Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 04:55 AM   #991
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jayce
Stats: 255/214.8/212 MG# 1
WOE: Calorie Tracking & Exercise
Good morning, Blonde. Sending lots of & your way!
Jayce is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #992
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellgee View Post
Oh my word! It is no wonder that January is a tough month for you!

And you do know what is going on which puts you ahead of the game. So many times I am well into stuffing some feeling down and don't even know what it is.

And I am the queen of never want to work! I am hoping to be able to take some time off when we move and I ain't talking a week! Ideally I'd like to be off until after my daughter's wedding but that may not happen but a month would be peachy!
Thanks Laura. Knowing really does help take the 'bite' out somewhat. I hope you get to take as much time as you need when you move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri_Librarian View Post
Hey girl..nice to see you still here...

I am doing ok....I am going to be a gma for the 1st time this summer, so I must get this weight off again and get healthy..I let life and stress derail me for way too long

Glad to see some friendly beautiflul faces that I know <3
OH!! Congratulations Gramma!! One of my favorite titles, I love being one! Wonderful that you have such inspiration to be more healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Sending you
Thank you!! I needed that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Checking in girl! Happy New Year to you!!!!!!
Monica! You're back, safe and sound! Hope your trip was amazing! Welcome home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellgee View Post
Hi friend! Hope you are doing well!

Thanks Laura, I'm hanging in there, one day at a time. Yesterday was tough, today I'm better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Oh Blonde you have a lot going on in January, no wonder it makes you feel a little wonky, you are entitled to those feelings, and like you said, you thought about it and figured it out!!! Big Hugs to you! You are gorgeous, so no need to fear that B-day coming, embrace it! I tell everyone I am 50 and then they say wow I would have never guessed! LOL I make myself older, LOL
Thanks for the nice complements, Amber. You know 50 is the new 40...I think in general we all (women) take better care of ourselves than our mother's and grandmothers did. My grandmother was a hard working woman but she always 'creamed' her face (her words) every morning and night with Lady Esther cold cream. My mom was a stickler for skin care...I'm no different. Both my girls religiously take care of their skin. I think it helps the aging process to slow a little...or at least makes me believe it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
Good morning, Blonde. Sending lots of & your way!
Jayce~

Thank you my girlfriends, for your kind words and your understanding. I truly feel blessed to have such great friends here. It's so hard for me to express myself this way in front of my family. If I try, they look so distressed...then I'm doing the consoling...

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 01-09-2014 at 06:32 AM..
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #993
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lunch today with my BFF. The last time I saw her was a week before Christmas. We'll be having my birthday lunch.

Last night I made a GIANT pot of homemade vegetable soup. DD and the GG's came over after work for dinner...before 'karate' class for the little girls. Poor DD was so tired. She worked all day then had to go sit in class for 45 minutes before she could finally go home around 7 pm... The soup was a hit and the last of it went home for my SIL to eat since his wife and girls were gone all day. We are going to have a standing Wed dinner date unless she pulls the plug on 'late night' karate.

Still plodding along with the program...I've been having Greek yogurt a couple of times a day, 1/2 cup each time with a drizzle of no-sugar Honey and a tbls or so of pecans on top. I think it may be helping my tummy a little. At any rate, I like the taste, it fills me for awhile and feels like a treat.

Still counting my sugars, as in trying to keep them low, still GF and fretting a little about the impending birthday cake this weekend...DO I eat cake? Do I make a GF/SF myself? Angelfood? Does one piece of birthday cake matter in the grand scheme? Or am I setting myself up for disaster?

What do you ladies think?

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 01-09-2014 at 06:33 AM..
Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #994
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
It sounds like you are navigating this emotionally charged time of year well, Blonde. I'm so sorry for all your losses. I understand too, about not wanting to distress your loved ones by talking about it.

That soup sounds wonderful! I really need to make some. I'm going to make a big pot of beans and ham soon. I always get spiral hams when they go on sale around Christmas and cut them up and vacuum/freezer pack them into serving or meal sizes, then use the bone for the soup. MMMMM I love that stuff. Carby though!

Hang in there on the eating! It sure can be a struggle sometimes. Have a wonderful lunch today with BFF!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #995
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
So glad to see you today Sounds like family time was lovely last night. Enjoy your time with your BFF today

I say go for the cake if it's not going to give you too much tummy distress...but that's just me. I love cake

I truly love my yogurt every morning. So filling. Glad you're enjoying yours!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #996
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
It sounds like you are navigating this emotionally charged time of year well, Blonde. I'm so sorry for all your losses. I understand too, about not wanting to distress your loved ones by talking about it.

That soup sounds wonderful! I really need to make some. I'm going to make a big pot of beans and ham soon. I always get spiral hams when they go on sale around Christmas and cut them up and vacuum/freezer pack them into serving or meal sizes, then use the bone for the soup. MMMMM I love that stuff. Carby though!

Hang in there on the eating! It sure can be a struggle sometimes. Have a wonderful lunch today with BFF!
Carol thank you! Yes it does feel like navigating! The soup I made is one my mom made when I was a kid and my grandma too. It's so simple. I use a big can of tomatoes, a quart of broth, frozen mixed veggies (the kind with corn and peas and lima beans) along with some potatoes & carrots diced, saute' the meat with onion and celery in my favorite herbs and spices. Put the whole thing in a pot and simmer. The secret ingredient is 2 bay leaves. Mom just called it vegetable Beef but the beef was hamburger! I should write it down somewhere (oops I guess I just did). Ham and beans are the most yummy combination!! I love how you freeze up the leftover ham, a girl after my own heart. Thanks for the love, I'm getting by, one day at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
So glad to see you today Sounds like family time was lovely last night. Enjoy your time with your BFF today

I say go for the cake if it's not going to give you too much tummy distress...but that's just me. I love cake

I truly love my yogurt every morning. So filling. Glad you're enjoying yours!
Dani~ I've never really embraced yogurt, it's one of those things I'm giving a good try. I believe it's good for me, so I'mma eat it. Your right about the cake! It's my birthday for pete's sake, I should have a piece of cake...not the whole cake, not cake everyday...just my own Birthday cake. I haven't been GF long enough to be bothered too much (I don't think).

So all that talk on your page about Chris Powell's book on Kindle?? Well I got it for my Nook at a fabulous price! At least we'll all be on the same page and maybe stop asking so many questions! I love the idea behind carb-cycling.

Gonna be heading out in a few minutes. Can I say how much I love and appreciate you girls? I DO.

PS~ That soup also gets 1/3 cup of pearl barley!!!

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 01-09-2014 at 10:55 AM..
Old 01-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #997
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Your soup sounds yummy. I made split pea soup with my Christmas ham hock. It was a hit!

Enjoy your birthday and a slice of cake!

I think the carb cycling can work with JUDDD, although Chris wants people eating more times during the day. The low carb days could be down days.

Jorge Cruise's newest book is saying that ladies over 40 need more carbs. I think you said you had that book. I'm so far past 40 that I'm not sure it would apply to me, but do think a few carbs are good for us, just not a diet of mostly carbs......

Thanks for the hug back. Here's another for your birthday!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:54 AM   #998
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SeaBREE ~ Jorge says his book is great for women over 60 too! I do think we need a few good carbs as well, especially carbs that come from vegetables. I've hit a point in my life where salad and vegetables, including tomatoes HAVE to be okay to eat. They're so good for us. The old Atkins (and it actually worked) allowed such a small amount of veggies. I've come to believe the vegetables are at the base (the biggest) part of the food pyramid.

I had a wonderful lunch yesterday with my BFF. We went to Souplantation and had huge beautiful veggie salads, mine without croutons but plenty of seeds and a sprinkle of cheese. I love beets and my salad is always pink after of few stirs of the fork and knife. She totally went (too) overboard on my birthday, bringing me a 'working' birdhouse, a copper watering can, a hummingbird feeder and a book of 'bird food' recipes to attract the various types...you can see the theme here? I love my garden birds...and Spring is around the corner.

Today is 'take the car to the smog place' day...fun. Not.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #999
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Happy birthday girl! If you want an awesome GF cake recipe, I have one for you. TX Sheet cake GF! It is amazing. Let me know if you want the recipe. It is a great cake, my kids, for their birthday often ask for it and they aren't GF!

That Souplantation place sounds amazing. Is there a salad bar that you can pick and choose from?? I need that place here!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #1000
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Happy birthday girl! If you want an awesome GF cake recipe, I have one for you. TX Sheet cake GF! It is amazing. Let me know if you want the recipe. It is a great cake, my kids, for their birthday often ask for it and they aren't GF!

That Souplantation place sounds amazing. Is there a salad bar that you can pick and choose from?? I need that place here!
Monica, I would LOVE a GF cake recipe! Thank you, whenever you have time, that would be great!

Souplantation is a giant salad and soup bar. Anything you could possibly want! My salad is usually ~ romaine, baby greens, red onions, mushrooms, shredded carrots (add dressing) then beets, peas, garbanzo bean, jalapenos, black olives, cheddar shreds and sunflower seeds. I make two plates and leave hardly any room for soup or the multitude of muffins. They have a SF chocolate mousse that's divine, I eat with chopped peanuts. Some states have this restaurant but it's called Souplantation or Sweet Tomatoes.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #1001
Blabbermouth!!!

I am SO glad you had a wonderful day yesterday! And wonderful gifts that you got from the BFF...that's amazing!

Ok, so now I am excited.....I had no idea that Sweet Tomatoes was a "Soup Plantation".....we have those here.
Reading about your salad had me drooling alil' bit...that is YUM!

I think you deciding you're gonna have birthday cake is a good one. No one said you were gonna have "the cake" for your birthday...but a slice is not gonna hurt. It's all about what you do *after the fact* that's important IMO.
I wish I could be there to celebrate with you, I'd love you up!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
Old 01-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #1002
Big Yapper!!!!

That lunch sounds so good! I love Sweet Tomatoes (what we have out here). I love it when I have all the fixin's and I didn't have to fix'em!

What a lovely friend to give you those great gifts! I'm so glad it was a good day.

I agree, you should have some cake! But I too am curious about Monica's GF cake. I'm not avoiding wheat, but I'm trying to bypass it wherever I can. It just doesn't seem like it's good for us in any way.

Have a great day, sweet Blonde!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #1003
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Danielle & Carol!!! Yay for Sweet Tomatoes!! I love it!

Yes, I'm so lucky to have such a good friend. She knows me inside and out and still loves me. You know what I mean? Danielle I would love to have you my my birthday! What fun! Yes, on your advice, (LOL) I'm going to eat cake, one piece, maybe even with Ice cream... ooo or maybe ice cream cake....

Carol I have to agree, as yummy as wheat is, in all of it's delicious forms, I don't think it's good for us. Not the today's wheat anyway. I was reading about the 'beginnings' of the 'epidemics" of obesity and type 2 diabetes and it coincides nicely with the beginnings of processed flours and sugars being introduced into everyone's diet. Such tasty conveniences, but it definitely falls under the "If it's too good to be true, it's probably not good for us' category.

Today is business...smog the car (gross). I have to make an appointment.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #1004
Blabbermouth!!!

OMG ice cream! I wanted ice cream so bad the other night--totally random time at like 8pm..sitting there watching tv and I look at DH and say, rocky road ice cream sounds awesome right now. He looked at me like I had 3 heads I haven't had ice cream in probably over a year! And, as usual, the moment passed and I forgot all about it...crazy how my brain works with the cycling LOL

I told you about the project DD17 did for her college English class? She did hers off the book Wheat Belly and her experiences with her illness with wheat. It riled up a lot of people in class, they were incredulous that she would actually believe in that.. she was like, hello I have a wheat allergy, what's NOT to believe. When we talked about the responses she got from her classmates after presentation, she clucks and says, "oh mom, you know, they're all just children." That's my girl!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #1005
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

People get really riled up when you try to take away the object of their addiction.....
Old 01-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #1006
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
People get really riled up when you try to take away the object of their addiction.....
Well, half the girls that were freaked about it, all starve themselves... but I digress..

Apparently a class of 45 kids, and my kid is the ONLY one with a food allergy. Then again, I dunno if any one of them would have the cajones to actually admit it to a group of peers if they did. Yep, my kid is known to march to the beat of her own drum and not give a lick what anyone else says. This is wonderful, but not-so-much for mom & dad when they just want her to clean her room
Old 01-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #1007
Major LCF Poster!

Your lunch sounds wonderful with a wonderful friend. We don't have any of the salad bar places here. I've been to them on the mainland and love them. We have a couple of good restaurants with salad bars, but not the same.

I know Jorge says the diet is for any age. 60 was a long time ago, too! That's OK, I don't feel all that old and still get to do lots of things.

Keep enjoying your birthday!

Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #1008
Big Yapper!!!!

Have a wonderful Birthday, Blonde! You're a special lady and you deserve all the best.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #1009
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey there Ladies! I just got home from work and my feet are barking so bad...I forgot to take advil before I went....

Seabree~ you don't sound a day over 20!
Carol~ Thank you, you're too sweet!
Dani~
Jayce~

My birthday was love-licious. It was kind of a girls party with my son-in-law off to work and my DH snoozing in the other room. Lots of food of course, DD the elder brought Panda Express....*swoon*, we brought Pizza, my girl friends brought all kinds of sides and treats...the GG's went hog wild on the candy bowl while we were all otherwise occupied, but it was my birthday and they should have some fun too. DD made a darling cake constructed from bakery items...a round cake, a square frosted 'piece' of cake and a giant cupcake...piled them up in a tower and piped on more frosting to tie them all together, then topped with three silver stars on sticks...so cute! A good time was had by all!

Yesterday we went back to DD's to watch the Charger Game . I brought cut up veggies for a nice healthy snack and got the WORST tummy ache ever! I now have to add yellow squash to my list of foods that try to kill me...they include avocado, cantelope, cucumbers, zucchini and now yellow squash. BOO! I went to bed at 7.

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes, I really had a great one.

PS~ Totally back on track with my food.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #1010
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Happy belated birthday!!! It sounds like you had a wonderful time with friends and family.
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:08 PM   #1011
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Blonde, I try not to act my age!
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:55 AM   #1012
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow it sounds like the birthday was fantastic!

What is it in those foods that does not agree with you? That's nuts!

Great job getting back into lc again after all the celebrating!
Old 01-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #1013
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You know Dani, I'm not sure. I know that cukes, zukes, and summer squash all have tiny 'edible' seeds that may be the culprit. Maybe it's because I ate the squash 'raw'. Cucumbers and cantelope are from the same 'veg' family. Up until last summer cukes gave me no trouble. Avocado is a funny one. I can have a few bites of guacamole but straight avo will kill my gut for hours before exiting. Rude. It may be because I don't have a gallbladder. Maybe It's age related.

I came home yesterday, dragging as usual and as the night progressed I got more and more stiff. This truly sucks and the Advil didn't do much. However, I slept pretty well and feel better this morning. I'm definitely going to pre-Advil before work today! I only work two days this week (my choice) and today is the last one.

It's almost time for my yearly check-up, somewhat of a relief and also a bit scary...it seems I have so many more complaints than last year. I want to tell her my complaints and I want her to tell me it's normal and don't worry...I don't want her to prescribe drugs...

So enough complaining for the moment. I have a small crock pot of chicken sausage and marinara going...I may pick up a spaghetti squash...or not. DH probably won't be thrilled either way. I may just have mine with green beans....and call it supper.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #1014
Blabbermouth!!!

Interesting about the veggies...I didn't know those were related. At any rate, it all really sucks rocks, doesn't it! I would die without avocado!

Aw, I'm sorry about the stiffness Definitely get that advil in!
Hooray for only 2 days this week!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:48 AM   #1015
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm so glad you had a great birthday - it sounds fun! That cake sounds like a great idea. I never thought of doing something like that.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #1016
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jayce
Stats: 255/214.8/212 MG# 1
WOE: Calorie Tracking & Exercise
I agree that the cake idea sounds very cute!

I think your planned dinner sounds yummy...don't know that I've ever tried chicken sausage. Hmmm...
Jayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #1017
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
OH I am so glad you enjoyed your birthday! Sorry about the veggies from Sunday!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #1018
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning Lovelies!! Good to hear from you all. You'll be so proud of me, I just got back from the lab, had all of my blood work done including 'free T4' and I'm seeing my Doc next Monday the 20th. I am nervous about it for sure. 1) I'm going to have to say no the 'statins' if she recommends them, 2) I'm worried that my BG may be up (again)... 3) I'm going to have to discuss my 'hip' and my 'foot' and my tiredness and my easy weight gain and my trouble losing any weight...and I pray she scolds me and makes me get stricter and doesn't get out the RX pad instead.

Wouldn't it be great if all of this can be solved by tweaking my thyroid? IDK.

I'm making coffee (yay), it was a fasting blood test and having Greek yogurt w/pecans....
Old 01-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #1019
Blabbermouth!!!

So proud of you for getting the labs done! I'm crossing my fingers that all goes well at your appt. next week.

It won't surprise me if there is something going on with your thyroid. Better to get it fixed and get going with your weightloss, right?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #1020
Big Yapper!!!!

Good for you, and here's hoping your results are healthy, and that any recommendations are non-Rx.