Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skyesmom2002
Stats: 194/167/154
WOE: Trim Healthy Mama
Your Stir Fry looks sooo good! I want to reach through my iPad and take a bite! KUTGW....
skyesmom2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2014, 06:23 AM   #302
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
OH my girl, your food looks amazing!!!!!!!!
zipp2play is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sicca
Stats: 170/135/135
WOE: Atkins with a bit of Paleo
Start Date: March 2012
Awww thanks for the visits!! It really helps me to post these pictures, it gives me a reference to look back on for food ideas. I don't often post things when they don't come out good, but I should do that too!

Quick check-in, it's snowing like crazy outside! It wasn't supposed to start until like 8am So I figured our morning drive to daycare and work would be no prob, Well guess again! The snow started at like 6:30am and it was MESSY to start. Then our power got knocked out around 7am, at least I had showered and packed all the lunches already. Now I'm at work just watching the snow pile up. I plan to only stay until 4pm so I can get my babies up our mountain road before the snow is too deep.

They are now calling for 24 inches in our area. Gotta love Vermont :-) I'm going Snowsnoeing on Friday and downhill skiiing on Monday, so I welcome it. Even though it makes Spring so much farther off!!! It is what it is.... Here is the view from my office window RIGHT Now:

OMG Tuna cakes are AWESOME!!! You don't have to be eating Paleo to enjoy these puppies--- They are even INDUCTION FRIENDLY!!! Try them, I highly recommend them...DH said "Can we have these more?" It was so cute....I was like SURE as they are super easy on the budget too!

Tuna Cakes
3 cans of Tuna drained
2 eggs
1/2 tsp dry Dill
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp pepper
*I added like 2 spoons of coconut flour, but you DONT really need it, I also went extra on the dill, s&p......Mmmmmm

*Mix all ingredients together, form and pack 6 - 8 little patties.
Fry in hot coconut oil, 2 - 3 minutes a side until crispy and lightly browned- be careful when flipping. Serve with tarter sauce (LC version of mayo+dill relish MMMmmm)

Here is what mine came out like:

We had ours with a garden salad, but I was thinking a LC or Paleo friendly coleslaw would be pretty awesome with it as well!!!

Todays meals:
BRK - Paleo strawberry MIM
SNK - melon slices and blackberries
LCH - ham salad on garden salad
SNK - roast beef slices
DNR - zucchini noodles with meatballs and sauce
DRK - chai green tea with a tsp of honey, an orange flavored seltzer (olde new england makes the best!), some wine tonight
Of course water water water water!!!

Oh so I made the Paleo MIM's in the OVEN last night, technically they would be MIFM (muffin in fifteen minutes!) They didn't rise as high as in the micro, but they tasted less spongy and the flavor is still pretty darn awesome! I only used 1 tsp of honey as the sweetener for 2 muffins. Here is what they look like out of the oven:

OK all for now....Gonna get some shoveling in later today!!! Can I call that my UBWO?

Jessica
35yo Wife and Mother of two amazing kids (ages 2 & 4)

Visit my Journal - My So Called Low Carb Life
Sicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Happy Friday!! I have been so looking forward to today, ahhhhh. Actually I'm looking forward MORE to tomorrow, where I can sleep in! I've been getting up all week while the rest of my household, even the dogs, are still not on daylight savings time. I told DH tomorrow morning I'm not moving out of bed until it's completely light outside, ha ha! He's on duty if needed before then.

Day 14 of the Paleo Challenge! Things are going well. I'm enjoying my spiced chai green tea each morning with a little honey, it's great! Yesterday I had a rather high day in carbs due to all the honey I had, sweet potato, tomato sauce, etc... I've been eating around 60-70 carbs a day, that's HIGH for me!!! However weigh in today was right on the money at 135.0

Now that I'm 2 weeks I'm thinking this is rather easy. I just have to have the right stuff on hand-- coconut milk, fruit, almond butter...little "go-to" snack items. This challenge has been EXCELLENT at keeping me away from snacking off my kids plates!!!!! I think after this I'll have a good mentality to stay strong about that too. I hope so anyway!!

Going snowshoeing again today, this time with a buddy. We have SO.MUCH.SNOW.

Todays meals:
BRK - 2 eggs, feta cheese all scrambled
LCH - leftover zucchini noodles, meatballs and sauce
SNK - melon slices
DNR - Not sure yet.....DH was gonna pick up something. If he gets something that I can't have I will eat our leftover chicken thighs and green beans from the other night
DRK - tea, seltzer, and yes, it's Friday.....probably SEVERAL glasses of vino!!!!
Old 03-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #305

Daylight savings times kills me in the beginning! Thanks for the MIM reminder. I switched back to LC for a bit, I totally forgot about those. I will make me one tomorrow. I know I still have some flax I can use!

I need to get back to it with some good LC snack options. That way I can stick with it.

Enjoy all that snow girl! We would completely FREAK if we got that much. We did many years ago, we couldn't get up our street for DAYS!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #306
Senior LCF Member

Hey Monica, the tuna cakes are awesome for LC eating too-- very very low carb, like 3 cakes might be 1 carb total? Try them, I've already made them again ;-) DH loves them now!!

So don't have much time to post but wanted to check in briefly, since being out yesterday I'm super busy at work today. I was SUCH a good girl this weekend though. My downfalls were VERY minor. I did great once again avoiding the kids leftovers, but Sunday we were out shopping and DH and the kids wanted Chinese. I OK'd it because I had my usual dish- A Happy Family. It's just meat, like chicken, pork, and shrimp with veggies - carrots, broc, etc.. with a light brown garlicy clear sauce. SO the soy in it is not OK< but hey it did NOT have sugary stuff, noodles, rice, potatoes, or breading of ANY sort. Not bad. I also had a peep. Totally NOT paleo. My 3 yo daughter fed it to me I couldn't say no.

Yesterday was good at the ski area, I brought my own food - had a blueberry paleo MIM for breakfast with a cup of almond/coconut milk, then turkey and banana peppers with mayo wrapped in lettuce for lunch (about 3 of them) and a dish full of walnuts and green grapes, Mmmmmm. I brought a KIND bar, but never ate it. Didn't need it!! I really miss downhill skiing :-(

Slopeside selfie:

Todays Meals:
BRK - a blueberry paleo MIM
LCH - leftover chicken thighs and green beans
SNK - blueberries and walnuts
SNK - chicken salad (just a few bites left with some lettuce)
DNR - ribs and brussel sprouts. Mmmmmmmm

Weight is good, checked this morning and I'm at 136.6, not bad for a Tuesday!! Psyched to be able to eat all this fruit :-)
Old 03-19-2014, 05:54 AM   #307

OH HOw fun!!!! It sounds like Keto is working well for you. I am definitely going to try the tuna cakes!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:21 AM   #308
Senior LCF Member

So it's been a few days, a lot has happened.....I'm still going strong on the paleo challenge. Yes I slipped a couple times.......hardly bad though, I was super hung over Sunday (my own fault! OUT with old friends, we had a great time!) so I ended up having a diet ginger ale. Also the night before we had a big turkey dinner at a fundraiser I was volunteering at. Unfortunately the plates were all PREMADE so I could not opt out of the mashed potatoes and stuffing, it was SO HARD not to eat that stuff already on my plate, but I managed to do it minus half the stuffing. Probably like half a cup, that was it though!! I left the mashed taters there on my plate! OMG!!! I thought that was good and considered it a success not a failure anyway.

So I've got a lower wisdom tooth coming in ANGRY. I had to go to the dentist for an emergenC visit on Friday, it hurt SO BAD. Well it's infected, impacted, and I need surgery on Saturday to have the bottom ones removed. Boo-hoo!!!! SO guess what? My paleo challenge is going to be easy ending this weekend because I can't eat all day Saturday before the operation, and then afterwards that night I'll be SUPER sore and will probably not have anything until Sunday :-( I plan to whip up some coconut cream and paleo banana pancakes for brunch sunday, If I can eat by then. Gosh I'm so scared about being knocked out, never had that done before.

Monday my challenge is OVER. Here are some of the good things I can reflect on up to this point:

- I love coconut/almond milk better than cows milk!
- coconut oil is now my preferred cooking oil
- I have just as much energy drinking tea in the morning than coffee
- Honey is a great sweetener, you don't need much
- Almond flour is the greatest baking flour ever
- my eating portions have gotten smaller

Weight wise I am at exactly 135.0 this morning. I NEED to get some exercise though. We may be getting MORE snow this week, yeah it sucks! This morning it was 3 degrees, I can't believe it's March 25 and it's THIS darn cold out! ARGH!! So maybe some snowshoeing Friday at lunch??? LOL
Old 03-26-2014, 07:01 AM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Not feeling so good today, I'm VERY nervous about getting my wisdom teeth out this weekend. I've never been knocked out, and I have a heart condition (SVT). This all just worries me too much, I have 2 babies that need me :-( Is the pain worth doing this?
Old 03-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #310
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
Oh, I am sorry to hear about the surgery, Jessica. Sending good thoughts and hugs your way You will be fine
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:08 AM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Marika! Good to see you Hon!

Ok here it is Friday, this Sunday marks the end of my 30-day Paleo challenge. While not THAT hard to stick with it certainly helped me be more mindful about what I was putting in my mouth. I also found that even though there are all these crazy paleo recipes that are awesome I really do enjoy the most simplest of snacks. I think this challenge has helped me realize that less can be more......for example a snack of turkey slices, or 1/2 an apple, or even just chomping down a carrot are all great, easy, and cheap things to have on hand. I also learned to use healthier alternatives for many things - such as coconut oil for cooking instead of butter, almond or coconut flour for baking, fruit & honey as a sweetener instead of sweetener alternatives. I am coming out of this with a healthier mindset and motivation and to keep applying these wonderful things I've learned back into my everyday eating.

Todays weight- 134.6

I have to be honest, if there is ONE day on this entire 30 day adventure that I may allow myself to slip it will be Sunday, the final day. I am getting 2 bottom wisdom teeth pulled at 11:30am tomorrow. I can't eat for 8 hours before, and I will likely be SUPER sore and bloody afterwards and probably won't eat the rest of the day. So Saturday will be a walk in the park for eating-- I likely won't have anything! Sunday however I hope to feel a little better but will need to stick with soft foods. I have a yam I will boil and mash, I also have a can of coconut milk that I will whip the cream with some honey and maybe some banana slices....I also thought about making a smoothie or two..and I might try some scrambled eggs but I will allow myself some yogurt or SF Jello-- depending how bad it really gets! I have some leftover broccoli stalks I thought about boiling and pureeing into some soup with chicken broth Anyway, I'm not planning to go off plan, I'm just saying I don't know how bad my mouth will hurt the next day - and after a day of NO eating I will be hungry! So that's that. Wish me luck tomorrow!!! I'm feeling better about it, but still VERY nervous.....

todays meals:
BRK - strawberry paleo muffin
LCH - leftover tuna cakes
SNK - leftover sausage slices
DNR - spaghetti squash with sausage meatballs w/side salad
Old 03-31-2014, 05:50 AM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Ok surgery done, bottom wisdom teeth now gone! It went longer than expected, and they did have to break the teeth to get them out - OUCH. It hurts like @#$%^ I am on pain meds, I they gave me percocet which seems to work pretty good but makes me a little drowsy and foggy headed. I waited until after I got to work today to take one and that was hard. It hurt so bad. I have swollen jowels. :-(

So it's on to soft foods now, thankfully paleo challenge is over so I can have greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Yesterday I actually put spaghetti squash leftovers (with tom sauce and sausage) in the magic bullet to puree it for lunch! LOL! It worked really well.

todays meals:
BRK - paleo strawberry MIM
SNK - greek yogurt (oikos plain)
LCH - pureed chicken salad!
SNK - Tea w/honey
DNR - leftover spaghetti squash (with tom sauce and sauce) pureed with cream
DRK - coffee (for the FIRST time in a month!!). seltzer. no alcohol - due to the medication.

So here's the deal on coffee....I'm going to mix it it up so I don't fall back into the same pattern of drinking it every day with that vanilla flavored chemical concoction. I'm allowing myself coffee on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.........possibly a cup on the weekend, but not both days. I doubt I'll even have it that much. I'm really only drinking it this morning to counteract the drowsiness in my pain meds :-(
Old 03-31-2014, 06:05 AM   #313

OH girl, so sorry to hear about your tooth problems. Glad they are out and hope you take care of yourself. Don't push yourself to do too much, that will only make recovery take that much longer! THinking of you girl!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 05:57 AM   #314
Senior LCF Member

it's been a tough week! The pain meds are messing with my head and tummy they suck :-( But the pain in my jaw hurts so bad without them I'm sort of a crossroads and not sure what to do. Today I haven't taken anything but Advil, going to do my best to stick with just that today and see if I can get through.

Eating has been OK, minus the occasional vanilla ice cream ;-) I also scored a case of mascarpone from the Vermont Creamery (it was given to my nana and she doesn't like it) so last night I made this with one of the containers:

Cauliflower Mascarpone Gratin |familystylefood|recipe

It came out awesome, we fried a ham steak to with it, seasoned with dill and basil:

This was pretty easy to eat, the ham was rather tender and the cauliflower was cooked perfectly. It's after I eat where the problems start, I can't get to the back of my mouth to CLEAN anything. It's just so sore back there even my tongue hurts to poke around boohoo.....

Also TMI but worth noting, I haven't had a bm since Saturday!! No doubt it's due to the meds PLUS all of sudden I'm eating dairy again, that can't help...my poor body. I'm loading up on fiber today, starting with an avocado for breakfast with my egg. Ugh..........
Old 04-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #315
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
That ham steak looks divine I was going to try that mascarpone gratin before, but too many reviews said it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. How did it turn out for you? Hope your tooth feels better. My brother takes a qtip and dabs peppermint extract on his teeth when they are sore. He says it works instantly. I don't get many toothaches, so I haven't tried it personally, but maybe give that a shot???
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:32 AM   #316
Senior LCF Member

HI geeny, I thought it came out great. There's something to be said about the sweet creamy flavor that mascarpone contributes, Mmmmmmmmm. It's way better than cream cheese. Actually My magic bullet has been my best friend! Yesterday I pureed the leftover cauliflower casserole and ham and then reheated it, it was like the best tasting cream of cauliflower with ham soup that I have EVER had. This morning I am having a strawberry, kale, and coconut milk smoothie with some mascarpone stirred in. YUMMY!!! Thank god for this little machine.

AND Thank GOD it's Friday!! Sitting at a desk all week long with tooth pain totally stinks! I find it hurts less when I am up and about doing things. Go figure! AND finally things worked normally this morning *TMI so I am feeling much better about that.

Todays weight - 135.6

Todays Meals:
BRK - strawberry, kale, coconut milk and mascarpone smoothie
LCH - ham or chicken salad with tomato slices
SNK - 1/2 avocado, 2 turkey slices, 1 oz cheddar all mixed together
DNR - sweet potato fries and fried fish (unfortunately we'll be at a friends so I will be subject to some breading,. but the fish are out of Lake Champlain!)
DRK - coffee, yes....wine, yes.....Lemon Seltzer after lunch

I've got an appt at 12:30 for my hair.....I'm adding some blonde and getting a trim. Kinda nervous about it!! Haven't colored my hair since I was like 21, about 14 years ago!!! LOL!!! Wish me luck!!!

Soft foods for the weekend....I'm actually considering some sushi tomorrow night since we're taking the kids shopping, Mmmmmmmm School vacation is the week of April 21st so I'm planning to get some workouts in during lunches that week. Will probably do a week of Focus T25 concentrating on a different body part each day. I hope my teeth feel better by then because the thought of jumping right now sends chills to my jaw :-(

Happy Weekend all!!!!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #317

Is the continued pain normal??? Could it be dry socket??

I have to get my hair colored every 5 or 6 weeks, as the GRAY around my temples is unnerving! Enjoy the beautician time! FEEL BETTER GIRL!
Old 04-05-2014, 04:23 AM   #318
Blabbermouth!!!

Jessica, I hope the pain eases soon. Take care hun
Old 04-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Oh dear... the verdict is YES, I have Dry Socket :-(

Gonna be a few days of crappy tooth pain. I have clove oil to help, and it does....and I have some 800mg ibuprofens, which take the edge off a bit. This sucks.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #320

OH girl, that does suck! Feel better SOON!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 04:50 AM   #321
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh so sorry to hear about it, Jessica!!! Big hugs
Old 04-14-2014, 03:52 AM   #322
Blabbermouth!!!

Jessica- hope you are feeling better by now
Old 04-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the visits. Teeth - well the gumholes where the wisdom teeth USED to be, are doing MUCH better. I had a rough end to the week last week---- my daughter got sick, then I got it. An awful cough that kept us up allllllllll night long. Do you know how painful it is to cough with sore gumholes? I just wanted to die.

ANYWAY little by little it has gotten so much better. Unfortunately my eating suffered majorly. I'm a little ticked off that I spent ALL of March eating so well to have April completely destroyed. *sigh*

As my mouth continues to heal I still have to take it easy. I miss eating nuts!! No more ice cream though, I'm ALL done with it! Now it's time to focus on cleaning up AGAIN. Next week there is no school so I"m working out every day since I will have free time. Yay!

Weight this morning is up to 139.0 on the dot. Booooo. Oh well, could be worse! Clean eating for a few days and I should be back to my comfy zone. Provided everyone stays healthy ;-)

todays menu:
BRK - plain greek yogurt with 2 diced strawberries and a small drizzle of honey
LCH - Cheeseburger with mayo and dill pickles wrapped in a romaine lettuce "bun" and just a touch of ketchup and mustard
SNK - ham, cuke, and cream cheese roll ups
DNR - Probably another cheeseburger.......got a few leftover from last night.
DRK - coffee with splenda and 1/2 & 1/2, water, probably a glass of wine or two this evening
Old 04-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #324
Blabbermouth!!!

Glad your gums are better, Jessica
Old 04-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Quick check in, all is good here. Had a stomach bug over the weekend, it actually helped me not to eat too much chocolate, LOL. Schools out this week so I have a free hour at lunch (don't have to drive my son to school) and I"m working out every day! Yay!!

todays workout:
Ab intervals from Focus T25
Kneeling Reverse Fly, Push Ups, Curl & Press (3 sets of 15 each) using my 10# Kettlebells (I'm hoping to get 15's or 20's VERY soon! mothers day maybe?)

todays weight: 133.8 (yeah really low? probably from skipping dinner last night, I will check again Saturday morning and see where I'm at to see if any adjustments to my eating are needed)

todays menu:
BRK: leftover quiche (ham & cheddar, it actually has a crust but I'm only eating the "bottom" part of it)
LCH: leftover spaghetti squash with a couple meatballs and sauce
SNK: celery and cream cheese
DNR: whole chicken, sauteed brussel sprouts, sweet potato (for me, DH will have regular potato)
DST: MAYBE some peanut butter pudding later?
DRK: only 1/2 cup of coffee with splenda and 1/2&1/2, probably a seltzer, maybe some wine later
Old 04-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #326

Look at you go SKINNY GIRL! 133.8, that is awesome!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:35 AM   #327
Blabbermouth!!!

Yahoo! Great number Jessica!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #328
Senior LCF Member

Aww thanks, it's nice to be on "the low end" of my maintenance weight for once! Of course it didn't stick, but not complaining. Today I'm at 134.4 which is perfect for me :-) I'll be up on Monday, always AM! *sigh*

todays menu:
BRK: last piece of easter quiche (crust cut off)
LCH: ham salad with lettuce and a pickle (ended up having this yesterday too, leftover easter ham, YUM!! see pic below)
SNK: celery and cream cheese with herbs
DNR: Chinese food tonight--- I'm having a "happy family" no rice obviously. It's meat and vegetables, with some fish in a yummy garlic type soy sauce (not sweet at all and quite clear)
DRK: Coffee with splenda and cream, raspberry seltzer, possibly a 5-hour energy later (I was up at 5am with my daughter....she had a bad dream), definitely a little wine tonight

Easter Ham Salad with a homemade pickle- probably my favorite lunch no matter what type of eating plan I am following!!!

Happy Friday!
Old 04-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #329

OH now that LOOKS good! How was your weekend???
Old 04-28-2014, 07:15 AM   #330
Senior LCF Member

Oh the weekend was uneventful, that's a good thing considering I've had teeth pulling, dry socket pain, coughing colds and tummy bugs the past few weekends. I'll take uneventful!!!! BUT Monday is back again! Despite being negative on how my weekend might go eating-wise I am doing surprisingly well on the scale this morning. The weather was cold and wet all weekend, so I didn't get outside like I wanted AT ALL. I didn't get much housework done either, Meh.....I did however have some wonderful foods, see pics below, and even though school is back this week I have a free lunch today because grammy is going to drive Aiden to school for me. I think I'll spend the time with my kettlebells

Todays weight- 134.6

Todays Exercise - Rip't Circuit from Focus T25 with the KB's and starfish crunches, half dive bombers and windshield wipers tonight for the Abs

Todays Menu:
BRK: 1 egg, scrambled with leftover bacon (2 pcs) and some melted cheese on top
LCH: Chef Salad (let, tom, onion, cuke, hot pepps, with ham, cheese, and ranch)
SNK: celery with cream cheese
DNR: steak maybe on more salad?
DRK: coff w/sf vanilla cream, seltzer, water, almond milk
DST: MAYBE a piece of the no-bake strawberry jello cheesecake I made this weekend, with the almond/coconut flour crust, YUM:

- This is literally like 5g a piece net carbs per slice. I did the math using MY ingredients (some cream cheeses are HIGHER in carbs than others...etc...)

Oh and DH made an incredible batch of jalapeno poppers:

- Here they are, ready for the oven!!! Mmmmmmmmmmmm