Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #1741
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Oh, ladies. I am just HURTING tonight. Like, every fiber of every muscle in my body is just aching. My sister has fibromyalgia and if that feels worse than what I'm feeling right now, I don't know how she copes. When I feel this bad, I wonder if I have it too. I should go soak in a hot bath. I think I'll go make myself do that. I'll use Epsom salt and treat myself to what Lola's been having done to her foot.

Be back soon.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #1742
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
sorry Cheryl. Let us know if the hot bath helps (hugs)
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #1743
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Feel better, dear Cheryl. I hope the long warm soak helped. Aspirin remains my go to miracle drug. Maybe it might help you as well.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #1744
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Good job on the Epson salts. Supposed to be a very healing soak.
You must of worked your tail off!
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #1745
Big Yapper!

I wish I'd thought of Aspirin before I took the Advil (I say Advil or Motrin but I take the generic.) I feel a little bit better after soaking but now the skin on my fingertips is as rough as a cat's tongue. I will at least sleep a little bit better now.

I think what happened is I'd been doing LC all of February and then I went out for a birthday pizza party on the 2nd of March. I only scalped the toppings but I had a couple beers. I hadn't had anything to drink for all of February (or most of it). That got me back into making little "exceptions" here and there and then I started eating badly. I think my body is just in hyper-inflammation mode from what I've gone back to eating and drinking. My body is screaming at me to STOP!!!!!!

I didn't do anything different at the farm and I had lots of helpers. I wore a back brace for the entire shift just to give me some support. My back hurts a lot when I'm up there in weight and when you stop LCing, the water weight floods back into your body. I'm just paying the price for bad decisions.

But I stopped at the grocery store tonight and dragged my aching butt around and passed up the potato chips and queso dip that was calling my name. I bought all things that I can eat and feel good as a result of eating. I was feeling SO GOOD for a while there. I dropped 18 lbs and couldn't believe how much better that made me feel.

I haven't weighed in a few days but I have been pretty bad diet-wise. I will get back to what I was doing and it will fade (the pain and all that goes with it.)

Lola was limping a bit tonight. In hindsight, I should have called the director to see if she wanted me to give her some medication. I wasn't thinking and when it occurred to me, I was writing my goodbye-note that they will read when they come in tomorrow. (That's how we communicate now.) She might have had me give her some meds. Oh well.

I soaked her hoof for the full 10 minutes tonight. I waited until after she pooped. Had to improve my timing. I got down on the floor of the stall to dry, apply the miracle clay (don't ask; holistic stuff) and then wrap her foot. I had one heck of a time getting back up on my feet after that. I think that was what did me in and made me feel so horrid with pain.

I'll feel better soon. I'll toe the line.

I'm going to rest for the remainder of the night. Two more days to go. Five in a row is way too much. I'm going to have the Director to take next Saturday off my hands. She said yesterday that she could do Saturday. I'm going to tell her the good news right now, via text (sarcasm, if you can't tell.)

Sleep well and be blessed.

Last edited by CherylB; 03-09-2014 at 06:47 PM..
Old 03-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #1746
Blabbermouth!!!

sorry Cheryl. I was "off" for a few days too ......ended up with a bad cold ( I never have colds ) while camping and was pretty miserable. Gave in and ate crap for 2 days..;/

Glad you realized what it was . You can do this . Rest well sweetie, hope she gives you sat off !
Old 03-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #1747
Big Yapper!

I'm sorry, Laura. I'm a big baby when I get sick. Are you feeling better now? I hope so. There are so many tempting "goodies" out there, but it's like pretty poison. I will recall how much I suffered tonight and use that to keep me moving in the right direction. Wellbeing is its own reward.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #1748
Blabbermouth!!!

nah, I still have the dreaded cold. But, I'll live Dayquil and Nyquil are my friends. Hope you feel better after soaking !

Yes, they are poison. I have been going on and off plan for weeks now and need to QUIT IT ! I told DH that the 1st week or 2 are the hardest and then when I get in the "zone" I'm totally good ! I am really bad about eating "comfort" foods when I'm sick... such a baby lol !
Hope now that you are back to good foods you will feel better in the morning !

Night ! Sleep well

ATTITUDE is the difference between an ordeal and an ADVENTURE !!

'If you're tired of starting over, then QUIT stopping !"
Old 03-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #1749
Big Yapper!

Goodnight, Laura. We can get with the program and once we do, look out world!

Virtue is its own reward, right?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #1750
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

God bless both of you as you re-start... yep, its the toughest part... getting in the groove. For me it was getting the sugar out of my system, which means the carbs... we all 'eat' for different reasons. Mine was a tranquilizer, I think. But we CAN & do change! Keep on truckin one of the tv sermons I listened to today (lots of 'em) was saying how mistakes is how we learn...
Hope we ALL feel better tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #1751
Big Yapper!

I got the day off! I took a chance and texted the director to see if she'd be at the farm today, and if she'd be able to cover my shift. She did! She just asked me to call the office administrator to tell her that she wouldn't be able to help inside with her cause she'd be outside doing the barn stuff. Whew! My body needed a day off.

Stuck to LC yesterday, will be strictly LC today and maybe by tomorrow I'll be at least 50% less achy and swollen. I think once these two new people are off orientation, I'm going to request that I cut back to two shifts per week. I'll tell her that I can still come and free lunge the horses or do things like grooming but that my body can't take all this physical stress on it anymore. (And frankly, I can't face another year of being eaten alive by bugs.) Two shifts will still give me a little money to help me live.

I won't spring that on her just yet. I'll plan a sneak attack.

Have a good day, ladies. I'm going to rest and recupe.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #1752
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
Hello! I can't say I'm surprised you're cutting back your time at the farm. I think you'll be happier. Hope you're feeling better eating LC. I'm doing ok with WW. My weight is dropping but real slow. I guess progress is progress. Lol.
Tomorrow is Chloe's school day and I have to take my dd to work at 8 then Chloe to school at 9. I better be going to sleep soon
Feeling a little better. Called the dr today and they said this virus hangs on for about a week. Great. Good thing it's almost a week! I don't like feeling so weak and run down.
Well, time for bed. Good night.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

"He who the Son sets free is free indeed"

Tammy
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #1753
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Hey girl! Sorry I haven't been more faithful in the journals lately! I'm sorry you're not feeling well, big so glad you took that warm bath. I'm planning on Epsom salt baths a lot in my next round. Hope you're feeling better and sorry you're working so much! At least it's warming up a bit. Soon you'll have blossoms all around you . I love spring and miss lilacs... Soon my friend!
julieboolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:35 AM   #1754
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lola001
Stats: 68.2/67.1/50
WOE: Atkins 72 post preggy
Start Date: begin 15 April 2009
Hi Cheryl

do hope that you are feeling better. I have not been so good about going online since baby has arrived and now I am back at work. feeling overwhelmed by work and home. So did not come to complain- just to explain absence.
good news on cutting back on farm work especially if you are in such pain.
I read that you have gone back to LC- I did as well yesterday. full day with no bread, rice, potatoes or junk food. already feeling lightheaded so cross fingers that I stay on track. I have already put on weight that I lost post birth.
Hugs for Cisco.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #1755
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola001 View Post
Hi Cheryl

do hope that you are feeling better. I have not been so good about going online since baby has arrived and now I am back at work. feeling overwhelmed by work and home. So did not come to complain- just to explain absence.
good news on cutting back on farm work especially if you are in such pain.
I read that you have gone back to LC- I did as well yesterday. full day with no bread, rice, potatoes or junk food. already feeling lightheaded so cross fingers that I stay on track. I have already put on weight that I lost post birth.
Hugs for Cisco.
Always such a pleasure seeing you here, Lola! I'm sorry you had to return to work. Must be so hard to leave your heart at home and drive away. Does it feel like that? I'm so thankful to God that you were blessed with another child. I know how much you desired one and how long you tried. Happy endings

Cisco says thanks for the hugs! But Cooper is saying, "Where's mine?" That's my bunny I adopted from an ex barn girl. He's a cutie and house-broken and loves to be outside his cage. Cissy and he have become safe to be together. I never thought Cissy would adjust. She's hard-wired to chase, capture and shake small furry things that flee from her. Squirrels are her favorite.

WTG on your first day of LC! Maybe you have a touch of the Atkins Flu. Drink lots of fluids and you'll get past it. I'm back on it two days now but I over did the salt yesterday so I'm puffy and joints stiff and inflamed still. I hate when I feel like this. Yet, I keep going back to the poison that tastes so good.

I hope you can pop in here more often. Can you get on LCF at work or will they be spying on you? Don't get in trouble, just trying to help you multitask.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #1756
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tay65 View Post
Hello! I can't say I'm surprised you're cutting back your time at the farm. I think you'll be happier. Hope you're feeling better eating LC. I'm doing ok with WW. My weight is dropping but real slow. I guess progress is progress. Lol.
Tomorrow is Chloe's school day and I have to take my dd to work at 8 then Chloe to school at 9. I better be going to sleep soon
Feeling a little better. Called the dr today and they said this virus hangs on for about a week. Great. Good thing it's almost a week! I don't like feeling so weak and run down.
Well, time for bed. Good night.
Well, that's what I'm hoping to do. I don't see how they can say no, now that we have new hires. I just think that the director is going to have her hands in the forming of the monthly schedule and be trying to "make it fair" to all when it would work out better to just ask each person what they would like as a regular schedule and then make it that way each month as closely as we can manage that. I don't like having her as my direct supervisor now. There's no one between she and us and I really am growing to dislike dealing with her. I know now why the manager went starch raving loony tunes.

Slow progress is still progress, as you said. Keep traveling down that road. If it doesn't feel like as much of a sacrifice as doing LC or JUDDD or something like that, keep doing what you're doing. What I like is if we get really sick of one WOE, we can change to something else. Just so long as we are getting results. Right?

You're still sick? Wow. Seems like more than a week. You've had a tough winter for colds, haven't you? I'm sorry you feel so rotten. How is Chloe enjoying school? I'll bet she makes friends easily.

I hope you got some good sleep. Lord knows I didn't. I had a really bad night. Was up past 3 or worse, woke before 9, took my am pills, tried to go back to sleep but didn't and finally gave up around noon. Face all puffy, hands stiff and swollen, knees creaking, et al.

Better days are coming! But we have to make them come.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #1757
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieboolie View Post
Hey girl! Sorry I haven't been more faithful in the journals lately! I'm sorry you're not feeling well, big so glad you took that warm bath. I'm planning on Epsom salt baths a lot in my next round. Hope you're feeling better and sorry you're working so much! At least it's warming up a bit. Soon you'll have blossoms all around you . I love spring and miss lilacs... Soon my friend!
It's okay, Julie. To be honest, when I'm going through all the threads I subscribe to, the journals are the last threads I go to and catch up on. Guilty as charged.

I bought a funky kind of Epsom salt. It has this menthol scent or something to it and it makes me want to gag. Won't buy that again. I didn't know there were more than one kind of Epsom salt out there.

Ooh! Lilacs! I love them. They're my favorite Spring scent. I wish they bloomed all summer long. I think some varieties of Lilacs do bloom twice a year. If I can bottle up that scent and ship it to AZ, I'll try.

I will try and visualize (if that's the right word) those Spring scents and sights today as I'm plodding along in the mud and puddles. One of our volunteers on Saturday said something funny. "They should put some kind of drain in." I said that was a city thing and this is private property. Young people don't get how things work but I thought it was so cute. Somebody pull the plug!

I heard from the morning barn girl who's been training the new lady (who has experience and seems fast and good at the work) may be taking the Sunday morning shift on her own next weekend! How cool is that? I'll be doing Sunday pm so I'll be the one to see just how good she is. Will be sure and give her feedback if need be. I hope she's good but without being "uppity." The ex-manager said she got the impression she was going to be snooty. Will find out soon enough.

52 degrees today! Windy at times but I'll take it. Should have at least two volunteers today. The horses will be naked so they will all be muddy and nasty and shedding. Grooming will be necessary but for the first night in many moons, we won't have to plug in the water buckets. We will stay above freezing. Light sheets only for keeping the horses comfy. That's what I'm guessing, anyway. Nowadays, it's largely up to our discretion what to put on them. The ex-manager always told us those things when she lived there. Now we can make decisions like big girls. One positive outcome, I guess.

Have a great day. Bbl.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #1758
Big Yapper!

I had a good day but it was long. Mild temps, wind wasn't so bad that it made me wish I was wearing more than my light shirt. I took the time to really give Doug (new guy) the crash-course in things that he might need to know how to do if he's ever the staff barn person on that shift. Come to find out tonight, the director doesn't know if she'll ever use him to be "that person". I did my best so that's all I can do.

I say I suck with people but when it comes down to it, I really try hard to teach them as much as I can in the time allowed. Maybe what I hate is when my teaching doesn't seem to come to fruition. When I can't see the fruits of my labor. I think that's it in spades. I don't hate people. I hate when they don't act like sponges. Or at least get it over time.

There were LAKES of water and rivulets all over the farm. It was bad. We were slogging our way back and forth doing our tasks. I had three volunteers, God bless them. I need to be more thankful for whatever they do because if they weren't there, it would just be all me. I don't know why I feel so entitled.

I have more to say but not tonight. Bunny and dog have been enjoying my being home tonight. I'm feeling like my old self again. Pain is gone (thanks for any prayers or well-wishes) and I am going to survive.

Sweet dreams, ladies.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #1759
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congrats on feeling better! I can sure appreciate feeling better too.
Sounds like things went well on the farm. Albeit wet! Wet here too.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #1760
Big Yapper!

Thanks, Debby. I'm off today and tomorrow so I can rest up the rest of the way, then another 5 day stretch. Well, unless the new woman starts taking shifts in the meantime. I was going to have the director do my Saturday pm but then I found out she was asked to cover the morning girl's shift that day. I can't do that to her so I texted her last night and said I'd do my shift after all.

Taking the ex-manager out for her birthday today. Chili's, here we come. 7pm. I'll be good and get fajitas and skip the tortillas or something. Virtue is its own reward. Have a great day everyone.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #1761
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
You do sound like your old self! Yay! Being in control when eating out is so hard! I'm glad you've got a plan going in . Enjoy a little rest and know warm up must be coming soon! It'll dry out eventually too .
julieboolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #1762
Big Yapper!

I wish someone would cancel for tonight's dinner so we could all be off the hook. I'm sure none of us really want to go. It's her birthday but nobody (but me, apparently) wants to go that late (don't WANT to but don't care) and it's going to be pouring rain at 7. But I don't see another day this week that we can do it. All of our schedules conflict. I guess I'll let one of them decide to cancel and I'll just go with the flow.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #1763
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
Cheryl, just dropping in fast to say I LOL'd at your Wily Wabbit story on the other thread.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #1764
Big Yapper!

Plum, I'm glad you enjoyed that. I think of Elmer Fudd and think of him hunting wabbits. Be vewy vewy quiet...

Copy/paste from horse thread:

Birthday dinner was really nice. Overtone is sadness but she puts on a happy face and enjoys our company. It's not energy expended in vain. I really think she is a life-long friend and even if she isn't, we are in each other's life right now for a reason. God is good that way.

It was raining pretty good when I got to the restaurant but when we left, it was barely a drizzle. She got a good break from the weather just in time for her to drop off her truck at the mechanic's and walk home a short distance with her dog. She didn't want a ride but the other girl lives just a mile from her. It all worked out very nicely. We just have a terrible time every time the bill comes. Next time we won't be treating the ex-manager and we'll just get separate checks. OMG. The turmoil over splitting a check three ways and then chipping in for the birthday girl. Yeesh! Should have been really easy cause my bill was $19 and change and I gave $25, plus gave her $20 in a card so I wasn't even putting in toward her bill. It was just the other girl paying for hers and putting in toward the birthday girl.

All's well that ends well and it was a good night. We have a great time each time we get together. So far, same place, same booth, second time. Next time we'll try a different restaurant or bar.

I stuck to my LC plan and didn't eat the tortillas but did drink LC beer. I know, but for me, that's practically being a saint. Bullet dodged. Or golf ball dodged, take your pick.

Good night! You can't foresee the future or the weather, that's for sure. Tonight I wasn't dressed for it but I was tempted to head up to the farm to make sure the run-in horses were properly dressed but I just went home after our dinner. My boots would have been down for the count.

Rose, I wish you could get in to see that house faster than that. I hate waiting. I'm the worst waiter ever. Give me what I want and give it to me NOW. I've got better things to do with my time.

Chili's doesn't have those Mushroom Jack Fajitas on the menu anymore but they made them for me! OMG. Those are so wonderful. You don't even need the flour tortillas. Just toss the toppings on, cut it all up and eat it right off that sizzling cast iron skillet. This is dieting? Yeah, baby!
Old 03-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #1765
Blabbermouth!!!

Morning !

So glad you ended up going to the party. I bet she really appreciated you all doing that ! The fajitas sound so good..... my boys cooked some here and I plan to "grab" some of them and make a quick fajita salad for me to take to work with my taco soup. Back on track 100 % - day 4. Have to get in the 'zone' and stay there !

You are doing so good. Sorry you do have to work that pm shift, but was nice of you .

Have a great day Cheryl !
Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #1766
Big Yapper!

WTG, Laura! Yeah, those fajitas were so good. I really enjoyed every bite.

The director texted me back and said that she was fine doing Saturday so I have the day off as previously arranged. Maybe she's planning on being a "regular" on the barn schedule to save the farm money. If that's true, there won't be enough hours to go around. I only want three pm shifts per week but I know the current morning girl wants M-F am's. She's already heard a rumor that she's not getting that exact schedule and she's really upset. I don't know why she thought she'd be able to avoid all weekends.

My main objective is to work pm shifts that save me the hassle of working on days when there will be program but I'm getting the sense that the director will be putting me on most of those days. I will be very displeased if she does. I know her mantra is "whatever's best for the farm and the program" and "how can I be of service" (how we are supposed to approach our parts in the larger scheme of things) but I don't think she can expect us to go from a schedule that we pretty much worked out ourselves to one that she does with that mindset.

So the girl will hopefully text or call me later on after she talks with the director face-to-face about the schedule today. She said, "She doesn't sound happy." Well, doesn't sound like ANY of us will be, very soon.

Have a good day, everyone. I'm hunkering down here at home. Winter storm "Vulcan" is still affecting us with temps in the teens, winds ranging from 20 to 40 mph. I don't know much about Virginia or the DC area but I am going to have to look into things down there. When my sis leaves CT, might be time for me to leave too. Wish I had the guts to move West again.

Told my mom via text today that she would likely be living with me when the time comes that she can no longer live on her own. I was asking her if she wanted to move to the DC area or stay here. She said she didn't know she had a choice. I'm just trying to feel her out. But now that I told her that, I'm committed. I promised I would do that as a favor to my sister and although it will suck, I will make that sacrifice. Hopefully it won't be for a good number of years in the future.

Have a nice day. Hope you're warm and dry!

Last edited by CherylB; 03-13-2014 at 11:03 AM..
Old 03-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #1767
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Cheryl,
I think its wonderful that you can offer to take your Mom in when she can't live on her own. Its always a blessing for them to hear, even if it doesn't happen.
I sure hope communication & compromise can come about for your schedules. Sounds like the director needs some people skills. Try not to 'sweat' over it... that's what I'm trying to do about my job stuff... these things have a way of working out & then all the worrying is a waste of time.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #1768
Big Yapper!

Hi, ladies. Deb, I hope it never happens that I need to take my mother in. I think she might have been hoping that my other sister would but she (mom) needed to know that this was already decided. I did it for my sister, primarily. I wanted to release her from any thoughts that she might have to take care of her grandchild (primary babysitter while her son and dil work) and my mom as she got more and more forgetful and less "able."

Working today. Will have the new woman as my orientee. (That word isn't in the dictionary? Weird!) She's been doing lots of mornings but I think this will be her first afternoon. I hear she's fast and I'm supposed to slow her down and make her focus on little details that she's been missing, like latching gates behind herself when she leaves. The horse that is lame went booking out of her run-in the other day when she found her gate was open. I haven't heard that whole story but maybe someday I will.

The schedule. The morning girl got exactly what she wanted. M-F, all mornings, and she will (I'm guessing) still throw the lunch hay and do the am and pm grain set up and maybe move manure. She's getting paid for all those extra things that the ex-manager did to compensate for living in her apartment. How nice for the morning girl, huh?

And since she will never be working during the hours that program riding lessons are held, she won't even have to be a part of that whole mess. I have a very big problem with that because that only leaves me as the only barn person with knowledge to help out. Firstly, I want to work three shifts, secondly, I wanted to work sat and sun pm as two of those three shifts. That's not going to happen now.

I am trying to take this one day at a time cause as it stands, we're only able to create the schedule one WEEK at a time. Once the other two people are up and running on their own, we can figure out the rest of it.

Gotta finish my coffee and get ready for work. Just barely above freezing today but dry and no precip. Windy though. Hats and coats for sure. Later, people.

Last edited by CherylB; 03-14-2014 at 11:43 AM..
Old 03-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #1769
Big Yapper!

(Copy/paste from horse thread. Bute and Banamine are for pain and inflammation.)

Orientee wasn't there. I wasn't told she wasn't coming today so I don't know what happened. I just texted my boss (will call her that rather than "director" now that she's my only one) to tell her she wasn't there. OMG, how I hate Friday pm shift. Those three little teenage girls just drive me clear up the wall. I've given them one-on-one instruction on how they can clean a paddock better at least three times. I feel bad that I have to keep giving them tips but they just don't change.

Today I just decided that I wasn't going to tip-toe around them anymore. I showed them how they could do it better, said that the arena was still really bad (though I saw them all in there with two wheelbarrows) and they didn't bother to go back and make it better. They moved onto the next paddock as if I hadn't talked to them at all.

So when the older lady came, (she always comes an hour after the teenyboppers come) I said to her that it was "already done" and it might be rude to have her go in there and clean it up while the girls were still there, but I was tired of being polite and leaving all that stuff for the Saturday pm crew to clean up. And they always do, too.

It took Shelly an HOUR to clean the hay and poop from the arena. And about 3 or maybe even 4 wheelbarrow dumps to get it clean. And the teen girls? Just went about their merry way, talking and having an oblivious time. When their ride came, they waved and I said "Bye." Didn't even bother to say thank you. When I wrote my "report" to leave in the office for the morning girl and our boss, I said what I went through with those girls and that it's the same every Friday. I wish they'd quit. I'm tired of being "nice."

When someone's scheduling volunteers and they don't know anything about them, they look at the schedule and see the names and assume we're all set. Having them is worse than NOT having them cause maybe they'd put other names in their place; names of people who can actually work without being prodded.

I have to just say one more thing about these chicks. They were in the run-in cleaning up Calvin and Lola's area. They asked if they should rake up a pile of hay. I said yes and then talked to them about the arena and said it had a lot of stuff still in it. I went in and showed them (on piles of poop they had supposedly already raked up) and showed them how to rake up the scattered balls and pick them ALL up. I gave the fork back to the girl and just stood there for a few minutes. They placed all three of their manure forks under the hay pile and they collectively picked up the hay and carried it over to the wheelbarrow in the biggest chunk they could carry. It's futile. I'm sure these girls still have their mom's cleaning their rooms for them.

That's enough. I don't feel better having said all that, I just feel heard.

Lola's not out of the woods. They left me a note saying she was back to being non-weight bearing to that hoof with the abscess but when I saw her, she was walking on it but was being evasive. It's very unusual for her to avoid me when I come up to her but she kept walking away from me. Later on she was better but she's clearly not happy. Still soaking her hoof and applying miracle clay. No Bute or Banamine today, as far as I was told.

Daphne was given a scoop of some new Dynamite herbal product. I can only guess it's for her bald, itchy belly and tail. I'm so sick of this crap. This woman should only be in charge of the therapeutic riding aspect of our farm; not what we feed our herd or how we treat their injuries. Her "energy work" isn't working. (She's a Reiki Master too.)

My boss texted me back. The orientee called in sick and my boss thought she was supposed to be there for the morning shift so she didn't tell me she wasn't going to be there. I texted her back and said that today was going to be my one and only day to work with her cause my boss is doing tomorrow pm. Silence on the other end of the phone now. (ETA: She texted back and said I'd have her next Monday and Tuesday pm. Well, at least I'll get to see how she works and get a feel for her. )

I was walking around the farm when I got there (as I always do), just getting an overview of what was going on. I found a white bucket where it shouldn't have been so I walked up to it. I noticed it was frozen on the top so I tipped it over with some force to break the ice and drain the bucket. It was a lot thicker than I thought it was. So I dumped it upside down and the ice came out. It was solid except for the very center. It just stood there all on its own and I walked away to put the bucket in the barn. Someone must have forgotten it overnight and it just went unnoticed.

I was walking up past the mini's heated water bucket and there were large pieces of ice all scattered around it. Someone hadn't plugged their water bucket in last night and so they had no water until this morning. The ice was about 2" thick.

The morning girl said she did the stall bedding this morning but I ended up putting a full bag of shavings in the mini's shelter and put a half bag in two other stalls. I found 2 others that were borderline and just decided I'd done enough. I didn't leave the farm until 8 pm.

I do feel I need to keep my options open and to keep an eye out for another equine job in my area. I don't want to be a part of this operation under her management. It will never go smoothly. It will never "level out." What horses will we even have to use in program? Two of them are out of commission. One recently foundered and his right rear hoof felt warm to me tonight (Cowboy). I wrote about it on the report sheet. He's been getting Banamine, too.

The farrier is coming Tuesday and he's going to trim everyone except Cowboy. He's the one with the front shoes and the warm hoof. Why wouldn't he see Cowboy?

When I was putting down my hours for today, I looked over the morning girl's sheet. I did it because I wanted to see if she's charging for all the time she spends at the farm or if she is also "gifting" some of her time that runs over the 3.5 hours allowed for her shift and putting it down as volunteer time. She's charging for it all. None of her entries are volunteer. And she's over the 3.5 hour mark often. I must be a chump for sticking to the 2.5 hours that my pm shift has been reduced to and putting the rest down as volunteer. I'm not going to be a chump anymore. By sticking to that new rule, I lose $80-100/month.

My whole first year as an employee, I didn't realize that staff meetings were paid time. I always put them down as volunteer time. NO body told me different. I guess they just thought I was being nice. I only found out they were paid when they started cancelling our staff meetings each month, starting in December. I couldn't understand why and then I heard it was to save money.

This is going to be a very long, boring book so I'll post it now. Sorry I didn't have better stories to share tonight.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #1770
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What a shame that those girls can't be trained to do the job they're volunteering for. I hope your honesty helps the situation.
Working tomorrow? Hope you have a good rest & hope for a better day.