LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 06:03 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
January 28, 2014

I am down -1.2lbs in 24hours. This is "big" to me b/c I did it while consuming a 'NEW' meal for dinner/ I've never had it before.I probably would have had even more of a loss if I didn't have those 2 tbsp of peanut butter, but oh well.

Tuesday's Menu Was...

B: 1 can of tuna, 2 tbsp of mayo, 1 dill pickle (3 glasses of plain water to drink)
L: 1 can of tuna, 2 tbsp of mayo, 1 dill pickle (2 glasses of plain water to drink)
D: Meatball Stew, 2 glasses of Arizona Tea stix

My version of Meatball Stew

* 1 jar of El Paso Mild Salsa
*2 cups of chicken broth (I used Swanson)
*Armour frozen meatballs (as many as you want)
*Half a can of kitchen cut green beans
*1 small can of mushrooms

Add salsa, meatballs and chicken broth to crockpot. Stir and mix well. Cook on low for an hour. Add green beans and mushrooms. Stir and mix well. Keeping the crockpot on low, cook for 2-3hrs. Let stew cool before eating. I enjoyed this, hopefully someone else will also.
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

January 31, 2014: January Summary

January Summary
I lost 14lbs in January!!!

Noted victories
1) non-scale victory= the old shirt that finally fits
2)new recipe in the LC Food arsenal (have had it the past 3 days straight no gains yet)
3)scale victory = January 31st= newest lowest weight on LC WOE 295.4lbs

Here is hoping February treats me just as well.

NAF
Old 02-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Just found this interesting

Several members (including Ntombi and sparkles) have posted this list throughout this forum/website. I just found it interesting. I think it is equivalents of weight loss:

1 pound = a Guinea Pig
1.5 pounds = a dozen Krispy Kreme glazed donuts
2 pounds = a rack of baby back ribs
3 pounds = an average human brain
4 pounds = an ostrich egg
5 pounds = a Chihuahua
6 pounds = a human skin
7.5 pounds = an average newborn
8 pounds = a human head
10 pounds= chemical additives an American consumes each year
11 pounds = an average housecat
12 pounds = a Bald Eagle
15 pounds = 10 dozen large eggs
16 pounds = a sperm whale's brain
20 pounds = an automobile tire
23 pounds = amount of pizza an average American eats in a year
24 pounds = a 3-gallon tub of super-premium ice cream
25 pounds = an average 2 year old
30 pounds = amount of cheese an average American eats in a year
33 pounds = a cinder block
36 pounds = a mid-size microwave
40 pounds = a 5-gallon bottle of water or an average human leg
44 pounds = an elephants heart
50 pounds = a small bale of hay
55 pounds = a 5000 BTU air conditioner
60 pounds = an elephants penis
66 pounds = fats and oils an average American eats in a year
70 pounds = an Irish Setter
77 pounds = a gold brick
80 pounds = the Worlds Largest Ball of Tape
90 pounds = a newborn calf
100 pounds = a 2 month old horse
111 pounds = red meat an average American eats in a year
117 pounds = an average fashion model (and shes 5'11")
118 pounds = the complete Encyclopedia Britannica
120 pounds = amount of trash you throw away in a month
130 pounds = a newborn giraffe
138 pounds = potatoes an average American eats in a year
140 pounds = refined sugar an average American eats in a year
144 pounds = an average adult woman (and shes 5'4˝")
150 pounds = the complete Oxford English Dictionary
187 pounds = an average adult man
200 pounds = 2 Bloodhounds
235 pounds = Arnold Schwarzenegger
300 pounds = an average football lineman
400 pounds = a Welsh pony
Old 03-01-2014, 05:49 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

February Summary

February has come to an end. Let's see how I did this month (using the calendar where I write down 'everything' that happens/I do while on this LC weight loss journey.)

Summary for February
I lost 5.8lbs this month!

Note: So far this year (January and February) I have lost 19.8lbs

I received 7 compliments from others/family/co-workers commenting on my weight-loss. I always feel good when someone notices the positive changes I am making. I will take a "you have gotten so skinny" over a weigh-in on the scale anyday.

Most importantly I have been able to MAINTAIN and stay in Twoderville!!

Here's hoping I find success in March!

Cheers!

NAF
Old 03-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

March 2014 Midterm

I have lost 3.2lbs as a whole so far for the month of March 2014.

I have not been eating the best. I'm repeatedly falling off the wagon-- I don't like it!

It's not good for my weight goals.. it's not good for my waistline... and it's not good for my wallet. I'm better than this, and I know that I can do it. All it takes is to say "no, i'm not going to eat fast food."

For the next 10 days I'm going to stick to low carb. My one year Atkinsversary is coming up and I want to weigh in on a all-time low that day (April 3rd).

I know what works for me... low carb eating with occasional high intensity cardio!

I can do this. I will do this-- I want to see how far I can go!

NAF
Old 03-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Workout Words of Wisdom

Replied to a fellow LCF member a few months ago in regards to workouts and exercise. Thought I'd repost it here for my own benefit and means of motivation.

Hello Darien.

Just read your story and I empathize. I am a 30 year old male (I know it's hard to spot us here on this forum, but we are around) and struggled with the mix of working out and diet for a long time myself... even before I went LC, so I just wanted to share what I've learned and maybe you can apply some of it to your plan/regimen... couldn't hurt right? Note: I know some people will greatly disagree with me when I discuss the exercise part; I am sharing what has worked for ME, it is totally subjective, no need for arguments... let's just agree to disagree.

1. You can lose weight on LC without all the excessive exercising. True, I 100% agree that exercise is a must for a healthy lifestyle, but I don't think you have to or should go at it so hard-core 5 days a week at the very beginning, esp. if you are not a pro-sports player/model/etc. It is something you have to ween into. Start off with 2 or three days a week, and then when you lose some weight or when you see that your body has plateaued then step it up to the 4-5 days a week regimen. Again, just my humble opinion. Feel free to disagree. I have NOT exercised the past three weeks due to winter weather and coldness and I've still managed to lose 4.7lbs already this month.

2. When it comes to exercise and the battle is between Weight Lifting/Resistance Training vs. Cardio, the weight lifting/resistance training always wins, regardless how often it is done. Let me explain it this way, for years I would walk and do dumbbell workouts and the scale would get higher and higher and I'd get bulkier and bulkier, that's b/c that's what weight training of any kind does.. it makes you bigger. So if you are already big and your goal is to slim down CARDIO needs to be your #1 priority... I wouldn't even look at weights/a pair of dumbbells, b/c if you use them and do a quick workout, it will pack on muscle, cause the muscle fibers to retain water and hence lead to unwanted gains on the scale and you will pack on weight.. guaranteed. I started my LC WOE back in April of '13 and strictly kept my exercise to cardio (jumping rope and walking) and have seen consistent losses.. aside from the weeks I fall of the wagon Anyway, but that's a different story. So, yes, it is okay to exercise, but at the same time, space it out. . . "everything in moderation" and as you said be aware of the muscle retention from all the exercise. And know your goal "do I want to get bigger/get some muscle?" Then lift. "Do I want to slim down/get slender/get smaller?" Then cardio.

3. Low Carb is something you have to plan and prepare for. If you have a "come what may" attitude, then yes, you will fall off the wagon, slip up, and see the weight come back and then some. Figure out the 3-5 meals you plan to have each day. Staple foods that have always given me good losses are:
ground beef, eggs, baked chicken, sugar-free jello, cucumbers/dill pickles, lettuce, mayonnaise, mustard, HWC. . . but those are just MY go to foods. You have to sit down and think of what foods are considered low carb that you can actually tolerate, and make them a part of your arsenal/menu.

I hope that sheds some light on things. But DO NOT feel bad about yourself or what has happened with the weight gain. You know it works, you have first-hand practical experience with it, just put your game-face on, and start over. Take it one day at a time. Make notes constantly of what works, what doesn't, make notes of your menu so when you do your weigh-ins you can analyze it and try to figure out "okay, which food is a stall for me?" etc. I also hope I'm not coming across as "preachy"; just wanted to share the things that I keep a mental note of to get me through the "low days" that we all have. Feel free to PM me anytime if you want. We're all here to support each other bro... you got this... I believe in you.

Cheers!

NAF
Old 03-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: renogeorge
Stats: 260/247/200
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 03/17/14
I just read your journal and I am inspired by your commitment. I am a long time low-carb eater and I have been through a long battle with my weight. You are doing great! Sometimes we need to reflect on how far we have come to get where we are now.

I started my low-carb journey back in March 10, 2002. I was at my highest point of 286lbs. I felt trapped. I found out about Robert Atkins on a infomercial on late night television by Kevin Trudeau. I would watch that infomercial over and over again when I would come across it. I ended up going to the store and buying the paperback book and followed it to the letter.

Fast forward to now. I am still struggling but it isn't because of following the techniques Atkins set out there. It was me that got in the way. I jumped out and lost 61 pounds in three months. I let my head get in the way and I didn't stay with it. Over the years, I have hovered around 240-260. I could look at this as a victory because if I didn't do the low-carb way of eating, I would definitely be well over 300 pounds.

Hang in there. You are doing great. Keep your will to improve and focus on how well you feel when you are eating right. The bottom line of all this is to feel good. I wish you well!

George
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
I just read your journal and I am inspired by your commitment. I am a long time low-carb eater and I have been through a long battle with my weight. You are doing great! Sometimes we need to reflect on how far we have come to get where we are now.

I started my low-carb journey back in March 10, 2002. I was at my highest point of 286lbs. I felt trapped. I found out about Robert Atkins on a infomercial on late night television by Kevin Trudeau. I would watch that infomercial over and over again when I would come across it. I ended up going to the store and buying the paperback book and followed it to the letter.

Fast forward to now. I am still struggling but it isn't because of following the techniques Atkins set out there. It was me that got in the way. I jumped out and lost 61 pounds in three months. I let my head get in the way and I didn't stay with it. Over the years, I have hovered around 240-260. I could look at this as a victory because if I didn't do the low-carb way of eating, I would definitely be well over 300 pounds.

Hang in there. You are doing great. Keep your will to improve and focus on how well you feel when you are eating right. The bottom line of all this is to feel good. I wish you well!

George

Thank you, George. I appreciate the support more than you will know.

NAF
Old 03-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Non-Scale Victory Story-- 3/25/14

So, the weather today wasn't the best. I thought that a "spiffy" outfit would make the day not so gloomy, so I "dressed up".... I wore the same outfit this guy is wearing (NOT ME) long sleeve white shirt accompanied with black tie, black slacks, black shoes, and a black vest. Six people commented the outfit at work, and two commented because they have noticed the weight loss I've had so far. It was a good day!

Last edited by NewestAtkinsFan; 03-25-2014 at 06:58 PM..
Old 03-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Recipe

I was bored and needed something to do. So I made a batch of Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip-- It's just not for Superbowl Parties people!!! A-MA-ZING!!! Let me tell ya!

I know there are lots of recipes, but this is the one I used:

2 (10 ounce) cans chicken
2 (8 ounce) packets cream cheese
3/4 cup hot sauce (I use Frank's)
2 cups mild cheddar cheese

Cook on High for 90mins or cook on low for 3hrs.

Eat with pork rinds, celery sticks, or as a meal by itself.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:35 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post
Non-Scale Victory Story-- 3/25/14

So, the weather today wasn't the best. I thought that a "spiffy" outfit would make the day not so gloomy, so I "dressed up".... I wore the same outfit this guy is wearing (NOT ME) long sleeve white shirt accompanied with black tie, black slacks, black shoes, and a black vest. Six people commented the outfit at work, and two commented because they have noticed the weight loss I've had so far. It was a good day!

Had my weigh in for the week. I lost 5.6lbs! That is the biggest whoosh I have had on the scale in the past few months if I am not mistaken. Great week!
Old 03-30-2014, 05:17 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Recipes To Try Really Soon

Pumpkin Shake by Boudica

2oz canned cooked pumpkin (NOT the pumpkin pie, regular pumpkin)
2oz heavy cream
2oz vanilla SF Davinci (or other brand) syrup
6oz water
2 handfuls ice
1t pumpkin pie spice

Toss everything in a blender and whirl away! As written there is 6g carbs - 1g fibre for 5 NET carbs in this shake. (232 calories)

Italian Quiche

8 eggs
3 oz pepperoni
3 oz cooked sausage
3 oz mozzerella
1 oz parmesan
1 oz onion
1 oz mushroom
1/2T garlic powder
1/2T red pepper flake (or use all garlic powder)
1/4C Hunts NSA spaghetti sauce (or other LC sauce)

Blend everything together EXCEPT the parmesan cheese. Bake @350 for 30 minutes (or until inserted knife comes out clean) shake the parmesan on top and serve.

Easy Ice Cream

1/2 C heavy cream
2-3 T SF syrup, flavour of your choice

ice cubes
table salt

In a small zippie bag mix the heavy cream and syrup together to your own taste. Seal up the bag and place into another, larger zippie bag. Throw in a few handfuls of ice and shake a few tablespoons of salt on top of the ice (the salt actually makes the ice colder...brrrr). Zip up the bigger bag then shake, Shake, SHAKE for about 3-5 minutes.

Take the smaller zippe bag out and rinse off lightly and quickly under cold running water (to make sure there's no lingering salt on the bag), open and eat! You have some WONDERFUL flavoured soft serve! I've done hazelnut, caramel and vanilla and they are ALL creamy and EXCELLENT!!!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:49 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

March summary

I lost 6.0lbs in the month of March.
So far in 2014 I have lost 13.8lbs. Not too shabby.

NAF
Old 04-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Happy Atkinsversary

The big day is here. April 3rd. Today marks my 1st Atkinsversary.

I was looking back at some of my previous journal entries and came across this...

April 3, 2013, that's the day that I started to love myself again and put myself first.

Atkins Induction was easier than I thought it would be. I'm a meat and potatoes type of guy in the first place so this diet plan was pretty much just that minus the potatoes of course. It was day 4 when I experienced the fabled "Atkins Flu" it was only 24hrs. Since then I have not felt bad or sick on this diet/WOE since. Cross-my-heart. Nada. I've been just fine.

The first 2 weeks went by and I saw my face getting a little thinner. Still in 46in waist pants I didn't feel comfortable moving on to the 2nd phase of Atkins, so I decided that I was going to complete on-going Induction.

So, I completed a 2nd round of Induction. It was then exactly day 28 that a co-worker approached me and asked me if I was sick b/c it looked as if I had lost some weight. I told her no, not sick, but yes, I am trying to lose some weight. She complimented me saying that it was indeed working.

I cannot tell you how happy that 2 minute conversation made me feel. For someone to notice "hey, there is something different about you..' it just lets you know that YES, this is working, YES, you have finally found something that is working, and YES, all this work and effort is not for nothing . And it's also the motivation to continue.

Words really cannot express how I am feeling right now today, but I will try.

I'm so proud that I have actually kept up with this plan. Most of the time when I try to lose weight and exercise I go strong for a month, maybe 2 and then it is completely out the window. But I've stuck to this!

I am so grateful for the support, the kind words, the inspiring posts and motivating people from the people on this forum/site. Thank you all very much!

To think I have lost 57lbs.. I cannot believe it myself, but I have the scale pictures to prove it.

The fact that I have a bag full of clothes to give away to GoodWill is amazing. Clothes that are too big and I cannot do anything with them, "evidence" that I have come so very far with this.

I'm excited about summer and the warmer weather rather than dreading it. The "old" me would stay a recluse and avoid going out and having to put on shorts at all costs.

Although I have NOT been a perfect angel with my low carbing; yes, I had my cheat days, yes, I feel off the wagon, but I kept getting right back on and it, it has paid off and have had wonderful results. I've lost 57lbs to date.

I am just so glad, and so blessed that I started this wonderful journey. And I cannot wait to see where the next 365 days will take me.

Cheers!

NAF
Old 04-04-2014, 12:38 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
Wow!! Congrats on a whole year-truly an achievement. I am only 5 days in and ppl like you that stick it out long term is such an inspiration
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:34 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptogirl View Post
Wow!! Congrats on a whole year-truly an achievement. I am only 5 days in and ppl like you that stick it out long term is such an inspiration

Thank you! I owe it all to the support of the good people here at lowcarbfriends!
It has made all the difference.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

More recipes

Buffalo Chicken Dip

2 (10 oz) cans of chicken (drained)
2 (8oz) of cream cheese
3/4 cup of Frank's Hot Sauce
2 cups of shredded cheese

Cook in crockpot
Low= 3hrs
High = 90 minutes

No Bake Low Carb Cheesecake

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (softened)
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons of Truvia
1 pack of Kool-aid lemonade

Use mixer to mix everything together
Refrigerator in "portion" bowls; should make 5-6 servings
Old 04-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

This recipe was originally posted by NancyElle, so be sure to leave her a message if you enjoy this recipe.

Thin and Crispy Pizza Crust

1) Heat oven to 450 degrees
2) In a bowl thoroughly combine....
3 eggs
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp basil

3.) press evenly into Pam sprayed pizza pan or cookie sheet
(this makes one 16 inch pizza crust)

4)Bake at 450 degrees until golden brown (about 10 to 15 minutes)
Old 04-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Spring, Summer, and Fall 2014 activity log

I want to see how much activity I put in this year. My 2 main means of exercise are walking (the local university; one lap is 2 miles) and high intensity jump rope for 10-20 mins at a time.

Let's see if I can 'move it, move it" into even better shape.

Walking (2 mile minimum)
4/12- 4 miles

Jump Rope
Old 04-13-2014, 06:01 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Hi there. Thank you for stopping in my JUDDD thread. That was so nice of you. I have read all your journal and copied some recipes. You are doing great. Keep up the great job. Judy
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:47 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windygap View Post
Hi there. Thank you for stopping in my JUDDD thread. That was so nice of you. I have read all your journal and copied some recipes. You are doing great. Keep up the great job. Judy

Thanks. Same to you, Judy. Wishing you much success in the weeks to come!
Old 04-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Another pizza recipe

This recipe came from Barbo's website WHERE'S THE CRUST PIZZA | BARBO'S LOW CARB KITCHEN

Thanks to Carol for posting and sharing this recipe.

Crust
1 (8 oz) package of full fat cream cheese, room temperature
2 eggs
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese--out of the can

Topping
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
toppings - pepperoni, ham, sausage, mushrooms, peppers
Garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350.

Lightly spay a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. With a handheld mixer, mix cream cheese, eggs, pepper, garlic powder and parmesan cheese until combined. Spread into baking dish. Bake for 12-15 minutes, our until golden brown. Allow crust to cool for 10 minutes.

Spread pizza sauce on crust. Top with cheese and toppings. Sprinkle pizza with garlic powder. Bake 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Today: A much needed Non Scale Victory

Last week my weight fluctuated greatly. I am grateful that I have kept the fluctuating between the same 5lbs and no more than that, but still I want to get back to that all time low and start seeing more results.

Needless to say I was feeling pretty low. I was cleaning up the house a bit when I came across the box of "too big clothes" I picked up a pair of 48 shorts and was able to slip them on up over the 42s I was wearing (I have a 41in waist though). I let go of them and they fell right to the floor. I laughed. I realized I should be feeling blessed not feeling blah. I've come a long way from where I was April 2013 and I should be proud. It took a lot of work the past year to lose 55lbs+ and I should be proud of that.

An old college friend made a surprise stop by the house. Haven't seen him in months. He was in awe of the change. Brad said "you have been losing weight mister." I smiled. Everyone is different, but I for one LOVE hearing kudos and congratulations and praise over my weight loss and consider it a non scale victory.

These 2 things were just what I needed to help me start off the new week refereshed and very optimistic!
Old 04-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Those are perfect NSV's. They should keep you motivated for a while. Enjoy your upcoming week!
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, Seabreezes. Wishing you much success on your LC journey also!
Old 04-15-2014, 03:56 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Walking (2 mile minimum)
4/12- 4 miles

Jump Rope
4/15- 15mins with a total of 600 jumps (1st workout since December '13)

Last edited by NewestAtkinsFan; 04-15-2014 at 03:59 AM..
Old 04-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post
This recipe came from Barbo's website WHERE'S THE CRUST PIZZA | BARBO'S LOW CARB KITCHEN

Thanks to Carol for posting and sharing this recipe.

Crust
1 (8 oz) package of full fat cream cheese, room temperature
2 eggs
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese--out of the can

Topping
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
toppings - pepperoni, ham, sausage, mushrooms, peppers
Garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350.

Lightly spay a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. With a handheld mixer, mix cream cheese, eggs, pepper, garlic powder and parmesan cheese until combined. Spread into baking dish. Bake for 12-15 minutes, our until golden brown. Allow crust to cool for 10 minutes.

Spread pizza sauce on crust. Top with cheese and toppings. Sprinkle pizza with garlic powder. Bake 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.

I just made this tonight for dinner. This was so good you guys! Def try this recipe if you are ever in the mood for pizza! Thanks Barbo! Thanks Carol!
Old 04-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Non-Scale Victory
I bought some "Window Pane" aka "Plaid shorts" for Spring/Summer. I was very hesitant b/c I was afraid they wouldn't fit (42s) but they do... perfectly. *Looks at a pair of 48 shorts from 2 years back* How far I have come!
Old 04-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Missing your post!
Old 04-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

HEHE you just came over my post. That sounds great about the shorts.