since I started ZC six weeks ago, and Alternate Day IF three weeks ago, I have:

Lost 1/4" around my neck
Lost 1/2" around my bust
Lost 7/8" around my waist
Lost 1-1/2" around my belly
Lost 7/8" around my hips
Lost 3/8" around my thigh ( a new low)
Lost 3/8" around my calf
Lost 1.8 percentage points off of my body fat
Gained 1.8 percentage points onto my lean mass
Lost 6.4 pounds on the scale
Lost 4.8 pounds of body fat
Lost 1.6 pounds of lean mass

MY GOAL

I have a goal weight and body composition:

11-3/4" neck
28-3/8" waist
38-1/2" hips
136 pounds on the scale
30% body fat
70% lean body mass

To reach that goal, I need to:

Lose 2-3/4" around my waist
Lose 1-1/8" around my hips
Lose 7.6 pounds of body fat
Gain 4.6 pounds of lean body mass

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

I just posted this question, so if you are following my journal, please think about going over there and helping me out. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Do you work out at all Rebecca? Or do any kind of weight lifting program? Or have done so in the past when your LBM increased during your previous eating plan? I'm just trying to figure out something strange I'm finding in my own logs with eating higher fat. I do charts too and love my excel workbooks - just don't post them.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

I did weight lifting for years, but stopped when I tore my rotator cuff 2.5 years ago.

At the time I was lifting, I was also having a testosterone pellet implanted once every 4-5 months, because my body does not produce testosterone. I had to stop that a couple of years ago when it became too expensive.

It is hard enough for a woman to put on muscle naturally, even when she has testosterone, and practically impossible with no testosterone at all. I have been discouraged to lift weights because the last time I did it with no T, I gained several pounds of fat and lost several pounds of muscle over around five months, even though I was lifting heavy a few times per week. I was also eating LC at the time, and tracking what I ate. The fat gain and muscle loss were 100% attributed to the lack of T. Everything else had stayed the same.

I keep telling myself that I am going to try to start lifting again to see if it will help with the lean mass, but I just know it won't work. I also keep telling myself that I need to get my T back again. As soon as finances get better, that is first on my list of things to do!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

I STOPPED ZERO CARB!

I know that the title of my thread has to do with Zero Carb, but I am back to Very Low Carb.

I'll have to start a new journal soon with a new title, I guess...
Old 09-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

I bet the moderators could change your journal title without your having to create a new one? Although sometimes it's nice to start fresh.

I had a rotator cuff tear once years ago - getting my seatbelt on was an exercise in ingenuity. Had to drop out of baseball season that year too. Found some great exercises for it and it managed to heal pretty well - but I was much younger. Everything heals better when you're younger.

Jeffry Life has done quite a bit of research into aging, testosterone and supplementation - but you probably know as much as he does. I truly admire how much you keep fighting, tweaking and experimenting given all of the challenges you're facing.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

The name has been changed. Thanks for the idea, Jacqueline!

This is from my other thread on my problems with hunger and JUDDD:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Well, I am playing with my spreadsheets and coming up with a new plan, and for now, it looks like this:

Up Day
1850 calories
144.4g fat (70.2%)
105.6g protein (22.8%)
32g carbs (6.9%)

Down Day
463 calories
36.1g fat (70.2%)
26.4g protein (22.8%)
8g carbs (6.9%)

Averaging the two days together:

1156 calories
90.3g fat (70.2%)
66g protein (22.8%)
20g carbs (6.9%)

Of course, these are the exact numbers that my spreadsheet gives me, and I would not be obsessive about hitting those exact numbers on each day, but I would attempt to get close to them.

I would think that an average of 1156 calories per day of high fat, moderate protein, very low carb food would be enough of a deficit to still be able to lose weight. I looked at the JUDDD calculator, and that is the same average of daily calories for the 50% maintenance mode. According to the calculator, that would be 1542/771 and I plan on 1850/463. I am hoping that the bigger spread between the two days will give me an extra boost, plus let me eat more on DDs.

Doing this, I am going to be trying to increase my carbs just a little bit and maybe get in some lower carb veggies and see if my blood sugar can handle it.

Also, I am counting total carbs, not net carbs, so even if I am getting 32 total carbs on my UD, it is really only a fraction of that number that will impact blood sugar.

Thanks, everyone, for letting me use you as a sounding board as I attempt to make this work for me.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

And, of course, the first day that I tried it, yesterday, it got messed up because right at the point where I was going to make dinner, I got called into work and had to literally run out the door. By the time I got home, it was almost 10 pm, so I fried up some chicken livers and ate some Greek yogurt with frozen strawberries and that was all I had time for before going to bed.

So I was supposed to eat 1850 calories, and ended up eating only 1585. Oh, well.

But when I got up this morning, my weight had not changed and I lost some inches, which means I lost 0.2 pounds of body fat and gained 0.2 pounds of muscle.

Today is my first DD eating a little bit more than I usually do. I had been eating around 310, and today I have eaten 468, and I am done for the day.

I did get really, really hungry in the afternoon, even after my snacky lunch, so I went ahead and had my dinner at 3:30 pm and I will now attempt not to eat for the rest of the day.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Rebecca, I really don't know anything about JUDD, but I feel that someone who is trying to stabilize the blood sugar should be eating regularly and consistently, something which JUDD does not appear to be (to me.)

Diets like Bersteins have you eat similar breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks (if needed) each day, with a similar quantity of carbs and protein for each meal. Then you find exactly what your body needs for each meal.

You need to concentrate on stabilizing your body and blood sugar.

If you want to stick with JUDD though, I do agree with others on that thread that your down days are too low. Can't you just make the ranges smaller, 1000 cals and 1500cals (or whatever the numbers are.) How is your blood sugar on those low days, and high days?
Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

My blood sugar is stabilized quite nicely, thank you!

Even if I fast completely, my blood sugar never gets too low, and now that I am eating more, but not a lot of carbs, it never gets too high.

I raised my down days from 310 to 463 yesterday for the first time. Even just that small of extra food did a lot to ease my hunger. I am also tracking and eating a certain amount on my up days, and not depending on hunger levels to tell me when and what to eat. That has never worked for me. Every time I have tried it, I have gained back the weight I lost by tracking.

I guess one of the benefits of doing JUDDD is that the greater the spread between the two days, the greater the benefit of producing the hormone needed to lose body fat and prolong life. In the book, he says that the most benefit comes by not eating at all on the down days, but he knows people will probably not want to do that.

I could probably get the same weight loss results by just eating the average every day, in other words, just eat 1156 calories every day, but it makes me feel deprived all the time. At least this way, I get to eat a nice healthy amount of food every other day.

As time goes by and I reach my goal, I will slowly start eating more on the down days and see how that goes.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

I had a great weigh and measure this morning, with a bunch of new lows!

New low scale weight - 138 pounds (total lost since 5/26/13 - 9.8 pounds)

New low body fat - 46.6 pounds (total lost since 5/26/13 - 9.3 pounds)

New low hip measurement - 39-1/8" (total lost since 5/26/13 - 1-3/4")

New low calf measurement - 13-7/8" (total lost since 5/26/13 - 3/4")

New low meaurements total - 227-1/4" (total lost since 5/26/13 - 8-3/8")

New low body fat - 33.8% (total lost since 5/26/13 - 5.4 percentage points)

New high lean body mass - 66.2% (total gained since 5/26/13 - 5.4 percentage points)

Old 09-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Hurray Rebecca on the new lows!!

My jury's out on the low DD hypothesis - I seem to lose better - and far FAR more inches with a higher DD - closer to a 50% of maintenance calorie intake (higher fat seems better than higher protein).
Old 09-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie View Post
Hurray Rebecca on the new lows!!

My jury's out on the low DD hypothesis - I seem to lose better - and far FAR more inches with a higher DD - closer to a 50% of maintenance calorie intake (higher fat seems better than higher protein).
For me, it wasn't a question of if I lost faster, it was just that I was having hunger issues.

And for me, too, high fat is better than higher protein!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
My blood sugar is stabilized quite nicely, thank you!

Even if I fast completely, my blood sugar never gets too low, and now that I am eating more, but not a lot of carbs, it never gets too high.
That is good to know. I should have known you are totally aware of what's going on in your body.

I'm getting more stable all the time. Time does make a difference, it doesn't happen overnight.

Congrats on the new lows!!!! I love new lows.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Just for fun, I added a weight loss ticker to my signature.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

I started JUDDD on 8/11/13. Today, on 9/11/13, one month later, I have:

Lost 5 pounds on the scale
Lost 4.3 pounds of body fat
Lost 0.7 pounds of lean mass

Lost 1/8" around my neck
Lost 3/4" around my bust
Lost 1/2" around my waist
Lost 1-1/4" around my belly
Lost 1-1/8" around my hips
Lost 1/2" around each thigh
Lost 3/8" around each calf

Lost 1.8 percentage points off of my body fat
Gained 1.8 percentage points onto my lean mass

To reach my goal, I need to:

Lose 5.3 pounds of body fat
Gain 4.5 pounds of lean mass

Lose 2-3/8" around my waist
Lose 5/8" around my hips

Old 09-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

NUTRITIONAL KETOSIS - MONTH 11 RESULTS

(This was posted to my blog on June 9, 2013.)

On July 9, 2012, I started eating in such a way as to be fueled by Nutritional Ketosis. The short version is this: I am eating very high fat, moderate protein and very low carb. For the first several weeks, I was testing my blood ketone levels with a hand held monitor. I have stopped doing this because the strips are very expensive and I know that I am in the "zone" that I want to be. Because I have not changed the way I am eating, and I continue to lose body fat, it is reasonable to assume that I am still in Nutritional Ketosis. If I start to gain body fat or change the way I am eating, I will do more testing.

In the past seven months, I stopped weighing and measuring and tried to eat instinctively. That worked for a few months, but around the holidays at the end of 2012, I started gaining weight again, and when I went on vacation in February 2013, I really lost control and gained. From the 2012 holidays until May 26, 2013, here is what happened:

Gained 11.1 pounds of body fat
Lost 1.5 pounds of lean body mass

Gained 1/4" around my neck
Gained 1" around my bust
Gained 2-3/4" around my waist
Gained 2-1/8" around my belly
Gained 2" around my hips
Gained 3/4" around each of my thighs
Gained 1-4" around each of my calves

Gained 5.4 percentage points onto my body fat
Lost 5.4 percentage points off my lean body mass

So, I started careful tracking my food, my weight and measurements again on May 26, 2013, and I am going to try to post a report once per month.

As you can see from my charts, there is a large blank between November 2012 and May 2013, when I was not weighing and measuring, and you can see how I am starting off heavier and larger than when I started NK back in July 2012.

The darker lines are my actual numbers, taken each Sunday morning before eating and the lighter lines are the average of the prior eight weeks, so I can see the trend without all the bouncing around.

These charts show the average of the macro nutrient breakdown for the days that I tracked in these past two weeks.

Here is my "body goal":

136 pounds scale weight
40.9 pounds body fat (30%)
95.1 pounds lean mass (70%)
11-3/4" neck
28-3/8" waist
38-1/2" hips
To get there, I need to lose 14 pounds of body fat, gain 3.8 pounds of lean mass and lose 1/8" around my neck, 4" around my waist and 2-1/4" around my hips.

At the end of May, I started The Virgin Diet to try to isolate some food intolerances I thought I might have. It was definitely a higher carb diet than I was used to, and I immediately started gaining weight and, on June 6, I modified it so that I could continue doing it low carb.

Last edited by RebeccaLatham; 09-16-2013 at 01:22 PM..
Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

NUTRITIONAL KETOSIS - MONTH 12 RESULTS

(This was posted on my blog on July 14, 2013.)

As I mentioned last month, I gained back a bunch of weight and inches, but now I am back in Nutritional Ketosis and I am seeing results. As you can see from my charts, there is a large blank between November 2012 and May 2013, when I was not weighing and measuring.

The darker lines are my actual numbers, taken each Sunday morning before eating and the lighter lines are the average of the prior eight weeks, so I can see the trend without all the bouncing around.

With the initial losses and the subsequent gains, since starting Nutritional Ketosis in July 2012, I have:

Lost 5.2 pounds on the scale
Lost 2.9 pounds of body fat
Lost 2.3 pounds of lean body mass

Lost 3/8" around my neck
Lost 7/8" around my waist
Lost 1/4" around my belly
Lost 1/8" around my hips
Lost 1/2" around each of my thighs

Lost 0.7 percentage points off my body fat
Gained 0.7 percentage points into my lean body mass

These charts show the average of the macro nutrient breakdown for the days that I tracked in this past month.

I've started doing a little bit of blood testing for ketones and glucose. Here are those charts:

Here is my "body goal":

136 pounds scale weight
11-3/4" neck
28-3/8" waist
38-1/2" hips
To get there, I need to lose 9.9 pounds of body fat, gain 3.7 pounds of lean mass and lose 3" around my waist and 1-5/8" around my hips.

Up until the end of June, I was still doing The Virgin Diet.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

NUTRITIONAL KETOSIS - MONTH 13 RESULTS

(This was posted to my blog on August 11, 2013.)

I am eating very high fat, moderate protein and very low carb.

The large blank in my charts between November 2012 and May 2013 was from when I was not weighing and measuring, and you can see that I had significant gains during that time.

With the initial losses and the subsequent gains, since starting Nutritional Ketosis in July 2012, I have:

Lost 5.6 pounds on the scale
Lost 3.3 pounds of body fat
Lost 2.3 pounds of lean body mass

Lost 1/4" around my neck
Lost 1" around my waist
Lost 1/4" around each of my thighs
Gained 1/8" around each of my calves

Lost 0.9 percentage points off my body fat
Gained 0.9 percentage points into my lean body mass

These charts show the average of the macro nutrient breakdown for the days that I tracked in this past month.

I'm still doing a little bit of blood testing for ketones and glucose. Here are those charts:

Here is my "body goal":

136 pounds scale weight
11-3/4" neck
28-3/8" waist
38-1/2" hips

To get there, I need to lose 9.6 pounds of body fat, gain 3.8 pounds of lean mass and lose 1/8" around my neck, 2-7/8" around my waist and 1-3/4" around my hips.

Starting on July 21, 2013, I started eating Zero Carb.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

NUTRITIONAL KETOSIS - MONTH 14 RESULTS

The large blank in my charts between November 2012 and May 2013 was from when I was not weighing and measuring, and you can see that I had significant gains during that time.

Lost 9.2 pounds on the scale
Lost 7.3 pounds of body fat
Lost 1.9 pounds of lean body mass

Lost 3/8" around my neck
Lost 1" around my bust
Lost 1-5/8" around my waist
Lost 1-1/2" around my belly
Lost 1-1/8" around my hips
Lost 7/8" around each of my thighs
Lost 3/8" around each of my calves

Lost 2.8 percentage points off my body fat
Gained 2.8 percentage points into my lean body mass

I'm still doing a little bit of blood testing for ketones and glucose. Here are those charts:

Here is my "body goal":

136 pounds scale weight
11-3/4" neck
28-3/8" waist
38-1/2" hips

To get there, I need to lose 5.6 pounds of body fat, gain 3.4 pounds of lean mass, lose 2-1/4" around my waist and 5/8" around my hips.

Starting on August 11, 2013, I started Doing Alternate Day Intermittent Fasting (JUDDD).
Old 09-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

I'm thinking about trying to weigh and measure only once per week. Each time I have tried this, I have ended up weakening and going back to the every day thing.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #86
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I think it could be just the thing. Over the years I've dieted, that's been what I mainly do, and it's easier in a way. Only since being on JUDDD for awhile did I start the every day thing. I think it's good because it helps me figure out how my body reacts to certain foods, health situations, points in my cycle, calorie levels, etc. But I've seen about all there is to see on that front and have been contemplating going back to the weekly weigh in again, for peace of mind.

Weighing is so much fun when you're on a losing streak, but very unnerving when you're not!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your insight, Carol!

I have always used the scale and tape measure as a way to keep myself honest. It seems that when I don't weigh, I ASSUME that I am losing and gradually eat more and more and find out at the end of the week that I gained a lot of weight.

But I keep on trying to stop. I am going to weigh and measure for the rest of this week, and, on Monday, I will try not doing it until the following Sunday.

Or maybe I will wean myself off by doing it every other day for a test run and see how that goes.

Well, what do you know! I'm losing my nerve already!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

NUTRITIONAL KETOSIS - MONTH 15 RESULTS

The darker lines are my actual numbers, taken each Sunday morning before eating and the lighter lines are the average of the prior eight weeks, so I can see the trend without all the "noise".

Lost 7.4 pounds on the scale
Lost 6.7 pounds of body fat
Lost 0.7 pounds of lean body mass

Lost 3/8" around my neck
Lost 1-1/2" around my bust
Lost 1-1/2" around my waist
Lost 1-5/8" around my belly
Lost 1-1/4" around my hips
Lost 1" around each of my thighs
Lost 1/4" around each of my calves

Lost 2.8 percentage points off my body fat
Gained 2.8 percentage points into my lean body mass

Here is my "body goal":

136 pounds scale weight
11-3/4" neck
28-3/8" waist
38-1/2" hips

To get there, I need to lose 6.2 pounds of body fat, gain 2.2 pounds of lean mass, lose 2-3/8" around my waist and 1/2" around my hips.

LEAVING ALTERNATE DAY FASTING

I decided in the past few days to stop doing alternate day intermittent fasting. Although I was losing body fat doing that, I just could not adjust to it emotionally. On the days that I did not eat much, I was hungry, and on the days that I did eat, I was stressed thinking about the next day when I would not be able to eat much again. So I am back to eating around the same amount each day of high fat, moderate protein and very low carb food.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

I did a fat fast on Friday to get ready for a weekend that might involve some overeating. I lost 1.2 pounds, and even though I did overeat some yesterday, I lost another .2 pounds. So I'm happy!

It's not time for my monthly results, but I though I would post a couple of charts, just for fun. The dark lines are my actual numbers from my weekly weigh and measure, and the light lines are the average over the last 8 weeks, so that I can see the trend without all the "noise".

Old 10-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #90
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Rebecca, are you testing blood ketones?
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote