Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Slowsure, thanks so much for always stopping by and having a friendly comment. It makes me feel good.

Turns out my appointment today was just for the endocrinologist to review my ultrasound and labs, talk to me, and then my insurance will be checked and the biopsy scheduled. Makes sense.

Yea, hobbling around is a bother, but it hurts at least a bit less each day. So I hobble less. I'm so freaked out about possible foot surgery. I think I rather have my foot immobolized for a few months to just see if it heals on its own. I can't worry about it now.

So as long as I can't get any cardio workouts in, I'll just start working hard on the weights. I think as of tomorrow I will start a 2day split, upper/lower, and go from there. May as well bufferize my bod.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2013, 04:21 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 150.7
  • Blood Ketones - 104
  • Urine Ketones - not tracking
  • FBG - 95
  • Macros - didn't track

Probably time to track some calories again for a few days, make sure I'm not overeating and have my macros in line. I think my fat consumption has been down a bit. Carbs probably up a tiny amount, but seriously they've only been from salads/veggies/nuts, nothing else. This miniscule drop in weight is absurb. I truly think I'm at the point where some calorie restriction is needed, at least a few days a week.

I should start seeing my activity level increase, I was able to walk farther yesterday as the cortisone shot kicks in (a full week...ouch). I really want to start putting more effort into weight training though and work on my muscles. If my bodyfat measurement from my Aria scale is even close to right I'm just under 100 lbs of lean, and that number needs to be higher.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I'm interested to read your account of your experiences so thank you for writing them up.

Ouch on waiting for the full effect of the cortisone shot to manifest.

It would be so useful if you can get your LBM higher because it gives you so many more options and much greater flexibility with your eating. (I'm still not yet to terms with learning that at 127lbs I've <77lbs LBM and approx. 50lbs of body fat which is horrible in so many ways.)

Peter Attia's latest post at the Eating Academy
How to make a fat cell less not thin: the lessons of fat flux
is a very technical explanation of why people in NK who aren't losing the weight that they expect may need to reduce their fat intake if they have their protein and carb levels at the correct level. Rather a dispiriting read in some ways but a useful discussion.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

When I was younger I always did a lot of weight training, starting at about age 20, but never trained super hard or anything, just had nice firmness to my muscles. The past few years have brought on a few more issues, joint pains, muscle pains (possibly a mild fibromyalgia issue.) And with a neck injury a few years back, weight workouts have gone by the wayside. And I've probably dropped a good 5-8 lbs of muscle.

Goal is to keep working on it, get it up a bit, and hopefully keep it up, just a few pounds of muscle.

Slowsure, I read your account of your bodpod measurement and will admit I find it a bit shocking myself. At the same time, it's over and done, you have a number, and you can just set a goal for it to not get lower and hopefully add a little muscle. We can only do what we can do.

I did buy my new set of dumbbells, up to 20lbs for single arm rows. I have a nice set now from 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, and now 20's. I have a great bench, and I use my TRX too.

Of course did I do anything today.....no. I vacuumed.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Peter Attia's latest post at the Eating Academy
How to make a fat cell less not thin: the lessons of fat flux
is a very technical explanation of why people in NK who aren't losing the weight that they expect may need to reduce their fat intake if they have their protein and carb levels at the correct level. Rather a dispiriting read in some ways but a useful discussion.
I will go read this, thanks. Isn't he just the cutest thing, and smart too.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 159.9
  • Blood Ketones - Lo (huh?)
  • FBG - 79 (totally awesome)
  • Calories eaten - 1450
  • Calories burned - 2000
  • Fat - 125g
  • Protein - 67
  • Carbs - 21 (7 fiber) 14 net

Ate at a decent deficit yesterday, I really want to see the scale show a little movement again. I'll keep up the 500 cal deficit (if I can) for a few days. My daily burn is a bit lower than normal right now, ~200 cals lower.

No rhyme or reason why blood ketones read at low. Maybe it's just an occasional meter fluke. Seriously, with a lower than normal FBG and perfect macros, it should be higher.

Whatever.....I will start the last package of blood ketone strips tomorrow, so 10 more days. Think that's it. I do like tracking it, but it's not worth the money. I don't think I've really learned anything.

I'm doing fat and low protein for breakfast today as a bit of an experiment. I don't think I'll be able to go all day without food, but we'll see what happens. Tonight's dinner has a little bit of carbs in it, salmon patties which I know use some bread crumbs (wheat) in the recipe. Goal for today is no carbs except for those in the salmon patty and a small salad tonight.

Just lack of bulk in my stomach/gut today will probably show a scale loss tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, that's an excellent FBG, congratulations.

I'm still not seeing a consistency in people's results that makes any of this at all predictable. I've no sense as to whether it's women who are consistently unpredictable or if this is true of chaps as well.

I've been trying to identify a local centre with a decent weight room. You're inspiring me.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 149.5 (yesterday's was obviously typed wrong)
  • Blood Ketones - 1.0
  • FBG - 76 (totally awesome again)
  • Calories eaten - 1490
  • Calories burned - 1990
  • Fat - 141g, 83%
  • Protein - 40g, 11%
  • Carbs - 24 (2 fiber) 22g net, 6%

Did a breakfast experiment, coffee with 1TCO and 3T HWC, 1t butter, and 4 egg yolks in 2t butter. I wasn't feeling the need to eat till around 12:30 PM, usually I feel it by 11. My head starts to get a bit weird.

Then I ate cheese, and when I got home at 2 my head needed fueling (not my stomach) and I had coffee with oil, hwc again, but then I still felt weird and had broth with MCT oil.

Honestly it just makes you feel weird, not satisfied. Food makes one feel satisfied. I think I'll just stick to food, but try to keep my calories under 1500 right now to help me drop some weight. Then I'll take a few days off from tracking, and track again a few days next week.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

not expecting tomorrow morning to be a pretty picture. Had a good day yet ate too much and then had a couple (cough cough) gin and tonics (diet tonic of course.)

It does feel good to let loose though.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 149.5
  • Blood Ketones - Lo (expected
  • FBG - 88

I expected the Lo ketone reading. Didn't eat regular carbs, just overate so I ate more carbs (plus booze).

I'm very wishy washy. The moment I say "diet" I overeat. If I say to clean, I make dirty. I refuse to use a shopping list. And tracking calories...ugh.

Yesterday I said I need to buckle down for a few days, now I want to relax a bit. I'm going to relax. I'm going to eat low carb, but allow a bit more of what I want. I want to go out and eat this weekend, and I want to experiment and make some low-carb treats.

I think I'm feeling less fat. Heck, I'm a 50 year old woman in a size 10. No one is going to look at me and be grossed out, seriously. I feel fine in my jeans and top, or my work clothes. I do want to get back down to a size 6, but that will hopefully happen with time.

So now I'm going to relax, enjoy variety in my low carb foods, and see what happens.

Of course, if the scale starts to climb, I'll have to change things up again. I'm not planning on a pig out or something. Just a little more variety, and larger salads.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's quite something when your idea of decadence in food approximates to eating salad (or that might just be me).

I feel it's so wise when people listen to their bodies' polite request for more variety. Whatever we're doing, it has to be livable and allow a social life otherwise, what's the point of looking/feeling fantastic, IYSWIM.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

I agree, more salad IS kind of funny.

And I enjoyed a lovely salad with a tin of sardines (in olive oil). Just dumped the who tin on the salad and added some vinegar, salt and pepper. I had some sliced onions and red peppers too.

Breakfast was a change from eggs also. I had full fat yogurt, fresh blue berries and sunflower seeds.

Right now I'm experimenting in the kitchen with a low-carb cheesecake. Something I've never really done. I hope it turns out edible.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/222/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I just made a LC lemon cheesecake recently and it was hands down the best cheesecake I've ever made. Hope your turns out good.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I just made a LC lemon cheesecake recently and it was hands down the best cheesecake I've ever made. Hope your turns out good.
Ooh yummy, can you direct me to the recipe?

Mine was pretty darn good too. I need to work on perfecting it though. I think I will make cheesecakes become my summer obsession. I do need to get some new springform pans though.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 150.1
  • Blood Ketones - Lo (expected)
  • FBG - 94

Didn't track macros. In fact I ate more food yesterday, more carbs, but nothing extreme. Yogurt/berries for breakfast, and my lowcarb cheesecake. That's it honestly. Protein was moderate, protein at lunch and at dinner, normal quantities. No extra added fats, just what was in my foods/dressings.

My weight drops when I restrict calories, and I think it's general across the board for me. Just dropping carbs doesn't do it, or eating less protein. Funny thing is, I've always lost weight well dieting, that's a fact. I do WW, I lose weight, I count calories, I lose weight. But I don't want to count, just knowing I can or can't eat something is much easier.

I'm not going to worry about it for a few days. It's the weekend and I will use it to let my mind rest. I make it sound like I'm going on some binge or something, absolutely not. I will continue to eat low carb, but without the stress of perfect macros. I'll enjoy the yogurt and berries (something I know isn't my best food already, but it's a pleasant change from eggs,and I have no eggs.) Or maybe I'll make some flaxseed pancakes, now that sounds nice. I'd also like to go out to eat, that's something I miss doing on the weekends with my husband.

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend, filled with good nutritious foods that make you feel good physically and mentally.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I got it from a blog that is called alldayidreamaboutfood. Carolyn is a food genius.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Cfine, I found the blog and the recipe and it's printed out. Can't wait to try it. She has some nice recipes to try on that blog. Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Here we go, another week of results. As you can see my average weight has decrease by 0.7 lbs (even though I show an increase in weight.) I've chosen to eat more these past few days, and the weight in my body shows.

My carbs are up, exactly how much I don't know. This is what I ate yesterday and the associated carbs:

Breakfast - flaxseed pancake (2.5 T ground flaxseed), egg, sourcream, 1 t Splenda, cream/coffee

Lunch - Mexico Alambre (at a restaurant) which is meat (lots) some veggies/oil, pico de gallo, 2 tortilla chips

Snack - Low Carb Cheesecake (cream cheese, ricotta, egg, artificial sweetners of spenda and erythritol)

Dinner - Cauliflower rice, Thai chicken in coconut milk sauce with basil (some brocolli and onions)

So.....yes, you can see my obvious carbs in the flax, 2 chips, and artificial sweetner, onions. My guess is still no more than 30, 35 max....yet I don't show nutritional ketosis yet again.

I do know I'm sensitive to sugar alcohols (erythritol) but the quantity isn't that big.

I do know my stomach and head are happier eating a larger quantity of food, and I plan on sticking with it this week and maybe the loss will just continue from here. I really enjoy having extra flax and nuts, things like that which help with the bowel movements (not today yet, tmi I know, but they do weigh something....lol.)

Also I thought about it, just because I'm reading low in the AM doesn't mean I'm not showing later in the day, so I might take a reading this afternoon or before bed, just to see what kind of number I get.

Everyone's body wants to work a certain way, and if I'm feeling better a certain way, it seems it should be better for me.

BTW, check out that drop in waist measurement, 1.5" for the week. Unless I had major error, that is tremendous. No clue why my hips would be larger though, that must be just some error. A personal goal is to have my waist under 30".

12 weeks of results

Start Weight - 165.2
Today's Avg Wt - 150.2
Average Loss - 15 lbs

Waist - 2 inches lost in 4 weeks (didn't track prior)
Old 07-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Your results are impressive, both scale and other measurements such as your waist.

That's a tiny amount of carbs in the overall scheme of things. I don't understand why it so regularly seems to knock women out of nutritional ketosis, particularly when their protein is modest and overall calorie intake is within bounds. I increasingly wonder if there's a gender/age difference as well as something that reflects muscle mass.

All of which is a negligible consideration next to your success while following your programme. Well persevered.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Yes, it is so nice to see numbers go down, even if they are moving slowly...they ARE going down, and I'm not hungry or binging.

So, I just had the most MARVELOUS light bulb moment. I've been thinking all day about this whole ketosis thing, and decided I DO need to work harder and hence purchased 2 months of new blood ketone stix.

Then I purchased the Atkins 1972 book off of ebay.

One of my issues is that my husband does most all the dinner cooking and though that's wonderful and he does a good job at making what is "on plan" it isn't necessarily always exactly what I want and I have to work around things. Plus I know he thinks I'm totally annoying at times.

So....I'm going to tell him I will do all the dinner cooking for a full two weeks, he doesn't need to plan or anything. I will start this a week from now as he's already planned the menu for this week and done all the shopping (sick man, I know...lol.)

But then I can totally control the meals and make them 100% induction friendly. I can make some extra carbs for my son, and if my husband chooses to eat some that's fine too. He's been eating lower carbs than normal, but he won't go all the way with it.

I think my plan is terrific. I can't wait to see his reaction later.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gonna start trying harder, as of today.

So I guess last week was my "break" week. I didn't show much in the way of blood ketones, my weight went up a bit, and my fasting blood sugar has crept up. Today I was at 97. I absolutely do not want to be in the upper 90's as it's too close to the hundreds. And it goes up based on my food...total bummer.

The half cheesecake in the fridge will go in the trash. Goodies will have to be only an occasional treat later on, that and the extra artificial sweetners in tea are all that I've added, as far as I believe. I'll have to think about it.

I'm going to eat as close to induction as I can for most of this week, without killing myself over it. Next week I'll hit it hard. One of the reasons I don't want to stress this week is that my husband and I are going out on Friday night to a fancy hotel and I want to enjoy some wine and dinner out (Casino buffet, easy to control food there.)
  • Weight - 151
  • FBS - 97
  • tested nothing else

Husband was fine with the idea of me controlling meals, though I could see the shocked panic look on his face. When I said I want to do a perfect induction again he said, "I thought we did that." I almost wanted to choke,he never did that, and mine was far from perfect. I told him about "creep" and that I need to clear out my system again, and get back in control. He thinks I'm a nutcase.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:24 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Unless somebody is following this WOE for themselves, it's almost incomprehensible to grasp the substantial difference that chucking a bit of sugar into a sauce to mellow out the over-acid tomato will make - all of the tiny adjustments that cooks make without thinking about it.

By and large, people have no idea about the carbs in dairy, eggs, various vegetables and therefore find thinking about all of this to be almost completely alien.

Good luck for the week.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

I'm working on an experiment this afternoon because the yummy low-carb cheesecake that I still had in the fridge, thinking I was just going to dump, really tastes very very good. So I decided to eat it instead and track my blood glucose.

Now that's a great excuse for eating if I ever came up with one.

So I started with a baseline number and am tracking every 20 min, until a number doesn't increase. I'm using a meter I don't really like and I have lots of the sticks so it's no biggie. Of course now the numbers are seeming quite consistent.

I'll post results later this afternoon. For now I will knit and watch Fringe.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I could never throw a perfectly good LC cheesecake away either.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:16 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

CFine....thanks! It was quite tasty. Problem was, I should have eaten half the quantity. But now it's at least gone.

My portion was about 500+ calories and 10 g of carbs (from creamcheese and ricotta.)

Experimented started with my blood glucose at 83, during the next hour it raised to 99, during the following hour it stayed the same (95-102), 4.5 hour later it was still at 99.

So it never dropped back down, but it never got very high.

I gave up and ate my dinner at that point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No weight loss numbers for yesterday.
  • Weight - 151.3
  • FBG - 90
  • No other tracking

I'm definitely in a very grey zone right now. Still low carb, but darn sure out of NK. I still have stinky pee and my mouth is major yucky come morning. I don't have urine stix but I'm sure they would turn. I probably will pick some up again today, they are cheap and it's interesting to see them work.

Plan for today, try harder.....that's it.....try harder. I'm at that point where it's difficult to go all the way back to induction. It's nice to enjoy the small treats, and those treats add up.

At the same time, I think that is exactly how I will be able to maintain later on. I'm maintaining very nicely right now, so I'm obviously eating enough calories/carbs for my body to be happy. I physically feel better at this more relaxed low carb place, but I really would like to lose 15-20 lbs first.

I can't help but think if I hit it really hard I could be done in 4 months with the worst of the dieting part, but my mind isn't wrapped around that concept yet.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JillyBean
Stats: 155.8/150.8/120
WOE: Atkins/Protein Power
Start Date: 7/29/13
Hi! I'm enjoying this thread, so I thought I'd come out of the shadows. I especially relate to the husband not getting it. Mine is trying to be supportive, but I've done some crazy things and he looks at all my new attempts as "just another crazy scheme that will fizzle out in a couple weeks". You have no idea how much I want to prove him wrong this time. (Or maybe you do...)

I'm pretty new here and still trying to figure out all kinds of things - my food and this forum - so if I'm off-base, I hope someone will let me know.

So, here goes my second day. The first day seemed to go well. I have ketostix, but they are not blood ketostix as I heard mentioned here. Are those better? Or are they only necessary for diabetics? I am not diabetic, although I believe I will be if I don't keep away from the sugar. I think I read the best time to test is in the evening, but not until 48 hours into the diet. I might just have to take a peek tonight... Thanks for listening/reading.
JillyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

JillyBean, if you want to learn about Nutritional Ketosis, check out that board. Trust me, those blood ketone sticks are expensive and probably not necessary. I kind of get geeky about technology though, and anything that is new or motivating, I have to try.

Glad you came out from lurking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did go buy ketostix (urine ones) and I've been drink all afternoon (no...not booze) and they did show "small" urine ketones. I guess some people easily show urine ketones.

Maybe I'll test blood ketones tomorrow, I probably shouldn't yet though.

My order of new strips has shipped, and they are for the Precision Xtra meter that doesn't show "lo" for a low number, but the actual number. It will be interesting. I have 5 of the Novamax ones left.

I'm starving right now but eats have been good today, and dinner will be good, and I'm doing my darndest to get back on track 100%.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:49 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

• Weight - 151.7
  • FBG - 96
  • Urine ketones - small

It gets a bit scary to see the weight numbers go up. But I just put on my slacks and they are really baggy today, so I think a whoosh might be in order. Will stick to the plan today, and keep carbs as low as possible. I'm not tracking anything, just trying to get back into ketosis.

Probably will keep dinner light as I get a root canal treatment this afternoon. Scary.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:55 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Empathy - I have 2 root canals that need treatment. I hope this afternoon goes OK for you.

This unmoving scale but loss of inches phenomenon is unsettling but it does indicate that something useful is happening.

Good luck for later today.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:13 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Slowsure, the root canal went great. The crown is scheduled for in 2 weeks. I had the foot ultrasound just yesterday and am curious to see what the doctor says come Tuesday.

Weight is edging back down with me being back on track.
  • Weight - 150.1
  • FBG - 89
  • Urine ketones - small
  • Blood ketones - lo

I guess what I'm really learning is that this doesn't just happen over night, and to keep plugging away.

Tonight we're going to a fancy hotel for one night, and dinner plans are already the Casino buffet where I can at least pick and choose my food. I don't have any worries about eating carbs, I can stick to salad, meat, shrimp, and I just have to not overeat, but I will eat more than normal. Since I won't be home in the morning, I'll just skip tracking and Sunday is my weekly finale already, with my averages and measurements. I'm not feeling too confident for the week, but I am happy that I've turned the boat around.

Next week I plan on hitting it hard, doing Atkins Induction 100% again, along with tracking which I've been slacking on. I can suck it up and track like a fiend for 2 full weeks.