Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Yennie, Sunday lured me over to the PH thread because of her postings about RS on JUDDD.

PHD is certainly an interesting plan. I hope that it helps you to heal cleanly and within a helpfully rapid timescale.

How is your son? Fever etc. over and done with or hanging around, making a nuisance of itself?

I add myself to the list of people who enjoy reading about your horses, fields etc.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just dropping this in because I saw Trillex post it and you may well find parts of this interesting (particularly the discussion of βOHB and the ketotic state of neonates as well as a discussion of cows as per a recent post of yours): http://www.med.upenn.edu/timm/docume...8-9Lazar-1.pdf

The notion of starvation and degrees of caloric restriction has been on my mind since the 'exercise and starvation mode' thread. I attended some exhibitions of the Scott Polar expedition and there were remarkable (and quite distressing) photographs and film of some of the men who'd been accidentally marooned for a while and subsisted/starved in very harsh physical conditions. And I recently reread the Warsaw Studies of starvation (the scientists etc. who gathered data on themselves and others while being deprived of adequate calories during the siege of the Warsaw Ghetto).

Last edited by SlowSure; 05-22-2013 at 07:31 AM..
Old 05-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
This is awesome, thanks. I'm on my phone at the moment but will check this out more thoroughly when I get home.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Been a rough couple of days

I haven't weighed in a few days. I didn't want to weigh after my UD because I could still feel the food in my tummy. Yesterday was a pretty awesome DD because after my coffee, I had a few pieces of potato. Then I went to "just lay down" at 3:30 and ended up sleeping until 9:30pm. Was up for a drink, trip to the potty and back to sleep. Slept long enough in the morning that I didn't have time to weigh and I've decided to do proper JUDDD rotations until my stitches come out. Coffee with HWC for breakfast, out to Mexican (!) for lunch with a girlfriend, Wendy's small chili for dinner/snack, then some popcorn & a Skinny Cow ice cream to round out my day. I wasn't going to do the popcorn or ice cream but I had the calorie allotment and I decided that part of my mental success with JUDDD is to not deprive myself. I'm more likely to have a successful DD tomorrow if I eat what I want today.
The monkey is still not well, his fever is gone but he's still not 100%. Having some potty problems - lots of trips & loose stools - and not feeling well, tummy troubles.
My hand is doing well, I actually did a short surgery today. Double gloved for the patient's protection as well as my own, good think it was short as the 2 pairs of gloves put a little more pressure on the stitches than I could tolerate much longer. I won't do anything else too involved or anything really major until the stitches are out. Its not ideal but I was the only Dr today so...
A bridge on the major north/south interstate over a river collapsed tonight. I use this bridge 2x/day when I go to work. Awesome. I was in Minneapolis when the 35W bridge collapsed. Maybe I'm a hex?
Anyway, I have nothing terribly encouraging or inspirational to add. Just wanted to check in.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #65
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Sorry your monkey is not up to par, and I hope he'll be running you ragged again very soon. Your hand sounds like it's progressing, and for doing that surgery today. I'm sure your patient's people appreciated it.

The bridge thing....spooky. But I won't blame you unless you were near the Bay Bridge in 1989 too!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

No Bay Bridge in 1989 but we've decided we probably shouldn't move again or some structure over water will surely collapse about 2 years after we arrive.
Today's commute wasn't bad. I left myself 90 minutes to get to work (usually its about 45) and only used about 50 of those. Took me 15 minutes to get from my work to the Interstate, a trip that used to take about 4, but that route is no longer available as it covers said bridge. The route I took, which would normally take about 7-10 minutes, only took 15. Once I was on the Interstate there wasn't much traffic because, well, it was all coming from town so there was a trickle effect!
Today was a DD and I chose to potato it. Some roasted potatoes left over from dinner the other night, some rice from the deli counter at the grocery store nearby (they offer plain steamed rice as an option, something that has saved my PDDs multiple times in the past!) and then a baked 'tater with some broth and 1 TBS FF Sour cream (I'm out of LC cheese!) for dinner. I kinda want to run tonight but will see how I feel after chores are done. I might just go to bed as I stayed up too late last night watching coverage of the bridge. I'm a little afraid getting my heart rate up will make my hand hurt (you know, how it pounds?) and I'm not up for that tonight.
I might actually weigh tomorrow. I didn't even cheat on the scale at work- I've kinda figured out when I weigh there in my scrubs how much to adjust it to match my scale at home. Didn't even look. I still feel food in my guts, bloated like, so I'm thinking I may want to go back to a PH for a while sooner than I thought. I don't care for the feeling of being "full" - its weird.
And there is now an alarm/siren/boat or fog horn blasting in the bay that's about 1 mile west of me. Its atrociously loud considering how far away it is. Hmmm, wonder what's going on. Not gonna go find out!
Old 05-25-2013, 02:08 AM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good grief, you live in exciting times. A foghorn blasting like that is so often the dramatic portent in cinema noir.

Are you thinking of trying the BRM unmodified potato starch to see if it assists your microbiota/microbiome?

Best wishes to you and your son for swift recoveries from your respective ailments.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

I'm not sure - I need to see if I can find some locally that is affordable.
I purchased some plantains and dried them with salt. I am not crazy about them but they are edible. Hard when I grew up eating them fried But I think that will help.
I'm convinced my stomach troubles are still stemming from the percocet I took last week. I ended up weighing this morning - 170.0, but I know I need to go potty still.
We're headed to the pediatrician. We had some pretty impressive gastro-intestinal pyrotechnics this morning, from both ends. That combined with the fever & he's had diarrhea for the last week. I called the nurse to see if we could get an appointment for Tuesday (its a long holiday week-end here) and she suggested we come in today. So we're off in a few hours. Poor monkey. He acts fine, except when he doesn't.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger food

Well I found a trigger food for me - sushi.
Today was supposed to be a DD - note the operative word - supposed.
I was doing fine until we went to take my son's samples to the lab. I got an iced coffee & he announces he's hungry. So I get him something from the coffee stand, which he then decides he doesn't want. Does mama have the willpower to not eat it? No.
But then I think well, if I stick to liquids the rest of the day then I'm actually still ok for DD cals, even though this is clearly not a good choice. Still salvageable.
Then we go to the grocery store on our way home from the lab. I'm usually ok shopping on a DD, but the guy at the deli counter was making fresh sushi, its been a while since I've had any so I caved & bought a pack of Philadelphia rolls. And ate them all.
I don't know what it was but it did not go well. Not tummy troubles - I'm still having those from the Percocet but woozy, light headed, space-cadet like. I ended up napping when the monkey napped (which I hardly ever do) and woke up feeling terribly hypoglycemic and sick. Raging headache. Ended up gorging on some Mexican casserole we had left over which did not make me feel better, now I feel worse.
The fantastic thing about JUDDD is that I know I can jump back in rotations and this won't bugger me up. I'm just wondering about this food reaction - never happened before.
I'm also wondering why I think that eating more food is the answer when my guts are still messed up. If anyone ever needed to fast, its me right now, But I keep eating, eating, eating. I need a laxative, I think, I need to clean myself out. This is getting ridiculous!!!
On a separate note, I found potato starch, brand "Swans"; the store carried lots of different BRM products but no potato starch. This was advertised as being for thickening soups & sauces and such. I didn't buy it because I wasn't sure if it would be the right stuff. I need to do some research.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
On a separate note, I found potato starch, brand "Swans"; the store carried lots of different BRM products but no potato starch. This was advertised as being for thickening soups & sauces and such. I didn't buy it because I wasn't sure if it would be the right stuff. I need to do some research.
Drive-by comment for now. There's lots of potato starch available in the uk but it's pre-gelatinised (ie, the wrong sort, not that the label informs you of this). BRM is the only one I've found that is unmodified (not pre-gelatinised and you need this for the resistant starch (crudely, the difference between raw and cooked potato when it comes to RS content).

I've had to pay daylight robbery prices (as my mother would have said) to order some so I'll be curious to try it and monitor the effects.

Last edited by SlowSure; 05-27-2013 at 12:25 AM..
Old 05-27-2013, 05:25 AM   #71
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Just being nosy and reading your blog, Yennie, but you should be able to find BRM potato starch at Walmart for under $5.00. A few of the grocery stores in my town carry BRM here too, and I live in a relatively small city. You should be able to find it without much trouble.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Just being nosy and reading your blog, Yennie, but you should be able to find BRM potato starch at Walmart for under $5.00. A few of the grocery stores in my town carry BRM here too, and I live in a relatively small city. You should be able to find it without much trouble.
Read away friend, that's what its here for.
I will look at WalMart as well, thank you. The one in the town where I work has a very nice selection of food stuffs so I will look there. I need to go get more CLA/GLA anyway. I was surprised that this particular store didn't have it since they had such a great selection of other BRM products.

I am, on a separate note, happy to report, that my tummy troubles seem to be resolving. Last night before bed I took 4 senna laxative pills. The directions on the bottle say to take 1-2. They didn't work at that dose when I was taking 4 Percocet a day post c-section. So I took 4, and drank about 30 ounces of water. Slept on it and woke up this morning to some pretty serious rumbling. Add in my coffee with HWC (which, honestly, usually does the trick by itself) and things are finally moving!

I think I'm going to do another course of 14 days of Prilosec. My upper abdomen is painful again. If I can get this figured out, and adding the potato starch helps, I'm going to be one happy camper. I will not be taking Percocet EVER again. The few pills I had remaining went straight into the controlled substances disposal at work. Never, never again. The pain relief was so not work the aftermath.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Potential TMI Alert

3 trips to the potty later... I decided to weigh myself. 168.2#!!! This is my low weight, so I'm very happy to be back to it. Its been 9 days since I've seen that on the scale, I was starting to freak out. That's a lot of why I took the pills last night. And, this is after 2 UDs in a row. Today will also be an UD as I already have plans I'm not changing. Back on the wagon Tuesday.
So, I have literally been full of sh!* this last week. I said that to hubby who laughed and told me he always knew that...my brown eyes give me away He says it with love.
I'm very pleased to have that resolved. Or in the process of resolving. Course, now I'm thinking - gee, if I'd managed to have a proper DD yesterday I might have seen a new low today! Oh well, I'm just happy things are moving. I'm not working tomorrow so I'm tempted to take another set of pills tonight to make sure the pipes are clean...we'll have to see how the day goes. I've heard senna can be habit forming and I'm very uninterested in needing the pills all the time.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #74
Big Yapper!!!!

That is definitely a relief! One of the worst feelings to not be able to go. And a lesson learned about the Percocet. Congratulations on being back to your low, and now onward and downward!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Some NSVs

1) I've been wearing my wedding rings now for 3 days straight, only taken off to ride. This is nothing new, I always take them off to ride. I quit wearing them consistently in, maybe, 2011? I've realized now that my fingers got fat and they were too small. I have 2 thicker bands and I guess, as they moved, the skin got pinched between the 2 rings. I would have a raw, open wound in just hours. It was really devistating to me not to be able to wear my rings. I didn't realize at the time it was weight gain, I thought I had maybe developed an allergy or something. But now that I'm down 30# I can wear them again. So far so good, no wounds! I'm thrilled! Maybe, when I hit goal, I might even have to have them made smaller! Wouldn't that be cool!! (Except the expense...)

2) My fancy-schmancy white show breeches fit! Ok, I had some spanks on but still, they fit. I'm still not going to wear them to the show that is in 17 days because they're not quite good enough to risk them in public yet. And also I want to save them for Montana since they are in pristine condition. (Any idea how hard it is to keep white pants clean whilst riding horses?) I also got my jacket buttoned although its still a bit of a tight squeeze and I'm really not sure I should wear it quite yet. I'm taking my other one to be dry cleaned just in case. Funny - last year THAT coat was a sausage casing and now it hangs off me. But it would be fine for 1 show before Montana. I have 57 days (not that I'm counting ) before Montana and I think if I could lose 2 more inches around my chest/back/upper stomach area my new, tighter coat would be perfect. Here's hoping!

3) EAGLE POSE!! I can now get the full double bind of both my arms and legs! The legs are huge! The last time I tried Eagle post was November or so and the best I could do was kickstand my non-support leg. Wrapping it behind my support leg was not happening! And the most exciting thing about this NSV is I'm not really actively practicing yoga right now, so its not an increase in flexibility! I've lost about 3-3.5" off each upper thigh which allows for a tighter bind during the wrap.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
You are really doing great!

I'm sure your smaller outfits will fit in 57 days!

Congratulations!!
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks everyone!
My shorts came for the 1/2 marathon in Vancouver in August. They're super cute! I got size 8s in the hope that I'd be able to wear them longer. They go on but are just a little snug for regular wear right now. They're not really stretchy so I have some inches to go before I can wear them for realz.
I'm also very excited today because I am (95% sure) that I will be on a Ski-To-Sea team for next year! Ski-To-Sea is a 90+ mile, 7 leg, 8 (wo)man team relay race starting at Mount Baker and ending in Bellingham Bay. The legs are XC ski, downhill ski, run, road bike, canoe (2 people), mountain bike and kayak. I will be running. The run leg is a little over 8 miles with a 2,200 foot elevation DROP. Ha ha! That should be pretty easy!
So far its me and a kayaker! But I think it will be pretty easy to fill the rest of the team, we both have lots of friends who routinely participate.
Today is a DD, potatoes and rotisserie chicken. Had a "big" lunch and hoping to hold off eating again until a bit of a snack before bed.
I've been pretty out of sorts lately. Dull, lethargic, want to cry for no reason. I'm usually so upbeat and self-sufficient its hard to think about something like depression. I finally broke down and told Hubby today about how I was feeling. Had a good cry & got some good hugs. I'm already feeling better so who knows. I'll be heading to the horse show in 2 weekends alone (well, with the horse and my team but no dogs, kids or husbands) so maybe that will be a good break for me.

Last edited by Yennie; 05-28-2013 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Hit enter too soon
Old 05-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I like the sound of the ski to sea event (I'm fond cross country skiing, road cycling and kayaking.)

I'm sorry to learn that you've been feeling so out of sorts. I hope that your hand and mood improve in a timely fashion.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #79
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Wow you have had some LIFE ISSUES lately! I hope you are feeling better after the talk! I am watching, can't wait to see your numbers go DOWN DOWN DOWN
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Monica, although funny you should say that...
I bounced back up to 170.0 this morning, after a pretty decent DD, although it wasn't entirely a PDD. I'm really, really frustrated. I've now been bouncing the same 2.5# for almost 3 weeks. I know that's not long enough to really be considered a stall yet but I'm getting disgustingly sick of seeing it.
I'd love to lose another 15# between now & Montana, which is 56 days away. That's less than 2#/week which I think is doable. But not if I keep bouncing the same 3 pounds!
So I've been contemplating an extended PH, or jumping ship and doing something like Stillman's QWL until those pounds come off. Funny enough, for some reason my brain is ok with the restrictions of the PH but Stillman's sends shivers of fear through me! They're both uber restrictive so I wonder what the difference is. It isn't as though I don't have enough eggs...we get 6-8/day!
Part of why I want to hack, vs Stillman's is the bounce that comes from transitioning off Stillman's. I've been reading their boards to try to figure out how those folks transition to maintenance. At least I know what to expect from the PH, no idea what Stillman's will do to me. And I'm scared to try it for a week because the gals over there talk about 1 cheat meal = loss of 1 week's progress. UG! I don't know what to do! Be patient, let my system adjust, focus on NSVs...yeah, I know. But I'm just not in a place where I can do that right now.
My young mare is having some troubles with her right hind again and we may end up doing minor surgery to alleviate it. I need to get some more info, and get both her trainers on board but I'm so sick of throwing money and time at a horse that isn't making improvements from what is, I believe, a physical problem. We'll get it sorted out, I just saw her go on the lunge today and was appalled at how bad she looked.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
Stillmans is hardcore-you will lose on it, the plainer you make it the more you will lose, it is one of those where it is essential to drink lots of water, but I thought I would warn you that it does cause constipation( since you just had to deal with that) if you want to try it then you should even if you did just a week and then went back to the your ph, along with stillmans qwl there is a stillmans maintenance type diet, even if you did bounce back up some after stillmans you wouldn't gain it all back if you went back to what you are doing now. I am frustrated being the same weight I was 5 days ago, as much as I have to lose it should not be so stubborn! But you have had a lot of stuff going on here lately it sounds like which could be why you are stuck ,with the different meds etc. I was reading some stuff on vitamin d3, obese people seem to be highly deficient and can't lose well dieting but when they start taking d3 they can start losing weight, so it isn't a weight loss drug but it could play a crucial part in the being able to lose, I am thinking about maybe trying it, but I am still hoping for a whoosh soon
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the input on Stillman's. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do but I think I need a bit of a maintenance break. I haven't been doing rotations or potato days now for...well, my last DD was Tuesday when we went to Costco. I haven't been going nuts but I am eating. I'm kinda doing a window thing - basically coffee with SF vanilla syrup & HWC in the morning. This morning though, I did have some FF greek yogurt with blueberries, pecans and honey. Not a ton but it lasted me through the morning. Then nothing until dinner. Yesterday just coffee then dinner. So I guess I'm doing an eating window. That's a form of IF.
Anyway, I need to decide what I'm going to do. I'm giving myself through the week-end to figure my stuff out and then back on a plan. I'm not going to weigh until Monday morning. Watch - I'll lose. Ha ha ha. Just kidding, I probably won't.
On another note, the princess has her Drs appt scheduled for Wednesday. She's finally going to get the workup we should have done a year ago. Thankfully the insurance will cover it as I expect the bill to run $1-3k. Yikes!
Old 05-31-2013, 03:22 AM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's so difficult to think this stuff through. I look like I'm gaining on my maintenance break (3lbs so far) but I've enough bits and pieces going on, and a rock-solid certainty that I haven't eaten 10,500kcals excess in the last week, to be sure that this is inflammation, water etc. rather than fat. (Put it this way, I didn't eat anything like 10,500kcals in total in the past 7 days, never mind excess.)

I want to start road cycling again (I haven't done it since early March). And I'd like to introduce an extra weight-training session. These aren't in line with promoting fat loss if I eat at my normal JUDDD levels rather than maintenance. But, I'm desperate to start cycling again and I want to make progress with the weights (we're talking Barbie weights but even so).

That's a lot about me - but I'm describing that I'm going through similar WOE v. exercise needs conflicts at present. I haven't fully made up my mind as to what I'll do.

Sympathies for Princess' bills. I think repairing my broken teeth looks like it will cost the equivalent of $1800 (and that's if it is straightforward).
Old 05-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #84
Big Yapper!!!!

Sorry you're struggling with plan/losses. It's so frustrating when what was humming along so nicely and working so well just....stops. At least it feels that way when the scale stops moving downward. My head knows that it still IS working, and good stuff is still going on the ol' bod, but I want losses! Pounds, inches, clothing sizes...something!

Maintenance break has been great for me. I realize that I'll probably need to go back to more regular JUDDD soon to keep the losses going. And if I'm losing well again I'll be more willing to restrict my DDs more again. I've also been thinking about trying a meat/egg fast along with JUDDD, but haven't decided for sure. With summer fruit season upon us, I'm really wanting to enjoy those things.

I know you'll figure out what you want to do. A maintenance break may be just what you need. Mentally and physically. Hang in there girl! You've had a lot going on lately, with you and son being sick, your injury, your horses' issues. Give yourself a break!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks gals.
SS: I always appreciate your input - especially since we seem to have the same interest in reading materials Its interesting to me that you're struggling with the exercise/no exercise problem when you're so close to you target weight. I'll be interested in knowing what you decide.
LCG: Thank you too. I have been reading about yours & Christina's maintenance/higher DD breaks. That's part of what I've been thinking about when I have been thinking about a break.
Part of why I want to maybe go low carb/high protein is that WOE promotes exercise as part of the regime. I did well on Curves with exercise in the past and I must start running. If I don't, August 10th is going to be incredibly painful. So I think I'm just going to have to suck it up and do it. I'm not sure what WOE I'll use with the running but I have to strap on the shoes.
In fact, I'm sitting here in my running shorts & tank as I type this waiting for my son to fall asleep. Bedtime was a bit delayed as our new neighbor came visiting to introduce himself. Once I'm sure he's asleep, I think I'll go do some HIIT intervals on the road. They're quick, then I can do chores before it gets too dark.
Here's a wrench: next Thursday night we're having a CE meeting at THE. ABSOLUTE. BEST. EVER Italian restaurant in the state. So whatever WOE I decide on, it will either include, or not begin until after, Thursday. If Monday is a DD, then Thursday would be an UD...
Old 05-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

So I ended up going for that run tonight. I did a mile warm up jog (12:44 pace) and then 3x 20s sprints. My tracker showed by sprint pace was a 4:34 minute mile. Yeah, no way I'm keeping THAT up for longer than 20 seconds. That's like Olympic marathoner pace. It was all I could do to keep that up for 100m or so, I don't see how people do it for 26.2 miles!! Insane!!
After I unloaded 350# of feed and did chores. I tried to do some upper body workout but it hurt my hand
Stitches are supposed to come out tomorrow. That's 2 weeks. But I think I'm going to leave them in until Sunday night or take them out at work on Monday morning. I have a schooling show on Sunday to practice my dressage tests for the upcoming Events, and I don't want to split it open riding. It shouldn't, in theory, but who knows. Won't hurt to leave them in an extra day or 2...except that it itches terribly!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

I caved and took the stitches out yesterday. For some reason they began it itch abominably and I just could not take it anymore.
My "maintenance break" isn't going very well. Apparently I'm not at a point yet where I can be allowed to eat without rules. The last few days have been, well, not appropriate. Nothing obscene, like a whole pizza or 3 Big Macs & fries, but... Like, yesterday I had coffee & a bagel with 1 wedge LC cheese for breakfast, lunch out at the BBQ place (Chopped brisket sandwich, onions & spicy baked beans) and an egg salad sandwich with lettuce & avocado & chips for dinner. Last night, and still this morning, my system is unpleased with the amount of food & garbage I've been stuffing down it. Friday at work was bad too - one of our gals went to the dollar store and got crackers, peanut butter waffers, honey pretzel sticks, all snacky stuff I love but avoid like the plague. But because I wasn't "on a plan" I felt like that was carte blanche to over-indulge. Can't do that anymore!!
So as of today, I'm back on a plan. I'm potato-ing today, I'm not sure if I'll do JUDDD rotations or a potato hack until Thursday. Since I have that dinner on Th, I need to plan around that then back on a plan. I'm even modifying my planned dinner for our outting next week-end (Father's Day week-end) so I can make it fit within whatever plan I choose.
Time to get back on the horse!!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yennie, you're the one who ate them, not me, but that's just sounding like you ate 3 sandwiches which, doubtless incorrectly, doesn't read like any big thing to me? Particularly not as eating off-plan goes, never mind heading out on a runway towards an UUAD. However, as you're so unaccustomed to eating bread and potato chips, I can understand how the amounts of these might make you feel uncomfortable.

OT, I'm more than a little uncomfortable eating just a tbsp of potato starch at a time but I'm persevering for some reason that's not entirely clear to me. I think I'm intrigued by resistant starch having fibre-like properties but not actually being fibre.

Stitches do get horribly itchy and unbearable after a while don't they. I hope that the wound continues to heal cleanly for you.

Is your son OK? (Ignore this if it's intrusive.)
Old 06-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Is your son OK? (Ignore this if it's intrusive.)
Thank you for asking. All his tests came back negative, and he's been off dairy for over a week but he still is having problems. He's going back on Monday. If I give him the children's pepto then he starts to get firmer but I'm not really thrilled about just loading him up with calcium carbonate until it goes away.

Today I'm DDing it. I guess. Its almost 4pm and I've only had liquids. I had a fantastic outing to a horse show this morning. We got some of our best scores ever and even scored a 9 (out of 10) on a movement. I've never gotten a 9 before! And my breeches were a bit too big and They are my favorites so I'm sad they're too big.

Thank you too, S, for your kind words regarding my "off plan" eating. I finally decided this morning that I will go back to JUDDD and potato days/hacks. I've been reading Stillman's but the thing that did it for me was that 1) I can lose an average of 0.7#/day on the potato hack, same as Stillmans, 2) for some reason mentally the potatoes seem so much more doable than the protein and 3) coming off the PH for a day or a meal does not cause the dreaded 5# bounce I see so many discuss with Stillman's. So there is it. I'd hoped today to be an UD so Thursday is also an UD but I guess I'll be using the almighty potato to make the swap so my meeting Thursday night doesn't throw me for a loop!

I'll sort it out. I might weigh tomorrow morning...we'll see...
Old 06-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #90
Big Yapper!!!!

It really is a mental thing, isn't it, having a break. I've always been an all or nothing girl myself. Either I'm on plan and in control or I'm off any plan and, oh boy! For me, my maintenance break is totally on plan, albeit a more relaxed one.

Congratulations on the horse show results! And the loose-fitting pants! Can they be altered? At this very moment I'm at my mom's and she's sewing away on some of my too-large tops. I'm supposed to be learning how, but I think it's easier on both of us if she does most (read all) the work!

Hope your monkey gets to feeling better real soon.