Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #151
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Nice introspection and observation going on here Jen. My mother was always critical of my weight as well, even when I was definitely not overweight, so I know how it can hurt.

I hope you enjoy your trip!! Have fun!!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #152
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Have loads of fun Jen! You are definitely in a better place this year, both weight-wise and head-wise. I can hear it in your "voice".

I am fortunate in that my family has NEVER made critical comments about my weight. EVER. I know they were concerned about my health, but never made me feel ugly or unacceptable. I wondered periodically if they were embarrassed to be out with me, but no one has even made me feel that way. I'm sorry you guys have had to experience that. Being heavy is hard enough, I can only imagine what extra dimension that adds to it.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Thanks gals!
We had the best time!!! It was so much fun! Universal is not as fun as Disneyland but it was a good trip, good company and great memories.
On Friday, an UD, I fasted until dinner and ate like a starving horde at the Hard Rock Cafe because I LOVE it!
On Saturday, a DD, I fasted until dinner but then ate more than I should have for dinner - more a MD I think.
On Sunday, an UD, I started my day mid-morning with a 400 calorie Cinnabon thing. There was a Cinnabon at Universal. I love Cinnabon. Then we had Johnny Rocket's for lunch and I even had a milkshake. Whoops! Then a fruit & cheese plate on the plane home. So I'm sure it was an UUAD but I find I don't care.
Today's been a lovely DD - so far only 3/4 a can of the light beef pot roast soup (180 cals for the hole can). I think I'll have popcorn for dinner after putting the monkey to bed. I can do a huge bowl for 200 cals. I'm ok with about 350 for my DD.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

FROZEN! (Semi-spoiler alert!)

Not even remotely diet related.
I absolutely love the new Disney animated film, Frozen. I've seen it twice already and will see it again because the peanut wants to see it again. (He's only seen it once.)
I love the music, I love the animation. Its beautiful. I love the story, even though its not that similar to "The Snow Queen" which it claims to be based off of. I guess its based off "The Snow Queen" in the same way Disney's "The Little Mermaid" was based off of HCA's "The Little Mermaid" - there was a mermaid & a sea witch. End of similarities
Anyway, I adore the strong female leads, I love the message of empowerment and I LOVE that those girls don't need no man!
Its been a great conversation with the 3 year old. He gets it. And he loves it.
It is just a wonderful film that makes me very happy!
And, I also can't wait for "Saving Mr. Banks" to come out which will also, I'm told, be loosely based on reality. Since I'm guessing in the end Emma Thompson's charater will not HATE the movie with a burning passion and write the Walt Disney Company & the Sherman Brothers out of any further dealings with Mary Poppins in her will. Which is what P.L. Travers did in real life.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Got a new scale. I'd been using the Wii but it takes about 5 minutes and use of the TV, all told, to get a weight. When I'm trying to get ready for work, keep the child calm and he wants to watch Mickey Mouse, I don't have 5 minutes to screw around with getting a weight. My old dial scale was seemingly incapable of recording weights under 190# so it was pretty well useless
I got a digital scale and one with body fat, etc. I already don't believe my body fat since I've lost 8# since I had my hydrostatic testing and it has the percentage as higher than my hydrostatic. But thats ok because I'm hoping to track trends there. And if/when I get hydrostatic again (which I will if the guy will ever schedule a clinic up this far north!!!), then I can calibrate!!
I calibrated the 2 tonight. The new scale is 0.9# heavier than the Wii, so I will continue to use the Wii-based weights for my ticker as I've already made too many changes and calibrations. Time to stop screwing with it and keep it the same.
The funny thing was I weighed the same tonight as I did last night when I was setting up the scale. So then I'm freaking out that the scale is busted. So I went and got an unopened 5# sack of flour and stood on the scale with that - exactly 5# heavier! Yay, it works!
So I think tomorrow I will start back up my daily weights but will only change my ticker when I hit a new low.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #156
Big Yapper!!!!

A new scale is a good idea when it won't weigh below 190. For a very long time, that would NOT have been a problem around here. But thankfully now it would

And neither of us will ever, ever need a scale to go that high again!
Old 12-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post

And neither of us will ever, ever need a scale to go that high again!
True statement my dear friend! Whoo hoo!!! This is the most amazing thing ever. 11 months later and I'm still SO THRILLED to have found JUDDD and this site.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Yennie et al - related to the notion of potato hacking, I thought you might find a very recent item on Sensory Specific Satiety to be of interest.

Published 17 Dec 2013, Guardian.

Title: The science behind stuffing your face at Christmas
Feeling full, psychology and how festive food and drink make a monster of your appetite

Quote:
The thinking behind [sensory specific satiety] [SSS] is that because humans are omnivores, and we must eat a variety of foods to survive, we evolved this mechanism to keep us from sticking doggedly to our favourite food and consequently getting ill, and/or prematurely popping our clogs. Marion Hetheringon, professor of biospychology at the University of Leeds, describes the process nicely: "If I'm eating a food like pasta, it will taste good at the beginning. Then when I'm halfway through it doesn't taste quite as good – I might add some more sauce to make it taste better, or I might say I'm going to switch to salad now – I've had enough of the pasta." This happens subconsciously. In fact even people with amnesia who not only forget what they've just eaten, but have no idea whether they've eaten at all, still express SSS. Served repeated, identical meals, they will continue to eat them, but they find them increasingly unpleasant.
I can't post the link but the original article has some decent references to research posts to support this idea. It made me think of the correspondences of choosing a foodstuff (like potato) and serving it plainly and eating it to satiety but not beyond.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

This looks awesome, thanks! I will check out the link.
Glad to see you again dear friend. I hope all is well, and you're still enjoying your kayaking!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

I've got zits, and my tummy hurts!

I never break out. Never! And I have 3 zits right now grrrrr
I actually sat up in the washroom last night for about 30 minutes fully expecting to be ill. It eventually passed, and I went back to bed. This has got to end!
I haven't had a down day since 12/19. My poor system can't take it anymore. Tomorrow morning I will weigh, report my weight (gulp!) and get my self back on track.
I'm actually planning a string of some potato days to jump start the rotations, lose whatever holiday weight I've put on and try to leave the 160's solidly behind me. We'll see, I've never managed more than 7 days in a row of potatoes but we're leaving for Maui on 2-March-2014 so I've got a LOT of motivation. I was looking at old photos of our Maui trip in 2012 and - WOW! I never felt as big as I was in those photos.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #161
Big Yapper!!!!

Blech! Good for you for getting right back on track. I'm feeling the sugary, carby blechies myself, but am still enjoying the treats and have two more days with events where I know I won't be able to not indulge. But January 1 I am right there with you. I hope to do some serious VLC days in the beginning to "detox" myself out of this feeling. I wish I could potato hack. I lost so great on it, but felt horribly sick both times I tried it, and had some pretty serious TMI bathroom issues, so I think I'd better stay away from that. Darnit!
Old 12-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's remarkable how much carbohydrate can influence our mood. Either make us feel nicely numb or, when we're not used to them in quantity, feel ghastly. I suppose it's not that surprising when it's so easy to eat a fair number of grammes but most of us only have about 8g of glucose in our bloodstream when we're going about our everyday activities.

Maui sounds so glamorous and such a motivation.

Good luck with the potatoes and/or rotations.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Since I said I would...

This morning's weight was 160.5# (161.4# adjusted for scale continuity) with a measured BF% of 33.4%. <--- I know this is not correct because it does not even closely align with my hydrostatic testing but I use it to track progress even if the number isn't correct. Calculated BF% based off LBM measured at hydrostatic testing is 30.1%. This may be an over-estimate based on weight lifting but its what I have to track for now.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

Year End Review

For various reasons, I chose to measure today instead of waiting 3 more days. I figured I'd post a year end summary. I need to take a photo too.

1/1/13 12/28/13 Difference
Weight 200# 158# 42#
Body Fat% 44% 30.1% 13.9%
Bust 44 40 4"
Waist 40 34.5 5.5"
Abdomen 48 39.75 8.25"
Hip 46.5 41 5.5"
R Thigh 26.5 22.5 4"
L Thigh 27 22.5 4.5"
R Calf 14.25 12.25 2"
L Calf 14 12.5 1.5"
R Bicep 14 12.5 1.5"
L Bicep 14 11.75 2.25"
Total: 39" from original measurements

I added the following measurements throughout the year

Neck 2/17/13: 13.5"; Today: 13 (-0.5")
Waist curve (smallest point) 2/17/13: 36"; Today: 31" (-5")
Bra band area 3/31/13: 36"; Today: 34.5" (-1.5")

For an additional 7" inches lost bringing the total to 46"
My son is currently 39.5" tall. I've lost more inches than he is tall. Interesting when its put in that manner.

I just need to lose another inch off my hips and all my measurements will be in the 30's or lower! Yay!!

I'm still working on getting my hydrostatic body testing re-done to really re-assess my progress and see where things are headed from here.

Exciting!

Last edited by Yennie; 12-28-2013 at 01:38 PM..
Old 12-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/171/140, 5'4", 60yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Yennie, Just read through your very interesting and informative journal from start to finish. Are you still PHing? I tried that on my DDs few times but I don't think my results were as impressive as yours. Very doable on DDs as I love potatoes, except I wanted more - must be to with my reaction to carbs.
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks JD!
I am using the potato concept for my DDs right now. Well, ok, to be totally honest I just had my first DD yesterday since 12/19. Darn holidays!
Anyway, I weighed in this morning at 158.7 and 33.1% body fat after only 1 potato DD so I know some of that was water but some was also (hopefully) fat mobilization.
I have also done a few days of mini-hacks, which I plan to do in the future as well. I love the 2-4 day hacks to change up rotations instead of using MDs as those don't work for me. The longest I've ever gone is 7 days. SlowSure is my idol for having hacked for 1 solid month, I am not sure I could pull that off.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

Why the media lies to us - and why we will never look like the girls in the magazine

Do you know how I know? Because my sister is one of the girls in the magazine.
My youngest sister is an aspiring fitness model. The ones you see in the pages of fitness magazines and not walking down the runway. These are the girls that are featured as the photos of the "after" if you follow the "10 minutes a day will get you flat abs" advice pouring out of the pages of every magazine you can buy at the supermarket, or subscribe to.
But here's the truth. My sister works out 2-4 hours a day. She has a trainer she works with 3-4 times a week. She follows a strict diet of very low carb, high protein, low calorie. Every. Single. Day. She has an occasional cheat day, which consists of some sushi, a small piece of chocolate and maybe 1 glass of wine. Once a month. If that.
She' is obsessed, relentless and never gives up. 100% pure dedication. It is a full time job to her, maintaining her body.
She is, in my opinion, too skinny. Her last body percent fat measure put her at 11%. She wants it lower. Maybe some people wouldn't think she looks too thin, because she does have a lot of muscle. So she isn't "famine" skinny. But she is very, very thin. She dedicates hours a day to achieve the look the magazines tell you you'll get in only 10 minutes a day! Lies.
And, sadly, her photos are airbrushed too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AliShape2.jpg (35.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 12-31-2013, 12:23 AM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
SlowSure is my idol for having hacked for 1 solid month, I am not sure I could pull that off.
It was more practical for me because DH was away for most of that period. It would have been very different if I'd had young children or a spouse in the home at the time.

What are we coming to when models for aspirational 'after' pictures have body fat levels that are unfeasibly low for women whose occupation is not a (fitness) model. In general, I'd have thought a very low body fat level in women of child-bearing age was associated with cessation of the menstrual cycle and other associated hormone problems.

And don't get me started on the air-brushing

During the Olympics, it was good to see how many of the women competitors looked fit, athletic, sturdy but mostly, far from thin.

Last edited by SlowSure; 12-31-2013 at 12:25 AM..
Old 12-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #169
Big Yapper!!!!

Great post, Jen! I'm glad to hear all of that. Is this picture actually Sis? She is beautiful! And that body, while definitely looking firm and muscular, is way thinner than I'll ever achieve. Kind of my ideal though, which is sad.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, that's little sis. December issue of Shape Magazine We are all very proud of her but it scares me to watch what she does through to achieve that. And it makes me even more mad to watch "normal" people struggle to achieve what I know takes her hours a day to achieve.

On a separate note, I was up 1# today after what I thought was a good, solid DD yesterday Bummer. I've maintained this entire month but I'm not too pleased with that because I wanted to be back on WLM. I guess having no DDs between 12/19 and 12/27 though...what do I expect???

Anyway, I'm going to have to accept that I need to start counting my calories again. I don't know if I'm eating enough or too much on my UDs, and I should try to rein in my DDs a bit. Even though I'm going to keep up with the potato stuff, I think I need to be more mindful of the calories. And - confession time. Sometimes I sneak in extra stuff on my potato DDs because, in my mind, the potato calories don't count with the whole fat mobilization thing. Except obviously they do. Yes, I can eat more than 500 calories of potatoes and still lose. But I need to be more careful about adding extras as though the potato calories = zero. And this is what I've been doing. Naughty me.

Get it together Jen! Time to lose those last 12# and see where we're at!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #171
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Well, she looks beautiful. I guess that is the "truth" behind all fashion models. I.e., air brushing, and stretching of the truth about how they got that beautiful skin, body, etc. How old is lil sis? I also would be concerned about body fat that low in child-bearing years.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

She's 21.
Well after my grousing about my blown DD yesterday I guess my body & mind heard me. Today will end a DD, and a better one than I've had in a long time. I never eat breakfast, got hung up at the barn several hours longer than I intended (and I didn't have food) and came home around 5:30 still having not eaten solid food. I thought - what the heck, lets give this a go! I had a can of progressive low calorie soup (Beef Pot Roast; 160 cals) with some Sriachi sauce and salt. More tea and a few pecans - honestly, I'm not even hungry. I am cold, however, which has nothing to do with the DD and everything to do with the fact that I can't get a decent fire to catch in the woodburner to save my life (failed arsonist here). I'm thinking I might go crawl into bed with the electric blanket, watch some Netflix on my laptop and ring in the new year to the melodic tones of my snoring!
Happy New Year Everyone!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad that you managed a DD for your own peace of mind, even if it's not what you intended when you started the day

I hope you've had a good day with your little one.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, we did have a nice day. Rode some horses yesterday, one again today. Now we're sitting nicely by the fire because, thankfully, hubby started it before leaving for work. So I'm not left to my own hopeless heating devices.

I've attached my chart from 2013. Its from the program that does my ticker. I didn't really get my ticker until March, so I back added my starting point, which is why there is no data between 1-Jan and 3-March. And you can see my break in there - weighing few and far between. And I only enter data points when I hit a new low. But its a downward trend which is what I'm after!
Attached Images
File Type: png 2013 weight loss chart.png (6.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #175
Big Yapper!!!!

Happy New Year, Jen!

I'm so excited for you that you're only 12 pounds from your goal! WOW! You've done so well, and I can't wait to celebrate with you when you get there this year.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you!!!
Although, I'll admit 146 is kind of an intermediate goal - that's where I should be at a "healthy" body fat percentage - the high end of healthy, so we'll see where we're at after we hit that point.
You're doing so well, I'm super excited for you too. One of my regrets of having been off the boards for so long was I missed your cross over to one-derland! You're doing really, really awesome!!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #177
Big Yapper!!!!

Aw, thanks! It's nice to hear since I've been feeling kind of stalled out lately. But I'm ready and rarin' to hit it hard again now. Let's slide, push, pull, drag each other to those 140s!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Yennie, I have decided to do DDs PH too. This is my 2nd DD PH, So far so good as far as satiety is concern. I feel more energetic when I go for a walk and no negative side affects. Early days yet, let's see how it goes for a week or two, then depending on the results I might consider UD hack as well. I had read Ouizoid's log and MDA blog a while back, thinking no way I could do it but if these past DDs are anything to go by, I'll try it. Thank you so much for sharing your info in detail. I love it.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

JD, I hope you have a great time on the PH. It works great for me on DDs, and I also use a multi-day to break through a plateau. You can also mix in rice, I use white jasmine Thai rice, when your tummy can't take another potato. There's a potato hack recipe thread sticky in the JUDDD forum.
My friend has moved out, after 2 nights. She's now with her sister-in-law and brother. Closer to her parents as well. I live about 45-60 minutes from the rest of her family, where we work, etc so its easier for her, logistically, to be further south. But I think, in the first 2 days after leaving her husband, the distance was good for her. Plus he doesn't know where I live so there was no chance he could show up here and threaten her. Although I think my husband would have welcomed the chance to show him the, um, errors of his ways. So here's hoping it goes smoothly from here on out for her.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info Yennie, I have gone though the PH recipe thread too. At the moment I seemed to be hooked on English style chips that I used to love albeit microwaved and dry fried. Then sprinkled with salt and vinegar! I also tried with Mexican seasoning that they use for mangoes, hot and sour tasting, absolutely delicious!

Glad to hear things are somewhat working out for your friend. I sincerely feel that men that abuse or threaten women are themselves cowards. Hence, they pick on someone that they know are physically weaker than they are. These people when faced by "real men of integrity" will probably pee in their pants. Like my daughter always reminds me, Karma is a %$*CH! But really good of you to support her like this.