LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
JUDDD ~ Life has its ups and downs!~

I need to make a fresh start in my search to find a healthy way of eating I can stick with for life. I have made brief attempts in the past to follow a couple of intermittent fasting type programs with no success. What I did NOT do was very much homework. I recognize the importance of reading the books, reading what successful people are doing, and making a plan. I'm trying to do it right this time.

I am facinated by the number of people who seem to be very successful over the longer haul with JUDDD. That is what I want too. I also am very impressed with the positive support in the JUDDD part of the forum. That is important to me too. One of the biggest things I miss about WW is the support both on-line and at meetings. I just couldn't make it work food wise.

So I am officially a JUDDD ! I have successfully completed one DD (yesterday) and one UD today.

I am intrigued by the "potato hackers" (I'm a bit late to that party LOL!). I liked what I was reading about the satiation factor. So I did my DD with potatoes only. I was surprised by how hungry I wasn't considering it was a 630 calorie day. I slept like a baby as well - a very nice bonus for a person who has difficulty staying asleep.

I may have actually felt more hunger today on my UD. However I was able to stay the course rather easily for a 1900 calorie day. I had 3 meals that were a balance of "healthy choice" low carb favorites and low fat favorites, LOL! It felt very freeing to make choices from both of those worlds.

NO SUGAR. I really need to stay away from sugar as I know it just makes everything harder. I also did not consume any gluten grains (or actually any grains) today. I know I'm best off that way too. My net carbs were in the 90's.

Tomorrow is a DD and I am planning to stick with potatoes once again. I'm hoping to bring my calories a little lower. My target is 500.

I had a HUGE WHOOSH after my first DD. Part of that was water from the previous days carbauchery. However I was astounded at the size of the whoosh. I'm mentally ready for the uptick tomorrow. It will be interesting to see where the needle lands. Well, the virtual needle since it's a digital scale LOL!

I really want to stick with this.

DG

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
DG-
That idea of the 1000 calorie spread is just one of the many 'myths' that have deveoped on the JUDDD board. When I began JUDDD, I knew that I had to keep my 'average' calories below 1,000 (DD/UD), and I used the calculator to identify my DD number--which was 430 cal. That's why I did 400/1400--it averaged to 900 cal a day.

At that time, Dr. J was answered questions on his site (which I now believe is not functioning that way). And I told him that I could not possibly lose with the UD calories listed for me, and he explained that the UD number is basically irrelevant. It's supposed to be 'maintenance' level for most people, but it's really impossible to know what that is. He said that the important number is the DD one, and that the UD can be adjusted to any level that works for the individual.

In the two years I did JUDDD faithfully, I found that was totally true for me. Keeping my DDs to the calculator number (first 430, then 370) was key. My UDs were always 1200-1400--and I usually gave myself one weekend day (Sat OR Sun) of no counting at all--but I always stayed low carb, which is essential for me.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Good luck DG!!! You are off to a great start. I hope you will love JUDDD as much as I do. I agree, the support you get on JUDDD forum is amazing. JUDDD has so many great health benefits too besides the weight loss.

I think it is smart that you will try to stay away from sugar and grains. I have issues with binging and honey is one food that I had a trouble with. While is healthy sugar, my body perceives it as sugar and sends me through massive binge. I love that I can eat lots of fruits and veggies on JUDDD without worrying about staying in ketosis. I still count my carbs and the max I have done is 90 net carbs on UD. My DD are usually lower carb.

Best of luck to you

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning! DD number two is under way. I have an interesting day ahead. I will be spending the afternoon observing staffing at my county's drug court as part of my internship. I've been to the court to observe courtroom proceedings and I've also been to a drug court graduation but the "behind the scenes" staffings are not open to the public so require an invite! How does that apply to my DD? I will be busy this afternoon during my most challenging time of the day on any eating plan (late afternoon). So I'm thankful that my schedule will be helping me today!

Leo - I thank you for sharing your experiences! I hope you will keep that information coming when you notice things that might help me. I appreciate you taking the time to do that! That is interesting what Dr. J. said about the UD number and here is why. Using the calculator, my UD number came about between 1800 and 2,000 calories depending on whether I use the "no exercise" or "1-3X/week exercise." Yesterday my UD cals fell right in between those two numbers. I ate in a clean way for me, but still felt quite a bit of hunger through the day. Not unmanageable, but very noticeable. More hunger than I might be able to tolerate over the long haul. The scale is DOWN again today from the DD low yesterday morning. Of course scale numbers fluctuate all over the place so this is not yet a trend by a long stretch. But on the scale, I dropped 6 pounds after a DD+UD. That suggests to me that I might need to eat more on UD. (although a good bit of that was water bloat, so will monitor over the next couple of rotations before deciding to change calories). Does that sound sensible based on what you learned from your experience and Dr. J?

My DD calories according to the calculator range from 361 at 20% of "no exercise" to 724 at 35% of "1-3 light exercise." So I'm targeting 460 today (pre-tracked) but will be OK going up a bit if I feel I need to. I guess my goal is to not lower calories any more than necessary to lose. Good strategy?

twobelowcarber - thank you for stopping by!! I appreciate all the moral support I am getting! I'm glad to hear your views on grains/sugars. I'm also glad to hear that you found a way to make JUDDD work when you have binge tendencies. Me too if I go near sugar.

Well - I'm going to get this day underway by heading to my garden and picking strawberries. YUM! They will be waiting for me in the fridge until UD tomorrow assuming I can get DH to leave me some LOL!

DG
Old 06-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
OH how exciting. Another JUDDD BUDDD! I JUDDD and hope you will too!

Today is my DD too! Hope it goes well for you!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks zipp2play! I came across your journal link yesterday in the JUDDD section and I can't wait to sit down and have a read. (possibly this evening to help me finish a successful DD2!!!!) I'm so excited to read more about your success. Thank you so much for stopping by my journal! I know the support will help me be successful too.

DD2 - so far so good! It's interesting to just "observe" hunger. It's come and gone this morning a number of times (and hasn't been intense). I need to build confidence that on this WOE (or any WOE, really) it might come, but it WILL go. And HUNGER IS NOT AN EMERGENCY!! I read that first in Beck's work. I've been reading some in that book lately too and I think Cognitive Behavior Therapy techniques definitely help.

I'm so HAPPY to be back in the 170's!!!!! I need to remember how good this feels when I think cookies are a good idea.

DG
Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohcmb
Stats: 205/191/160
Start Date: 2014 Restart
Good luck! I am far from a pro as I have only been playing with this for a couple weeks now but it does get easier. I have really gotten to know my body better and what my "hunger" means.
ohcmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

cmb - thanks for stopping by! May we both have tons of success with JUDDD!

I think I should record some stats here in my journal so when I hit the inevitable rough patch I can read back and remember why I'm doing this.

I'm really a daily weigher and as much as I have tried other things, I don't think my daily weighing habits will ever change. I know to watch trends not absolute numbers from day to day. So here goes since JUDDD began 2 days ago:

6/18 183.0 DD 483 (weight was up after carbauchery)
6/19 178.6 UD 1906
6/20 177.0 DD 483 planned

So far so good today!

Beth
Old 06-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

It is 6:17PM and I am still on track for a successful DD! YAY!! This afternoon was a bit distracting because when I entered the court, I was not allowed to bring in my water. There was no time along the way to inquire about vending machines, so for the entire afternoon all I had was a few sips out of a drinking fountain. YIKES!!! I had no idea how married I am to my water (or sometimes club soda) bottle! Of course I felt some combination of thirsty/hungry for the whole afternoon! I made it through though and I doubt I will be in a situation like that one (sort of trapped without access to liquids!) any time soon. At least I hope not!

I've got many things I *should* be doing this evening but really don't feel like it. I'm guessing this is due to the adjustment my body is going through. I am very grateful that I am NOT having thoughts of abandoning plan or binging or anything like that. I'm just feeling distracted and not interested in doing what I should be doing. Nothing is so urgent that it MUST be done today, so I'm going to give myself a break.

I think it's time for dinner.

DG
Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Hi DG, glad your day went good even without water. I can feel your excited about Juddd and that's so neat. What an awesome group of ladies and supporting forum. I know it will work for you!

I feel the same about 5:2, the Juddd girls call it Juddd light, I definitely think IFing is an awesome wol. We have a thread in other plans if you ever want to join in.

Have a good one and so glad you're back, I missed you! Oh, love your picture!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:01 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Good job on completing another successful DD. Have a great day today!!!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #12
Senior LCF member

Hi DG- You're doing great!

I can't imagine being hungry on an 1800-2000 cal UD, and I would increase with caution. Could it just be 'head hunger'?

The reason I ask is because I was convinced that I would die with DDs less than 500 cal, but what I discovered is that true physical hunger isn't all that unpleasant. But I must say, I didn't experience hunger on UDs--ever.

But if you're losing, the caloric level is one that works for you, and that's what's important regardless of the numbers.

Beware of daily weighing on JUDDD because the fluctuations are greater for most people than on standard plans. I only weigh weekly, and, as Dr. J advises, after a DD.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #13

You are doing so GREAT!!! Keep it up! I can't wait to watch you SUCCEED!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

DD#3 176.6

Thank you ladies! O my gosh I love the JUDDD BUDDD support level. I'm amazed and thrilled to have this kind of fabulous support!!!

6/18 183.0 DD 630 (weight was way up after carbauchery prior to starting JUDDD)
6/19 178.6 UD 1906
6/20 177.0 DD 475 (holy moly I haven't seen a whoosh like this in ...well....ever I don't think!! I JUDDD!)
6/21 176.4 UD 2603 OMG I was starving! I didn't feel "out of control" - just very hungry. So I ate.
6/22 176.6 DD

Here is my food plan for today:

B: decaf coffee - as much as I want - no limits!
L: will hold off lunch as late as possible. In my plan now is a lettuce and spinach salad with 2 oz turkey and 1 HB egg, and 2T Maple Grove Farms Rasperry Vinagarette dressing (174)
S: Raw vegs (at graduation party) (est 66 cals)
D: Chicken broth, HB egg (115)
May add another HB egg as a late night snack if I think my tummy will keep me awake. That would bring me to just over 400 cals.

I'm not sure if that lunch salad will make me MORE hungry. We'll see - I might just stick with broth and HB egg for lunch too. Would love to hear what works for others in terms of veggie volume.

I love all the active JUDDD threads and am gravitating to daily posting in a few. I'm going to try to remember to copy the "facts" of what's going on here to my journal so all the data is in one place. I think that will come in handy at some point - being able to read back to see what's happening (easily) over time.

This afternoon I have a graduation party. My plan is to hold off on lunch until shortly before we go. Then make myself a plate of veggies when I get to the party, and find some folks to talk to that are not near the food tables. Then I will have my dinner to look forward too when I get home. That's my plan and I'm stickin' to it!

DG
Old 06-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Leo - yesterday was strange and NOT head hunger. I actually felt totally in control which was an odd feeling! I did not have urges to abandon my plan and eat *whatever* which is how I often felt on WW and sometimes on LC too. Where I was fighting myself. (and usually losing!) This just felt like....hunger. I need more food. Wait to make sure it's really hunger. Yep, it's hunger. I feel hungry for fat. What type of fat? Consider the options. Etc.

That was really different.

DG
Old 06-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #16
Senior LCF member

DG- When I first started JUDDD, our group had a saying that helped me though many a DD--

"Hunger is a warning from your body that it needs energy and wants to be fed, and if you don't feed it, it's going to use fat stores from your body for its energy needs."

Someone said that's actually true, but whether or not it is, it's a comforting thought--i.e., of course we want those fat stores to be used, so it's best NOT to eat. Go DD!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

DG- In my humble opinion, if you are genuinely hungry, you shuld probably eat little protein. If protein does not take care of the hunger, you will know it is a head hunger and it will pass. 1 or 2 HB eggs can sometimes do the trick for me, even if it means I am going over my calories. You will find some days less and some days more hungry. Oh and don't forget cucumber pickles or fresh cucumber sliced and sprinkled with little sea slat- very low calories food. I am sure at the beginning body is adjusting to low and high calories fluctuations and you may feel more on UD hungry. Don't worry about it, you will adjust to the new way of eating very soon. Just be patient.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Leo - I like that way of looking at hunger!

Marika - that is a good idea about protein such as HB eggs to see if the hunger goes away.

Doing fine in DD today. All I have had so far is some HWC in my coffee. I had planned a salad for around this time of day but just didn't feel like food. I have felt some hunger pangs but nothing that felt as urgent as last night. Anyway, I'm thinking somehow the feeling last night really was psychological - i.e. not EXPECTING to be hungry on a UD and some sort of mental twist.

I am still shocked that I despite going over planned calories, I don't feel like a "blew it," I'm not angry at myself, I'm not trying to do anything today or plan anything tomorrow to compenstate (that never works anyway, at least not in my own experience) etc. This is very different.

DG
Old 06-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohcmb
Stats: 205/191/160
Start Date: 2014 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
I am still shocked that I despite going over planned calories, I don't feel like a "blew it," I'm not angry at myself, I'm not trying to do anything today or plan anything tomorrow to compenstate (that never works anyway, at least not in my own experience) etc. This is very different.

DG

I LOVE this about JUDDD.

Glad you are enjoying JUDDD so far! Its wonderful!
ohcmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

175.6 UD today

6/19 178.6 UD 1906
6/20 177.0 DD 475 (holy moly I haven't seen a whoosh like this in ...well....ever I don't think!! I JUDDD!)
6/21 176.4 UD 2603 OMG I was starving! I didn't feel "out of control" - just very hungry. So I ate.
6/22 176.6 DD 500 on the nose
6/23 175.6 UD shooting for 2000

I'm mentally preparing myself for the early whooshes to be finished and for the scale bounces to begin in earnest. I need to expect that and remember it's normal! <notes to self! >

Yesterdays menu ended up being:

4T HWC with decaf coffee through the early afternoon
raw vegs at the party
cup of chicken broth
LF cottage cheese and blueberries
500 cals on the nose.

It was a hungryish day but I had NO sabbatoging thoughts such as "I'll eat *whatever* at this graduation party and start over tomorrow" etc. That really didn't cross my mind and that is SUCH A VICTORY considering my mental struggles just to stick to a plan - any plan - over the last few years. "I can eat whatever I want tomorrow" is shutting that down, at least for now. I'm grateful for that.

UD today. I have a general idea of my meals but will fill in the details once I'm fully awake.

Lunch or dinner will be BBQ pork tenderloin and the other meal will be steak. Just haven't decided the sides yet. I'm holding off on breakfast until shortly before I leave for a 10AM meeting and it will likely be LF cott cheese and strawberries. Maybe a piece of julian toast also if I'm hungrier than I am right now.

What amazes me is that I haven't been FAMISHED upon waking, even after DDs. This is sure showing me that the correlation between food consumed and hunger is just not a simple one.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
What amazes me is that I haven't been FAMISHED upon waking, even after DDs. This is sure showing me that the correlation between food consumed and hunger is just not a simple one.
This always amazes me too. Where is the hunger I felt on previous DD? it is gone by next morning
Old 06-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
This always amazes me too. Where is the hunger I felt on previous DD? it is gone by next morning
Yes... It would seem more logical to wake up famished. Many times I feel more hunger five minutes after I eat then I have waking up after a DD!!! Gotta be the crazy hormones I guess...
Old 06-24-2013, 04:17 AM   #23
Senior LCF member

In all the time I did JUDDD (about 3 years--and now occasionally), that's always been the case. After a DD, the next morning, I'm not particularly hungry. I suspect two reasons:

1. Hunger is a sign that our bodies want to be fed. At that point, they tap into our fat stores for energy. So when we wake up the next morning, our bodies are satiated from that body fat.

2. An empty stomach will 'shrink' and therefore will not be sending out hunger signals as quickly. The morning after a DD, our stomachs will be 'smaller.'

Usually appetite returns during the UD, but if we're careful not to overeat, we won't be especially hungry the next morning for the DD. Personally, I have to eat very low carb, and I think that's why my DDs were always manageable.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
That happens to me often. SOmetimes I wonder if it is totally MENTAL! Saturday I was starving from the moment I woke....nothing changed it either. Sunday (UD) I didn't even think about food till after 1:00 p.m. WTH???
Old 06-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Hi friends!

Leo - I think you have a point about the fat use and the smaller stomach signaling. I doubt I will ever be super low carb again unless my BG gets a lot worse and forces me. I definitely don't feel as well VLC as I do in the 50-100 range. We'll see how it plays out I guess!

Zipp - I agree there definitely has to be a mental component. Sheesh. My mind is a scary place sometimes!

6/19 178.6 UD 1906
6/23 175.6 UD 2463 - OOPS
6/24 177.6 DD 423 planned

Went a little high yesterday. Mindless peanut eating at the tail end of the day. (dang DH and hi junk foods!!) Anyway - I'll take the scale bounce.

Today has been an awesome DD. First one while I was at internship so therefore out of the home/home office all day. Minimal hunger and minimal thoughts of food. I was able to easily put off the decision to eat until after I got home (ate small at 4PM). I've been thinking more about food this evening but once again, it hasn't been horrible to put off eating. I'm waiting to have a little snack right before bed since I have a hard time falling asleep if my tummy is grumbling. I'm very happy with this DD. (and I'm staying far far away from DH and whatever junk he's eating tonight!!!)

My small meal so far today was potatoes (4 oz boiled/chilled) and I'll have another 4 oz before bed. This is probably my last potato hack DD. I love it, and at 4 oz my BG isn't over 140 but I just don't think straight carbs with no protein/fat to take the edge off is a good idea for me.

I think my next DD will consist of lean protein and we'll see how that works out. After I try lean protein on it's own, I want to try it again with some low cal vegs and see how they compare.

I have been struggling so much over the last couple years. Lately, I haven't been able to stick to ANYTHING for more than a couple days. (WW, Atkins, whatever) I am so thrilled to have spend a week on JUDDD officially on plan! I hope it continues to work for me. I sure love the support of the JUDDD community here on LCF.

That's it for now - I'm gonna go see how the Blackhawks are faring!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
You really are doing great DG! Your attitude is admirable, especially for someone so new to JUDDD. I am with Monica - I can't wait to see you do this!

I'm also blown away when I wake up on UDs and I'm not hungry. In fact, the first time I got up, got my morning started and took about an hour to even think about whether it was an UD or DD, I couldn't believe it!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #27
Senior LCF member

DG- I think our 'comfortable' carb level is an individual thing. Dr. Atkins pointed that out when he suggested we find our "CCL" (critical carb level), the point at which hunger returns and weigh gain begins. For me, it has always been about 25-30g. I can't go above that. But at the same time, I feel best when I eat no more than 20g of carbs, and I can go to 10g easily. I suspect that we are all unique in our needs. My body simply can't deal with carbs--but this is a totally individual issue.

You are wise to find what works best for you. Staying on plan is, IMO, a matter of finding the WOE that is most suited to our bodies, lifestyle, and temperament.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Carol - today is UD for me and I'm amazed just like you said - no thoughts of breakfast and I've been up over an hour now! It's a very peaceful feeling and I haven't felt any peace with regard to food in a LOOOOOONG time.

Leo - you are so right (as was Dr. A) this is such an individual thing. I think what adds to the frustration for me is seeing something work well for others that just doesn't work well for me. That triggers the "gloom and doom" thinking that I'm somehow broken.....I'll never be able to lose weight.... blah blah blah. A really good thing about LCF is that there is support for so many plans or no official plan at all. Sometimes that can maybe be confusing but in the bigger picture, I think it's been beneficial for me putting options in front of me. I just haven't always been willing to give alternatives a full on, well educated (i.e. read the posts, the book, etc.) try.

Today's was quite fun! Makes me DD's!

6/19 178.6 UD 1906
6/23 175.6 UD 2463 - OOPS
6/24 177.6 DD 327
6/25 174.8 UD YAY!!!! I'm starting to love DD!!!

I have to say after the first week anyway, I'm loving JUDDD.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
WTG dg! Glad it's working so good for you!

Last edited by scalestepper; 06-25-2013 at 05:58 AM..
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
WTG dg! Glad it's working so good for you!
You are getting so close to your goal of ONEDERLAND!!! Make sure you let me know where to find your party when it happens!