LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sicca
Stats: 170/135/135
WOE: Atkins with a bit of Paleo
Start Date: March 2012
My So Called Low Carb Life

I've finally decided to start a journal on LCF since I am here stalking way too often, it's time I share my struggles and triumphs!

If any of you have been on the atkins diet bulletin board you may have noticed I have a journal of the same name started not too long ago. I just want to keep it simple, and the name really does apply.....

I am in maintenance. Yay!! Right? Well not really. Sure it's great to be at goal and all that hard work paid off. However the hard work has really just begun. I've learned that I can never really go back to the way I was eating before, at this time I don't want to, but it's something I've had to accept and move on with. I also have to keep up with the workouts......I'm no spring chicken anymore, my body needs to MOVE and I need to motivate myself on a daily basis.....UGH!!!!

No, I really do like to exercise.......

Anyway Maintenance is HARD for me. Which is why I need these journals to keep me straight....It's like therapy! I'll write about my food of course, my thoughts and ideas on new recipes (and twists) on low carb eating, and I'll pepper in a few tid bits about my life in general.

A little background:
in 2006 my then boyfriend proposed to me on the big screen at a Red Sox game in Fenway Park. I said YES. I was at my heaviest...

Roughly 170 lbs, on a short 5'4" frame, I pushed almost 200 lbs after having kids....I know it's just a small amount compared to the many success stories around here, but I was always around 130-135 in High School and most of my 20's, however like with many people after college "adult" sedentary life sort of took over. Ya know quick meals out of a box, beer, ramen noodles....Well after I got engaged I decided to make a change. I went with Atkins and one year later lost almost 40 pounds!

I kept that weight off for a while, but then came the kids. I have two, my son will be 4 later this month, and my daughter is about 2 1/2. Yeah I'm BUSY!! Last year I hopped on the exercise and atkins wagon and got all the baby weight off, YAY Round two worked!!!! (it's technically rounds 3 as I was ALMOST to goal between kids, but got pregnant WAY too quickly, my son was 9 months old when I found out I was preggers again, WOW!).

in 2012 - Atkins plus Insanity workouts:

Before

After

SOOOOO that brings me to here. Learning to love this way of eating, getting my workouts in, and keeping this weight off for good. It's a viscous cycle let me tell ya!!

But when I can have meals like this (dinner last night) :

How can I go wrong?

Please join me for the bumpy but fun roller coaster ride we call "maintenance"

Jess
Sicca is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Mmmmm just finished my paleo smoothie. One good thing about this paleo challenge is that I sure do enjoy the extra fruit! I used a very small amount of frozen banana (like 1/4 of banana) plus blueberries, 2 strawberries, spinach, and coconut milk. Add 2 ice cubes and blend away......YUM!

(Kinda pretty before you blend it all together)

I can't wait to get back to just plain low carb eating though. I do miss cheese, a lot. Last night I found myself snacking on salami, it's good but it's just so greasy......cheese doesn't bother me, it's good to know I can handle 2 weeks without but gosh, I am eager to have it back!!!! AND COFFEEEEEEEEEEEE I miss you too!

Scale is getting better, 137.6. A whole pound down from yesterday, that's exciting! I would love to be down another pound going into the weekend.....I always gain on the weekends!!! UGH!!! Maybe this one will be different, my second paleo weekend. I need to be strict with myself. NO CHEATS. Every week I spend losing the couple pounds gained from the weekend. OH! The joys of maintenance.

Going to make a quick chicken salad for lunch (leftover grilled thighs from last night, all natural mayo, 2 diced up apple slices, s&p...ON spinach). Will probably have some cuke slices soaked in o+v for a snack later.

Hubby is going to smoke a pork roast tonight, Mmmmmmmmm and we have lots of fresh veggies to add to it :-) Will probably have brussel sprouts and roasted carrots.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Jessica - your story is amazing and you are right....MAINTENANCE is so much harder than losing. The focus needs to e there and yet, not?!?!?

You keep it up and you will maintain well! Loved reading!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #4

Your egg bowl looks awesome. Reminds me of what I had yesterday for lunch. We were down to a bunch of NOTHING as our options. I tore the remaining chicken off the bone, put in a 1/4 cup cottage cheese, hand full of cherry tomatoes, handful of snap peas and then a small drizzle of Light Bals dressing! It wasn't as good as what your bowl looks like, but it got LUNCH DONE !!

Here's to a CLEAN WEEKEND INDEED!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Your egg bowl looks awesome. Reminds me of what I had yesterday for lunch. We were down to a bunch of NOTHING as our options. I tore the remaining chicken off the bone, put in a 1/4 cup cottage cheese, hand full of cherry tomatoes, handful of snap peas and then a small drizzle of Light Bals dressing! It wasn't as good as what your bowl looks like, but it got LUNCH DONE !!

Here's to a CLEAN WEEKEND INDEED!
Ha haa! Yes Monica I hear ya! I've gotten pretty creative in the past with leftovers and miscellaneous cabinet items. I'm still amazed at some of the yummy concoctions I have come up with!! I hope you had a good weekend!!

I on the other hand didn't have a perfect weekend eating-wise. My paleo challenge was supposed to end today but I failed yesterday. Sitting around with my little ones on a chilly sunday morning just screamed for a cup of coffee....that sweet creamy warm cup was a PERFECT start to my mother's day. oh well. I did pretty good the rest of the day :-)

We made chicken drum stix baked in a mixture of sriracha sauce and mayo. Wow this stuff is my new favorite pepper sauce, HOLY YUM~

Saturday night was a bit of a failure in respect to alcohol...YUP I got hit with the WINE bug and drank waaaaaay too much! That turned into some late night snacking which ALWAYS makes me gain no matter what I eat!!!

Needless to say the scale is up a bit today, GRRRR...139.2, a little better than the 140 I saw early last week. but not the 135 that I want to see EVERY DAY. Now that I'm officially done paleo and am back on the atkins wagon I am going to induction levels this week and knocking out the fruit and nuts for a bit.

Good news: my new workout gloves arrived- tonight I plan to do a Kettlebell workout as I've been somewhat refraining from them because my hands get so sore. Well now my callouses will THANK me :-) I have no excuse!!!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Wow looking at the huge picture of that sriracha sauce kinda makes me hungry.....and it also makes me wonder I didn't grab any to have with my egg and avocado this morning! That would have been GOOD :-P

Good day yesterday, ate exactly to plan. Worked out last night with my kettlebells:

two circuits and I was sweating:
60 KB swings @ 10lbs
Around the waist - 25 each side @ 10lbs
renegades with one arm lifts - 10 each side @ 10lbs
russian twist - 25 @10lbs
deadlifts - 25 @20lbs
Single lifts (floor to above head) - 25 each side @ 10lbs

My new gloves worked great. My hands were always so sore after using the weights, I can't believe I didn't get gloves sooner.

Scale is nice to me today and down to 137.8 I want to get some exercise in but I just don't think I'll have the time. I probably should take today off anyway and do something tomorrow since I'll have more time.

Breakfast today is 1 egg, 1 avocado, and 1 pc of cheese.....I am so happy to have cheese (after 2 weeks without on Paleo). Got some chicken thighs for dinner tonight, not sure what I'll make with them- I was thinking of maybe a mexican style dish with some salsa and cheese, hmmm.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melanie09
Stats: 217/184.8/160 5'9"
WOE: Low carb/Fast 5
Start Date: LC 9/10/12, JUDDD 10/28/12, Fast 5 3/11/13
Oh I LOVE your journal! Reading through it, I'm seeing so many similarities to what I'm doing or thinking!

I finally splurged on coconut oil becuase of what I've read and I'm fairly hooked.

Almond butter, to die for! Love me some almonds!

I really like the whole paleo/primal way of eating and am thinking it would be great for maintenance.

I'm also looking at improving my garden this year. Planted some strawberries and rhubarb this weekend. At some point I would like to start making my own jams, canning, getting some blueberry bushes and maybe some dwarf fruit trees. Our property is putting up a fight though, since we only have half and acre and it's fairly steep in most areas.

Was recently looking into kettlebell workouts and am very interested!

15 lbs gone: 202 11/5/12
25 lbs gone: 192 1/19/13
32 lbs gone: 185 4/16/13
40 lbs gone:177
Now at a healthy weight: 168
Goal weight with 57 lbs gone: 160

melanie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Thanks for the almond butter/fruit idea. I've just been eating it with apple slices. Tasty, but kind of limiting

I put in a vege garden this year. it did get a little away on me at one stage (more food than I could eat) but so satisfying. Over winter Im growing some stuff in my new conservatory.

I have a 'bitsa' salad I like to make with odds and ends - Steamed brocoli or cauli, diced tomato, chopped boiled egg, chopped avocado, drizzled with EVOO and a generous dash of S&P. The proportions change depending on how much leftovers I have
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie09 View Post
Oh I LOVE your journal! Reading through it, I'm seeing so many similarities to what I'm doing or thinking!

I finally splurged on coconut oil becuase of what I've read and I'm fairly hooked.

Almond butter, to die for! Love me some almonds!

I really like the whole paleo/primal way of eating and am thinking it would be great for maintenance.

I'm also looking at improving my garden this year. Planted some strawberries and rhubarb this weekend. At some point I would like to start making my own jams, canning, getting some blueberry bushes and maybe some dwarf fruit trees. Our property is putting up a fight though, since we only have half and acre and it's fairly steep in most areas.

Was recently looking into kettlebell workouts and am very interested!
Hey Melanie thanks for stopping by! Eating Paleo would be a great way to maintain! I see it as something that would be especially good for people who don't do well with dairy or don't mind not having it. That was my big struggle.... I am certainly more aware of my dairy now after the paleo challenge, and I am using less! Last night I didn't even put shredded cheese on my side salad, I used to ALWAYS do that!! But for some reason I didn't feel it needed it and I didn't miss it.

My hubby is putting cherry tomato plants in pots and growing those from our back porch, my mom grows lettuce in a window sill flower planter all summer long. There are some clever ways to grow fresh veggies without needing much land.....good luck!! Mmmmm canning....I would like to do that someday too!!

I'll definitely post more about my Kbell workouts - they are so much fun! I am SO SORE from that workout the other day....I love feeling like this though, it tells me that I worked hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Thanks for the almond butter/fruit idea. I've just been eating it with apple slices. Tasty, but kind of limiting

I put in a vege garden this year. it did get a little away on me at one stage (more food than I could eat) but so satisfying. Over winter Im growing some stuff in my new conservatory.

I have a 'bitsa' salad I like to make with odds and ends - Steamed brocoli or cauli, diced tomato, chopped boiled egg, chopped avocado, drizzled with EVOO and a generous dash of S&P. The proportions change depending on how much leftovers I have
Hi Lilbeetle! what a cute nickname! The great thing about using berries with the almond butter is that they are little less carby than apples and the color just makes them look so much tastier. Of course I eat them with a spoon too, Mmmmmm!

How cool you have a conservatory! There are some great greenhouses you can buy now in kits that would withstand the Vermont snow and cold, definitely hope to have one someday. That bitsa salad sounds great- so healthy but loaded with color and flavor. Avocado and egg are pretty awesome together!

Did I mention I'm super sore from my Kettlebell workout Monday night? Wowzers!! It was a new circuit of stuff for me, so that's definitely why. I'll be doing it again, and hope to do it 3 times next. I'm feeling "it" in my core, my shoulders, and my backstraps!

Today I'm going to do my short Insanity workout during my lunch break, it's only 23 minutes but it kicks my butt. I'm a bit short on lunch ideas and food so will do my favorite go-to option which is a quickie ham salad:

1 can ham
3 tbs mayo
1 tbs mustard
1 tbs relish

Mash and stir all ingredients together. Eat on lettuce or spinach, sometimes I'll have a tomato slice or some banana peppers on the side.

*Depending on the type of ham and mayo you get (and the relish you use), this entire dish comes out to just 3 or 4 carbs- I eat it all. I love it.

Yesterday we put in the posts for our chicken coop....the chicks will be here in about 2 weeks!!! We also got some plants for the garden that we'll be putting in this weekend - red leaf lettuce, jalapenos, wax peppers, broccoli, and then cherry tomatoes which will be planted in pots. Super excited to have a real salad from my garden this year
Old 05-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melanie09
Stats: 217/184.8/160 5'9"
WOE: Low carb/Fast 5
Start Date: LC 9/10/12, JUDDD 10/28/12, Fast 5 3/11/13
Yum, that ham salad sounds good!
melanie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/115-120
Hi Jessica! Love your journal and all the pictures. You have done so well on your weight loss journey. You should be really proud of yourself!!!

I have the same weightlifting gloves and really like them! Are you happy with them? I have to get back to weight lifting as I have been slacking on it lately. I can't believe you did insanity. That's a one though workout.
I think I am going to start Jari Love rotation. I like the definition from high rep low weight.
Are going to jump on meat and egg fast?
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Hi Jessica! Love your journal and all the pictures. You have done so well on your weight loss journey. You should be really proud of yourself!!!

I have the same weightlifting gloves and really like them! Are you happy with them? I have to get back to weight lifting as I have been slacking on it lately. I can't believe you did insanity. That's a one though workout.
I think I am going to start Jari Love rotation. I like the definition from high rep low weight.
Are going to jump on meat and egg fast?
Thanks for your visit! The weight-loss was a journey for sure, now that I'm hanging around goal though I feel like the real journey of staying here has just begun!

I DO Like those gloves a lot, sadly I hadn't even used gloves for weights yet. I had no idea what I was missing out on (I know what I WONT miss-- sore palms, rough callouses, and sometimes dropping a K-bell here and there!).

I have the quick Insanity workout, it's called fast & furious and is about 23 minutes long. It's awesome for someone with NO time. When I'm done my face is red for about an hour and I am sweating out of EVERY pore on my body. Its perfect for me and I can do it at my own pace, some days I push really hard and some days I just kinda take it easy through it.

Don't think I'll be doing the meat & egg fast YET, got a lot going on the next couple weeks, including some travel......I DO want to break through this cycle of gaining every weekend and spending all week trying to lose it. I think that could help when the timing is right for me to dive in.

----------------------------------------------

This week has been particularly tough, I'm up again today!!!!!

I'm hoping this is due to all the exercise from yesterday muscles holding water?) and perhaps (TMI ALERT) that I haven't had a BM the past 2 mornings.....need to get me some fiber in!!! After spending the past 2 weeks eating Paleo I had a ton of avocados, that kept things moving along!! Ugh!!! Kinda frustrated..... 139.0 this morning.

I really need to challenge myself to a cheat free weekend. Plain and Simple. I tried last weekend but didn't take it seriously enough I guess.

I just didn't picture maintaining being about gaining and losing the same 5 pounds week after week. Maybe I'm wrong about that?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jessica- I can see myself doing the 23 min video and I know my face would also have be bright red

I hope you can find a solution to your weekend eating. Do you eat out a lot? If you cook at home you can perhaps plan ahead of time what will you eat for the day. If you like to plan, of course. I have noticed if I don't decide on my menu before hand it can disastrous. Since I count calories on JUDD I got used to planning ahead of time.

Oh, the TMI issue can definitely skew the number on the scale.

Hope you have a great weekend!

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
Old 05-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Jessica- I can see myself doing the 23 min video and I know my face would also have be bright red

I hope you can find a solution to your weekend eating. Do you eat out a lot? If you cook at home you can perhaps plan ahead of time what will you eat for the day. If you like to plan, of course. I have noticed if I don't decide on my menu before hand it can disastrous. Since I count calories on JUDD I got used to planning ahead of time.

Oh, the TMI issue can definitely skew the number on the scale.

Hope you have a great weekend!
Oh yeah that workout is great! I just love that by the time I"m about to die, it's over. LOL

I am really hoping to clean up my weekend eating. We don't eat out much, like not at restaurants, but we do eat on the go and at family and friends houses. The weekends are just so unpredictable for us. I am also exposed to my kids leftovers all day long.....why do animal crackers taste so good now? Ugh!!!

OK I'm taking your advice though and am making a PLAN for this weekend.

today:
BRK - 3 deviled eggs and 3 grape tomatoes
LCH - Garden salad with cheese and ranch
SNK - 3 strawberries and 1/4 cup walnuts
DNR - Double cheeseburger on lettuce with tom & onion (mayo and mustard)
DRK - cf x2

Exercise:
Insanity f&f at lunch

Tomorrow Meals:
BRK - cheese & onion omelet
LCH - Chicken salad on lettuce
SNK - Vegs & ranch (carrot, cauliflower, broc)
DNR - Baked fish with mixed vegs
DRK - cf & wine likely

Exercise:
Tilling, shoveling, and then planting in the garden!

Sunday Meals:
BRK - bacon & strawberries
LCH - Cheeseburgers
SNK - Atkins bar/sausage bites (we're going to the circus Sunday afternoon!! I'm packing my own snacks
DNR - hopefully Pork Loin with sauteed green beans
DRK - cf

Exercise:
K-Bell workout x 20 mins

*scale nicer to me than yesterday, at 138.0 this morning. I drank a lot of wine last night and am feeling it today, I'm surprised I'm DOWN a pound actually as I expected no change. Anyway, with the way I feel I should have no problem getting my water intake (I'm close to 30 oz already and it's not even 10am here).

I got this! I hope....
Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Weekend Plan = Failure

Not weighing, because I KNOW i'm up. I stuck to plan through Saturday night, then things fell apart (thanks to the alcohol!!). I did great Sunday up until we got Chinese food. I got the shrimp with lobster sauce, no rice. However I somehow ended up eating a good amount of hubby's lo mien (hand made noodles) and one of the kids crab rangoons. Sigh. My willpower packed up and left. I'm disappointed, but whats done is done.

Back in the saddle again today. Clean day planned with some Insanity at lunch. I'll wait until Wednesday to weigh. That way I will be more likely to not throw the damn scale out the window.

Good news on the garden front.....got a lot done this weekend. Check out our beds!!

This is the old one that we have revived- will likely fill with carrots, peppers, onions, and some lettuce:

Here are the pots for the cherry tomatoes:

Here is the NEW garden bed, made from my old waterbed frame, LOL!! Gonna fill it with more lettuce, broc, cauliflower, and more peppers:

And finally here is the "mound" for cukes, zucchini and yellow squash (the viney stuff):

Something to feel good about.......

Last edited by Sicca; 05-20-2013 at 07:14 AM..
Old 05-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

So friggin pissed off at the diet gods right now. I did great yesterday, and last night we were at a friends and they had meat and veggies and cheese all laid out, it was perfect! Then came the bacon wrapped dates. I had 5 of them.....Later I checked and HOLY COW 2 dates net 33 carbs! So I had over 70 carbs in JUST DATES. Who knew??? WTH?!?!?!!?!? Why???????????

So I'm up like four pounds since last Friday, 142.0

I just want to cry, but whatever that's not going to help. Will do my best to stick to plan the rest of this week. Super sad that we're going away this weekend to visit friends and family in Maine. I REALLY wanted to start the weekend at or around my goal weight. It would be so much less stress, but instead I'm heavier now than I have been in over 6 months. It's just not fair.

Maintenance Sucks.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jessica- don't worry it is a water weight, it will gone down in no time. Just get back on the plan ASAP and you will be fine. Sometimes carb-up day can revamp the metabolism.
The garden bed looks great. I wish I had better sun exposure to have a little garden. My only option is container garden on my deck.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Marika - it's my biggest gain in a long time, just made me freak out a bit. You were right though!! After a VERY low carb eating day yesterday (with no alcohol and lots of water) I am down to 139.2 this morning.

Phew!! I still don't like that number....it's 4 pounds up from goal and too close to 140 for my comfort. BUT I welcome any drop on the scale!!! I hope to repeat another day of very low carb eating! Lots of water! And still no alcohol :-) Then tomorrow I can start to climb back up the carb ladder.

I'm going to pick my greens for lunch from my own backyard this afternoon!!!

We have a ton of dandelion greens and it was an ingredient on Chopped last night (love that show) so I got a few ideas on eating it. Today I will toss it with olive oil and cider vinegar and a little sweet onion and eat it with some chicken salad I made yesterday (chicken, mayo, mustard, and small spoon of relish). YUM!!!!

I will also exercise today, I think I was too depressed yesterday to do anything but Now I'm motivated!!! Insanity at lunch!!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Nice journal ! And you like to get your hands dirty just like me !
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

I know what you mean about the kids and gardening! I have been sitting for my daughters twins since birth. They will be "3" in September. Some of my flower beds were not touched for the past two years! But things are getting better and they love the flowers - we planted cosmos seeds recently and they insist on watering them everyday.

Have a great weekend and don't fret that small weight gain!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden View Post
I know what you mean about the kids and gardening! I have been sitting for my daughters twins since birth. They will be "3" in September. Some of my flower beds were not touched for the past two years! But things are getting better and they love the flowers - we planted cosmos seeds recently and they insist on watering them everyday.

Have a great weekend and don't fret that small weight gain!
I hear ya!! I almost consider my kids 3 yr old twins!! Aiden just turned 4 on Friday and Addy is 2 1/2...they MIGHT as well be twins....I feel your pain....LOL...kinda kidding, I also Feel your JOY!! THey are certainly a lot of fun aren't they? How lucky you get to spend so much time with them. They will remember this time with you forever! What do they call you? My mom is "Meme" and DH's mom is plain old "grammy".

------------------------------------

SOOOO for practically the first time since hitting goal I did not GAIN over a weekend!! I am so proud of myself, I made great choices....wasn't too limiting. And I even ordered a double quarter pounder with cheese without the bun (first time, for some reason I would just be too shy to ask, so would dismantle it myself....how easy it is to already be dismantled and come with a fork!!!).

Scale happy at 138.0, even though I'm still 3 pounds up from Goal it's better than the typical 5 or so after a weekend! I must do my best to continue this trend. I KNOW I can!!!

Gonna drop the carbies for a few days now that it's the work week. Would be nice to get a couple off by Friday and go into next weekend closer to goal....maybe I'll be MORe motivated to stay strong this weekend too!

Something to be THANKFUL for about visiting MAINE and eating low carb- here is a pic of my dinner last night.... Be Jealous!!!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

I'm just Granma. The other side is Maw-Maw. Love it, but it wears me out sometimes! Not fair on the OH SO LARGE pic of the LOBSTER !!!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Mmmmm.... I wish I could afford to have Lobster all the time! YUM!!!

Scale down a touch more this morning, in the 137's at least....only 2 pounds from GOAL weight so I can't complain. Hoping to have another great weekend of eating with NO GAINS.

Wanted to share my new love - Broccoli slaw!!! It comes in a bag and you can steam it right in the bag too....so no cooking mess. It's done in about 6 minutes (in the micro). I open the bag and toss in some sea salt and a pad or two of butter. YUMMY! I love this stuff!!

The whole bag is 3 servings, I split it with DH. Carbs are 5 per serving, with 2g of fiber, so only 3- or a total of about 5 or so when splitting the bag. We had this last night with grilled chicken thighs and they went perfectly together :-)

Staying low again today on carbies-- egg and salami for breakfast, chef salad for lunch, atkins bar as a snack and probably some sausage and peppers and onions tonight for din din :-)
Old 05-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #24

Please update on what your son thought of the elephants. Did you take pictures???
Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicca View Post
Mmmmm.... I wish I could afford to have Lobster all the time! YUM!!!

Scale down a touch more this morning, in the 137's at least....only 2 pounds from GOAL weight so I can't complain. Hoping to have another great weekend of eating with NO GAINS.

Wanted to share my new love - Broccoli slaw!!! It comes in a bag and you can steam it right in the bag too....so no cooking mess. It's done in about 6 minutes (in the micro). I open the bag and toss in some sea salt and a pad or two of butter. YUMMY! I love this stuff!!

The whole bag is 3 servings, I split it with DH. Carbs are 5 per serving, with 2g of fiber, so only 3- or a total of about 5 or so when splitting the bag. We had this last night with grilled chicken thighs and they went perfectly together :-)

Staying low again today on carbies-- egg and salami for breakfast, chef salad for lunch, atkins bar as a snack and probably some sausage and peppers and onions tonight for din din :-)
Love the look of that steamed broccoli slaw! Bet it tastes great too! Is it in the fresh veggie section or frozen? I just started eating sliced broccoli stalks a while back. I tasted a piece of stalk after making a broccoli salad not long ago and it's really good! Tastes like fresh cauliflower. Just wash it up and slice about 1/4 inch rounds. Good for dipping in dressing.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

OMG Aiden loved the elephants! They did a 45 minute presentation while we watched the elephants move about and eat. Such beautiful creatures :-) Here are some pics --

The first picture is of Rosie, she has a paralyzed trunk the poor thing. She can use it to eat from the ground but can not reach things above a few feet tall. The next pics have my son, DH, and my daughter (back of head) looking at Opal, the other elephant. Opal has bad knees and doesn't get around very well, but they're habitat has a heated floor and special sand that help soothe her sore joints. They are 41 & 43 years old, and could live another 20 years.

This place is all supported by grants and donations. They want to expand and take on more retired and injured elephants but more funding is needed for that. We plan to visit them again next year!

Last edited by Sicca; 05-29-2013 at 01:15 PM..
Old 05-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Beautiful family !!!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:24 AM   #28

LOve the pictures. Your family is so precious. I am so glad you all were able to go !

How are things going???
Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden View Post
Beautiful family !!!
AWWWW Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
LOve the pictures. Your family is so precious. I am so glad you all were able to go !

How are things going???
And thank you too! Yes it was a great time! Things are going well, happy to not be traveling this weekend. Weather is looking good too so I think we'll be finishing adding plants and seeds to the garden. Pics to come!!

-------------------------------------------

So the scale is not my friend anymore, Grrrr.....I am up a pound now, and mad about it. I suspect that it's from the extra glasses of wine last night. I ate PERFECTLY yesterday so that has to be the culprit.

I'd like to say I could avoid a few drinks tonight, but it's Friday.....I worked all week and I'd just like to unwind a little. Instead of wine I think I will have some vodka seltzers with lime wedges. These are practically zero carbs, I can keep the alcohol to a small amount in them so they are mostly seltzer. That should help?

Had hoped to up the carbies a bit but because I'm now about 4 pounds above goal I think I will keep them low today.

Brkfst- 1 egg, 1/2 avocado, 1 cheese stick
Lunch- Chicken Salad (by itself, no veggies or greens)
SNK- Pepperoni
Dinner- Bratworst and garden salad with homemade o+v dressing dressing
Drinks- coffee, water, vodka seltzers

Hoping to do Insanity on my lunch break today. It's going to be HOT though, not sure how I will hold up. I'm telling myself to just take it easy - that's the great part about working out by myself to a DVD. I don't HAVE to do all the jumping jacks, I don't have to do them as fast as possible, but every little bit counts!

It's supposed to be almost 90 here today, wow, this is VERMONT!!! LOL

Fun thing to talk about-- today the local Pre-K class came up for a visit to our office (I work at a publishing company). My son is in the class so I helped arrange the visit. I created a power-point presentation to show them about how a book gets published. They were so CUTE!!! I had a great time. Here's a pic--

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I'm going to try with all my might to stay on track. Wish I had been able to start the weekend closer to goal

Then again maybe being up a bit will help me stay focused.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Well weekend over, I don't think I did too bad. However I don't know because my SCALE IS BROKEN!!! I'm suspecting that the container that holds the kids bath toys is screwing it up. We store it on top of the scale. When I remove it and pull put the scale it just flashes 4.4, 4.6 or 4.8 lbs. I tried turning it off and on and again, no change.

This is a great opportunity to put the scale away this week. I'm going to hide it in my closet with nothing on top of it until Saturday morning ;-) It's gonna drive me crazy but I think it will be good for me. Hopefully it works again! I just put new batteries in it about 2 weeks ago.

SO I'm going to assume I'm up a little anyway.

Goals for this week are as follows-

*More water! I did not get enough last week and over the weekend.

*More exercise. I've only worked out ONCE in the past 10 days. Tsk Tsk.

*Less carbs for a few days. Part of my weekend traditions now, drop the levels on Monday-Wednesday!!! Shooting for around 20g carbs, then I'll bump up to around 30, and then for the weekend around 50.

Any higher I start to gain, probably why weekends are always a mess for me since I'm trying to go higher I always end up TOO HIGH. *sigh*