Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
My blood sugar has stayed up over 100 all day. Interesting. I've had no carbs other than a few veggies. So.....I have quite impaired insulin something or other. I get lost in this stuff to be honest. Phase 1 and Phase 2. I think it's a Phase 2 thing, it should have gone back down after 4-5 hours max, yet 24 hours later it's still elevated.

Very very interesting.....and scary in a way.

I'll track again before bed, since I just had dinner (chicken, mayo, tomato/cuc salad).

Hopefully I'll be dropping again by tomorrow.

I need to research this more, and learn more about my own issues.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
yep
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

And it's stayed elevated yet again today. HUH?????

I've been in ketosis (as per blood ketones) and pee stinks, but my sugars are a good 20-30 pts high.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

One night can make you appear to screw up an entire week, but it really isn't so.

Let me explain....Friday night we ate out at an Italian Buffet, I ate a very sweet and rich dessert. The rest of the dinner I ate fairly carefully.

For some odd reason I did not (as of yet) go out of ketosis. But my blood sugar has stayed elevated for 48 hours so far. I find this quite disturbing.

Obviously my weight popped back up, my belly measurement grew, I'm not too concerned right now about 2 lbs of retained water, glycogen, etc.

This is just another wake up call as to why I need to eat low carb.

I never quite understand the difference between being insulin resistance and not making enough insulin, in the long run for me, it probably doesn't matter yet if eating low carb solves any of my issues.

Scary stuff though.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:20 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 147.4 (still up)
  • FBG - 100 (still too high)
  • Blood Ketones - 0.9 (a bit lower)

We'll see what today brings.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

That's crazy that your FBG is still higher than normal.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
That's crazy that your FBG is still higher than normal.
Rebecca, it's kinda freaking me out a bit. I don't know what it means exactly, I easily get lost in the discussion about insulin, blood sugar, phase 1 or 2, resistant this or that. I just can't follow it all.

Hopefully it will be lower by tomorrow morning, at least in the 90's, and continue downward. It's always a struggle for me to get it down, but it will go down eventually.

~~~~~~~~~~

Keeping eats extra good today and as low in carbs as possible.

B- coffee/cream, 3 eggs, 1 T butter
L- celery/creamcheese, cucumber, chicken thigh, lots of homemade mayo
S- contemplating a BPC
D- stirfry I believe
Old 09-10-2013, 04:49 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 147.4
  • FBG - 99
  • Blood Ketones - 1.1

Jeez, about the same for 4 days now.

I ate well yesterday, but the stirfry last night had a lot of fresh tomatoes (our garden is overabundant this year) and some cornstarch in the sauce. And the whole thing was delicious and I ate too much of it. At the same time, all good healthy foods.

Blood sugar is still running high. I was in the 80's before dinner, and 3.5 hours later at 110. I don't think I "spiked" but the numbers are coming down very slowly.

I think dinner tonight has tomatoes again. My husband does most all the cooking and can't comprehend that a tomato is a fruit. Plus he bought turkey meatballs (ugh, low fat and a few carbs for sure.) Seriously, I'm eating one meatball, tiniest bit of the sauce and then the zuchinni noodles, and extra olive oil. He's trying so hard to cook low carb, but he doesn't quite "get" exactly what low carb is in my mind. He also knows that I've gone from one diet to the other, and has always been accomodating to how I'm eating. I do not want to insult him in anyway. I know others might say to tell him exactly what I do or don't want, but then you have to remember....HE COOKS!!!!!!!!!!!! and I don't have to. That's why I try to be extra good during the day.

I'll check out the rest of his menus, and ask that the next few days be plain meat and veggies. He doesn't do "plain" well, and loves reading cooking blogs (though now he does the low carb and paleo ones) and such.

I will plan on restricting for the next few days, calorie-wise, keeping carbs quite low too. I want to be back to that lower 145 weight.

I've had the 2nd person comment on my weightloss yesterday.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
I've had the 2nd person comment on my weightloss yesterday.
I'm sure that will be happening more and more as time goes by.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:30 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 146.5
  • FBG - 109
  • Blood Ketones - 1.3

I feel a bit "rantish" this morning. The whole thing gets old, doesn't it? We just want to see losses, feel we are doing right, and nothing really happens. Then we turn around and try to write a supportive comment to someone else on the boards.

I'm going to track for the next few days. I think I go automatically into a maintenance mode, and eat enough to maintain and not lose.

You'd think by now my blood sugar numbers would have gone back to normal, but nope. Sorry, that makes no sense. One meal doesn't change things that much (I hope) so I'm obviously continuing to eat extra carbs.

So that's the plan, track like a maniac for a few days. Saturday I'm going out to a winery/lunch with the galpals and I will enjoy some wine tasting, but lunch...it's a fire-oven pizza wagon or something like that. No pizza for me obviously, think they have salads.

The plan is to track for the next 3 days, and keep those carbs minimal.

Put myself back in my place.

For example, tomato dishes the past 2 nights in a row. I had the tiniest bit of sauce last night and only 2 meatballs. And then zuchinni. I guestimated 12 carbs for the sauce/meatballs, not counting the zuchinni.

Then when we were out last night at friends he opened a bottle of homemade dandelion wine. Quite good, but very sweet like a dessert wine. I had 2 very small glasses, or about a 5 oz serving total. Wine is obviously my downfall, but that is the exact time when I do want to drink it, out with friends or dinner (just not at home all the time). Just occasionally. I enjoyed it, but I'm sure it didn't help.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Hang in there, Annette!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:36 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 145.2
  • FBG - 103
  • Blood Ketones - 1.3

New low, YEA!!!

Fasting is still 20 pt higher than I'd like. Still don't know what's up with that. Ketones are fine, wish they'd be higher.

A new low is always a sign of moving in the right direction, even when it seems to take forever. If I could just keep tight reign for a few more days...we'll see what happens. I'll keep trying to track.

Without a doubt, keeping calories lower does make a difference when it comes to losing. Eat tight for a few days, relax (maintain) for a few more, and rinse and repeat.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

I'm thinking about what makes me happy. Food is good, I love food, but food is not my prime directive...lol.

I've had a busy busy day. Plus, it's my day off from work. We've been busy painting the outside of our house, though it's been so hot that it's taking us quite awhile....doesn't matter, it will get done.

The house is old and kinda crummy. I'm getting estimates on some new windows, got another estimate this morning.

Spent time on my hands, knees and butt, scouring the kitchen floor and grout. We cook a lot, have a big dog and 3 cats and a teenaged son...it's quite dirty. I also resealed it.

I painted the front door, one coat to start. Not sure what I think yet, but so be it.

Ah yes....where was I going with this story...what makes me happy? I bought wine tonight, and I'm enjoying it. I was happy when my sweetie was home and tonight we'll make a nice dinner together (salmon, sauteed mushroom, salad) and then watch a netflix show together.

The low carb part of life is actually pretty darn easy when one doesn't stray, but honestly, I love some wine.

So I'm looking forward to my evening, and I'll get to knit and relax, and enjoy my dinner and my family......life is good.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:41 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Yea, it's almost the weekend and I LOVE the weekend. The weather should be finally cooler which means lots of good weather for painting and yardwork and long doggy walks.
  • Weight - 146.2
  • FBG - 93

Ate that flaxseed pancake yesterday and my blood sugar is down. Hmmmm...the week I ate them daily, was my lowest blood sugar. I probably need to eat them a little more often, just not daily. I might have one again today, we'll see.

The new glucometer/strips just shipped so hopefully they won't take too long. I did some reading and it comes out on top for accuracy and such, so I'll just stop the questioning.

I think my yearly physical is in October some time. I need to check and I'll have a few tests fun. She won't want to run the whole gamut as I had them done in May for insurance, but I'm sure curious to know what the changes have been since I'm been pretty strict on my low carb.

I've never had Vit D or insulin levels tested, so I might ask about that.

Looking forward to a nice day, it's only a short work day, my husband will also be home early and it will just extend the weekend.

No specific food plan yet, not sure what's for dinner.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 145.9
  • FBG - 85

Yea, my fasting number has finally dropped back down. It took almost a full week after eating off plan. Now that's crazy, isn't it? So basically, I can't eat off plan, and next time I do choose to splurge, it will only be a taste or two. I know better now that my body just doesn't recover properly. Something in my whole "insulin" process is dinged up, I just don't know the exact details.

My weight is back down too, super nice...this is my new low, the 145's and hopefully it won't be long until I start seeing the next number down.

Weightloss is going to start getting excrutiatingly slow at this point unless I drop my calories and I don't want to do that. Yea, I'd like to be done with this process, but I think I'll just let my body go for the ride, as long as I see decreases and not increases.

My average loss for last week was 0.7 lbs. So far for this week I'm only showing 0.2. Hopefully by tomorrow it will be a bit more, and I will have lost only 1 lb in 2 weeks, but hey, that's still a loss, and I won't complain (much...lol.)

I hope to stay busy all weekend and stay out of the kitchen. I need to be aware of what I eat, sometimes snacks can add up, cheese and nuts and such. I need to remember to eat celery, cucumbers, mayo, creamcheese, things like that do me well. I'm not always in the mood for a BPC, though sometimes they are good.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Not the most exciting week weightlosswise (great word, huh?) but it's another week down.

Blood sugar finally started dropping again and the blood ketones have risen again.

We ate out last night at a Mongolian Buffet, hence my weight increase this morning.

Just going to keep truckin' along.

Last edited by AnnetteW; 09-15-2013 at 06:17 AM..
Old 09-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 146.2
  • FBG - 89

Nuttin' too exciting, but my weight was still nice and low. Hopefully I'll sneak down a bit more. Not expecting to see a lower number tomorrow, though, I sure ate a lot today. Lots of protein (more than needed) and lots of fats too. Just more overall, except for carbs.

Tomorrow is a good day for me to restrict a bit, as we go dancing in the evening, and I don't like to eat much prior to that. Then Thursday is my day, off, and Friday another dance night. Saturday is lunch out with the ladies (and wine tasting) so I might just have to use the next 3 days for some harder restrictions.

That's my plan at least.

My new glucometer came yesterday and I immediately tested it. It's a Freestyle lite, and I read a lot of good reviews on it's consistency and accuracy.

I've been using a Relion Micro (from Walmart) which I really like and it seems consistent. I also recently bought the Relion Prime, which I'm still on the fence about.

Tested all 3 yesterday afternoon. Got the following:
Freestyle - 91
Micro - 92
Prim - 102

Okay, so if we're off by 10 pts, that's quite a bit at the numbers I'm looking at.

But then this morning, on the Freestyle (which is to be my FBG meter) I had an 89) and I had an 84 with the Prim the day before.

So honestly, who knows.

Since I regularly test my fasting, I will stick to the new Freestyle lite. Any other testing will be done with the other meters until the strips are used up. I think I prefer the Micro, even though the strips cost a bit more.

I had very inconsistent readings with the Relion Ultima, also from Walmart, though the strips are the same as for the Precision Xtra, and using the Relion strips in the Precision Xtra, seems to give much more consistent results.

This is crazy stuff, don't you think?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

It sure is!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:23 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 146.9
  • FBG - 89
  • blood ketones - 1.7
  • Urine Ketones - small

Okay, ready to "strict" up for a few days I think. Keep the calories and quantities a bit on the low side and attempt it without tracking. Ha ha...that's where it might not work.

Plus, I'm STILL having horrible leg cramps and I really need to deal with this. I've been adding magnesium and potassium....no help. Now I"m going to crank up the water and the sodium. I really hate adding extra sodium to my diet, but I guess I have to do it.

Won't that work well as I try to drop a few pounds...NOT. I know I know...water weight is not fat weight. But I always get puffy eyes from extra sodium.

I'll attempt 2 servings of broth with extra salt in them today. I'll bring one with me to work to sip on and one in the afternoon. Maybe after work I'll hit Natural Grocers and get some of the fancy dirty salt. Hey, I could use some more dark chocolate bars too.

And I guess I need to drink much more water, blah.

But these cramps are something awful, and nightly now too. I eat veggies and I eat almonds. I guess I will really just focus on supplements, salt, and water.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #140
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: petchatter
Stats: 218/157/135
WOE: Dynamite 180
Start Date: March 2011
If you haven't tried the pink or grey non-iodized salt give it a go. It doesn't react the same way in your body as the white stuff. Also on the Magnesium what type? I take one that is chelated, Glycinate/Taurinate. Keeps me regular and muscles relaxed. There are different types and not all are as effective, so you may just need some minor tweaking to resolve the water retention and muscle cramps. Hope you get some relief soon!

Debbra in PA
petchatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
[LIST]Now I"m going to crank up the water and the sodium. I really hate adding extra sodium to my diet, but I guess I have to do it.

Won't that work well as I try to drop a few pounds...NOT. I know I know...water weight is not fat weight. But I always get puffy eyes from extra sodium.

I'll attempt 2 servings of broth with extra salt in them today. I'll bring one with me to work to sip on and one in the afternoon. Maybe after work I'll hit Natural Grocers and get some of the fancy dirty salt. Hey, I could use some more dark chocolate bars too.
What kind of salt are you using?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petchatter View Post
If you haven't tried the pink or grey non-iodized salt give it a go. It doesn't react the same way in your body as the white stuff. Also on the Magnesium what type? I take one that is chelated, Glycinate/Taurinate. Keeps me regular and muscles relaxed. There are different types and not all are as effective, so you may just need some minor tweaking to resolve the water retention and muscle cramps. Hope you get some relief soon!

Debbra in PA
Funny about the magnesium actually. I've only just recently started cramping and I realized I bought a different magnesium a few weeks back. Coincedence? And I've been noticing my left hip is starting to ache, and my neck is acting up and I'm headachey, and sleeping sucks.

Go figure....that crappy magnesium wasn't doing a thing.

I bought a new one today that is a chelated glycinate and took 2 right in the parking lot. I'll take some more tonight and hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
What kind of salt are you using?
I also bought some of the Celtic Salt and took a taste in the car. I just don't care for salty flavors, but I guess the more I use the more I'll get used to it too, and want it.

I put some in a water bottle and drank it up. Sprinkled extra on my salad, and will do a broth with extra salt in it for a snack.

That will probably be it for today, I'm going to be water logged by tomorrow, but I know my body will adjust after a few days.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Okay, so I've been well seasoned today, with lots of extra salt. We'll see if I have puffy eyes in the morning, the scale might be scary too. I added extra salt to stuff, and had broth with extra salt too. Added some to a bottle of water and drank that.

I took the new magnesium twice today, once just now before bed along with extra potassium. I hope I'm hydrated.

Let's see what happens tonight. Please please please...no leg cramps.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 148
  • FBG - 85
  • leg cramps - no
  • sleep quality - crap
  • neck pain - yes
  • back pain - yes

Eek, weight is definitely up. Not fun, but I know it's water weight. But my blood sugar is great again, in the 80's now for 6 days straight. That one high carb meal raised my fasting for 6 days to over 100 still blows my mind. I would love to know the science behind that. Not sure where to start on that. Maybe I don't care....I know what I have to do. Next time I do splurge, and yes, I know there will be a splurge, it will be a very very little one.

Oh, no leg cramps last night, yea...though I didn't sleep well at all. Since I want to pay attention to my body aches and pains, and see if the magnesium might have been helping them before (aches came back just recently) I'm going to track them for a week or so,
Old 09-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 147.2
  • FBG - 96
  • Blood ketones - 0.9
  • leg cramps - no
  • sleep quality - major crappola (big storms)
  • neck pain - yes, but less
  • back pain - yes, but less

This extra sodium might be stopping today. I'm just back to normal sodium and try to use a bit extra. My bags have bags and my face looks horrid, did yesterday too.

We went out for dinner last night and I ended up eating. I should not have started on the tortilla chips, and I had ordered my taco salad without beans and it had beans on it. The power was in and out at that point, the storm was tremendous, and I didn't think it was worth sending my salad back to not have beans on it. Plus beans are allowed, they just have carbs. So I ate it and enjoyed it and ate too many tortilla chips too.

But I had no other carbs all day, minus a few sunflower seeds.

I'll check blood ketones again tomorrow, but I was at 0.9 this morning.

Once again my FBG was higher at 96 and it had dropped nicely into the 80's this past week. I will just see where it is the next few days, and if the fasting stays up again, like after my last carb dinner, it will be interesting to note.

I'll be a good low carber again.

So sleep was horrible once again. I truly don't know what's up and what I can do about it at this point. No leg cramping though, which is good, so maybe the magnesium is helping. My aches/pains are still there too.

Glad the weekend is ahead of us.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:46 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member

I"m maintaining quite nicely without really trying.

The weight loss part does require trying harder, and restricting.

I ate out twice this past week and maintained well. Twice is too much though, later in maintenance mode I would like to consider 1 meal out a week. Not a full day, just one meal.

On Saturday I went to a winery with friends, and after wine tasting there was a brick oven pizza truck to order from. Online I had seen salads...not there...darn.

I am not sensitive to flour, but even I know, flour is carbs. Okay, I could have /should have just eaten the toppings, but I thought I'd just eat one slice. Silly silly me...it was so delicious.

Not just carblicious, where it's a craving thing, I'm not having cravings. I had the truffle oil, sundried tomatoes and spinach, baby portabellos, and I asked for arugula on top.

Darn yummy.

I ate the entire pizza.

My blood sugar 3 hours later was 163. Absolutely not allowable. One slice and my body probably would have been able to handle it, but not all four.

Each time I do this, I just use the numbers as a lesson and I have to reinforce in my brain that I can not do these things.

I didn't consider it a binge as I chose to eat it, I wasn't controlled by it. But still.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do need to be careful this week as I have 2 eating out opportunities this coming weekend. Friday is the fish fry where I go dancing, and it's the best fish I've ever had. So yes, I will eat that. Though I can be careful with the other potluck items. I plan on making some homemade tartar sauce with my yummy homemade mayo.

And Saturday it's out to dinner with some friends, so I'll be careful and just eat appropriately.

I need to find motivation though to work on these last 10-15 lbs. Right now I'm enjoying the weight I'm at without working so hard at it. It's kind of nice, but it's not where I want to be.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:55 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

You can see how I had ZERO average weight loss this week. I've also highlighted my two meals out with corresponding numbers that I track.

Mexican food we ate in the evening, but the pizza was a lunch item and I don't think I ate much the rest of the day. So that might be why my weight and all stayed down. Honestly, that makes no sense. I thought the crust would cause me to add water to my cells.

One meal doesn't seem to affect nutritional ketosis too terribly. Though the meals were definitely closer together than I am happy with.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

1. Weight - 146.2
  2. FBG - 85
  3. Blood ketones - 0.8
  4. leg cramps - no
  5. sleep quality - moderate
  6. neck pain - slightly stiff
  7. back pain - slightly stiff

I need to start exercising more.....starting today. I've been a bum and have been knitting all the time. It's hard on my rump.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:42 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 145.7
  • FBG - 88
  • Blood ketones - 0.9
  • leg cramps - no
  • sleep quality - ok
  • neck pain - slightly stiff
  • back pain - slightly stiff

I sure have nothing exciting to say lately. Things are the same one day to the next. I didn't get any exercise yesterday other than a walk with the dog and my husband. Such lovely weather. I'll take the dog out when I get home from work today.

I gave up on the extra sodium, I just don't care for the taste of more salt. I just need to use it to taste, that's best for me.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 144.6
  • FBG - 89
  • Blood ketones - didn't test
  • leg cramps - yes, minor
  • sleep quality - ok
  • neck pain - slightly stiff, crunchy
  • back pain - slightly stiff, very sore hip last night dancing

Well, look at that, I saw a new low number today of 144.5 and my bodyfat had a new low too of 32.9%

It's starting to really sink in that I'm losing my weight and it hasn't been all that difficult. Another 10 lbs and I'm in the door, and can worry about any few last vanity lbs at that point if I care or not. Any where from 130-135 is good for me (138 was my weight watchers goal). It will be more about what size I want to wear, and sticking to clothes that fit, not have a skinny wardrobe and a fat wardrobe. That I do not want.

So nice to see the number drop after a few weeks, I had no noticeable scale movement for the past 2 weeks. And even if I only dropped 2 lbs in a month, I'd be at goal in 5...how cool is that?