LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LinCO
Stats: 168/151.6/147--5'9"
WOE: Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Diet Cleanse/Thrive
Start Date: May 2013
Crazy Sexy Diet 21 day cleanse

Alrighty, it helped me SO much to visit with the SB thread a few years ago. My girlfriend and I are trying this 21 day vegan cleanse and I think I will journal it here. I've been reading other people's blogs about the cleanse and it helps!

Please feel free to comment on my journal!

I have been investigating the protein involved with this plan. My friend is vegetarian already and will say things like, "Kale has protein!" I really like to lift weights and run; I also do P90X and stair climber. I'm concerned about bonking on this cleanse.

I've also read about Eat and Run, by an ultramarathoner who went vegan. He had an article in Runner's World about just this question of protein. However, I think he burns so darn many calories, the extra carbs in beans and rice, and the extra fat in nuts and seeds just don't matter.

My purpose in doing this cleanse is to kind of re-set my eating and health. Earlier this year, I did a fitness challenge with a team at our gym. When I join there in the winter, I like to take advantage of all the weights! I was disappointed the challenge was only loss of bodyweight-I was wanting to gain muscle and lose fat. I did get more muscle but by the end I was kind of a drag on my team b/c I wasn't losing much weight! And one team member lost 18 pounds!! I thought her health and her thyroid were better than mine or the other team member's.

I track on ****** and it looked like I was eating pretty much the same as when I lost on this board before. Finally I remembered I'd also gone on thyroid supplements then! And I have definitely had a sluggish brain as well as sluggish fat loss.

So my plan is clean out, reboot, go back to the health care provider afterwards and see about supplements. Then I'll probably want to go back to lifting!

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Hi y'all!

Last day of coffee for 21 days - I have never, ever stuck to no coffee. But I have had to take adrenal supplements for years now. My health care provider is a chiropractor who works primarily on metabolic and endocrine disorders. 16 years ago, I had a miscarriage when my oldest was 2. I was so sad!! When I went to Dr. C., she was like, you are low on progesterone. Let's see, I was 33 then. After following her advice, I had my second son and he is a total joy. Another two years, we had moved a few hours west and I wasn't taking her supplements. Another miscarriage (but also I had to fly to a funeral, which was hard on me). OK, back to Dr. C., had my daughter. I feel like I owe this gal my 2 younger kids! She wants me organic, organic, organic, no plastic.

Another thing I notice with her is when she gets my hormones straightened out, I can lose 3/4" off my hips in 3 days. When I see other pear shaped gals, I want to say, "Do you know you are estrogen dominant?" A basic change for this is to take 3 T. of ground flax per day. You can dial it back to 2T. later.

So my plan is to start tomorrow morning. Here is the cleanse meal plan for then:
B: lemon water, green juice (cucumber/kale/romaine/celery/broccoli stem/ginger/apple/maca powder)
S:Yerba mate tea- this is supposed to give you alertness PLUS healing
Then here's my big question-this cleanse wants you to just juice till noon but I think I'd bonk-so possibly the raw green protein powder on the shelf? A smoothie with that plus a few almonds and a banana?
L: salad, garbanzos-I tracked these yesterday and wonder if the carb count was right, wow. Really high. Probably will add sunflower seeds and may make tahini dressing.
S: Hmm, she recommends hummus w/ gluten free crackers. I may make lentil burgers.
D: Tomorrow I'm making sautéed kale w/ garlic, and quinoa. Probably need some beans. The family gets deer stew.

I will post my macros - it's my micronutrients I'm hoping will really change my life. During the fitness challenge this winter, I was averaging 1480 calories, around 33% fat, 7% alcohol, 30% carb and 30% protein, burning around 2600 according to the tracking. I'm also a little conflicted about following the cleanse more or worrying about the macros.

Thanks for reading! I'll talk thyroid soon!
LinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Hey, by the way, here is the vegan ultramarathoner, talking about protein:

And do yourself a favor, click through to look at the extreme good health of this cancer patient and cleanse developer:

Wow!! She still has cancer but it's not progressing! And look at that vitality! She is gorgeous!
Old 05-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Good to know, I broke the rules by posting links - oops - The guy is scott jurek, the gal is kris carr, guess you have to google them!
Old 05-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

BTW, here's what I've had so far today, my usual lower carb fare:

B: Water w/ lemon, coffee
1/4 c. all-bran, 1 scoop raw protein powder, 1/2 c. ff cottage cheese, 1/2 oz. sunflower seeds
S: 1/4 c. oatmeal, 1 scoop green protein powder, flax seeds, chia seeds, maca powder, yerba mate tea
L: romaine w/ turkey, ff italian, sunflower seeds
Old 05-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

OK then:

S: apple, 2 sl ezekiel toast, 1 T. peanut butter
D: 3 oz burger (we raise our own grass fed beef), romaine, italian
S: 1/2 c. shredded wheat

Cal: 1320, 27% fat, 29% protein, 44% carb

Tomorrow I start! More variety of vegetables, that's for sure!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

OK, tried my green juice! It tasted ok, mainly of celery, probably should have put more ginger in it.

But now I'm f-f-f-f-reezing! I would usually have had a nice hot cup of coffee!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1312.jpg (21.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

DEFINITELY feelin' this cleanse! I could barely get over that chill! Had my yerba mate, then I was hungry, so I went for the banana/green protein smoothie. Here about 10:45 I had a salad w/ 1/2 c. garbanzos, carrots, tahini dressing & sunflower seeds. I'm making lentil burgers now. Drink water!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

So how is the cleanse going? I took a nap from 1-3!! And I'm cold again! This is a symptom of detoxing. Had another lentil burger, made w/ the pulp from the green juice I made this morning. I feel like crawling back under the covers!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Mostly stayed in bed yesterday. Got a headache about 5 and finally took ibuprofen.

Feel ok this morning, down 1/2" off my hips!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Whoa now, I feel WAY better today! I could almost say I feel energetic! Not as hungry, I'm just eating a salad at noon instead of 10:45. I'm adding quinoa to the romaine, garbanzos, avocado and sunflower seeds. Making chili tonight with small red beans and quinoa, tomatoes, peppers, onions, grated summer squash, garlic. The family gets a side of steak.

Also my weight was already down 2 pounds, and I had drunk about 32 oz of green juice, so I think that means my weight is down 4 pounds!

Why am I so toxic? I ask myself this question! I buy some organic, but I'm probably 75% non-organic, so that's a big factor. I've also still got plastic in my food storage, so that contributes some. I had a lot of mercury fillings so I know that contributed.

I actually feel good enough to work out!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

I got a ton of housework done, I felt really good. Cooked chili, mopped all the downstairs, mowed the lawn, plus laundry. Didn't actually work out, though, I was a little worried I'd crash.

I'll try to weigh in before drinking the juice tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Sorry! I had written 2 updates and my modem was acting up!

OK, I am feeling *great*, shocked that I have made 3 days without coffee, and today didn't even remember to drink my yerba mate. This morning after my protein smoothie, I went running my usual hilly 3.5 miles - ran about 2, felt a little weak and didn't want to hit a wall. I had to grocery shop! We bought fruits & veggies!!

I ate 2 bowls of vegan chili last night and today just have my losses consolidated: down from 157+ to 155 and down a half inch off my trouble spot. This weight loss is significant because I just finished doing a 3 month biggest loser challenge and I was trying SO HARD to support my team by losing!!

I had ordered the diet book from my title (we're not supposed to make recommendations?) and it got here today. She's wonderful! She's really funny and really into learning to forgive yourself and treat yourself kindly. Check her out, seriously.

Let's see, meals a little different, no pm snack but some baby carrots. Dinner is minestrone w/ a side of salad-I made a balsamic vinagret and threw in a cup of steamed broccoli and a little quinoa. I need to drink more water!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

OK, 3 days, 3 pounds! 154.4 this morning. I don't know how long since I've weighed this little, 4 years I think. This is pretty significant, again, considering I just finished a 3 month biggest loser challenge!

Still feeling the need for more water, let's see what happens with that!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Newsflash! I am hungrier! I'm here eating a bowl of vegan chili at 10:20 in the morning!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Ate my early lunch and went running. I don't feel super robust but still can jog 2 miles and walk 1.5 fairly easily. Good thing I was at the park, I had to pee TWICE. Detox, detox!

Then I stopped at the post office and the ladies were like, "Wait, is that you?! You look so thin! You look great! What have you been doing?!" I see them all the time!

When we got home my daughter sliced into an organic watermelon we bought yesterday, holy wow, I held back for a minute and then thought, wait, it's organic! It does have carbs, I guess that was my thought. So delicious!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Check out this gorgeous pic of my dinner plate! I am getting charged up about eating vegan!! I've had trouble with estrogen forever--and the main thing I've been craving is dairy--now I'm reading 60-80% of the estrogen we in the US eat is in dairy products! Bad for girls and bad for boys too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1322.jpg (43.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Oh, have I complained about adrenal fatigue? I've had adrenal fatigue so long I'm exhausted! I don't understand why or what I'm doing - my doc says, "You're a mother!" But I tell ya, I'm thinking why not stick with this plant eating lifestyle and see if I can undo this adrenal problem!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

People!!! I'm down another pound and 1/4" off my trouble spot!! Woot woot!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

OK, I have a girlfriend doing this cleanse with me. Her sister called with a load of guilt - "Please drive 20 hours to help me yardsale our mom's stuff so we can sell her house," - and my girlfriend was up 8 pounds the next day.

Last night my dad called. He is very sick at age 84. I am up 0.8 so I guess I have 10 times less guilt than my girlfriend.

The lesson here is the role guilt and worry plays in your weight!

BTW, yesterday I ate really well - minestrone for lunch, salad w/ rice and beans for dinner - low calories - but didn't work out, just worked in the yard.

So this morning I ran. But I still worried about my dad and argued in my head with my brother.

Last edited by LinCO; 05-25-2013 at 10:21 AM..
Old 05-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Pulling weeds, probably shouldn't plant these veggie starts yet, we always have late frost.

I'm having red leaf lettuce, quinoa, garbanzos, avocado, pumpkin seeds and balsamic vinagret for lunch.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

I'm noticing my eyes feeling really itchy, which is not typical.

Had a lentil burger in the afternoon, and a salad w/ quinoa, cooked broccoli, lettuce, for dinner. Cinnamon tea, my favorite!

Very tired, but I think it's from worrying about my dad.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

OK my peeps! 6 days and FIVE pounds!! Triple wow!

I am tired and I think I'm getting to that adrenal fatigue thing. Slept in until 8 am! I'm actually glad this cleanse has 15 more days, and looking forward to seeing where I get to during that time.

Let me tell y'all this, too: I work out a lot, I have been pretty good on my low carb living since 2008, I eat clean like Tosca wants us too - you know, except for my coffee and wine, occasional salt binges - but I have this localized blobby fat and cellulite. My upper body is pretty thin - look you can see a rib sticking out in my profile picture! And what is the conventional recommendation? Diet and exercise! "There's no such thing as spot reducing"! I'm thinking this, based on my results so far: if you have localized fat, it might be that you are toxic and you need to find some way to detox.

For years I ate according to the fit for life cookbook, every spring. What didn't work for me about that, why it didn't completely detox me, was high glycemic fruit! On this cleanse, I'm having a mid morning smoothie with raw, vegan protein powder. My low carbing has saved my blood sugar bacon!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Hang on a second here, I am seeing muscle definition in my hamstring!! Me, the one with saddlebags!!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

I feel so mentally clear, optimistic and positive, why would I ever go back to eating dairy, drinking coffee, drinking wine?

I bought some tempeh to try out, and some vegan cheeses.

I've been getting protein from nuts, seeds, beans, quinoa and the raw protein powders. I'm averaging about 40 g less than I had been averaging. But I'm not hungry or binging!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Wow, made it a week - we always have ice cream sundaes for breakfast on Memorial Day, and look through old photo albums - love my family! Well, I tried one bite of my older son's sundae and felt like throwing up! I've been wondering if dairy is the thing I can't go back to!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Yes, I think it was the dairy, or maybe having it while drinking my green juice. I felt way better by about noon and jogged 3.25 miles!! Went to the carnival with my kids and rode a couple of the rides, although the weird feeling they give you is harder to shake as you get older! Also had a bit of my daughter's funnel cake - not like you can get your hands on that stuff everyday! But I didn't bother weighing in today.

Today I'm sticking to mega veggie!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

OK, it's clear that having your immediate family member get sick is very hard on your diet!

Yesterday morning, my dad actually said, "I'm afraid you may have a big chore ahead of you." Wahhh!!

No, I didn't eat off my cleanse because I was having a craving, I was just trying to get a lot of work done, think about my dad, and should've put more thought into what I was eating. I didn't eat enough for lunch and had a bowl of corn chex with almond milk in the afternoon, while I was trying to cram through some work. Then I thought, since I'd been hungry, I'd have beans & rice before running off with my second son to band practice - got hungry again and just ended up eating popcorn.

Neither of these were off limits, they're vegan - hmm, notice me jumping into corn, huh? That's supposed to be really hard to digest. Lots of people are allergic, I think.

Anyway, I did eat a LOT of calories and felt hungry most of the day.

And guess what, today is super busy also.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

OK, now, got stuck in a meeting all the way through lunch and by now have more of a cramp than hunger!

I am having corn again - veggie chili with corn chips and vegan cheese - hey, the vegan cheese is really good!!

The good news is my dad is now in the hospital, so at least he's being taken care of. No diagnosis yet.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Well, it's cancer that has spread a great deal. I may have to interrupt my 21 day cleanse to fly back to see my dad one last time.