Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #1681
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Hi, ladies. Julie, I was sleeping well until 0730 when I was in a deep dream-state of sleeping and I heard a scraping sound outside my window. It got interpreted as some sort of masonry work in my dream but my rational brain had to make sense of what I was hearing so I dragged myself out of that lovely deep sleep to find that it was my upstairs neighbor doing whatever they do (often) on their side walk and steps leading to their porch. I didn't want to open the blinds and stare them down with my wild morning hair and rumpled pj's so I waited until they stopped and I heard the door close. Both cars were gone and there's only one tiny space that is ice-free, which explains why they are literally "chipping away at it" SLOWLY, over time.

I am very tempted to take my driveway salt over there today and simply spread it around. Why on earth haven't they done that yet? Some salt and the warmer temps that we are experiencing for this brief moment in time will have that ice melted lickety split.

So then I laid awake and thought of nothing more than the ice and salt and the ridiculousness of it all and tried to let it go so I could slip back into that lovely deep sleep. Eventually I did and each time I woke again, I tried to go back down into that place. I slept a good long while.

Now the bunny is free and loving his time outside the cage. He and Cissy are perfectly fine together now. I don't leave them alone but I know that I could if I needed to for a short time. He's really a good pet. He just hopped back into his cage to munch on the fresh pellets I put in his bowl. I can hear the hanging toy jingling. Oops! He came back out. I heard him "thump" when he jumped off the chair onto the floor. He races in and out of the two rooms I give him access to sometimes. He "winds up" at the farthest side of one room and runs like hell to the opposite wall.

I need to go, since I slept so long. I did come to a conclusion, though. A large part of the chronic back pain I've been suffering from on the left side is related to the mattress. It's time to flip it over. A simple measure in fixing my back.

Have a great day, ladies. It's still fairly early where you are. It's 2 pm here. Still need to go take care of kitties but I'm going to wait a while longer.

Last edited by CherylB; 02-21-2014 at 11:10 AM..
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #1682
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
I am so fascinated by the fact that bunny and Cissy are doing well together...if not amigos at least in a tentative truce...perhaps a peaceful relationship is developing.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with chronic back pain. I've suffered from that in the past due to arthritis and can share with you the fact that severely limiting carbs has amazingly seemed to have blocked the pain I'd experienced for so many years. Since last Sept. when I started this VLC regimen I've not suffered any back or neck pain and astoundingly haven't been troubled with what had previously been a constant ache and discomfort in my hands. I don't know if such an approach would help everyone but I've been so grateful for the relief and, truth be told, I can hardly believe the vast improvement. In any case, I hope your mattress adjustment will help you as I know how debilitating constant pain can be.

Have a good weekend, Cheryl.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #1683
Big Yapper!

Thank you, Lola. Cissy and Cooper have come a long way. I love to watch them when Cissy's laying down in Cooper's path and Cooper stops to sniff the dog all over. I look forward to the day when Cissy grooms Cooper with her tongue. I know she will in time.

LC has always helped me with inflammation and pain, too. There's definitely something to it. It's great to hear you say how much it has helped you, Lola. That will help me to stay the course and look forward to those benefits as well.

I'm going to strip the bed, flip the mattress and wash all the bedding, then do a load of clothes. Back to work tomorrow. No idea what the weather will be like but it will be a miracle if it's nice. I can only recall one sunny, pretty day in the past two weeks. Maybe even longer.

Sleep well, my friends.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #1684
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
So cool about Cissy & Cooper.
Hope your back enjoys the 'flipped' mattress!
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #1685
Big Yapper!

I didn't end up flipping it today but I'll sleep in the middle where the mattress is like new. I so enjoyed my three days off together. I think I will try to set up my barn schedule for March so that I can have that experience every week. I guess it might be possible, now that I won't be doing every other Friday and Saturday to cover for the Manager who's in her last week.

Sleep well, everyone. I'm off this thing for tonight.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #1686
Big Yapper!

Well, I can't go to bed with 17,999 posts. One more won't hurt.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #1687
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep! Big Yapper!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #1688
Big Yapper!

I couldn't just let that number hang there like that. It would have kept me awake all night.

Mild today. Upper 40's with wind. Will have a bite to it at the farm so I will bring hats and a coat to be sure I have everything I need. Will feed that lady's cats after work cause I don't feel like going early and I need to take a shower anyway. Drinking coffee and putting that off, too.

Same me, different day. Have a good one!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #1689
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope your day at the farm was good. Looks like you're still getting cold weather. Hope it wasn't too hard to do your work.
Did they decide on someone to stay in their apartment at the farm yet?
Old 02-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #1690
Big Yapper!

Interviews appear to be going on right now for barn job positions and other things but I haven't been informed of anything. I will blab whatever I find out as soon as I know it.

Work went well. Three volunteers that worked hard and accomplished a lot. It was in the 40's but windy so it had a bite to the breeze. All horses got groomed. Happy how things went.

They all went home and I went into the farm house to sign out and leave a note for the manager. I go to my car and pull out of the driveway and something was very wrong. I thought I must have a chunk of solid ice and snow wedged under the car so I put it in reverse and see if I can get it unwedged that way. That didn't work so I got out and looked around the car. Right front tire was FLAT.

My first flat tire (that I can remember) in my entire life! I slowly backed up so I could pull back into the farm parking lot, then slowly backed it up so it would be facing the house and not the fence. Went inside, called AAA, texted my mom and the manager to tell them I was stuck at the farm, then waited for the guy to come. I was happy that it happened there and not along the road someplace in the dark.

My trunk was full of crap so I took that time to toss as much as I could into the back seat so the guy could get to the tire. I thought I had a regular tire in there but had never actually looked. Well, I have a donut tire! 13.5 years with the car and I discover something I never knew. I find that funny.

So the dude got the donut on after inflating to the proper pressure, placed the flat tire into my trunk so I could see if it could be repaired and I was back in the farm to text my mom and the manager and lock up the house again. It all was done in exactly one hour from the time I called for help.

I waited until after work to feed the cats I'm "sitting" for and so I was wondering if I'd ever make it to them tonight. Never having driven with a donut tire on, I didn't know if I could do more than just drive straight home. The paperwork I had to sign from the AAA guy said I couldn't drive over 45 mph or more than 50 miles on such a tire. I reset the odometer and kept my speed to 30 or less. I pull over and let people pass me if they want to go fast.

Cats were fine but they were completely out of both wet and dry food. Thank God I was able to make it. Will just drive back and forth to work (and to cats) until Tuesday and then I'll have an appointment scheduled for Wednesday at the mechanic's I trust for new tires to be put on. I hope I have enough money. I didn't see this coming and just spent $70 on supplements that I really didn't need before my next payday.

Bunny will go without a new cage for another month. One tire I bought last year. Maybe I can get away with just buying three tires. Wish me luck and say a prayer!

Last edited by CherylB; 02-22-2014 at 07:32 PM..
Old 02-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #1691
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, sorry that happened with the tire! Never fun... but blessed in many ways, with help & the location! Hope the weather stays good & you can drive on that doughnut safely. Maybe there will be a good 'used' tire available.
Great that things went so well at work! Amazing that you got efficient helpers.
Sleep tight!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #1692
Big Yapper!

Thanks, Deb! I was indeed blessed for it all to happen with the tire where and when it did. Just a mystery why it went flat so suddenly. There was no sign of trouble when I pulled into the parking lot and I was only there for 3 hours. It would have been a really long hour if I was waiting on the side of the road. Much nicer to be inside of a house!

Two more days of cat feeding and litter box scooping. Won't miss that part at all. I don't mind feeding but don't enjoy caring for animals that hide from you. I know people who have cats who hide from them, too. What's the point of having a pet if all you do is feed it and clean up after it? I know cats are different from dogs, but a pet should give you love and affection. Otherwise, they're just freeloaders, in my book. Boo hiss.

Cissy just got aggressive with Cooper! Out of the blue. No growling, just went from stillness to "RORORO!" I was right there watching as it happened. The bunny had his back to him so he didn't do anything, unless he misted him with a little urine. But I haven't seen (or smelled) him do any misting in a long time. I scolded Cissy immediately and she knew precisely what she did wrong, then I sent her packing. Opened the child gate and said "OUT!" Cooper wasn't freaked out too badly.

Another thing it could have been is there is a leftover bone from yesterday about 15 feet from where they both were. Maybe Cissy was guarding that worthless bone in her mind. She's chewing on it now. I will make sure no bones are on the ground when the dog and bunny are in here. The bone is nothing but bone. She already got everything off of and out of it so after that, she doesn't care about them anymore. First time for everything I guess. Lesson learned.

So, needless to say, I'm not entirely focused on this post anymore so I'll finish it and send it on its way. Have a lovely Sunday.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #1693
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Whew! Glad nobody got hurt on that disagreement.
Indoor cats that hide are kind of unusual... they're usually more affectionate, it seems. Ours is kind of wild. But when he's inside he is nice to us. Last night I brought him into the family room & groomed him. Molly loved that! So did he... they're being very sweet to each other, but kitty still won't walk on the floor when Molly's present. Stuck like glue to my lap.
Hope today turns out good for you.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #1694
Big Yapper!

Thank you, honey.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #1695
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
I'm so glad you got home okay!

And yes, our cats are very affectionate with us. The cats are hiding because they're not sure what's going on and they're fearful. I'm sure they aren't like that with their family.

Whoa Cheryl, you've had a lot going on in the last few months, especially with all the drama at the farm! Hang in there.

How neat that you have a bunny! We had a bunny pet for several years, Corky. He was a darling. We didn't have a dog at the time but we did have cats. He was a mini-lop, so probably smaller than yours.
Does your bunny do the leap-twist in the air-land across the room? Always makes me think of ski-jumping.

Off to work - have a good day everyone! I know I haven't been around for quite awhile but I do think of you all.

Last edited by pendragginp; 02-23-2014 at 10:51 AM..
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #1696
Big Yapper!

Hi, Plum! Nice to see you again. You must have been reading for a week, trying to catch up on all my comings and goings. Hope you're a speed reader. Yeah, it's been trying.

My bunny does partial "binkies" (as I understand it, that's what they're called.) If I had more free, open space, he might do the full ones that you're describing. He's adorable and I'm glad I adopted him. Aside from him trying to chew up the carpet in this one area where he likes to lay and rest, he's not a destructive bunny. He likes to eat paper, he picks at electrical wires but only to mess with them. He doesn't actually chew them. He likes to move things around.

I hope you're doing well, Plum. Stick around! Your timing is impeccable cause I'm just about to find out how the manager leaving is going to affect the farm and those barn workers who remain, and how the new employees will be working out (or not.) Should be quite a ride.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #1697
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cheryl
We're in the cold here too. But fortunate enough to have beautiful sunny weather too.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #1698
Big Yapper!

It was partly sunny here today too. We had a nice sunset. I can tell the days are getting longer. Wicked cold and windy again, though. Snow coming tonight but I haven't heard about any significant accumulation. Will be with us on and off all week, I guess. Time will tell.

Tires and the meeting with the Director tomorrow afternoon. The lady I cat-sat for gave me a card with a check for $75 tonight. I told her it was too much but she said it wasn't too much considering the peace of mind they had. So I'll put it toward the tires.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #1699
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yay! That'll be a great help toward the tire situation.
I guess because we've all been in & out of winter all winter long... it makes us impatient for winter to be over...
Tomorrow will be an eventful day for you... I'm so done with all this busy-ness! Looking forward to R & R.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #1700
Big Yapper!

Here's to R & R! *clink* (Cyber glasses)
Old 02-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #1701
Big Yapper!

O.M.G.

I had my meeting with the director today. It lasted almost 2 hours. It got cut a little short because we got interrupted. Ladies, I just might get offered that apartment, and not as the caretaker, but a live-in barn worker.

I'm very distracted with making "pro and con" lists and comparing what I spend per month vs what I'd spend living there and I have not been focusing on this post. But the long and short of it is this:

They found someone that they would like to hire as caretaker but he lives down the street and doesn't want to move in. So the apartment is open to a live-in barn worker or an instructor for lessons. I reminded her that a live-in person is going to make less money than a hired person so it needs to be someone like me (if not me then someone LIKE me) who has an income and doesn't work another job. She said I was nearly perfect for the apartment. She said "90% perfect."

She likes the way I communicate with her. She likes someone who is upfront and open. She doesn't mind that I have concerns and voice them. She prefers that to someone who doesn't say what's on their mind.

We talked about the specifics of living in the apartment. The apartment is rent free and everything is covered except electricity and cable tv. They expect to get 80 hours of work out of the person in the apartment, (per month) whether it's barn shifts or doing things with the tractor, schooling the horses, training volunteers, cleaning the house, etc. It's kind of open that way.

I didn't ask if I would make any money at all. At that moment, I didn't care because I could see the $$$ dancing in my head. I would save approximately $1275 a month. I'd still be buying gasoline, food, etc out of that money, but all my other expenses are already deducted from my monthly social security income check. (Meaning I deducted the expenses on a piece of paper and that's what I end up with.)

I can buy a new vehicle and still put around $700/month away into a savings account. Over 2 years, that will add up to $16,800. I will already own the truck that will be ready and waiting to haul a large 5th wheel. With that money, I can buy the trailer. If I am fed up with the farm, I leave with the rig of my dreams and four years of experience working with horses; the last two of those years working side-by-side with a freaking horse expert. What is THAT worth?

No, I won't be able to hear the water cascading over the dam through the woods. No, I won't have someone coming to plow my driveway and mow my lawn. I will likely often be the one doing the plowing and mowing (though often those things are done by volunteers and maybe the caretaker will do all of that.) No, I won't have an underground pet fence anymore so I will have to take Cisco out myself each time she goes. But I mentioned that maybe there might be a small area that I can put an electric fence into the ground and she kind of thought about it but we didn't linger on that subject. Maybe we can do that. I don't think it costs that much money.

I don't see how I can pass this up, ladies. I think if she asks, I'll ask more questions and get right down to the nitty gritty and things in writing, but I can't walk away from this. What an opportunity! If I get my health and weight in order, I literally can ride anytime I want to. I can work with the horses anytime I want to. I will have a donkey for an alarm clock!

My car is so old and falling apart. I can literally go and buy a next-to-new truck with all the bells and whistles. How fantastic is that? Cars are cool but I can't count the number of times I wished to God that I had a truck. If I can get the loan at a good interest rate and lowish monthly payments, I can afford it and still be able to put money away.

And if I don't make much money at the farm (over my 80 hour/month obligation), I can always do some pet-sitting on the side.

This is a gold mine of an opportunity. I'm saying "2 years" just as a reasonable ballpark figure of how long I might want to do this before saying "enough". But the longer I stay with it and put money away, the better off I will be when I leave. I can get hired at any horse facility there is.

All I need is for her to ask me and give me the chance. I think if she does that, I will take that leap.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #1702
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, sounds great Cheryl. will be praying that God's best happens!
Old 02-26-2014, 11:06 PM   #1703
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BellaRose
Happy for you..

Hope you get it!

Can I be the 'little voice" telling you....
You get the job..you won't be driving much for
awhile..wait awhile for the truck to make sure
you like the job (maybe more work then you think).
Know you impulse buy..you don't want to go into
debt over your head.

I think it will be wonderful for you but just take
sometime for everything to come together. Know
you'll do a great job. Glad your fighting for it.
Even thro you get rent free, you still should get
some pay. Ask for it. You'll be working hard.

Hope you don't mind me speaking up..read your
posts and always root for you. Just want you
to be safe and happy and not sorry that you went
to fast with spending your money.

Good Luck!
BellaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:54 AM   #1704
Big Yapper!

I hear you. Trust me, I am of two minds. I love my current duplex. It's like having my own house, almost. The couple who live upstairs have a set of stairs that lead out their front door and they run directly behind my bedroom. When they BBQ, that's right outside my bedroom window, too. I hear whenever they are scraping the ice off their sidewalk, etc. When they turn on their entry light early in the morning (she's a school teacher), if I happen to wake from the noise, I find it hard to get back to sleep. There's no curtain on that window but there is a blind. (The curtains, like much of the furniture in this rental are part of the rent. She never had a curtain on that window cause her armoire was there.)

Twenty hours of work per week at the farm is a lot and it will be tough. I need to find out what qualifies as an hour of work there and what doesn't. For instance, if moving the manure from the pit out to the piles in the back field doesn't qualify, then I won't be voluntarily doing it. YKWIM? I won't work myself into the ground the way the Manager did. I'll just be a "live in barn worker." A much different title.

If I take this step, it won't be taken lightly. If I give up this apartment (with the glorious sunrises that fill up the den next to my bedroom, with the walls colored peach), it will be a very big deal. I won't find another place like this again. I looked for a very long time and never found anything even close to this. There's at least an acre of land, all enclosed by an underground pet fence. But to be fair, I will have glorious sunsets at the farm. And fields for Cissy to run in, as long as I'm with her.

It's on a busy road, not far from the main street that runs through my fairly small town, and there is the fire house right across from the house. There are schools and industrial complexes up the road so we get a lot of traffic here. I've grown pretty accustomed to the street noise and the occasional sirens and flashing lights but I moved here from the quietest neighborhood you could imagine. I never thought I'd adjust to all the noise.

I love feeding the birds. At the farm, it would probably not be allowed because if it drew rodents, they would take up residence in the barn and other farm buildings and breed like wildfire. And if I put the feeder out in a little remote corner that I could set up as my own little hideaway, it might draw bear. So, feeding the birds might have to be a thing of the past.

However, the birds come and nest in the barn and horse stalls! I can enjoy them without having to feed them. And flocks of geese regularly do fly-overs there (here too, cause of the pond behind our woods in the back.)

The manager always complained about people slamming the front door when they came in or went out of the house. I never needed to slam it unless I was the last one out and had to lock it, because once the knob was turned, the handle couldn't be. But there are two bedrooms up there and one is by the street. That would be my choice for my bedroom.

The manager also said the walls were paper thin when it came to general noises, voices, etc. There is a board room under the front bedroom. If there is a board meeting or something, I'd have to get used to turning up the volume on my TV or something, or go grocery shopping at those times. I'd plan things out a little better, to make sure I had more time alone there than if I didn't take that extra time to plan.

I know how hard the work is. I see everything that gets done there and many of those things I've done myself. That's why I know I have to get this weight off once and for all and to take much better care of my health.

But I think the crappiest part of this whole deal will be working the 20 hours a week, rain or shine. Outdoor jobs are great, when it's not raining. The more hours you work, the more times you are going to be outside on a day that isn't so nice. It's just the roll of the dice.

If I do this, I will post my schedule for that week (in an attractive way) on the downstairs door; much like someone would post their hours of operation. I would make it understood (before I took the job and moved in) that since I'm not the caretaker or the manager, I'm not available just because I'm home. I want my off time to be just that. (I can make a little placard type of thing that says "My schedule this week" on one side and you flip it over and it would be there for anyone to check if they need to contact me or ask me to help them with something.)

I will tell them that it has to be a clearly drawn line or I will burn out just the way the manager did. And nobody wants another burn out and another situation where they are moving out under bad circumstances. That's not good for anyone concerned. And I hate moving. Most likely, if I move into this farm apartment, my next move will be out of state. My sister and her husband will be living near their children and grandchildren pretty soon.

If I buy a truck and end up quitting the job, I'll probably end up LIVING in that truck. But I've had this car for almost 14 years. In July, it will be our anniversary. There are a ton of little things wrong with it, as well as larger things like oil leaks. If I want to wash my windshield of muck from the slushy, snowy streets of winter, I have to throw a snowball at it and turn the wipers on. then I have to hope that the driver's side wiper doesn't over-shoot the windshield and get stuck on the driver's side door and get all torqued like it's done a couple of times. I could go on but you get the picture.

The only way I'll ever be able to afford another newish car is if I move into this farm apartment. Paying the rent I pay where I'm living, it simply isn't possible without working a full-time job, and I don't want that. Twenty hours will be my maximum and they will know that up front. (Unless there is a payday involved.)

What it all boils down to is:

1- Can I trade my privacy and minor upstairs neighbor annoyances for a busy therapeutic riding center with lots of people coming and going all day and sometimes in the evening (that's when board meetings are.)

2- Can I handle the workload. Am I willing to become physically fit.

3- Can I adopt an attitude of gratitude and see what a blessing I've been given, and learn to let the things that normally light my fuse roll off my back.

4- Can I get used to taking Cisco out to go potty in the weather. (No safe fenced area for her just yet.)

5- Can I discipline myself to really put as much money away as I can and not start buying things that I don't really need.

These are the questions I must ask the Lord, and try to hear His answer.

Last edited by CherylB; 02-27-2014 at 04:58 AM..
Old 02-27-2014, 06:21 AM   #1705
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Such exciting possibilities, Cheryl. It's good you are trying to think things through so thoroughly. Being able to save money for a new car seems to me a great incentive. How many hours are you working at the farm right now? What is the maximum number you are allowed to work within the disability rules? It strikes me that having to walk Cissy, while it might often be inconvenient, would be helpful in your quest to lose weight and improve your health. It all sounds so intriguing but I know there is an awful lot to think about in terms of pros and cons. Still, so exciting.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:09 AM   #1706
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
Wow Cheryl! I've been coming back to see how your meeting went - it's good to see that they appreciate you!

Yes, I agree with you that you will think realistically about what a move would mean for you. I know personally I would have a hard time with living 'over the store' so to speak - I would feel I never left work. But then if I could be with horses all the time it might be worth it!

I agree too with the cautions people have posted - not committing to new financial responsibilities until you have tried this out and know that it's a good fit for you; and also how much you're allowed to work with your disability. But how great if this works out! And as I said, how great to know that you are seriously being considered and that they value what you bring! You go, sister friend!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #1707
Big Yapper!

Hi, ladies. As far as the disability goes, that's the beauty of this. I'm only limited in how much money I can make each month, and that is a thousand dollars or a little less. So my income will go down but my liquid assets will go up. I work four pm barn shifts each week right now. It was 3 hours per shift before they cut it back to 2.5 to try to save money. Before, if it was a horrible weather day and/or I didn't have much help or had helpers who were very green that required one-to-one training, I would put in for the extra time it took. So in the margin on the time sheet, if you went over 3 hours, you had to write why but they would pay you.

Now that they cut back, it still sometimes takes 3 hours to do the shift but I just log in a half hour of volunteer time. So technically I work 12 hours a week. I will be expected to work 8 more hours than I am now, and it won't necessarily be in the barn.

If I leave this apartment that I love, I won't be changing my mind and moving out of the farm apartment. I will be looking at it like a contract for 2 years, or a marriage that comes with an easy do-it-yourself divorce kit at the 2 year mark (with the option to stay longer if I want.) So buying a newer car or a truck won't be an issue. I will be sticking it out.

In a way, I hope they don't offer it to me. That way, I won't have to make that choice and I can just keep living here. I can live comfortably on what I earn from working there and I still have access to the horses whenever I want. And then I can come back home and be all alone in my comfy cocoon.

If I move into the farm apartment, it will be a growth experience and it will look GREAT on a resume. I'll get out of it what I put into it. It's an opportunity, not just a place to live and work.

I agree that having to take Cissy out myself will probably be a good thing for me. And maybe living in an apartment where there is a lot of goings on downstairs will prompt me to not spend so much time at home, lazing around. That too would be good for me. I'll get out and about. Maybe even see my sisters and mother more often.

I know the hours when the most activity is going on so I can plan on my down-time hours happening when things are quiet and I have the place to myself. I can make it work. I know in my heart that I can, but I might have to take up yoga or practice reading the Bible aloud every morning and night. It will smooth off many of my rough edges, living there. It will be a little tough to handle at times, but I'll be all the stronger for it. And I'll have something cash-wise to start over with wherever I end up next.

I don't see anything but a win-win here.

I noticed something interesting in the last hour. My left middle finger has a trigger! That's not good. I clenched my fist and went to open my hand again and the knuckle hesitated to let my finger stretch out. I think that's called a trigger finger. I'll have to look that up. Perfect timing on that one, eh?

Last edited by CherylB; 02-27-2014 at 07:40 AM..
Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #1708
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Wow!!! What an amazing opportunity!! I hope you have peace about whatever you decide...but it's pretty exciting and would be hard to pass up! You certainly wouldn't need a gym membership! I like lifestyle activity so much better anyway! How many hours a week are you working now? It feels like you're already doing 20/week on average? When the weather is bad, couldn't you do some of the indoor options? Cleaning etc? You are right to make things clear and up front and I hope it'll all work out. I'll be praying that they won't offer it to you if it's not the right move...it's tough to turn something like that down, and I like clear direction from The Lord. Keep us posted!!
julieboolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #1709
Big Yapper!

Thanks, Julie! I appreciate the prayers.

I work four pm barn shifts each week right now. It was 3 hours per shift before they cut it back to 2.5 to try to save money. Before, if it was a horrible weather day and/or I didn't have much help or had helpers who were very green that required one-to-one training, I would put in for the extra time it took. So in the margin on the time sheet, if you went over 3 hours, you had to write why but they would pay you.

Now that they cut back, it still sometimes takes 3 hours to do the shift but I just log in a half hour of volunteer time. So technically I work 12 hours a week. I will be expected to work 8 more hours than I am now, and it won't necessarily be in the barn.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #1710
Big Yapper!

Hello, ladies. Sorry I am neglecting my journal. I write much more on the horse thread these days. Today was the day my manager moved out. She's cramming her things into the second bedroom of the condo that she owns and rents out to some friend of hers and he didn't put much effort into making room for her to return. She must feel homeless right now. I'll bet she's thinking she shouldn't have resigned. I hate second-guessing yourself. I know that's what she's thinking. I feel for her.

I would like to help her but her german shepard is aggressive, loud and not a dog I can invite into my home. My landlady would send me to the curb in a heartbeat. So, this is just something she needs to work out on her own. She's flying solo.

Yummy! I just made some asparagus in the toaster oven with EVOO, some fresh lemon, some minced garlic (from a jar), lots of salt and a little pepper. Tossed it all up on the pan after cutting it into about 3" sections. Cooked at 350 for 30 minutes and it came out great. Only thing is I shouldn't have cooked the thickest parts. I thought they were young and skinny enough that they would be tender but they were "fibrous." I ate 'em anyway.

Well, that's all I have for tonight. If you want more, there's always the horsey thread. It's time to take my pills and begin my "cool down" for the night. I'm off tomorrow. Sister's birthday party at the typical place: Pizza restaurant. Should be lightly snowing and a good time for all.

Sleep tight, my friends.