LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: missmarple
Stats: (272)257/238/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: July 2, 2013
missmarple's journal

well, here i go, starting low carb, am a bit anxious wondering if the weight will come off. Over the past 2 months I have gone from 272 to 256, eating low fat. counting calories. for 2 weeks I have not lost a pound but have been eating 800 calories a day. feeling discouraged, i pigged out...sigh...but I am so tired of this, fighting being overweight for so many yrs of my life and always failing. Now I am 63 and the weight is affecting my health, i cant walk to the store, my b/p is high, my feet hurt, i am tired of it.
So in the morning I am going to the store and getting proper food. not bread. I have heard of low carb eating, and read some things on it, so I am feeling hopeful right now. tomorrow, july 2, will be my first day on low carb eating. my weight is 256. I am only 5'2 so I am round...and I really must lose close to a hundred pounds.
missmarple is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

well my first day, today, went very well. I was happy to eat enough protein to feel satisfied. I am never going back to low fat calorie counting...even though I did lose some weight on that.
I didnt count carbs today because all I ate was meat, eggs, mushrooms, cucumber and salad. I drank a lot of water too.
tomorrow I will be eating more vegetables. am reading "Protein Power" book. and am going to be checking out recipes on this forum so I can try other things.
I feel pretty good tonight.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

this morning I weighed and am down 2 lbs. From what i have heard, the first few days on this way of eating you can lose a few pounds each day but that doesnt continue. I know I willl have to keep at this for quite some time. I will have to stick to it even when weight doesnt come off as fast as I want. In fact I am realising as some have said, this isnt just to stay on to lose some weight then go back to old ways, its a new way of life. So I need to get my mind to that place where I know this is my new life, not just for a time but forever. I dont want to lose it just to put it all back on. anyway, I feel confident right now, and I like what I am eating.
this morning I fried in my wok some celery, bean sprouts, mushrooms and bacon, then in another pan I fried an egg, and then threw the egg on top of it all on my plate. wasnt sure this was gonna work out but it actually tasted pretty good.
and i am not hungry now. am remembering to drink water. amazing how I could go so long before without drinking water.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zogo
Stats: 193/156/145
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 6/20/11
Welcome to the forums and this "Way of Eating". I don't call it a diet because it is my way of eating for life. I have done enough research to know that this is the healthiest way to eat for many, many reasons. Hang in there through the first 4 days or so and you will stop feeling cravings and get a burst of energy, sleep better and not feel hungry.

Lean on the people here and ask questions. You will do great, I'm sure.
zogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

thankyou so much for your reply! I am craving bread, but will not give in. I need to lose the weight so badly I just cant give in no matter what.
for supper I will be having leftover turkey meatloaf with salad. I am finding if I make a meal plan ahead of time, its easier than reaching suppertime and opening the fridge and not knowing what to eat, its easier if I already have a plan and get veggies and so on prepped ahead. I believe I will succeed!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/130.4/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Just wanted to say HI and I love your name LOL Good luck !
Kismet311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

thankyou!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharbysyd
WOE: Just Starting - no plan yet
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmarple View Post
well, here i go, starting low carb, am a bit anxious wondering if the weight will come off. Over the past 2 months I have gone from 272 to 256, eating low fat. counting calories. for 2 weeks I have not lost a pound but have been eating 800 calories a day. feeling discouraged, i pigged out...sigh...but I am so tired of this, fighting being overweight for so many yrs of my life and always failing. Now I am 63 and the weight is affecting my health, i cant walk to the store, my b/p is high, my feet hurt, i am tired of it.
So in the morning I am going to the store and getting proper food. not bread. I have heard of low carb eating, and read some things on it, so I am feeling hopeful right now. tomorrow, july 2, will be my first day on low carb eating. my weight is 256. I am only 5'2 so I am round...and I really must lose close to a hundred pounds.
I understand where you are coming from since I've had the same issue with my feet and have been up to a similar weight as yours with my high being 241 at 5'4". It's not fun to get up and feel that foot pain and not be able to walk. I think at least in part it's due to inflammation. After reading The Anti-Inflammation Zone, I started taking a high dose of fish oil and it really helped my foot pain and other joint pain. So you might want to read up on inflammation and try eating more anti-inflammatory foods and less inflammatory ones. Soybean oil is inflammatory and is in many foods like mayo and salad dressings.

I still get some foot pain but it's nowhere near what it used to be. I believe the more I get into low carb and get the weight down it will be better but I'm glad to at least have some relief.

You have to be careful with fish oil because a lot of it is contaminated so you have to get a purified one. You could also try eating a lot more fish like sardines and salmon. They both have fish oil in them.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon. Low carb has been a Godsend to me.

Sharon
Sharbysyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharbysyd
WOE: Just Starting - no plan yet
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
thankyou so much for your reply! I am craving bread, but will not give in. I need to lose the weight so badly I just cant give in no matter what.
for supper I will be having leftover turkey meatloaf with salad. I am finding if I make a meal plan ahead of time, its easier than reaching suppertime and opening the fridge and not knowing what to eat, its easier if I already have a plan and get veggies and so on prepped ahead. I believe I will succeed!
I was one of the biggest bread lovers out there and once I started doing low carb, I reached the point where I could be around bread and it doesn't bother me. I even went to dinner at Olive Garden one day a few weeks ago and didn't have any bread. Before I used to think the only thing worth going for was the breadsticks and the salad. I did tell the waiter to take them away so I wouldn't have to see them but I honestly didn't miss them at all and just ate lots of salad with ranch dressing on it and my meal.

It's incredible how you can be free from the cravings for carbs once you get away from them. I'd recommend reading lots of low carb books and trying to make as many recipes for bread substitutes as you can. One bread recipe that I like is here: Low Carb Keto Steak and Cheese Sandwich Recipe | sinorslim.com The bread is intended for a steak and cheese sandwich and it works quite well for that but I have also made ham sandwiches with it and we've also eaten it dipped in infused olive oil. It's really good.

I've also made bread from almond flour and my husband likes it a lot but I haven't found one that I really like yet. But there are tons of recipes out there so just keep trying until you hit on one that you like.

I recently discovered a recipe here in the forum for pumpkin pancakes made with eggs and I add some coconut flour to them and they are so good, almost just like real pancakes. I'm thinking of trying that recipe without sweetener to make bread pancakes.

I wish you a lot of luck on your journey.

Sharon
Sharbysyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

thankyou so much for sharing all the information, I appreciate all the help very much.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

today was another good day. for breakfast I had leftover meatloaf as I ran out the door for an appointment. for lunch I finished off the meatloaf along with some sliced tomato and cucumber. later on I had a small salad with salmon. for dinner I had chicken "stew" full of vegetables. I am not hungry tonight.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: joytotheworld
Stats: 259/245/139
Start Date: 4/22/13
Just wanted to stop by and say hi! That is AMAZING that you were able to lose over 15 lbs on a low-fat diet! Talk about self control! I started low carb about 2 months ago and is the best thing I've ever done! Losing weight and lowering bp and cholesterol while eating bacon is a dream come true. Best wishes on your journey!
joytotheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:36 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alassea
WOE: kiss atkins
congratulations on winning the 5 pound challenge! I think you get to start the new thread for the next 5 pound challenge #120 because you won!
alassea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

oh, OKAY i didnt know I was supposed to do anything! thanks for telling me.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

thanks, joytotheworld, for stopping by.
I am so happy on this woe I dont know why I didnt do this sooner. course I may still be in the honeymoon phase, its only day 5 for me, but I feel great, I enjoy what I am eating, and I am not hungry. I no longer miss bread. and ya, being able to eat bacon and eggs and lose weight, is wonderful.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

soon I will be in the 240's...yayyyy! I havent seen the 240s in like forever.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

oh wow. yesterday I bought a can of coke but had second thoughts and gave it away. whew.
i am not going down that road.
and i guess my reward is another pound off this morning. I have to stop and pinch myself. have I really lost 7 lbs since tuesday? yup. I know it will slow down at some point but for now it is very encouraging.
on low fat counting calories I agonized over every pound lost and it took forever and I was starving.
anyway I am happy this morning. I can do this!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

one of my excuses for not doing this sooner was the belief that low carb eating is too expensive. buying all that meat and all those fresh veggies and salad greens.
but what I am finding is that I spent a lot more buying cookies, pop, potato chips, bread, etc etc...even when I went low fat eating i was still spending a fair amount on what I now consider junk food. I have all the protein I need for this month now in the fridge, freezer, or canned. the only things I will need before the month is out, is a few more fresh veggies and salad greens. I havent really added it all up but it is possible to eat this way and still be economical about it. I havent bought expensive steaks but I am eating very well.
so I will keep doing this. This IS my new way of life.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey MissMarple, way to go on the loss so far. Yes, the loss will definitely slow after awhile, but don't let it discourage you. Slow and steady wins the race.

As for the budget, you might just find that b/c you are less hungry, and that meat, cheese, eggs, nuts, veggies and healthy fat fill you up, that you actually are full for less money than the junk.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

thanks zogo!
yes I am less hungry, its amazing. on carbs I could stuff myself and want to eat more an hour later. now i feel satisfied.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: joytotheworld
Stats: 259/245/139
Start Date: 4/22/13
How's low carb life going?? You're officially on to your second week right??
joytotheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

hi missmarple, i'm on the 5 lb challenge with you. how are things going?
Old 07-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

for a few days now I have been off plan. not eating a lot of junk but just not totally behaving...so much was going on, had company, went out for dinner, etc etc...i gained a few pounds back so right now am 252...but am getting back on plan now and so hopefully will get below 250 soon...I was 272 about 3 mths ago so I guess all I have really lost is 20 lbs but its better than nothing.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

for getting back on plan!

you and i are at approx. the same weight. i'll race you to 249.9
Old 07-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

well I have been off plan all this time. I am 255 now. my b/p is so high the doctor is worried and so am I. new meds made me sick and i have been sleeping a lot and feeling ill.
so in the morning, I will try again. I just have to get more weight off.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Low carb helps to lower blood pressure and will give you more energy once you get into ketosis. It's all good, if you can stick with it.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

thankyou, I am back on plan, am 252 now. have added exercise. the last 4 days I have walked a mile every day and that is getting easier as I get used to it. I want to join the Y so I can swim and do other things as well so I will check into that.
I think I will start writing down everything I eat, starting today, and the time I eat it, so I can keep track of carbs and protein. I spent so many years eating mindlessly, nonstop...I am finding that the evening hours, when I am most lonely and bored, are when I want to start munching and that is my worst time, the time when I will cheat if anything bad is in the house. so I got rid of everything, even my most fav stuff I gave away...lol.
i didnt use to be fat. but many yrs ago, about 20 or so yrs ago, I quit drinking as that was a big problem for me. I replaced drinking alcohol, with eating. when I wanted comfort, trying to ease my emotional pain and loneliness, I just started eating stuff, esp pizza, chips, pop and donuts. i went right up to 272. I still have the same emotional pain and loneliness. I live alone and have no friends.
but i have to realise that eating wont heal my pain. alcohol didnt heal it, and food didnt either.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

hi miss marple

good for you for walking! i wish i could do that but both my knees are at the point that i need two total knee replacements.

i live alone too so at least i can control what food comes into my apartment but there are vending machines in the lobby, one with soda/water/juice and the other is filled with junk food/crap

drop in and visit me over in my journal, just click on the link in my signature
Old 08-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

alassea, thanks for chatting with me. sorry about your knees.
there is a product I am taking for arthritis. I had it in my knees and feet, so badly I couldnt walk without crying. now I can walk without pain. Bell Lifestyle Products, online or in health food stores. i take their product called shark cartilege. other brand names didnt work at all for me but this one did. the "testimonies" on the website, many people say they were going to have knee replacement and now dont have to. its expensive but for me, really worth it enabling me to walk again.
this morning I am 251! yay! will I get into the 240's? or will I bounce back up? I better behave...lol...

breakfast today was one egg 2 strips bacon. havent planned out the rest of the day yet but am thinking of baked fish filets with steamed broccoli,cauliflower,carrot mix, yummm.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
alassea, thanks for chatting with me. sorry about your knees.
there is a product I am taking for arthritis. I had it in my knees and feet, so badly I couldnt walk without crying. now I can walk without pain. Bell Lifestyle Products, online or in health food stores. i take their product called shark cartilege. other brand names didnt work at all for me but this one did. the "testimonies" on the website, many people say they were going to have knee replacement and now dont have to. its expensive but for me, really worth it enabling me to walk again.
this morning I am 251! yay! will I get into the 240's? or will I bounce back up? I better behave...lol...

breakfast today was one egg 2 strips bacon. havent planned out the rest of the day yet but am thinking of baked fish filets with steamed broccoli,cauliflower,carrot mix, yummm.
hi miss marple

i'm afraid my knees are past the "supplement-stage" of things. according to my x-rays, my knees are bone-on-bone. before they got as bad as they are now, I used to take MSM (supplement) and that helped reduce the pain, that was about 5 years ago.

i'm glad that you found something that worked for your arthritis I think one of the best things to do to help alleviate pain in our weight-bearing joints/knees it to lose weight.

did you get down to 249 yet? I still haven't gotten my new battery for my scale. i'm going shopping tomorrow morning and I will get one then.....it's been over a week since I last weighed myself my jeans don't feel any looser but they don't feel any tighter either

drop in any time to visit at my journal

Don't reward yourself with food, you're not a dog. (seen on Pinterest)