Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LinCO
Stats: 168/151.6/147--5'9"
WOE: Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Diet Cleanse/Thrive
Start Date: May 2013
Lots of time on the phone, tried some lentil chips from the health food store and they were quite good! I am such a crunchy snack person.
LinCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

OK, that has to be the craziest thing ever - I have never done a frickin' cancer cleanse before, and halfway through it my dad gets diagnosed with cancer and dies! My DAD!

Anyway, as we were driving across country, I switched to just eating a cucumber, celery stalks and an apple for breakfast, oatmeal with some raw granola and raw protein powder, salad. Then I had to give up, started drinking a cup of hotel coffee - man, there's some lameass coffee consumed in this country! I did find a health food store in the town my dad lived in and got some great wraps full of sprouts etc. I have tried raw kale chips with a "cheez" coating made of cashews and nutritional yeast, wow. We did eat some fast food by the time this was all over.

Once I got back to Colorado, I got a green juice at Whole Foods and it was hilarious, can I just say you shouldn't try detoxing when you are driving wide open spaces with no bathrooms! The cleanse was happening!

So Tuesday was officially back off coffee, eating on the cleanse. Yesterday I got a headache by the evening and I think it was a going off coffee headache. How I could go through that just for drinking lames hotel coffee, sheesh. Today I powered through by eating a LOT, and some of it greasy! My husband made french fries AND onion rings, so I had some. I hate cleaning up after that nastiness, this is a huge reason for me to eat clean.

Oh, and I weighed in at the gym on Wednesday, thinking I'd be way up. I am 2.5 pounds above my lowest from a few years ago, so that's pretty good.

I have 2 weeks to be on this cleanse again until I have to go back to Virginia and do probate stuff and meet movers.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

I was just re-reading everything - I am on day 4 of restarting this and I feel like eating! I've been kind of tired also. I think I'm trying not to push too hard so my adrenals can heal up.

Today I had the green juice, the smoothie, a bowl of oatmeal, salad w/ garbanzos, kale chips, salad w/ pintos and salsa and corn chips.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

OK, day 5, I made sure to drink my yerba mate tea and a green tea, that's one thing. I am getting really tired of listening to my noisy juicer which takes like 20 minutes, so I bought a Nutribullet and am trying kale, spinach, cucumber and an apple in it. Kind of gross since you've basically got foamy green applesauce on top but I am eating that part with a spoon. I went jogging with a friend early this morning and felt fine-I think we jogged 2.5 miles and walked 1.

I'm kind of surprised I don't feel as tired or as hungry today! I think the day 4 hungries is a "thing."

So today I had the green smoothie, then another with spinach, banana, raw protein powder, flax and sunflower seeds. Now at 2:45 I'm having a salad with green leaf lettuce, bell pepper, cucumber, avocado, garbanzo beans and pumpkin seeds. I'm planning to try tempeh for dinner, with broccoli and those shirakai noodles (however you spell it)-they have been eaten in Japan for like 50 years and seriously have ZERO calories. Made from yam fiber.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Today I tried just spinach kale and cucumber first - it was green but edible, it did have cucumber sauce on top. I left out the apple. It's just SO MUCH faster than juicing! I've already had my spinach banana and protein smoothie by 9:30. Need to go grab my green tea.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

News flash! I am trying the "fast" she recommends 1 day per week. I made a double of green juice and am just now at 2:30 having the second. Had my yerba mate and green tea and feel fine! I'm really surprised! My stomach has said hello once or twice briefly but nothing major! Hope this helps me cleanse-I have been a little bloated since the shirakai noodles.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Hey, this cleanse is about getting over some wrong ideas! I had thought going off coffee would be so hard, but I've done it. Now I tried to fast - ok, some diets call fasting something harder than juice and smoothies - I thought I'd crash, I thought I'd have blood sugar issues - I lost 2.6 pounds in the last 2 days, and 1/2" off my trouble spots! You can SEE where the bloat has come off!! I have a thin upper body but the bloat all the way around 4" below my waist has vanished! I had gotten rid of that bloat before and then when I would sit down and a muffin top would show up, I was like "Do what?"
Old 07-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Salamander
Stats: 5'0"- 43
WOE: originally Atkins, now HCG
Start Date: Feb 08
Hi Laurie,

I really enjoyed reading about your cleanse. I found it by searching for detox cleanses. I've just started Dr. Alejandro Junger's Clean Program. I'm looking forward to getting rid of my abdominal bloat, and having more energy overall!

Thanks,
Sally
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Hey Sally! Thanks for stopping by! Hope it works for you - I've been really more mentally challenged, my preconceptions than actually having a hard time with this cleanse physically.

I have done 2 weeks twice now, and am starting my second week for the third time. Had a fast day last Sunday after getting back home, and managed to run 5.5 miles that night!! I have a friend who is leaving for her 30 year reunion later this week and she's been dragging me on these runs. I managed to do 3 runs this past week.

I've had to step up the amount I'm eating to work out this much, but the good news is last night I had that endorphin rush after we finished - how have I been sticking with the exercise when I haven't been having those? Man, it felt GREAT. Sweaty and happy.

My gf I started this with is on 6 weeks now and very happy. She is starting to get her adrenals and thyroid straightened out - I'll give an update when she goes to the doctor this week.

I am down a full inch still on my trouble spots- I would've paid money for that. I'm trying to do another day of fasting today but I'm hitting that mental, wouldn't I be happier drinking coffee thing. I need to spend some time trying on clothes, that's the best fix for my motivation.

Yesterday I made zucchini, black bean and corn enchiladas with Pace picante and vegan cheese. Definitely kept me from feeling too hungry.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Well, what do ya know, I made it through the fast day, had a salad for dinner, I think it was basically a raw day. I made this soup by blending 1 avocado, 1 orange bell pepper, some cilantro and water and it tasted good! I also had a smoothie so I wasn't food-free. The book has you drinking green juice all day but you can have smoothies and have some veggies for dinner.

This morning I am down the 5 pounds, which is kind of fabulous, considering when I've had to go deal with my dad passing, off the cleanse for a week at a time, I've helped myself to a full bag of popcorn for stress. You know the kind of eating I'm talking about.

Anyway, I am into my 2nd week and will be in town long enough to do all three. I'm hoping to drop another 4 pounds but that's kind of random, really it's the inches I care about. I ran my old usual 3.5 mile route that's pretty hilly.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Hi Laurie,

You're doing great! I admire you doing a fast day and then running...
Keep up the good work!

Also, my sympathies to you on your Dad passing.

Sally
Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much, Sally!! How is your clean eating going?

I am drinking my morning green juice and my mid-morning smoothie, salad for lunch - yesterday I had work that required concentration, so I cheated and had a coffee - then my coworker wasn't ready! Oh well. The coffee was really good. I noticed in the afternoon I have been getting a little cramp and I had to drag down to football practice (in 95 degree heat), so I gave up and ate popcorn! That's been my medication of choice for decades, if you have a funky tummy, eat popcorn.

But here's the good news! I ran this morning (we walked about 1 mile, we didn't go until 9:30 and it was too hot!) - and now I'm down 5.4 pounds! It's like breaking through a barrier! Usually the salt I ate would make my weight go up!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Hi Laurie,

You lost 5.4 lbs in one day? Where do you live? I would die in 95 degrees!

I'm doing okay on my cleanse. Made it through 10 days and lost almost 5 lbs, so that's great, but I still feel pretty tired. Day 9 I had energy and then more tired yesterday. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do more than 10 but maybe that's why they recommend going up to 21 days. I have a smoothie for bfast and dinner, and a regular lunch with the allowed foods. It is nice to not cook dinner every night!

I had my monthly massage last night, and I've been going to the same gal for like 15 years, so she knows me very well. As soon as she saw me, she said what's wrong? You don't have the same spark in your eyes as usual
Tonight I'm getting a chemical peel to get rid of some sun damage, so I'll be red and peeling all weekend... and being tired from the cleanse... I really like to torture myself

Take care, and i'm looking forward to hearing more good news from you!

Sally
Old 07-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Shoot, I was writing a reply and lost it by scrolling sideways twice. Duh!

No, I lost 5 pounds since starting this cleanse, but if you did too, I'd say that's FABULOUS. Since obviously we were both watching our eating before. I had tried SO HARD to lose this winter on a biggest loser challenge, and now to lose 5 pounds is a great thing. I knew I needed to do something different!

What I need to get back on, though, is being sure to start drinking my water, tea and green juice when I wake up. Today I waited and then I kept wanting coffee - well DUH, if I'd just had anything in my belly I probably wouldn't be craving!

You may be releasing something that you need to let go of, do you think? My gf has had a fungal infection surface since being on this cleanse, probably had it underlying you know?

Chemical peel in the summer?? I can't avoid the sun this time of year - I live in SW Colorado, the sun is strong here. I do need to do a peel myself. Hmm, I wonder if it'll put toxins back in while you are trying to get them out? Lots of water!!

Are you drinking green juice? I've made peace with making it every other day so I'm not getting super fresh juice the second day. I use 2 cukes, 4 leaves each of kale and romaine, an apple and 4 stalks celery. I'm not adding ginger but I had been. I just feel like this is a LOT of nutrition. This Sunday is my last planned fast day, I think I'll try to really do the green juice all day like she says - 8 am, 10, noon, 2, 4 then blended soup for dinner. That's a lot of cucumbers, huh?

Wait, Sally, how could you lose? Your stats are so petite!! You must be very small boned!
Old 07-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

OK, here I am on my last week, going to do a lot of green juice for this fast. I'm going to my herbalist tomorrow and we'll see what she says about how much I've detoxed.

I'm actually getting to where I have a plan! I've been reading Thrive which is by a professional Iron Man athlete who eats vegan. I wanted something that addressed energy for working out! But he uses way too much fruit - here I am on a low carb board! I have already learned how helpful low carb is for me.

But the other thing he says is if you exercise you increase the turnover of cells in your body, so that in less than a year you will have all new cells made of what you've eaten in the meantime. I'm thinking why not dedicate that much time, which will take me through my 50th bday, to staying organic and definitely off dairy! Why not take that time to stay really low on coffee-maybe the 2 days a week I have to work in the field. Stay off alcohol-of course, I did this for years and years, since my kids are 4 years apart, but I was suckered into that red wine is good for you. Bah.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out is afternoon snack - it's a MUST for me - when I was on weight watchers, I would have a V8 and a turkey sandwich. I've been trying to think it should be carrots and hummus, but I keep thinking that's too carb-y. That's the crazy sexy afternoon snack. Thrive says usually a smoothie or energy bar (made with dates) for afternoon snack: OBVIOUSLY too sweet. Maybe a green smoothie. Or it does have afternoon snack ideas like zucchini pasta - have I written about that? So delicious!!! I've been just grating a zucchini and topping it with tahini sauce - tahini, raw garlic, lemon juice and water. Really amazing how good it is.

Oh, I'm looking through his book and I realize his burgers for afternoon snack! They are kind of crazy - soak raw almonds 4 hours, then put in food processor: 2 cloves garlic, 1 c. almonds, 1/2 c. ground flaxseed, 2 T. balsamic vinegar, 2 t. coconut oil. This makes 2 and you can just eat them raw. So make these and eat in romaine lettuce? Maybe!
Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Wow, definite improvement! I can halve the adrenal support and only need 3 instead of 5 thyroid supplements. Have to double my B vits, though, often a necessary supplement with lots of vegetables.

She recommended B vits, magnesium-which I had on the shelf and had started to take-and sea salt. I admit to craving salt but not adding it to my food.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

People, seriously, I completely recommend this cleanse!! I went through that green juice thing on Sunday and now my tight khakis fit!! Woot!! I have worn them *once*.

I got out my jeans from college and that's my new goal. I can totally pull them on but not come near to buttoning.

The other thing I recommend about this cleanse is all the weight isn't coming off of my chest - when I was eating more dairy etc but low carb, yikes, you can't even talk about having nothing left. Now I am thinner on the pear part without losing any more up top.

And the food is DELICIOUS!! Yesterday I made the oil & vinegar recipe from The Joy of Cooking - I used red wine vinegar, olive oil, sea salt, dry mustard and raw garlic - oh man, I didn't want to put any other flavor in my mouth after I finished my salad for dinner, I was enjoying the salad so much.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

OK, y'all, I am actually getting to the END of my 21 days-this is day 21! So I did 2 rounds of 12 days and 1 round of 21.

My girlfriend who had been literally dragging me on long runs left last week for her 30th HS reunion and I've only taken short runs since then. I think I was having trouble staying on the cleanse (read: potato chips) while I was exercising that much. Then I went to that doc about my adrenals and she was like you *can't* run that much, so this week I've been yoga, 2 x went for a walk, standing pilates.

Now that I'm done with the cleanse and I think I'm detoxed, I'm going to see if I can use the same principles and work out more and lose some more flab. This here is big news, because I'd spent a LONG time thinking it was so virtually impossible to lose that if I could get to where I am now, I'd be satisfied.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Hi Laurie, (ok this is long!)

Wow, you have done soooo well! Reducing medications, fitting into the khakis and not losing the 'girls' I wish more people could read about your experience (not sure how many read this section) because I don't think people really understand a cleanse and how beneficial it is. Maybe we could start a post cleanse check in?

I made it through 2 weeks of my cleanse, right when I was starting to feel good 'normal'. I'm still applying the basic principles- a fruit/veg smoothie every morning and a smoothie most evenings for dinner. It's just easier than worrying about what to make for dinner every night (or every other night, as I tend to cook extras)- at least in the summer. My DH is left hanging most nights, but he's cooperative and doesn't mind picking up something for himself if necessary.
What is unbelievable is that I can sit next to him while he's eating fried chicken and potato salad, or grocery deli Chinese food, and be perfectly happy with a protein drink

I ended up losing 4-5 lbs. I started at 107.2 and got down to 102; now I'm bouncing around 102-103. Kinda bummed because a couple years ago, I did HCG and got down to 99... but I wasn't exercising and didn't have good muscle tone. My butt was flat and saggy. Since then, I've been doing workouts targeting the glutes like Tracy Anderson, tonique and Brazil Butt Lift and also barre workouts so I should expect the increased muscle is keeping me at this weight.

I went 19 days without caffeine Yesterday, I broke that with an Americano since I met my BFF for coffee and she works at Starbucks. It was such a rush! Then we went to Costco and I bought a Keurig (for my DH's birthday- but really for both of us)... I'd been thinking about it for awhile. It's really great to just have one cup... when I brewed regular coffee, I always felt like I needed to drink 2-3 cups as to not waste it! The taste would vary from pot to pot. I will probably only drink a cup on the weekends and the occasional Starbucks on my way to work as a treat. I don't NEED coffee at work- I just drink my smoothie in the AM and sometimes have tea. Our café offers free spa water and they have different varieties everyday!

Wow.. enough about me! Must be the caffeine talking...

I'm so happy that you are enjoying making your own salad dressing and such. Here are some foods that I have discovered are great: quinoa, kale, hemp protein powder, unsweetened almond and coconut milk. Please share yours!

I'm going to check out the Thrive book, sounds very interesting!

Take care and keep up the awesome work!

- Sally
Old 07-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Hey, WTG Sally!! Five pounds is nothing to sneeze at, and it's almost 5 % of your weight!! That is AWESOME!!

I'm actually below my lowest body fat according to the hand gripper thing at our rec center - WHOOT!! My lowest had been 22.3% but today I'm 22%!! I'm a lot more interested in bodyfat than weight-I do weight lifting and look much better (I think) - otherwise I can get this skinny stick like arms.

I've got one funky month before the kids are back to school and my schedule becomes more consistent. This last month I was up and down - running a lot and eating potato chips, then not exercising a lot but eating pretty close to my plan. Now that I'm done with the cleanse, I want to stick to eating vegan but eat a bit more and work out more.

I tried making one of the "pizza" recipes from Thrive and it really should've been called bean pie, but it was SUPER yummy, I mean SO GOOD. Tonight I'm making another - there are 9 pizza recipes in there. Adzuki quinoa crust.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

OK, I'm staying on it and I'm exercising! Bought a new pair of running shorts in sz Med & they are kind of big!

Went running after green juice and a coffee "lite"-I am using this coffee substitute called teeceeno and just about 1.5 T. of coffee grounds. I felt SO GOOD. When was the last time you had an endorphin rush? This is what got me to be a running junkie! But i am realizing I've been exercising cuz I "have to," not because it's making me feel good. I think this is partly the nutrition of this meal plan and partly the extra B vitamins I'm taking. I ran Friday night also and I was really surprised at how I wasn't dragging and just jogging, I was feelin' good!

This morning I finally had the ingredients to make the apple pea shoot smoothie from the crazy sexy book and I was so shocked at how good it was! An apple, a cup of pea shoots-bought them locally grown from the health food store - half a cucumber, half a head of romaine and I added some raw meal protein powder and some sunflower seeds and just blended it all up. Oh man was it yummy!

That kept me until mid afternoon, then I had my salad with romaine, bell peppers, cucumber, red onion, garbanzos, jicama and vinagret. Dinner was a slice of the "pizza" with some vegan cheese and some chard from my garden. So this was all vegan but not raw. Oh, and rye toast.

I'm starting back to work tomorrow for the school year (can you believe going *back* in JULY?) and I have this same food packed for a long day, except the chard. Need more water, too!

Last edited by LinCO; 07-28-2013 at 08:11 PM..
Old 07-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Folks, I am down into uncharted territory!! I am leaner than I've been in like 19 years-at least since I had my first kid. July 25 I was 153.6 and 22% fat, today I was 151.4 and 21.6%.

Yesterday I did a whole day of green juice, which is how you are supposed to do the "fast". I didn't work out much, actually didn't push myself to do much besides watch the kids and tend the garden-and a little Pilates-but I felt fine. Had that blended soup of a bell pepper, an avocado and some cilantro. Didn't feel hungry going to bed, but I did kind of go to bed a half hour early.

This morning I felt a little hungry but not much. I had that smoothie, apple, cucumber, romaine and pea shoots. If you haven't tried it, TRY IT!! It's SO delicious. I throw in a little maca powder and 1/4 cup sunflower seeds. Then I had my regular smoothie with spinach, a banana, protein powder, flax, macs and sunflower seeds. Salad for lunch. Dinner was a piece of that bean pie pizza from the Thrive book, and some broccoli slaw.

So I went to the gym this afternoon and I'm down some more! Plan is to stay eating like this, probably with the weekly fast day.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

I'm still eating right and I have to say it is SO worth it! I had my son's football scrimmage to go to, and it was going to get chilly, so I pulled some capris out of the closet-they fit fine! Love it!

I had to give back the Thrive book but am wanting to buy my own. I googled his pizza recipes and made one with a grated beet and raw sunflower seed crust - like what? I just topped it with grated zucchini and a little chopped onion, and some nutritional yeast. It sounds weird, I know. We also had corn on the cob and some sautéed yellow squash, and after I ate I felt like I floated up the stairs. I feel GREAT!

Here's what I haven't tried yet: his recipes for working out. At first I thought really bad idea, they focus on dates, high carb. But I haven't been running much and am going to start back up now that the kids are in school. I think I will make his energy bites and try eating one before running.