Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Journals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/)
-   -   Clean Slate (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/808753-clean-slate.html)

Potaty 07-26-2013 11:13 PM

Clean Slate

About me: I am a 35 year old stay at home mom to three amazing, incredible and adorable little ones. DS5, DD3, & DS18mos.

I gained a lot of weight with my last pregnancy and unfortunately, the scale has only moved in an upward direction.

Losing weight for me tends to be easy....as long as I stay focused and motivated, which is a huge hurdle for me. Maintaining my weight has proven to be impossible so far. I have gained and lost 30-60 pounds countless times in the past 15 years and the constant battle of up and down has to stop.

My goal is not only to lose the extra weight I am carrying around, but to learn how to maintain my losses permanently this time. This time has to be different than all of the others. I don't want to spend the next 15 years (holy crap, I will be 50 in 15 years...I think I just had a mild heart attack) the same way I spent the last 15. Other than pregnancy (I truly felt beautiful during that time, regardless of weight), I have been in a constant struggle with food and the scale.

I have also acquired a new habit of binge eating. I never purge, hence the ever increasing girth of my butt. I will do really well with my eating for several days and then one slip up quickly turns into a panic of "last supper" syndrome. That has to stop.

I am excited to have a journal again, I took a long break in order to refocus and unfortunately, I have only gone up in weight so I really feel like I need the support, feedback and accountability the journal provides.

My first goal is not scale related at all. My first goal is to simply make wise, heatlhy, low carb choices in the next week. For the first week, I am giving myself the freedom from counting total carbs and will just casually eat the right types of foods. I also want to focus on drinking more water, I know I am chronically dehydrated. My weight this morning was 227, which is my highest ever non-pregnant weight and darned near what I was at delivery with all 3 pregnancies.

Jossy 07-27-2013 06:27 AM

Good luck to you and congratz on all of those wonderful children :) I don't have kids however I am a notorious binge eater...now I am 6 days binge free and all low carb meals. You can do it..rooting for you :)

cfine 07-27-2013 12:32 PM

I have the same problem with binge eating. I am trying to stop it!! I went five months with no gluten last year and did great. Since I started letting myself have gluten again, I am finding it hard to stay on track. I am determined that no more gluten will pass thru these lips. Good luck!

Samantha42 07-29-2013 09:25 PM

I'm so glad you're back!!!! :jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

I will come here every day just to watch and support and help you in any way I can. :hugs:

JillyBean 07-30-2013 05:17 AM

Hi Potaty!

We sound similar in a few ways. However, I am older than you and I can tell you the losing gets harder as you get older. I hope you "get it" before I did. There is so much more information out there now about low-carb versus calorie counting. I believe low-carb is the way I should have been eating all along. I may have saved myself many roller coaster rides with the scales had I known earlier.

I'm just getting started too. Let's do this!!

Samantha42 07-30-2013 05:23 PM

PS. SUCH a beautiful profile picture. It looks like it's out of a magazine or something!

Potaty 08-05-2013 07:44 PM

So, funny thing....I was so out of the habit of coming here, I forgot about my new journal. I guess that's what happens when you post at 1am, LOL.

So, today I started a 24 day challenge through Advocare for nursing and/or pregnant women. I am still nursing Austen so I feel comfortable doing this program. It's basically 6 small low carb meals per day with some different supplements thrown in (probiotics, fish oils, fiber drink, amino acids, etc).

I have peed approximately a billion times today. I did not weigh this morning but I believe I was still hanging out in the 227 area. I will have to get used to eating so often, that has been kind of strange.

Thanks, everyone for stopping by (Sam :love: ) and I will have to remember to come back tomorrow!

Potaty 08-07-2013 09:24 PM

Things are going well, I have stuck with my program so far. I also did a Zumba workout tonight

kristina 08-08-2013 07:11 AM

so glad to see you back:)

I kept looking for your journal, and here you are:)

DaisyGG 08-08-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potaty (Post 16532926)
This time has to be different than all of the others. I don't want to spend the next 15 years (holy crap, I will be 50 in 15 years...I think I just had a mild heart attack) the same way I spent the last 15.

I am snorting my hard-to-drink water right out of my nose! I remember being 34 and how appalled I once was when my tiny daughter told a woman I was chatting with that her momma was "furty-fur"! She was having trouble with her th-es. Ha! I quickly corrected her so the woman wouldn't think I was SO OLD! Now I'm deep into my 50s! It's all good little girl. You are a young, darling girl.

And don't worry about the restart. We've all been there and now we're all here to help you.

smooches

Daisy

zipp2play 08-09-2013 06:02 AM

You are YOUNG! You can do this and let your journal and this website help you!

Samantha42 08-09-2013 10:04 AM

You can do anything for 24 days! How's it going? :love:

I'm not sure I could eat 6 meals a day, but it sounds like it was working for you! I think that would be good to help control carb-hunger.

Jossy 08-09-2013 03:56 PM

How is the plan working out for you? Hope you are well :)

Potaty 08-09-2013 08:41 PM

Hi everyone, you all made me laugh! Thank you for visiting my journal!

I am still on my plan, although there is just no way for me to eat that often so I am just eating when I have hunger. I have only lost one pound, womp womp. I think I have some thyroid issues, should probably have some tests done. Sam, any recommendations as far as what to test?

kristina 08-10-2013 08:29 AM

oh, thyroid. I had mine checked it was 10 (TSH) he did the T4 too I would have to look up the record of that to remember. I take levothyroxine (generic for Synthroid)and my TSH went down to 3.something. Still a bit high.....

I'm doing Atkins and haven't lost much yet....I weigh 232.8 so not far behind you....

Potaty 08-10-2013 02:40 PM

Kristina, what are your symptoms other than difficult weight loss?

Samantha42 08-10-2013 04:47 PM

Just check TSH and Free T4. Symptoms are weight gain, fatigue, dry skin, constipation, dry brittle hair, being a little "puffy".

Potaty 08-10-2013 09:49 PM

Thanks, Sam. I will try to make it in this week to have that test done. The only thing from your list I have is weight gain. I have admittedly been out of control for the past 6 months so it may just be a result of that. Every time I've had a baby, when my cycle returns I rapidly gain. Weird.

And you know how fast I can usually lose when I'm eating on plan so it's really frustrating for this to be going so slow.

kristina 08-11-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potaty (Post 16554352)
Kristina, what are your symptoms other than difficult weight loss?

I really didn't have any that I could pin down when I was diagnosed. But, I had trouble getting my prescription refilled (in between doctors) and am off the meds..I feel sluggish. Not sleeping very well...I seem to wake up a lot. That could be my sleep apnea changing too though, so it's difficult to tell....how are you doing today?

Potaty 08-11-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristina (Post 16555058)
I really didn't have any that I could pin down when I was diagnosed. But, I had trouble getting my prescription refilled (in between doctors) and am off the meds..I feel sluggish. Not sleeping very well...I seem to wake up a lot. That could be my sleep apnea changing too though, so it's difficult to tell....how are you doing today?

I am doing good, just super frustrated the scale is not moving. I am going to get my blood draw tomorrow, hope to have results in a couple days.

Potaty 08-12-2013 07:48 PM

So today marked on week on plan and I gained back the pound I lost. :/

I went to the lab today and had my TSH, free T4 and reverse T3 done, should get results in a couple days. Hopefully it points me in the right direction!

Gracie514 08-13-2013 06:28 AM

Hi Katy :hiya: I have a "sluggish" thyroid but I don't take any meds. There are ways to naturally help your thyroid or give it a boost. Exercise is definitely one way. If you google it there are other ways. My sister went on Thyroid meds and gained like 25 pounds :eek::eek: Same as my sister in law. She had her thyroid removed and went on the natural thyroid but still gained about 30 lbs. Thyroid is such a tricky thing to regulate too. I hope all of your tests come back good :aprayer:

handbells 08-13-2013 06:57 AM

Hello :)

I started reading your journal because of similar backgrounds. I'm a bit older and have four children, but have struggled with weight gain since the first was born (she's now 13!)

I feel your frustration with not losing. I did not lose for a long time no matter what I did...and I did a lot! From lc to ww to not caring what went into my mouth. I have *finally* found something that works for me and you will too!

Best of luck on your journey!

Potaty 08-14-2013 09:39 AM

Gracie~I don't want to go on thyroid meds so I will definitely look into other options if I need them! Thanks! I am stalking my mailbox, my results should be here any minute....

Jenn~thanks for stopping by! So what finally worked for you? I should just go check out your journal, huh? :)

Potaty 08-14-2013 08:06 PM

Results didn't come today, boo!

handbells 08-14-2013 08:13 PM

Sorry your results didn't come!

I am still tweaking just a bit and am still struggling with giving up refined sugar (trying to use stevia or agave nectar for sweetener). I had given up soda, but recently started drink clear ones (Sprite, ginger ale) and I need to get rid of them too. I did have a biscuit today after not having any grains at all for almost a month. It didn't set off any cravings, but it also didn't taste that great either.

Jossy 08-15-2013 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracie514 (Post 16557375)
Hi Katy :hiya: I have a "sluggish" thyroid but I don't take any meds. There are ways to naturally help your thyroid or give it a boost. Exercise is definitely one way. If you google it there are other ways. My sister went on Thyroid meds and gained like 25 pounds :eek::eek: Same as my sister in law. She had her thyroid removed and went on the natural thyroid but still gained about 30 lbs. Thyroid is such a tricky thing to regulate too. I hope all of your tests come back good :aprayer:

Hi there..I too went on the meds and gained weight and my hair continued to fall out in bunches..I came off and have been doing better...I take coconut oil each day - said to rev metabolism and help the thyroid...

Potaty 08-16-2013 09:05 PM

Tests still not here!

handbells 08-18-2013 04:12 PM

Good grief! Sorry to hear they still aren't in!

Potaty 08-18-2013 09:54 PM

I am going to call the lab in the morning and figure out what is going on.

In other news, baby #4 seems to be on his/her way. :eek::love: Very, very early so I am being cautious with my attachment, EDD April 29