Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qurlybee
Stats: s10/s8/s4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post
Speaking of fat loss, I was reading someone's post about how a woman lost all kinds of fat and gained muscle, but still ended up being the same weight of 155lbs. Thats kind of the way ive been feeling about myself and my weight these days... I could care less if I weighed 350lbs again, if it was a muscular and healthy 350, and there lies my problem, or did anyway....it was a chubby, out of shape 350lbs. But I can look back and smile and know that I have now gained the knowledge to get myself where I want to be on this Fat loss journey.

Unfortunately, I am not "beach body ready" at the moment.... but who knows what August may bring or Summer 2015 if I am blessed enough to live and see it. But that is okay. I am already happier, healthier, and skinner than I was at this time last summer, and if I play my cards right I will be able to say the exact same to myself next summer in 2015 about right now!

Wishing everyone the very best in their low carb ventures.

NAF
This made me smile. I'm so happy for you, NAF!
qurlybee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Thanks, and thank you for the continued support. It means a lot.
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Activity log

June 6th- 20 minutes of HIIT jump rope cardio workout
Old 06-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Activity Log

I have been out of town for the week visiting family. For this week Sunday 15th - Saturday the 21st, I was able to get in 4 jump rope workouts. The longest one being a 20 minute one on Tuesday and the most recent being today, Saturday morning a 10-minute HIIT jump rope workout. I have not weighed myself, but here's hoping that I have burned off some stubborn fat and calories the past week with all this jump roping.

P.S. The previous entry should have said:

June 16th- 20 minutes of HIIT jump rope cardio workout

Last edited by NewestAtkinsFan; 06-21-2014 at 05:36 PM..
Old 06-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Motivating Post from a LCF.com member

Been exercising a lot this past week, but was very, very discouraged by what I saw on the scale today this morning.

I found this post from a member here and found it very motivating and promising....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw55 View Post
If it doesn't help on the scale...It will help you tone...no, I have not measured my self...my bad...but I know that if the scale doesn't show it...your clothes will...the mirror will.. and the tape measure will...

When I was pg with my son, I gained 50 lb and I am only 5'1"...I was over 160...I was doing my own low carb thing...and walked 3 miles...didn't lose much and very slow...I upped it to 5 miles and it came off...I didn't use the scale...I judged by what the neighbors were saying as they passed by...wow, she is losing some weight...they didn't say it to me...I overheard it..it made me smile.
5 miles a day is what I have to do...now that was in SC where the roads were flat...now in the NC mountains and it is getting hot...not sure what it is going to take...I have gotten to be a wimp with the heat....I use to enjoy sweating...I can't do it...makes me feel sick. ..now 46 about to be 47 on the 18th.

lets all make a pact not to obsess about the number on the scale...as long as you are on point with eating...exercise is never going to hurt you....lets base it on body facts...not numbers
who's on board
Old 06-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #96
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WatchMeMove
Stats: 5'2" 155/149.0/125 BMI 28.1 FAT% 37.1
WOE: Warrior Diet/IF
Start Date: 6/17/14
Glad you found some inspiration. I found the post motivating too.

Your rope jumping and HIIT wo's are great for your heart, blood pressure and blood sugar, brain function and general quality of life. The scale #'s will show your work in time but your great attitude will show up right away.

You are having an incredible transformation and I look forward to hearing about all your adventures.
WatchMeMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Exercise: A quote worth remembering

This morning, a lowcarbfriends member made a post that really made a lot of sense. I'm going to quote it here, so I can always read it when I'm 2nd-guessing my regimen (which is often ) and just as inspiration in general.

Thanks, afrodite... and I hope you don't mind me using your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrodite View Post
I exercise quite a bit. I used to work out 3 days a week, but as of a month ago, I've upped it to 5.

My speed of loss on the scale doesn't change whether I exercise or not - that's almost entirely due to what I eat.

HOWEVER, my fitness improves, and so does how I look. IOW, I lose fat and build my muscles while exercising, so it reshapes my body with every pound lost unlike just dieting, which takes longer to do the same (if at all).

In addition, I tend to make better food choices when exercising, and I also feel happier as well since I see my improvements every time I step in the gym, and I deal with stress better as a whole.

To me, exercise is about much more than weight loss, so I don't plan on stopping it.

I also don't believe that exercise hinders weight loss as a rule. If embarking on a new regimen, your body is likely retaining water to rebuild your muscles - especially if you're new to strength training. In addition, some people eat more when they exercise - either because they feel hungrier due to the increased metabolic activity, or because they figure ''hey, I burned 350 calories on the treadmill, so I can eat an extra 350 today'' Nope!!

If you eat as you normally do, and are patient, within 4-6 weeks you'll find that your scale will start moving normally again, while your inches will drop faster than ever.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:50 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Hey friend sorry I have not been around for a while. We have been having bad storms and I could not get on for 4 days. Before that Last mon. One of my big trees fell on the neighbors house so last week was very crazy.

You have been doing great on the moveing of your body. I just shoveled 5 truck loads of mulch that had been sitting for a couple of months with lots of storms packing it down. I helped spread some of it and then we cleaned the truck back. That was one morning plus weedeating 1/2 the school. That was wed. Mowed all the rest of the week.,

Hope you had a great time with the family. I bet they loved how you looked. Have a great week.
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:00 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Some Reflections

I have fallen-off-the-wagon, a bit the past few weeks. This is typical when I go back home to see the folks during the summer for extended periods of time. I've had more sandwiches and burgers these past 2 weeks than I have had the past 6 months combined. I did really bad the week of 15th-21st; so bad that when I weighed-in on the 22nd I saw that I gained 6 pounds.

Seeing the error of my ways, I tried to stay low carb as much as possible; it wasn't as easy as I would have liked, but I did put forth a solid, intentional effort.

At today's weigh-in (Sunday 6/29) I saw that I lost 2lbs!

I've decided that for the next week... or longer, I'm going to go back to the basics: I am going back writing things down for the week and counting my carbs, just to hold me extra-accountable to it all. I also noticed that my walking log is low, so I'm going to focus a lot more on my walking this week compared to jump roping.

Also not even going to bring "temptation" in my home.. no peanut butter...no syrups..no nothing. "Out of sight, out of mind" right? At least that's what they say.

Here's hoping for a great and successful week low carbing.

NAF
Old 06-30-2014, 06:34 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

June Results

It is the last day of the month, so it's time for my monthly update in regards to scale numbers.

For the month of June, I lost 3.2lbs according to the calendar.
This is awesome news to me. In May, I only lost 2.4lbs over the 31days of that month.

Hope everyone is doing well.

NAF
Old 07-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Non-Scale Victory!

July is already off to a great start! A long-time-no-see friend stopped by the house late last night yesterday because he was in the neighborhood. As soon as he sat down on the couch in the living room he asked me, "Have you lost weight?" You need to understand, I have not seen this guy in OVER A YEAR! That is why this means so much to me. I've said it once, and I will say it again... the scale could say I lost 5+lbs in a single week, but it is NOTHING compared to the kudos and the "paying attention" of people.

Just felt compelled to share that this morning. Keep up the good work people!

NAF
Old 07-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Activity Log Update

Walking (2 miles minimum)
4/12- 4 miles
5/24- 2 miles
5/31- 4 miles (had to talk myself into that 2nd lap around campus, but I did it! )
6/10- 4 miles
7/4- Happy Independence Day! Walked 4 miles.

Jump Rope
4/15- 15mins with a total of 600 jumps (1st workout since December '13)
4/19- 20mins of jump rope (jumped along with a Tabata workout instructor video online) if I had to guess 800-900 jumps completed
4/26- 20mins of jump rope; completed a total of 700 jumps; a 4:30am workout-- yeah, that's early, but the important thing is I got it in.
5/10- 15mins of jump rope; 600 jumps completed.
5/17- 1,000 jumps; 5 sets of 200 jumps at 3am in the morning
6/7- 10mins of jumping rope along with a video on the smartphone; roughly 750-800 jumps completed.
6/10- 5 minute challenge (I completed 376 jumps in 5 minutes)
6/11- 15mins workout (Tabata workout video on phone)
6/13- 20mins of jump rope (completed the HIIT Tabata workout twice...could def feel the burn today!)
6/16- 20mins of jump rope (HIIT workout)
6/17- 10mins of jump rope
6/19- 10mins of jump rope
6/21- 20mins of jump rope
Old 07-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

30 carbs or less week went VERY well! Dropped over 10lbs!

It happens to the best of us at one time or another. You are on vacation, visiting family, having a night out on the town, stressed from work and school, and the next thing you know at your weigh-in you see you have gained some weight.

Needless to say it happened to me the last half of June. Spent a few weeks with family and the next thing you know I gained 6+lbs.

So what do you do when this happens...when you fall off the wagon? You go back to what works. For me it was going back to "Induction Carb Levels." For a week I tried my best to stay between 25-30 carbs total (the way I count carbs everything I ate got at least 1 carb), so essential on days where I recorded "28 total carbs" I'm sure it was even lower.

So, how did I do? I lost 11.2lbs this week... granted OVER HALF of this weight I'm sure was water weight, but hey, a loss is a loss. It also shows that I must have fallen off the wagon a few good miles to have 5+lbs in water weight.

I just wanted to type this to remind you, and to remind myself that you don't have to call it quits, 1) realize the mistake, 2) and pick up where you left off, and 3) do it as clean as possible (stick to the meat and eggs/low carb) and the results will come.

Wishing you great success!

NAF
Old 07-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

A Word From the Wise: Inspirational Motivation from Yellobrix

I take no credit for the following text. This comes from lowcarbfriends member, Yellobrix in a recent thread they started. I wanted to quote Yellobrix and the words of wisdom given. Thank you, Yellobrix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellobrix View Post

Never quit. Never.

Even when you give in, when you have a moment of weakness. Whether it lasts 15 minutes or a year.

Even when you feel like you've failed yourself, your children, your spouse.

Even when the pants you wore last month are pinching your waist and the scale is snearing up at you with numbers that break your heart.

Even when people who "just don't get it" bring you "gifts" of your favorite downfall foods.

Sometimes, we are weak... we feel like failures... our pants are too tight and our scale is harshly truthful... our friends can't grasp the sorrow and frustration we feel inside, often because they really do love us as we are, just as we love them as they are... and... what if the unthinkable happens, and our weight today is what it always will be? We feel discouraged and hopeless.

So... why? Why "never" give up? Why not quit?

Because when you choose to live a better life and eat in a more healthful way, you're giving yourself a gift that's far more important than the pounds lost. Even if you don't hit your ideal, your bikini weight or dating weight or the body you had when you were on the wrestling team, you're still getting the health benefits of not cramming garbage into your body. You're still choosing "better" over "awful."

No matter how many times you have to pick yourself up, brush the powdered sugar off your chin, and recommit - do it. Do it again. And again.

We're human, we slip, but the true measure of your inner strength isn't in the failure; it's in whether you let the slip-ups run your life, or serve as a lesson with temporary consequences.

Never quit.

Never.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Thanks my friend. Your 11 lb. loss Just gave me the kick in the pants I needed after the 4th picnic. I Gained 6 lbs in one day and have not lost it this week. Everytime I loose 2 I gain it right back. Thanks for the words of wisdom about 30 carbs or less. Judy
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: renogeorge
Stats: 260/247/200
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 03/17/14
Thank you for sharing!
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Activity Log Update: July 6th-12th

4/12- 4 miles
5/24- 2 miles
5/31- 4 miles (had to talk myself into that 2nd lap around campus, but I did it! )
6/10- 4 miles

Jump Rope
4/19- 20mins of jump rope (jumped along with a Tabata workout instructor video online) if I had to guess 800-900 jumps completed
4/26- 20mins of jump rope; completed a total of 700 jumps; a 4:30am workout-- yeah, that's early, but the important thing is I got it in.
6/7- 10mins of jumping rope along with a video on the smartphone; roughly 750-800 jumps completed.
6/13- 20mins of jump rope (completed the HIIT Tabata workout twice...could def feel the burn today!)
7/10- 10mins of jump rope
7/12- 20mins of jump rope
Old 07-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ejw55
Stats: 167/144.6/115
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post
Been exercising a lot this past week, but was very, very discouraged by what I saw on the scale today this morning.

I found this post from a member here and found it very motivating and promising....
That was my post!! Funny, I am not losing at all and was looking for inspiration....YOU have done such a wonderful job at this WOE...
there are going to falters whether it be eating or exercising...
I loved when you wrote in your journal about people not bashing things that you may write about...have run into that a lot on this board.
I am going to do the meat/egg fast tomorrow...I currently do the 72 version of Atkins so it should not be hard. My DANR book is in storage...can you give me the low down on the Meat/egg fast?
I was walking a bit but slacked off this week...need to get back to it on Monday!
Lets pull up our boot straps and get running!!!

"People won't remember what you did. People won't remember what you said. But people will always remember the way you made them feel."
- Maya Angellou
“Don’t eat anything your great-great grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food.” ~Michael Pollan
ejw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:48 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw55 View Post
. . .I am going to do the meat/egg fast tomorrow...I currently do the 72 version of Atkins so it should not be hard. My DANR book is in storage...can you give me the low down on the Meat/egg fast?
There really are no set "must have" rules for Meat and Eggs. tashydoll was the lowcarbfriends member that put me on the right track with this WOE. Here are the 4 simple rules she gave me and I have tried to apply them each day. For me personally, keeping my daily carb count between 30-45carbs gives me the most success (the lower the better).

1. Do it clean; no processed meats, no cheese. Just eggs, unprocessed meat and fats.

2. Which brings me to my next point, don't be afraid of the fat! You need it, lots of it, so just eat it and don't second guess yourself on it. It will stop protein poisoning and it will keep you full and away from snacking.

3. Watch your salt intake; this means bacon, sausages etc. Best to limit or steer clear altogether to avoid it and water retention.

4. Tweak it; try something for 3 days and if you gain then change it up. Everyone's body is different and responds differently to this WOE. . . And if you do cheat, get straight back on the horse the next day and do at least a day of M&E (even if you had planned to take the day off). I find that doing this gets my head straight, eliminates the cravings that I may have created for myself and it is disciplined.

Wishing you much success!

NAF
Old 07-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Activity Update

July 14th- "Against the clock" jump rope/skipping rope workout 100 down to 10
July 16th- "Against the clock" jump rope workout...with 2mins and 12seconds to spare (current time record)

*Against the clock workout: I set the timer for 15minutes. I jump the sets of 10s in desending order from 100 to 10. I.E. I jump rope for 100...brief rest...jump rope for 90...brief rest...jump rope for 80...brief rest and continue that pattern all the way down to 10. Setting the timer keeps you "rushed" and constantly jumping. Great, quick workout to spice things up.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Another Activity Update

4/12- 4 miles
5/24- 2 miles
6/10- 4 miles

Jump Rope
7/10- 10mins of jump rope
7/12- 20mins of jump rope
7/14- "Against the clock" jump rope/skipping rope workout 100 down to 10
7/16- "Against the clock" jump rope workout...with 2mins and 12seconds to spare (current time record)
7/18- 1,000 jumps (took 25 minutes)
Old 07-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Discouraged with the Scale

I have been kind of discouraged as of lately. With all my cardio workouts and all, it's discouraging to see that I have gained weight on the scale. I hae found motivation in the two following things; feedback from Terri, a M&E regular FAM member, and a blog entry on a website I found online.

Here is the article/blog: 155lbs of fat vs. 155lbs of muscle

And here is Terri's words of wisdom....Thanks, Terri!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
It is quite a conundrum NAF. Exercising does not equal weight loss. There are many reasons for this.

1. Muscle weighs more than fat
2. To build muscle one must push it, thus tearing the muscle tissue to rebuild. Repairing muscle retains water.
3. Exercising, aerobics, lifting. strength training etc. demands water. If we don’t give it enough, it hordes what it has.
I’m sure the more articulate and educated lurkers could expand on this.

Bottom line for me:
1. Being a saggy skinned, scrawny girl does not seem like a goal I wish to achieve.
2. The way I feel in my skin trumps the scale

However:
1. I try to weigh in the day after a non- exercise day.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

A non-scale victory (NSV)

I bought another suit and tried it on about 15 mins ago. It fits me well. It is a smaller sized suit than that first pin-striped one I bought..that is what makes this such a great NSV for me; that and the fact the jacket even seems a bit roomy. It's so great to buy "normal" clothes nowadays and not have to be stuck going to "portly" or "big man" for things now.

PS: You know how suit pants come with 3 fasteners... the button inside, the main center metal fastener and the 2nd button where the belt goes? I can button all 3..... boo-ya-caw-shaw!!!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:45 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Pizza on a plate recipe

Thanks to Foodieprincess who originally posted this comment back in 2011....before I even joined this site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodieprincess View Post

SO the best option would be "pizza on a plate"just add mozzerella on a plate add sauce on top add thick toppings and mic for a minute and thats fairly good.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #115
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 300/265/199
WOE: atkins
Start Date: april 1
hang in there i'm pullin for ye!
therealmrheartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmrheartache View Post
hang in there i'm pullin for ye!
Thanks. I am trying...one meal, one workout, and one day at a time!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Hooray! A nonscale victory (NSV)

Activity Log
7/22- 1000 jump rope jumps

Today I decided to get in a quick workout and I did. I completed 1000 jumps with the jump rope/skipping rope. I did 5 sets of 200 jumps; between each set I would walk around for about 30 seconds to catch my breath. The non scale victory for today is I completed and did a brand new jump rope move. Depending on who you ask the move is called either a "front shuffle" or "mummy kicks," but anyway the point is this is the very first time I have attempted this move when jumping rope and I've succeeded. I was excited and had the biggest grin on my face when I did these today. It just goes to show that with time and practice and perseverance we can move on to new levels,new things, and new achievements.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Even more cardio

I jumped rope again today. I got in another 1000 jumps. I completed 5 sets of 200 jumps. It takes me about 70seconds to get 60 jumps, so jumping for 200 guarantees me jumping for at least 3 minutes at a time (same as a boxing round). Got my heart rate going and a good sweat.

I can def see my body leaning out from all the jumping rope...it is without a doubt my favorite cardio!