Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
A Young Man's Guide to Atkins/Low Carb (NewestAtkinsFan's Journal)

Hello.

I just happened to come across this thread and noticed it was actually set aside for people to journal or blog their thoughts and feelings as they are on their fitness journey. I have been debating for a while now should I journal or not. I have decided that yes, I should, b/c not only will these insights and 'testimonies' do me good to read over during low-points on this journey but maybe, just maybe it will be insightful, provide motivation, comfort and encourage other readers men and women alike.

So join me as I chronical what has been my most successful attempt to lose weight. Share my ups and downs, frustrations, and celebrations.

Although comments and kudos are always appreciated, this is first and foremost a journal, so any comments, questions or concerns you may have please feel free to PM them to me; I would love to hear from you.

Again, to my journal.
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Finally, something that works! Part I

I wish I knew exactly when my weight struggles began, but it is safe to say that they started in college, more specifically sophmore maybe junior year.

There's an old cliche that I always heard as a child that goes "if you were a skinny baby you'll be a fat adult and vice versa" and "if you're skinny when your younger you will ultimately be fat as an adult and when you get older or vice versa." Guess which category I fall under? Yep, the skinny kid... fat adult premise. And it's true, when I look at old pics of myself I was super skinny, lanky even. But then again, I had to walk half a mile to the bus stop to catch the bus, and I was always playing kickball, and basketball, or riding my back, every single chance I could when I was a kid. That's the real reason why I was skinny- I had regular consistent moment in my life.

Then came college. And with college comes the unhealthy food, alcohol, ordering late night pizzas and drinking sodas on end. Not only did I gain the freshmen 15lbs, I'm willing to bet I gained the sophomore, junior, and senior equivalents as well.

Then one day as I was getting ready for work I put on a pair a pants and noticed that they were a bit snug and tight. I thought to myself "Oh well, time to get a new pair a pants." I took them off and looked at the tag and there in black and white, plain as day it read 48x34.

I was dumbfounded. Had I seriously, just let my weight get this bad? Pardon my language but I would be damned if I was caught wearing 50-inch-waisted pants. So, I started exercising. I did everything and anything I could think of. It was all in fads, for one quarter of the year I was all about running- running, running, running. It didn't stick. My knees hurt, feet hurt, I threw in the towel. Another time I tried bike riding.. bought a bike, got on it, and less than a month, I had an accident and needless to say have washed my hands of bike riding ever since.

Then one day I just thought about fitness and exercise. And with this meta-cognition I told myself, sometimes the simplest way gives the greatest results. I liked that theory and so I walked. Nothing else, I walked. I walked the sidewalk around my apt. complex, I walked the back roads around the area, I walked the local college campus when I had a mind to. I walked when I thought enough of it to. It was NOT an everyday thing, I wish it had been, but probably at most I walked 2x a week maybe 4 or 5 on a really good week. I did this for over a year. Soon my 48x34s became 46x34s.

I was happy, but then again, not happy b/c I knew I was still fat and grossly overweight and like most people these days I was wanting instant gratification. I wanted what I call those "infomercial empty promises" I wanted to lose an inch in 7 days I wanted to lose 10lbs in 10 days and all that jazz but it just wasn't meant to be.

But then 2013 came. Unlike previous years I refused to make exercising and fitness my new year's resolution. 2013 was just going to be another year. Months went by and in March 2013 a dinner outing with a friend would mark the next chapter in my life.

TO BE CONTINUED
Old 07-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Finally, something that works! Part II

Mid March 2013

I went to dinner with one of my good friends and noticed something different about her. I noticed that there was MUCH less of her. Needless to say that the dinner mainly focused on her and what she was doing. She told me how she was doing a low carb program, as well as hitting it hard in the gym with a personal trainer. I couldn't help and see how good she looked.

I couldn't let the dinner end without asking her what prompted her to do it. In so many words she said that she wanted a change, she wanted to do something good for herself, she was tired of her weight keeping her from enjoying her life. I thought to myself; that is exactly how I feel.

I hate to admit it, but I basically stalked her for the next couple of days. I asked her for recipes, I asked her for any books she may have read, I asked her what exercises she was doing, you name it I probably asked.

While discussing my friend's great with another friend, the other friend commented to me "Sounds a lot like Atkins." I looked at her weird. It then started a whole knew round of Q&A.... "What is Atkins?" "What's the rules?" "What am I allowed to eat?" She was one smart cookie.. she told me "everything you need to know is online." And so I looked online, and she was right, everything I wanted to know/the answers to my questions were all online.

I read, and I read, and I read and I liked what I was reading. Finally, a diet plan that I could live with b/c just between you and me, salad after salad does not a happy NewestAtkinsFan make, know what I'm saying?!!!

And then it dawned on me. Maybe this is why the numerous times I've tried to lose weight before over the years it either didn't work, or only slightly worked I had no diet plan. What's the point of exercising if you are just going to add back whatever you would have burned with potato chips, french fries drowned in ketchup? It made perfect sense to me.

So, I bought a notebook, one of those 3 subject notebooks. We're talking 120 pages, wide-rule. I was going to journal and right down everything from thoughts. To frustrations, to recipes, and of course my daily food intake.

April 3, 2013, that's the day that I started to love myself again and put myself first.

Atkins Induction was easier than I thought it would be. I'm a meat and potatoes type of guy in the first place so this diet plan was pretty much just that minus the potatoes of course. It was day 4 when I experienced the fabled "Atkins Flu" it was only 24hrs. Since then I have not felt bad or sick on this diet/WOE since. Cross-my-heart. Nada. I've been just fine.

The first 2 weeks went by and I saw my face getting a little thinner. Still in 46in waist pants I didn't feel comfortable moving on to the 2nd phase of Atkins, so I decided that I was going to complete on-going Induction.

So, I completed a 2nd round of Induction. It was then exactly day 28 that a co-worker approached me and asked me if I was sick b/c it looked as if I had lost some weight. I told her no, not sick, but yes, I am trying to lose some weight. She complimented me saying that it was indeed working.

I cannot tell you how happy that 2 minute conversation made me feel. For someone to notice "hey, there is something different about you..' it just lets you know that YES, this is working, YES, you have finally found something that is working, and YES, all this work and effort is not for nothing . And it's also the motivation to continue.

And so I did, I continued. Which brings me to where I am now... today... July 19, 2013, which is day 107 of low carb living! Now, have I been perfect all 107 days, no, of course not. There have been days that I have fallen off the wagon, there have been days I've eaten 50carbs instead of my standard 20 carbs, there's been at least 2 days that I have had whole milk, and yes, I have been to McDonald's at least 5x, but you know... that's okay. After all LC is supposed to be way of eating, you have to allow splurges every now and then. There are going to be times you want that salad, or wish to reward yourself with a treat. These things happen.

And now from the time I started on April 3rd to now, I have dropped to a 42in waist, I've picked up jump roping (which is a great exercise for fat loss), I'm building my knowledge on low carb foods, etc. and thanks to this website, I found countless motivation through people and there stories.

I guess you could say I am just trying to Play-it-Forward with this blog of mine. Share some of my insight and advice and above all humble opinions. But this does seem to finally be something that works for me, and if you just give it a try whether it be just low carb or a more specific plan like Atkins, I'm sure it will work for you too.

Wishing you all the very best!
-NewestAtkinsFan

Last edited by NewestAtkinsFan; 07-19-2013 at 04:17 PM..
Old 07-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Favorite Recipes Vol. I

Everyone has come across at least one recipe that they love or enjoy or at the very least has kept them satisfied while doing Low Carb/Atkins/Meat&Eggs. With this journal I plan to write down some of my own favorites (mainly for my own benefit and that I don't forget them) but also for anyone else who may be looking for a recipe or just doesn't know how to go about fixing something or is looking for a brand new way.

Here are the first two entries:

Arualgirl's To Die For Cream Cheese Cheesecake Muffins

*Arualgirl is the person who shared this recipe with me, so I credit her with the recipe.

Step one: Place all ingredients in a big bowl for mixing
2 packages of cream cheese
2 eggs
3/4 cup sweetener (NewestAtkinsFan prefersTruvia)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
optional additional steps
1 teaspoon of another extract (example: orange extract, lemon extract, etc.)

Step two: use a mixer to make the batter smooth, then divide into the muffin cups and bake about 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Never Tough Perfectly Cooked Chicken Breasts

Step 1: Let frozen chicken breasts thaw
Step 2: Set oven to 350 degrees
Step 3: Spray a cooking pan with cooking spray (I like PAM)
Step 4: Place the rinsed chicken breasts on the backing pan. Season the chicken as desired (common condiments include salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, etc.)
Step 5: Place the chicken in the oven and cook for 30 mins at 350 degrees.
Step 6: Remove from oven, let cool and eat. Refrigerate what is not eaten or used.

Last edited by NewestAtkinsFan; 07-20-2013 at 10:19 AM..
Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sloppail
Stats: 150/145/136 5' 3"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD Restart January 1 2014
HI !

Sounds like you have it all figured out! Congrats on 100+ days on LC...your results are speaking for themselves...Great job and good luck on your journey

Kim
sloppail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

7/21/13: Weigh-In Day; From a 5lb loss last week to a 3lb gain this week

Just went for a weigh-in and the results are not good. I have gained 3.8lbs in the past 5 days.

It's frustrating b/c 5 days ago when I weighed myself, I had lost 5.6lbs.

I'm going to believe what many people have echoed in these threads that half of this weight (3.8lbs in my case) is water weight, so I've gained 1.9lbs-- in theory anyway.

I'm looking back at my notebook to see just what happened this week to possibly cause such a gain rather than a loss. Feel free to comment on any if you wish. These are the things that popped into my mind/I saw:

1) I did more strength training than cardio/aerobics this week. With the rain everyday, it made it hard to go outside and do stuff. On the 2 days I did get in a workout these 5 days, they were strength training circuits. They say muscle weighs more than fat. . . could that be it?

2) I wasn't doing it 100% clean. I already know that this had to play a part in the gains so no need to comment on this one. LOL It wasn't just meat and eggs. On the first day I had 4oz of orange juice, just b/c I hadn't had juice in months. . . a serving of cheese melt at 2 different meals on Monday.... I had jello (and it wasn't sugar free) on Tuesday, Thursday instead of 20-carbs I recorded that in truth I had 43-carbs (that's over 2 days worth for me). I also dipped into the Peanut Butter Jar Friday and Saturday.

3) I was introduced to bulletproof broth this week. I read about it somewhere and I had about 4 servings (2 on Friday, and 2 on Saturday). I know broth has sodium... is that causing me to retain water? Should I say "NO" to the bulletproof broth?

***.* ,what I weighed-in at this morning is almost as high as ***.* the weight I was when I first bought my scale and weighed myself for the very first time this month. But I look leaner/skinnier, at least to me I do. Is that weird? You know, to weigh a certain amount just like you have in the past but to look way better/leaner/trimmer/skinnier?

So, this is where I stand now. I had planned to go back home and visit family, but i think I will hold off on all that until I drop the 3.8lbs. I am going to keep meat and eggs clean, and incorporate the jump rope as much as possible this week.

My next round of meat and eggs begins. . . NOW!! Next weigh-in is Thursday.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Words of Encouragement and Motivation

Hello.

Let's face it, there are times/will be times/have been times that ALL of us have had a bad day or week with low-carb. There is no way around it. We get caught up with the number on the scale and so frustrated with the daily fluctuations of our bodies (but it can't help it, it's just what it does). It's amazing how these 2 minor things, and when you really analyze it, they are very minor, that cause so many of us to change our routine, change our regimen, binge, sabotage ourselves, and worst of all, quit low-carb all together.

I thought it would be nice to post some words of comfort and motivation.

The following two comments come from 2 class-act gals here on the forum/site and I have been very fortunate to talk to them through the threads and get there insight and feedback. I know that when I am in moments of self-doubt and self-loathing, I just go to my refrigerator to look over and read these same words that I'm about to place here in this post.

Who knows, maybe, just maybe these words will be motivating and encouraging to some of you as well. Happy Low Carbing!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

originally posted by maepowers 7/21/2013

Hey NAF: we all have off weeks or days. You get back up and you'll be fine. I think it is a combo of everything and your body wacked out a little. You'll have a whoosh again. (hmm, think I'll write a book and call it Whooshed, lol).
Remember, your body wdight fluctuates daily; and that also goes weekly. It could be you were under stress or duress; your body and chemsitry might just needed shaking up or it said hold on I'm gonna tweak myself. Even when we do it right, it's possible we can gain. So don't stress it, tweak it. Alternate the exercises or drop one for a few days. Drink extra water, it will flush it back in to behaving . No kidding. Using your journal/diary helped you. you'll see, it will work itself out of you. Take care; you'll be fine. Mae

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

originally posted by tashydoll on 6/30/2013

Hi, thanks for the kind words, but honestly no secrets here If I could make some suggestions to you here they are:
1. Do it clean; no processed meats, no cheese. Just eggs, unprocessed meat and fats.
2. Which brings me to my next point, don't be afraid of the fat! You need it, lots of it, so just eat it and don't second guess yourself on it. It will stop protein poisoning and it will keep you full and away from snacking.
3. Watch your salt intake; this means bacon, sausages etc. Best to limit or steer clear altogether to avoid it and water retention.
4. Tweak it; try something for 3 days and if you gain then change it up. Everyone's body is different and responds differently to this WOE. . . And if you do cheat, get straight back on the horse the next day and do at least a day of M&E (even if you had planned to take the day off). I find that doing this gets my head straight, eliminates the cravings that I may have created for myself and it is disciplined ie. . .
Lastly, cut yourself some slack - it's a marathon, not a sprint. Think about how long it takes a person to gain a certain amount of weight, years. It's going to take at least that long (and probably longer) to lose it Don't forget we are all here to help you and try to answer any questions that you may have. Chin up

Old 07-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Hey - glad to see you are keeping a journal. Good luck with everything, and I'm looking forward to following your progress!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Success Story: Biggest 'whoosh' so far!

July 25, 2013

I am happy to say I LOST weight this round July 21-25th. . . I lost 6.4lbs.

According to my notebook where I write EVERYTHING down, that makes a combined loss of 8.2lbs for the month of July 2013. This is the biggest round 'whoosh' that I've had to date if i'm not mistaken.

What I did different this round compared to the last round where I gained:

1. All my exercise was strictly and only cardio. 2x out of these 5 days I did jump rope (no fancy jumps either, just the basic two-footed-basic bounce) and 2x I walked the local university (it's 2miles) so I'm def. sure cardio played a good part.

2. The egg fast Tuesday and Wednesday. They say eggs are a diuretic and they may very well be b/c I've never visited the toilet so often in the past 48hrs. It def. helped me lose some stubborn water weight no doubt. LOL In truth, it is not a difficult fast, but it is not a FAST I could see myself on comfortably for more than 3-4 days. Just my humble opinion.

3. Warning: I do not want this reason/explanation to cause any debate, all I know is I did this before a few weeks prior, and I got better than average losses that week too. So I may keep doing it. I counted 0carb foods and products as 1carb in my daily allowance logs. It may sound silly, but this works for me. If a tiny egg, as innocent, and pure as it is has been classified as having 1carb (at least the eggs I buy), certainly anything that has 0carbs under its nutritional facts (HWC, Mayo, Mustard) must have at least a trace as well in large quantities. So, I mark it as 1carb. Again, this is just what I've started doing and it has attributed to better success for me it seems. Again, this is just what worked for me; just being honest about my documenting.

And that's it! Very content, Very happy. I'm going to head out of town for a few days, I hope I can stick to plan as best as possible, but if not...every grocery store in town sells eggs, so i'll be okay.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

People will notice even when you do not

Hello all. It has been a while since I've posted, so I thought I would leave a word of encouragement and inspiration.

Well, the summer vacation has officially ended for me, I've used up all my vacation time until the holidays come, so I went back to work today. Six people, count them, six co-workers commented to me about how skinny I have gotten over the past few weeks, one of them, my own boss.

I REALLY needed to hear the positive feedback today. With all the cookouts and things and what not, I knew that my diet wasn't 100% clean. In fact I was rather upset with myself that I wasn't/hadn't gotten pencil thin this summer, but then again, I have always been impatient when it comes to my weight and what not.

The scale could have said I lost 20lbs, but I tell you, it's still pale to when a living, breathing, person says "you look great!" or "have you lost weight?" it's an amazing feeling. It lets you know that the work, the struggle, the taking of notes, the counting of carbs, the spending an hour to prepare 3 days worth of meals is all worth it.

Take it from me, I know how it feels to be disappointed when you look in the mirror and you want to say "I see no change" or "nothing is happening" but believe me it is. Remember, if you are not losing pounds, you are losing inches. Each has to take its turn.

The kind words and comments from my co-workers was just what I need to get all refreshed and filled with new zeal about low carb WOE.

I'm going to jump start this newest round with an Egg Fast-- it really does help drop weight fast if you have never tried it.

I just hope that this little "talk" has inspired someone, or motivated someone to not give up. Just remember, people will notice this change for the better that you are doing for yourself even when you yourself do not. DO NOT STOP! KEEP GOING! GO FOR THE GOAL!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Update: 8/27/2013

I've completed another round (it's been 5 days), so I thought I would post my latest weigh-in results whether they be good, bad or indifferent.

I am so pleased with myself. I have lost 2.8lbs! I am now exactly 7lbs now from achieving my next goal. Ecstatic just scraps the surface of how I am feeling today.

This round (the past 5 days) I did things a little differently. For the past 3 weeks or so, I would dedicate at least one day to strictly Egg Fast (you know, I ate only eggs all day long). This go-around I DID NOT do a strict Egg Fast; instead I just stuck to low carb.

Things I have eaten the past 5 days:

-Low Carb Meatloaf with a TBSP of ketchup
-Lime Jello
-Lemon Tea Stix (I prefer these over Crystal Lights)(0 calories and 0 carbs)
-Egg Salad (usually for lunch)
-Green Beans
-Pepperoni slices

I also gave into weakness and had a few tablespoons of Peter Pan Creamy Peanut Butter. So as you can see, I was not 100% clean in my eating this week, yet, I still had a loss.

Today I am now at my lowest weight since starting low carb/Atkins back on April 3, 2013.

You all have no idea how proud I am that I have actually kept up this "diet" for over 4 months now (it's not a diet it's a WOE) and how impressed I am with the weight falling off/lowering so 'effortlessly.'

Today, a co-worker from another branch came to my workplace and she stopped me and asked "_____, are you losing weight?" I didn't hear what she said at first, and asked her to repeat herself. One of my co-workers intervened and blurted out "Yes, he is. Doesn't he look good?" I smiled. I'm just glad that my efforts are showing on the outside.

I can't believe it.. 7lbs to my next goal. I hope this update can serve as motivation to anyone who is struggling or having a bit of difficulty on LC/M&E/Atkins, etc. If you just do your part, the body will do its part just give it a chance.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what my initial beginning weight was back on April 3rd when I started this journey, but I do know (since I've taken notes and keep a journal, etc.) since I bought my scale 2 months ago (which these days it is def. a friend and not an enemy [a little inside joke there about a thread I started awhile back]) I have been able to keep off 15lbs.

Here's hoping the next 5 days lead me to my next goal!!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Something I never get tired of

Yesterday (Thursday, 9/12/13) another co-worker came up to me and he said "Are you losing pounds?" This struck me a little odd. I snickered when he asked me that b/c when I think of "dropping pounds" I think of an Englishman going to the Bank of England paying off a mortgage... that's losing some pounds. LOL I've always heard and called it "losing weight!"

Anyway, I told him yes, I was and of course he congratulated me on a "doing a good job." Then he asked the million dollar question; "What program are you doing?" Rather than say "Atkins" or "Meat & Eggs" I just said "I've lowered my carb in-take." He smiled and said "you know, I've heard that makes a big difference for some people." And he congratulated me again on the trimmer look and walked on his way.

I suppose the point of this post is compliments are something I rarely get in general, and when it's compliments on my weight... or the fact that I'm losing it these days that's something I never get tired of.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Personal "testimonial" inspiration

Week of 15th-21st
This was a crazy week. Lots going on at work and to top it all off a family member was in the hospital (he's okay and back at home now). I also was using this week to get over the last bit of that flu-like bug that I caught, so you know what that meant; lots of chicken noodle soup, orange juice, onions, feeling to poorly to cook so several trips to the fast food place for breakfast. My weigh-in day is Saturday and I quickly did it before taking off to spend the weekend with family. I was not surprised when the scale told me that I had gained weight. +3.8lbs to be exact. As disappointed as it was I was also proud, it was the first time I had gained in 7 weeks...very first time. Needless to say I didn't feel to terrible about it.

Week of 22nd-28th
With the family crisis gone and my cold 100% gone now, I decided it was time to get back to "what works" for me. Monday night after work I took off my work clothes and put on my apron and went to work in the kitchen. Cleaned out the refrigerator and stocked it up with my "success foods." Quiches, low carb meatloaf, several pitchers of my "tea", HWC, etc. and from Tuesday - literally now I have stayed on course and eaten only what I've made. And wouldn't you know it, at this morning's weigh-in I was back on track. I lost 4.2lbs this week. So not only did I get rid of the 3.8lbs I gained last week, but an extra 0.4lbs decided to tag along for the ride.

As of today, 9/28/13--I am 4.8lbs from my next goal. Hopefully I can get there by next Saturday, we shall see.

I haven't seen my regular barber in two months, we had a good chat about how good I looked and his wanting to know what I've been doing. It was my needed ego-boost for the week.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Another Post of Personal Motivation

Hello all!

I have a bit of updating and some venting to do with this update, so please bear with me here.

10/5/13: I gained 1.2lbs
So, the continously losing streak had to end sometime. And I'll admit I was a bad boy. You have to understand, Fall/Autumn is my favorite season. And with the changing of the color of the leaves and the crisp, cold, morning air comes the desire of wanting warm beverages. I drank more cups of coffee that week than I have all of September I believe. And it was not bulletproof coffee, it was several small cups of coffee with regular creamer and before I knew it, I had used the entire container. (I told you I was a bad boy) But, to only gain 1.2lbs. . . I was very grateful and surprisingly shocked. Before my Low Carb WOE I swear, I could have just looked at a pizza or cake or just smell a batch of freshly baked cookies, and I would gain 5-10 lbs automatically.

10/12/13: I gained 1.0lbs
I learned from the previous week about all the coffee with creamer drinking, so that wasn't my vice this week. This week it was. . . Halloween Candy. There they were in those giant "value packs"-- Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Mello Creme Pumpkins made with real honey (prefer those over candy corn). So, I ate candy Tues. - Friday. Realizing that today was my weigh-in day, I tried to make myself come to terms that I've probably gained anywhere from 4-7lbs. based on the way I was wolfing-down all those pumpkins and peanut butter cups. But, surprise, surprise, it was only one, even, pound. I was overjoyed.

But, it is back to reality. I've had my "holiday," my "fun in the sun," and now it is time for me to get back on the bandwagon and focus on the goal I started over 6 months ago.

Back in April when I started I probably weighed right at 350lbs if not over. I didn't have a scale in the house then, so I'm not exactly sure. Today, I weigh 306.4 lbs. I need to buckle down this week with another egg fast, etc., so next Saturday at this time I am in "Twoderville." At least I think that is the coined phrase for being in the 200s around here on this site.

Anyway, thanks for reading and the continued support folks. Talk to you again real soon, and remember "Keep Your Eyes on the Prize." Cheers!

NAF
Old 11-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

NewestAtkinsFan goes to Twoderville!!!

Well, the moment I have been anticipating since April 2013 is here; I am in Twoderville! Here's hoping I have seen the last of the 300s for good!

I'm filled with a lot of feelings at the moment: I'm proud that I have stuck with this WOE for 6+ months now, I can't believe that I was able to get to this goal despite not eating on strict plan this week (there were several carb filled meals). I am amazed with eggs. It never ceases to amaze me how this "wonder food" does so much in aiding health and weight loss. I gave my low carb meatloaf a break and went with eating quiches this week. We all know that eggs are the main ingredients in quiches and thus I give credit to eggs for helping me drop the last 3 lbs I needed to get to Twoderville.

Highlights this week:

Monday 10/28: A coworker complimented me on how much weight I have lost. I lost 6lbs in October.

Thursday 10/31: I bought a navy striped suit. I bought it hoping that it would fit nicely now that I've lost 35lbs+. I was right, It fits like a dream. It's going to look and feel and fit even better as I continue to lose more weight.

Twoderville! Twoderville! Twoderville! Twoderville! Twoderville!

Old 12-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Getting Back to Business

Okay, so I have a confession to make. I've been "bad" for about a month. It started on Halloween and has ended... hopefully, today.

Now, I am not too mad at myself, but I did have a heart to heart with myself and have decided that it is time to get started getting back to business. After all, I came so far with this low carb way of living. Got as low as 299... technically and officially made it to Twoderville, and now for the past month have been hovering between 305-309lbs.

I am grateful and relieved to know that most of that is water weight from the holiday eating and the intake of carbs and all, but still... I had made it into 200s, I want to be back there... so I am going to go back on plan.

That means I MUST do the things that I haven't been doing for the past month.

1. Go back to my "magnificent 7" foods-- the foods that helped me lose weight and keep it off.

2. It means I've GOT to go back to my exercising; like it or love it. I will be honest... that month of non-movement did me in.That 10mins of high intensity jumping (jump rope) and/or those 2 miles of walking really did make all the difference between losing two pounds or gaining two pounds during the course of the week. Needless to say, for the past month I have gained weight each week. So, I've got to start moving again.

3. I am also going to go back to posting and sharing my results. I stayed more dedicated and "with the program" when I knew I had a "responsibility" to report and possibly being someone's inspiration motivated me to keep going.

So yeah.. it's time to combine all of that stuff (that I haven't been doing) and put it into proactive play.

But I am giving myself 23 days (Dec. 1-23) to really put my plan into action. Wish me luck. Dec. 23rd will be here before we know it.

NewestAtkinsFan
Old 12-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Update:

Today is Tuesday. I weighed myself this morning just to see if I'm heading in the right direction. I have already lost 3lbs since Sunday. I hope that this momentum continues until I weigh myself again on Saturday.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:01 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Success! This week I stuck to the plan and it paid off!

At the beginning of November, I finally reached Twoderville, and I suppose the thrill and excitement of it all made me forget just how hard I had to work to get there for the previous 7 months. I gained weight. I put myself on a "short leash" and got back on track; lost some weight the next weigh-in Unfortunately, the following week was my birthday, and a few days later was Thanksgiving (not the best combination), so I gained and before I realized it, I had gained about 7lbs.

That was a wake-up-call for me. I slammed on the brakes in my mind and had a self evaluation with myself.

Starting 12/1 I went back to my habits and ways that allowed me to become successful with my weight and this low carb WOE; I went back to writing down what I ate/sticking to a low carb menu. That meant if it wasn't on the menu, I didn't get to eat it (kind of like what they do at school with students [this is what's to eat today, like it, love it, or loathe it. . . harsh, but effective.]) I went back to my cardio exercising (got it in 2x this week Sunday and Tuesday; it really does make a difference), and I got back to coming here to share my feedback and results. There's just something motivating about knowing you have to "report" or "give an update" that automatically sets the switch on motivation to "work to succeed." At least for me it does.

12/1 - 12/7, 2013 I lost 9.8 lbs this week!

Granted, we all know the "laws of weight loss" and about 5lbs of this was water-weight from all the "dirty eating" and all, but a loss is a loss and 9.8lbs is pretty darn good if you ask me. Of course, this means next Saturday's (my weigh-in day) results will not be as significant, but that's fine by me as long as it's a loss. I plan to repeat this week's exercise schedule and menu next week. Hopefully, I will be back in Twoderville by this time next Saturday; that's the goal anyway.

I'm a very happy man this morning!
Old 12-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

my biggest loss in a week to date

during the week of December 1st through December 7th, I lost a total of 9.8 pounds. That is the biggest weight loss I've had during the course of one week..
Old 12-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I received another compliment today

A coworker talked to me today. She said " you have lost quite a bit of weight haven't you?" I cannot tell you how good it felt to hear her compliment. Sometimes that's just the motivation we need to keep going.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Another week of being on plan pays off

I just couldn't help myself, so I weighed myself a day early (Friday instead of Saturday). I weighed in at 297.0, so, for the 2nd time I have entered into Twoderville. Which Christmas and hat not on its way, It's going to be hard to stick to plan, but I am going t try very hard and put in as much exercise as I can the following week as well. Another week of being on plan seems to have paid off.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post
. . .

12/1 - 12/7, 2013 I lost 9.8 lbs this week!

Granted, we all know the "laws of weight loss" and about 5lbs of this was water-weight from all the "dirty eating" and all, but a loss is a loss and 9.8lbs is pretty darn good if you ask me. Of course, this means next Saturday's (my weigh-in day) results will not be as significant, but that's fine by me as long as it's a loss. I plan to repeat this week's exercise schedule and menu next week. Hopefully, I will be back in Twoderville by this time next Saturday; that's the goal anyway. . . .

I did meet the goal; I am back in Twoderville! I lost 5.4lbs this week.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: Low Carb ala JUDDD
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
YAY!
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BellaRose
Good Job...

You gained but got right back on track.
"weigh to go"!

Great loss's..Keep it up!
BellaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:57 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
YAY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaRose View Post
You gained but got right back on track.
"weigh to go"!

Great loss's..Keep it up!

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words of support!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I lost 16lbs this season

Well, it is officially Winter here in the United States. I thought it would be neat to see just how much weight I lost in total this season. The first day of Fall was September 22nd according to the calendar, so from September 22- December 21st, I lost 16lbs... with fluctuations, hits-and-misses, and a couple of falls-off-the-wagon, along the way. But you know, that is normal and to be expected. But to lose 16lbs in 59 days, that's not too shabby!

I am a BIG supporter of journaling/and writing things down. That way when you have a moment of reflection (like I am doing here) you have documentation.

This season/the past 59 days I had...

4 verbal compliments on my weight loss (2 of them in the same week back in Oct.)
3 weeks of gaining weight (but 6 weeks of lossing/weight loss)
2 occasions where I endulged myself (birthday and Thanksgiving)
and 1 new suit as a reward and added motivation to staying slimmer and trimmer (it was clearance; couldn't pass it up).

Here's hoping I have just as much success in Winter as I did during the FALL.

Cheers all!

NAF

Last edited by NewestAtkinsFan; 12-22-2013 at 09:34 AM..
Old 01-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Happy 2014!

It's a new year and I am looking forward to a healthier and slimmer me this year... esp. by the summer time.

For my first round of M&E/Low Carb (January 3-10) I lost a total of 4 pounds even.

Notes from the past week:

1) Cheese is a staller. No matter how small or large whether it's cheddar or mozarella, it is a staller, and should be saved for splurge days.

2) There's something about jello. I do not know what it is, but the days I ate jello gave me the biggest drops the next day that I weighed myself. (Note: I did weigh myself everyday this week, just to get back into the mentality of being conscious of my weight, BUT I realize I cannot do this long term. I get too stressed from the fluctuations during the week.)

3) I like fried eggs. All my life whenever I had eggs they were either scrambled or hard boiled, but I like fried eggs!!!!

4) Not to gloat, but I was able to have pancakes this week, and still not gain.. I still lost.... on a days, I did NO cardio at all. Probably can't do it again next week, and I probably shouldn't (don't want to go into bad habits) not when I am so close to reaching a new weight low for myself.

Cheers!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Some Interesting Reading/Reference Material

Someone from the Meat and Egg Thread posted the following, which I found to be very interesting:

From Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution, Fourth Printing, December 1972, pages 136-140:

Quote:
Meat: Steaks, corned beef, lamb chops, tongue, hamburgers, bacon, any kind of meat in any quantity--except meat with fillers such as sausage, hot dogs, meatballs, most packaged "cold cuts". (Italics his.)

Fowl: Duckling, turkey, chicken, anything with wings, no stuffing.

Desserts: Gelatin with artificial sweeteners (e.g., D-Zerta).

Condiments: Salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, vanilla and other extracts; artificial sweeteners; any dry powdered spice that contains no sugar.

Drinks: Water, mineral water, Vichy, club soda, beef or chicken broth, bouillon, sugar-free diet soda; coffee*, tea, decaffeinated coffee.

*Special note on caffeine and Diet Cola. Because most heavy people have some hypoglycemia, coffee, which contains caffeine, should be limited to six servings a day (cups). If you know you have low blood sugar, better limit it to three. As of the date of publication, Diet Rite Cola and Diet Pepsi contain not only caffeine, but a significant amount of carbohydrate, so, fair warning, read the labels even on diet drinks carefully and control your intake accordingly. (Italics his.)

Fish: All fish, including canned salmon, tuna; any kind of seafood, including oil-packed and smoked, except oysters, clams, mussels, scallops, and pickled fish. (Italics his.)

Eggs: Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, omelet--any style and with no limitations,

Salads: Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers and radishes. Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies. Or else a sour pickle in place of a salad. Plus . . . green olives.

(Butter and Mayonnaise) Fats: Butter, margarine, oils, shortening, lard, mayonnaise. (Fats have no carbohydrates.)

Juice: Juice of one lemon or lime.

Cheese: Four ounces a day of any hard, aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.

Heavy Cream: Four teaspoons a day. (Cream has less carbohydrate than milk, so don't use milk.)

The Diet Revolution Vegetables: Asparagus, avocado, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, beet greens, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, chard, Chinese cabbage, eggplant, kale, kohlrabi, mushrooms, okra, onions, peppers, pumpkin, rhubarb, sauerkraut, snow pea pods, spinach, string beans, summer squash, tomatoes, turnips, water chestnuts, wax beans, zucchini squash.

The Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, chicory, Chinese cabbage, chives, cucumber, endive, escarole, fennel, lettuce, olives (green or black), onions, pickles (sour or dill), parsley, peppers, radishes, scallions, watercress.

The Diet Revolution No-No's. (This is not a complete list, by any means.) For you they're poison--don't forget it. Bananas, beans (except green or wax), bread, cake, candy, cashews, cereal, chewing gum, cookies, corn, cornstarch, crackers, dates, figs, flour, dried fruit, honey, ice cream, jam, catsup, macaroni, milk, pancakes, peas, sweet pickles, potatoes (white and sweet), raisins, sweet relish, rice, spaghetti, sugar, syrup, yams, sweetened yogurt.

NO "MISTAKES." Sometimes, a single stick of chewing gum or putting milk in your coffee could put you right back to Level One--by upsetting the new chemical balance in your body. Yes, even that much carbohydrate over your tolerance level can turn off your fat-mobilizing hormone. Then you'll need at least two no-carbohydrate days to get it circulating again so that you're unhungry, feeling high, and burning off fat again.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

More interesting thoughts/reading

More insight into Atkins '72

Originally, Dr. Atkins’ low carb diet was an elimination diet. He took almost everything away from you, except for what you body needed to survive. He did that because many of his patients had gastrointestinal problems. He didn’t want them eating fiber. That’s why his diet was so strict back then. He had many patients who were allergic to wheat. He had many patients who had blood glucose problems. Back then, he talked mostly about hypoglycemia, which is a sign of exhausted adrenals from food sensitivities and intolerances or autoimmune problems such as celiac disease or gluten intolerance.

So if he took almost everything away for that first week, what did he allow?

Meat, including bacon (but NO sausage, hot dogs, store-bought meatballs or lunch meat)
Poultry
Fish (but no oysters, mussels, scallops or pickled fish)
Eggs without limit
Cheese, hard and aged, 4 ounces daily (but NO cream cheese or cheese spreads)
Heavy cream, 4 teaspoons per day
Butter, margarine, oils, shortening, lard, mayonnaise
Lemon or lime juice, one fresh squeezed per day
Salad, 2 small per day, each less than one loosely packed cup: leafy greens and celery or cucumbers and radishes.
Salad Dressings: oil and vinegar only, but you could use herbs and spices, some of your grated cheese allowance, crumbled bacon, or chopped eggs.
If you grew tired of salad, you could have one sour pickle instead. Plus, a few green olives.
Condiments: salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, extracts, spices that contained no sugar, and artificial sweetener (which at that time was Sweet n Low)
Dessert: sugar-free gelatin, which you could top with some of your heavy cream allowance if you didn’t put it in your coffee
Drinks: water, mineral water, club soda, beef or chicken broth/bouillon, diet soda, coffee, tea

*His restriction on caffeine at that time was 6 cups per day due to its tendency to contribute to hypoglycemia. If you knew you had hypoglycemia issues, then the limit was 3.

Now, that’s what you got for the first week. It is a completely different diet than what low carbers call Induction today. It works extremely well to clean out all allergens except for cow’s dairy and corn derivatives if you don’t know where to find them. It’s designed to clean out wheat and other grains because those are the problems that most of his patients had. Back then, corn would not have been found in oils, meat processing techniques, and dairy products,

While Atkins was preaching a luxurious, “don’t be afraid of fat” diet in 1972, he wasn’t doing that two decades later. In 1992 and 1999, Atkins was cautioning people to be realistic with their dieting attempts, similar to how Dr. Eades has been trying to tell folks for several years now that calories do matter. You can’t eat sticsk of butter or a can of nuts every day and expect to reach goal weight. For most folks, that isn’t going to happen. The first idea that struck home with me was that if you are not losing weight, then either your carbohydrate intake, your dietary fat intake, or your overall calories are too high.

In our super-sized society, most of us have lost sight of what a two-thirds cup of vegetables even is. That is what was considered an Atkins’ vegetable serving in 1992. In 1972, it was only one-half of a cup, and the type of vegetables allowed was extremely limited. In 2002, that serving increased to one cup and the list of vegetables had grown quite lengthy, but I’d be willing to bet that no one was actually measuring out their loosely packed single cup of salad, let alone their other veggies at each meal.

By default, the earlier Atkins’ diets were lower in fat and calories than an average Atkins Diet is today because there wasn’t enough vegetable matter allowed to hold all of those extra goodies. If you get two loosely packed cups of salad per day and one-half to two-thirds cup of vegetables, measured out accurately, what are you going to put your sour cream and butter on? A serving of pork rinds was a single ounce, heavy cream was limited to 4 teaspoons per day, and fats and oils were permitted in “moderate” portions only.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:31 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Round: Saturday, Jan. 11 - Friday, January 17

During this past round I lost 5.8 lbs

I'm very excited about that, esp. since that means I am only 2.6lbs from an all time low on Low Carb WOE.

Today, marks the 3rd time I have entered Twoderville (weighing 299 or less). Saturday is usually my splurge day, but I can't risk losing this momentum and all. It's just not worth it.

What I did this week:

1. I did not exercise at all. I am upset with that I was really wanting to get in some jump rope this week, BUT if I ever needed proof that you can lose weight on low carb without exercise, this was it... 5.8lbs is impressive.

2. Wed, Thurs, and Friday I did the Atkins '72 + 2x (you can have it at 2 meals) a small salad/pickle... I did the Dill Kosher Pickle Spear. It contributed to 3.2lbs loss for me

3. I only did one day of the pancakes this week... next week I am going to aim for none.

4. Had creamsicle lime jello everyday... there must be something about jello/gelatin that helps with this woe and contributing to weight loss.

5. I drank a lot more plain water than I usually do during the week. I'm sure that helped also.

Cheers!

NAF