Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #451
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Kicking butt & taking names, I see! Awesome job on the perfect score!!!!
...I'm sorry, you had me at the guacamole part and then I realized you had none!! Definitely trying to stick to a plan....today is turning out way wonkier than I'd like, already missed breakfast and lunch is gonna have to be uber quick-like. Not how I usually roll but it will have to do.
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #452
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jayce
Stats: 255/215/211 Mini-Goal
WOE: Calorie Tracking & Exercise
Congrats on your perfect score! How awesome!

That veggie burrito sounds yummy...
Jayce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #453
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Hi Girlies, busy and busier.......

I am trying to figure out how to get my SIL some help. She is my brother's widow and is about to be evicted, has no job, no money, no prospects and doesn't become eligible for Survivor Benefits until she turns 60 next June. I don't really know her at all, she was never a "family' type, never came to Christmas or Thanksgiving get 'togethers', so neither did my brother. I haven't physically seen her in almost three years, she lives 45 minutes from me. I'm torn about the whole thing and DH and I are shelling out a huge amount of $$ to basically buy her 10 days until the end of the month when her September rent becomes due. I'm at a loss. I can't have her move in with us, it would be too weird. I don't know what to due other than what I've done and it's only a 10 day reprieve for her.

If anyone knows of any programs or anything that might help please let me know.

I won't whine too much but I'm lacking sleep this morning and we're starting a new chapter today called Legal Liability....it looks really...erm...Legal. Extra coffee for me today I think.....
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #454
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Reporting in, happy Thursday! I'm wiped out this morning and wish I could go back to bed. I missed one on the legal liability test, it was so hard! Yesterday we sat with headphones and listened to people take calls. After an hour the guy I was sitting with to hear the calls looked at me and asked me, kinda cheerfully, is this something you can see yourself doing? I smiled at him but in my head I heard a resounding "HELL NO". I have to get to Friday so I can reboot.

I am fried.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #455
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Saturday Morning Reboot

Having some delicious unhurried coffee. I appreciate having a quiet morning. DH is watering the lawn and picking up dog poo (sorry if you are eating breakfast). I have ants in my kitchen and a bee in my bonnet. I don't mind the critters but dang it stay out of my kitchen! Now I have to eliminate them en masse. (That's the bee part) I don't like to harm anything if I don't have to.

All of my great plans for eating right took a back seat to classroom potluck/birthday celebrations/and stress eating at work. Seriously IDK if any of what I'm doing is worth it. I'm not getting any exercise to speak of and I'm in a constant state of angst with all the tests and quizzes we take every day...I don't want to let anyone down, least of all myself so I will continue to hang in until I make it all the way through or fail miserably, but not without a fight! Soon we'll have to apply all that we've learned to 'real life' phone calls and that is the scariest part. Following a tested format to lead the customer to where you want them...wherever that is.

It would seem I have many adjustments to make, something I'm admittedly not very good at, I hate change remember? But today is Saturday and I've said my last thing about work for the whole weekend. For right now, I'm putting on my 'exterminator' hat and going to get me some ants......
Old 08-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #456
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
OH GIRL, I hate ants. Hate them in the kitchen, bathroom, well, anywhere but outside!!! I hope you have a great week at work. The testing/training WILL PAY OFF, I know it will. They are LUCKY to have you girl!

Enjoy your long weekend, YOU deserve it~
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #457
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Blonde -- hope that your work week hasn't been stressful. I am too happy that this a 3 day weekend.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #458
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

3 Day weekend for me, WOOT!!

Hi Monica! Hi Jayce!! I'm so excited to have 3 days in a row off! YAY!

Work is getting a little more manageable. I'm still doing really well on the written tests and we've been doing a lot of phone practice, taking accident reports in class (fake ones) and learning the systems. That's been the hard part for me, I'm "technically" challenged, but the teacher is so encouraging. She says I have a great phone manner and I know how to talk to people. My technical skills will improve with more practice. I hope she's right. We have a "practical" test on the phones next week and I do feel apprehensive. What's the worst that can happen? Getting fired, but more likely getting held back in transition an extra two weeks. Transition doesn't start until Sept 16th. At that point we start taking live calls everyday, with coaches to help us through....

Food wise I have been out of control. I will admit to stress eating at work. The first week I made myself a nice salad everyday and had no time to finish it. The second week I made a half sandwich and brought baby carrots and dip and never finished the carrots...the third week I discover 'the breakfast burrito' in the Geico cafeteria and stopped making my own healthy breakfast here at home, eating half the burrito before work, then half at break then eating my lunch from home...then going home and eating dinner...last week it was burrito, then soup from the cafeteria (super salty) along with my sandwich from home, chips from the cafeteria, and chips from home and someone brought cake and yesterday I bought cookies and.....spin out!!! It's actually worse than it sounds. I haven't weighed but my clothes are tight. I'm doing an all veggie hack for the next three days. Any veggies I want, no added fat. Just veggies and lots of water. I need to de-bloat and de-puff and get some of this ick out of my system. Yesterday when I got home my ankles were scary swollen. I do miss my old 'walking' job, at least I was getting exercise everyday.

All in all though I am feeling much more positive about the changes I've made.....
Old 08-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #459
Blabbermouth!!!

She survived!

I guess I never really thought about what would go into working insurance....there is alot to know, apparently!

I can only imagine that the food thing at a place like that would be tempting...either the cafeteria or people bringing in yummy goodness.
I'd say you've done pretty darn well, all things considering. I think once the stress of having to test and prove yourself over & over you will slip into a nice little routine and you'll start flying on your plan.

Enjoy the time off. I cannot believe that it's September already! Frankly, I can't wait for fall....sooooo over the hot, and sweat, and humid, and monsoons, and sun!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
Old 09-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #460
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Danielle, just barely.....surviving, lol.

Yes there is a lot to know at Geico, as claims adjusters we're expected to be able to handle the calls to resolution unless there a injuries or such. Even then we take the reports of everything and then decide where it goes. Not all insurance call centers work like that. It is a challenge for sure and I needed a challenge desperately, I know longer appreciated the days I did have off and found myself going down the rabbit hole when I was alone. I currently have a deep appreciation of the time I have to myself or just being somewhere besides work. It's good.

I've been on a sort of tater hack, having microwaved golden potatoes as my 'meat' and supplementing with veggies and salad. I've also been taking double probiotics for the last couple of days, trying to get my guts in better shape. I'm going to try to follow this for awhile. The carbs make me happy and there's no added fat at all so it's not the carbs+fat "kiss of death" that can happen (that has been happening to me).

I don't mean to complain, because I know Arizona is scorching...it has been so blasted hot here. Just miserable. Going outside is like walking into a sauna! Like being in Arkansas...without the beautiful scenery. It's dead and dry here and I'm worried about fall fires...but oh so looking forward to fall!

I'm going to do some shopping today after DH goes to his gig. Not going to the gig it's too dang hot.

Have a great weekend!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #461
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I need to move forward and I can't seem to make the connection. I have gained 5lbs of the Geico 20 in four weeks. At this rate I'll hit the twenty somewhere in the middle of November. I have to somehow put an end to this food madness that makes me crazy every single day...I just don't know how.

I'm taking a break from my journal for just a bit. I'll be back when I have something positive to report.

Back to work tomorrow, it will be a good day.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #462
Big Yapper!!!!

OH I will miss you girl! Please check in when you can!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #463
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Friday the 13th (chee-hee-hee-ha-ha-ha-ha)

I am an unemployed call center worker. Yes, I flipped my lid and walked away from the best paying job I ever had, and the most hated job I ever had. Let's just say it wasn't for me. I did great in the classroom and was just about to graduate (today as a matter of fact) when we took 'live' calls all day last Friday. It was a horror show. Okay maybe not that bad, but dealing with people in some of the worst moments of their lives is not how I want to spend my working days. Then on Monday we went into a 'live' file to look around at the police report and talk about 'file handling' procedures, writing checks, etc and it happened to be a motorcycle fatality. One of our policy holders had struck and killed a motorcyclist who was on his way to the DMV to get a 'permit' to learn to drive. His wife was minutes behind and arrived on the scene. He had no insurance and the accident was his fault ( he drifted into the other lane). As the teacher talked on about 'file handling' all I could think about was "He died. He died!", without insurance, his wife saw him dead on the freeway, his two friends were waiting for him at the DMV, wondering where he was...

I had a lump in my throat and kept swallowing so I wouldn't cry. My husband rides, many of my friends ride. It was too much and too close to home. I went home after work feeling sick at heart. Is this how I want to make a living? Is this how I want to spend 40 hours a week? In fear of getting 'that' call? The one that makes me want to breakdown? I couldn't talk about it with my hubby, he's so gung ho for this job. I slept badly and of course had nightmares. Tuesday morning I got up and showered and got ready for work, feeling bad and almost afraid to leave the house. I finally sat down at the computer and posted an email to my teacher. An apology, and a resignation. "This is not for me", I said. I said it a couple of times.

Am I sorry? Not for any reason that makes sense. I'm sorry I'm not a stronger person, or that I have too much empathy, or I had to disappoint my husband (who is very upset with me) for his own reasons. I'm sorry I won't be making such a huge amount of money (huge for me anyway). I'm sorry that I failed (again) at changing my life for the better. Or did I? Even with all of this 'sorry', I feel better inside, less tense, less rigid. Lighter in spirit. You know I don't think I've laughed for 6 weeks? My sense of humor was checked at the classroom door every morning.

I made a few new friends, that's always nice. I made a few dollars. I learned some things about myself. Important things like 'some things are not worth any amount of money'. Peace of mind can not be bought, it comes from within. Next week I go back to my old job. The one where the pay is bad and the tips can be worse, but you know what? I smiled at that job. I laughed doing that job. I loved that "bad paying, menial labor, "waiting on tables" job. It had real people in it, not a disembodied voice on the phone. I can look in their eyes and smile and make their day. I can have peace of mind, starting right now.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #464
Big Yapper!!!!

Nothing is a failure, everything is a step in a new direction. Live/Laugh/Learn! Those are the important things. I am sorry you were so heavy of heart. The good part is, that is what insurance is for. To cover the things in life that happen. Let the others handle the calls, no reason to live life/working SAD!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #465
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Agreed Monica , on all of it. I do appreciated my life more now, it can always be worse.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #466
Major LCF Poster!

I think, if nothing else, you took that chance and found out whether this job would be good for you or not. You made the decision, and YOU hold the power...I think that's a great learning experience.

I wish you the best going back to your prior job.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #467
Blabbermouth!!!

You went for it and you tried. You did exactly what you said you would do: try it on and see if it fit. It didn't so you're returning it to the rack.

I'm so happy to see you back here
Old 09-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #468
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Jayce, I don't feel very powerful right now but I do feel I'm getting my MOJO back. Going back to OG is like going home again. It's closer to a dream job than anything else I've done. I work, I go home, I don't give it another thought...until I work again. That's almost bliss.

Dani, thanks! I'm happy to be back. I had to leave the boards for awhile, I was struggling so hard with the new job and I couldn't think of anything to say that was positive except "I'm positive I'm miserable". I should have known the stress eating alone was the first bad sign. I'm up several pounds and will have to work it hard to get them off. I can do it.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #469
Blabbermouth!!!

The mojo is what's important. It's what makes you, YOU! You have to be able to live with yourself day in & day out and if where you're spending 40+ hrs a week is excruciating, then what kind of life is that? You did you and that's all that matters.

I kinda left here too...I mean, what's the point when you have nothing "diety" to speak of You're not alone in the regain department...not at all. I have to relose quite a bit I think to even get to where I was at the beginning of the year
Old 09-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #470
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning Dani!

I'm having an all protein day today. So far one egg and one hamburger patty, lots of water...chicken later on. I have to say goodbye to the wheat again as well. It has crept slowly back into my daily diet, starting in earnest at Geico. No more of that. I don't know what my plan is but it's probably going to revolve around protein and salad for awhile...and lots of water. Looks like you and me got lots of work to do.

DH is coming around after a huge fight this morning. He said he would never have given my SIL 1500.00 for rent if he knew I was going to quit my job...talk about a low blow. I immediately went online and transferred 1000.00 out of my checking and back into savings where we got the original money. I told him I'd put the rest in when I got it. I was so mad! He said I didn't have to do that but you know I want this done and over and I don't ever want to hear about that again, ever. I honestly wish I had never applied for that job in the first place. If wishes were horses paupers would ride.

Here's hoping my Saturday picks up a little.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #471
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No sleep just yet....

The Hubs is asleep but not me. I will lie down soon but first I want to mark my food success today. I skipped lunch and made a huge romaine salad with carne asada, carnitas and red sauce for dinner. Yum! I had a few giant green olives for snack later on. AND I didn't forget my water today and drank as much as I could stand. AND I had no alcohol today which is a miracle because my old most recent job was driving me to drink, NOT a good thing. I do feel very sleepy and strangely light. I like the feeling and I need to remember that I like the feeling.

What a difference a day makes......
Old 09-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #472
Blabbermouth!!!

It sounds like you are doing well, already!! Something to be said for yummy meat and salad..it's my fave meal ever.

Well, you won't be alone in the wheat department... I think I told you that DD17 was dx'd with wheat & soy allergies? DD19 is following a GF eating style as well, she says she feels better.. The only one left here at home yet to convince is DH

OH, and I didn't tell you about our night out on Friday... I was feeling pretty ok'ish..my stomach was ever-so-slightly kinda achy in my lower left hand side... Well, I order a beer and not even half way thru, my tummy literally inflated like a beach ball.. by the time we got ready to order food I was feeling so sick and i had to actually unbutton my pants in a quest to find some relief and, no, it didn't help. ... I didn't order food, but told DH to go ahead... I have had this bizarro bloating thing for a couple months now.. sometimes it happens when I'm eating, sometimes I'll just be sitting there and I can feel it start.. I am hoping like heck that by turning myself around and getting control of my food that my body will quit rebelling!

I'm sorry that there was a fight with your hubbs..that makes me sad. Hoping that by now he is come around the bend and can understand why it is you chose what you did.

Yes, indeed...what a difference a day makes!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #473
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dani that's terrible about the bloating! You're going to have to start paying very close attention to what you're eating. It may have been the beer but that seems awfully fast. I can tell you this, I have been so bloated over the last few weeks and I know it is wheat. I'm glad to hear you're going to try to do without it, I think you'll be amazed at the difference. It took me awhile to notice but I did notice many things changed...bloating, depression and less cravings were the most important ones. Good luck!! I know you'll feel better.

Things are a bit better today with the Hubs, He seems to have gotten past it (for the moment). I'll take it. I really hate feeling tormented by anything. Perhaps I'm just mental. I went out this morning and did my grocery shopping for the week and didn't buy anything that would make me want to eat the wrong stuff. I'm having chicken and salad for dinner tonight. Breakfast was a two egg omelet w/ a slice of cheese and a couple of tablespoons of sauteed onion and bell pepper. I may have a small snack before dinner if I get hungry. Lots of water. I'm going to boil some eggs this evening when it cools off (if it cools off). The weather had been so incredibly hot the last few weeks...when will end?

Still don't have my schedule for next week, I'm supposed to call back after 3:00 today. whatever it is, I'm ready.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #474
Blabbermouth!!!

I think the beer just accelerated it. I was already "sort of" on the brink of a bloat and by the time the beer came, that's all it took. Of course, what I'd eaten early in the day is less than stellar ...I just know how painful it gets and I HATE feeling that way!!

In Chris' book there are options for wheat stuff...whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, etc...but you DON'T have to choose those things to be on plan, so that's a relief to me. Your food so far sounds yummy!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #475
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hiya Danielle!

I'm really glad you're giving Chris a try. I understand all too well the need to be really motivated. I know I had to go backward in order to go forward. Does he allow GF replacements for bread, like corn tortillas of GF bread? I love bread, waaay too much. It's best if I stay away from it for awhile. I found his book on Barnes and Noble for NOOK, that's what I have but I'm going to carry on a few days the way I've been going, to get myself totally under control. I know I said this already, but sitting at a desk to make a living is the worst 'stress eating' trigger ever. I knew this but I thought I could beat it. Nope, it beat me down or 'up' rather, by several pounds. Funny though, at home when I'm on the computer I don't feel 'compelled' to eat, unless I'm actually hungry.

Food so far is good. I'm thinking of a turkey and cheese roll-up for later if I get hungry before dinner. It sure helps to have a plan. The best part about salads is they fill me up and take a looong time to eat. I actually get full by the time I'm finished. Having the 'special' meat yesterday from the mexican cafe made it really yummy. Not just tuna and greens.

DH and DS are outside in this heat trying to put in an exhaust manifold into DS's old old car. Poor boy, he can't afford to buy a car and the Buick we gave him has 215,000 miles on it now. He's been driving it for three years. I wish I had the money to just give him a newer car but I don't so....at least DH helps him out. I know nothing about car repair (and I wouldn't want to).

How's your day going?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #476
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello again.

Just want to remark on how positive I feel right now, and wondering. Why cant I feel this way all the time, or at least more often? What is the trigger, silent or otherwise...that makes me doubt myself? Why do I have great success and then sabotage myself? Gaining back hard lost pounds. Why would I allow that to happen? I know it happens to a lot of us, I'm not alone in this but still...why? Why can't losing weight be like hammering a nail? Even if you stop hitting it the nail stays the same until you hit it again. Instead I (and many of my friends) are always re-covering lost ground, going back and starting over...like sitting on a memory foam mattress. Sure you make a good dent but the minute you get up, it goes right back to where it was.

I need to find something, a word, a feeling or a meditation that will keep me moving forward and will not allow me to go backward anymore. I'm grateful to be moving forward again but I really don't want to have to start over in a month (or a week).
Old 09-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #477
Blabbermouth!!!

I can eat corn tortillas, and he lists brown rice tortillas not sure I'll be trying those...... EVER. He also lists Ezekial breads/english muffins...I'd imagine that GF bread is probably ok..personally I do better without relying on bread it forces me to get out there and eat other things.
If you decide in the future to actually follow along with CP's plan I'd suggest actually getting the book to mark in or copying pages as you'll need them.. printed out the food lists and the 4 week cycle I'm going to follow.

The heat here is ridiculous..we're talking 105 still....in Sept. SMH... I'm so ready for some 80 degree weather
All I can say is I'm thankful that DH works in the auto industry and has the hook-up with his service mgr in the back to work on our cars... it's paid off more than once with DS's lil Honda. It's probably nice bonding time for your son and DH despite the heat, I really like that.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #478
Blabbermouth!!!

I definitely don't want to be restarting again in a month or a week, either!!!! I'm a tad scared about leaving in a month for our lil road trip... Really gonna have to find a word, or a reason, or somethin' to make sure I keep going, huh?
Old 09-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #479
Big Yapper!!!!

Were you able to get back on with Olive Garden??
Old 09-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #480
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Monica! Yes I was...I start back today! Funny, I just came from your journal! I had a better Sunday than Saturday. DH mellowed out somewhat and I've have stopped feeling totally guilty and have ramped back to 'partially guilty with a smidge of regret', mostly for wasting my time. I owed it a shot and if it was the one for me, I would be very happy about that, but it wasn't. DH stated that he wished he could quit his job on a whim. I reminded him that 90% of the time he loves his job and the autonomy it allows him, the creative outlet it provides and the 5 weeks of vacation a year that he has accumulated over the last 9+ years.

Dani don't be too worried about next month. One day at a time. When you go on your road trip you will feel strong and excited and you'll have a fabulous time! You'll have a month under your belt and be an old hand at your new WOE. Use it to stay motivated if that helps, if it doesn't help then put it away til next month. I'm excited for you!

Back to work today. I have an appointment to go into the restaurant an hour before it opens today and do the necessary paperwork to be reinstated. I forgot to ask if I'm supposed to come 'dressed to work". I'm going in uniform then if the chance arises I'll be ready to rock.

Another HOT day is coming today...can't say I'm thrilled about that but it can't go on forever, Autumn us just around the corner!

Yesterday I did really well on the carbs, next to none. I can see a huge difference in my ankles, the swelling is almost gone. For the last few weeks I've been coming home with ankles the size soft balls! I'm going to have salad for lunch today with some kind of protein. I don't plan on keeping the ultra low carb thing going for much longer but it is a great tool to whisk away excess water and get my cravings under control, including breaking the 'wheat' habit...again.

Going to have eggs and bacon for breakfast this morning!