Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #61
Blabbermouth!!!
 
DesertGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,337
Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Great job, Sherrie! Good luck with weigh-in
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!
 
onceNforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,106
Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post
Can I jump in here? (I'm new here so I've been jumping around).

I will be testing my own iron will for the first time in 2 months myself next week (or maybe my sister won't have made cookies. I know I won't be making them). But I know I can do it and I'm not even sure I want a nibble. It's a good test anyway since I haven't even been around any.

And on the water: We've never been bottled water people but there's no way I'd make it if I didn't constantly have a bottle on me. And so far, I've been making it for the most part. All these bottles are killing me, tho, because my husband is doing the same thing. We SWIM in them. Ugg. Must go back to the dispenser on the counter at some point and just keep filling up.
Marsha...good luck with the cookies! I caved but hopefully back on track! I buy bottled water, but then refill them from the tap! I also have a bottle with me too....even on my nightstand!
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!
 
onceNforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,106
Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Weigh-in today and down 6.5lb my first week! Still didn't get off one of those cookie pounds! Wow....this is a hard time of year to stick to a plan!
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!
 
Shantony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Guelph, ON
Posts: 1,466
Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 243/226/150 (5' 2")
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: Jan 1, 2014
Great job on the weightloss Sherrie!
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #65
Blabbermouth!!!
 
DesertGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,337
Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceNforall View Post
Weigh-in today and down 6.5lb my first week! Still didn't get off one of those cookie pounds! Wow....this is a hard time of year to stick to a plan!
So proud of you!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!
 
onceNforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,106
Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Well...see I haven't posted here in a couple of weeks. Boy, those Christmas cookies were just the beginning of a downward spiral (diet wise) and upward spiral (weight wise). Haven't been on the scale lately...which is always disastrous for me. Just gonna ramble here a bit....but need to get my thoughts down on paper.

I'm back in my "disgusted with myself and gotta get this weight off once and for all...better eat everything now that I'm not gonna be able to eat on my diet...have to finish off all these Christmas goodies before I can start" space. All this negative thinking isn't doing me any good and just reinforces my sense of failure....need an attitude adjustment big time.

Not sure which WOE I want to incorporate. They all work if I work the plan. Tired of counting points/carbs/calories/meals....you name it. Can't waste another minute though trying to decide on a plan....all have their pros and cons. I know one thing....have to eliminate sugar from my diet. It fuels my cravings and I can't deal with "just a taste", at least not at this point.

Gonna give it some more thought and will probably start out with baby steps. Know I am definitely eliminating sugar and aiming for 100oz water/day. I'm not willing to give up my fruit or my yogurt or my oatmeal. Guess that's a start! Want to incorporate a large salad each day too....hate to make them, but love to eat them!

Will weigh in Wednesday morning and weigh daily. Danielle...if you're reading this, I'm gonna steal your idea about the jar of marbles too...I'm a visual person and that idea really appeals to me to chart my progress. Guess my WOE will develop as I go along.

Think positively, Sherrie!!
__________________
SHERRIE....Just taking one day at a time

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:24 AM   #67
Senior LCF member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9,472
Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Hi Sherrie!

Please don't get down on yourself. I've been off the rails recently and need to get things under control, but I've learned from experience this only works withe a positive attitude. Try to think about what you're doing as not 'dieting' but 'self care.' After all, after a certain age, vanity isn't the issue; it's overall health.

Sugar is definitely an issue for me--and even artificial sweeteners can send me into a binge of overeating. Alas, for me that also includes fruit (which I love).

My view on this is that we have to develop a plan that works with our personal temperament. For example, I could never follow any plan that dictates what to eat exactly. I do a generic 'low carb' mainly because I know that I'm very sensitive to carbs, and I feel best eating this way. But I've also learned (from negative experiences) that I can't do the high fat that everyone seems to recommend. That, too, sends me off into overeating. I do best with low fat.

I'm NOT recommending any of this to you. My suggestion is only that you consider what seems to work best for you. Keep in mind that any WOE we adopt has to be manageable long term. Many years ago, one of my sisters (who was very, very obese) met a wonderful internist who was dedicated to helping her lose weight. He asked her what her favorite foods were, and then he devised a plan that included her pasta and chocolate chip cookies. She followed the plan and lost over 80 lbs to the lowest weight of her adult life.

You're experienced enough to do what that doctor did---i.e., devise a plan that includes your favorite things (if they are not triggers for you). You CAN do this!

Last edited by Leo41; 12-31-2013 at 05:25 AM..
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:10 AM   #68
Blabbermouth!!!
 
DesertGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,337
Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Hang in there You will figure it out and be on your way. Take bits and pieces of the things you know work for you and mesh them into a plan that will be liveable for you.

One thing I can say is, try working on changing your mental outlook. I know it's hard...boy, do I know. But, I can tell you, if you can change this part, even alittle bit your ability to stay on track gets easier. Celebrate every single tiny little promise you keep to yourself...make them super easy on purpose if you have to. Every day that you can sit back and see what you accomplished can begin to switch the little voice in your head from, "I can't to "I can, and I DID!"

If you love your salads, prep for them. Pick a couple days a week where you wash, cut, slice & dice all of your ingredients so that you have them when the mood hits. Great way to ensure that you're eating what's good for you

You got this, Sherrie! Onward and upward!
__________________
Danielle

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥



"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!
 
greengeeny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Brooklyn, Oh
Posts: 1,425
Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!
 
onceNforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,106
Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Hi Sherrie!

Please don't get down on yourself. I've been off the rails recently and need to get things under control, but I've learned from experience this only works withe a positive attitude. Try to think about what you're doing as not 'dieting' but 'self care.' After all, after a certain age, vanity isn't the issue; it's overall health.

Sugar is definitely an issue for me--and even artificial sweeteners can send me into a binge of overeating. Alas, for me that also includes fruit (which I love).

My view on this is that we have to develop a plan that works with our personal temperament. For example, I could never follow any plan that dictates what to eat exactly. I do a generic 'low carb' mainly because I know that I'm very sensitive to carbs, and I feel best eating this way. But I've also learned (from negative experiences) that I can't do the high fat that everyone seems to recommend. That, too, sends me off into overeating. I do best with low fat.

I'm NOT recommending any of this to you. My suggestion is only that you consider what seems to work best for you. Keep in mind that any WOE we adopt has to be manageable long term. Many years ago, one of my sisters (who was very, very obese) met a wonderful internist who was dedicated to helping her lose weight. He asked her what her favorite foods were, and then he devised a plan that included her pasta and chocolate chip cookies. She followed the plan and lost over 80 lbs to the lowest weight of her adult life.

You're experienced enough to do what that doctor did---i.e., devise a plan that includes your favorite things (if they are not triggers for you). You CAN do this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Hang in there You will figure it out and be on your way. Take bits and pieces of the things you know work for you and mesh them into a plan that will be liveable for you.

One thing I can say is, try working on changing your mental outlook. I know it's hard...boy, do I know. But, I can tell you, if you can change this part, even alittle bit your ability to stay on track gets easier. Celebrate every single tiny little promise you keep to yourself...make them super easy on purpose if you have to. Every day that you can sit back and see what you accomplished can begin to switch the little voice in your head from, "I can't to "I can, and I DID!"

If you love your salads, prep for them. Pick a couple days a week where you wash, cut, slice & dice all of your ingredients so that you have them when the mood hits. Great way to ensure that you're eating what's good for you

You got this, Sherrie! Onward and upward!
Thank you both for the encouraging words!!

You both are so right...need a positive attitude....have seen myself as a failure for way too long. Baby steps with promises to myself are a good idea, Danielle. It's very hard for me to take things just one step at a time...want to jump right from GO to FINISH!!

I know I need some guidelines to follow but don't do well with a plan that is so exact that if I vary a little I feel like I've "blown it". Just gonna start out with some healthy choices, lots of water and veggies and NO SUGAR! Think I will start the daily weigher thread also as I need some accountability and no matter how much I promise myself I will only weigh once/week...know that's not gonna happen!

Happy New Year to you both!! May it be a positive one for all of us!
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!
 
DesertGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,337
Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
If anything, do the pages in the front of Chris' book.. all the stuff about introspection & promises. I think you need to truly know & believe that YOU can do this. Working through these pages can help you learn how to believe.

Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary~ Chris Powell
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!
 
onceNforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,106
Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
If anything, do the pages in the front of Chris' book.. all the stuff about introspection & promises. I think you need to truly know & believe that YOU can do this. Working through these pages can help you learn how to believe.

Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary~ Chris Powell
Thanks Danielle...I will!
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:06 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!
 
onceNforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,106
Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
New Year...new beginning

I almost feel like I should be starting a new journal with the New Year!

Got on the scale this morning and have hit an all time (lifetime) high and 16.5lb heavier than I began 2013.

Changed my stats to reflect a new start, but not looking at it as another failure but the first step in a POSITIVE journey.

After reading Chris Powell's book, know that the key for me will be the emotional transformation...much work to do in that area. Have been bogged down with some issues since childhood in that direction and really want to work on those. Will be incorporating Chris's Power Promises in baby steps....hopefully will learn to believe in myself and realize that I deserve this success.

Will be starting out with these three...
1. Will drink 100 oz of water daily
2. Will look in the mirror and say something positive to/about myself daily
3. Will be accountable in the Daily Weigher Thread no matter what the scale shows.

Healthy Choices and a Positive Attitude for 2014
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:39 AM   #74
Blabbermouth!!!
 
DesertGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,337
Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Happy New Year, Sherrie!

The stuff in the beginning of the book sounds "silly" or "not that big a deal" to many, but to me it has been the difference between being happy & content on this journey vs. eating myself into a coma and being incredibly unhappy with my body/life. It's a learning process for sure, stuff that I still have to work on daily... but I am glad I have done the heavy lifting! You will be too!

Be honest and open with yourself and nobody has to be a part of that journey unless you want them to. For me, sharing with my husband all of my past insecurities and issues so that he understood what made me me, only served to bring us even closer. It's all about the total transformation that I am looking for, so this was a wonderful bonus for me.♥

Here's to 2014! I got a good feeling about this one!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:56 AM   #75
Senior LCF member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9,472
Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Happy New Year, Sherrie--and here's to a new YOU!

When I read your previous post about being impatient with baby steps and wanting to get to FINISH right away, I began to wonder whether that's been the central problem all along.

Let me explain that in other things in life, I'm exactly that way. For example, when I travel, I have no patience for the 'journey' and want to be at my destination ASAP. I know that in the past, I always lost 30-40 lbs and then got frustrated with the slow loss and just gradually ignored my eating and regained.

I suspect that I was successful this time because I had NO GOAL. At well over 300 lbs, the reason for trying to lose was that I was 'uncomfortable' in my body. Not only walking, but any movement was an effort. So my 'goal' was simply to get more comfortable. At the time, I assumed that I might get down to my usual weight, which was in the 260-70 range.

What made the difference was that without a real 'goal,' I didn't get impatient and gradually developed my WOE as a 'lifestyle' that remains with me even now. Rather than a 'diet' with a target ending, my focus was on making good choices for myself on a daily basis (health is important at my age:-)

I'm suggesting that perhaps you can re-frame your efforts so that you don't feel impatient with the process--and you try to develop a WOE that is satisfying to you so that you can maintain it long term.

Please don't think I'm preaching at you. This weight management thing is, IMO, 95% 'mental.' I got into a 'good place,' but I have absolutely no idea how that happened--and I strive to remain in that place. It's a constant challenge, Sherrie, but to me, it's worth the effort.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:09 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!
 
onceNforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,106
Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Happy New Year, Sherrie--and here's to a new YOU!

When I read your previous post about being impatient with baby steps and wanting to get to FINISH right away, I began to wonder whether that's been the central problem all along.

Let me explain that in other things in life, I'm exactly that way. For example, when I travel, I have no patience for the 'journey' and want to be at my destination ASAP. I know that in the past, I always lost 30-40 lbs and then got frustrated with the slow loss and just gradually ignored my eating and regained.

I suspect that I was successful this time because I had NO GOAL. At well over 300 lbs, the reason for trying to lose was that I was 'uncomfortable' in my body. Not only walking, but any movement was an effort. So my 'goal' was simply to get more comfortable. At the time, I assumed that I might get down to my usual weight, which was in the 260-70 range.

What made the difference was that without a real 'goal,' I didn't get impatient and gradually developed my WOE as a 'lifestyle' that remains with me even now. Rather than a 'diet' with a target ending, my focus was on making good choices for myself on a daily basis (health is important at my age:-)

I'm suggesting that perhaps you can re-frame your efforts so that you don't feel impatient with the process--and you try to develop a WOE that is satisfying to you so that you can maintain it long term.

Please don't think I'm preaching at you. This weight management thing is, IMO, 95% 'mental.' I got into a 'good place,' but I have absolutely no idea how that happened--and I strive to remain in that place. It's a constant challenge, Sherrie, but to me, it's worth the effort.
Thanks, Leo for your words of wisdom....always appreciated. I truly believe we have followed much of the same path...but I want your ending! That has been my pattern all my life....a successful weight loss, but never approaching goal weight and eventually returning to old eating patterns. Years and years of this have certainly ingrained in me (along with my mother's help....another story) that I was a failure.

This time it is all about my health and as you put it...feeling comfortable in my own body. Everything has become such an effort...getting up off the couch, grocery shopping, even putting on my socks...and of course this knee compounds everything. With every pound I lose, I am saying....there's 4 less pounds of pressure on my poor knees!

Can't stop now....will continue to chip away at it til the day I die....and that's what I'm afraid of. Need a happy ending this time.
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:28 AM   #77
Senior LCF member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9,472
Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You can do this, Sherrie!

I was about your age when I finally 'got it' after a lifetime of morbid obesity, so don't be discouraged.

Just take it a day at a time and focus on staying on plan rather than the number on the scale. One reason I weigh only weekly is that I'm too emotionally affected by the scale number (even now) and often make poor choices in 'reaction' to that number.

Don't try to restrict too much. That leads to feelings of deprivation that ultimately defeat you.

If I can recommend ONE small book, it would be "Beating Overeating" by Gillian Riley. She's British and does weight-loss seminars in the UK. This isn't a 'diet book' but more about the 'mental' attitudes we need for weight management, and it really resonated with me. In my experience, 95% of this is 'mental,' and that's an area we often ignore.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:37 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!
 
onceNforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,106
Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Have set one of the daily promises to myself as looking in the mirror and saying something positive to/about me. Very enlightening to see how difficult that really is! WOW Even when I do, it is surprising to see how hard it is to really mean it...down deep. I have so much work to do in this area.

Set my DVR to watch "My 600lb Life" that starts next week and it recorded 4 or 5 past episodes in the last couple of days. I think I found this program at an opportune time. If you're not familiar with it, it follows a 600+lb person from before gastric bypass surgery through the next 7 years. I think the most amazing part in watching that, was I identified so much even though I am presently half that weight. I feel like I am in a 600lb body, struggling with every movement.

When the person had lost down to the 300lb mark, I was amazed how morbidly obese they still looked. That has been some of my problem. I have carried my weight my entire life pretty evenly distributed and was a pretty "solid" fat if that makes any sense. No one could ever believe I weighed as much as I did. With age, and inactivity due to my knees, that solid fat has turned into just jello-y FLAB! I know...TMI and not a pretty picture. I always had a midriff bulge, but my rolls seem to have multiplied and even have creases on my thighs. I have no longer been able to look in the mirror and picture myself as "not that bad". All of a sudden I am seeing the real me and it is both disgusting and frightening.

I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and start thinking about my weight and work myself into a real anxiety attack....feeling so out of control and doubting whether I will ever be able to find a solution. I have so much work to do...but am determined to do it. I know it will take baby steps and it won't be a straight downward path. I just want to be comfortable in my own skin for once in my life.

Wow...really spilling my guts out here...but guess that's what a journal is for.
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:51 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!
 
onceNforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,106
Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
You can do this, Sherrie!

I was about your age when I finally 'got it' after a lifetime of morbid obesity, so don't be discouraged.

Just take it a day at a time and focus on staying on plan rather than the number on the scale. One reason I weigh only weekly is that I'm too emotionally affected by the scale number (even now) and often make poor choices in 'reaction' to that number.

Don't try to restrict too much. That leads to feelings of deprivation that ultimately defeat you.

If I can recommend ONE small book, it would be "Beating Overeating" by Gillian Riley. She's British and does weight-loss seminars in the UK. This isn't a 'diet book' but more about the 'mental' attitudes we need for weight management, and it really resonated with me. In my experience, 95% of this is 'mental,' and that's an area we often ignore.
Leo...just saw this after I had posted this last entry of mine. Yes, for me also this is definitely 95% mental...and emotional. It's not the food that's the problem but the way I use it as a drug to soothe, comfort, repress, stuff, hide, disguise, my true emotions. It becomes so uncomfortable when I have to experience those feelings without my drug of choice. Lots of work to do on a couple major issues and getting down to the nitty gritty of what's really going on.

I will definitely read that book.

I am not really concentrating too much on the food this time. That's why I'm not trying to follow any particular WOE. Rather trying to identify true hunger from head hunger and more about behavior modification. I don't want to be so focused on food.
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!
 
onceNforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,106
Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

If I can recommend ONE small book, it would be "Beating Overeating" by Gillian Riley. She's British and does weight-loss seminars in the UK. This isn't a 'diet book' but more about the 'mental' attitudes we need for weight management, and it really resonated with me. In my experience, 95% of this is 'mental,' and that's an area we often ignore.
This book has now been rewritten 1/13 and is titled "Ditching Diets" for any who are trying to find it....took me a while.
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!
 
DesertGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,337
Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
I can really identify with your feelings..

It's so hard to separate the idea of loving yourself/body at this size and the "hate" that seems to always bubble up at the same time.. I struggled with this my entire life. Bob Harper wrote about the need to "love yourself" before any real long term success could be had with weight loss...I always thought I had "conquered" it... Well, it wasn't until years later, did I truly begin to understand what self-love was and how incredibly important it is to leading a productive life, not just weight loss, but for everything. I love my body as it is, but I've been able to separate things finally, to acknowledge that I'm in a pursuit to change things if for anything, just my health.

You CAN do this, hon. It's hard, but then, you've already proved that you're not afraid of hard... one foot in front of the other and just keep plugging away. It will all add up, and before you know it, you've strung together several months of clean eating and movement.

I've always said that losing weight is 99% mental. We'll get there. We'll beat this. We'll see goal! LOVE what you see in the mirror and acknowledge all the awesome things that make you YOU!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!
 
onceNforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,106
Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
I can really identify with your feelings..

It's so hard to separate the idea of loving yourself/body at this size and the "hate" that seems to always bubble up at the same time.. I struggled with this my entire life. Bob Harper wrote about the need to "love yourself" before any real long term success could be had with weight loss...I always thought I had "conquered" it... Well, it wasn't until years later, did I truly begin to understand what self-love was and how incredibly important it is to leading a productive life, not just weight loss, but for everything. I love my body as it is, but I've been able to separate things finally, to acknowledge that I'm in a pursuit to change things if for anything, just my health.

You CAN do this, hon. It's hard, but then, you've already proved that you're not afraid of hard... one foot in front of the other and just keep plugging away. It will all add up, and before you know it, you've strung together several months of clean eating and movement.

I've always said that losing weight is 99% mental. We'll get there. We'll beat this. We'll see goal! LOVE what you see in the mirror and acknowledge all the awesome things that make you YOU!
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #83
Blabbermouth!!!
 
DesertGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,337
Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
How are things going, Sherrie?
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!
 
onceNforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,106
Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
How are things going, Sherrie?
It's never a good sign when I disappear....especially from my own journal! Weekends are always so rough...we always go out to eat and although my choices haven't been bad this weekend, they have been very salty so I'm up some from my lowest so far. Dang that salt! Doesn't help that I made the most delicious ham and bean soup ever and have been eating it for three days straight now...it's my favorite. Time to throw the rest in the freezer for another day...DH will be glad to see that. He can't eat the same thing day after day like I can.

Time to bite the bullet (LC of course) and pay attention to what I'm eating. Need to watch not only the sugar, but think I need to give up wheat too. I am such a bread lover....especially a nice crusty Italian bread with my bean soup. I'm hopeless.

So cleaned out my refrigerator today and grocery shopping tomorrow to stock up on lots of fresh fruits and veggies and some lean protein. Have been getting all of my water in.

Hope all is going well with you...have to catch up with being off the computer for a couple of days. Thanks for checking up on me!
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #85
Blabbermouth!!!
 
DesertGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,337
Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Eating out is tough...especially when it's frequently. I had to put my foot down and tell DH that the eating out just wasn't worth it to me if we were gonna be going all the time... so now, we go out on Friday's for my reward day and maybe do a lunch once a week--if that. Friday I can relax and eat what I want and have zero guilt, and lunches I get a salad from somewhere and know that I'm staying on track with the dieting..

Going GF will certainly help with cravings for not only bread, but even sugar.

Everything's great on my end, just plugging along!

Hang in there, girl, you can do this!!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!
 
onceNforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,106
Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Yes, Danielle, eating out is rough and I seem to do more than my share. I also take my grandkids out to dinner every Tuesday night...just kind of our thing...but I am happy with a salad then.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Well, guess the WHOOSH fairy made a visit after all that water I've been drinking...even WITH the bean/ham soup! Got on the scale this morning and down 3lb from yesterday! I have so been craving salty things all weekend and actually am supposed to be watching my salt intake. Sometimes I think my cravings for salt are even great than those for sugar!

Does anyone know if Ezekiel products are allowed on wheat free?

I'm in that January mood of "cleaning out and organizing". I need to attack the pantry today and get rid of anything that may be tempting me....like that half a bag of chocolate chips that's been calling my name! Once that bag is open those little devils have a way of sneaking out and popping up in the palm of my hand....amazing!

Crazy weather here...it was 45 when I went to bed last night and tonight it's gonna be down to zero with a high in the single digits tomorrow. And they wonder why everyone has the flu!

Well, need to get up from my desk and get going...have to hit the grocery store today and take my mom some things too. It's amazing how a loss on that dang scale can brighten one's day!
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #87
Blabbermouth!!!
 
DesertGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,337
Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
YES!!! Congrat's!!

Lately I've been craving salty too... I was checking on my food log and apparently I am way down on sodium...who knew! I thought for sure I was taking in more than enough, but I guess not..

Mmmmm I love chocolate chips Seriously, memories from childhood...my mom was always munching on those outta the bag so that meant the rest of us girls got to too Good idea to get rid of those, I'm not sure I'd be able to stay out of them either!

Stay safe with the crazy weather!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!
 
onceNforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,106
Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Down another pound this morning.

I'm really pleased the way this "not following any particular WOE" is going. It removes all the guilt and shame when I do eat something that wouldn't normally be "on the plan". Those feelings of guilt and shame have led to a lot of my overeating in the past. I am truly trying to stop and think when I get the urge to eat something and asking myself if I'm truly hungry or just bored or "out of habit". This is especially true at night. That is my prime time for munching on one thing after another while watching TV.

I am slowly incorporating healthy choices into my diet, but yet not feeling deprived cause certain foods are off limits. Would love to go "wheat free" but will be happy if I can just cut out the bread and pasta products. Really for the most part staying away from the sugar but enjoying my fruits.

I have also for the most part been eating just 3 meals/day and sometimes a snack (fruit or SF jello/pudding) at night. I found when I was trying to eat 5Xday I was constantly thinking about food. I find eating when I'm truly hungry works out to usually be three main meals.

Just feeling my way as I go here and seeing what works and what doesn't. I know at some point I will need to become more strict as the weight loss slows. Still sticking to my 3 original promises and feeling good about that, although still a struggle to look in the mirror and not have a negative thought pop up before I get that positive one out!

Cold (-3) here this morning but did a crock pot of apple/cinnamon steel cut oats before I went to bed last night and it hit the spot!
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #89
Blabbermouth!!!
 
DesertGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,337
Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Sounds like things are working out!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #90
Major LCF Poster!
 
onceNforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,106
Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Sounds like things are working out!
The second week is always the test for me... Still in the honeymoon stage, but have to realize that in order to lose the pounds I have to lose, I need to stick with it for more than a couple of weeks! That seems like a simple concept to understand...why is it so hard for me?
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.