LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiffany62590
Stats: 240/165/159
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2008 started Atkins, low carb on & off since
Tiffany62590's Keto Journal

Hello, my name is Tiffany I've been low carbing for a super long time (2007), and like many I started out thinking I was just 'fat', but as the fat has peeled off I've realized I have been left with multiple health issues that, even though I'm currently very near my goal weight, are going to keep me from ever eating 'normally' again. Even though I'm quite young, my insulin is pretty much shot and I'm more sensitive to carbs than even my mom is (who is in her 40s and was once pre-diabetic). I recently found out about nutritional ketosis, which is basically the Atkins fat-fast in lifestyle mode. I've always done great on the fat fast, and its the only WOE with which I'm not continuously hungry all the time. Most of what I'll be eating and writing about will be fat-fasting/nutritional ketosis.

My Stats:
Height: 5'11
Frame: Medium
Allergies/Dietary restrictions: Well obviously I can't eat carbs I seem to do best around 30 carbs per day, which I'll probably be trying to stick with when I reach maintenance. I'm also gluten intolerant and super caffeine sensitive. Also get an allergic reaction if I eat too much Splenda (it shoots my blood sugar up, breaks me out in acne and gives me a red rash on my face).

My weight loss story
My Before and After Pictures

Please feel free to leave a comment, here or by PMing me

Last edited by Tiffany62590; 06-19-2013 at 06:47 AM..
Tiffany62590 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Today I'm starting a good ol' fat fast, 1,000 calories with 90% coming from fat - I haven't done a fat fast in a very long time, but know I'll get good results from it.

I've been eating about 1,800 calories and 30 carbs per day, with a 30 minute run in the mornings. This has been working okay to maintain my weight, but I still need to go down to about 155 - 159. Problem is I'm not sure what my exact weight is right now - I haven't weighed in nearly 3 weeks, and I no longer have a scale at home. My best guess is that right now I'm between 170 - 175, however a good amount of that is water and food weight. I've been on antibiotics for the past week and a half (which always makes me hold water) in preparation for a laser skin treatment which I had yesterday. I also have been on the 'see-food' diet Monday and yesterday. I can tell by how I feel that I am holding a TON of water - possibly 10 pounds or so. I feel very uncomfortable and can't wait to get this water off. Every Monday I weigh at a women's health bible study I'm part of (which is why I tossed my scale) so next Monday I'll be able to post my weight.

For today, I'm keeping my menu simple and fatty Here's what I'm eating:

1 cup beef broth with 1/4 cup cream
1 nitrate free all natural beef frank
1 oz macadamia nuts
1 fat bomb (the recipe I use is equal parts cream cheese and unsalted butter)
1 cup herbal coffee w/ 1/4 cup cream

According to my calorie tracking website, that's 997 calories, 97 grams fat, 12 grams protein, and 14 grams total carbs (or whatever it is you call it when you're not subtracting fiber, which I don't do).
Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I did my first fat fast day perfectly (997 calories, 97 grams fat) which surprised me a little because I got pretty tired and hungry near the end of the day, and was walking that thin line of 'just a little snack'. My family is always very supportive of my diet, however, and kept me motivated. I'm also feeling physically better and less bruised (which happens when I hold abnormal amounts of water) so I think the water retention from the antibiotics is already starting to come off! Very pleased about that.

Today's menu:

1 cup herbal coffee with 1/4 cup cream
1 nitrate free all natural beef frank
1 oz macadamia nuts
1 serving of Sauteed Mushrooms (recipe from Dana Carpender's Fat Fast Cookbook)
1 cup herbal coffee with 1/4 cup cream

Daily totals: 1,028 calories, 101 grams fat, 10 grams protein and 16 grams complete carbs.

I haven't been doing much in the way of exercising these past two days, as I can't sweat much until my skin heals from the treatment. I'll start walking/sprinting again this Monday.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

I had a moderate headache for most of last night, probably from carb withdrawal. Doing pretty well, I don't feel sluggish or tired, just a bit hungry and cranky I'll feel better once I get into fat burning mode. I'm hoping to pick up a glucometer this weekend so I can start keeping track of my blood sugar. Knowing what does and doesn't spike it will be hugely empowering!

Today's menu:

9am: 1 cup herbal coffee with 2 tbs heavy cream
12pm: 1 nitrite free all natural beef frank with 1/2 tbs mayo
3pm: 1 nitrite free all natural beef frank with 1/2 tbs mayo (yes, having it twice)
6pm: Sauteed mushrooms
9pm: 1 cup herbal coffee with 2 tbs heavy cream, 1 oz cream cheese

Daily totals: 1,004 calories, 94 grams fat, 18 protein, 15 grams complete carbs.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Hello! I just happened by your journal (I try to stop in to a couple of new ones every day!) and wanted to let you know that I'll be following your journey with great interest.

I'm a very similarly sized person to you--5'10", goal weight of around 160ish.

I'm a longtime LCF member, and a very longtime low carber, but years ago, I hit a wall about 15 pounds from my goal and nothing on earth would break through it (except that when I finally tried hcg, I busted through and got to goal. But man, it's hard to stay here.)

I must be the only longterm low-carber on earth who has never tried the fat fast. Not sure why, since it's so effective for so many. I'm going to give it a try when I finish the round of hcg I'm on.

I figured out years ago that I don't do well at all with wheat. It has always given me some pretty gross digestive problems, but lately I'm also noticing that it seems to give me joint pain and inflammation and just general body achiness and discomfort. So wheat really can't be part of my future. Not sure if it's all gluten, or just wheat. Guess I will see.

I'm interested in seeing what nutritional ketosis is all about. I took about a six month hiatus from LCF, and now that I'm back, I'm seeing reference to it everywhere!! So you will be teaching me all about it. Thank you for posting your meals so specifically. That's super informative!

I wish you great success with these last few pounds! You seem very knowledgable and scientific about it, so I'm sure you'll succeed!

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

P.S. I get laser skin treatments all the time. Every time I see a promotion for IPL or Fraxel, I buy it. I've had my face, chest, hands and arms treated many, many times. I'm kinda addicted!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Hi verbqueen, thanks for stopping by The fat fast is great, and works really well for me - I always do well on it. Some people don't, but my metablism just likes it, lol. I'm still new to the whole nutrtional ketosis, but it's basically the fat fast with more calories, so I'm hoping it won't be too hard to maintain it Nice to see another tall lady here!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

I'm a little tired today - I think my body is finally making the transition from glucose burning to fat burning, which is a good thing! Just hoping my energy levels go back up a bit. I'm not planning on doing any intense exercise for a while so staying at around 1,000 calories shouldn't affect my daily performance much. I've also started reading The Glucometer by A. M. Ross and it's really good! Gives a good description of how carbs affect your body and how to keep your blood sugar controlled. Definitely need to get myself a glucometer.

Today's menu:

9am: 1 cup herbal coffee with 2 tbs heavy cream
12pm: 1 nitrate free all natural beef frank and sauteed mushrooms
3pm: 1 cup herbal coffee with 2 tbs heavy cream
6pm: tuna salad (made with 3 oz tuna and 2 tbs mayo)
9pm: chocolate whipped cream (1/4 cup heavy cream with 1 tsp unsweetened dark cocoa and stevia)

Daily totals: 1,012 calories, 92 grams fat, 23 grams protein, 13 grams complete carbs.

I'm trying to arrange my eating so that I'm getting back into eating more 'meals' instead of 'feedings'. My preference would be to eat the majority of my calories in the evening, simply because I find that the most physically and emotionally satisfying way to eat.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

I agree on the evening meal thing. One issue I have with the hcg diet is that going to bed feeling "empty," (and I'm not really sure whether it's physically or emotionally empty that I'm talking about) interferes with quality sleep.

Your food looks good.

I tried to start the fat fast today, but when I tallied all my nutrients, I didn't get a high enough percentage of fat. It's more challenging than I realized to get those high fat numbers. I'll get it right tomorrow.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

I know, I hate going to bed 'empty' too, lol, plus the evening is when I do all my family time and relaxing, so it's more enjoyable to eat then rather than during the day Jimmy More just posted a great article on his facebook page about how eating 2 big meals a day leads to more weight loss than eating the typically recommended 5-6 little meals - just another reason to eat more less often!

It really is tricky getting in enough fat - Dana Carpender just came out with a fat fast cookbook that has some really great suggestions. Basically you just have to be as creative with cream, butter, oil and cream cheese as possible. It is possible though, and you can try asking for more suggestions in the recipe forums, everybody has favorite fat fast recipes
Old 06-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Sunday's fat fast:

I didn't get to post this yesterday as I was away from the computer all day what with church activities and whatnot So this is what I ate yesterday:

8am: 1 cup herbal coffee with 2 tbs cream and 1 tbs butter
11am: cup of tea with stevia (to tide me over until lunch)
1pm: 1 nitrate free all natural angus beef frank with 1/2 tbs mayo
3pm: 1 cup herbal coffee with 2 tbs cream
5:30pm: scrambled eggs with cream cheese (2 eggs mixed with 1 oz cream cheese, fried in 1 tbs butter)
8pm: 1 cup herbal coffee with 2 tbs cream
10pm: 1 cup decaf coffee with 2 tbs cream

Daily totals: 1,091 calories, 99 grams fat, 20 grams protein, 13 complete carbs.

I went higher than I intended to yesterday; as you can tell I was eating at odd times and in odd amounts because I was running around so much. I also had a pretty bad headache last night, hence the cup of decaf coffee to help me sleep.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Very informative. I hate eggs, so that's one easy way to incorporate the high fat ingredients that I can't use. However, I'm catching on, little by little.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

(posted Sunday's menu and forgot to post yesterdays, lol!)

Sunday's Menu:

11:30am: 1 cup herbal coffee with 1 tbs cream, 1 nitrate free all natural beef frank with 1/2 tbs mayo
3pm: 1 tbs Smuckers Natural chunky peanut butter
6pm: 3 oz mild cheddar cheese
9pm: 1 cup decaf coffee with 1 tbs cream, 2 tbs Smuckers Natural chunky peanut butter

Daily totals: 972 calories, 81 grams fat, 38 grams protein, 18 grams complete carbs.

Probably shouldn't have had so much peanut butter as it raised my carbs and protein

Last edited by Tiffany62590; 06-25-2013 at 06:16 AM..
Old 06-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

I got a glucometer lst night! I can't believe how excited that made me, lol. I tested my glucose levels around 8pm, about two hours after I had eaten a dinner of cheese, and my reading was 68 mg/dl. Whoa. That was a little lower than I was expecting. I tested again about 30 minutes after I had my snack of peanut butter, and my reading was 65 mg/dl. It had gone down! My health consultant (my chiropractor father) suspects that what is happening is after I ate, my body released too much insulin - meaning I don't have so much a problem of too much blood sugar, but too much insulin, which lowered my blood sugar more than was needed. I tested again an hour after eating the peanut butter and my levels went back to 68 mg/dl.

This morning I tested again after I had gotten up and my reading was 66 mg/dl. Still pretty low. I'm going to definitely start researching and testing this, so be prepared to see a lot of posts about glucometers and blood sugar. Thankfully Jimmy Moore's blog has a ton of good information, which is where I'm going to start.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

I'll be observing your glucometer adventures (and since I don't even know what one is, that will be very interesting.)

I've always had what my doctor called "rebound hypoglycemia." Ever since I was a kid, if I ate a super sugary meal, say, pancakes with syrup for breakfast, about an hour later I would have this scary crash and feel shaky, light-headed, disoriented, weak, etc. I think I have an insulin overreaction to certain foods that causes my blood sugar to drop too much. Since I've been mostly eating low carb for the last 15 years, it never happens to me any more. I've also learned that if I do eat something that's primarily sugar, I'd better eat a healthy amount of protein and fat with it.

I did much better with the fat fast yesterday and today. Didn't quite make it up to 90%, but did reach the upper 80s.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

@verbqueen: I've been researching it and found lots of good information on Jimmy Moore's blog, he calls it 'reactive hypoglycemia'. It's basically what you said - my blood sugar is having an overreaction to the foods I'm eating, and it's releasing too much which knocks my blood sugar down to much. It seems to be happening no matter what I eat, so go figure :/ I always assumed that I had high blood sugar but it seems like I have the exact opposite problem - my blood sugar gets low after I eat instead of getting high, which is why I always seem to be hungry, lol. Doesn't seem to be much you can do about it other than just keep eating low carb. I was very heavy once (70 pounds more than I am now) which apparently messed up my insulin big time, and it thinks I'm still fat and pre-diabetic like I was before. Hopefully over time it will adjust to my new body! And congrats on your first fat fast! It's a little tricky getting the fat high enough but it's worth it

And, for ease of writing, I'm going to start posting yesterday's meal instead of the day's meal (because I often end up changing things here and there and it's difficult to decide at the start of the day exactly what I'll be eating).

So here's Tuesday's menu:

10am: 1 cup herbal coffee w/ 1 tbs cream
12pm: 1 nitrate free all natural beef frank with 2 oz cheddar cheese
3pm: 1 cup beef broth
7pm: 1/2 cup cream, whipped with 2 tsp unsweetened dark cocoa powder and stevia
9pm: decaf coffee w/ 1 1/2 tbs cream

Daily totals: 1,035 calories, 93 grams fat, 23 grams protein, 18 grams complete carbs.

Still messing around with were most of my calories go...having most of them for lunch and dinner seems to be working. Also testing between decaf coffee and herbal coffee to see what my reactions are.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

The food, particularly the fat content, looks great! I'm going to try your broth with cream and or butter idea--hot foods are filling and comforting, and that'd be pretty much an all-fat meal!

Regarding the blood sugar thing, I just wonder if some people are wired that way in their DNA. I was a thin, wiry child but had these blood sugar crashes early in my life, and my (still thin and wiry at age 30) son has always had them, too. I used to send extra food to school with him in elementary school and tell the teacher to please let him eat some cheese or peanut butter if he had a crash. I remember that he would lie down on the floor and say "I can't get up." Poor baby.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

I think it just has to be genetic or DNA too - some people are just different, and that's just how it is. I think that's hard for some people to accept - my vegan friends believe that going vegan will cure everything, and it might for some people but not for me! Give me my butter and bacon, and I'll be good!

Last edited by Tiffany62590; 07-01-2013 at 08:19 AM..
Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Diet update: Despite sticking to the fat fast for 9 solid days, my weight had barely budged. So over the past few days I've tried a new experiment, that I'm calling the Four Fats Experiment. Basically it's the fat fast with a twist; I'm only eating 1,00 calories of butter, cream, sour cream and cream cheese. These fats are all low in carbs and protein so it's basically a pure fat diet. It has been a rousing success; in the past four days I have dropped 5 pounds. My blood sugar is still pretty low (averaging between the high 50s and the mid 60s) but it's stabilized and hasn't been dropping or going up or down.

I don't really know why the fat fast wasn't working for me, though I was probably eating too many carbs. Or it could simply be my metabolic damage coming out. Maybe my gluconeogenseis was on hyper drive. Whatever the cause, my body has now kicked into fat burning mode and the weight is coming off. I'm going on an 8 day mission trip to Haiti starting July 19th so I would really like to get my weight down to 159 or less before I leave. Surviving in Haiti will be hard enough without worrying about my weight (the foods we will be provided with will be mostly rice, beans, pasta and fruit, meaning I'll have to bring all my own food in order to control my insulin).
Old 07-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Diet update: Despite sticking to the fat fast for 9 solid days, my weight had barely budged. So over the past few days I've tried a new experiment, that I'm calling the Four Fats Experiment. Basically it's the fat fast with a twist; I'm only eating 1,00 calories of butter, cream, sour cream and cream cheese. These fats are all low in carbs and protein so it's basically a pure fat diet. It has been a rousing success; in the past four days I have dropped 5 pounds. My blood sugar is still pretty low (averaging between the high 50s and the mid 60s) but it's stabilized and hasn't been dropping or going up or down.

I don't really know why the fat fast wasn't working for me, though I was probably eating too many carbs. Or it could simply be my metabolic damage coming out. Maybe my gluconeogenseis was on hyper drive. Whatever the cause, my body has now kicked into fat burning mode and the weight is coming off. I'm going on an 8 day mission trip to Haiti starting July 19th so I would really like to get my weight down to 159 or less before I leave. Surviving in Haiti will be hard enough without worrying about my weight (the foods we will be provided with will be mostly rice, beans, pasta and fruit, meaning I'll have to bring all my own food in order to control my insulin).