Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #361
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jayce
Stats: 255/215/211 Mini-Goal
WOE: Calorie Tracking & Exercise
YAY on the ridiculously long background check being finished! Lol. Good luck with everything tomorrow.

Yea, the MSG thing is something I was reading about just yesterday b/c I got horrible dizziness and lightheadedness after drinking coffee with Splenda in it. I think it's the maltodextrin, but I'm also going to stop using Splenda and aspartame as much as possible.
Jayce is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #362
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Yippee!

Hot flash!

So, excited for you Blonde! I feel the same about certain meat/protein aromas. Wanna know something strange? When I began eating PHD style, I noticed I slowly, but surely gravitated to being very selective about protein. Now I eat eggs, turkey, shrimp, salmon & sardines. I very seldom have beef/bison. hmmm. wonder what that is about?
Thank you Sunday! Life as I know it going to change BIG time. I forgot about eggs, I love eggs!! I also love shrimp but I think I would need to practice on the sardines...and never gonna eat liver. I did buy and eat canned smoked oysters a few weeks ago...meh, not bad.
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #363
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Jayce,
My daughter is prone to migraines and she had to drop Splenda for Truvia. She began having regular headaches/dizziness. She discussed this with her co-workers at the hospital and found that a few other nurses had to quit Splenda for the same reason. I was very surprised because when we both began low carb about 7 years ago, Splenda was what everyone sweetened with. I began researching and found that many folks were having the same issues.

Some of the negative side effects for are:

Gastrointestinal problems
Seizures, dizziness and migraines
Blurred vision
Allergic reactions
Blood sugar increases and weight gain
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #364
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Yea!!! Blonde, I'm so having my fingers crossed for you. Good luck. I would say "Brake a leg", but I don't want to chance fate. Love ya.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #365
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
YAY on the ridiculously long background check being finished! Lol. Good luck with everything tomorrow.

Yea, the MSG thing is something I was reading about just yesterday b/c I got horrible dizziness and lightheadedness after drinking coffee with Splenda in it. I think it's the maltodextrin, but I'm also going to stop using Splenda and aspartame as much as possible.
Thanks girlie! I gavve up artificial sweeteners a few weeks ago, it was hard but I think way better for me. Good luck!!

Quote:
Jayce,
My daughter is prone to migraines and she had to drop Splenda for Truvia. She began having regular headaches/dizziness. She discussed this with her co-workers at the hospital and found that a few other nurses had to quit Splenda for the same reason. I was very surprised because when we both began low carb about 7 years ago, Splenda was what everyone sweetened with. I began researching and found that many folks were having the same issues.

Some of the negative side effects for are:

Gastrointestinal problems
Seizures, dizziness and migraines
Blurred vision
Allergic reactions
Blood sugar increases and weight gain
I've heard this too. I think walking away from chemically made foods is a good idea, as much as can possibly be eliminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Yea!!! Blonde, I'm so having my fingers crossed for you. Good luck. I would say "Brake a leg", but I don't want to chance fate. Love ya.
Thanks Lindy-girl! I'm excited and nauseous! Nice to know us older gals still have a place in the work force!
Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #366
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Thanks girlie! I gavve up artificial sweeteners a few weeks ago, it was hard but I think way better for me. Good luck!!

I've heard this too. I think walking away from chemically made foods is a good idea, as much as can possibly be eliminated.

Thanks Lindy-girl! I'm excited and nauseous! Nice to know us older gals still have a place in the work force!

Keep in touch. Love ya.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:09 AM   #367
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning, lady...how goes it?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #368
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My only chance at freedom is failing the drug test...and unfortunately that's not going to happen.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #369
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mornin' Jayce! It's going forward apparently as it was meant to do. I hope you're doing well. All moved in?

I had my health assessment and drug test yesterday (they took a lock of hair). I then took the GG's to lunch and their Mom (my DD) met us there. Employment starts in 4 weeks. I picked up an employees manual at the same time and have not even opened it. I am strangely 'weirded out' by this whole thing. I don't think I've ever had something fall into my lap so easily. Granted I did jump through a couple of hoops but nothing that everyone else had to do to get this job. I reached my hand out into the universe (metaphorically, I'm not completely nuts) and it handed me a job. Just. like. that.

I was still trying to convince DD the elder that this is what I want, last night as we watched Practical Magic with GG's. She said all the things that usually get me doubting myself..."money isn't everything if you're miserable', 'don't you want to do something passionate at this stage of your life"? "I can't believe you are purposely seeking this out". Firstly I don't know what my passion is, but my family probably comes as close as I can get...the other thing I'm passionate about is my home. I love my little house and it needs so much TLC with a little money thrown at it, so there it is. I can finally get the landscaping done (some hardscape) that I want. This job will allow me to spruce up my house with some paint, and maybe new windows or at the least, new window treatments. My kitchen is falling apart (45 year old cabinets) and my exterior needs new stucco, both my bathrooms are so out-dated....this is what I want to do. When I retire in several more years, my house will not be in need of fixing and I can enjoy and travel etc. Once we are retired, this will not be an option, no money per se.

I know I sound obsessive but that's me all over.
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Old 07-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #370
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: Low Carb ala JUDDD
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I think it is great you are able to get out and do this. Will you be giving up some babysitting time? Is that bothering DD?

It sounds as if you have fun expenditures planned that you will enjoy for a long time.....
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #371
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't think you sound obsessive but very smart. You go friend! I am happy for you! I spend lots of time with family, but I also like to take care of me! We all have desires whether it be for home or personal that need to be fulfilled. You deserve new cabinets and especially before you retire.

Something tells me that the grands will always be over at grandmas on her day's off.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #372
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Do what you know is what you want. Truly only you can decide. 4 weeks now till start date?? I am very excited for you!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #373
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The fates have decided for me, I passed the drug test (of course) and I've been formally and officially offered the job. Orientation begins on August 5th and I will be there with bells on. My life as I know it is going to change and I'm going to have to roll with it, and I will. What an amazing opportunity.

I'm going to miss the people I work with at OG, some I've know since they were in high school and now they're college graduates making an extra buck or two. It really is like family and they more than anything else are the reason I've stayed so long.

Seabreezes, Sunday, Monica...thank you for your support and kind words. I needed it.

Food wise I've been doing well but I am really confused about my woe, as in what is it?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #374
Senior LCF Member

Hey dear one, I'm so happy for you. A totally life altering event. I'm positive that this is the best opportunity for you maybe in years. Go with it. You said:

"I am strangely 'weirded out' by this whole thing. I don't think I've ever had something fall into my lap so easily. Granted I did jump through a couple of hoops but nothing that everyone else had to do to get this job. I reached my hand out into the universe (metaphorically, I'm not completely nuts) and it handed me a job. Just. like. that." The best things that ever happened to me came so easily. Funny isn't it. Usually it's the other way around. Be happy. And don't let other people give you negative vibes.

And speaking of daughters, DD Jenny called me today from Austin. She needs help with her DD Niki, the one with Downs. Mentally poor Niki has the mental capacity of a 4 yr old. She is 12 and just started her period two months ago. Can you say volital. (sp)

I ran down a source for some milk kefir and she is meeting her tonight to pick them up. Yea... That's what Niki needs. It has a lot of tryptophan and will elevate her mood and calm her down.

So proud of you. Stay strong!!!!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #375
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, well, Look at you! You go do that splendid opportunity! Can't wait to hear all about the new place and your first day.

Lindy, I keep missing you. LOVE, your stories though! I can envision everything you speak about. Now, that is a special gift dear!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:06 AM   #376
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats are in order, Blonde! Sounds like this was meant to be.

Like you said, this may be the perfect opportunity to provide you with a means to do all those things to your house that you've wanted.

As far as your WOE, I wouldn't stress yourself out about that too much...this is a major transitional period for you, so just be kind to yourself and eat when hungry. I think you'll figure it out when the time's right.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #377
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
As far as your WOE, I wouldn't stress yourself out about that too much...this is a major transitional period for you, so just be kind to yourself and eat when hungry. I think you'll figure it out when the time's right.
Yes! What Jayce said! This is time to relax, sleep late, play w/ grands, and lose any concerns about weight. Your rhythm will come back when you are ready.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #378
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Hey dear one, I'm so happy for you. A totally life altering event. I'm positive that this is the best opportunity for you maybe in years. Go with it. You said:

"I am strangely 'weirded out' by this whole thing. I don't think I've ever had something fall into my lap so easily. Granted I did jump through a couple of hoops but nothing that everyone else had to do to get this job. I reached my hand out into the universe (metaphorically, I'm not completely nuts) and it handed me a job. Just. like. that." The best things that ever happened to me came so easily. Funny isn't it. Usually it's the other way around. Be happy. And don't let other people give you negative vibes.

And speaking of daughters, DD Jenny called me today from Austin. She needs help with her DD Niki, the one with Downs. Mentally poor Niki has the mental capacity of a 4 yr old. She is 12 and just started her period two months ago. Can you say volital. (sp)

I ran down a source for some milk kefir and she is meeting her tonight to pick them up. Yea... That's what Niki needs. It has a lot of tryptophan and will elevate her mood and calm her down.

So proud of you. Stay strong!!!!
Lindy, great encouraging words. Thank you so much. Yes it's true, some things just come as they are meant to.

Your poor Niki, how confusing for her! You'll make it better, GO KEFIR!

Quote:
Well, well, Look at you! You go do that splendid opportunity! Can't wait to hear all about the new place and your first day.
Thanks Sunday! I hope to report only positive uplifting things about my new job. As for WOE I'm being really good to myself, eating right and staying away form the bad stuff. I've been hyper-sensitive to caffeine lately and I fear I need to cut way back. I've had a couple of sleepless nights and last night I dreamed about Zombies. I hate Zombie dreams.

I plan on loving the next three weeks with the GG's!

Quote:
Congrats are in order, Blonde! Sounds like this was meant to be.

Like you said, this may be the perfect opportunity to provide you with a means to do all those things to your house that you've wanted.

Hey Jayce, thanks! I agree, my house is gonna be lookin' good after a bit. I really hope I'm so busy at work that food will be in the background of my thoughts. The worst thing I face that triggers over-eating is boredom. I have to be doing something. Geico has an onsite cafeteria, and fridges and microwaves for it's associates, AND on site gym...and a full time Nurse. The place I'm going is a regional office and employes 2000 people.

The GG's are here this morning, DH is home again. The shingles are not as wide-spread as the first time but he does have nerve pain and seems to do well, then suddenly his color changes and he has to lay down. Poor man.

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #379
Major LCF Poster!

On-site gym??? NICE!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #380
Big Yapper!!!!

Blonde, I hope your DH feels better soon! Enjoy those GG's!!!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #381
Senior LCF Member

Hey dear, late checking in. I've been really busy today. In a good way. Weight is still staying the same 227. But I don't care. I am so healthy and happy that nothing is gonna faze me. You be the same..
Old 07-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #382
Big Yapper!!!!

How goes it girl???????
Old 07-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #383
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello Lady Friends! I'm doing well, had no internet service all morning, my don't we depend on strange cables to keep us happy and in the loop? It's hotter'an Kansas here the last few days, I can't keep my A/C running 24/7 but I'm sure trying to do so.

Monica DH stayed home all week and will try to go back to work on Monday. He feels pretty good in the morning but by mid-day he's in pain and has to lie down a bit. The shingles rash is not as bad as last time. Thanks for asking.

Lindy just hearing the sunshine in your voice makes my day. I'm so happy you're happy!!!

I'll check back in a bit, I've someone at the door.....
Old 07-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #384
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ON site gym?

So sorry to hear about your DH. I wish he could conquer this bad stuff. As far as no internet??? I need that to happen right about now.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #385
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Hey friend, checking in really fast - the last week has been cuh-razy busy but all is well! GEICO sounds incredible! I am stressing about having to find a new job if (when) we move to San Antonio. I want to reach out to the universe and hope I get a good one too! Talk to you later when my weekend begins. Soooo looking forward to a lazy one.
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #386
Big Yapper!!!!

Glad to hear that DH's sickness isn't as bad as last time. Is shingles not like chicken pox as if you have it, you are less likely to have it again? Have a GREAT weekend!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #387
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Saturday Morning!

It's 9:40am and I've been out of bed 35 minutes. Glorious sleep w/ minimal hot flashes! DH has a band gig at 11am so I was compelled to get up and make his breakfast...okay he made me get up to make breakfast. It feels so good to feel rested and...I have a mission. I need to process some more of our homegrown tomatoes. So far this summer I've frozen one and one half gallons of homemade tomato sauce, in quart freezer bags. I never learned how to 'can' although my Mom canned tomatoes and zucchini relish and pickles, I didn't hang around to watch the process. It was always hot and she was always grouchy at canning time.

Sunday and Monica, thanks for the good wishes. He was home all last week and I think (hope) he can work on Monday. I love having him around but he hogs the computerand cramps my style a little. I'm a doting wife so I dote way too much and I feel like I'm on constant 'stand-by". Monica shingles can be had over and over and even the vaccination doesn't guarantee no outbreak, only that it will be 'milder' than without the vaccine. Barbara Walters has had shingles three times. It definitely can be brought on by stress and DH had been a stress-head for awhile. He's better everyday.

Laura, so happy to hear from you, enjoy your lazy weekend! I want you to say out loud "the most perfect job is coming my way and it will be right where I need it to be". Repeat. Keep the faith. When DH started talking about retiring this year (he's since changed his mind) I felt a bit panicky. While we could do it and get by, it would be a squeezed and I've gotten used to not squeezing. We're not money rich by any definition but I've grown accustomed to buying groceries without worrying about being able to pay for them, or juggle the bills etc. We have no debt to speak of, we like it that way. I want to live like I'm established, not like an 18 year old on a food budget of $40 a week. I kept thinking...how can I make enough money to support us through this retirement? Geico came through. I'm astonished and grateful for the opportunity.

Food-wise I've tried to be Food Wise. I've been reading labels and looking to whole foods and staying away from franken-foods. I'm still off the diet coke habit (yay) and still trying to eat healthy foods. In all this hubbub about Eat NO grains, or Eat NO meat, or Eat NO fat, or Eat NO dairy...aye yi yi, confusing yes? My mantra has become Eat NO Chemicals. I think that's a great start!

Hope you all have a great Weekend!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #388
Senior LCF Member

Blonde, love ya. You are so funny. Next time you have tomatoes, make a big batch of salsa. Onions, tomatoes, cilantro, 2 T lemon juice and 1.5 T of sea salt. Put in quart jar and add filtered water. Close and sit in cabinet for 2 days. Then fridge for a few. It's fermented Salsa and tastes terrific. I made a qt yesterday and is so easy, and no canning equipment. Yea!! You can do almost anything with it. Mixed carrots, radishes, ginger, and onions. Or if you want the fermented nutrients you can ferment frozen vegs. I did it today. Corn, asparagus and yellow squash. Same salt and filtered water. One thing I noticed about fermented foods, my skin has turned so silky and smooth and I'm 66.

Sorry about hubbies shingles. They are the pits. My family is finally coming around about the kefir and kombucha. They can see the greater benefits in health. Try to get him on one of them. Or just research on Youtube - benefits of kefir and kombucha. Maybe it'll change his mind.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #389
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Lindy, you're pretty funny yourself! Your enthusiasm for kombucha and all things fermented is catching. And Yes, I love homemade salsa! I use lime juice and pickled jalapenos in mine, the family likes everything H-O-T. I love cilantro! It's something people love or hate. For me it's heady aroma makes me breathe in a little deeper. Good stuff.

DH had a day gig yesterday at the local Harley Shop. One of the casinos had set up a poker table to teach people to play that wanted to learn, so I listened to the band and played Poker for two hours. I don't think I would ever play it it the casino...too rich for my blood. I did win a couple of HUGE pots (all pretend chips) and lost everything a couple of times. I left and went shopping for some 'work' blouses and tops, found a few at Ross. They were print black and white, grey and black, white black and grey...etc. Are you sensing a theme? I have two pair of black dress slacks. I need to find a short sleeve, lightweight sweater for the ones that are sleeveless. It's been very nice wearing a uniform for the last several years...no thinking about style, just getting dressed and putting on the apron!

Yesterday I started recording carbs again, intuitively. I finished my day under 100 carbs and right on the money with calories, without really trying, just keeping a mental eye on my intake.

Today is a birthday party for the DD the youngers DH. 29. We're BBQ'ing hotdogs, having BBQ meatballs in a crockpot, nacho cheese and chips, beer and wine and of course cake. Not a vegetable in sight.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #390
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&type=1&ref=nf