Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #121
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Jen, I'm sorry I've not commented lately, but I want to wish you well. It sounds like you've been through an awful lot, yet you persevere and give so much to others.Thank you again for reassuring me about my Joey (my terrier). Her eye looked normal when I got home today, so I'm thinking it was alergies as you alleged. Congrats on the new low, and I hope everything continues to look up for you, girl!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
What with Monkey, your practice, the horses, the steers etc. etc., I daresay that you haven't much free time at present but I just wanted to drop by and say and that I hope that all is well with you, those whom you love, and those who love you.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Yes, do hope all is well....

When is your next horse show?
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #124
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Hey Jen, just wanted to pop my head in and say "hi". I hope you're busy with horseshow stuff and everything is okay with you. Hope to hear from you soon!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #125
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I have missed your lovely posts too. Hope all is well.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cookwithme65
Stats: 195/160/150
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: Process started in 2011, restart nov 2013
Hi Jen,

I was on this site tonight researching JUDD and then saw your recipe for potato stacks and found your journal and have spent the last few hours reading it from start to end. Congratulations in all that you have accomplished. You sure have educated me. You are a woman of many hats. I do hope that you and your family are well and your absence here the past few days is not due to any more hardship. A girl can only handle so much.

Thankyou for sharing your experience with me. I appreciate it. I will be checking back to make sure you are ok. I plan on officially starting JUDD on Sunday. I still need to do a little more research on how to make the potato hacks and the amounts I should eat etc..

Sending positive thoughts your way!
~ Kristan
cookwithme65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #127
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Hi Jen,

Hope all is well. Miss you around the JUDDD threads.

Carly
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
Hi Jen, wanted to thank you for taking time and allowing us a glimpse of your amazing life You have accomplished so much, and I'm truly thankful for all your information and encouragement! I hope you and your family are doing well!
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Just stopping by to say that you're missed and I know that you must be very busy.

I hope all is well with you and your family/loved ones.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #130
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Really xxx
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #131
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Really xxx
Ditto^^^^^

Hope everything is good and that you are just really busy.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #132
Big Yapper!!!!

Miss you Yennie. Let us hear from you, please.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #133
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes Yennie! You are missed around here!
Old 11-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Thank you friends for the notes above. I'm sure you'd probably given up on me, I probably would have after 5+ months. As I'd discussed above I was having some struggles and there was WAY too much going on in my life, something needed to give. This was one of the things that had to be de-prioritized although that sounds terrible & as though I don't/didn't appreciate all the support I got here since it was instrumental to my successful weight loss. Case in point: Jan - May: 30# gone. May - Nov: 10# gone. Difference? LCF boards. BUT I'm pretty proud in that I was able to keep shedding pounds, even if it was slow, and it gave me a good taste for what maintenance will be like. And I WILL NOT think "Oh but if I'd stayed on the boards and more strict those last 13# I'm shooting for would be gone by now" because I WILL NOT let myself get into that mental cycle of regret. I did what I needed to do to get through and make the last summer work for me. And now I'm back, and ready to kick it back into gear. I'm in a better place with my mental health, my physical health and my relationship with those around me.
So - to update. My red mare ended up needed to have surgery in the beginning of July. She had a partial tear of her cranial cruciate ligament (analogous to the ACL football players are always tearing). She was ridden for the first time post surgery, at a walk, just yesterday. We're walking for 1 month under saddle, then a recheck with her surgeon then we can add trot. She's had many conventional and traditional therapies along with her surgery - if its possibly going to help her, we did it.
My big horse show in Montana was very successful. I put some photos (the montage and the one of us in the water) below. We ended up in 6th place out of 40 riders in our division, and I could not have been happier. Since the redhead is laid off still, I'm continuing to work my old mad and we're getting better.
I did add a 3rd horse to the string (why oh why do i think I need another horse????). Her name is Jamie and she's a 6 year old Thoroughbred mare my dad had. She stood around for a while after racing and I sent her to my trainer for a tune up so my dad could ride her on trails. After about a month, my trainer said "Um, she's too fancy to be a trail horse." So she's in training for a while, in a few weeks we'll see if she wants to jump. Hopefully soon I can retire my old guy for real, although I'm hoping to take him back to Montana again this summer, so not quite yet. Jamie & I are in the photos below also, just taken this morning after our ride.
My little one is growing like a weed, of course. I took him back to Disneyland in October for the Halloween party, and we're going again in February. I have a little problem with the Disney addiction and I'm passing it along! This photo is from October - him, Dug & Kevin from the movie "Up".
As for weight loss, I did a mix of JUDDD, potato days, 7 hour windows, 5:2, all sorts of weird stuff to keep it going. I was honestly just hoping to maintain until recently when I knew it was time to get back into WLM. I have had some tummy troubles the last few months so I kicked off an herbal cleanse regime this morning in hopes that it will help. They want you to "eat clean" while on the cleanse, which I can handle. What I can't, and won't do, is the small meals every 2 hours, blah blah blah. I know what works for me and that doesn't. So I'm going to JUDDD cleanly for those 10 days, and drink tons of water since there is a lot of fiber involved in the cleanse. It might be voodoo junk but I don't care.
I also started weight lifting seriously in September. I'm using a program that focuses on heavy weights, low number of reps to build lean muscle fast and increase muscle tone & definition. I must say, I'm super impressed & its working really nicely. I have bicep, tricep, calf and shoulder definition! I've never had that in my life! The program is called ChaLEAN Extreme and you can use weights or resistance bands. Can probably find the DVDs on Amazon or eBay or some place like that. I bought it new but I'm sure its available used too. And I"m really not 100% on it, but still seeing great results.
So, anyhow, for anyone wondering, that's the deal. I'm heading into the holidays with a brighter outlook on being successful so that I can not only maintain but hopefully continue to lose. I'd like to get these last 13# off and re-evaluate with hydrostatic body testing.
Ok, that's all for now. Gotta go outside & feed the critters!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jamie LCF.jpg (41.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg RebeccaLCF.jpg (64.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SamLCF.jpg (37.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Rebecca2lcf.jpg (62.1 KB, 13 views)

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #135
Big Yapper!!!!

Glad you are back!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #136
Big Yapper!!!!

Sooooo glad to hear from you Jen! I was wondering about you just the other day and hoping things were okay with you. You've been busy, that's for sure. And I'm so glad you've been able to stick to a plan enough to see some further losses. You're SO close to goal - how exciting!

Thanks for popping in! I hope we'll see more of you - you've been missed!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Why diet products/gimicks like Advocare and such don't work for me

My youngest sister has started selling "Advocare" - a health and wellness supplement company. They do the "Adovcare 24 day Challenge" that seems pretty popular right now (at least on my Facebook news feed). They tout "Lose an average of 10# and 10" in 24 days!" Out of curiosity, and to support my sister, I decided I'd try the 10 day Herbal Cleanse (which makes up the first 10 days of the 24 day challenge, BTW). This consists of some fiber drinks (bleck!), some herbal cleansing pills and some probiotics. And following the diet they recommend that is basically no coffee (what?!?!?!), no dairy, no sugar, no processed foods, nothing fried, nothing white, all whole grains, fresh produce, lean meats, 6-7 servings of fruits (preferably low glycemic fruits) and veggies each day. Eat something small every 2-3 hours.

Sound familiar? Its the same diet every "weight loss program" has touted since the beginning of time (or at least since I started paying attention). Fresh foods, eat small frequent meals, wholesome, organic if possible, blah blah blah. While they don't actually advocate calorie counting, how could you not be on a low cal diet with those restrictions? I'm not saying its bad, but I'm saying for most people its not sustainable.

I'm sure people do lose weight. After dropping $200 on the program, I bet they follow it to the letter! But it makes me wonder how much of their weight loss is a change of eating styles and how much is the products. Cuz, see, here's the thing - I'm on day 7 of 10, and I've lost approximately 0.5#. Given how I've been eating, I'd expect, without the cleanse, a loss of 0.5-1 pound for this last week. I also did not experience the headaches, detox symptoms others reported, probably because I was eating pretty cleanly to begin with. I'll finish the cleanse, but I won't do it again. And I already have next Wednesday marked on my calendar with a big, bold "COFFEE!!!!"

So my theory - Advocare gives you the tools to lose weight within a 24 day period. But they give you nothing to follow it up with except repetition of the same, likely unsustainable plan. Eat clean. Eat low cal. Use their products and meal replacement shakes. And I don't mean to pick on Advocare - they all do it - HerbaLife, Slim Fast, they're all the same. Use our products, subject yourself to unrealistic expectations and goals, starve yourself, pop pills but make NO REAL CHANGES that will make this weight loss achievable in the long term or a sustainable lifestyle. Its because people want it fast, and in order for it to be fast it must be extreme. And extreme is not sustainable for most people.

I've lost 40# since I started JUDDD on January 21, 2013. I have my UDs, I have my DDs, I have the occasional UUAD, I've done 2-7 day potato hacks. I semi-maintained (read: lost VERY SLOWLY) for about 5 months before being ready to jump back into WLM. Why am I successful? I think its because I changed my lifestyle. I know, from my hiatus, I can keep this weight off if I stick to my new lifestyle. Once the last 13-20# are gone, I know I can keep that off too, if I stick to my new lifestyle. And I think I will, because its sustainable.

If you read the fine print on all those diet/exercise/pill programs, they all say that you have to MAINTAIN their program in order to see continued results. People like my sister - the Advocare rep, workout fanatic and fitness model hopeful - they can do that. The gym IS her hobby, so spending 3 hours there a day - no big deal. But most people can't do that. So after they spend weeks to months turning their life inside out to meet the demands of the program, lose some weight, go back to their original lifestyle, the weight comes back. Because the program offered them nothing for maintenance.

So the cleanse has finally, once and for all, put the final nail in the coffin that diet gimicks might just be the thing I need to get these last few pounds off. Because now that I'm close, and I'm back at it, I'm impatient. But I'm going to keep JUDDDing, and I'm going to keep potato-ing and I'm going to keep losing. Slowly. With real food. And sustainable results.

Besides, I can never remember to take all the dang pills anyway!
Old 11-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #138
Big Yapper!!!!

I have never done any type of cleanse, but I have to say that it really doesn't appears that any of them could make a permanent, lasting difference.

I'm very skeptical of all those pills. I'm not sure my body needs a "cleanse" either. I may have needed to lose weight or eat healthier, but a cleanse...

I take a shower twice a day thank you.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

I agree Carly. They use scary words like "toxins" and give you products that make you poo (although, these haven't made an appreciable change in that department), and you dramatically change your diet, weight drops and - voila - must be the cleanse!
The thing is, the kidneys and liver are really, really good at cleaning out toxins. So much more than a once-daily fiber drink would be!
I'm glad I did it because it put my mind back where it needed to be to fully embrace JUDDD again. Which is silly because I know it works. I'm just being impatient but I need to just chill out, relax and enjoy the journey. With my JBs!
Old 11-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Spiking blood sugar

I wanted to expand a tad on what I wrote above about eating cleanly, small meals every few hours.
The theory is that by eating low carb or complex carb with protein every few hours, you prevent the insulin spikes/crashes/binging from hypoglycemia and excessive fat storage. If we can keep blood sugars level, we're less likely to pack on the pounds and also to gorge. So the thought is that small, frequent protein heavy meals accomplish that.
You know what else accomplishes that? FASTING!!!
The added benefit of fasting is that it rests your pancreas, your liver and your intestines. Humans are not grazers. Our digestive tracts were not designed to process a steady flow of food. Horses & cows - yes. Humans - no.
(Some day I can go into the physiologic differences but today is not that day )
Old 11-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
While you were not posting, I found a comment from Dr. Mosley that I posted. A lady interviewing him said she would have a hard time on a low calorie day. He told her to just eat protein then.

We had several discussions about whether we had to count calories if we only ate protein. I think just eating protein is self limiting.

Glad to see you back.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #142
Big Yapper!!!!

So very interesting about the Advocare. I agree with you completely. Most people will lose weight following that plan whether they take the supps/cleanses or not! We could all have saved a lot of money over the years if we realized we don't need the pills, products, special foods, etc. But somehow we think if we spend money and follow someone else's plan, we'll be successful.

I'm so thankful I've found JUDDD and that it is so flexible. And really, there's no cost. I HAVE spent money on products I never would have bought before, but I'm also saving so much money overall with the fasting 1/2 the time, I can justify it, and have a savings overall.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
While you were not posting, I found a comment from Dr. Mosley that I posted. A lady interviewing him said she would have a hard time on a low calorie day. He told her to just eat protein then.

We had several discussions about whether we had to count calories if we only ate protein. I think just eating protein is self limiting.

Glad to see you back.
Thank you! Good to be back.

I think the theory of not counting protein calories would be the same way I don't count cals when I my potato days. I have in the past and I know I usually come in somewhere between 6-900 cals --> lower than a typical DD (where I aim for no more than 350-400) but I still lose. Different mechanisms but either way you're pulling from peripheral fat stores to metabolize and digest or for energy. So is it necessary to count every calorie? I don't think so. BUT I do think its possible to overeat the mechanism if you think "Well, I don't have to count cals so I can eat everything in sight, as long as its protein/potato/whatever."

On a similar note I told my dad today I was back at my ADF and he asked what my target was today - I told him no more than 400. He choked a little but then I said "Tomorrow I get to eat 1800 cals!" Since he's seen this whole journey but not really known exactly what I was doing, its not like he can't say its not working!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

The Cleanse Is Over

Today was supposed to be day 10 of the Advocare Herbal Cleanse. Instead of pouring the fiber drink into a cup and then down my throat, I poured it into the trash. I did take the probiotic pills cuz, well, why not.
I had my first cup of coffee this morning (with 1 TBS HWC) in 9 days. It was glorious!
Here's the TMI portion of the post:
Supposedly the herbal cleanse was supposed to empty you out, reset your gut flora and regulate the "going". I've never had a problem in that department - I've somewhat suspected my coffee & cream were a bit of a cathartic since shortly after waking and drinking my coffee I will need to use the bathroom. That hadn't been the case on the cleanse and on, I think, day 5 I took some senna pills at night so I could go the next day. All day yesterday (I didn't go yesterday at all) I was just so painful, gassy & bloated. I considered taking senna again but said screw it, tossed the products and let coffee & cream back into my life.
I had a very unhappy system this morning but at least I was able to go! I feel back to normal, and I'm quite happy about it.
Lesson learned: no gimmick, pill or product is a substitute for clean & healthy eating, or for JUDDD. JUDDD is the best. Period.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #145
Big Yapper!!!!

Lesson learned, Yennie, and through your experience (and telling of it), I have learned I do not want to try Advocare. Glad you're back to "plain" ol Juddd!
Old 11-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks! To be fair, Advocare does have a few supplements I'm still using but as far as a stand-alone diet plan - no thanks!
Anyhow, today's UD dawned with still a full tummy. I am not sure how I'm going to get my UD cals in today unless I go for some ice cream or chocolate or nuts or peanut butter. Or, all of the above
I baked one of our ham this morning and had a few bites. Even after just a few bites, I was FULL!! I've got a Reese's Peanut Butter Tree sitting here next to me. That'll be 170 calories towards my goal. Seriously - I get to eat PB trees. On a diet. Love love love this!!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

My relationship with food

We have this saying in science: Garbage in, garbage out.

I think this also applies to food. Now I'm not saying I don't love me some fried whatevers, greasy whozi-whatsits and sugar-filled thing-a-ma-bobs. Because I do. But I don't always love how they make me feel afterwards. And I seem to forget how they make me feel after. Lousy. Not always but they do.

The memory of "delicious" food seems stronger than the reality. Take last night. We had a coupon for my birthday month at this dinner place. In the times previous I had gotten a prime rib melt with fried onions and chipotle dipping sauce. In my head this was DELICIOUS!! TO DIE FOR!!! The actual food on my plate last night? - Meh. I ate it, not all of it, for there was too much, but the memory was so much more glorious than the reality. And I felt crappy last night to boot.

But some things remain as good as I remember. Burnt creme (creme brule) from Anthony's Home Port? Yep, still delicious! ...walk away from the burnt cream...

So how do I know? That's a tough one, and one I struggle with. My UD cals are so precious, I tend to get stuck in a rut of things I know I like. This is me anyway - ordering the same thing at a restaurant because if I try something new, I might not like it as much as the thing I know I like. But I'm super bummed about dinner last night and find myself continuously disappointed as things dont taste how I remember them tasting.

What has changed? Me? My standards? What my body wants? What I'm willing to waste calories on? I don't know, it just seems I want something delicious and when it isn't, I'm bummed.

And when I waste myself on junk, and it makes me feel junky too, then I just get mad.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #148
Big Yapper!!!!

Really great post, Jen. I could have written it, except that you are so much more eloquent than I am. I think part of the JUDDD magic is that we CAN have some of those delicious and formerly forbidden foods when we work them in, and so their mystical appeal lessens. Plus I do think when we are overweight and metabolically messed up (very scientific, eh?) sugary, salty, fatty things taste good to us. Like Twinkies. It's crap. We know it's crap. But it tastes so good you eat 5 of them. Not anymore!

I saw a video on some TV show - maybe Biggest Loser or something like that - where they showed how the brain pleasure centers of an obese person lights up real big when they see or smell food, but it lights up smaller when they are actually eating it. Because the pleasure is not as intense a high as they are looking for, they keep eating more. The lighting up of the non-obese are exactly the opposite - they get more pleasure out of the eating than the smelling/seeing. Quite interesting.

I'm sorry your dinner was a disappointment, but kind of interesting as a learning situation. I feel the exact same about my precious calories. They must not be spent on anything that is not absolutely wonderful and fulfilling. Our standards are going up!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Carol,
I think a lot about my relationship with food, and how things that were said to me as a kid affect how I view myself and my relationship with food now.
I think I've talked on the boards about my mom before. I don't know if I have in my journal, can't remember. Anyway, effortlessly skinny, tiny frame and ALWAYS giving me crap about snacks, my weight, etc. Now that I'm an adult she tries to tell me the reason we didn't have snacks, etc in the house was because we couldn't afford it and while that may be true, I felt (and still feel) like it was because she thought I was too fat. Even when I wasn't. And I don't entirely buy her money excuse because even when I'd eat something we had a lot of (fruit, veggies, cheese, frozen stuff) she'd always complain about me snacking between meals and tell me to watch what I was eating or I'd end up looking like "Aunt Gwen" (my aunt who is and always has been very heavy). Sure - telling me I'm going to look like Aunt Gwen, a woman my mom hates/hated for more than just her size, that's a positive body image to give a young girl.
Anyway, she's given me crap about my weight my whole life. Saying things like "If you'd lose <insert arbitrary number here> pounds, you'd be a knockout!" "With those boobs and that hair, if you'd lose weight, you could date any boy you wanted." Again with the amazing self esteem building. And way to tie a woman's self worth entirely with her physical appearance!
My mom's current husband, of 30+ years, does give her crap about how she looks as well. He's incredibly fit, and does so with ease, so he doesn't understand why everyone can't do it. One of those classic "fat people clearly have no willpower, you lazy slobs" people. (Yes, also charming for the chubby girl growing up.) He actually told her at one point to stop wearing tank tops (this was when they lived in the South Pacific) unless she planned to start working out to tone her arms because he was tired of looking at her flabby arms.
So of course my mom thinks all men view women this way. And has repeatedly, over the years, told me if I didn't lose weight/get skinny/tone up/whatever, whomever I was currently with would leave me. She actually told me the night before my wedding I was lucky T was willing to marry me since I hadn't lost all the weight I wanted to lose. Happy wedding day to me!
I think T and I had been married 3 or 4 years when he finally told her to shut up about it. She used to give me crap ALL THE TIME and he finally stepped in and told her to leave me alone about my weight. And she listened. Amazing!
Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago. Mom was here visiting and she had brought some jeans she got at a thrift store where she lives. They were just a bit too big for her but she thought they might work for me. They fit perfectly and turns out they're designer jeans. Something I'd never spring for but dang, I look pretty good in these jeans! (Side note: I might be buying me some more when I hit goal! They're that impressive!!!) Anyhow, at one point during her visit, I don't know where I was (work?) and Mom says to T, "Jen looks pretty good now, doesn't she?" and T, bless him, replied, "I think she's always looked good." And this, friends, is why I married him. And I love that he can support me as I struggle to work through this and be the strong support I need. What a guy

I feel like I should add that, over all, my mom & her husband aren't as bad as the above post make them sound. They actually are really great people and if they were as toxic as I've made them sound here I would have no qualms escorting them from our lives. Its just that weight is the one thing they're both hung up on, and mom has some men/relationship baggage as well. And these 2 things collide nastily in my world of weight loss. If this were a journal about, say, crafting, I'd be singing her praises since she's the craftiest, mot helpful teacher out there. So its all relative. And I love my mom & stepdad. So I don't want to vilify them. But I also think its important to try to recognize the root(s) of my food issues so I'm trying to work through them.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

And we're off!

We leave this afternoon for our annual year-end work trip. This trip was the beginning of the end which turned into the beginning for me last year. I'd been heavy - tried to lose summer 2011 and some of 2012 with low cal and increased exercise - FAIL. Had planned going into the holidays last year to start over with LC on Jan 1.
We went to Disneyland last year and I ate as though I was never going to see food again. I ordered 2 entrees. I ordered snacks. I ordered dessert. I finished other people's food. I got my jeans SOAKED within the first hour of the day on Splash Mountain and had to buy new, dry pants to wear. I somehow jaws-of-lifed myself into the largest pair of pants they offered in the park (size 12) and FREAKED OUT! It wrecked my self image of the slightly chubby but still fit-enough girl (warped self view, huh?). I was like - seriously? I can't find pants that fit at DISNEYLAND?!?!?! Ok, time to do something!! But of course it was the first weekend in December, all the parties and the treats and the and, and, and...
Of course, since I was "starting" Jan 1, I figured there's no point in depriving myself between now & then of all the yummy goodness I'll soon be deprived on Atkins. So I ate. And ate. And ate. Even if stuff wasn't that good I'd have 3 or 4 more because come Jan 1 I won't be able to.
I didn't weigh last December but I'd not be surprised to learn I gained 5-7# that month.
I have a plan of attack for this week-end. Saturday is supposed to be a DD. I'm only going to eat dinner. I will not snack all week-end long. I WILL NOT let the time of year derail me. I already know I can do "off plan" for a few days and not go crazy. And I also know that it only takes a few DDs to get back on plan. I'm already looking ahead to a few stints later in the month where I won't be willing/able to do EOD - a snow train trip, my birthday and our work potluck all 3 days in a row. But Dec 24th can be a DD then UD on Christmas!
Anyway, I'm working 1/2 day today then off to Universal Studios Hollywood, the Hard Rock Cafe and a fun weekend away from the freezing cold and stress of work. And I am really hoping to not totally blow it!
Last year: stuffed into size 12 - barely fit into the 12s I bought at Disney
This year: very comfortable size 8 - down 42# from 11 months ago. I have cheekbones! (Even if they are currently highlighted by the burn marks from the exploding potatoes!)
Have a good week-end all my lovely friends. I'll check in if I can!!!