Old 08-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Remind me - What is Shangri La again? Is it the "only eat bland food" thing?
It's the eat a spoonful of bland oil between meals diet. I didn't end up doing it yesterday. Blah. Not my idea of a good time I decided.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2013, 04:18 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 148.4
  • FBG - 95
  • Urine ketones -
  • Blood ketones - 1.5

Nothing too exciting to report.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:47 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
It's the eat a spoonful of bland oil between meals diet. I didn't end up doing it yesterday. Blah. Not my idea of a good time I decided.
If I am quitting all the yummy garbage I used to eat, you better believe that I want the food that I do eat to be yummy.

I do not agree with all of the "food reward" stuff.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Rebecca, such a good point. I do agree with you. I want to enjoy my food, though sometimes I do enjoy it too much. I have told my husband numerous times not to cook such yummy food or I eat too much. So that is an example of the food reward idea.

But, I'm not going to do the oil between meals. If I need some oil, I'll have a BPC in the afternoon.

~~~~~~~

I'm kinda stuffed right now. I had 2 chicken thigh/leg quarters for lunch, but not too long after I was still feeling like I needed food. I had 2 of the cashew-peanut butter cookies and some coconut flakes in my purse, so I ate them (driving home.) Then later at home I scooped up a bowl of the chia seed pudding I made yesterday, topped it with HWC and some extra artificial sweetner.

I do think my sweet tooth might be kicking in. I will definitely work on that next week. But not till then, I'm enjoying my weekend.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 147.5
  • FBG - 102
  • Blood ketones - 0.9

Now I'm thinking about yesterday and what I might have eaten that's showing a rise in my fasting blood glucose. Yes, the ketones are down too and that's probably related, though the number is still good so obviously my carbs are still low enough.

I'm not counting the numbers though.

This is what I ate:
Breakfast - coffee/cream, 3 eggs, 1 T butter
Lunch - 2 chicken leg/thigh (nice and fatty with skin)
Snack 1 - 2 low carb cashew-peanut butter cookies (erythritol and splenda are the sweetner), coconut flakes
Snack 2 - Chia seed pudding (made with unsweetened almond milk) more artificial sweetner and cream
Snack 3 - 2 glasses white wine
Dinner - taco salad (lettuce, meat, tiny bit of tomato, cheese, sour cream)
Snack 4 - 1 glass wine wine

Okay, so I obviously probably overdid the wine, but I was headachey and it just helps me relax, and it was oh so good. Definitely the most likely culprit, though alcohol tends to lower my blood sugar, but this was white wine and sweeter than a red I normally drink.

The chia seed pudding is something I've never had before, and it's possible the seeds have hung out in my system long enough to cause a delay in blood sugar. I definitely notice that with certain foods.

I know I've been eating too many artificial sweetners, and plan on working on that come Monday, but I've never noticed a blood sugar rise from them.

My guess is just going to be that I ate and drank too much from the afternoon on, never allowing my numbers to drop. I'm pretty darn sure I never had any spikes, I don't seem to be spiking on anything lately, but now I'm thinking it's time I do a little more testing.

I'm probably just over looking at things. Right now it's the weekend and I want to enjoy it. I know myself enough to know I'll never be perfect about food, I get bored easily and need to change things up constantly. I'm in a bit of a bored place right now, but I'm pretty sure baked treats aren't the way to go.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Week 16 report

I'm definitely going to keep paying attention to blood sugar. The average was a bit higher this week. I drank wine most nights too, so I'm guessing it's the wine. It was white vs. red....who knows.

I dropped about 1 lb and lost a bit in measurements.

I'm going to do my best to only do blood ketones 2 times per week, there doesn't seem to be a reason to do it daily right now.

I'm not cheating, but I am expanding my range a bit. I had sunflower seeds again today and they are so yummy. Oh, and I had no leg cramping last night after the sunflower seeds yesterday. I had less today, but we'll see what happens.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Looking good! Slow and steady wins the race!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:22 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Looking good! Slow and steady wins the race!
I'd rather be a race car.....
Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 148.5
  • FBG - 89
  • Urine ketones - moderate

Okay, I did it, I didn't measure blood ketones. I guess that wasn't so difficult. I'll either do it Thursday and then Sunday, or maybe just Sundays. Or maybe this Thursday and Sunday and then just Sundays.....I wanna know...but I don't want to spend the money on something so silly.

Weight up a pound, no biggy, I know I ate a larger quantity of food yesterday. My tummy feels slimmer though. Always weird how that works.

I truly need a new focus this week. I drank white wine 6 out of 7 days last week, more than 2 bottles, less than 4.....and honestly, though it was divine, I know it's not what I need. Interestingly enough my weight was fine, down a lb, but perhaps I had a rise in my blood sugar.

So I'll just do what I know is right and not drink this week. Sometimes when I'm hurting I want wine, and I was having lots of headaches from trying the monovision contact. I honestly think that was a bit of the trigger.

Now to get it out of my body again.

Exercise has been sucking big time lately. I don't naturally enjoy it, though I do like walking and it's gotten so hot again, well into the 90's. I have a decent weight setup in the basement I've been working on to.

Goal for this week is to exercise more. My body responds well to exercise as long as I don't do too much. I will face the heat when I'm home from work and do my hour long walks with the dog. And I will do some weights every other day. I need to get the habit rolling.

Diet is fine, I'm rolling with that one and don't feel a need to change it up yet.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I drank white wine 6 out of 7 days last week, more than 2 bottles, less than 4.....and honestly, though it was divine, I know it's not what I need. Interestingly enough my weight was fine, down a lb, but perhaps I had a rise in my blood sugar.

So I'll just do what I know is right and not drink this week. Sometimes when I'm hurting I want wine, and I was having lots of headaches from trying the monovision contact. I honestly think that was a bit of the trigger.
Do you think you can just stop? It seems like it might help...
Old 08-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Oh yea, that's not the problem. I had bought it for a party, and then the party didn't happen, and then it was in the house, so then....you got it, I drank it.

It is just too darn hot to walk outside, and only going to get hotter as the week goes on. My exercise plans might not be quite as good as I had planned. If that's the case, I'll just have to work harder on the weight workouts, but I did one yesterday, so I'll wait till tomorrow.

Had a lovely lunch today, nice big salad and a burger with my yummy mayo on it.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:25 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 147.5
  • FBG - 93

New low on the bodyfat scale. It showed 34.4 this morning. New lows not matter what they are are always exciting. Actually my weight is all the way back to it's new low of last week, so I know the scale is moving again. It always seems so slow, but you can tell when it's happening. Now to just hit a new "new low." LOL.

Actually I woke up feeling skinny this morning and almost expected it to show 146-something. Maybe tomorrow.

Ate lots of fats yesterday. All of a sudden I'm actually craving them. Maybe my body has finally accepted the change and wants the fats.

I went for a 2.8 mile walk last night, and hope to do it again today, but get it upped to 3 miles. More than an hour is just too long. Plus I want to do my weights this afternoon when I'm home from work.

Jeez, when am I going to find time to knit?

Menu yesterday
Breakfast - coffee, cream, 2 eggs, butter
Snack - almonds
Lunch - hamburger patty, mayo, salad, oil dressing
Snack - chocolate, tons of decaf iced tea with AS
Dinner - thigh, mock potato salad
Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Jeez, when am I going to find time to knit?
It's all about priorities, Annette! Now sit down and pick up those needles!
Old 08-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 147.1
  • FBG - 94
  • Urine ketones - moderate

Weight is making small small drops, but it's getting close to that 146 number. Maybe I'll see it tomorrow. I really wish my FBG would drop. Not sure what's up with that. I think it goes lower when I eat my flaxseed pancake for breakfast. That week when I ate one eat day my numbers were lower. Maybe I'll have one today and tomorrow. Numbers are great during the day anytime I track, always under 100.

Really working on upping my exercise, got in an hour long walk yesterday evening and my weight workout. I always respond well to exercise and need to do it as long as my foot will let me.

~~~wrote this on the NK board, meant to write it here~~~
I was excited to finally change a number on my weight officially. And I recently upped my goal weight, even though I want to be lower, I want 135 to be my top weight, so now I only have 12 lbs officially yet to lose.

Hey, that sounds doable.

It's been 17 weeks and 17 lbs. I wish they'd come off faster since it took me a month to lose 2 lbs. I have it in my head that I'd like to be at goal by the holidays, but I've learned not to set a date, just as long as the number goes down, no matter how slowly.

I realized that by losing so slowly I would never actually have to transition to eating at maintenance, I would be eating at that range once I got there. Kind of an interesting concept.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Experimenting a bit today with blood sugar. Came home from work with a headache so I thought I'd test before I ate lunch (had had 1/2oz of almonds maybe 1.5 hours earlier....

Well, how about I just list numbers I had today:

Fasting - 94

Breakfast ~ 7:20 AM (coffee, HWC, flaxseed pancake with 1/4 c gr. flax, 2T sourcream, 1 egg, 1T MCT, 1 T CO)

Snack - 1/2 oz almonds

1:30 PM- blood sugar at 78 (felt headachy)

Lunch at 1:30 - salad, 2 eggs, cucs, 2T mayo, 2Tdressing, 2T sunflower seeds

2:30 PM - blood sugar at 86 (great!, but still headachy)

3:30 PM - blood sugar at 76 (low for me, still headachy)

Ate dark chocolate, ~ 6g carbs, 8g fat

4:40 PM - blood sugar at 89

Obviously the numbers have stayed low all day, maybe a bit too low for me to feel good. Dinner is just brats and sauerkraut, dancing tonight, so exercise.

Think I'll just track a bit more often. I do know what foods I can and can't eat for my blood sugar, but I just wish my FBG would go down a bit, but it rarely does, or it does for a short while.

Without a doubt though, Low Carb is wonderful for keeping my blood sugar right on track.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:05 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 147.8 (I truly expected a drop, and feel I deserve one)
  • FBG - 87
  • Blood ketones - 2.6

Yes, I'll admit seeing the scale go up messed with my head today as I truly expected it to go down. Maybe tomorrow. I'm really wanting it to drop.

Maybe I have to "diet" for a few days. Something to consider.....

Ugh, so not fun.

I'm kind of to the point where I'm tired of being fat and just want to be skinny.

I feel that way often after a dance night, when all the cute young half nekked chickypoos are on the floor. I don't want to look like them, I do want to look hot for a 50 year old woman. From a distance (and it's dark there) I want people to see me and think I'm young and have a great figure, then see me up close and realize, dang, she's a lot older than I though. I'm always impressed by women like that, who appear much younger. It's the body and how she holds herself, and how she moves, stuff like that.

Well, today's another day. I'm thinking I'm retaining fluid so I might watch the sodium a bit. I've never done well with the extra sodium they push on low carb. I'm not sodium shy, but tons of extra just puffs me up.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

My level of frustration is high today and I'm not sure why. I woke up not feeling well, headache and sinuses. It's still so hot out, upper 90's. My day off from work too.

I finally decided to deal with clothes. Nothing more I hate than dealing with clothes and I have lots of them. Only reason I have so many now is that I discovered thrift shops and they have so much awesome stuff for next to nothing.

A couple years back when I lost so much weight, I had lots of cute clothes, which by the way have gone to my daughter. I rather see her wearing my too small clothes than boxing them up.

So my weight went up, and I didn't buy much at all as I was losing, just dealt with it. But I needed things to fit, so I bought stuff as I went from about a size 4/6 back up to 14. I had gotten rid of clothes bigger than 12, so as I got back up there, I had stuff to wear.

For some reason I have a gazillion pairs of jeans about size 10, 15 pairs of which are now hanging in the closet as they all fit.

WHAT?????

I have no clue why I have so many jeans.

No one needs that many. And I have too much of everything right now. I don't wear fancy clothes, jeans and tops, slacks and tops, sweaters....and exercise clothes.

But my weight has gone up and down so many times I hate to get rid of stuff.

More and more I want to be thin, truly...not just suck it up and be happy where I am. And that means getting down to around 130 lbs and that size 4/6, whatever the darn label insists on saying.

I don't know why the clothes issue is just so hard. I don't need that many in the closet, I have to cull it down.

Donate away I guess, whether it fits or not.

I think I'll take a short break, and then go try on each of those pairs of jeans and keep only 5 pairs.

In fact, maybe I'll not keep larger sizes, and just donate them too. This is silly and has to stop.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:44 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 147.5
  • FBG - 76 (hotdog! I hope that's accurate)

I so feel on the verge of a whoosh...I'm waiting so patiently.

Look at that blood sugar. Now that's what I like to see, and I hope it's accurate and not just a fluke.

I'm going to keep myself on track as close to 100% as possible. Over the weekend I want to try to keep the calories a bit lower (until I am too hungry.) Carbs low low low, only 13g yesterday, and protein a bit lower. We'll see if that FBG can stay low.

I won't test ketones again till Sunday or Monday. I should just make Sunday the regular test day.

As far as eating today, my husband and I talked about going out for a drink tonight, and just a small salad or appetizer. My hunger is lowest in the evening. I only work till noonish today, get my crown on (my tooth) so I'm hoping to push off eating most of today, with just some snacks, almonds and cheese. But I'll be really hungry by afternoon...not sure yet.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:59 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Nice FBG!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:27 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 146.2
  • FBG - 73

I finally had that little whoosh I kept feeling I deserve. Now to see if I can keep it down there.

I looked back at what I've been eating the past few days (I think I tracked the last 4-5) and on each of them I've kept protein lower for a change, in the 45-55g range, where usually I eat a lot more protein. But, I've also been doing a lot more exercise this week, nothing insane, but I've upped my daily walking distance and did 3 days of weights rather than just the occasional 1 day.

So obviously at least one of those things, or more likely the combo, has helped with my blood sugar. In fact, I tested multiple times yesterday and was always in the 70's and 80s(after eating.) My numbers never run that low.

I'm quite pleased by this. I have had a headache for a few days though, and I'm wondering if it's related as my body is adjusting.

My goal is to keep that blood sugar down because I feel like when one thing happens right, the other good things follow (weight loss).
Old 09-03-2013, 04:47 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Weight is up then down, then up then down.

Feel skinny today, it's up....go figure.

Oh well.

Finally had someone comment the other night that I'm losing weight. Plus it's a person I respect, so that's even better. For some reason I hate when people comment on my weight. She's seen me go up and down before. I'm not announcing my weight loss to the world as truly no one else cares.

Will update last week's results this afternoon.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 160/157/140 5'5"
WOE: NK
Start Date: 4/16/13
Hello!! I just got done reading this whole thread and I wanna say thank you for doing this! I have been playing with the idea of NK for a while now but I haven't been totally committed yet.

I think my problem is too much protein so it's very interesting that you noticed a change in your FBG and showed a small loss after eating less protein. I have been reading about how the body processes extra protein in your diet into glucose which we all know gets turned into fat. So I am going to try to keep the protein levels down enough while still finding a way to eat enough calories (which I am notoriously bad about doing).

Keep up the good work! It's a struggle but it's great to know that we aren't alone!

Michelle
MRSKUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Finally got my Week 17 data uploaded. I just get lazy at times.

I'm doing well now on Week 18 so far too. I've seen 146 already two days this week.

To me, that is how I can see I'm losing, if I start seeing numbers less than the ones the week prior. It's always so interesting.

I'm feeling lazy already this week, so the exercise that I was so good about doing has already been slacking off. Eats are still good, just doing the plan.

Had a BPC for my afternoon snack. I missed lunch (snacked on almonds, celery and creamcheese) and realized if I could just get through the afternoon without solid food, I should do fine till dinner. Which will be light since it's a dance night, and then maybe continue to see the lower weight in the morning.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSKUBY View Post
Hello!! I just got done reading this whole thread and I wanna say thank you for doing this! I have been playing with the idea of NK for a while now but I haven't been totally committed yet.

I think my problem is too much protein so it's very interesting that you noticed a change in your FBG and showed a small loss after eating less protein. I have been reading about how the body processes extra protein in your diet into glucose which we all know gets turned into fat. So I am going to try to keep the protein levels down enough while still finding a way to eat enough calories (which I am notoriously bad about doing).

Keep up the good work! It's a struggle but it's great to know that we aren't alone!

Michelle
It always amazes me that someone might gleen something from my little rambles. Hopefully something I've said has been helpful, thank you.

I'm not tracking macros, but I've learned it's not that difficult to cut back on protein. Most days I still eat three protein servings, but I keep them small. And occasionally I just skip one of those servings, and that's a great way to drop the protein down. Today I missed lunch (planned on Salmon) and consumed nuts, fats, some veggies, and more fat.

I'll try to eat less protein tomorrow too.

Anytime I restrict something though, after a few days I get a bit of a "need" and eat more of it, so I have to be careful to never restrict too much.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Hey! We are the same body fat percentage! (copy cat!)
Old 09-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey! We are the same body fat percentage! (copy cat!)
That's the body fat reading from my Aria scale. Whether or not it's accurate, I don't know. It's quite consistent though when I weigh each morning, and I can see the weekly average going down most weeks.

I did the formula you posted and came out about 2% lower, so I think the numbers are close to being right. Plus I know what I've weighed at lower weights and how slim I actually can be. I don't carry a lot of muscle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Weight - 145.9
  • FBG - 80
  • Urine Ketones - mod/large

Talk about exciting, the weight is still edging down a little at a time. I'm just trying to keep meals a bit smaller, really pay attention to the hunger thing. Keep the fat up. I like the fat, but it doesn't satiate me as a meal.

I missed my actual lunch yesterday, ate almonds then celery and cream cheese in place of lunch. Then thought I'd try a BPC to tide me over, and then snuck in to the dark chocolate. Then...it was close to dinner and I poured a glass of wine. Only ate a hamburger patty with mayo for dinner. That was fine.

Afternoons are the hardest part for me. I'm realizing I do need 4 meals a day, 2 smaller lunches work. Three meals and I just get hungry and headachy. My blood sugar drops then occasionally too low for my comfort and I don't feel good. My blood sugar is obviously getting much much better, but it's still not totally perfect. Often before lunch if I test it it will be in the 70's, which is a number I'm so not used to seeing.

I really need to track more.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

I hate tacking, but I know I have to do it.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I hate tracking, but I know I have to do it.
I know, I know...when I need to do it, I do it. I do off and on just to know where I am. Hopefully I don't stall.

Actually, I just realized that I hung out at 144 for so long in my life (after 3rd child was born) that it might be a sticking point. But last time I lost a large chunk of weight I actually breezed right through the 140's...so who knows.

I just know I have very little in clothes in the size 8 range. I have lots that fit right now, size 10's. And my daughter stole all the 4-6's when I gained again.

YEA!!!! Shopping.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 145.5
  • FBG - 90

Weight stayed down, YES! Tummy is looking quite flat and somewhat deflated. The skin has that loose wrinkling look, as it deflates of course. I can't complain I guess.

So looking forward to the weekend though I'm going to be doing lots of painting again. I'm just exciting to sleep in for a change.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:41 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 147.5 (up 2)
  • FBG - 109
  • Blood Ketones - 1.4
  • Urine Ketones - mod/large

Last night I chose to go out for dinner and eat, at an Italian Buffet no less. I didn't go absolutely crazy, but I did expect to be out of ketosis this morning after a lava cake with sweet cream sauce all over it, and 3 cream puffs, fried fish, and 3 rice balls (divine). I also had lots of caesar salad and some chicken.

So I'm a bit boggled right now as far as ketosis goes. Maybe for some people it's not quite so easy to fall in and out based on one meal.

My blood sugar is another story though, and I've been working hard to keep it steadily low. I tested a few times yesterday but not as consistently as I had hoped. I probably missed my spike, though I don't feel like I had a high one, so maybe my spike wasn't that large, and I never dropped hypo. In fact, I never dropped. I do what I think I normally do it rise and just stay high for a long time. I have to research this some more.

Obviously just not eating the crap is what I need to do. I think the large amount of fat kept the blood sugar from spiking, but also slowed down digestion so much. It's not like eating an apple on an empty stomach which kills me.

Ate at restaurant -didn't test prior, but my average lately in the day is 80's

7:15 (~1 hr after dinner started) 90
8:05 - 94
took a walk
watched TV
9:45 - 124
went to bed (drank lots of water)
1:40 AM - 99 (peed)
7:00 AM - 109 FBG

That FBG reading today is totally the sort of number I had regularly when not eating low carb, and I would occasionally get up over 125 (diabetic numbers). My doctor just said prediabetic and that I knew to eat low carb. It does just prove a point to oneself, don't you think?