Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
My Skinny Jeans (A Nutritional Ketosis Log)

Sunday, July 7, will be the official launch date of my Nutritional Ketosis Log.

A little background might be helpful. I started back on Atkins May 7, 2013, so exactly 2 months. In that time I've pretty much dropped 12 pounds without counting calories. That is totally awesome.

I just turned 50 years old in May.

I'm 5'5".

I'm currently weighing 153 lbs.

I've yoyo dieted off and on for some time now. My all time high being 182, and my lowest (14 years ago) was 120. I got down to 126 about 2 years ago after dieting and exercising the normal way. I've been back and forth to WW multiple times and have done LC/Atkins a few times too.

So, it's obvious I can lose weight, my problem is maintaining.

Right now I just need to lose and then learn to maintain. But I got so burned out on tracking calories that I don't want to go there again.

Also, I am definitely pre-diabetic with diabetes in the family. My fasting numbers go quickly under 100 the moment I start low-carb, and I can keep my blood sugar down with low carb. So doesn't that tell me I need to eat low carb?

Nutritional Ketosis looks so interesting and I've been doing a lot of reading about it, and now have the meter and the strips. I tested last week and got 1.4 and 1.5 on two separate mornings. Today when the strips came I got "lo." But I had company this week and my carbs were a bit higher.

Tomorrow I will start in earnest and try to get the Ketones up without tracking calories.

My ultimate goal at this time is 130 lbs, so a little over 20 lbs. If I can get there before the New Year, I'll be very pleased.

Tomorrow I'll also take my measurements.

And by the way, I do tend to ramble........

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

So this is how I've been tracking for the past 9 weeks. I have a wonderful Aria scale that uploads my Weight and BodyFat with no trouble to my fitbit account. I've been tracking my Fasting Blood Glucose also, and now will track my fasting Ketones also. I've calculated out my lean body mass from the bodyfat percentage and my weight for the day, the idea is to see little downward change in this area.

Also I average out my weights for the full week, and subtract that from the average of the week before. And then there is a Sunday to Sunday weight (just for kicks, or tears.) The Average Loss is the one I pay attention to. The Total Average Loss is based off my my original start weight. And I do the same with the Average Body Fat.

This is the starting place now for my Ketone experiment. On the chart you can see the two days I tested last week at 1.4 and 1.5. The two times this week measured both "Lo." Even though I've still continued to measure urine ketones.

I guess I need to add that to my chart. I was at "Moderate" this morning.

I do still feel like I'm in ketosis. I don't have any crazy hungries or anything. I did have company and ate out lunch each day this week and then splurged a bit on the 4th of July, just a small splurge.

Each Sunday (or when I get to it) I'll post my summary chart for the week, but during the week will just post my stats:
  • Weight - 153.3
  • Blood Ketones - Lo
  • Urine Ketones - Moderate

This might change as I think of things to track. I really don't want to track macros until I need to. I'll worry about that later.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 153.3
  • Blood Ketones - Lo
  • Calories - 1602
  • Carbs - 25g (Fiber 10g), net 15g, 6%
  • Protein- 64g, 16%
  • Fat - 143g, 78%

Weight still the same as last weeks, body fat too, so it's definitely time to reign in my eating. Though I said before I didn't want to track, I will do my best to track my eating. I think some carbs are sneaking in, I'm being a slight bit lax, so I will aim for that 20g or less total carbs. Also I'd like to see the calories stay just under 1500.

My protein range based on my lean body mass (100 lbs) is 60-100 grams.

I will admit that I did expect to see the blood ketones showing something today, but hopefully tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 153.1
  • Blood Ketones - Lo
  • Urine Ketones - skipped
  • Calories - 1733
  • Carbs - 26g (Fiber 8g), net 18g, 6%
  • Protein- 69g, 16%
  • Fat - 152g, 78%

Ate a bit more yesterday (hungry) but the percentages came out the same as the day before.

Still measured Lo on the meter, that's so frustrating. Scale edged down a smidge, still 153 for a week though.

It's one thing to plan for the day and say I'll eat a bit less, it's another when you need fuel. That's how I feel too, not hungry in the munchy sense, but hungry in the needing some fuel sense. Plus there is only so much oil that keeps my hunger at bay.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I'm with you on the feeling that something is missing when so many calories need to come from oil that you consume what feels like a very small volume of food. I follow a JUDDD schedule (alternate day: low calories is a DD, and 'normal' calorie intake in an UD) and DDs are >50%kcals for the day from MCT oil and UD is still around 25%kcals for the day from MCT (that % doesn't include any other fats).

I suppose we will adapt in time.

Which meter are you using that gives you 'lo' readings? Is 'Lo' even lower than 0.5 or does it just register low, moderate, high?

Dr Georgia Ede of the Diagnosis Diet blog ran several interesting ketogenic diet experiments with herself as a subject and she reports both urinalysis strips and blood ketone readings for a while and it was interesting to see that there wasn't much correspondence between the two.

She reported her data during her evaluation of the ketogenic diet plan (also involved caloric restriction) recommended by Dr. Seyfried in his book, Cancer as a Metabolic Disease. There are several posts about that and she logs both morning and evening readings for a while. In the post that introduces that series, she gives a good overview of ketones and what is measured by urinalysis and blood meters.

In addition to that Seyfried ketogenic diet experiment, she is now 4 months into a nutritional ketogenic diet self-experiment and her posts on that are useful (also have data and some food logs).
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I'm with you on the feeling that something is missing when so many calories need to come from oil that you consume what feels like a very small volume of food. I follow a JUDDD schedule (alternate day: low calories is a DD, and 'normal' calorie intake in an UD) and DDs are >50%kcals for the day from MCT oil and UD is still around 25%kcals for the day from MCT (that % doesn't include any other fats).

I suppose we will adapt in time.

Which meter are you using that gives you 'lo' readings? Is 'Lo' even lower than 0.5 or does it just register low, moderate, high?

Dr Georgia Ede of the Diagnosis Diet blog ran several interesting ketogenic diet experiments with herself as a subject and she reports both urinalysis strips and blood ketone readings for a while and it was interesting to see that there wasn't much correspondence between the two.

She reported her data during her evaluation of the ketogenic diet plan (also involved caloric restriction) recommended by Dr. Seyfried in his book, Cancer as a Metabolic Disease. There are several posts about that and she logs both morning and evening readings for a while. In the post that introduces that series, she gives a good overview of ketones and what is measured by urinalysis and blood meters.

In addition to that Seyfried ketogenic diet experiment, she is now 4 months into a nutritional ketogenic diet self-experiment and her posts on that are useful (also have data and some food logs).
Hi SlowSure, thanks for stopping by.

The meter, NovaMax, reads Lo under .5 I believe, and now it's been 5 days in a row, hmpfff....and yesterday I ate next to nothing.

I've read Dr. Edes blog. It's quite interesting, especially the few foods she can eat. I luckily don't have any restrictions like she does.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:00 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 152
  • Blood Ketones - Lo
  • Urine Ketones - Large
  • Calories - 1244
  • Carbs - 15.7g (Fiber 2.6g), net 13g, 5%
  • Protein- 69g, 22%
  • Fat - 100g, 73%

Another day at Lo. I'm just going to stop talking about it. Ugh. Protein and Carbs appear to be in a good range, fat a bit lower yesterday.

I have today's menu planned out already. I think I'll try No veggies. But I will only do that for 1 day, because I will not be happy eating only meat and fat. But for 1 day I can do it, or at least attempt to. I might eat a small salad tonight with dinner. We'll see.

Weight did drop a pound though, so I'd like to see it stay down there.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's interesting to see people's data although it's tricky to discern a pattern.

Your calories are low, carbs are low and protein looks moderate yet your ketone readings aren't what you would expect. Does your meter need to be calibrated in some way?
Old 07-10-2013, 04:33 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

That was an abnormally low day, I did that on purpose. I tend to eat around 1700 calories a day. My daily burn is around 2000-2300 based on activity. I am losing slowly.

I don't think it need calibrating. I might have to look in to that. When I did it with the two initial test strips I just stuck them in and they worked fine.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 151
  • Blood Ketones - 1.4
  • FBG - 80
  • Calories - 1520
  • Carbs - 5.7g (Fiber 0g), net 5.7g, 2%
  • Protein- 64g, 17%
  • Fat - 139g, 81%

I finally saw a 1.4 on the blood ketone meter. That just shows me how wrong I was, and that I was not in nutritional ketosis.

But yesterday was rough, no veggies at all is not my idea of a good day. And even with over 1500 calories, I was hungry. I just sucked it up and didn't eat more. I really wanted to see that number on the meter.

Another sign was the Fasting blood glucose of 80. My FBS is almost always in the upper 90's on a low carb diet, in the 120's+ on a normal non-low-carb diet.

I also have a heavy achy head today, probably a bit of a low carb flu thing. Hopefully it doesn't stay around long.

Okay, so I'm where I want to be and now need to make a plan for my day. I will try to do this another day as it's a good day to experiment with as I'm home from work. I already told my husband (the house chef) that I'm not needing a normal dinner as I'm out at dinner time. I'll just aim for fat and meat again and hopefully keep it around 1500 cals. I just want the bit lower calories because I really want to see that scale get below 150 at this time.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:08 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 151
  • Blood Ketones - 1.5
  • Urine Ketones - xx
  • FBG - 87
  • Calories - 1200
  • Carbs - 11.5g (Fiber 3g), net 8.5g, 4%
  • Protein- 70g, 24%
  • Fat - 94g, 72%

Ate a little low yesterday. Had a massage right over my dinner time and was able to get by with a very small dinner. The hungries are going to hit me though after a few days of low cals. My goal is to get through today keeping the calories low again, and then up them over the weekend a bit for a break.

Definitely happier with my salads. It's amazing how some veggies make me feel so much better. Had a cucumber salad with lunch and a small tossed salad with dinner. I'll stay at induction levels through the weekend. Then if the Ketones stay in range I will try adding in a few items at a time, like my nuts again.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 151
  • Blood Ketones - Lo
  • Urine Ketones - moderate
  • FBG - 93
  • Calories - 1657
  • Carbs - 22g (Fiber 6g), net 16g, 5%
  • Protein- 96g, 23%
  • Fat - 135g, 72%

I'm not a happy camper this morning. My blood ketones measured low again. You can't be serious that a little extra salad makes this much difference. To be honest that kind of pisses me off.

My calories are fine, my percentages are fine, my so-called numbers for Protein and carbs should be fine, based on the professionals, but then again, maybe they are wrong, maybe I'm wrong, maybe my body doesn't care what they say....lol.

I also had a high energy day with 2 walks and lots of dancing last night, my fitbit burn was 2000, so I still ate in a 500 calorie deficit.

It's very hard to restrict so much. I also find Fats limiting. Though I am eating so many of them, there is a breaking point.

Perhaps I'll find that Nutritional Ketosis isn't going to be my "Magic" diet pill.

So all that aside, plan is to keep what I'm doing and watch those darn carbs. Protein was up on the higher end also yesterday, but the carbs were up too (though it was just salad.) I will keep the exercise low and the cals will probably be around 1500.

I guess we all have to remember though that no matter how carefully we count/track/weigh our food, those are still estimates too.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm failing to detect a predictable pattern in your readings. Maybe it will reveal itself over time?

Predictable questions. Aside from the scale, are you measuring anything else (like inches)? How do you feel?

I hear you on the limitations of eating so many calories from fat - the majority of my intake is from MCT oil added to coffee, cocoa or broth.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm failing to detect a predictable pattern in your readings. Maybe it will reveal itself over time?

Predictable questions. Aside from the scale, are you measuring anything else (like inches)? How do you feel?

I hear you on the limitations of eating so many calories from fat - the majority of my intake is from MCT oil added to coffee, cocoa or broth.
I agree that's it's probably too early to see patterns. One of the problems is also that I do not eat the same thing daily. If I'm more hungry, I eat more.

Yes, I'm tracking measurements and will measure again tomorrow. My scale also does bodyfat. Like I said, I am losing. I just want to do the nutritional ketosis thing, at least for now.

I've tracked extra carefully today and I'm getting very little exercise too, so it's a low cal day. Will be just over 1300 and keeping the carbs below 10g.

I woke up with bad sinuses this morning, had taken ibuprofen and sinus meds yesterday, took more today. Meds would also be something to mess with ketones I believe.

There are just going to be so many variable.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Week 10 Atkins / Week 1 Ketosis went pretty well. My weight is nicely down, but I also hadn't lost the week prior, and before that it was only a smidge. I was due a loss.

My waist and hips both are down one inch also.

It was a tough week though, trying to see the numbers on the blood ketone meter. Eating 20 grams of carbs seemed too high, and I had to eat 10 or less for it to register. That just seems too low for me. My protein was also in the 60-90 range.

I'll just keep plugging away at it. Eventually I hope to see some trends.

I look forward to being under 150 come next Sunday, it will be nice to work my way down the 140's. Once I'm under 140 I will be in a very good weight range for me, 138 was always my WeightWatchers goal number and though it's a little higher than I prefer, I look good there.

Weight isn't something I want to struggle with forever, so if I need to weigh in the the upper 130's vs. lower 130's (or lower) I will be quite happy.

I do have photos in my photo gallery here if anyone wants to see my fat and skinny photos. I tend to hit both ranges quite well.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's good to see your losses - albeit I'm baffled by the blood ketones

Good inch losses
Old 07-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 150.8
  • Blood Ketones - Lo
  • FBG - 87
  • Calories - 1300
  • Carbs - 16.6g (Fiber 5.4g), net 11g, 5%
  • Protein- 80g, 24%
  • Fat - 103g, 71%

Lo on the blood ketones again. Blood sugar is down in a nice range though at 87 today.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I've decided I need to lighten up a bit and enjoy my food. I will keep testing for ketones and maybe will just find out it's not a place my body is happy going.

That's a totally legit scenario I believe. I know I have to keep carbs low, but too low and I don't feel good mentally. And too much extra fat doesn't make my tummy happy.

So I'm just going back to the low runs of Atkins and will go from there.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:41 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dr Michael Mosely is known for his Horizon documentary, Eat, Fast and Live Longer. He also wrote a book about the 5:2 WOE.

In his book, he lists guidelines and #11 in "A Dozen Ways to make the Fast Diet work for you" is as follows:
Quote:
"Be sensible, exercise caution, and if it feels wrong, stop. It's vital that this strategy should be practiced in a way that's flexible and forgiving. It's okay to break the rules if you need to. It's not a race to the finish, so be kind and make it fun. Who wants to live longer if it's in abject misery? You don't want to grunt and sweat under a weary life. You want to go dancing. Right?" [My emphasis.]
I adore the last part and think it matches well to your thinking.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Dr Michael Mosely is known for his Horizon documentary, Eat, Fast and Live Longer. He also wrote a book about the 5:2 WOE.

In his book, he lists guidelines and #11 in "A Dozen Ways to make the Fast Diet work for you" is as follows:I adore the last part and think it matches well to your thinking.
That's so spot on. Plus, I'm a big dancer....lol.

But now check this out
  • Weight - 151.2 (slight increase)
  • Blood Ketones - 1.5
  • FBG - 90
  • Calories - 1700
  • Carbs - 43g (Fiber 11g), net 32g, 10%
  • Protein- 77g, 17%
  • Fat - 143g, 73%

There's only so much wonkiness I can accept.There is no rhyme or reason. I ate more because I was feeling deprived and I obviously ate more carbs (heck I ate chocolate and extra nuts yesterday) and now I show blood ketones again.

I knew the weight would go up just from the extra bulk in my body as I had very few veggies carbs the days prior and had a nice salad yesterday.

Whatever....keep on keeping on.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 149.8
  • Blood Ketones - 1.6
  • Urine Ketones - large
  • FBG - 89
  • Macros - didn't track

Wow!! I totally didn't expect that as yesterday wasn't a great day. Had a headache, took ibuprofen 2x. Got a cortisone shot in my foot. Drank an extra large diet coke, and a bunch of sweet tea (with AS). Oh, and took a sleeping pill before bed.

I also took 1 T of MCT before dinner. I have taken it most days this past week, but not the day before I had a LO measure again.

So you can bet I'm going to really work on getting that MCT oil in and also the CO (which I can use but not totally crazy about.) I've been using 1T of MCT, today I think I will up it to 1T 2X. Having a bit of CO in my coffee right now.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:44 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I currently take 3-4 Tbsp of MCT oil a day as part of my migraine management strategy. I blend it into coffee or cocoa (with lecithin to emulsify it) or add it to a mug of broth.

MCT is horribly expensive in the UK so it's the costliest mayonnaise that I've ever made but yesterday and today, I've had that with egg salad to up my intake.

MCT alone is more than 50% of my kcals on a DD and 25%+ on an UD.

Good luck with adding the MCT and CO and may your losses continue.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the hint about the lecithin. I actually have some in the cupboard (liquid kind I used in bread making...oh ha ha ha....breadmaking.)

I was doing some reading about MCT oil and headaches, wondering if it causes headaches, as I've had a headache for the past few days, almost week I'd guess. I think I'm possibly just "more" in ketosis and it's a bit of the low carb flu thing going on. Hopefully it stops as I adjust more to it. I've only been having 1 T a day, today I will have 2, plus I had 1 T CO this morning. That's enough for a few days, then maybe I'll increase. I won't increase though if the ketones look good.

I read about your migraines and MCT oil. I only get the occasional migraine thankfully. I find all this so interesting.

I just got back from the yarn shop and bought yarn for a new sweater, I'm so excited. Now I have to finish my summer one so I can start one for winter. And of course I have a few others being worked on too.

Knitting is my hobby, I haven't really shared that yet.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 151.1
  • Blood Ketones - 0.7
  • FBG - 82
  • Calories - 1900
  • Carbs - 24g (Fiber 6g), net 18g, 5%
  • Protein- 90g, 19%
  • Fat - 163g, 76%

Weight up but seriously I haven't pooped in two days (not normal for me.) Extra MCT oil didn't make the ketones go higher. I have more calories in me. Not going to overanalyze today because it's next to impossible.

Plan today is to just stick to plan. It's my day off so I have a lot to get done around the house and errands to run.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:04 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 152.1
  • Blood Ketones - 2.0
  • FBG - 75
  • Macros - didn't track

So much for the 149. Normal pattern though, so it will hopefully start edging back down.

I did not have MCT oil or CO yesterday and my ketones were at 2.0. LOL, no rhyme or reason.

Didn't track macros but probably ate close to maintenance as my foot still hurts and I did absolutely no activity, and I usually walk daily at minimum. I usually burn just under 2000 cals doing close to nothing, but with my sore foot I was not able to do even my normal nothing, so I was probably down to 1700 cals or less burned.

No specific plans for today. I'm going to a party tonight so I just need to eat on plan. Eating on plan isn't so difficult anymore.

I did dream about eating candy last night. That's my first food/carb dream that I have at least remembered.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 151.1
  • Blood Ketones - 0.2
  • FBG - 85
  • Macros - didn't track

Well my NovaMax did record a number under 0.5, I got a 0.2 today, not just a low. No clue about that.

Yesterday I did have more protein and less fat, that's a given. I went to a party last night and we ate quite late and a massive quantity of hamburger, I didn't even finish it. I think they were each 1/2 pound burgers, and lean on top of it. I drank about 3 oz of wine which was quite nice as I haven't had wine in 11 weeks. It did not start me wanting more thankfully. The rest was just some deviled eggs I made and veggies and dip.

I'll try to keep the protein low today.

Right now exercise is at zilch with my foot, though I was able to do weights yesterday. I need to eat less with my lower exercise expenditure right now.

I'm kind of going to be glad when this is all over because tracking is boring. And I'm obviously not tracking macros. Maybe I'll try harder today.

I've definitely fallen into a routine as far as eating low carb. A few weeks ago I was having a bit rougher time, I think because I was still eating a few to many carbs. I'm not having yogurt/cottage cheese, though I do have nuts.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Average weight loss shows up better this week than my Sun-to-Sun loss. I woke up feeling slimmer and the bodyfat was down noticeably.

This is just a slow ride.

Blood ketones still seem to be all over the place. It's probably useless to measure them to be honest. It's very expensive to measure when it maybe doesn't make much difference. I haven't decided on that yet. I can always measure 3 days a week, maybe I'll try that starting tomorrow.

I've had virtually no exercise this week in the form of walking or dancing (or the elliptical) as the cortisone shot I got hurts terribly. It looks like I might be in for surgery at some point. I can hobble a bit better today, and will do my full body weights this afternoon.

Just plugging along, I've gotten bored with tracking macros, so I quit for the time being.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The foot sounds like it's having quite a disruptive impact on your day-to-day activities although it's commendable that you're continuing with your weight training.

0.8lb may sound small but it's respectable over a 4 week period (or it seems so to me but I'm a turtle in such matters).
Old 07-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

The foot issue is a major concern. I do have a neuroma, and now it looks like I might have pre-dislocation syndrome, which means an MRI next and most likely surgery. I'm totally freaked out by that. On top of it, tomorrow I get a thyroid biopsy. Why does all this stuff happen at once?

I just finished up my weights, it's not that much yet, but I'm finally starting to be able to increase the weights. I have disk issues of the neck, so I have to be very careful not to overdo anything. I've set up a small workout area and bought a nice bench and am about to purchase the next size up of weights (going up to the 20 lb dumbbells). I also have a TRX, the exercise ball, and a wonderful elliptical.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What a concatenation of things to deal with at the same time, particularly as the foot problems make it tricky to move about easily.

Nice progression with the dumbbells