Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
JD, LOL - I agree he's likely a coward, and about karma as well. I must admit, it would not have broken my heart if he showed up while I was home as well. I got a bad attitude, a sassy mouth and a loaded Glock which, yes, I do know how to use Benefits (or side effects?) of a husband in law enforcement - The 11th commandment: The womenfolk shall know how to protect themselves. I don't think it would have come to that though, since I think all it would take is one person to stand up to him and that would be the end of that.
I can't remember if I mentioned this before but I bit the bullet and joined a gym. I hate gyms. I'd rather run on the road and work out at home. But for various logistical reasons I just can't get as much done as I'd like. They're opening a brand new "Anytime Fitness" near my house, so I joined. Ug. And then I find out it doesn't open until the end of Feb. But the nice thing is that is one of those places where you can go to any of the locations, not just the one you joined. So there is one about 4 miles from the monkey's pre-school, and I went today after dropping him at school. Ran 5k, spent about 30 minutes with weights, then some stretching and yoga. Felt good.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2014, 01:10 AM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/155/136, 5'4", 60yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Oh My! I suppose Law enforcer's wife can worse than the law enforcer as she doesn't have to mind her Ps and Qs!

I have been thinking of joining the gym for ages but mainly for strength training/yoga classes. Like you, I love the out doors, so I don't know whether it'll be a waste of money! You, obviously, have dived in beautifully! I just hate the idea of having to drive for exercise. We have a gym in our complex but you have to join the country club in order to use their facilities. Which has a $1000 initiation fee then 200+/month dues and then you have to spend
X-amount / year on dining at their restaurant (dining not a problem as the food is 1st class)! Turns out to be quite expensive, so I am still thinking about it or 24 hr fitness 3-4 miles away.
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

I'm always afraid I won't utilize the fitness places which is why I haven't signed up for them in the past. But this is the first time I've ever lived some place where I can't run outside all the time (no sidewalks) and I don't have free access to a gym (student/university employee). Hubby can use the gym at his work free, and he has been. I've been able to go with him a few times but technically its not allowed and we don't want him to get in trouble so I've stopped going.
I'm hoping the 24 hour part makes it easier for me to comply.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #184
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Good for you, Jen! You seem really focused, so my bet is that you'll make it worth the investment.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Holy water retention Batman! I've done nothing but climb on the scale in the last few days and I know its inflammation/water retention from my excessive work out on Tuesday. 5 pounds, thank you very much!
I think today I'm finally dumping all that water. Seriously, hitting the potty like every hour. And, yes I'm drinking but not that much. So I'm hoping, after a lovely down day today and spending WAY too much time in the washroom, that there is a lovely drop on the scale tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #186
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DABG
Stats: S:184, C: 164, G: 145
WOE: LC, IF, RS
Start Date: RS: 12/ 28/13
Hi Yennie, I have been following your "Potato" comments for several weeks with great interest, as well as the posts about potatoes and RS at MDA and FTA by that fascinating multi-personality guy using several names (Tater Tot, etc.) and became intrigued. You and your open-mindedness about eating a dreaded "white carb" (Oh, Horrors ) is what brought me out of Lurkdom here at LCF.

Your posts are inspiring but much more than that, impressive because of the reading and research you have done about the potato hack and how best to use it sensibly--AND successfully!

At first coming across the mention of potatoes in a mono-diet and also the use of RS made me nuts--I thought it was just another dumb fad and actually found it offensive. (Ignorance and narrow-mindedness: a bad combination.) I am T2Diabetic (controlled well with Metformin and a strict LC diet.) But decided to screw up my courage and try potatoes using them as RS. Result: total satiation and then, imagine my delight when-- TA DA: fasting bloods of 81 and 87. (Never that low before: best I could do before was always in the low to mid 90's.)

So reading threads and journal entries like yours has given me the courage to try something new. I am not yet eating just potatoes--still a little bit of meat, and green things as well as eggs and FF yogurt. Weight loss has been a pound the past 3 days so now I am beginning to add Potato Starch to see what happens.

Thank you for being willing to pave the way for those of us less courageous.
DABG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #187
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
DABG - that was an interesting and delightful post to read.

Good luck with the unmodified potato starch.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #188
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome, Slow But Sure . And I'm glad you enjoyed my post. (Great name by the way--and it is how we all ought to approach the matter of weight loss...we all know about the turtle and the rabbit.)

The PS (Bob's Red Mill unmodified) is helping with my blood sugar readings, but it will take awhile to see what happens with my weight. I am a patient soul and willing to wait and see.

I find reading this site so inspiring and informative. People often know way more than their doctors. For me, coming here is just like opening a good book--fascinating characters and a very interesting plot.

Hmmm, maybe more like a continuing radio or TV saga: Will they or won't the struggling LCf'ers stay the course? Is there dirty work at the crossroads by the dreaded Grain Producers? What obstacles will fate place in the way of the heroine (and hero's) ambition to lose weight and be more healthy? Will the ADA wake up in time to save the lives of those T2 diabetics who have been told it is fine to have an A1-c of 7? Will friends and families listen to the warnings about the dire consequences of eating too much sugar before it is too late?

Tune in tomorrow (or in an hour or next week or later on today, or any old time you can) to discover the dangers our brave LCF'ers must face and overcome as they pass through the Valley of Decision on their way to Perfect Healthland. The excitement never ends!

Last edited by DABG; 01-20-2014 at 07:04 PM..
Old 01-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #189
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Love it!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Well hello there DABG! And thank you for your kind comments. Its pretty awesome that my ramblings have helped someone, but credit must be given to those who paved the way before me. Or, at least, graded the path and maybe even installed the rebar.
I'm a bit of an over obsessive documenter - the lab to the clinic back to the lab, both simultaneously, lab and back to clinic. With some papers and case reports thrown in there as well. Nothing, absolutely nothing, inspired keeping track of minutiae like writing a retrospective in which other people failed to document information you now need. Maddening!
Having said that, I'm about to embark on a modified PH starting tomorrow. I'm hoping for a 7 day hack, we'll see if I can pull it off. Hubs goes back to work tomorrow which means I'm largely on my own for all meals which makes it easy peasy provided I can dig down and find that blasted will power that sometimes eludes me. But I'm stocked on potatoes, jasmine thai rice and my wonderful LC cheese wedges. Lets do this thing!!!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Potato Hack 2014

This morning's weight: 157.4#, with scale body fat of 32.9%. I already know that is too high, because its higher than my hydrostatic testing was 10# ago. And it fluctuates in perfect harmony with my weight. When I put on nearly 5# of water weight, the body fat % on my scale went up. So its not nearly as useful as I'd hoped but oh well.
Plan for today:
B (in the process of consuming): Coffee w 2 total TBS HWC and 2 TBS total SF Vanilla syrup
Fat: 10g, Cals: 110

Water all day, going to the gym, the barn, the tire store.

D: Baked potato with broth and salsa, A1 or LC cheese. Depends on how I feel. I may make some wedges also. We'll have to see. I'll report stats after I make dinner.

Lets do this thing and break through that plateau!!!
Old 01-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #192
Junior LCF Member

Yennie, you and the other regular readers/writers here on your blog are a beacon for me as I adopt a more serious approach to my own health.

And as for your concerns about documenting obsessively, current wisdom about that is that those who journal the steps they take to lose weight or get healthier also tend to be more successful and continue in their success. And just look at yourself and how far you've come. Keep it up!

Reading your "diary" of your ups and downs and your creativity in the way you face dietary and health "projects" is a great help to those of us who come here to see what you are doing and how it's all going. This is the way the human race has always advanced--the sharing of good ideas: what works and what doesn't. This is probably why so man peeps here switch the details of their plans from time to time--hey, WHATEVER WORKS!

Today my weight is the same but my blood sugar tells me I am on the right track. I may not continue the "potato hack" aspect of this; think that a varied diet of unprocessed foods is probably going to be my best bet but as long as the Resistant Starch (in the form of potato starch) does not send my FBG soaring or my weight up, I will continue to use it, at least for the present.) My most effective weapon against weight
seems to be IF of the Fast Five sort (an eating window of 5-6 hours) combined with sensible, realistic LC eating. My pancreas does seem to be happy with a 17 or 18 hour "rest period."

And of course, I love reading about your life with your menagerie!
Old 01-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Good to see you on board again, Yennie! My stupid email filter had sent "update" emails to spam! Good, I happened to look there!

Hi DABG, Very witty input, indeed!

The jury is still out on whether I'm losing wgt any better/worse or same on PH as compared to JUDDD. But my upper body seems to be changing shape, could be my imagination but pants and blouses tell a different story. I'm going to measure everything tomorrow and let's see how that compares to my Dec measurements. I'm on day 5 of PH, by the way! 0g of Fat but 2/3 cup/day of milk! And, oh mainly Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Hey JD,
So I was looking at your calorie numbers in the daily chat thread. I wanted to post there, in the same thread, but there were a bunch of other posts not related so I am glad you're here too.
My guess is that, if you're not losing pounds, might be too high on calories. I think, like with all WOEs, its possible to out-eat the mechanism. I will never forget one of the first posts I read on LCF. I came here because I was trying Atkins and I could not lose weight, or stay in ketosis. I found this site looking for help and came across a post of a gentleman in full on ketosis but not losing weight. Turns out he was eating, like, 3-4 sticks (yes, sticks) of butter a day, along with loads of sausage, bacon, etc. Despite the fact that he was ketotic, the theory was floated that he was consuming SO MANY CALORIES that even in ketosis, he could not lose pounds.
Now, clearly, you're not eating anywhere NEAR those types of calories. But it seems as though most people are staying 700-1000 potato calories. And, I honestly have no idea how the SPs play in. I would say, though, if you're pleased with the NSVs, rock it sister!!! This is such a personal journey that our results have to make us happy!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Final Menu

Finished the day with another coffee. Then made 2 small potatoes into wedges, baked with Johnny's Seasoning Salt and a bit of ketchup.
I don't actually know how many calories were in the potatoes, but no fat. I'll figure it out tomorrow.
Hoping for some movement on the scale tomorrow! Although I did workout pretty hard this morning at the gym so its possible I may be retaining enough water from that to not see movement. Grrr....
Old 01-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Hi Yennie, I think the calories are = if not less than the JUDDD average. I think the main difference is that I have not been exercising at all! I normally walk 8-9 miles 4-5 times a week! My knee had started to bother me so I've been resting that. If I calculate, really, that's 6-700 calorie /day deficit I'm missing on!

I caved in a little this evening as I was feeling a little yucky and had an apple, 3 oz berries and 1/4 cup of homemade plain yogurt. Total for the day 1035 cals. Anyway, one more day then I'll go back to JUDDD/LC I'm tired of seeing the same figures on the scale! Looking forward to seeing your results.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:27 AM   #197
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdforshort View Post
I'm tired of seeing the same figures on the scale!:.
When you reach maintenance, you'll be quietly delighted every time you see the same figures on the scale
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #198
Junior LCF Member

Good Morning, Hackers! I agree with all your comments that calories really do count, and I don't recall Dr Atkins ever saying they don't, so seems like one of the advantages of Potato-ing is that we end up in the end with fewer calories. I don't count them in any exact way, and feel my 18 hour fast gives me a bit of leeway, but have never thought the Mind-Blowingly HI-Fat Crowd had the final answer when they brag about taking in 3,000 or 4,000 calories--I'd blow up like the Hindenburg on that kind of thing even if it was all fat and no carbs. Maybe they've got a different metabolism or know some special chant they say as they scarf that stuff down.

I am so impressed when I look at "y'alls" numbers and see how far you have come, and like the sensible approach your posts show. Seems like a combining plans is often successful.

And, yep, Yennie, I understand exactly what you mean about your Glock and the "confidence" it gives you. I have a S&W Ladysmith, and we live in a rural area (our house is isolated) in a very pretty semi-mountainous county where there have been home invasions, residents tied up and beaten. Aint gonna happen to us! (Also, our dogs look and sound fierce when we get "visitors" too, and that helps a bit.)

Ah the gym. We now have a decent one again in our little town so when my banged-up left leg feels a bit more lively I'm thinking of going back. We have a treadmill which my DH uses, so I may just go that route for awhile. Like jdforshort I used to get a lot of exercise and think it paid off, but I really don't think it is smart to push through the pain like some gym rats recommend. I wonder: what does this do but cause more damage?

SlowSure brings up a lovely thought: the quiet joy of seeing the number we want to achieve every day right there in front of our eyes. YES!

I am just about to have my morning cup of tea. I hope all of you have a super day.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

Scale this morning: 155.4#.
Now, before everyone gets all excited about this 2# drop, I'd like to point out that I'm pretty sure there are hydration issues associated with this number. I worked out HARD yesterday and then followed it up with riding 2 horses. I drank water like crazy but woke up in the middle of the night thirsty and woke up thirsty - 2 things that only happen when I'm dehydrated. So I fully expect a bounce UP tomorrow because I will be rehydrated.
Having said that - the scale said it and I'm claiming it!
Today's menu includes: roasted sweet potato with cinnamon and a but of SF vanilla syrup (delish!) and some Jasmine rice. I may stick with the rice, may do a baker for dinner. We'll see.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Slow, So true! I took the measurements this morning and definite change in the upper body but now I don't know whether that happened this week or during the last month But whatever, it feels good.

Good to see the drop Yennie!

I'm positive if I do PH with my normal exercise we'll see way different results. However, I'm still going to lay off walking for a few more days just to be on the safe side. Two things I have learnt from this are that Calories matter and if I have difficulty controlling UDs ( or DDs for that matter), couple of small potatoes should do the trick. I hadn't touched potatoes for God knows how long!

I did feel a little queasy yesterday afternoon so had an apple and some berries, that did the trick. Later on caved in a bit and had 1/2 oz nuts But I'm down a pound so I guess it was ok!

Yennie, you are so right, the yucky feeling really does hit you within couple of hrs of eating the potatoes, so your warning was helpful in understanding what was happening! Today, I introduced brussel sprouts and green bean as munchies instead of another potato. so feeling really good.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

I do think adding other food items will slow the losses BUT so will adding a bit of fat. But as I said ages ago, if a bit of fat slows losses today but allows the hack to be sustainable for a few more days, thus resulting in greater overall losses, I think its worth it.
I do believe it was Pirate Jenny who couldn't do a straight up PH, and therefore she would have 1 PH-style meal. She would just make sure there was a solid 4 hours, if not more, between her PH and non-PH meal.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #202
Senior LCF Member

My 7th day and I'm up 0.6 lb from yesterday! Not worried or disappointed, for that matter. Will start again on Tuesday and this time do it along with the exercise and then see Looking forward to seeing your figures, Yennie!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My 7th day and I'm up 0.6 lb from yesterday! Not worried or disappointed, for that matter. Will start again on Tuesday and this time do it along with the exercise and then see Looking forward to seeing your figures, Yennie!
I actually found that I had at least 1 day, sometimes 2, where there was no weight loss or I would have a bounce up on the scale. I think this is the empty fat cells filling with water (which is denser than fat so more weight for the same volume) before a big ole' whoosh! So after a time or two doing this, I learned not to fret the PH bounce.

Speaking of, I'm actually up 0.4# this morning on the scale - 155.8#. I'm still cool with it thought because 1) I expected a bigger bounce up once properly rehydrated and 2) see previous statement. Plus this puts me right on track - 1.6# loss over 2 days, averaging at 0.6# per day which is right smack in the middle of what I've been doing - 0.5-0.7#/day average over my hacks. And...duh duh duh...confession time. I had some popcorn last night. So I'm actually really, really happy to have only seen a 0.4# bounce up since popcorn usually makes me pop up even higher.

Today was a tough day at work - solid 8.5 hours non-stop. No time to eat even. Thankful for JUDDD DDs giving me the tools and strength to make it through the day with no food.

I did finally have a protein shake - no fat but 210 calories of protein and carbs. Then, I had a 1/2 bowl rice when I got home. I'm currently enjoying a mug of FF hot chocolate and some mini-marshmallows (also FF) with my monkey. So although today did not involve any potatoes, I'm still calling my hack semi-on track. I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings. I drank enough (and passed enough) liquids to float a barge today so I am, at least, confident that I am fully rehydrated.

And, if I have the energy after the monkey goes to bed, I'll write up my race registration debacles of the last 2 days.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Lovely, Yennie, looking forward to reading it. I have realized that I do have to eat almost every couple of hrs otherwise I feel a little hypoglycemic. I am just wondering how I am going to time my walks and how this is going to effect it. I know, in one of your logs you had said you felt yucky and not that energetic when you did PH before. How is the exercise part working out this time?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I know, in one of your logs you had said you felt yucky and not that energetic when you did PH before. How is the exercise part working out this time?
I'm doing fine now. I've not had that yucky, "hypoglycemic" feeling at all this time around. I put hypoglycemic in quotes because each time I felt that way, I tested my blood glucose and the lowest reading I ever got was 78. Hardly hypoglycemic. But I felt wonky - pushed through it - but I wonder if I'm more adapted now that its not happening.

During my "maintenance" break, I did continue with PH meals, or a PH day. I lost 10# during my 5 month break so it wasn't like I went nutso. I did get a great plan for maintenance when that time FINALLY arrives.

I've been running, and weight lifting, and not changing my diet for my exercise at all. I don't eat back calories, I don't add a protein shake after a workout. The only thing I do is add GU during long runs, but I've always done that.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Just saving this here:

15-Feb-2013: down 10# & 10.5"; 31-Mar-2013: down 20.9# and 17.5"; 15-May-2013: down 30# & 23"
12-June-2013: No longer obese (on BMI) for the first time since 2009 and goals restructured after hydrostatic body testing!!
17-Nov-2013: It took 6 months to lose 10# but I learned a lot about myself in the process.

Too much clutter in my signature. So I took it out but I wanted the information saved somewhere. So here it is.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I'm doing fine now. I've not had that yucky, "hypoglycemic" feeling at all this time around. I put hypoglycemic in quotes because each time I felt that way, I tested my blood glucose and the lowest reading I ever got was 78. Hardly hypoglycemic. But I felt wonky - pushed through it - but I wonder if I'm more adapted now that its not happening.
During my "maintenance" break, I did continue with PH meals, or a PH day. I lost 10# during my 5 month break so it wasn't like I went nutso. I did get a great plan for maintenance when that time FINALLY arrives.

I've been running, and weight lifting, and not changing my diet for my exercise at all. I don't eat back calories, I don't add a protein shake after a workout. The only thing I do is add GU during long runs, but I've always done that.
Yennie, I sincerely do appreciate you sharing this info! Interesting about the blood sugar reading!! I'll have to ask my hubby to check mine I hate needles! 10 lbs in 5 months with a break! That's what I lose on JUDDD these days if I'm lucky! But I do think your running and wgt lifting has lot to do with it! GU ?? I'm going out of town tomorrow, probably won't be checking the forum until Sunday night! Best of luck!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #208
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
GU ?? I'm going out of town tomorrow, probably won't be checking the forum until Sunday night! Best of luck!
GU is one brand of these high energy (100 cal, lots of electrolytes and carbs) gels that runners take for instant energy during long runs. I take one every 45min - hour while on long runs.

Have a blast! I hope you're going someplace fun!!!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #209
Major LCF Poster!

Speaking of running...the registration debacles!

I'm a little nutty, that's unlikely to surprise anyone at this point. I also like to run races. I actually hate running, but I love the races. So I train to go to the races which I love, even though I hate the lead up. Since I spend 5 months training for a 2-3 hour run - explain that one. Anyway...

I've decided to do 2 races this summer on back-to-back weekends. The first is Aug 23rd, and its the SeaWheeze 1/2 marathon in Vancouver BC. The second is the Dumbo Double Dare on Aug 30 & 31st as part of the Disneyland Half Marathon week-end in Anaheim, CA. The DDD is a 10k on Saturday followed by a 1/2 marathon on Sunday. The point of that is because I really, really, really want to do the Dopey Challenge in Disney World in January 2016. The Dopey Challenge is a 5k, 10k, 1/2 and full daily from Th - Sun. I would do it in 2015 but the hubs says I need to successfully complete the DDD before he'll let me sign up for the DC, and because of when registrations open, and how fast these things sell out, its 2016. Plus the monkey will be older and better able to enjoy WDW's 4 parks.

Anyway, so yesterday (22-Jan) was the Annual Passholder early registration for the Disneyland Half-Marathon weekend. All excited, I logged into my AP account and waited, waited, waited for the link to appear. At about 9:10 am (bearing in mind it was supposed to go live at 9am) I went to runDisney's Facebook page to see what was what. Seems that, for some reason, the WDW and Disney Vacation Club members links for early registration were working, but the Disneyland AP links weren't. People were PISSED, especially since the race is at DL!!! So then people started posting the direct links to the registration pages on Active.com that were only supposed to be available to AP holders. So now, technically, the links are public and anyone with 1/2 a brain and a computer could figure this out and enter. I'm not ashamed to say that when someone posted the link to register for the DDD, I clicked and registered! Sorry but I was not going to get scooped because DL people didn't have their act together!

Then DisneylandAP twitter account posts that the DL links are working - a full 1:45 after it was supposed to go live. They post a link in their tweet, which takes one to their facebook page with the direct links to each events registration on active.com again totally bypassing the need to log into your AP account to get the links and register. So now DISNEYLAND is posting the links publicly for anyone with 1/2 a brain to enter the race early. And we thought people were enraged before? Now they're over the top FURIOUS!!! At this point I am registered, so I go ahead and register my son for the 200m kids race.

At some point, the link on the Facebook page gets changed to direct people to log in to their AP account, but not before all the pre-sale spots for the DDD sell out. So of course the people who wanted in to the DDD with the presale are incensed because they're blaming Disneyland for 1) not having the link working at 9am and 2) posting the direct links publicly for anyone to register.

I did end up registering my dad as well, for the 10k, his first ever, which I do feel slightly guilty about since he is not an AP holder, although I am. I went ahead and did it because I have been shut out of races before by "playing by the rules" and I was not going to allow him to miss this opportunity. Since its now 2 days post opening, and there are still pre-sale spots available in the 10k, I'm feeling less guilty about this decision because clearly there was not as high a demand for the 10k as there was for the other races.

PHEW! On to SeaWheeze registration this morning, how could we top that? Oh you just wait.

10am PST, I log on and slow, slow, slow she goes. Can't register. Timing out. Website redirected, again and again, and again. Text my friend who is also trying to register - is it working for you? (Mind you, this will be her first 1/2 marathon, a destination race for her as she's coming to visit me and I'm now feeling like a *donkey* because this race was my idea although it is in no way my fault that their servers suck.) Around 3 hours later, they closed the site to further registration while they tried to sort their business out. At 3pm PST they said - sorry, apparently we suck and check back tomorrow at 12pm PST. So still not registered for that one yet either. Hopefully I'll be able to jump on a computer tomorrow and get signed up.

These races better be worth all the hassle the signups have been!!!!!
Old 01-24-2014, 12:51 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Oh My! Just the registrations sound so stressful, what are the races going to be like. I would have done the same with DL. It's their problem, you play by the rules fairly and try to enter through the front door, so to speak, until you are bitten in hiney for being good, you learn the hard way that there is another door! SeeWheeze registration sounds similar to our ObamaCare debacle!

Funny, I used to call my daughter monkey too for years, still do sometimes when I feel affectionate towards her The whole family is into racing, eh! Little tyke too! Wow! I really have to take my hat off to you for all the athletic achievements! Bravo! Best of luck tomorrow.

I'm browsing through various PH threads, very insightful stuff! I may combine PH with JUDDD! we'll see!