Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
My Personal Low Carb Lifestyle Plan~No Induction Required

After 1 year of JUDDD (40lbs off), 1 year of goofing off (20lbs on) and 5 months wasted on self-loathing (3lbs down) I have a plan to live by. This is my plan.

I'm getting this down so I can remember my plan. It's a lifestyle plan that will allow me to have 100 carbs a day and under 15 sugar grams a day. Sound familiar? I'm stealing bits and pieces of other L/C diets. MDA says 50-100 gms are good for a steady 1-2lbs loss a week (I'll be happy with 1) Jorge Cruise (The Belly Fat Cure) says 15 max grams of sugar and 120 gm carbs. I think 120 is a bit too much. I will have a maximum of 20 carbs per meal. South Beach Diet says that light dressing and cheeses are perfectly okay. This is good to me, I don't really want to start eating a ton of fat again (thank you WW), I don't think it's good for me. So light sour cream, light ranch etc. Real butter (a tiny amount). Still staying away from wheat. I think this (no wheat) is maybe the smartest thing I did for myself this year.

So what is off limits? Really nothing (except wheat products and excess sugar). Sugar itself is not a problem for me, so candy and high sugar fruit won't be missed. I don't eat it anyway. It's an "I can have it all" plan, just not all at once. Or all the time. Or everyday. This veers away from WW in that it's lower carb. There are certain foods that I know are trigger foods and those I really have to try to avoid but they're not off limits. This is where lifestyle with self-control comes in. If I'm going to lose weight and stay focused I have to be accountable. I must record/journal/account for my foods. I can't close my eyes and pretend that I didn't have three glasses of Pinot Noir. See this is a trigger I know about. I also know that I can't keep tortilla chips around because they call me with their siren-song...until they are all gone. So even though nothing is off-limits, some things are dangerous to have around here. I will not bring tortilla chips into the house unless I have six other people to help eat them. I will not drink alone or without food (as in a glass with my meal) I will not drink every day. I really should only drink on the weekend but again, I don't want to undo my good work every weekend by over indulging. I love that there is nothing weird or 'fadish' about his woe. I do have restrictions but they are necessary to my health as well as my weight.

Lastly, I will be active every day, in some way. That may mean gardening or weeding or mowing the lawn. It may mean 40 minutes on the stationary bike. It may mean working a lunch shift. Or max cleaning my house. Or a walk. SOMETHING everyday to get myself moving. While I'm being active I hope to get out of my own head for awhile. While it's great to have a plan it's best to work it and not over-think it (my favorite downfall).

So Day 1 starts right now! I'm so excited. Aren't these new found revelations always exciting...at first? Still, I'm excited. And hopeful. Going into this with my eyes wide open. Slow and steady wins the race.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Adding up the grams

I plan to post sugar and carb grams for each day to maintain 15/100. Totals will more than likely be posted on the following day. For example, today's number will be posted in the morning after everything gets put in.

B: 2 eggs, 1 slice GF toast 1 slice American cheese (2/8) So 2 sugars, 8 carbs.

Weigh in is once a week. This week's starting weight was 217.4. My lowest number has been 209 this year and not that long ago either. I had a BIG bounce. Probably why I'm tired of playing around and have to get serious and busy.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made a smoothie w/ unsweetened almond milk, protein powder, flax and cherry flavoring. Yum.

Mid-Morning: Protein shake w/ flax (2/2) 2 sugars 2 carbs (the flax is 6 carbs with 6 grms fiber) so I zeroed it out.

Did some yard work, got hot pretty quick. I need to putter around in the shade for awhile.

No visitors yet? It could get lonely here......

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 05-29-2013 at 10:01 AM..
Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
You are not alone! sounds like you have a plan going and by now, you know what works best for you! Enjoy the journey girl! I'll be around reading all about it.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
I'm here! Got busy with the kiddo and dh this morning... with summer being around my mornings are not my own anymore with the kids running around!

I like where you're going with this! Proud of you for pulling it together and finding something that you can get excited about!!! You know I"m with you all the way.

DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Hey Sweetie, good going. Keep us informed how you are doing.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
It sounds like a very healthy and doable plan.....
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
You are not alone! sounds like you have a plan going and by now, you know what works best for you! Enjoy the journey girl! I'll be around reading all about it.
Thank you Monica! I'm really looking forward to working a life plan instead of instant plan that always leaves me feeling cheap and used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
I'm here! Got busy with the kiddo and dh this morning... with summer being around my mornings are not my own anymore with the kids running around!

I like where you're going with this! Proud of you for pulling it together and finding something that you can get excited about!!! You know I"m with you all the way.

Thank you Dani! I felt a strong need to have something I could return to on a daily basis, something that would give me leeway ans still keep me centered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Hey Sweetie, good going. Keep us informed how you are doing.
Hey Lindy! Great to see you here too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
It sounds like a very healthy and doable plan.....
That is is my hope Seabreezes! I need to be in this for the long haul and to be able to stick to it when I reach my goal.

Speaking of goals, I need to set some but I'm not sure how to do it. My weight loss in the past has been excruciatingly slow and I don't expect anything to change. I do have "movement goals" of 30 minutes minimum everyday and maybe for now that's where I need to stay. Meet the exercise goals first then see how the 'weight-thingy' goes.

I'm so happy to see you all here this morning, you really made my day!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yesterday's Numbers are a bit high, but that's okay. I am adjusting and am not being rigid with any of it at this time. This biggest sugar hits came from Organic Tomato Soup (14) and Vegetables (4.5) I'll need to make my own soup next time but this was in my pantry. Am I going to purge my pantry? No. There are some higher sugar items but for the most part I have good stuff in there.

Final Sugar/carb grams: 41/131 (Goal: 15/100)

PLUS:
Gardening-30 minutes
Walking-30 minutes

At some point I may choose to add daily calories to my total but not at this time. I think I have plenty of stuff to track, and I want to develop a rhythm to my days first. I have a lunch date at Souplantation today. That should be fairly simple. Lots of salad, avoid the muffins and pasta (no wheat) and maybe a cup of soup if there's something acceptable. I can make a meal of just salad.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #10

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Looks like you are rolling with it. RELAXING with eating is an important lesson to learn. Maybe someday I will learn it!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Monica, right? The line between relaxing and relapsing is very very thin! I do need to do it this way for now, so relaxed but vigilant. I think what would be ideal is to naturally gravitate toward the acceptable foods (proteins, veggeis, nuts and seeds) and naturally fall away from the ones that cause problems. Sort of like not eating certain foods because they kill my stomach (avocado, cucumber, cantaloupe) and not eating other foods (sugar, wheat product, chips) because they kill my weight loss goals, which in turn kill my self-esteem. Also, the harder I 'jones' over a WOE, the harder I fall when I can't sustain it. This WOE is sustainable, long term, IMHO.

B: eggs, toast (gf) cheese slice, coffee (2/8)

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 05-30-2013 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: add points
Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

You are doing great!! Enjoy your lunch, I really miss that place!

I'm just figuring out a way to "just move" instead of sitting so much.. I actually woke up sore this morning from forcing the stairs ALOT back & forth with laundry and whatever else.. interesting how much you can move if you stay conscious of it!
I would LOVE to walk but I just cannot bring myself to walk in the heat this year.. we tried one night and I literally felt sick about 10 min. in.. So, for now, I'll do little thing and use my weights and do some stretching and core stuff and wait til I find my bike. I can't wait!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
Old 05-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Dani!! I don't know how great I'm doing, but it sure feels good to have a plan, doesn't it? Walking in heat is no bueno. In the heat of summer here, walking is before 7 am or after 8 pm, otherwise it's miserable. I really like that you are on a 'move-it' regime. Stair climbing is amazing. If they're inside your house you can go up and down all you want to. Outside not so easy, people may talk, Clarice. I can't wait til you find the right bike for you! Also stretching! That is something that is sooo missing from my routine and I need it. For some reason () I hate getting up and down off the floor. For that very reason I should make myself get up and down all day long. Best of all, I'm so happy we didn't give up on ourselves!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Feels VERY good to just be doing something productive and good for me..
The stairs...oh the stairs.....I have 2 flights inside...I'm trying to make good use of them.. so our laundry is on the first floor and the bedrooms are on the 3rd..soooooo what I try to do is fly up both sets without stopping.. it's tough, they're kinda steep and I get kinda winded.. Ooooo and the burn...lord have mercy my legs and bum have no idea what's hit them!

....and the people talking..yep, I think they already do, what, with my LOUD P!NK music playing all day long on some days ..nah, our neighbors are pretty cool but I AM thankful that the stairs are inside rather than out, cause like you said, the heat is no bueno.

Leslie Sansone has a yoga dvd that is wonderful for stretching..so peaceful. DD16 loves it so I may have to wrestle it (more exercise!) from her. She's a lil yogini, that one!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

REALLY?? I love Leslie Sansone!! I have several walking DVD but I've never seen a yoga DVD for her. I'm gonna look!

Inside stairs, perfect for sprints and methodical up and down. Like... what if you ran up the stairs then walk down slowly? a few times. My thighs are shot, I could use some stairs....

I had a great lunch today, I'll be back with the tally.

Lunch 10/41 (Big Salad ranch, small baked potato, SF choc mousse

So far today sugars/carbs - 13/60 (Goal 15/100)

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 05-30-2013 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: adding details
Old 05-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Yeah, I believe Leslie has several yoga dvd's.. they're very basic and easy and that's why I like them.

That's what I've been doing! Up super fast and then down slow... good lord, it's haarrrddd!! Wah!

You had a great food day! Sounds yummy!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Total for the day: 13/100

I had carnitas for dinner w/ two corn tortillas and pico de gallo. This brought me to the above total. No snacks, dessert or wine tonight. Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Good job Danielle! Kill 'em! er..the stairs.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 05-30-2013 at 06:11 PM..
Old 05-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Hey Blonde and Dani,
Carnitas sounds terrific. But the corn tortillas. Moan....Love them. I need to try them again. Not much because, you know, no corn but a little. Stayed on my plan today. Luckily I can stay home and not be inundated with commercials. Just stay calm and deliberate with your choices and you will suceed.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:10 AM   #19

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Blonde-
I found you hun!!! This sounds like a good plan!!!!! I know LC is just not working for me, what happens, how can it work so well then not at all? I will be interested to follow along!!! I will be cheering for ya!!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:06 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today starts my WEEK 1 (the last few days have been practice)

Lindy! Do you have tummy issues with corn? I don't do wheat at all so I need something "yummy" once in a while. The tacos actually came with 2 tortillas each but I pulled 2 out and ate 2. Good for you, staying on plan! some days can be so hard. Calm and deliberate, great advice! Deliberate means in control and that's what I want. For me the 80/20 approach to grains is good enough for now.

Hi Amber! Glad you found me! I know how LC can suddenly stop working and I know that calorie counting alone is flawed. I'm hoping that watching both and especially watching my sugar intake will get me moving along again. In the future I see myself eating this way and throwing in occasional IF like 5/2. In the future, but this is something I can live with on a daily basis. Part of the LC problem for me is the instant water weight gain when you 'fall off the LC wagon". For me it can be so demoralizing that I throw in the towel sometimes for months and end up having to start over. The thing is, I know I can't eat ultra LC for my whole life. I've done it enough times to know this. I do believe with all my being that I an do this always. I'm expecting it to be slow but dang-it everything I've tried is slow. I can live with this. In the world of SAD eating habits, 100 carbs a day is actually pretty low.

SO~ I went to bed hungry last night. I don't know how I could have been hungry but I was and I fought it. I tried to remember true hunger (JUDDD) and remind myself that I had plenty to eat yesterday. I slept well and woke up feeling good for not caving in.

I feel pretty good, overall. Yesterdays numbers are 13/100.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

I think very low carb has stopped working for me. Period. I think you only get 1 or 2 shots at working it all the way through before it just doesn't do it's thing anymore. Kinda a bummer! At the same time, perhaps I couldn't stay on it was because it wasn't going to be sustainable longterm? I dunno?

I'm kinda intrigued by Chris Powell ATM...he uses carb-cycling with all of his clients, even the ones on his show, Extreme Weight Loss.. I saw him on Dr. Oz not too long ago and he explained how it all worked.. there was nothing "zero carb" about his plan, and was very well-rounded and sensible. I think he is a fantastic human being who truly wants people to succeed by being healthy. I'm gonna go check out his book this weekend and see if it's something i can incorporate.. It's all about whole foods and exercise.. what a concept, eh? Either that, or maybe I'll go knock on his front door (they live here) and say hi and have a sit down with he & his lovely wife, Heidi.

You are doing great so far!!!! I was kinda hungry last night too but I chugged some water for awhile because "the feeling" wouldn't go away...which inevitably had me up 2x in the loo.

Anything fun planned this weekend?
Old 05-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dani~ I think carb cycling is a good idea and sustainable. I'm thinking that with keeping track of my carbs daily I can reduce on days 'after' I may have gone over more than I wanted. I def want something that's not going to derail me if I eat a chip or have a piece of cake. It's not an issue right now but at some point I'm going to want it and I want to sensibly be able to have it. Not the whole bag, not the whole cake...just some. Like last night's tacos. Sensible, accounted for and enjoyed. I envy those who can lose pound after pound doing Nutritional Ketosis, or ultra low carb/high fat. I cannot. I feel that I'm just making myself sicker when I try it and fatter when I stop. I know I'm going to stop, so why put myself through that?

I say go knock on his door.

Today's breakfast:

turkey/cheese/bacon on GF toast w/2 t mayo

3/16

The bread had 8g each but is still under 30g total per meal. That's the ticket.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jayce
Stats: 255/214.8/212 MG# 1
WOE: Calorie Tracking & Exercise
Hiya! Popping in to support you.

Your plan sounds like a good one...I just changed my macros this morning so that my carbs will be about 150 or less and I'm going to focus on getting in more protein b/c I know I'm not eating enough. It's also super filling! I like your idea of daily activity too...

Dani, that Chris Powell book sounds interesting. He's a cutie patootie, and I don't normally like blondes. LOL
Jayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Jayce! 150g or less sounds good and trying to get protein at each meal will help you stay satisfied. More and more I feel that it's important to work a plan that is sustainable, otherwise it's back to square one, over and over again. I hope to never have to start over again, hence the "no induction required', it's more like get with the plan. Activity is something I need to work on daily. It's so easy to 'veg out' when nothing is going on. Thanks for your support. I do hope you like some Blondes...

BTW~ I really love your siggy.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

You may just see me in the news if I actually did go knock on his door! He's so adorable! I'm envious too. Seriously, if I coulda done it, I'd have been able to see goal about 4x by now.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
You may just see me in the news if I actually did go knock on his door! He's so adorable! I'm envious too. Seriously, if I coulda done it, I'd have been able to see goal about 4x by now.
YEP. Me too. I think I need a new motto. I love Jayce's quote by Anna Quindlan. I think mine would be something like...my new siggy.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 05-31-2013 at 10:11 AM..
Old 05-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jayce
Stats: 255/214.8/212 MG# 1
WOE: Calorie Tracking & Exercise
I do like some blondes...hehe.

I think "sustainable" is the key word -- I cannot think of this as a diet any-friggin'-more! That mindset totally screws with me and then I start feeling deprived and all "woe is me." LOL

Thanks -- I forget how I found that quote. It may have been on Pinterest. Sometimes I just search for motivational things, depending on my mood.
Jayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

I don't normally "like" blondes either! ... well, 'cept for my girl here, I LOVE her! Chris is pretty cute..I love the way his eyes crinkle when he smiles..he truly loves what he does!

I've been searching for sustainability for over a year..that's last May when I embarked on Atkins by the book..well, we all know how that turned out! It just could not be long term for me... What it boils down for me me is to stop with the excuses and just do it already.. get off the couch do the movement, and then eat the way I deserve to be eating!
Old 05-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jayce and Danielle~ You two are a couple of pretty smart cookies. You're both a lot younger than I and I'm delighted to see your mindset turn to 'living a good, healthy lifestyle' and let the living begin at a relatively young age. That's not to say there will never be frustration or another 'aha' moment. It's just really good to be in such company. Thank you!

PS Dani! I love you, too.

Lunch out today (I seem to eat out a lot but I really don't). Sombrero white chicken salad w/ jalapeno ranch, some cheese and sans the tortilla crisps. I can have them if I want but I'd rather save my carbs for something else (like Pinot)

Today's lunch: 6/18 for a total of 9/34 for the day, so far. I gotta say, those sugar grams add up really really fast. I find all of this very interesting.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, uhhhhhh, I'm not *that* much younger than you, dearheart!

Lunch sounds yummy

Everything adds up quickly.....carbs....sugar.....calories!