Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Journals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/)
-   -   Getting through weight loss & unemployed (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/804068-getting-through-weight-loss-unemployed.html)

giggles4me 05-13-2013 12:47 PM

Getting through weight loss & unemployed

I have decided to start this journal to help me cope with being unemployed and gaining weight. I have been out of work since April 29th.
The first week was great, got done all the little stuff that I had been putting off doing. But I have also started eating all the junk food I want (not good). I have gone out on several interviews and after each one I stop for fast food, knowing that I will be going home to an empty and lonely place.
I have reached out to all my friends and old coworkers to get that networking started. I have found all the job hunting sites and visit them several times each day.
Today I called my sister, who lives out of state and chatted with her a bit, but as you know most of your family and friends work all day and really don't have the time to chat. She did advise me to get out of the house each day even if its to go for a walk or to the library.
So after getting off the phone with her and checking job sites I did just that, drove to the park and took a walk along their trail. Took my headset with me to listen to some upbeat music. I have to say I did feel better for a short time, but the blues of the unknown returned once I was home for a spell.
Oh and the food commercials on TV just make you want to run to the store and buy all the junk food stuff that you do not have in your home. I did not do this!!!!
I have decided to start tracking my food intake and see if I can drop some pounds while looking for work. You see when I went to put on my dress pants for an interview I could not fit into them. My last job let me where jean and t-shirts and I always wore one size bigger so that I would be comfy at work. I also realized I do not have any dress shoes either. I have been wearing nice sandals but my sister said I would do better with some dress shoes. You see I have alway worn sandals or tennis shoes never dress shoes. But do I really spend the money to buy shoes?? Who is going to be looking at my feet at an interview...

giggles4me 05-13-2013 01:10 PM

so my food intake for today so far:
1/4 oatmeal with 1tsp brownsugar
1 c of coffee
1/2 c cottage cheese with strawberries
6 choc covered peanuts
1 dinner roll
1c coffee

I know I need to eat some protein for dinner..

giggles4me 05-14-2013 10:16 AM

today seems to be a better day. I did get a call back from a place that I applied and interviewed for. They are going to call me later today and see if we can work something out. I do hope so.

weight: 139

Food:
coffee
oatmeal/brownsugar
cottage cheese with strawberries

Yennie 05-14-2013 10:23 AM

:jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:
I am so glad for you! Absolutely best of luck with your phone call.
I'd been reading your posts on the other boards & I felt so bad for you.
I lost my job right after my son was born. Thankfully I got a bit of a severance pay and was able to pick up more hours at another place, then found something else as well. But those were a few pretty scary weeks, new baby at home & suddenly I have no job to go back to!
I agree with your sister - trying to get out of the house at least once a day, walking will make you feel good & help lose weight as well.
Best wishes to you, I hope to read that you're back to working soon.

giggles4me 05-15-2013 06:16 AM

I never got the phone call yesterday, but he told me not to worry if I did not hear from him due to lots of meetings. I did get out a bit, had to stop by the store for some laundry soap and got me a cup of Starbucks. I know I should not have spent the money, but I did skip dinner so that would it for today. I also got my electric bill, it almost doubled since I have been home, boy did that hurt.

food:
1/4 c oatmeal with 1 tbl brownsugar and yes I use a measureing spoon, other wise I would go way over with the brownsugar
coffee with 1tsp coconut milk.thought I would give this a try and see how it works

after checking my phone messages on my house phone( I use my cell phone for job hunting and my house phone for all other stuff) it turns out my son's cancer doctor has been trying to get a hold of him to do some more test. I called my son to let him know and now I am waiting to hear back from him as to what type of test his doctor wants to run. Sitting on pins and needles with both of these calls...

zipp2play 05-15-2013 06:38 AM

OH my thoughts are with you. Let us know on the JOB! My prayers out to your son!

Yennie 05-15-2013 09:14 AM

Prayers to you and your son for the job and the medical treatments.
I hope it all works out.
Keep posting!!

giggles4me 05-15-2013 10:59 AM

My son final got a hold of his doctor and he wants to run another CT scan this month. My son was diagnosed with stage III cancer 4 years ago at age 22.

As for the job, I got an email from the gentleman and he offered me the job at a much lower pay, but I took it. First it's close to home and second it's still in my field of work. He did state that I can get raises as time goes on. So I answered his email back YES and when do I start. Now I am waiting on him AGAIN.

As for lunch: I was able to get a Whopper Jr at Burger King for under 2.00 while I was out for a break.

I think this being out of work is helping me to learn to pinch pennies(which is a good thing). I have a habit of spending when not necessary.

Yennie 05-15-2013 05:20 PM

:jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Way to go on the job offer.
Even if its a lower pay, as you said, you can get raises and also maybe quietly look for something with a higher pay? Sometimes taking lower pay at an awesome place is better than higher pay at a lousy place.
:aprayer: for your son.

giggles4me 05-16-2013 05:03 AM

ok so I replied to the email with the job offer and still nothing back. I think I will send him an email today to make sure he got my response that I do want the job. Would really like a start date.
I plan to make this a good day, feeling hopeful..

Food:
1/4c oatmeal with brown sugar
coffee with coconut milk, not sure if I should be using coconut oil.. Posted a new tread about this in the JUUDD section.

Weight is still at 139, at least it's not going up.

Did have a yogurt for dinner last night. really need to get some more protein in..

giggles4me 05-16-2013 10:00 AM

it's now later in the day and still no resonse from the gentleman who made the work offer. I did send him another email this morning. If no answer by 4pm, I will have to call him. I really need to know when I start.

Lunch: Orange chicken, yep fast food but did not get a ton of it and the rice I feed to my Great Dane Lucy.. She loved it..

giggles4me 05-16-2013 04:14 PM

I finally called the gentleman and he said that all paper work was sent to their main office and that it would take a week to 10 days before I start. Feel better that I got to chat with him.

Food:
had some pork for dinner, at least I got more protein in today. not sure pork was the best, will see how much water I hold from it. Really full right now. off for my 2 mile walk..

Yennie 05-16-2013 09:55 PM

Congratulations again on finding a job and having a start date. With that stress relieved, wouldn't it be awesome to focus on yourself for the next week to 10 days, maybe shed a pound or two and start your new job feeling great! I'm very happy for you.
Still sending positive thoughts for your son. Mine is only 3 and I can't imagine if anything were to be wrong with him at any age. Do they ever stop breaking your heart over imaginary (or real) worries? I just want to make the world right for him.

giggles4me 05-17-2013 05:34 AM

Thanks Yennie, Nope you will always worry about them cancer or no cancer. He has gone through so much but is doing great. We are always thinking positive, so positive that he bought his first home last month. He is such a strong person.

So I have the job offer and now have to wait for them to process the paperwork(background check and all that junk), why can't I relax??

Food
1/4 oatmeal with brown sugar
coffee with coconut milk

Yennie 05-17-2013 10:05 PM

Because its not a done deal yet (although it essentially is) and because you're still amped up & running on adrenalin. You'll settle down in a day or two.
Really pleased to hear about your son. :)

Yennie 05-20-2013 09:21 PM

Jeanne,
How are things?