Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Well, today is Monday and my start back to induction.

I had a good weekend with more food and it physically all feels good. I'm amazed how I feel good with more. Yes, it was more carbs, that I know, but still no grains or sugar. I did have quite a few blueberries, which I know is a lot of sugar (but not added sugar) and flax seed pancakes, and dang they were yummy. Had some wine on Friday, and gin on Saturday. So I have some body cleaning/detox to do too.

My weight it up a little bit (extra food in the gut) and the extra food/carbs did make me want to eat more. So getting back into ketosis is still number 1 goal. But my ketostix still changed when I use them, so I don't feel so bad, my carbs weren't too terribly high and getting back to induction should hopefully not be too hard.

I lost some of my data last week, and I didn't post my graph, plus I show a 0.8 lb gain. The week prior the loss was about the same, so it's a 2 week wash. Time to start doing this right again.

I really do want to get 15-20 lbs off. Maybe I'll focus on 10 lbs again, then take a short break if I feel I need to, then get back on. By short break I mean nothing no different than how things have been recently. Maybe just raise carbs a little (but only of the good stuff.0

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 152.4
  • FBG - 99
  • Urine ketones - forgot
  • Blood ketones - 1.4
  • Cals consumed - 1650
  • Cals burned - 2070
  • Protein - 99g, 24%
  • Carb - 16.5g (fiber 6g), 4%
  • Fat - 130g, 72%

The new blood ketone sticks arrived yesterday and I just had to give one a try. I got a 1.3 on my first measure. I have been reading low lately on the Novamax meter, and to be honest, I thought I was out of Ketosis (bloodwise) even though my urine stix always record ketones.

Then I tried one of the novamax stix and got a measure of LO. So all this time, perhaps it's just been the meter (or some bad stix) that wasn't recording.

I measured again and got 1.4, which is good, I followed Atkins nicely yesterday, not as low in carbs as I was trying. It's amazingly hard to go all the way back to Atkins '72 levels, with virtually no carbs. Two cups of lettuce a day is next to impossible.

My weight is up after this past weekend, but my bodyfat measures shows it as lean. One can hope it's muscle, but in reality it is the bit of water I'm holding.

I'm just so very happy to know I just have to keep at it and not necessarily try harder. My body is just holding on right now, and things will move eventually.

At least I'm feeling good. That goes a long way to making what one eats because a way of life.

BTW, I helped my son bake chocolate chip cookies last night, and though they really smelled good, I didn't feel the need to eat one. Of course, had I tried one, I would have eaten the whole batch, that is reality.

Goal for today - try to eat a bit less protein, but I think that will come as I get fully back on track.

Doctor's appt today to see the results of my ultrasound on my foot.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:10 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 151.5
  • FBG - 89
  • Urine ketones - forgot
  • Blood ketones - 1.7 (went up)
  • Cals consumed - 1765
  • Cals burned - 2065 (same as yesterday, wow!)
  • Protein - 84g, 19%
  • Carb - 19g (fiber 8g), 4%
  • Fat - 151, 77%

Blood ketones are reading nicely, so I will keep at whatever it is I'm doing. Difference from yesterday are more calories (possibly not though, lots of guestimating at my dinner, but I don't think it's higher, more likely lower.) I probably shouldn't over analyze since the numbers are similar enough.

I obviously burned the same amount of calories doing the same thing as the day before. Work, bum around the house, walk in the evening. Wish I could walk more, but that won't be happening for awhile. I do need to do more weights though, I'm feeling a bit lazy.

Felt the leg cramps early this morning, so I will remember to take extra potasium (that's it, right?)

Foot ultrasound is now sending me for an MRI for what looks like some obscure bone disease/issue. We'll leave it at that for now.

No specific plan/goal for today, just get through it. It's my longer day at work and it's been busy lately, and I will deserve my day off tomorrow, and
will enjoy it (minus yet another doctor's appointment.)
Old 08-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 159.8
  • FBG - 85
  • Urine ketones - moderate
  • Blood ketones - 2.1 (went up)
  • Cals consumed - 1365
  • Cals burned - 2170
  • Protein - 80g, 24%
  • Carb - 3.4g (fiber 0g), 1%
  • Fat - 113, 75%

I survived the day with no veggies. Look at that carb number! That's insane. In my tracker carbs showed up in cream, butter, eggs, mayo, and cheese.

Blood ketones have gone up again a little bit, so I'm nicely in ketosis. Weight dropped, but I would have expected that most likely.

Today is my day at home, I'm going to eat my breakfast late, as I have to not eat prior to my biopsy, then eat a late lunch and dinner. I will try no carbs for breakfast and lunch, but I think tonight is primarily a salad.

I really want to start seeing that weight go down, and the only way it's going to do that is for me to restrict my carbs and calories enough, and get some moderate exercise to keep my daily burn up over 2000 (that's my goal, not too high).
Old 08-09-2013, 04:25 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 150.1
  • FBG - 80
  • Blood ketones - 1.6 (went down)
  • Cals consumed - 2260
  • Cals burned - 1800
  • Protein - 89g, 18%
  • Carb - 38g (fiber 13g), 7%
  • Fat - 169, 75%

Obviously I overate yesterday, overdrank some wine actually, which shows up as carbs in my tracker of 10 g (it was probably more to be honest). Weight up slightly and still showing good ketones.

I do feel better though when I eat more, and a large salad at dinner time and nuts for a snack just made my day, as it was a rough day.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 150.5
  • FBG - 92
  • Urine ketones - large
  • Blood ketones - 2.5 (went up)
  • Cals consumed - 1772
  • Cals burned - 2060
  • Protein - 107g, 25%
  • Carb - 30g (fiber 10g), 7%
  • Fat - 126, 66%

Weight pretty much has been stable for 4 weeks now. Almost a stall. I feel good though. I really think my calories in and calories out are just too close, I'm maintaining. Restriction is just so difficult. I've always lost well when I can get a lot of extra exercising, like an extra 1hr walk in during the day. That tacks on a couple extra hundred calories, which gives me a higher daily burn. I guess I'll try adding in that walk, which I can do right now as my foot doesn't hurt currently.

So looking at blood ketones, they are up, and also the protein grams are up and I've eaten more carbs these past two days. My body appears to be comfortably in ketosis, so that isn't the issue.

When dancing last night I could feel the energy in my body. I've noticed it before when dancing, I literally feel the energy, and don't want to stop. That has to be my body using fat for fuel.

It makes me wonder if doing long sustain activity is what's needed, and in the Phinney/Volek book they do use their long distance bike riders in their studies.

But what about us regular people who don't get that much exercise.

Everyday I say I'll try to eat less, but I can't seem to go more than a day or two at a deficit, and that just isn't enough to cut it.

I've contemplated dropping the quantity of fat, but I kind of don't want to go there.

Or else I can just enjoy life where I am right now....hmmmmm.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Results from the last 2 week, no major changes for the last 3 weeks actually. My weight bops around, as do my measurements.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 150.5
  • FBG - 95
  • Urine ketones - large
  • Blood ketones - 2.2
  • Cals consumed - 1200 (probably more actually)
  • Cals burned - 2200
  • Protein - 85g, 28%
  • Carb - 37g (fiber 13g), 12%
  • Fat - 81, 60%

Numbers were definitely different yesterday as I sure ate less and burned more. Now if I could just do that regularly.

Carbs are up because our garden is loaded with tomatoes and I can't resist them. So I'm going to continue to allow the tomato carbs in my diet and see what happens.

Obviously blood ketones are still nicely in range.

Which means my body is happy and content, nicely burning ketones and fat and it's feeling good. It's just not losing weight as I'm maintaining too well right now.

Well honestly, I feel better here than elsewhere but hopefully I can get it moving again soon.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Subbing to keep up with your journey.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 150.1
  • FBG - 89
  • Blood ketones - 2.2
  • Cals consumed - 1500
  • Cals burned - 2000
  • Protein - 73g,19%
  • Carb - 37g (fiber 14g), 10%
  • Fat - 120, 71%

Stable stable stable....guess that's my motto. Ketones the same, weight not much different. Got less exercise, ate more though, it all balances out.

My body is enjoying the higher carbs and it doesn't seem to be affecting my ketones at all, so I'm going to try sticking to this range.

Want to eat a flax seed pancake for breakfast each day this week or until I get sick of them. Add the extra nuts, maybe 2 servings, and just see how it goes. My blood sugar seems more stable lately, maybe I just had to be doing this longer for it to be stable. I rarely see a number much higher than the very low 100's now, and fasting has consistently been under 100. The 80's make me feel safe.

Hopefully I can get more exercise, I've been slacking on weights lately.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:47 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

There's a lot to be said for stability!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #72
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rgr8e
Stats: 193/164.4/145 (5' 6")
WOE: LC & monitor calories
Start Date: Sept 1, 2011
Annette,
Thank you for this thread. All your information has been so helpful. It's encouraging to see others struggle with doing everything right--or at least 'almost'--yet see slow results. Yet, you keep going on and you ARE seeing results which is wonderful!
Robin
rgr8e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:04 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
There's a lot to be said for stability!
I totally agree, Rebecca. It teaches us about maintenance too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr8e View Post
Annette,
Thank you for this thread. All your information has been so helpful. It's encouraging to see others struggle with doing everything right--or at least 'almost'--yet see slow results. Yet, you keep going on and you ARE seeing results which is wonderful!
Robin
Hi Robin, it's nice to be encouraging to others. I'm bound and determined to do this, even through the periods of no obvious movement. I know my body is always adapting.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 149.6 (down !)
  • FBG - 90
  • Blood ketones - 1.9 (down slightly)
  • Cals consumed - 1600
  • Cals burned - 2200
  • Protein - 105g,26%
  • Carb - 32g (fiber 18g), 8%
  • Fat - 120, 66%

You might barely notice the movement on the scale, but I scooted down 1/2 a pound, which puts me under 150 again, which I first started seeing 3 weeks ago. That about when I started this little stall. So I'm quite pleased, plus my bodyfat showed lowest yet on my scale (34.3%). Maybe I'm back on track, we'll see how it goes the next few days.

Diet is feeling easier with the addition of the additional carbs, all in the form of ground flaxseed and nuts. So it looks like my body is doing well on those carbs, but it truth, I'm still having less than 20g of net carbs each day.

I'll keep up with my flaxseed pancake breakfast, until I'm bored with it, and see how it equates to losses.

I got back to the weights yesterday and afterwards finally wrote up a work out plan, and then did 15 min on my elliptical (dang that was hard.) I need to work on some cardio too.

Today I get the MRI of my foot done....oh yea, that's why I hadn't been doing much walking lately, I already forgot. Jeez.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Yay for being under 150!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Whoop whoop, weight down!
  • Weight - 148.5 (down !)
  • FBG - 89
  • Blood ketones - 1.4 (down slightly)

Didn't track macros.

My body is enjoying the extra fiber from the flaxseed pancake every morning. It obviously isn't hurting me negatively in any way.

Today is my day off from work, always a good day to keep my eating a bit on the lower side, unless of course I get the hungries, which can happen too.

Dancing wasn't great last night. I had no zip. I did great the other day on my mini BPC, and didn't have time to do one last night. Then I got a headache, the lights were starting to affect me and I was afraid of a migraine. We went home and I was craving wine.....interesting.

Wine is my go to when I don't feel well, whatever it may be. I had two glass, was definitely feeling it and then went to bed. I know drinking late on an empty stomach is a bit of a no no...but it's the way I've always preferred it. As long as I don't make it a habit again. It did feel quite nice, and I'll be honest and say I miss it.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

I'm glad you are making progress! I have started checking my blood ketones on Sunday mornings, so I have a few days to go. Do you check them every day?
Old 08-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm glad you are making progress! I have started checking my blood ketones on Sunday mornings, so I have a few days to go. Do you check them every day?
I have been checking daily, which I'm realizing isn't necessary. I think I'll just stick with once a week also. Sunday is a good day as I've been updating my other data that day. And worse case scenario, if I forget (or I think about it on Saturday) I can always do it on Monday.

Would save the big bucks too.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 149.6
  • FBG - 80
  • Urine ketones -
  • Blood ketones - 1.8

My body fat scale is showing a nice drop these past few days, so things are moving again. Excited to see if the numbers stay under 150 till the weekend.

More exciting is that I got a single contact yesterday to help with my near vision and that I was even able to get it in this morning. I'll wear it at work today and hope for the best.

Off to make my flaxseed pancake. I ran out of sour cream though for it, so I hope it turns out okay.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:23 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
I have been checking daily, which I'm realizing isn't necessary. I think I'll just stick with once a week also. Sunday is a good day as I've been updating my other data that day. And worse case scenario, if I forget (or I think about it on Saturday) I can always do it on Monday.

Would save the big bucks too.
Good idea.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Annette, which blood ketone monitor are you using? My Novamax is messed up, I think.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Not Annette, but I use the Precision Xtra. The Nova Max has been having recalls lately and everyone is complaining about it.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Annette, which blood ketone monitor are you using? My Novamax is messed up, I think.
Out of curiosity, what do you think is messed up about it? I honestly don't think mine worked at all. Out of almost 30 strips I only got a few actual readings, and I'm quite sure I was in ketosis. Plus when I got the Precision Xtra and tested both at the same time I would get Lo on Novamax, and 1.8 or so on the Precision Xtra.

Something is definitely wrong with the Novamax.

Did you order your strips from Canada? I did and they are then only $2 each.

I'm going to stop testing daily, kind of not necessary I guess and plan on testing once a week unless I want to out of curiosity sake.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Not Annette, but I use the Precision Xtra. The Nova Max has been having recalls lately and everyone is complaining about it.
I only heard about the recalls for the glucose strips, but yea, that thing just doesn't work.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 148.3
  • FBG - 93
  • Urine ketones -Large (think I was a bit dehydrated too though)
  • Blood ketones - 2.9

Weight has stayed under 150 all this week, so the loss is turning out to be a real one. I just need to stay careful.

Look at those blood ketones, they are the highest yet. I had thought not to measure so often, but being as wishy washy as I am, I think I'll do what I planned originally, and do it for the full 2 months. At that point I can either quit or more likely I'll just buy more and do it less often then. I'd kind of like to track till I lose my weight, or most of it at least.

Today I want to be careful with my eating. Lunch is out with girlfriends at a brewery, and I'm thinking a beer might be my carbs for the day, maybe a small salad with my dinner. I'll either do the steak for lunch or a burger/no bun.

Dinner is going to be brats as last night when we were watching the football game they kept showing PaleAle beerbrats (local beer) and seriously we saw the ad 6 times or so, and now we're going to try them. Advertising at work
Old 08-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

The scale finally dropped after holding steady for a few weeks. Ketones look great so I'm obviously eating appropriately. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing.

I don't seem to be knocked out of ketosis like others. I can eat more or less protein, more or less fat or carbs too. I've even had some wine (too much) and a beer on occasion. I'm eating too many artificial sweeteners, and right now I don't care. Extra carbs have been very fibrous, in the form of 3-4 T ground flax seed in a pancake. I'm not overeating cheese or nuts.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Love your chart! And most of your numbers are going in the right direction, too!
Old 08-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 149.6
  • FBG - 87
  • Urine ketones -moderate
  • Blood ketones - 1.3

I did a bad bad thing yesterday, downed pretty much an entire bottle of wine. Ummmm....and I still show ketones? Guess everything thing else was low carb enough. Actual, the diet portion seems down pretty well. Did eat out lunch and had Mexican food and I did eat 3 chips (I counted.) Oh, and some dark chocolate too.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Obviously now I just have to get all this alcohol out of my system and get back on track 100% and hope it doesn't affect me negatively in anyway.

Today is a short workday and when I get home I want to work on some more house painting.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 147.6
  • FBG - 86
  • Urine ketones -moderate
  • Blood ketones - 1.7

Don't let the lovely weight drop fool you. I was quite ill last night after Shangri-La'ing it with 2T of MCT oil in the afternoon. Trust me, it was a lovely picture. But the scale showed a nice drop....bwahhhhaaaaaa.

Okay, so now that that is over...

Blood sugar is good, urine ketones show, blood ketones are good, numbers are looking good. I just need to keep working it.

So this Shangri La Diet stuff, hmmm. Read some threads about it and the book was up at my library so I hauled my backside up there and picked it up. Quick and easy read.

Sounds a bit hokey, but heck, fat is fat and we are eating it on low-carb. I'm going to continue to try it but back up quite a bit. I just don't see doing it at work but I could 1 hour after lunch, most days at least. So starting today I will start with 2 t of ELOO (extra light olive oil) as recommended in the book, and work up slowly. With my day off tomorrow, an the weekend coming up, it's a good time to experiment.

I kind of don't know if I really need appetite suppression at this point as I do feel it's well suppressed. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, oh well. I still sometimes eat more protein than I probably need, and this might be a good way for me to decrease that desire.

There is so much exciting information out there to read and try.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Remind me - What is Shangri La again? Is it the "only eat bland food" thing?