Old 08-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I've been eyeing JUDD for a while but I just can't bring myself to eat only 500 calories/day. I usually have that much for breakfast! Does the IF make a difference for you, Rebecca? And do you eat low-carb on your up days as well?
The thing about the down days is that you are hungry, yes, but you know that when you get up in the morning, you get to eat normally and have no hunger. So that makes it easier. I've only been doing it for five days, but people who have been doing it longer say that the longer you do it, the easier it gets on those down days.

So far, I have been losing doing JUDDD, so I guess it is working for me.

I actually eat zero carb every day, and have been doing that from three weeks before I started JUDDD. I wrote about my reasons in my blog under the tag "Zero Carb".

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2013, 03:45 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

After eating only 395 calories yesterday, my body got bigger. That is no fair.

Today is an up day, so I suppose it will get bigger today, too. Sigh.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:14 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

The darker lines below are my actual numbers and the lighter lines are my 7-Day Moving Average (the average of the past 7 days). The chart on the left is the total inches of my neck, bust, waist, belly, hips, thighs and calves. The chart on the right is just the portion of my scale weight that is body fat only, not my total weight.

I am posting this to encourage myself (and others) that there may be little fluctuations along the way, but as long as the trend is down (the lighter line), it is still good. As long as the darker line stays below the lighter line, the trend is down, and I don't have to worry. If the darker line goes above the lighter line, it is probably time to do some tweaking.

I have read that body water can fluctuate up or down two pounds per day without a change in body fat or muscle. So, even if I gain 2 pounds in one day, it is not cause for alarm (although it is a drag!), and should go back down within a day or so. It is only if the weight stays high or keeps increasing for seven days that it is probably not water weight, and might be fat gain and/or muscle loss.

So even though I "gained" 0.7 pounds of body fat and "lost" 0.7 pounds of muscle yesterday, the moving average shows that I lost 0.4 pounds of body fat and my muscle stayed the same yesterday.

And even though I "gained" 1/4", the moving average shows that I lost 1/2".

Old 08-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
I love averages. I used rolling averages last time I lost weight (I think they were 5 day averages.) Now I'm using a weekly average to compare to the week prior. That's working great for me too. I guess I'm not as freaked by actual numbers anymore, but everything is just a guestimate anyway.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
I love averages. I used rolling averages last time I lost weight (I think they were 5 day averages.) Now I'm using a weekly average to compare to the week prior. That's working great for me too. I guess I'm not as freaked by actual numbers anymore, but everything is just a guestimate anyway.
So true!
Old 08-17-2013, 03:15 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

I had a big bounce up this morning.

Last night, one hour after dinner, I decided to test my blood sugar, and it was 71. Nice, and no, that is not too low.

Today is a down day, and I will be eating 250 calories.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

FOUR WEEKS ON ZC NK AND ONE WEEK ON JUDDD

JUST EAT MEAT.

That is what I have been doing for four weeks now. Well, mostly meat, anyway. As you can see by my food logs below, I have also been eating Fat Bombs, which contain almond butter, cocoa powder and Stevia, and I also had a small square of dark chocolate on one day.

ADDING ALTERNATE DAY INTERMITTENT FASTING (JUDDD)

I have decided not to eat as much as I want to on my non-fasting days. I just don't trust myself to not pig out and gain weight. I am inputting my weight into the calculator each morning and using the numbers it tells me to use for my up days and down days. For example, my weight this morning is 140 pounds, and the calculator is telling me to eat 1548 calories if it is an UD and 310 calories if it is a DD. This totals 1858 calories for the two days combined with an average of 929 calories per day.

The charts below show how I have been eating for the past week. The DDs are a little hard, but knowing that I get to eat more on the UDs keeps me going strong. It has only been a week, but I am already feeling that the DDs are easier, which is what they say should happen.

The question remaining for me is if this is a sustainable way of eating for the rest of my life. That remains to be seen. The best outcome would be if I could reach a healthy body composition and stop having to track what I eat, letting my newly-healed appetite signals regulate how much I eat.

EATING TO AVOID DISEASE

I have hereditary terminal illnesses in my family, most notably ALS, Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease and Type 2 Diabetes, and I eat in a way that should prevent me from getting those diseases, which means high fat, very low carb and no processed foods or unhealthy fats. For me, it is about health first and weight loss second.

PROTEIN NEEDS

Because I want to keep the proper amount of lean body mass, I want to make sure that I am eating a sufficient amount of protein. I can't get this in every day, due to fasting on alternate days, but I want to get no less than 60 grams of protein averaged out between the two days. That means that I am factoring in eating at least 16 grams of protein on fasting days and at least 104 grams on non-fasting days.

WHY I DECIDED TO MAKE THIS CHANGE

In a nutshell, even though eating around 1400 calories per day and staying in nutritional ketosis were helping me lose body fat at a nice rate, I found myself hungry a lot of the time, and I was starting to feel like I could not keep it up. My appetite is just still too big! A plan where I am only hungry every other day is more appealing to me than a plan where I am hungry every day!

Below are my food logs for the past week As you can see, there were days that I went over the amount that the calculator told me to eat, but I got better at that as the week went on and I got more in the rhythm of the eating style.

This was my average macronutrient intake during Week 4:

BLOOD GLUCOSE AND KETONES

Because I am eating the way I am every day, I am not checking blood glucose or blood ketones on a daily basis. An hour after dinner on August 16, I checked my blood glucose, and it was 71. This morning, I did both tests before eating breakfast. My blood glucose was 69 and my blood ketones were 5.2, which is really high (but not dangerously so). My average blood ketones are 1.9, so I am still going strong in ketosis.

MY EXCESS BODY FAT

My main concern is that I regulate my blood sugar, but I still have too much body fat and I'm hoping this way of eating will help me in that regard.

Because I started JUDDD this past week, I decided to start weighing and measuring again on a daily basis. I'm just too curious to see how my weight and measurements will fluctuate with JUDDD. It should not be surprising, or alarming, to see more fluctuations than normal. The charts below show my actual numbers in the darker line, and my 7-day moving average in the lighter color. Generally speaking, if the trend is down and the actual number is below the 7-day average, things are moving in the right direction. The only things I want trending up are my lean body mass and my pounds of lean mass!

Here are my charts:

Since I started ZC four weeks ago, and JUDDD one week ago, I have:

Lost 1/8" around my neck
Lost 1/2" around my bust
Lost 1" around my waist
Lost 1-1/2" around my belly
Lost 5/8" around my hips
Lost 1/8" around my thigh
Lost 1/4" around my calf
Lost 1.8 percentage points off of my body fat
Gained 1.8 percentage points onto my lean mass
Lost 4.5 pounds of body fat
Lost 0.9 pounds of lean mass

MY GOAL

11.75" neck
28.5" waist
38.5" hips
136 pounds on the scale
30% body fat
70% lean body mass

To reach that goal, I need to:

Lose 1/8" around my neck
Lose 2-1/2" around my waist
Lose 1-3/8" around my hips
Lose 7.8 pounds of body fat
Gain 3.8 pounds of lean body mass
Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Here is another before and after picture of me.

The first was taken in Febraury 2009 at my highest weight of 158 pounds and 44.8% body fat.

The other was taken 15 months later at 138 pounds and 34.4% body fat.

I had lost 23.3 pounds of body fat and had gained 3.4 pounds of lean mass.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

And just for fun, here is another before and after, but this time, I had gained a lot of weight, but I'm not sure how much...

Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #40
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Hi Rebecca! Your before and afters are amazing. You don't even look like the same person and so much younger (well, except for the obvious!).

You're doing great combining zero carb with JUDDD, and your charts are wonderful.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Carol! So far, so good!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

For the past three up days, I have tried out just eating to satiety to see if I would still lose body fat even though I am eating more than the calculator tells me to eat. On those three days, I "over ate" 247 calories, 447 calories and 392 calories.

And I am losing body fat. I am even doing better than when I was trying to keep my food in line with the calculator. I sure hope this is not a fluke, because I like being able to eat more.

On my down days, I have started eating just a little protein powder a couple of times per day and a cup of homemade bone broth once per day, and that gives me around 310 calories.

I know that the book says to just go ahead and eat 500 calories on your DD, but it also says that it is suggested because most people are not willing to eat the amount that the calculator says. He even says it would be better to fast completely on the DD, but people are not willing to do that. So I decided to eat what the calculator tells me to on DDs, and eat as much as I want on UDs, as long as I do not stuff myself.

Yesterday was an UD, but because I was at work at dinner time, I could not eat until I got home at 9:45 pm. I was planning to eat a cheeseburger with butter and no bun, but I was just not that hungry when I got home, so I had some full fat Greek yogurt with chocolate protein powder and went to bed.

I can't believe that after a down day, I was not taking every opportunity to eat as much as possible.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

That's so great, Rebecca! Through most of my journey I've eaten more than my "calculated" UD calories and still lost great. I'm having to play around a little with that now, but I'm sure it's about time I make some adjustments.

I absolutely love how you track everything and watch what works and what doesn't. You're doing great!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
That's so great, Rebecca! Through most of my journey I've eaten more than my "calculated" UD calories and still lost great. I'm having to play around a little with that now, but I'm sure it's about time I make some adjustments.

I absolutely love how you track everything and watch what works and what doesn't. You're doing great!
Thanks! For every one person that likes my tracking, there are five who think I am crazy!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Just out of curiosity, how are you measuring your body fat?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how are you measuring your body fat?
I just answered that question here yesterday.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #47
Joe
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joe
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis / Zero Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Hello, Fellow NKers!
My doctor suggested that I do what he does and just eat meat. So that is what I have been doing. I am eating meat (including beef, beef liver, chicken, pork, fish), eggs, a very small amount of dairy only every four days (due to an intolerance I found out I have) and healthy fats. The only thing I drink is water and very occasional unsweetened, decaf tea.
Two comments:
1. Wow! You found an awesome doctor. Mine is more amused by my dietary approach, but agrees that it works for me. I can't imagine finding one who actually approved and followed a carnivorous approach himself.

2. I think I found my (female) doppleganger: meat, eggs, and unsweetened tea. Ok, I wimp out and I add half a cup of lemon juice to a gallon of tea for the taste.

Interesting to read your suspicions about low protein being an issue. {Link removed by moderator. Please see the TOS: Terms of Service - Policy Modification }
One interesting graph is at: Health Correlator: The amounts of water, carbohydrates, fat, and protein lost during a 30-day fast.

The data there are for fasting, but should provide an upper bound for the amount of protein lost during NK. Eyeballing it, it's 40g to 50g per day lost just for gluconeogenesis. I'm not sure how much else would be needed for repair, but 57g may be cutting it rather fine. Then again, I'm still figuring out how much protein I should be consuming. So it's good to read about your experiments.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Nice to meet you, Joe! Do you have a journal here?
Old 08-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Just eat meat.

That is what I have been doing for five weeks now. Well, mostly meat, anyway. As you can see by my food logs below, I have also been eating Fat Bombs, which contain almond butter, cocoa powder and Stevia, and I also had a small square of dark chocolate on one day and some macadamia nuts.

I continued JUDDD this past week.

Below are my food logs for the past week. I decided to try eating to satiety for my past few Up Days, and I found that I lost better eating a little bit more.

This was my average macronutrient intake during Week 5:

BLOOD GLUCOSE AND KETONES

Because I am eating the way I am every day, I am not checking blood glucose or ketones on a daily basis. I checked my blood glucose every other day this past week, once before eating breakfast and thrice an hour after eating dinner and the numbers were 69-80-72. Yesterday morning, I did both tests before eating breakfast. My blood glucose was 75 and my blood ketones were 3.2. My average blood ketones are 1.9, so I am still going strong in ketosis.

MY EXCESS BODY FAT

My main concern is that I regulate my blood sugar, but I still have too much body fat and I'm hoping this way of eating will help me in that regard.

Because I started IF two weeks ago, I decided to start weighing and measuring again on a daily basis. The charts below show my actual numbers in the darker line, and my 7-day moving average in the lighter color. Generally speaking, if the trend is down and the actual number is below the 7-day average, things are trending in the right direction. The only things I want trending up are my lean body mass and my pounds of lean mass!

Here are my charts:

Since I started ZC five weeks ago, and Alternate Day IF two weeks ago, I have:

Lost 1/4" around my neck
Lost 1/2" around my bust
Lost 1-3/8" around my waist
Lost 1-1/8" around my belly
Lost 7/8" around my hips
Lost 1/4" around my thigh
Lost 1/4" around my calf
Lost 2.4 percentage points off of my body fat
Gained 2.4 percentage points onto my lean mass
Lost 7.2 pounds on the scale
Lost 5.9 pounds of body fat
Lost 1.3 pounds of lean mass

MY GOAL

I have a goal weight and body composition:

11.75" neck
28.375" waist
38.5" hips
136 pounds on the scale
30% body fat
70% lean body mass

To reach that goal, I need to:

Lose 2-1/4" around my waist
Lose 1-1/8" around my hips
Lose 6.4 pounds of body fat
Gain 4.2 pounds of lean body mass
Old 08-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #50
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
These are so comprehensive Rebecca. Amazing. I am pleased that you find the higher calories are working for you on your UDs.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Cindy!

This morning, I tried the Potato Hack. Not good! My results here.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

I am struggling for the past few hours, and I thought maybe if I write about it here, it might give me strength.

I am taking care of my sister, who has Alzheimer's Disease. I have been here since Saturday at noon, and I am leaving for home on Tuesday morning. It is very bad here because my sister (age 52) is very ill and cries out loud and is unable to communicate for the vast majority of her waking hours.

It is very stressful and I am losing my resolve to not eat for the rest of the day. When I am home, I do good, but when I am here, my sister's problems far outweigh my weight loss problems, and I find myself not caring what I eat. Until I am on the way back home. Then I care.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm so sorry Rebecca. Alzheimer's is a cruel cruel disease, especially in one as young as your sister. You are a wonderful person to help her. Don't worry too much about your eating during this stressful time. A few days isn't going to make or break anything on the diet front. And don't forget to take care of yourself!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:31 AM   #54
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I so agree Carol. Be gentle with yourself Rebecca, this is not a race. And you are a wonderful sister.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I so agree Carol. Be gentle with yourself Rebecca, this is not a race. And you are a wonderful sister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I'm so sorry Rebecca. Alzheimer's is a cruel cruel disease, especially in one as young as your sister. You are a wonderful person to help her. Don't worry too much about your eating during this stressful time. A few days isn't going to make or break anything on the diet front. And don't forget to take care of yourself!
Thank you, Ladies! The ongoing problem with taking care of my sister is that I am here often enough that the damage I do to my weight just gets taken care of and it's time to go back again. I can't seem to get ahead of it. I am at my sister's house a full 25% of my time.

I am thinking about cutting back to only coming for 4 days once every three weeks instead of every two. I want to be of as much help as I can, but it is taking over my life, and my hours just got increased at one of my jobs, so I have very little time to spend with my husband. I'm really torn.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Starrhae
Stats: 11/2003 185/155 restart7/30/2013149/134.8/125
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 7/30/2013
for your sister ,Rebecca , I think it is great that you are helping her, but you have to take care of you and your DH first. I think it would be better all around for you to take that time for you. I think in the long run she would tell you that if she could!! You are doing so well and I enjoy your charts and they help me to see them!!
Starrhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

So sorry to hear about all you are going through. You are definitely in my thoughts. I think doing what you said, cutting back on the time there, sounds necessary for you and your family.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrhae View Post
for your sister ,Rebecca , I think it is great that you are helping her, but you have to take care of you and your DH first. I think it would be better all around for you to take that time for you. I think in the long run she would tell you that if she could!!
Quote:
So sorry to hear about all you are going through. You are definitely in my thoughts. I think doing what you said, cutting back on the time there, sounds necessary for you and your family.
I think I have gotten to the place where I have decided to take the extra time for myself, but I am nervous about letting my family know of that decision. I will probably wimp out and do it through an email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrhae View Post
You are doing so well and I enjoy your charts and they help me to see them!!
Thanks! I enjoy doing them and I am glad that you find them helpful in some way.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Just checking in on you. How's it going?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Well, I am back from my sister's house with an extra two pounds, and I (unexpectedly) went to Olive Garden tonight, and ate a bowl of soup and a sausage dish with tomatoes, peppers and mozarella cheese, thinking it was a good choice.

When I got home, I plugged the nutritional data in from the online Olive Garden site and found that what I ate was 1531 calories. Put that together with what I had already eaten, and I ate 2659 calories today, including 183g fat, 126g protein and (gulp) 128g carbs! Yikes!

I just checked my blood sugar and it is 113. Higher than I like it, but not dangerously so.

Not looking forward to the weigh in and measure in tomorrow morning!

But thanks for asking!