Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
I am truly enjoying your memories, Windy. And you've brought to mind treasured thoughts of time spent with my own grandparents for which I'm grateful.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Aunts and uncles started slowly filtering into the large farmhouse, and before you knew it the house was overwhelmed with family members. Since it was June the kids were relegated to the outside to play as to not be under foot in the kitchen. When lunch was laid out on the large farm table, everyone gathered around. The kitchen table was for the adults and "older" cousins. The younger kids ate in the living room on two tables set side by side. There was something spilt at every meal by at least one of us. Then, of course, the usual bickering started up amongst each other. The normal, "He won't quit looking at me," or "She touched my food." could be heard out into the adult area. What was discussed at the big table was a mystery, as I never made it to eat there.

After lunch we all went back outside into the sunshine and played. My one set of boy cousins, Larry, Paul and Doug's favorite trick was to sneak up on top of the garage roof and play. While they were getting into trouble, the aunts were in the kitchen mixing home made ice cream, each one with their separate containers. Once the ice cream mixtures were made, they were walked out onto the side porch and given to each uncle. The men of the family immediately set the canisters into the wooden buckets, clamped down the handles and poured the rock salt and ice in the buckets. They then placed a feed sack on top of each ice cream freezer. This was where we smaller kids came in handy! We had the important task of being a "sitter". As the ice cream got stiffer in the canister, it became harder to turn. We sat on the freezer, not too close to the handle, and put on the extra weight to hold the wood bucket still to finish up our uncles hard work. Having a cold bottom on a warm day wasn't as bad as you might think.

Once the ice cream had set for the appropriate amount of time, the feed sacks came off, the handles were removed and the lids were lifted up to the best sight any kid could imagine, Adults and kids a like, grabbed a glass bowl and spoon and stood in line for their portion of heaven, Sitting there on that warm cement porch with a cold dish of ice cream, and with family, was a time that should have last forever. But sadly it did not and that time has faded away. And here I am again 40 years later, standing in front of the house that is no longer a home.

This was written by my sister December 25 2003. for all 19 cousins to keep as the house and barns were tore down the day after she stood on the porch and thought of this story. The farm had not been in the family for a few years when it was tore down. When we found out it was going to be tore down soon I went and took any small thing I could find like square nails and wood slates from the barns. A couple of hinges some of the stone steps up the front walk. Bricks that were behind the out house. Old color bottles from the trash pile which are worth some thing now. Old lanolum from the kitchen floor I found in the garage. Big pinecones from the two big trees out in the front yard that was over 150 years old. I forget all I got but it was nothing any one else would care about. The next day I got a call from a bus driver on my radio that they were tareing down the farm. I went as soon as I got off the bus and it was all done. I stood and cryed mu heart our. Then I ran home and got my camra and took pictures of all the mess. That was the camra that I had took pictures the day before of all we have told you about. My sister had a friend take a picture with his big camra. She had a picture made for all 19 cousins. A year later the cousins got togeather for a reunion on one of our farms and we held a raffle for all the stuff I had filled my car with that day I was there. Every one got a number and a number was on a item. When their number was called they got that item. They were all so happy to have something from the farm. some got 2 or 3 items. And the funny thing about this story is we all fought over the bricks and stones to the out house. They all wanted them. Don't worry they were not smelly like you would think. We all had our story of going to the out house after dark. HEHEHE!!!!! That's a whole nother story. The End

'
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 35down
Stats: 209/156/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Hi windygap! Thanks for sharing your Grandma's House memory story. Your sister's words painted pictures! Everyone wanting the outhouse memorabilia is just too funny.

Happy New Year, Judy!

Joni
35down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #274
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Charming!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:04 AM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for reading and enjoying part of my younger years. Some times we get so rapped up in dieting or way of eating that we forget the little things. I thought since you liked the ghost story you might like this one. Some times when you are going thru a hard time we need to go back to a happier time in our life. Glad my sister wrote it down so I could tell all of you. Oh by the way Larry talked all of us cousins one year into putting grandma's Concord grapes in to our icecream. Boy did we have a lot of belly aces over that. We still remind him about that.

Now back to JUDDDing!
Old 12-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #276
Senior LCF Member

Oh Carol, I just love your new pictures. You look out of this world great!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #277
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Judy. You are so sweet! I remember my grandma had concord grape vines on her property too. They were so yummy to eat off the vine. Thick tough skins, but what was on the inside was so good! Hard to hide that we'd been at them though....purple hands and lips!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Oh Carol I had to laugh. We could never sneek and get the grapes. We always had purple hands and lips. Isn't it funny how the small things in life can bring you so much joy when you remember back to younger years.

Back to JUDDDing. I am 150 today. I have 6 to go to get back to lowest weight on Thanksgiving Day. Had a great 275 cal. day yesterday but the scales only droped 1 lb. Hopefully another down day or two will do it. It sure felt good to do a DD.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #279
Senior LCF Member

You bring *me* joy, Judy. What delight these stories of your life and childhood have provided. I hope the coming new year will bring you continued adventures and much happiness, sweet lady.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #280
Senior LCF Member

Thank you LolaGetz, So glad you liked them. I told my sister what I did while we were thrift store shopping sat. She had forgot about writing the story. I read her what everyone said and she was so happy that everyone enjoyed it.

I sure would like the happiness part. This year was not so good some times. Here's to a great new year for all and lbs. coming off for every one this year. Today is DD so I am mostly going to have coffee and heavy cream. Trying to stay low to start looseing again.

I have a recall on my steering col. on my car today so I have to set all day with the car at the lot all day. Perefect day for a DD. I hope that is all they find? You know how that goes. First one thing then another.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:52 AM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Dear Diary,

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today is the first day of a brand new year. Just think of the new possablilties we have. I am lower this year even thou I ate thru the holidays then I have been in many years. On a HIGH DAY I am 149 today with the holiday weight on. That is so much lower then the last 10 years or longer. I was 144 Thanksgiveing day. I just have to buckle down for the next few DD and I will be right back there. Do you know how good that makes me feel knowing that. I am so thankful that I got noisey and looked up JUDDD to see what it was that Monica was doing. It sounded all crazy to me until I read the stickeys on the site. It was the easiest thing I have ever done.

Christmas Eve. I got a free to join from WW. Any other year I would have jumped at the chance. Not this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO NO NO. JUDDD is free there is no meetings unless you count getting on the web site here and meeting hundreds of people
that are doing the same thing who will help you any way they can. They are so friendly and they will tell you all their secrets to winning. They will also tell you what did not work for them but may work for you.

I am going to buckle down now that the Holidays are out of the picture. I am going to try to hit 127 or there abouts. It is doable from what I have seen on this site. I have to watch nibbleing at night on DD. I try to just have a bite or two of something and before you know I have ate 5 or 6 bites of different stuff. That is where my problem Lies. That and the doctor keeps hollering about watching the sugar. I gave my self a free Christmas to eat what ever I wanted for the first time in years and it was so much fun.

Christmas I sent masses of candy cake brownies and other deserts to my sisters work place where the men will gobble it up on their break times. I now have a very young man madly in love with me for all the good stuff. I think it was the peanutbutter fudge and fudge iced brownies that got him. He said he was MADLY IN LOVE WiTh me!!!!!!
I knew I would get a younger man some time but I did not know it took peanutbutter fudge to do it. HEHEHE!!!

Ok here goes 15 Cal. so far today. Aiming for under 322. Yes that is my dd number. So here goes. See you tomorrow Diary with a good DD number. judy
Old 01-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #282
Senior LCF Member

Happy New Year, Judy. I so hope it will be a great one for you, that you will meet all of your goals and have fun doing so.

I can completely understand peanut butter fudge being the basis of romance. Teeheehee.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #283
Big Yapper!!!!

PB fudge, huh? Is that how to catch a younger man?

...off to find a recipe.....

Happy New Year, Judy! We are going to make our final goals this year, just you watch!
Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Yea it had to be the fudge and brownies because she said he finished both pans. I have the recipe you need. Who would have thought fudge would do it! I have seen his picture. A cuteeeeeee!!!!!!!

Yes we are going to hit goal this year. You betcha! Lets go!!!!!!!

LolaGetz: If I just knew about the fudge I would have tried it on the last two husbands.
HEHEHEHE!!!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Good morning Diary! We have snow snow snow Here in southern ohio. It snowed all day yesterday and I just woke up to more this morning. DD today so I need to watch careful. I dropped down to 147 yesterday and jumped up to 151 with a up day yesterday. I ate a lot of salt by accident last night and that may be what is wrong. I got too much salt in my home made soup then added some crackers at the bottom of the bag forgetting all the salt was in the crumbles in the bottom . ate a few bites and had to throw the rest out. I hold water bad so that could be the problem. I know the numbers were where they should be.

Read more of the book yesterday and going to read a lot more today. Plan to do some knitting,reading,and maybe snow cleaning on the drive way if it stops today. If not I will do it tomorrow. I Got to watch those Cal. real good today. Going to try to only drink protin drinks and coffee today like he says on the first few pages. He says to do that on DD for the first 2 weeks to get started. I think I will give it a try. Lucky I have plenty so I don't have to go out to get some. See you later.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Doing ok so far Jan.3rd DD. 2 helpings creamer 30 1 large sf apple cider drink 30 that's 60 pluss I have weened a protin drink all day so far and still have about 1/2 left. That would be 110 + 60 = 170 so far. and it is 3 PM. So far so good. I have a birthday comeing up next month so thought I would see what my new numbers would be. Not as bad as I thought 1532 and 306 May try new numbers and see what happens.

The last time I tried to change numbers I stalled out. See you all tomorrow after a good DD.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #287
Big Yapper!!!!

Sounds like a good DD, Judy. When is your birthday?
Old 01-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #288
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 35down
Stats: 209/156/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Just wanted to say Hello Judy. Fun to read of your peanut butter fudge and iced brownies resulting in love.

I started back on low carb today. April 1 will be a year since I had started so am going to see if I can reach goal by then. Need to add in some exercise to do it probably cuz the last months I pretty much stalled. Well except I did eat my way through December and gained 7 pounds but I won't talk about that. Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

Glad to see you are getting back in your JUDDD groove. Wishing both you and LoCarbGal much weight loss success in this New Year.

Will check in with you another day.

Joni
35down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #289
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Joni! From your lips....

Those 7 pounds will disappear quickly. It can't all be real fat!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #290
Senior LCF Member

I am about to scream. I have wrote 2 replys and lost both of them some how.

I'll try one more time. Love to both of you girls. Joni Don't you just love all this romance that is going on. Who would have thought you could get a young man with home made goodies!!!! Thanks for wishing us weight loss. So far my Christmas weight is still on too!Not because I have not been trying. Hope you hit goal by your year mark. I would love to also by June 16 would love to hit goal. after Christmas weight comes off I haveabout 20 to go. I still have 6 from Christmas but it was worth it.

Carol I am trying this message again for the 3rd time. Ill give it to you short this time. DD under 300 for 5 DD Up days under 1600 for 5 days = no weight lossl I just keep bounceing from 147 to 150. some days it goes from 150 upday 149 DD. I know I am not over eating and I don't have that time of the month for years so can't figure why I am not going down at all. My Birthday is Feb. 20th. Do you think I should stay at 1612 and 322 or try droping down to 1532 and 306? What is some tricks you have done since being on JUDDD. I know the cream and lots of coffee till later on in the day. Oh I forgot to tell you the 2nd set of numbers was from my lowest weight before Christmas and new age next month.

Well girls I am going to go get the washer and get off here before I lose this message. May be the storms have something to do with it. Love to all. School starts tomorrow if we don't get the big storm.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #291
Big Yapper!!!!

I actually wonder if you shouldn't up your calories a bit. A whole lot of us wound up stalling when we reduced our calories too soon. Meaning before the old ones stopped working for us. Your body may just be saying there's not enough fuel. Because average, you're getting just 950 or less per day - that doesn't sound like enough!

I know it's scary to raise your calories when you're not losing, but it has worked for many of us on JUDDD. Have you asked this question on the main boards? (I came here first today, so haven't caught up on the main boards yet.)

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #292
Senior LCF Member

No I have not done that. I ask one other time if we had to drop it and I believe it was Dawn that said not for the same reason as you have said about the other girls. My sister who works part time at a gym has wondered all along if I was too low. Any Idea where you think I might try?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #293
Senior LCF Member

Well it is still Sunday night. At 5 till 9 it was pouring the rain since 5 and All of a sudden it was pouring the snow. 15 min. later school was called off for tomorrow. So I guess here comes the next storm. Nite nite!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:45 AM   #294
Senior LCF Member

thank you God we did not get all the snow. Maybe 2 '' I have to go 50 miles from home today for several eye test and I am so thankful the snow did not come that high. My son has to take me this time because I will not be able to see to drive home. We got some ice but it looks like the cars are doing ok infront of my house so ai guess we can go. I will check the weather station soon to see.

I do not know what is going on in JUDDD land in my house. I did a 375 DD and I am still at 149 after DD. By this time I would have lost at least 4 to 5 lbs. I went a little higher yesterday. I felt as little sick the last time. Going to go a little higher on up day today to cover the 20% distance and see what happens. I hope Carol might have some ideas on changing the numbers up.

I better read JUDDD and get the house picked up and hair curled for Dr. visit. I will keep checking back today on this site and Wed. Tue I have a trip so I will be working from 6 am to 10 pm I probably wont be on Tue.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #295
Senior LCF Member

You always inspire me windy. I'm glad you didn't get snow but it still could be treacherous out there. To me ice seems more dangerous than snow. Stay safe.

Good luck with tweaking your JUDDD regimen. So many people report having great success with it. Lately I've gotten the feeling that maybe more people on these boards are doing JUDDD than are doing straight LC. I've gotten the impression that it is popular because people find it flexible and because some people sometimes miss eating a more inclusive diet, one which might occasionally include more carbs.

I haven't yet really missed eating more carbs and I don't mind eating pretty much the same thing most days so for now I'm going to stick with VLC. Also, since I lowered carbs to see if it might help my arthritis and found to my great relief and, truth be told, astonishment that it has helped enormously I don't want to change anything right now. It is such a blessing to be free of arthritic discomfort and pain. I'm deeply grateful for the amazing improvement I've experienced.

Anyway, dear Windy, take care out there. Hope your eye appt goes well.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #296
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windygap View Post
No I have not done that. I ask one other time if we had to drop it and I believe it was Dawn that said not for the same reason as you have said about the other girls. My sister who works part time at a gym has wondered all along if I was too low. Any Idea where you think I might try?
Hmmm.....well, you might try 500 cal DDs for awhile, like maybe a week, and see what happens. If you don't start losing and aren't gaining, try adding 200 cals on your UDs, and then wait another week. Or, you could do it the other way around, trying higher UDs first. You'll just have to tweak until you find your sweet spot. I sure hope this will be the answer for you!

Good luck with your eye test, and stay safe on those roads!
Old 01-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Thanks carol, I never did 500 cal. days started at 322 right from the start. I'll try that then try the other end. Thanks for the help. When we go back to work tomorrow I hope it all just falls back into place with the eating. It's hard to keep fighting the food when you are sitting home all day.

Hey Lola' It is freezeing here -21. Just a little snow and some ice not too bad. My Dr. called and wanted me to come in this morning so I called son to see if he could go early since they were going to dialate my eyes this time for several test. He called about the time he should have arrived and ask if I could come and get him. His truck was froze shut and he broke the driver side handle trying to get it open. So I ran out the door and drove20 min. away to get him then had to go fast to the eye hospital . It took an hour but we walked up right at that time. Not a min. to spare. Ggt all good news except one test. Now I can start to go to the office close to me now. I have to go to a new Dr. but it will just be 10 min. from home.

So glad you are doing so great on low carb. I am tickled to death that it is keeping you out of pain. That is great news. I need to go more low carb.

Ok I am going to keep on keeping on. This will break I know it will. Love ya and see you two tomorrow maybe or for sure Wed.

Oh by the way Stella Style has great cook books for low carb. I met him and have 5 of his books. I use to cook out of all of them till I started Juddd. I'll have to start using some of their recipes again. Also the radio just said Wed it will be 30 below. Oh my. I need to make coffee again. I am frozen now. I know Carol Heavy cream. HEHEHE!!!
Also if this is badly written please forgive me my eyes are still out of wack and am still trying to see thru the fuzziness.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:56 AM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Well I can't believe it but no wchool again today. My trip tonight has not been canceled yet. You would think if it is too cold to go to school it would be too cold to play sports but that is only a dream.

I am worried if my car sits in the lot all night it might not start at 10 at night. Oh boy that will be bad. I just will keep hopeing they cancel it.

To day I am starting 500 down days to see what happens. Have did under 300 dd since Christmas and no luck so far on looseing. I hope I am just holding water from the holidays. I have been adding more low carb also. I am going to do this for 1 week and see.

I can't wait to see this freeze over. My house is sitting on 64 and it feels like 04. I look crazy with all these extra clothes on. Thank God I don't have to weigh with them on or I would be 10 lbs. heavier. Oh by the way Carol I noticed the clothes are fitting looser today. So may be all is not a failure since Christmas. Now for a hot cup of coffee. Bye
Old 01-07-2014, 05:37 AM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Oh, Windy, I so hope that they will cancel the sport outing tonight. It only got down to 8 degrees here (and no snow or ice) but all the schools in the area delayed opening by 2 hours. At home, we lost power around 5:30 a.m. so the morning was kind of an adventure. We'd already made the coffee fortunately and I was able to make my husband's lunch using a flashlight. He had to take a cold shower. Yikes. After he left for work I huddled under blankets on my armchair and used candles and the flashlight to provide light enough for reading. After a couple of hours the power came back on and I was so very grateful. The temp inside had gotten down to 63 and I was feeling pretty chilly; I can't imagine your having to deal with 64 degree temps inside for an extended period. My heart goes out to you. A number of years ago, while my husband was out of town and our area was inundated by heavy snows, I was without power for a week. That was quite exciting and cold. I spent the entire time bundled in long underwear, coats, hat, under piles of blankets with both dogs and the cat cuddled up with me for warmth. I hope that never happens again!

Anyway, dear Windy, I hope you manage to stay warm and certainly stay safe and I will pray that you don't have to drive that bus tonight!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Oh Thankyou so much. I sure hope they don't go out tonight. I would love to get back to work it's not that I am lazy but I don't want to get stranded to night late at night, My son can not come to get me because he can still not get in his truck if it would start.

Your story about the cold made me fill alittle warmer just reading it. My cats are chaseing each other just to keep warm I think! Maybe I need to chase after them? I am keeping the heat low because I have a very old furness and I am trying to not bog it down. It is running like crazy now at the low temp. My sister called a little while and said 3 people lost theirs last night and one lost ele. Mine is over 50 years old so I am trying to baby it. I got the idea to turn the dehumitifier on and see if that don't make the living room alittle warmer. It always makes the room it is in warmer usually so we are trying that now.

I just got a call from the boss. Jr.high trips are cancelled but High School is going if the host school is not calling it off. My trip is up in Dayton tonight so I have no idea if they are closed up there. I'll just have to keep praying. Love to all who is reading this and may you all lose weight this week.