Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Unfortunately, no. Part of the reason they're so baggy is because the lower thigh/knee area was stretched out of shape. I don't know when, but I suspect last year when I wore them when they were too tight.
Thanks for the monkey well wishes. He's about 80% but anything less than 100 isn't acceptable!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Updates: Some good news, some so-so news

The monkey went back to the doctor today. He's now on probiotics, and still off dairy. She recommended we get him lactose free milk since he loves his milk, and we just need to be careful which cheeses he eats. Course, who knows if he's actually BEEN off dairy since his lovely father forgot to tell the babysitter he's off dairy. I pick him up tonight and they tell me he had chocolate milk and a grilled cheese sandwich so he might not want dinner. Um...husband?!?! WTH??? I told them, they felt terrible but not their fault, they didn't know. So we'll see if this helps. If not, in 3 weeks, he's supposed to get some bloodwork. Yippie. Who wants to draw blood on the 3 year old? Not me!

Yesterday was a splendid DD. All liquid except for a 100 calorie bowl of rice. I had lemon water, sun tea, bone broth (which I know has calories). Oh, yeah, I made another batch of chicken bone broth and it was so much better than the last! This stuff is actually drinkable plain (well, with a bit of salt). In love with this stuff!

Today really is an MD. I just wasn't hungry. That's ok though because then tomorrow can be an UD and that makes Th an UD for that meeting thing I have to go to at the fabulous Italian restaurant!

So...why wasn't I hungry? My dang mood! Yesterday was bad - losing patience with my dogs and my son, which I am NOT proud of, yelling, which is something I hardly ever do. (My old dog HATES loud noises and will lay on the floor and shake if someone is even speaking in a loud voice from excitement - she's very sensitive!) Crying for no reason, constantly feeling like I'm going to cry for no reason. Today at work was kinda stressful and I thought I was going to lose it by the end of the day. After picking up the monkey I had to stop the car twice on the way from the sitter's to the store, less than a mile, so I could fight back tears. And over what?!?! Great question! I am stressed about our 2nd house (the one we left behind with renters when we moved...2 years ago. It needs tons of repairs and we really just want to sell it as we're losing money on it but I don't think we could sell it for what we owe and we don't have the liquid cash right now to pay off the difference in the loan...its kind of a mess). But still - I am not a crier.

Hubs wanted me to go to the doctor after my last big cry session but I'm stubborn. Plus, when would I go? If I have time to go to the doctor then I have time to go ride, go to yoga, go get a pedicure...something else I can do alone that would be much more enjoyable for me. Anyway so I've been researching natural mood stabilizers. I read a lot about St John's Wort which has several clinical studies backing its effectiveness out of Europe. The US studies don't show as much efficacy but I have some problems with some of those studies (especially so when one notices who funded the study and whether Eli Lily has something to gain or lose from a natural SSRI being marketed...) Anyway, I thought - it's worth a shot. So I stopped at the drug store and picked some up. I took it as soon as I got home and I have to say, I feel better. I did read that some people feel the effects right away and some people it can take a few days to build up in their system. Perhaps its a placebo effect. Honestly I don't care.

I had a wonderful evening playing outside in the sun with my little guy. We stayed up a bit later than usual so we could keep playing, and then read extra stories before bed. And I actually feel like eating, but since I'm not really hungry I made myself a nice beverage (not of the adult variety, sadly) so I'm enjoying that instead of eating. Its flavorful but without the calories of something like sweets.

I read someone on here complaining about how her skin started breaking out when she lost weight and someone else theorized that perhaps hormones stored in her fat deposits were being re-released into circulation with weight loss. I don't know if that's what is going on with me. I've never had any hint of a mental health issue before, and there are none in our family. I hadn't been particularly prone to PMS symptoms either, although when I did finally go off the pill to try to get pregnant, my first cycle off the pill I had a doozie of a PMS bout. But it stabilized after that. After the monkey was born I got the hormonal IUD (Merina I think its called) and I've had, maybe, 2 short (1-2 days) stints of PMS like behavior, but it always comes right before my period. Just like the name implies! But this whole episode has been like a 4-5 week stint of PMS. I am certainly able to function when I need to, and stuff gets done but I am almost constantly on the verge of tears, I have no energy despite getting plenty of sleep. In fact, tonight was the first night I picked up around the house in about a month. I was going to vacuum but wanted to play with the monkey instead.

Anyway, this turned out to be the world's longest post but I think getting it all out there has been very cathartic. I appreciate anyone who managed to wade through it all to the end cuz, dang! And I will keep taking my pills and see if they continue to help. But I think, now that I see what I wrote, if they don't, I will go to the doctor.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #93
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Aw Jen! You're really having a time of it. I'm so sorry this is such a struggle. I understand how when you're not a crying type of person, how disconcerting it can be to have tears overpower you like that. This has got to be a combination of stress and hormones. The perfect storm. I sure hope the St Johns Wort helps!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
SJW is popular in Germany. iirc, the concerns centre around:
  • is the brand/manufacture standardized effectively so that people know the dosage;
  • similarity to cytochrome P450 etc (just in case this is relevant);
  • interaction with immunosuppressants, combined BCP etc.;
  • aggravation of some mental health disorders (eg, psychosis as aspect of schizophrenia);
  • some reports of eye/skin photo-sensitivity.
(You know all of the above anyway.)

You are sounding like there's a fair amount to be stressed about in your life. I don't know if it's worth a chat with your family doctor to rule out depression? (You've not mentioned sleep disorders as opposed to sleeping soundly, diurnal variation in mood etc. None of my business, and I thought I'd throw them into the mix of 'things to be considered when self-diagnosing'.)

Again, irritating tho' it is, playing with the monkey will mostly always be a better use of your scarce time than tidying up.

Best wishes for this to clear or the reasons underlying it to dissipate.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:28 AM   #95
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Jen, I'm sending you .

I don't internet diagnose either, but you sound you like may have a touch of depression. It's very common and can start for no clear reason. Make an appointment with your PCP and get a good physical to rule out something medical and run your symptoms by her/him. Sadness that last for 4-5 weeks can indicate that something is going on. More
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you

Thank you ladies, your concern is very meaningful to me.
I had a fantastic night's sleep last night, woke up earlier than I'd hoped but felt great upon waking. Poor hubby is working a double today, so he's on from 8am-12am, will be home around 1am tomorrow morning. I'm up at 4am to get everything situated for taking the princess in for her vet appointment and won't likely be home until after he's gone to work. Then Th I might not come home since I have that meeting down south, and I work Th and Fri. So, in other words, I might not see him, or if I do it will just be in passing, until Friday night. Yikes!
Anyway I ended up waking up early enough that we got to sit and drink some coffee together this morning before he left so that was nice.
I'm feeling good, placebo effect? Don't know, don't care, as long as its working. I'm going to continue to take the meds.
Last night I took 600mg at once. I'm going to back down to 300mg in the morning and another 300mg mid-day. I take my CLA and GLA already at those time points so I can add one more med.
SS: I did read about those side effects and I'm very aware of them. The only thing I knew about SJW was from toxicology in school - causes photosensitization. Apparently in people as well. Which is a bit of a bummer as its finally nice and sunny in this corner of the world but I'm pretty good about using sunscreen. I was put on Reglan (metoclopramide) for lactation support when the monkey was first born. SJW and Reglan have similar potential mental side effects. My lactation nurse was pretty specific about things to watch for and, since I save everything, I dug out the checklist again. So I've got it posted in my bathroom. I also have 3 "support" people - husband, BFF and one of my co-workers - since I don't think anyone should be trusted 100% to police their own mental health. So I've got a good support system in place for trying this out. And finally I have a friend from school who is also an herbalist and acupuncturist. She recommended a source of medication so I could be as sure as possible it was going to be decent stuff. So I'm feeling pretty good about this course of action as a trial before going in. We'll see.
Thank you, again, ladies for your support & concern.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #97
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better this morning!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

And to add to my good mood today:
1) Banking problems (minor but still inconvenient) sorted out!
2) New low on the scale this morning!!! 167.6#!!! Still haven't hit my first goal for this decade - lose as much as the monkey weights (which is now almost 33#) but we're getting closer. I'm 4.1# from being considered overweight and no longer obese! Pumped for that milestone as well.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congratulations on your new low

You'll be so relieved when you hit 2 milestones (monkey & BMI) - they're so close together that it will be one triumph building on another.

It's good to read that you've got such a strong, observant IRL team watching out for you.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks SS.
Today's supposed to be a DD, but I'm kinda MUDDDing over these 72 hours or so. Yesterday was an UD but I fasted until dinner and ate some pizza. Not enough to be an UD but I had to get up so early this morning and we stopped by this fabulous doughnut shop. I have no idea how many calories were in the pinwheel I ate but that was the "end" of my UD, at 6am this morning. Then I transitioned to DD, fasted for about 7 hours, ate a HB egg, had another HB egg and now I'm drinking iced tea and bone broth. I'll continue to fast (or do liquids) through until dinner at my meeting tomorrow night. If I can't make it, I'll do potatoes. So my DD will be from 6am this morning until 6pm tomorrow night at which point I'm sure I will be breaking my fast with a fully loaded UD (possibly UUAD) worthy dinner!
The princess had her vet appointment today but I'm suddenly without energy, exhausted. I will update tomorrow with the results of her tests, since I still need to get the monkey to bed and get myself to bed as well.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Both HB eggs or potatoes seem to be decent foods for mono-food DDs.

I hope that Princess had a useful evaluation and helpful test results.

Good luck with your dinner meeting.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Long overdue update

Been an exhausting last few days. Work is picking up so no more down time to dink around on the computer. Which means that unless I'm home and available, no time to update my journal. And then our internet was down for about 24 hours so this is the first time I've had to sit down and write.

The princess
Of course, after a week off, she wasn't as sore when we went to the vet. We had to work pretty hard to get her to show him what we're seeing. After a lameness exam and some flexions, we blocked her stifle (knee) by injecting some numbing agent directly into the joint. She was much improved, although not 100%. Since she has some moderate muscle atrophy in her gluteals, we would not expect her to be 100% even if the block completely solved the problem. We did x-rays of her stifle and they were spotless, so this is good, kind of. We then injected the joint with hylaronic acid and steroids, gave her 2 days off and put her back to work. She worked yesterday and I rode her today. I'd say she is much improved, and our trainer said much improved but not perfect. We definitely had moments of naughty today but I only rode her for about 25 minutes and much of that was at the trot. It did not take forever to get her going, and she did actually GO! So I think she's better...for now. We will see how long she is good for, and if she continues to improve. If not, the next step is a bone scan and arthroscopy. Arthroscopy comes with a 10-12 month rehab so I'm really, really hoping she doesn't need surgery. We'll see how she goes.

Mood and diet wise, I'd say we're doing well. I'm still taking the SJW and feeling great. I ate breakfast Wednesday (the previously mentioned donut) and then fasted until dinner Thursday night. The dinner was fantastic! Had leftovers for lunch on Friday and went to burger night at the Legion last night. So 2 UD's in a row, kinda. Oh well. Today is a DD, fasted all day until I had some popcorn with my monkey and will do liquids to flush out the salt from the popcorn. Then tomorrow will be an UD. I am going to try to do 3 PDs M, T and W since I'm leaving for a horse show on Thursday. I always said, in the past, that horse show calories don't count Of course they do but it will be tough to do rotations or even count calories. Our team camps and takes turns providing meals for the group. So I only have to cook once but I get fed 3x/day. I know I don't have to eat, and I probably will fast as much as I can but some of it will depend on my ride times each day and how I'm feeling. I'd rather not pass out and fall off just so I can say I've stuck to my diet plan.

So things have been great and I'm really happy with how the horses are doing, how the diet is going and how the brain is functioning!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Another great ride on the princess today. I think that stifle injection is really working! Now its just for how long...fingers crossed no surgery!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #104
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better! And the good news about your horse. I think your eating plan while away sounds just right. I don't know how anyone could stick with normal rotations with that kind of schedule, activity, and proximity to so many other people. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
Awww glad to hear your horse is doing better, hopefully that injection does the trick!!!! Have fun at the horse show!!!!!!! Yeah it would be next to impossible to do much of a plan, with other people preparing your meals.
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good to see the positive news about the horses, diet and brain

It sounds like a sensible plan for the show. Any WOE has to be flexible enough to permit the enjoyment of events such as this and time with Friends and Family. Otherwise, I can't escape the misgivings that the attendant stress and social isolation outweigh any perceived benefit of staying rigidly on plan.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

New low this morning - 166.9#. First goal of the 160's achieved: I've now lost 32# which is what the monkey weighs. Funny stuff.
I'm on potato day #2 and its going well. I lost over 3# from yesterday morning to this morning. I know it was all water, obviously, and I could feel it in my fingers and - MAN - was I a frequent flyer in the potty yesterday!
As I posted about on the JUDDD boards, I'm getting a hydrostatic body composition test tomorrow. We'll see what I think of it - my brother who is a MMA fighter & body competitor thinks its a waste for me but I'd like to do it at least once.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #108
Big Yapper!!!!

WTG on the new low! Monkey weight! I'll look forward to hearing about the hydrostatic test. I figure on getting that when I'm closer to goal - right now the percentage of fat would still depress me to no end, I know. How is Mr Monkey feeling by now, BTW?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
New low this morning - 166.9#. ...!
As I posted about on the JUDDD boards, I'm getting a hydrostatic body composition test tomorrow. We'll see what I think of it - my brother who is a MMA fighter & body competitor thinks its a waste for me but I'd like to do it at least once.
Congratulations on the new low and the milestone of having shed Monkey weight (this sounds like something that belongs in a Garrison Keillor story like all the family expressions such as, 'Up to the 3rd bird').

Good news on the potato hack working quite the well for you although it has its inconveniences from the sound of it...

I think that body composition may well give you some useful data. BMI is as crude as you've commented and it's just a proxy for bodyfat. It would be interesting to have a baseline against which to judge future changes and it may well be helpful in guiding goals (I'm considering a Body Pod analysis as hydrostatic isn't available to me).
Old 06-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Hydrostatic Body Composition Testing

I posted this in the JUDDD forum as well but wanted it here too. SS: it was really awesome and totally worth it. It was pretty interesting how it was the same in some ways but also very different than the BMIs!

So I had my testing this morning. I would have loved to report in earlier but we had some issues with a fence, a steer and my husband's unwillingness to let all our hard work raising the beef go to waste when I shot the damn thing for climbing the fence...again! 1600' of fence repair + electric wire later...

Anyway... First, I am apparently 5'3" - I guess I grew. My weight this morning, on their scale, wearing only a swimsuit, was 167.8. This is 0.9# higher than my weight yesterday morning on my scale at home (neeked) so I'm pleased that they align closely. I had to climb in the tank, hook my toes under a bar, place a weight belt over my lap and lay back in the water. Holding my nose, I was to blow out all air in my lungs as apparently any left is recorded as fat. It was actually pretty unpleasant - the blowing out part, but I have a pathological fear of drowning and not being able to breathe so maybe for someone else it would be ok. I had to do it 3 times as I did not blow out enough air the first time. They take readings until they get 2 that are close. All told, I was in the water less than 5 minutes, and only under 6-9 seconds each time. The water was a very pleasant 94 degrees.

So, the results! My body fat % today was 32.9%, lean body mass of 112.5 leaving me with 55.3# of fat. This jives with the highest numbers I got from the various online calculators I used. It actually means that the BMI underestimates my degree of "obesity" because, as of today, with my new-found inch in height, according to my BMI I am no longer obese!!! However, obese is also considered having a body fat % above 30% so for that measure, I still am. Interesting...

With a lean body mass of 112.5#, even the tester agreed that a goal, for me, of 130# might be pretty extreme. He recommended I aim for 146#, which puts me at 23% body fat, which is the high end of the "acceptable" range. Not that I can't go lower, but that would be a good, healthy goal for the way I'm put together and then I can re-evaluate when I hit that point. He said 140# would probably be the lowest I'd be able to achieve reasonably, without a significant loss in lean body mass or devoting my life to body-building style workouts of several hours a day. That's not happening.

Interestingly, my resting metabolic rate was 1607, which he thought was low. He wondered if my fast weight loss did not slow down my metabolism and asked if my weight loss had slowed in the last few months. It has, kinda, but that's because I did a few breaks and a week of maintenance and haven't been doing my rotations correctly. I did not tell him about JUDDD, and when asked how I'd lost the 32# I told him I'd already lost, I just said, "Diet and exercise" which is my standard answer. He tried to sell me their diet book which I said I would check out online and I will, but I like JUDDD.

So that's the report!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

I'm headed to bed, and then off to a horse show out of town until Sunday night. I may try to check in but its hard to post from my phone and cell reception is pretty sketchy where I'll be.
Hope everyone has a great week-end!!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #112
Big Yapper!!!!

Very, very interesting! Thanks for taking the time to share all of that. It makes me feel more comfortable about having it done down the road a bit.

Good luck at the horseshow. Safe travels!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Just checking in. We had a great trip down, a good school and beautiful warm up for dressage on Friday. Unfortunately some tension in the ring brought down our overall score and we ended the day 21 out of 25. Today was cross country and my guy is a machine! Spot in perfect to every fence, over the ditch, through 2 waters. We even jumped a pirate ship! He is so amazing!! No jump penalties and our time was good so that moved us up to 15th. Tomorrow we show jump and if I can leave up the rails, time should not be a problem. There is the potential to move up in the standings...they place and pay prize money to 12th so I'd really like to get up there but I have to be clean and then its all luck!
Having a blast, and not entirely mindlessly eating. Fasting til dinner Th and Fri. Today I ate more than I should have but oh well.
Off to bed, the pony all tucked in dreaming of clean show jumping tomorrow!!
Old 06-16-2013, 01:33 AM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's certainly not every day nor everywhere that one might read about jumping pirate ships.

What an exciting few days with more to come and you're still in with a chance for points and a higher placing. Good luck with the show-jumping rounds.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #115
Big Yapper!!!!

Sounds great Jen! I'm wishing you good luck for today's events - hoping you're in the money!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
Good luck tomorrow!!!!!!!!!
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Well unfortunately we did not win any money. We had 1 rail and some time penalties in show jumping and that knocked us out of the standings for the moo-lah. But the positive is that we identified some very specific holes we need to fill before heading to an even bigger event in Montana.
Yesterday was just another day in the food world, and this morning I clocked in at 170.2. Ug. I'm sure some of that is bathroom issues and some of it is weird water issues from the show this week-end. I did a potato DD today so we'll see where we're at tomorrow morning. Depending on what I see on the scale, I may do an UD, I may do a PHD (potato hack day). I'm still getting used to the new numbers for my "new" height. At 140 pounds I would be considered "normal" on the BMI scale. Its only 4# higher than the 136 that would have put me "normal" at 5'2" but seems so much more do-able. Mental, I know. I'm leaving my goal, for now, at 146 so I can see what I think when I hit a normal body fat percentage of 23%. Assuming all of the 20# I lose to get there is fat and not LBM.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #118
Big Yapper!!!!

Welcome home! Sorry you didn't win any money, but you see the positives and can do better at the next show. Yep, I'll bet the weight is fluid retention etc and will come right off. You know what to do, and what works for your body.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks! I've been watching your ticker...so, so, so close to ONEderland!!! Its pretty awesome to "know" you - you're such an inspiration!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #120
Big Yapper!!!!

You're sweet! I'm so glad to "know" you too! And yes, it's tantalizing to be so near. It's going to tease me for awhile I fear...