Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #211
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
My weight this morning was back down to 155.4# but, diet wise, completely off the rails. Emotional eating is NO EXCUSE but there was some soup and a bagel in my morning, then some popcorn and a cupcake tonight. I am broiling potato wedges right now but it seems fruitless since I just ate a cupcake. However, the good news is that when I put this all into my calorie tracker, I'm still below what an UD would be for JUDDD, so I'm thinking I'm going to eat to my UD cals and go back on hack tomorrow. Or just do a PDD and see what Sunday brings. I love the flexibility of this, and knowing that just because I went "off plan" today, I"m still "on plan" with JUDDD and I won't spend a week undoing my cupcake.
I love potatoes, and I love JUDDD.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilovelucy
Stats: 229/194/129
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 07/03/2010
hello ladies I have been reading all the ph links all week .I'm on day 2 ph w/ rice and only water so far down 1# this morning .today 1 red p. 2 bowls white rice w/ hot and sour soup without corn starch so I figure just like broth .Hope I see a drop tomorrow.I have lost 30# in the last five months doing low carb 10 to 20 carbs a day. What I'm wondering is about splenda in coffee or tea with out hc if it's ok or do I need to wait the 4 hrs . and yenne you said you have a diet coke a day with a meal or wait 4 hrs . Also crystal light drinks. I'm thirsty for more than water.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

I drink Diet Pepsi, and I will have it with a meal. The thing you need to avoid is fat with the potatoes or rice. So as long as the drinks don't have fat, you're fine.

I have HWC in my coffee each morning, but wait 4 hours after drinking it before I eat potatoes. Sometimes. Sometimes I don't wait that long.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #214
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilovelucy
Stats: 229/194/129
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 07/03/2010
Thank you but what about splenda ? is the hwc that I need to worry about right.
ilovelucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

154.3# this morning - go figure. Seriously, could JUDDD & potatoes be any cooler?
I'm off for 2 days - social obligations and I am CHOOSING to enjoy the accompanying nourishment...or over-nourishment, LOL.
Then, depending on how unfriendly the scale is on Monday morning I'll decide whether I want to hack for a few days again or...??? Either way Monday will be a DD/PDD so it will give me a day to decide. Then Tuesday back to the gym.
Speaking of the gym - my new gym posted on their Facebook page last night that they're hoping to be open in 3 weeks! The construction is all done, they're just waiting for the shipment of equipment. In the meanwhile I can still use the facility in another town, its just that its only convenient to get down that far once a week while the monkey is in school.
Been scoring some major farm improvement goodies off Craigslist lately. Obtained some awesome stall mats for CHEAP last week-end and this week-end we scored 200' of 4' No climb horse fencing for about 50% off retail. I think I need about 400' of it but this will really, really help! I need to re-fence the western fence line - the one those *#^$ steers kept climbing last summer. Its hot wired still but we've actually got everyone pulled up to the top while we let the bottom pasture rest. I'm fertilizing it by hand (well, walking with a spreader) - 4 acres to hand fertilize...good exercise. Then we're supposed to borrow my dad's tractor and I want to take out the fence, rip up the bushes that keep shorting out my hot wire and leaning on my fence, crushing it, then rebuild the fence with whatever is salvageable and this new fencing. A solid week-ends worth of work if we can ever get the tractor up here. UG! I need to buy my own dang tractor but I also need to get my barn up first.
Unfortunately my red mare (the older one) did not recover after her surgery. So we're bringing her home from her yard to live at home. She's going to get to hang out with the steers, the pony & my old man. She's a bit of a princess so it will be interesting to see how she takes to "roughing it". I'd like to breed her and have her foal as my next prospect but, right now, I don't have anywhere for her to foal. So get the barn up and start looking for baby-daddies...there are some gorgeous stallions up in B.C. I'm pretty excited about!! And my other little girl, the new TB mare, is coming along GREAT so I still have 2 horses to ride...because who could function with just one? I'm looking at re-homing my son's pony - he's just not interested in riding her. He only wants to ride the big horses. Today I asked him why and he said because they go faster and jump higher. Bearing in mind the only jumping he's ever done is to trot over ground poles but still. Apparently the pony is too boring. I love having her but if some other little kid can use her, I'll take her back when she's outgrown but I think the hubby is a little shirty at the thought of having 4 horses... But he was fine with having 4 steers so I don't know what his deal is!!! (Yes I do - 2 of those 4 steers are currently in the freezer - a place our horses will never be so therein lies the problem. He likes steak, not road apples ).
Old 01-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #216
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Craigslist is great, isn't it? That, ebay, and Goodwill keep me well stocked on most things at a fraction of the cost of retail. I love a good deal!!!

Wow, you are a hard worker, Jen. It's great that so much of it keeps you moving and active, and has those physical benefits.

Enjoy your events, the food, the company. While I'm not sure I'll ever attempt the PH again, I enjoy hearing about your results.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
That's a good round-up of what's happening and it all sounds as if it's moving in a good direction for you and your family.

You're only 8.3 lbs from your stated goal - how is that.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/155/136, 5'4", 60yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Sounds like a great country living to me, Calamity Jane! Funny too!

I spent a weekend with friends and yesterday we had some friends over, all so very enjoyable. Net result, I'm up 5 lbs, ! I knew I shouldn't have weighed this morning! Back to DD and PH
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

Struggling

So I've totally fallen off the potato bandwagon and I'm having a really tough time getting back on board with anything. I guess if nothing else, I'm kind of Fast 5-ing it because I keep trying to have DDs that go completely off the rails in the evenings. I'm about 2.5# above the low in my tracker, which I'm okay with because 1) I suspect there was some hydration issues that got me that number and 2) Good God it could be worse! I've been holding pretty steady there so I'm pleased that at least I'm not gaining!
I just can't seem to get it under control and I've been toying with going off JUDDD again for a while. I'm mentally exhausted. And since I can't seen to stop stuffing my face, maybe a LC stint would be good for a while, I can stuff all the cheese and meat down my gullet that I want.
I'm seriously eating to the point of pain. Why? I don't know but its like i need that fullness to validate...what? At least these days "eating to the point of pain" takes a lot less food (thank you fasting) than it used to. But I can't figure out why I'm all of a sudden doing this again. I'm taking my ptero, 300mg a day now since I've been having troubles.
Tomorrow is a busy barn day, need to haul 2 to the farrier in the morning then home, change vehicles and off to the barn to ride the younger redhead in my lesson. It should be easy to fast well until 4pm with that schedule. I already have tilapia thawed, and some Costco broccoli and cauliflower ready to toss in to be roasted. It should be a great, DD dinner, filling and such. I think if I could get one, solid, good DD under my belt, I'd feel better about how miserable this has been going.
I've also had the thought to give up the dieting for now, do more of a maintenance plan, and focus on fitness/strength training. Maybe thats why I'm so tired right now - I can only focus on diet or exercise, not both?
Old 02-05-2014, 12:26 AM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Totally understand where you are coming from! Just yesterday, I was saying to DH that I wonder if I'll ever be able to eat to my heart's content without getting the damage report next morning (while he was enjoying an avocado salad and red wine as starters!) I seem to be thinking about food all the time! So annoying I've been at this WOE for almost 2 years! Initial 4-5 months were great then everything slowed to a snail's pace. Unfortunately, the weight I put on during the vacation seems to be the hardest to come off!

I have been replacing a meal or two here and there with potatoes as an intro into full PH but everyday I say maybe I'll start it tomorrow. Yet, I am finding it increasingly difficult to stay close to the JUDDD numbers. I might have to go back to LC again.

Yennie, Just curious, with so much physical activity that you do plus running and wgt lifting, I am really surprised that you are having weight problem at all! You must be fit as a fiddle and are probably all muscle. What exactly is driving you to want to lose wgt? I was just plain obese and unfit, along with high BP and pre-diabetic. I had to do something as I was a stay at home couch potato.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #221
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I've also had the thought to give up the dieting for now, do more of a maintenance plan, and focus on fitness/strength training. Maybe thats why I'm so tired right now - I can only focus on diet or exercise, not both?
I'm increasingly of this opinion. Plus, altho' it wouldn't suit many people's personalities because they just want their weight loss in as fast a time as possible - I'm more and more thinking that people need to protect their metabolic rate by cycling their weight loss.

WLM for 4-6 weeks then maintenance and reverse diet for 2-4 weeks (depending on personal details/circumstances)*. Rinse and repeat. I'm very uncertain about the cycle lengths but my observation is that altho' this would be quite slow, it wouldn't have the typical degree of attendant metabolic adaptation issues and would allow more graceful incorporation of exercise. And, in the long haul, WLM takes a long time anyway.

All we need is a nicely-controlled trial.

*Lots of WOE for which this would not be practical, possibly, but JUDDD and other IF allow this quite nicely.
July 2014 Life, eh! In March I had a DXA scan which revealed very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional and normal service may resume at some point

Last edited by SlowSure; 02-05-2014 at 12:52 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #222
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm feeling it too, Jen. Just like you describe. Like I'm not sure I can even handle dealing with dieting any more. It's been 2 straight years for me - longer than I've ever stuck with anything EVER, so it would stand to reason I'm having some serious diet fatigue.

......BUT.....

I really really do want to get the rest of this extra weight off. And to do that, I must watch my eating. So with JUDDD I stay. Not quite as diligently perhaps as before, but still trying.

Take a break and focus on muscle building if that feels right. I keep hearing you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Not quickly anyway. I wonder. I'll be interested to hear what you ultimately decide. in any event.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 02-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you ladies. I appreciate your chiming in - I hate to sound like I'm whinging and I know JUDDD will work if I can work JUDDD but right now, I'm having a tough time. Today's DD was only ok. It was not 20% by any means, probably still in WLM though so I'm happy there.

If I'm going to be totally honest, I'm exhausted. And when I'm tired, I want comfort food (popcorn, fast food, etc.) The monkey is going to spend the weekend with Grandma and Great Grandma which means Momma gets to sleep until I wake up both Saturday and Sunday. I'd be willing to bet a substantial amount of money I sleep until noon on at least one of those days.

I know I'm not getting enough sleep - probably 6 hours a night if I'm lucky. I stay up too late trying to get all the things done I can't or won't do while he's awake. Some because I just can't do it with his "help" and some because I refuse to plunk him in front of the TV so I can' do dishes or laundry. So I do it after he's in bed. And I work on work stuff, research, read, etc. So easily up to 12am. Then I'm up by 6 or 7 to either go to work or because he's up. Hubby is working swings right now which means he's home around 1am and the poor guy has to sleep some time, hence why I'm up at 7am with the monkey.

Added to this, the increased exercise and I know that means I need more sleep. The summer I ran 2 full marathons, 1 1/2 marathon and a duathlon all within 3 months I was sleeping 9-10 hours per night, easy.

JD - I think I hit a point where my food intake simply outnumbered the calories burned. Yes, physically active but I think my body has adjusted to it. I think it was HUGE for me to do my DDs at 20%, to really fast, because I had hit a point where my activity just did not compensate for the caloric intake.

I'm never going to be 120, or even 130. Like Soren said in the Feb Daily thread, to me I'm more concerned with how I look - people won't be lifting me. But there is still flab to get gone - tummy and saddle bags on my thighs. And its not just loose skin, there is fat under there I'd like gone.

And I think some of the stress is coming from our upcoming trip to Hawaii. When I started this journey 13 months ago, I said to myself "Ok, you have 14 months to get a beach-ready figure - you can do this!" and what I see in the mirror is NOT what I pictured in my head for heading to the beach. So I'm disappointed, stressed, etc. If I had stuck with it, maybe I could have lost the weight, if I hadn't taken a maintenance break.

But I think I'm at a point where I need to focus on the physical aspects of it. I need to shift my focus, because calorie counting is not getting it done. I'm feeling deprived and when I feel deprived I binge, and if I binge, I will gain the weight back. I'm gonna say I'm now in reshaping mode, instead of calling it weight loss mode. Maybe that will help.

I wish I were mentally stronger than I am right now. But at least I'm not falling apart again. I think I just need sleep. UG!
Old 02-05-2014, 11:55 PM   #224
Senior LCF Member

Awww! Yennie, you are too hard on yourself! I am just amazed at all you have accomplished especially while holding a job, the farm, a munchkin, DH and marathons! I always tell my friends, trying to lose weight is a full time job in itself. So just look at how many full time jobs you are doing!

One thing I'm thankful for is that much as I love the ocean and I'm not a beach person (probably because I've lived near the coast most of my life!) so no "beach body" pressure there. Even when we went to Hawaii 30+ years ago we avoided the crowded beaches. From the sound of it, with the amount of exercise you do, I'm sure you are a pocket Venus (British expression), so quit stressing out, I'm sure you'll look lovely.

P.S. I haven't been able to start the PH either!

Last edited by jdforshort; 02-05-2014 at 11:57 PM..
Old 02-08-2014, 05:55 AM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hopefulsweigh
Stats: 155/149/139
Start Date: JUDDD restart - January 2014
Yennie, you are doing great! Look at all you have accomplished in such a short time...maybe a maintenance break is the answer.

Happy Saturday!
Hopefulsweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:33 AM   #226
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Just popping in for support and empathy. We all need to whinge sometimes, and you're not an exception. Like JD said, losing weight is hard--in and of itself. You are doing a ton of things on top of trying to get in shape AND eat right, so give yourself a break. I know you would tell me the same, so I'm doing it for you now. Who cares if you don't have a perfect "beach body"? Your husband is obviously already pleased with how you look, and most likely there won't be anyone you have seen or ever will see again in Hawaii. Enjoy the beaches and the volcanoes, and don't worry about how you look in a bathing suit. I know it's easier said than done, but it shouldn't ruin a lovely trip.That's why they make those beautiful sarongs.

ETA: I also like the look of cute swimming shorts (try a surf shop and get the men's if the the women's are too short for your liking) over a swimsuit...

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 02-08-2014 at 07:35 AM..
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Just want to pop in with a quick running update:
This Sunday is the first 1/2 of the season. I've signed up for another on 3/23. Cupcakes. Yum!
Both my friend and I are signed up for SeaWheeze, and then I'm off to Dumbo the following week-end, in August.
I'm looking for another 1/2 to complete before 5/16 so that I might qualify for "Half Fanatics" (google it if at all interested).
Also, joined a Ragnar Relay team. Phew!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #228
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey Jen. I was just wondering if you're still doing Chalean Extreme, or just concentrating on your running. I've been using my resistance bands and I really like it better than using free weights, so thanks for that rec!