Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Journals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/)
-   -   The Chronicles of JillyBean (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/808876-chronicles-jillybean.html)

JillyBean 07-29-2013 12:14 PM

The Chronicles of JillyBean

Today is my first day of Atkins Induction and what (I hope) will be the beginning of a low-carb lifestyle that works for me. I have studied about this a little (probably just enough to be dangerous :confused: ) and it makes so much sense, given my history of ups and downs with weight and "diets" and cravings and withdrawal, etc. And, I put quotation marks around the word 'diet' because I am loathe to call it that. It brings up (for me, at least) all sorts of negative connotations: It's painful. It's no fun. It's boring. It's temporary! Lifestyle change sounds so much healthier all around.

I want this to work and I want it to last. So, I have done a bit of preparing ahead of time. I cannot temptation-proof my house much, as I do not live alone and I've burned all the bridges for asking for much support around this issue. One thing I know I need is accountability and group support from people who get it and are doing the same (or very similar). I plan to post my food, my weight losses (I hope!), and any other weight-loss benefits or questions I may have.

What I've seen here for support so far seems to be over-the-top caring and helpful. I hope to make use of that and be able to return the favor someday in the future.

So far today, I have had two slices of bacon and two eggs, over easy, for breakfast. A snack around 11:00 am of a 4 oz. glass of almond milk (unsweetened, of course). And some chicken/tuna salad for lunch. I am working on getting in some water. We are going out to dinner tonight with family (and here comes the accountability feature), and if I post here what I plan to have I believe it will help me stick with it. I plan to have steamed clams with butter and a small salad with my own dressing of olive oil and vinegar (so no hidden sugars). I am working on increasing my water consumption and remembering to take my vitamin supplements each day. I also plan to start some sort of exercise regimen, but probably not for a couple days anyway.

I welcome all helpful feedback and encouragement anybody cares to give. :shake:

Jossy 07-29-2013 04:35 PM

Welcome and good luck :) You will do great, I know it.

JillyBean 07-29-2013 05:54 PM

Dinner went as planned - almost. I forgot to bring my own dressing, so I ordered blue cheese dressing. And I had a few mussels. My total ECC for the day was 12. The thought crossed my mind a couple times that, if I were not sticking to my plan, I would have had crackers, and some chocolate. But, it was not a severe craving and I easily changed my thinking to get my mind on something else.

Day #1: A success! :cool:

cfine 07-29-2013 06:22 PM

Hey Jillybean! Welcome. Sounds like day one went well. I wouldn't worry too much about exercising just yet. Give yourself a little time to settle in to your new eating habits. Exercising can trigger hunger and make your willpower go out the window.

JillyBean 07-30-2013 05:05 AM

Wow, do I have a lot to learn! I keep hitting some key that takes me out of this post and all my typing is gone! They say third time's a charm, but this will be my fourth attempt. Grrr!

Anyway, that's not what I wanted to say here. First of all, thank you to Jossy and cfine for your responses. I appreciate your support.

Now another question that I have about this forum: Why is my thread title in smaller letters than most of the others? Did I do something wrong? Can it be fixed? Maybe it doesn't really matter all that much?

I plan to weigh myself the first and 15th of each month, so I am not going to weigh myself until Thursday, though I'd like to weigh daily! But, I am a slow loser typically, and I know myself well enough to know that I will get discouraged if I don't see results on the scales. Which is exactly why I am trying this WOE. I sure hope it's true that it's more about the carbs we eat than the calories. And I'm not saying I don't think calories count at all, but I can eat almost nothing and not lose weight. So, the concept that it's the carbs that are the culprit definitely appeals to me. If I can find something livable that works, I'll lose the weight and never gain it back again. I see posts here of people who make it work and they've been here for many years. That is so encouraging to me.

Right now, all my clothes are too tight. I don't want to go out in public. If I could sit around here it my nightie all day, that would be fine with me. But, I can't do that. And, besides, what kind of a life would that be anyway? What a waste... So, I feel like I have so much riding on this way of eating. My husband and (grown) kids are watching me. They will benefit too if they see that it works for me. Nothing else seems to.

Okay, "Time to make the doughnuts" NOT! Breakfast, here I come. :eggs:

JillyBean 07-30-2013 06:01 PM

Quick note tonight... Today's food went well.
2 slices bacon and 2 eggs with some parmesan cheese on top.
Chicken/tuna salad with just a little dill relish added in for lunch. Stopped eating it when I was no longer enjoying it (ie not hungry?) I do know what hungry feels like, but I'm not sure I know what satisfied is... Is it when I no longer want to eat anymore? I don't think so, because I never would stop with ice cream until it was all gone, even though I knew I was full enough.
I ate the remainder later for an afternoon snack, along with about 1/4 C leftover stir-fried peppers, tomatoes and onion. And I had 1/2 C. almond milk with a little cream in it. Yum!!
Dinner was steak and sugar snap peas. I hope I am counting them correctly. I had 4 ounces and counted it as 6 ECC. I also had a couple bites of hot Italian sausage.
And I have been working on getting enough water in. Today I wonder if I overdid it, or if it's just my body adjusting to a new diet. At any rate, I have been hitting the loo pretty hard today. :laugh:

Two days down... Tomorrow (Day 3) is always my hardest.

JillyBean 07-31-2013 01:23 PM

Checking in on Day 3. It's been quite a day, but I have not had cravings! I have had many other things on my mind, which have helped, I'm sure. I am keeping track of what I eat and I believe I am overestimating on the number of carbs in the things I am eating. (I hope so, anyway.) So far today I have had:
2 slices bacon, 1 egg, 1 oz. cheese
1/2 C broccoli and cheese with about 1 oz. cheese melted on top
6 oz. almond milk with cream in it (my new favorite drink)
I have counted all that as 12 ECC, which seems a lot for that. No matter, as long as I am under 20 and I'm content with it (not hungry, etc.), then I think I'll be okay.

I suppose I can use a ketostick today and see what that shows (I remember reading somewhere that it's best to do that in the evening, so I'll wait a few hours), but it seems from lots of posts that they are not the most reliable things in the world. I'll try not to get too wrapped up in the results. My carb count is drastically different than what I was consuming 3 days ago. That in itself has to be a good thing. I'll let it go at that. (I may need to read this to remind myself later too! LOL!)

JillyBean 07-31-2013 01:38 PM

Checking in on Day 3. It's been quite a day, but I have not had cravings! I have had many other things on my mind, which have helped, I'm sure. I am keeping track of what I eat and I believe I am overestimating on the number of carbs in the things I am eating. (I hope so, anyway.) So far today I have had:
2 slices bacon, 1 egg, 1 oz. cheese
1/2 C broccoli and cheese with about 1 oz. cheese melted on top
6 oz. almond milk with cream in it (my new favorite drink)
I have counted all that as 12 ECC, which seems a lot for that. No matter, as long as I am under 20 and I'm content with it (not hungry, etc.), then I think I'll be okay.

I suppose I can use a ketostick today and see what that shows (I remember reading somewhere that it's best to do that in the evening, so I'll wait a few hours), but it seems from lots of posts that they are not the most reliable things in the world. I'll try not to get too wrapped up in the results. My carb count is drastically different than what I was consuming 3 days ago. That in itself has to be a good thing. I'll let it go at that. (I may need to read this to remind myself later too! LOL!)

JillyBean 08-01-2013 05:33 AM

Day 4

Wow! I have some exciting news! Lost 5 pounds! Now, I know that's not all fat weight, but, nevertheless, it's a big loss for me. I am happy! :) I checked for ketones yesterday evening and the stick was on moderate amounts. Would like to see it higher, but I'm eating very little veggies now and there is nothing that I want to cut back more on at this time. A big bonus I am finding already is that I have not got much for appetite now, except when I am truly feeling hunger. And the beauty of that is that I can eat something at that time, but it doesn't turn into a binge.

Stressful events going on in my life the past couple of days, but they will not de-rail me. I am determined!

So far today I have had 1 1/2 slices of bacon and 1 1/2 soft boiled eggs with a little butter and salt on them. I tried the No-Salt for potassium, but I really don't like it much and so I will buy a supplement today while I'm out. I had a Charlie horse in the morning yesterday and the beginnings of one this morning, so I am hoping that extra potassium will take care of that problem.

Also, still working on getting plenty of fluids, which is probably adding to the Charlie horse issue... :sing:

(Notice there was an edit done on this post? It's because when I went to change my weight in my profile, I realized it was 5 pounds, not 3 that I originally thought it was! Wow, really excited now!)

JillyBean 08-01-2013 06:47 PM

Day 4 Cont'd

The rest of the day went well. I realized after I'd left the house that I was going to be gone 'til way past lunch time and I hadn't thought of it before I left! A good sign. I made it all through my errands and shopping and ate when I got home:

the leftover 1 1/2 egg and some mayo and onion and the last of the leftover stir-fried veggies.
Dinner was a turkey cutlet and a salad with kalamata olives and feta and olive oil.
After dinner I did another test strip and it's working it's way more toward the purple. :-)
I just finished my nightcap of unsweetened almond milk and cream.
Been a bit of a stressful evening, so I am headed to bed.

JillyBean 08-02-2013 09:50 AM

Day 5

Kinda wishing I had a catheter these past couple days. Seems like I'm running to the bathroom a lot. I hope it evens out here soon. To be honest, I am drinking more than usual, but I wouldn't have thought this much. Are my kidneys functioning better? Didn't they used to say Atkins was damaging to the kidneys? Mine seem to be doing very well!!

All's well with the food so far. Breakfast was 2 slices bacon, 1 egg and 1 oz. (quesstimated) cheese. It's now almost one o'clock and I haven't thought of lunch or snacks at all. Must be experienced to be believed... :up:

JillyBean 08-03-2013 08:32 AM

Day 6

Busy afternoon yesterday, so I didn't get back to finish off my day.

We had lobster for dinner. I counted out 12 green beans that we picked from the garden and we had chili dip, which I used sparingly. I had a nightcap of almond milk with cream. Lunch was a salad with turkey, feta and kalamata olives.

Ketostick last night was a tad darker. Doing great.

Breakfast today was 2 bacon strips, an egg and about an ounce of cheese.

Back to the bills that didn't get paid yet... :annoyed: LOL!

JillyBean 08-04-2013 11:06 AM

Day 7

I see a pattern here. No posting last night either. Maybe it will work out to just once a day always.

So, lunch yesterday was leftover lobster and a few green beans.
Dinner was steak and cooked green beans
Nightcap of almond milk and cream.

Forgot to do a ketostick test last night.

This morning I cheated and got on the scales. I've lost another 2 pounds! But, it's not official until the 15th, so I won't change my profile. Anyway, in six days my weight has dropped 7 pounds. I think that's a first for me! :jumpjoy:

This morning I had 2 slices bacon and a cheese omelet.
Lunch was chicken/tuna salad and sugar snap peas.

And I did a ketostick early today (I usually do them in the evening.), and it was not as purple as it's been. Better slack off a bit on the veggies? Or is it a time of day thing? I might just test tonight to see if it's purple this evening.

My pants feel better already. I do think that I feel some heart palpitations when I exert myself. That is something new. Could be the weight, could be the diet, could be blood pressure related. Keeping it on my mind for now and writing it down to document it for future reference.

The end of today makes a full week, and I am still quite satisfied with my food! :yummy:

JillyBean 08-05-2013 04:49 PM

Day 8

Good day today food-wise, but first - dinner last night was ribs (the rest of the family had theirs laced with "sugar sauce", mine had garlic salt on them and they were delicious. Salad to go with it with creamy Caesar salad (that had a little sugar in it, but down a little on the list). Ketostick was not at the end of the scale, but getting close.

Today, early I tested again and it was just as purple as last night. Not sure I understand all that, but I hope it means I'm doing it right. I think it's time to get the books out and re-read a little bit. And I'm sure there are some great posts here that I can get info from too...

Breakfast was 2 slices bacon, 1 egg and some parmesan cheese on top.
Lunch was a leftover rib and salad with feta and kalamata olives (getting in all that sodium!). Then after lunch I was still hungry. I waited a couple hours and was still wanting something so I had a cup of almond milk with cream. An hour after that I had a large cup of mint tea with some cream in it. That did the trick...
About 1/2 ounce of cheese while preparing dinner.
Dinner was moose meat, cuke and avocado - no dressing, just some salt sprinkled on.

Either I have not been quite as active or the palpitations are lessening. I didn't notice any today. I hope that means my body is adjusting.

I'll test in a little while. Will report back later tonight or in the morning.

JillyBean 08-06-2013 05:36 PM

Day 9

Hard to believe it's been 9 days already. Still happy with the WOE. Fit into a pair of pants tonight that I couldn't pull on the way on last week. Almost unbelievable, if I didn't know it was true...

Breakfast today: 2 slices bacon, 2 soft boiled eggs with butter
Lunch: Chicken/tuna salad with dill relish mixed in on a bed of iceberg lettuce.
Snack around 3:30: Almond milk with cream.
Dinner: About an ounce of cheese, an ounce of pepperoni and a large handful of sugar snap peas.
Nightcap: Almond milk with cream (maybe I'll warm it up tonight):yummy:

The family had fresh corn on the cobb tonight. I took the cover off to look at it. Man, did it smell good! I moved away quickly. I would not have resisted it at all 10 days ago.

Jossy 08-09-2013 03:58 PM

You are doing great and your menus look delish :) Keep up the good work!