Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Journals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/)
-   -   i love your eyes, especially with ketchup (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/807469-i-love-your-eyes-especially-ketchup.html)

alassea 07-05-2013 05:58 PM

i love your eyes, especially with ketchup

I finally decided to start a journal :jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

I already have a hand written food journal that I update on a daily basis but I may still post my daily menus here as well. I will also include recipes that I currently use and also some that I just haven't gotten around to trying yet. at least I will have my recipes in one place. most of the recipes were found right here on LCF thru the years.

my goal is to come here every day and post. feel free to drop in and say hi, but it's ok if you don't because I don't mind talking to myself. I find myself very amusing and entertaining.

I also have lots of pictures on my computer (thank you pinterest!) so hopefully I can figure out how to include pictures.

i'll be back!:cool:

alassea 07-06-2013 03:27 AM

ok so today will be a busy day because once a week I like to go "treasure hunting" at goodwill. I have to take two buses to get to this particular store but it's located in a more upscale town so they get a lot of higher-end brand names. sometimes they can be a bit pricey but it's worth it.

I don't have a car at this time so i'm lucky that as limited as our local bus service is, it gets me to where I need to go (it stops running by 7pm! and no service on sundays).

my short term goal are to fit comfortably into a pair of size 18 levi jeans. by comfortably , I mean that I have to be able to button & zip them AND be able to sit down and breathe (also continue to have blood circulate in my legs!). right now I can button & zip them in a standing position only, at least I don't have to lay down on the bed with a pair of pliers to pull the zipper up.

after I reach that goal, I have a pair of size 16 jeans. I used to be able to fit into both pairs of these jeans with in the past couple of years but life got in the way and stuff happened. right now I mostly wear yoga pants ( thank you , danskin).

my meals today will be :
b: iced coffee w/ sf davinci syrup and hwc
l: who has time to eat when they're shopping! get your priorities straight!!!
d: linda sue's broccoli quiche, some bacon and a lovely ripe avocado

Abigale 07-06-2013 04:07 AM

alassea, I too am trying to fit back into some jeans that used fit just fine and now are very uncomfortable to sit in or even stand in. Wishing you luck on your journey and have fun at goodwill today!

alassea 07-06-2013 05:06 AM

hi abigale, thanks for stopping by. I have to say I have very good luck finding stuff at goodwill. but it can be "feast or famine". I have two tote bags and once I fill those two bags....that's it, i'm done shopping. sometimes I have to decide what stays and what comes home with me....decisions, decisions, decisions!

alassea 07-06-2013 02:04 PM

ok, first of all I decided to have my avocado this morning, before my trip to goodwill. i have to take two buses to get to the goodwill so i left at 9am and didn't get back home until almost 3:30pm. i'm glad now that i ate the avocado because that really held me over until i got home. i also brought a 16 oz bottle of water (shopping is hard work and i get thirsty).

i made linda sue's broccoli quiche yesterday (my first attempt at a quiche) . it was an easy recipe ( to me an easy recipe has 4 or 5 ingredients and 3 or 4 steps and requires no special equipment). i'm not a very adventurous cook but at least i haven't poisoned or killed anybody, or myself, with my cooking.

as soon as i got home, i had the quiche. i couldn't wait for any bacon to cook but tomorrow i will be home all day so i can plan my meals better. everything's better with bacon! :heart:

following is linda sue's recipe from her website :

BROCCOLI QUICHE
10 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and well drained
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
2 ounces onion, chopped, about 1/3 cup
6 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
Dash pepper

Spray a large glass pie plate. Put the broccoli, onion and cheese in the bottom of the plate. Beat the eggs, then whisk in the cream, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over the cheese. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 379 Calories; 32g Fat; 18g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

alassea 07-06-2013 02:39 PM

ok, so here's what i got at goodwill today:

a piece of decorative pottery (native american inspired design)
a small decorative plate (native american inspired design)
a muffin tin (for 6 large muffins)
a metal cake pan (sorry, no cake!)
a pyrex baking bowl
a monocular , with an additional lense and case
a utility bag/purse that can be worn cross-body, durable and rugged
3 scarves, 1 is all sparkly sequins, 1 is a burn-out design and the last one
has sparkly thread running thru it
a broomstick skirt
a fall/winter top in a smaller size (yes, i'm shopping for the colder weather)
a pair of workout pants in a smaller size ( for when i lose more weight)
a cone of yarn
a power strip (you can never have enough outlets!)

all in all it was a good day!

i also bought another copy of DANDR because i gave my copy (also bought at goodwill) to a friend of mine . i told her i had lost 15 lbs. and she asked how. rather than trying to explain low carb, i just gave my book to read!:jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

alassea 07-06-2013 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by ladyboss7
Bunny's pudding recipes!

Warm Chocolate Pudding
Put 2 eggs in a blender, add 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 3 splenda, 2 tbsp. cocoa and blend. Meanwhile, put 2 tbsp. EVCO in bowl and nuke for 1 minute. Add to egg mixture and blend again for a minute. Transfer to mug/small bowl and nuke for abou 30 seconds, just enough to warm. It is incredible; thick, creamy, warm, just like homemade chocolate pudding right off the stove but better. It's the EVCO that does the trick.
note: some people thought that 2 tbspcocoa was too much and some people also adjusted the sweetner to their liking.

i tweeked this recipe for the supplies i had on hand. i used 2 large eggs, two pumps of sugar free davinci's syrup and 2 tbsp. of coconut oil. then i followed the directions as written.

this is one of those recipes where you are gonna have to experiment to get a flavor and consistency that you like.

the way that i made it, it reminded me more of a custard because i didn't have cocoa.

hopefully this is the link to the thread. the thread has more suggestions and variations including a stove top version.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...good-true.html

alassea 07-06-2013 06:37 PM

i know i have been retaining water the last few days because of the heat and humidity...i have a ring that only fits comfortably on the middle finger of my left hand and for the past 3 days that ring didn't want to go on with out a fight (and some spit):sick:

so i tried my ring on tonite and it went on without a struggle so hopefully that's a good sign!

alassea 07-06-2013 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
random picture!

alassea 07-07-2013 06:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i' m doing good..... i figured out how to attach pictures and i figured out how to put the link to my journal in my signature!

here's another random picture

alassea 07-07-2013 06:57 AM

i did not make the bracelet in the above post, it's one of my inspiration/idea photos for the beadwork that i do.

i will try to take pictures of the cuff bracelet that i made (my first attempt) and post them.

i love the colors used in the above bracelet and also the use of the different sized beads

GailyGail 07-07-2013 07:21 AM

Wow, you did really well at Goodwill. That is an awesome haul. Thank you for the broccoli quiche recipe -- I think I might make that this week!

Kismet311 07-07-2013 07:26 AM

Your thread title killed me so I had to click on it :rofl: Way to go on your shopping trip!

alassea 07-07-2013 07:33 AM

i love jewelry.....bracelets, rings, earrings, necklaces, but i want something that no one else has. and i don't really care for dainty delicate stuff because i feel that it just gets lost on me and doesn't stand out. i love big bold jewelry that makes a statement.

so what happens when you can't find it or when you do find it, you can't afford it? you learn to make your own jewelry!

earrings are pretty simple because one size fits all, it doesn't matter how much you weigh, they're still gonna fit!

but bracelets are another story! i have a large wrist, it measures 8 " around and that's just at where the wrist bends . if i want to buy a wider cuff bracelet then i have to find something that's 8+" to get it comfortably on my wrist.

I've known how to do most of the basic bead stitches for 10+ years but it wasn't until i took a bead class that taught how to do a beaded bezel on a cabochon that a whole world of possibilities opened up.

once i learned how to do the bezels, i was lucky enough to win some auctions on ebay where someone was selling 20 to 40 cabochons in each auction. i think i won about 3 different auctions and wound up with about 60 assorted stones.

but I've used this particular beading technique on seashells and even a prosthetic eye (i made a pendant out of the eye....i get mixed reactions to it, some people get creeped out by it, but little kids seem really drawn to it).

just about anything that can be glued down can be used to create jewelry.

alassea 07-07-2013 07:52 AM

today for breakfast it's the usual....iced coffee with sf davinci syrup with hwc. this usually keeps me satisfied until about noon time.

i still have linda sue's broccoli quiche in the fridge so i'll have that lunch and a couple of pieces of bacon.

when i finish lunch , i start drinking my 34 oz bottle of water. i'm lucky to get in that much water every day. i know i should be drinking more.

not sure what's for dinner, either more quiche and maybe a salad with homemade blue cheese dressing. i'll be experimenting with the blue cheese so wish me luck.

or maybe something else with eggs, i usually eat my biggest meal at lunch then a smaller dinner.

I've noticed that the timing of my meals just naturally falls into an 8 hour period (between noon-8pm) .

so far it's about 75 degrees here but it's supposed to get up to 85. one good thing about the heat, it kills my appetite.

alassea 07-07-2013 08:39 AM

Drinking water at the correct time maximizes its effectiveness on the human body. The hotter the temperatures climb this month, the more we must stay hydrated. Drink plenty of pure water at the right time of the day:
2 glasses of water after waking every morning helps activate the internal organs;
1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal helps digestion;
1 glass of water before taking a bath can lower blood pressure;
1 glass of water before going to bed can prevent stroke or heart attack.

i make a real effort get more water into my meal plan. at this point , i usually start drinking my water after i eat lunch (i sip on my coffee most of the morning and it really lasts).

i am going to have make the effort to drink water when i wake up before i start drinking my coffee. i usually am drinking water right up until i go to bed.

and because i drink water right up until i go to bed, i get my nightly exercise by getting up 2 or 3 times a nite to pee.:laugh:

alassea 07-07-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GailyGail (Post 16503466)
Wow, you did really well at Goodwill. That is an awesome haul. Thank you for the broccoli quiche recipe -- I think I might make that this week!

hi gail, i definitely got the bargain-hunting gene from my mom, she could find anything and everything at goodwill.

i try to get to goodwill at least once a week, weather permitting.

linda sue has some of the yummiest recipes and easy enough for me understand and make with my limited kitchen stuff.

alassea 07-07-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kismet311 (Post 16503474)
Your thread title killed me so I had to click on it :rofl: Way to go on your shopping trip!

i came across that phrase using a "random saying generator" and it just stuck in my mind all these years.

alassea 07-07-2013 09:09 AM

ok, back to the timing of water intake.....

one book i happened to pick up in my travels is "fit for life" by harvey and marilyn diamond.

one of their recommendations is to wait an hour after eating before drinking your water (or other beverage) so as not to dilute the process of your food being digested in your stomach.

i'm going to see if i can find any other info about this from another source.

lunch time! broccoli quiche with a side of bacon!

alassea 07-07-2013 10:26 AM

i wanted to say that the quiche tasted even better today because all the flavors have had a chance to meld.

also this is a great cold meal to have on a hot day.

alassea 07-08-2013 02:52 PM

yesterday i finished my 1 liter bottle of water by early afternoon so i started a second bottle. i didn't finish it but i drank about 2/3 of it:clap:

and this morning i drank 8 oz of water before i had my morning coffee.

b: 8 oz water & iced coffee with sf davinci syrup & hwc
l: the last of linda sue's broccoli quiche & sausage patties
s: 1 liter water
d: something eggy & bacony
s: 8 oz water at bedtime

alassea 07-08-2013 03:13 PM

i need to go grocery shopping either tomorrow or Wednesday so i have to decide what i want to make that will last for 3-4 days. i'm thinking about making another quiche because it keeps so well in the fridge and doesn't need to be heated up. i'll also get extra eggs so i can make egg salad, and some angel hair cabbage so i can make cabbage & bacon. if i'm lucky avocados will still be 99 cents each.

i'm lucky that i don't feel the need to have something different everyday for my meals. before starting low-carb i would just make a big pot of soup or chili or spaghetti sauce that would last for days.

i was checking out more of linda sue's recipes on her site, i'm thinking of trying this recipe next:

CHEESY HAMBURGER & BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup onion, chopped, 1 1/4 ounces
4 ounce can mushrooms, drained
16 ounces frozen broccoli
Salt and pepper, to taste

Sauce:
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise

Brown the ground beef, onion and mushrooms in a medium skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Drain the fat. Meanwhile, put the frozen broccoli in a 2 1/2-3 quart casserole with a lid. Add 2 tablespoons water, cover and microwave on HIGH about 6-8 minutes, stirring every couple minutes until tender crisp. Drain the broccoli; stir in ground beef mixture. In a 4-cup glass measure place all of the sauce ingredients, microwave on HIGH about 2 1/2 minutes, or until melted and smooth, stirring every minute. Add to the broccoli mixture and mix well; adjust the seasoning to taste. Bake at 350 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.

Makes 4-6 servings

Per 1/4 Recipe: 760 Calories; 65g Fat; 37g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 Recipe: 506 Calories; 43g Fat; 25g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

i also want to recommend linda sue's recipe for whitecastle hamburger pie:heart:

alassea 07-08-2013 03:57 PM

my first short term goal is to fit into my old pair of levi's , size 18. i can get them on and button and zip them but there is now way i can sit down in them , i can't breathe and i can feel the circulation being cut off in my legs. these jeans have a lower rise so they sit just under the belly button, i like the style and fit of these jeans ( when they actually fit me!:mad:) . it has been a never-ending search to find "the" pair of jeans that will fit and make me look good.

here's a good tip, buy a full length mirror! go to walmart and buy the cheapest one they have if you have to , but just buy one.

for the longest time i didn't own one. i figured if my pants buttoned up and my shirt would cover any potential butt-crack, i was good to go out in public. there you are....thinking you look pretty dang good then you suddenly catch sight of someone in the store plate glass window and you think to yourself "look at that poor woman, did she get dressed in the dark and then get hit with an ugly stick on her way out the door"? then you realize, much to your own horror that you're looking at yourself!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

needless to say, i very quickly got back in my car, went home and changed! and the next day i went to walmart and bought one of those cheap full length mirrors. heaven knows how many many other times i went out the door looking like that.

remember, just because it fits doesn't mean you should wear it.

ok back to jeans. i have a pair of size 20 jc penny jeans that are a different cut than my levi's. they have spandex in them ( i:heart:spandex) so i can button&zip but they are tight, but i can sit in them because of the spandex ( so no numb legs). and because they're snug :lol: they do force me sit up straight, so that's good for my posture, right? and they also remind me (constantly) not to overindulge because i'll need the jaws of life to get out of these jeans. i think i would be very embarrassed to have to call 911 and have all those hunky firefighters show up all decked out in their gear because the zipper and button are now deeply imbedded in my flesh and my lips are turning blue. hopefully i'm wearing clean underwear.

alassea 07-08-2013 04:19 PM

chia seed pudding

serves 2
1 cups unsweetened almond milk
3 pitted dates or sweetener of choice, to taste
teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2-2 Tablespoons raw cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder (if making chocolate pudding), depending on how chocolaty you like it
cup chia seeds

Place almond milk, dates, vanilla and cacao in blender and process until dates are pulverized. A Vitamix does a great job with this. If your blender leaves the dates too chunky, you can strain the mixture before adding it to the chia seeds.
Pour chia seeds into a medium container and add almond milk mixture. Stir immediately to combine otherwise you may end up with blobs of chia seeds. Allow to sit on countertop and stir every 5 minutes. After 15 minutes, it should have thickened.
Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. I usually do this the night before. Stays in the fridge for as long as your almond milk would. Fun to add toppings like fresh fruit, coconut or chopped nuts.

I just saw this recipe in a post by Librarygirl in the JUDDD forum. I wouldn't be using dates to sweeten it, i'd be using sf davinci syrup.

it would be good as a dessert as well as helping to get some fiber in. there are other threads about chia seed recipes in the recipe section as well as threads about the benefits of chia seeds.

alassea 07-09-2013 05:20 AM

and speaking about chia seeds as a fiber, here's a recipe that was posted by oncloud9now2 for a fiber muffin:

Dobie Muffins

1 cup flax meal( ground)
1/2 cup protein powder
1/2 cup baking Splenda
2 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. salt subst.

4 Tables. oil
2 eggs
3 teas. banana extract(or any flavor)
1 cup water

Mix dry ingredients. Stir in wet ingredients and let stand about 5 min. to thicken. Spoon into 12 muffin tins that have been sprayed with Pam. (No papers.) Bake 20 to 30 min. at 350 degrees or till browning.

her recipe is for the oven and makes a dozen muffins but if you need one muffin at a time because you live alone (that's me) or you have a problem with portion control (that has been me at times as well), or you just really want a muffin right now not in 20 minutes then the One Minute Muffin (OMM) also known as Muffin In A Minute (MIM) that's made in the microwave might be an alternative.

this is the recipe I use for OMM:

One Minute Muffin

1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp splenda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1-2 tsp butter

mix all the dry ingredients in a coffee mug. add the egg and butter. microwave for 50 sec to 1 minute. it will pop right out of the coffee mug.

I like to make a cream cheese frosting for this by softening up some cream cheese in the microwave and then adding some sf davinci syrup.

and remember if you're gonna be eating fiber DRINK YOUR WATER!

alassea 07-09-2013 05:41 AM

in regards to the recipe for the OMM, I have used the basic recipe without the sweetner & cinnamon as a pizza crust by adding Italian spices & parmesan cheese. rather than using a mug you'll need a plate and parchment paper. do not omit the parchment paper! spread the batter on the parchment paper, try to get it as consistantly thin and spread-out as you can(it took me a couple of tries to get it right). you will have to peel the parchment paper of the bottom of the crust. at this point I would put the crust into a cake pan and put it into the oven at 350 to "crisp it up" a bit and dry up any moist spots.

once you got your crust crisped up, keep it in the cake pan (which is now your pizza pan!) and add your pizza sauce, cheese and toppings and put it back in the oven until your cheese is all melt-y and gooey.

there you have your own personal sized pizza, with a crust, that you can pick up and eat.

I make this with pizza sauce, cheese & pepperoni.

let's face it....it's not pizza dough, is it.....but if your toppings are flavorful and yummy you really don't notice , and after a while of making it this way, you become used to the new taste.

alassea 07-09-2013 06:06 AM

I am down one pound this morning but I bounced up 3 lbs a couple of days ago so this is one pound off my bounce-up. I refuse to adjust my weight upward and i'll just wait for the other 2 lbs to bugger off!

today I got up and had my 8 oz glass of water (i'm doing my best to try to get in more water) and now i'm drinking my iced coffee with sf davinci syrup and hwc. if I get hungry, I have a nice ripe avocado that will hold me over til lunch.

i'm going grocery shopping today and I haven't decided what I want to get for today's lunch. i'll be making another quiche but that will be ready for tomorrow by the time I get around to cooking it.

alassea 07-09-2013 06:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here's another beautiful piece of beadwork (I did not make this, it's from my inspiration file), I love the colors in this piece.

alassea 07-09-2013 12:14 PM

after including that chia seed pudding in a post up above I decided to make some last nite.

I just used unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a scoop of syntrax orange flavor protein powder (bought it at netrition). I put those two things in the blender and then transferred it to mug. I added 3 tbs of chia seeds and stirred off and on for about 15 minutes to make sure the seeds didn't clump down at the bottom. then I just stuck it in the fridge , letting it gel overnite.

when I got back from grocery shopping, I tried it, it tastes ok but I made some whipped cream (hwc w/ sf davinci in the blender) to go on top cuz every thing tastes better with fresh whipped cream. for my tastes, I need to experiment with more flavors.

the pudding will probably never look visually appealing, most people describe the chia seed (when they have gelled in liquid) as looking like frog's eyes or fish eggs (yum, yum).

so that was lunch.....orange flavored fish eggs with whipped cream:hyst:

but at least I got some fiber in and now i'm drinking my liter of water.

I bought the ingredients to make another quiche so that will be my lunch or dinner for at least the next three days. I also have bacon and sausages to go with it.

I also want to experiment with making blue cheese dressing. if I make something edible, i'll include it here.

alassea 07-09-2013 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's another piece from my inspiration file (I did not make this), love the colors on this one too!