Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ninagrrl
Stats: 230/221/160
WOE: no grain/low carb
Start Date: June 17th, 2013
Ninagrrl's Journey to taking control. (Pregnant, Obese and Diabetic at 30)

I'm 30, turing 31, 14 weeks pregnant, girlfriend, mother of a special needs child, overweight, have diabetes 2 and was just put on a low carb diet. I take 2.5 mgs of Glyburide 2 x daily. My pre-pregnancy weight was 225lbs and now I weigh 230lbs. My goal until I have my child is to keep my weight under 240lbs or possibly lower while eating healthy. I think that I might actually be able to safely get just under my pre-pregnancy weight before the baby is born. After, my goal is to get down to 160lbs, my ideal weight for my frame and height. I have no set amount of time to get this low as long as I continue to fight this disease and learn to take care of myself so that I can be healthy and raise my two children this way as well. I know it's possible since my mother controlled her diabetes and started eating better and went from nearly 300lbs to 175lbs. I am on day 6 of eating lean proteins, veggies and dairy. No fruits or grains for this diet until I can get my A1C under 7 (8.6 a week ago). Then I will only add the lower and healthier carbs in portion controlled amounts. My first goal has already been reached: to get my blood sugar level down under 120 from mid 200's.

I will write more and will post pictures as well. Not sure how often I will update but I thought this was a good place to document as well as vent my frustration as I go through this journey.
ninagrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

So on my walk today it finally dawned on me that there has been a major change in my life since I started my diet. I have not eaten a single grain in 6 days and my IBS and gastric dumping syndrome is completely gone. I now have normal bowel movements and no more painful gas and bloating. Pretty sure I am gluten intolerant. I guess that is more motivation to stick to my diet and now I just need to come to terms with not being able to regularly eat some of my favorite foods. It's time that I come up with healthier favorite foods and only have a few of those others every once in a while. Sure, I'll probably check into a few gluten free choices once I get my diet and A1C under control, but most options are fairly expensive so it'll take a while to educate myself on how to make these things myself.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Have gotten a lot of useful links, now all I need to do is sit down and do some research. I'm going to take is slow and make meal plans for the first week of July and go from there. I'm also going to start doing some pregnancy yoga a couple times a week and see how it feels. Every Monday is scale day, and I realize that I might gain a few pounds in the first week or two from developing muscle. The big weigh in will be at the end of July. I'm sure I will see some results by then. I also plan on buying a measuring tape and starting off on some base measurements which I plan on taking every to every other week, we'll see how that goes. I'm thinking of getting a pedometer so I can keep track of how far I'm walking and go a little farther with time.

I'm feeling positive and motivated. This isn't the first time I've tried to diet and exercise right, but it's the first time that I feel like I will succeed and change my life for the better. Last summer I quit smoking around several smokers in my life and got through that.... I can do this!
Old 06-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BellaRose
Congrats..

On the new baby and taking
charge of your diet for a healthier
you and baby, plus will help you
in taking care of your first child.

Good Luck!
BellaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaRose View Post
On the new baby and taking
charge of your diet for a healthier
you and baby, plus will help you
in taking care of your first child.

Good Luck!
Thank you. This message board has been great motivation as well as a source of all kinds of great information. Writing this journal should help keep me going. I don't feel so alone in my journey.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I'm looking forward to gardening next year. This year I still plan on getting started a little bit by getting a couple topsey turvies and starting some cucumbers. Also plan on doing lettuce, dill and chives. I was so worried that some things I wouldn't be able to do because I'm a renter so I didn't want to do much in case I had to move. So I researched movable gardens. I can make garden's in plastic totes with drainage holes punched into the bottom!!!! That way no matter where I go, I can grow my gardens. Next year I plan on doing onion, peppers, tomatoes and even more spices. Each year I'll add a couple new things and just let it grow. I'm so excited!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

So I had a doctors appointment today. I weighed myself on my scale just before so I know that my scale is accurate. I have lost 4 lbs since my last appointment after only a week on my diet. Not sure if this is just because I'm not bloated with gas anymore from the gluten intolerance or if it's real weight or a combo of both. Probably the later. My next appointment is on July 3rd so we'll see.

My blood sugars have been going up again the last couple of days but she said that my diet is great except for the hamburger. I guess since it's not a lean meat, she didn't approve but oh well, I can't indulge with carbs anymore and it was more satisfying then anything else I've eaten since starting my diet. The hamburger was bunless with cheese, sour cream and salsa. I ate it with steamed asparagus. Everything else was turkey, chicken, eggs, vegetables and cheese with low carb plain greek yogurt once a day as my only treat. She said that other then that I'm doing great, just need to up my dose of Glyburide.

I've been on 2.5 mgs 2xdaily and now I'm going to double up with 5mgs 2xdaily. Since my blood sugar has been up I have been tired and irritable but at least I know that it's nothing I did to cause it. It has just leveled out but hopefully this is my last med adjustment. My goal is Fasting around 95 and my 2 hour ones below 120. I need to work on not eating too close to bed and leaving at least 3 hours of no eating so my BS will drop before bed. Digestion slows down and your blood sugar doesn't drop much at all while you sleep, which means you are affected by a too high blood sugar all night long.

I'm tired today, but trying not to nap, just go to bed early and hopefully start switching my schedule around. I'm changing so much in my life right now that just the amount of change lately has been stressful. New baby, new diet, finding out I can't eat anything with gluten anymore and that between the diabetes and gluten intolerance that I'm pretty much going to be grain free for the rest of my life unless I can get my diabetes in remission which I'm not even hoping for. If it happens, it happens.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

So I just tried my first recipe from this message board. "Jeb Sweet Induction Breakfast" totally hit the spot this morning. I used a cream cheese spread and milk instead of heavy cream but it still worked really well. It was sweet and fluffy and oh so good. Makes me look forward to trying more recipes! Also my fasting blood sugar was 98!!! Only 4 points to go to get to my goal fasting! I hope it sticks and my meds don't level out like they did last time.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Not too much to say on the diet front. I'm still eating low carb/no grain. I was so worried about what I was going to do to make my birthday enjoyable. I don't really get gifts anymore which is fine for me so it was usually about food. I have decided on pizza with low carb/gluten free crust and sauce and a low carb/gluten free cheese cake. I'm not going to worry too much about portion control for my birthday but at least it won't make my blood sugar spike too high and I can have second helpings without too much guilt. It is only once a year after all. As for the 4th of July, I'm going to have salad, some sort of grilled meat and for dessert, the traditional piece of watermelon. Everyone else will be eating smores roasted on the grill as we watch the local families set off their own private fireworks.

Another plus is that I weighed myself today and I have lost a total of 9 lbs bringing me to 221 from 230! It hasn't even been 2 weeks and I haven't started prenatal yoga yet so the only exercise I'm getting is from walking. That alone is a huge motivator.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Went swimming for a change today, first time this season. It felt really good even though the water was a bit cold (swimming hole water is pumped from a local creek). My stomach muscles are a little sore and I have a kink in my back but it'll get easier the more I go. I'm thinking of doing swimming on days that are too hot to go walking.

Now just waiting for my OH to get back from the store so I can make a pizza quiche! Yummy!

Tomorrow is weigh day. Hopefully my scale holds out, need to get new batteries for it.