Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: joytotheworld
Stats: 259/245/139
Start Date: 4/22/13
Joy's joys

I'm brand new to this board and (sort of) brand new to the low carb life style. I tried it about a year ago for a couple months and lost 30lbs.. but I started a new job and gained it back.. and then some!

So, here I go again. I just started this back up 2 weeks ago (with one really bad cheat day yesterday ) but I've lost about 8lbs! I know this is going to sound crazy but I'm trying to lose 120 more lbs in 52 weeks! I'm doing a little weight loss challenge at work so my mini goal is 30 lbs by 6/28. Then another 50 lbs by 10/26.

To help out with this aggressive plan, I'm starting a new fitness regiment (I don't work out at all so I'll start off slow!). My plan is to do 30 mins of jogging (using the Couch 2 5K program) three days a week and do 30 mins of leg/arm/core strength training (combo of dvd's and online workouts to mix it up) 2 days a week.

To help keep myself motivated, I'm going to sign up for a 5K in September with friends who will keep me accountable. I also bought myself a brand new Coach bag that I'm not allowed to use until I've earned it (30 lbs!).

Well, that's my plan so wish me luck! I go home right now to start my running!
joytotheworld is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Good Luck to you ! Awesome goals !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Laura! Congrats on your weight loss!! Looking forward to seeing those results myself
Old 05-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Joy, you have everything in place. YOU CAN DO THIS! Check out the recipe forum. THey have some great ideas for making some of your favorite dishes lc!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the encouragement!! I will most def check out the recipes.. thanks for the tip!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

So I went home yesterday and managed to jog/walk for only about 13 mins. I know I should have pushed myself to do the full 30 mins I planned.. but I figure since its been a loooooong time since I've run at all, I didn't want to strain anything and have ANOTHER excuse to not workout! To make up for my lack of workout, I also did about 5 mins of ab exercises, which I hadn't planned on doing. I was super disappointed in myself though.. I used to knock out a billion sit ups no probs. I can barely even do one now! Yikes! My new goal is to get through 100 LEGIT reps in my 5 min ab routine by the end of May. Right now I'm at 59 but they were VERY half-assed!

So, today I was determined to come home and finish an entire 30 mins of jog/walking.. This time I got to 14 mins.. a slight improvement but still disappointing. I did another 5 mins of abs to make up for it.. so, I think my new plan is to (attempt to) run 5 days a week (instead of 3) and do some other exercise (legs/abs/weights/etc.) 3-5 times a week. I'm going on Amazon right now to buy a yoga mat and a weight set. Hardwood floors are not conducive to floor exercises!

As far as eating goes, I'm doing a pretty good job keeping it low carb. I'm going to start journaling it here so I have some accountability! And so I can notice how much disgusting food I'm eating and hopefully it will gross me out into making healthier choices (aka veggies)

Yesterday 5/6:
B: Atkins snack bar (2g net carb)
L: salami, pepperoni, cheese. lots of cheese. Large handful of pistachios
D: A lot of cheese
I also take a 3g carb gummy vitamin every day. I know its a waste of carbs but I won't take vitamins otherwise!

Today 5/7:
B: Coffee with half and half
L: More salami, pepperoni, and cheese
D: So far, a cheese stick and 1/2 dill pickle (will update tomorrow if I eat more!)

I do have a big concern on my mind.. I go out of town for work training on Sunday. That means free food everywhere, free Starbucks, and cheap drinks! It will be a huuuge challenge to keep it low carb. Another problem is maintaining my work outs. They have a gym but right now I'm just doing it at home.. Not sure if I'm ready to let the world see me sweat, let alone my coworkers! I think I'll just try to keep up my other workouts from the hotel room! Anything is better than nothing!

Even though my workout endurance is a slooow process, I'm already seeing progress in my weight! Down 10 lbs since I started low carb on 4/22!! Can't wait to get back down to the 100's
Old 05-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joytotheworld View Post
Today 5/7:
B: Coffee with half and half
L: More salami, pepperoni, and cheese
D: So far, a cheese stick and 1/2 dill pickle (will update tomorrow if I eat more!)
I
Ended up eating a heaping bowl of my low carb "hot wing" casserole (cauliflower, chicken breast, cream cheese, cheddar, and hot wing sauce all mixed up). I'm guessing the portion I ate was about 10-12 carbs

I also did some squats while I waited for it to cook!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #8

OH that casserole sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!! YUMMY!

You are doing great. Build up your endurance, you will see a huge change. 10 pounds is awesome!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the encouragement! It's nice to know someone reads these every once in awhile You should definitely try the casserole. I basically just modified the Franks Red Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe by adding a ton of cauliflower
Old 05-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

It's day 3 of my journal and I'm sad to say that I won't be working out today.
I feel as though I'm fighting a cold and I'm guessing the 5-6 hour nights of sleep I've been getting aren't helping. So instead of spending time on a jog and cool down, I'm going to bed to aim for a full 8 hours!

Food for the day:
B: Atkins light meal bar (2g carb)
L: Salami, pepperoni, and cheese (again). 2 servings of almonds
D: Nothing.. more sleepy than hungry tonight!

On a side note, I just learned about JUDDD today (thanks Zipp!).. I'm wondering if combining low carb and JUDDD would work even better? Do the calorie restrictions, while still keeping under 20g carbs on both up and down days... maybe I'll attempt it when I reach a plateau!
Old 05-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
JUDDD is awesome, and you can definitely do it LC. I don't, personally, but many do.
Good job so far, KUTGW!!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #12

There are MANY that do JUDDD as LC! I don't either, but on DD's I focus more on protein. Up days, it is whatever I want I just count the calories.

Get the sleep girl. You sound like your BODY really needs it!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I'm definitely excited to follow your results on JUDDD! It looks like its working out fantastically so far!!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Started out my day 0.2 lbs lighter than the day before so I guess my lack of work out yesterday didn't impede my progress (I know you shouldn't weigh yourself every day... but I don't care! ). I was very tempted to skip the workout today, too.. but I resisted

I only followed the running app for 15 mins today (1 minute more than yesterday!) and and then briskly walked another 5 mins to cool down. I know its pathetic but it just shows how very out of shape I am! Gotta build that endurance!

I'm also going to do some arm strengthening exercises later.. I was waiting for my weights and yoga mat (which come tomorrow! ) but my arms are my biggest concern right now (going sleeveless to a wedding in July!) so I should probably do as much toning as I can

I also ordered a "fitbook" a few weeks ago and it finally came. Its a nifty little place to set 12 weeks of goals and track your progress. So, my goal for the 12 weeks is to get down to 215 lbs. But the biggest goal is that I want to be able to jog 3 miles without pausing to walk! Right now it seems impossible.. but 12 weeks is a long time, right?? I also set mini goals every week, and if I meet them, I get a manicure or pedicure and if I meet my over all goal, I get to use the coach bag I bought a couple weeks ago as an incentive I can't wait!! haha

Here's what I ate today:

B: Atkins meal bar 2g
L: Chiptole 6g
S: almonds (3g) and pistachios (10g)

Off to do some strength training before bed! Goodnight!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I like your Coach bag as incentive. I have a "goal gift" in mind for myself as well. I think its important to reward ourselves with non-food items. Helps break the food cycle.
Keep it up girl, you're doing awesome!!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #16

Quote:
I only followed the running app for 15 mins today (1 minute more than yesterday!) and and then briskly walked another 5 mins to cool down. I know its pathetic but it just shows how very out of shape I am! Gotta build that endurance!
Not ridiculous at all! Keep working / moving forward. I no time you will be doing more than you dreamed!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

So I decided to also start keeping track of calories... not to guide my eating but just for after-the-fact knowledge's sake. Over the last 4 days I've ranged from 1045 to 1250 calories per day.. should I be eating more? less? I want to do everything I can to lose as much weight as possible (obvi).. but I don't want my body to be in starvation mode or whatever it is that people always warn you of.. I did notice a trend (if you can call it that after 4 days...). The more calories I ate the day before, the more weight I lost at weigh in the next morning. I'll try to keep up this tracking to see if that is true over time or just a coincidence.

Anyway, today I ate:
B: 2 Cheddar cheese sticks
S: Short breve double shot Cappuccino (I'm guesstimating about 4-5g carbs..100% worth it)
L: Salami, pepperoni, and cheese (much less cheese than prior days tho)
D: Left over cauliflower casserole stuff

No workout today as it was my planned day off, but I did walk about 20 mins during lunch
Old 05-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

I do think its important to make sure you're well nourished and not threatening your body with "starvation mode" regardless of the diet plan you're on. Even ketogenic diets you gotta eat!! Having said that, I do also believe its possible to eat so many calories that you negate the effects of a ketogenic diet. There was a gentleman who posted on here ages ago back when I first started about how he was in ketosis but could not lose (exercise was not an option). Upon flushing out his daily menu, the other members discovered he was eating up to 3 sticks, yes, sticks of butter a day, along with other high calorie foods. Yes, he was in ketosis but the sheer load of calories prevented any weight loss.
Now, obviously, you're not doing that, or asking for "permission" to do that. An extreme example that leads me to believe that even with a ketogenic diet, calories CAN still be important. You've already discovered that you lose better on the days you eat more.
Most straight forward calorie restricted diets recommend 1200-1500 calories for women. I'd say, off the cuff, if you shoot for somewhere in that range each day you'd probably be good. Play with it and see which days you do better based on that range.
Bearing in mind that all this is coming from someone who failed miserably at Atkins...so take it for what it's worth.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I do think its important to make sure you're well nourished and not threatening your body with "starvation mode" regardless of the diet plan you're on. Even ketogenic diets you gotta eat!! Having said that, I do also believe its possible to eat so many calories that you negate the effects of a ketogenic diet. There was a gentleman who posted on here ages ago back when I first started about how he was in ketosis but could not lose (exercise was not an option). Upon flushing out his daily menu, the other members discovered he was eating up to 3 sticks, yes, sticks of butter a day, along with other high calorie foods. Yes, he was in ketosis but the sheer load of calories prevented any weight loss.
Now, obviously, you're not doing that, or asking for "permission" to do that. An extreme example that leads me to believe that even with a ketogenic diet, calories CAN still be important. You've already discovered that you lose better on the days you eat more.
Most straight forward calorie restricted diets recommend 1200-1500 calories for women. I'd say, off the cuff, if you shoot for somewhere in that range each day you'd probably be good. Play with it and see which days you do better based on that range.
Bearing in mind that all this is coming from someone who failed miserably at Atkins...so take it for what it's worth.

Thanks for the info! I def have some exploring to do as far a what works best. I'm still in the first few weeks of the diet so I'll see what happens as I progress..

And you might have failed at Atkins (which may end up being the case for me too... ) but you're obviously doing incredibly on JUDD!!! So Impressed!!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

So today was day one of the work trip that I was worried about.. and apparently worried for good reason I was doing ok in the morning during the flight over.. atkins bar for breakfast and a low carb starbucks ended up being my lunch. And then dinner went ok, too.. was able to have meat and veggies.. but then my table decided to get some dessert (buffet style all you can eat any time free of charge). I declined at first like a good little atkiner ("Oh, I'm stuffed but you guys go ahead." "Trying to watch my figure" "No, no seriously. I'm SO full") but I was peer pressured into coming back to the bar. I told myself I'd put some food on my plate and pick at it until they were finished.. but I ended up gobbling down about 5 blackberries, 5 blueberries, 3 raspberries....not SO horrible right? And then I finished off with a mini creme brulee Not my finest hour.

To be honest, I am somewhat proud of myself for not giving in entirely. I usually end up with a "screw it" kind of attitude after one diet cheat.. but I'm getting back on the horse tomorrow.. and with a better game plan. For breakfast, I will eat an Atikins bar or eggs (depending on if I make it down to the cafeteria in time!). For lunch, I won't even go into the cafeteria to be tempted by anything delicious! I'll either eat an atkins bar or a few cheese slices and/or some almonds. And for dinner, I will still get meat and veggies but if I'm pressured into getting dessert, it will ONLY be fruit on my plate.. and as little as possible.

I found an old picture that I am going to use as motivation this week. It was taken exactly 10 years ago this month.. I was around 140 lbs and I thought I was disgustingly fat. Oh how I wish I could have seen the future me back then!!

Also, even though I know you're not supposed to weigh every day, it's a bit unsettling not knowing how my eating habits are affecting the scale. Last week it went consistently down every day... But now I won't know until Thursday evening!! Yikes!

I didn't end up doing any work out today so the plan is to wake up early and at the very least do some arm strengthening (i brought a resistance band!). There is also over a mile of walking built into my day tomorrow as the facility is very loooong and I'm at the opposite end!

Wish me luck!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #21

You can do this! Keep it up! Dust off and move forward!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday:
B: Cheese & coffee w/ cream
L: Atkins bar, almonds, pecans, coffee w/ cream
D: Meat & veggies
S: Peanuts & rum

Exercise: arm & abs

Today:
B: eggs, sausage, bacon, coffee w/ cream
L: no-bun cheese burger w/ grilled onions and chipotle mayo and grilled summer squash
S: pecans & almonds
D: brisket & green beans
S: Cheese & a lot of rum

On a side note, I just met a (thin) woman at the bar who wasn't drinking because she gave up alcohol 2 years ago when she lost 100 lbs!! Real life inspiration is awesome!
Old 05-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #23

OH I am sure it was inspirational!!!!!! Motivational too!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

After coming back from my trip a couple lbs heavier, I pretty much gave up on my diet over the weekend.. Which was pretty dumb because it put me back to where I was 2 weeks ago!!

I've been back on my diet since Monday and now I'm back down to where I was before my trip!! Sure, it might be all water weight but I don't really care right now

I'm also back working busy hours so I won't have much time to really work out this week but I try to squeeze in a walk during lunch/dinner.

Hopefully I can stay on track!!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quick food update for the last few days.. I'll start with Monday because Sunday I had an entire pint of ice cream for lunch....

Monday:
B: 1 Egg
L: 1 Egg, pepperoni
D: Steak & veggies

Walked 2 blocks

Tuesday:
B: Cheese
L: 2 Eggs, Cheese
S: Breve Cappuccino
D: Cobb Salad

Walked 2 blocks

Today:
B: Breve Cappuccino
L: Chicken & veggies
D: Steak, cheese, and grilled peppers

Walked about 6 blocks

Since my weight is just back to where it was 1.5 weeks ago, I'd really like to lose as much weight as possible this week to make up for last week.. I've read about the meat & eggs fast so I'm going to try that for the rest of the week to see if it jump starts more losing! Although, I actually tried on Monday but I forgot about it by dinner lol
Old 05-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

5/23:
B: Short breve capp
L: grilled fish tacos (no tortilla)
D: Steak & veggies

Walked 14 blocks
Old 05-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

5/24:
B: Short breve capp
L: Blackened salmon caesar salad
D: hamburger meat, guacamole, bacon, cheese

Walked 18 blocks

5/25
B: eggs, sausage, bacon, cheese
L: Cheese
D: Pizza tops

Lost 3 lbs since Wednesday!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #28

3 pounds in just a few days, that is amazing!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Well, I officially went of the deep end last week. Weighed in this morning at EIGHT pounds gain since my last post

I am going to start a new WOE that will hopefully keep me no track: a form of carb cycling. I'm going to cycle from no carbs (0g), low carbs (20g), high carbs (46g) (but no thought to calories, protein, or fat amounts). I'll workout on low and high days. Rest days on the no carb days.

Speaking of workouts..I have also completely failed at my exercise plan. So, my new plan is to join some sort of program that will hopefully force me to work out. I need somewhere close to work and unfortunately all the gyms nearby are small private (read: expensive) fitness centers. The other two options I've been considering are Curves and Jazzercise. Any thoughts?

The Curves is also fairly expensive ($65/month) but I think 30 second workouts for 30 mins is something I could see myself actually doing. Jazzercise is much cheaper ($40) but the class setting and dance moves are pretty intimidating..

There is one thing I know: I'm starting one of them THIS WEEK.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #30

If you have any fitness level at all Curves will not challenge you. I have heard wonderful things about Jazzercise AND you can meet people and such. Carb cycling sounds like a good option. Let me know how it all goes for you.