Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #1501
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Cooper's home! I saw him at the farm and just fell in love. I picked him up from his cage and he was just totally limp and relaxed. He never flinched even once while I held him or went to put him back. Such a trusting rabbit! I prayed that I will do nothing that will ever cause him to change.

I put Cisco in the bathroom and then I brought the bunny in his cage inside and set him down on top of my dresser. I brought in his bag of bedding and his corner "bunny litter pan" and then I let the dog out. She sniffed the bag of bedding, then the litter pan, then the bunny cage. Its sides are solid on the bottom 1/3rd so she can't see the bunny unless she gets up on her hind legs or is on the bed.

She is way too interested in the bunny. When she got up on the bed and saw that she could stare at the rabbit from that height, she looked like she'd spotted a squirrel and was going to give chase at any second. "Just move a tiny little bit. Come on. I dare you." I touched her to try and snap her out of it but she never lost that focus. I won't be leaving the bedroom door open when I'm away at work. They will need time to get acquainted.

Cooper saw Cisco and immediately gave one loud THUMP. That had to have been a warning. I'm glad little bun will stand up for himself when he needs to. I love him already. I can't wait to hold him and get to know him, but that's exactly what I'm going to do. I can wait until he's more relaxed and open to being touched and held.

Work was really easy today. I actually had FIVE people and one of them lives pretty far away, so when the freezing rain started to happen (just a steady mist), she said she was going to go home. Then after the other mother/daughter team cleaned their paddocks, dumped all the paddock waters and turned in all the horses, they said that they were going to go home too.

When I'm having a really crappy day and complaining about the volunteers, I'm going to refer back to this day and remember how wonderful it can be. I even had the two twin boys with me and they picked the hooves of the run-in guys and groomed their wet necks, faces and manes, then helped me pass the grain. One of the boys agreed to climb the ladder and throw hay down for me to stack. We threw 13 bales.

So then I put Cooper and his supplies into the car and drove home very carefully. And that's all she wrote! ( ) Cooper is now eating his hay and beginning to relax a bit. I love having the smell of hay in my bedroom. How sick am I?
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #1502
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Relaxed easy day at work and a new bunny? Great day!! Enjoy your new baby!
julieboolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #1503
Big Yapper!

So far, so good! Cisco is adjusting to having the bunny here and whenever she's showing a little too much interest, I do what Caesar Milan says to do and use your hand to make a pretend "bite" on the dog to snap him/her out of it. It works very well and it teaches them right in the moment that what they're doing isn't acceptable.

Bunny is thirsty all through the night. It takes him about 2 full minutes of licking that ball at the bottom of the bottle for him to get enough water. I might get a different kind of waterer that has a little bowl of water at the bottom so it's quieter. KWIM? Where the bottle is still upturned but just feeds down into a bowl. He might get more water that way, too.

His coat is so dense and he's so soft. I think he feels like mink or velvet.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #1504
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Awww Cheryl, I'm so glad you got Cooper !! Sounds so adorable ! We had rabbits when I was a kid, and we trained them to a litter box ( super easy to train - they just seem to KNOW ) . We were able to let them hop all around the house, and at night they were in the bathroom with the door closed. It was so much fun.
We also had a fenced backyard and they would play out there. Our dog was used to them !

Cissy sounds interested, but I hope she will grow to love Cooper ~ wouldn't that be awesome ?

Work was great ?? So glad to hear it ! I'm struggling with things at work and trying to decide whether to change jobs. Wish I could get out of nursing for a while and re-boot.... you know ?

Have a wonderful day !

ATTITUDE is the difference between an ordeal and an ADVENTURE !!
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #1505
Big Yapper!

I do indeed know what you mean by "reboot." Nursing is such a difficult way to make a living. I fear for young people when I hear that they are going to go into nursing school. I want to warn them and at least tell them to get a job as a nurses' aid before deciding on that career field. I was never an aid and so I had nothing to go by except my sister being a nurse and loving it so much.

Cissy's relaxing around the bunny. I am limiting the amount of time she can be up on the bed, which gives her an eye-level view of the rabbit who is on the dresser. I am going to close off the bedroom to keep her out while I'm at work. Speaking of work, time to go and get ready. Today is going to be quite different from yesterday. No volunteers and rainy, turning to flash-frozen everything overnight.

Enjoy your time off! You earned it. Oh! And this bunny has a little corner pet litter box for when he's hopping around the house. In his cage, he uses one corner.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #1506
Blabbermouth!!!

cool ! Hope your day goes ok !
Old 01-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #1507
Big Yapper!

UGH! I didn't have to wait long to have to look back on yesterday to remind me how good things can be. Today sucked big-time. No volunteers, cold, wet, muddy, all horses inside cause the paddocks were so muddy from the "heat wave" we had the past 36 hours, and Cowboy's stall had been flooded from the massive snow melt-off plus rainfall. He was moved to the vacant stall beside Frodo, but those two stalls share a run-in so when one horse's stall door is open, the others needs to be closed. Run in is too small for two full sized horses.

So when I got there, Frodo was closed in. I knew she had left him closed in since 12:30, from her note. It was 2:30 when I got there so I went right up and closed Cowboy in and let Frodo out. I did that twice more before I left at 6pm. I left Frodo closed in again cause Cowboy really was enjoying the whole run-in idea. He has none when he's in the barn.

So since his stall in the barn was flooded, I was asked to finish cleaning out the wet bedding and then to spread some "dirty bedding" from another stall to soak up the rest of the wetness. Well, since all the horses were in, I looked at the bedding in Daphne's and Red's stall and their bedding didn't look dirty to me. Sure, there were manure piles but if I shoveled the bedding from their stall into Cowboys stall, only to have to add fresh, clean bedding from a bag to replace it, I was just wasting my energy. I opted for using a half bag of fresh bedding.

I spread it all out and stirred it around, then allowed it to soak while I went and mucked all 7 stalls and the mini's area. When I came back to the barn and looked at the bedding in Cowboy's stall, I started stirring it around and decided that it could sit there and dry out, then we could still use it in a stall after this next cold snap leaves us. By then it will have frozen, thawed and finally dried out. Now all I have to do is convince my manager of that. The director is already onboard.

The director is going to order the plans to make those slowfeeders I turned her onto! She's going to get the materials and have one feeder made, then use it as a test feeder in the mini's area. I can't tell you how happy that makes me! They will be so thrilled with how these things work and we will save so much time, energy and money. I am tickled pink.

Back to my day. I had no helpers so when the director came, she came to finish getting the grain for pm set up. After she did that (she was bringing the grain with her), she went and fed all the horses. I was still mucking out the stalls and then I started to remove the turn-out sheets from the run-in horses to apply their winters, then to apply the turn-outs over top of those. I had already topped all the large water buckets in the run-ins as well as the stall buckets in those five areas. That way when the night check gets done by the manager later, there will be plenty of water for topping off the stall buckets.

The director did the winters on Calvin and Lola, but I discovered just when checking to see if the belly straps were crossed that the winters she put on them were the wrong ones. Off all four sheets came and the winters got changed and turn-outs put back on. All's well that ends well. Their winters are the only ones with names on them, but she missed it. Oh well. At least I caught it.

The winters for the barn guys (which includes Cowboy, even though he wasn't in the barn today) were all hanging in the basement but she left me a note saying she didn't know if they'd need to be thrown into the drier before applying them tonight. They were damp so each time I went into the house for something, I put one coat in and turned it on to dry, then headed back out to do more crap. We only have a standard sized drier. OMG.

I feel good about what I did cause everyone has their right coat on, it's as dry as could be, their stalls were mucked and organized as best as I could get it, and they all had lots of hay. I scratched Daphne's itchy parts and gave each horse some snuggle time. I gave Ellen the goat her coat and a few rubs and pats, and she wagged her tail when she saw me. I wish I could have spent more time with her.

Swept out the barn, set up the hay cart for night check, snagged some scrap hay off the floor for my bunny Cooper, then went and signed out and just left. I didn't have any energy to go in and say goodbye and maybe get caught up in a conversation. I texted the director later to thank her for helping me.

That's it. I bought the bunny some grain, some alfalfa cubes (he has no interest in those so they're going back to the store), a banana, some leafy greens and some baby carrots. He snarfed that banana piece like it was nothing! I walked away after putting a small section of it in his bowl. Left the room, turned around, came back and it was hoovered! He ate a carrot too. I didn't give him lettuce. Tomorrow I will.

So, that was my day. I didn't do any paddocks, just stalls. They weren't out long cause everything was so muddy. One more day, then three off.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #1508
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Ah, too bad the weather is messing with you. We're going to have another warm-up later this week. Kind of hard to explain to those who don't deal with snow on a regular basis that 'warm weather' is undesirable.

Rest well
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #1509
Big Yapper!

I know it. Crazy the way things ebb and flow. Almost all the snow we had is gone, again. Just the plow piles remain. The rest is now mud and ice ponds. Just another day in the cold north! Stay tuned for more fun and games.

I had a great experience with Cooper just a bit ago. I put Cisco in the bathroom so it could just be him and I and I put the corner potty thing on the end of my bed. Then I pulled the covers over so the sheets were protected and he almost knew before I did all that that I was about to do something with him.

I opened his gate and he came out part way. I slowly and gently picked him up and set him on the bed. He immediately hopped into his potty thing, like it was a familiar, safe place to be. He'd hop out and around but would use that potty thing as his touch stone. He went so far as to hop up on top of me as I laid on my side! How adorable he is! He didn't hop off behind me, he'd hop up, look around and then hop back down toward the potty thing.

He didn't have any accidents or even drop a single loose little pellet, as rabbits sometimes do. I gave him lots of snuggles and then I put him back in his cage. It was a great first run. Then I let Cissy out of the bathroom and now we're heading for bed.

One more day of work, then three of play. Although the manure pit is really full right now and with the mud, we can't empty it to the back field. I may have to sacrifice an afternoon to manure removal if the weather permits. I have yet to use my new skills with the tractor. I don't want to forget how to work it.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #1510
Big Yapper!!!!

Hope tomorrow goes better!! At least you get the full range, some good, some bad. Cute play time with your bunny. Well trained too! Enjoy your furbabies.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #1511
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So glad its going so well with bunny.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #1512
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
Your bunny sounds so cute. I had one when I was younger. He was big too. I'm getting Chloe a little pet. Just don't know what yet. It has to be something small and not too dirty. Ya know? I have to think on it.
Have fun with your pets! ��
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #1513
Big Yapper!

Hi, ladies. Sorry I've been MIA. Just busy and on other threads. Yesterday was frigid but I got through it at the farm. Today I got a call saying our hours will be cut back cause of finances. I got a raise a while back but now I'll be shy 10 hours a month. Go figure. So I won't be going in at 2:30 anymore. If they only want the basic needs of the horses met, I can do that. But it will mean that the paddocks go undone, if something needs to be neglected. Especially if there are no or few volunteers that day.

They cut the morning hours, too. They only cut them by a half hour, but what that says is "don't even think about going over that amount of time, the way you sometimes do now." It's the hours we are allowed and then the rest will be logged as volunteer time. It's nuts.

Oh, well. Can't fight City Hall, as they say. At least I have a really nice bunny!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #1514
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
So glad things are working out well with Cooper. Sounds like it will turn out to be a wonderful friendship. One thing I know about rabbits is that they feel comforted and secure being covered and held (rather than being petted). Don't want to tell you right now how I know that but perhaps someday I will. Anyway, enjoy your time with your new buddy.

P.S. Glad your slow feeder plan may be finally finding acceptance. Good work, Cheryl.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #1515
Blabbermouth!!!

sorry your hours are being cut ... will you look for another part time job ( that's not so physical ) to fill in the hours/pay ?

I love you having the bunny for some cuddly company !
Old 01-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #1516
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry your hours got cut. But it will probably open new doors for you.

Enjoy your pets!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #1517
Big Yapper!

I just got an email from the Director at the farm. They have pushed back the staff meeting yet another month. Can you believe that? I can't. She can and does whatever she deems fit to do with no oversight. It's a bad set-up.

I don't know what I'll do about making up the lost money. I will just keep my eyes and ears open and see what presents itself. And I will trust that God will provide as He always does. But for the immediate future, I need to go back to making a monthly budget and sticking to it like glue.

The bunny is starting to exhibit signs of "ownership" of me. Well, of my arm, that is. He's not fixed so I think I might need to see what it costs to get him altered. I read that can sometimes happen and I'd rather not be seen that way by him. Maybe I need to hold him more and let him hop around freely less.

My single-nostril cold (got it yesterday) is getting better so thankfully, it doesn't look like it will spread. It's very weird and I'll be glad when it leaves. It was just the sort of "close call" I needed in order for me to get back into the habit of using those alcohol-based sanitizers after being in public places. You just never know what's lurking on things like gas pump handles, shopping carts, counters, etc. Best to practice touching as few things as possible. When I can, I open doors with my arm and not my hand.

That's all that's happening here today. I'm just on LCF for the first time of the day, which is very late for me. I just didn't have much to talk about so I figured I might have more to say later on. Turns out, I did.

Have a lovely evening, everyone.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #1518
Senior LCF Member

Glad you're bonding with bunny and hoping he doesn't get too fixated on your arm.

As you say, perhaps the cutbacks at the farm will allow you to explore new opportunities, new paths. There is truth in the old saying 'when one door closes, another one opens'; at least that's seemed to happen in my own life.

Take care, dear Cheryl, and enjoy the evening with your growing family. Speaking of that family, what did you decide about heating the fish bowl? Are rabbits strictly vegetarian or do they ever eat fish?
Old 01-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #1519
Blabbermouth!!!

Bunny is feeling more comfortable huh ? lol !

Glad you were off today, rest up .

Can't wait to see what God has in store for you job wise !
Old 01-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #1520
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was thinking about job possibilities... we have a 'retired nurse' coming on Saturday to do some tests (blood & EKG) for the life insurance company (we're changing companies). Sounds like a easy-going 'part-time' job.

Good plan to budget... necessities only thru this 'cut-back' time.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #1521
Big Yapper!

Lola, I had to giggle when reading your question about the fish bowl heater and if rabbits eat fish. Are you asking in case I accidently cook him? Sorry. Feeling somewhat twisted at the moment. I still want to buy the fish the reptile heater but I don't know if I will do it this month. The rabbit cage really is a pile. Every time I go to move it, I see what the girl was saying about it. It's being held together with a wing and a prayer.

I agree about one door opening when another is closed. I need to use this as fuel. Things like this act as wake-up calls for me, like nothing else can. Sometimes it's exactly what I need to shake me up and make me see that I need to prepare myself for whatever new opportunities may happen by. This year is my year. It has to be. I've screwed around long enough.

Debby, thanks for emailing me the information on the Xterra. I will look it over but now that seems farther away than it did when I was dreaming about it. I'll keep my old jalopy going, God willing. I will be thrilled to have a vehicle that starts when I turn the key and moves forward or backward when I ask it to.

Deb, I've searched all over, for ways I can still be a nurse without losing my mind. The fact is, I haven't worked in Acute Care since the summer of 2006 and I haven't worked as a nurse PERIOD since December of '08. I'm turning 52 this year. Contrary to what the going notion is, there really isn't any nursing shortage.

Once I went to do flu shot clinics, until I discovered all that they expected that one nurse to do. Everything! From taking the patients information and getting allergy info, taking their payments, giving them the shot, and then balancing the books before you left for the night. I was shocked. I said, "I was looking to do this because I'm looking for a low-stress job!" I basically told them to take all the documentation and personal information I'd faxed to them and shred them.

I've even posted an ad on Craigslist, trying to start my own low-key business of just going once or twice a week to check on people's elderly parents who might be on the verge of not quite making it on their own without a little supervision. I said I'd do vital sign checks, check blood sugars, fill pill dispensers and order more drugs, take them to the store and accompany them as they shopped, etc. I thought it was going to fly but I only got one response and it was from a man who wanted cleansing enemas. (Detox-type. He had been having high colonics and wanted a cheaper alternative. I told him I knew nothing of those.)

I said I'd do it but he'd have to order the supplies. Then it became apparent that this man was going to cling onto me (much like the rabbit and my arm) and I eventually had to tell him (REPEATEDLY) that I wasn't interested in doing it, that it wasn't what I set out to do by posting the ad, that no one else responded, that I couldn't make a living doing that for him, and told him he should post an ad of his own. He wanted to stay friends and meet somewhere. I had to just stop writing him back because he was one of those people who wasn't going to take no for an answer.

I have to face facts. I'm getting older and I am not the young attractive nurse I used to be. Our world is geared toward the young and the beautiful. If I want to get the most out of the rest of my life, I'm going to have to raise the bar for myself. I can't change the world and how it works, but I can change me. I have to grow up and face the music. Time is passing me by. As old as I feel right now, this is the youngest I will ever be again! Take a big bite of THAT and see how well it goes down. Chew all you want. It's still going to choke you.

Every day that God gives me life and air in my lungs, I have another opportunity to do something to make myself better than I was yesterday. And every day I get up and do the exact same things as I've done, which has gotten me to the exact same spot that I'm in. I don't talk about what I eat or drink because it's embarrassing. I don't eat meals, I just graze. And the job at the farm had made that something I could afford to do. Now I have to face reality and live within a tighter budget. Wake-up call!

I just have a lot of thinking to do. But more than that, I have a lot of DOING to do. I know what to do, I know when to do it. I just have to stand up and do it.

Last edited by CherylB; 01-09-2014 at 06:56 PM..
Old 01-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #1522
Big Yapper!

Well, even Vodka has it's purpose. I just got up the nerve to hit "reply" to that latest email the director sent us. I said, "Do you mind if I ask why the meeting is being postponed? This is the second month in a row you've changed the meeting to the following month. Would be nice to know why."

Someone has to speak up. I've never had a problem being that someone.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #1523
Big Yapper!!!!

Well, sounds like this year will be full of changes for you! The cut hours may be better, I know you were taking on more there than you wanted to initially. I'm shocked you can't find a home healthcare gig there? There are loads of agencies, and private opportunities out here. We've got a retired RN helping my mom, and you'd be a lifesaver to many families out here. Pays not fabulous, $15/hr, but it adds up. Some people are looking for someone who can stay overnight, just in case the person wakes up and needs something-which is rare. Agencies charge $200 a night! Keep looking, that would be a great opportunity . Light housekeeping (laundry, meal prep), help with mobility, etc...lots of need out there.

Even though you're feeling "old", you really aren't! You've got a good 40+ years ahead of you, so how do you see them going? You've got the freedom, intelligence and hutzpa to make it happen...whatever that may be! Go get it-the life you want!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #1524
Senior LCF Member

I tend to agree with julie re: part-time elder care. I know that many individuals and families have a great need for assistance in this area. A friend of mine, lacking your RN qualifications, does this a few hours a day a few days a week. She has helped care for a few elderly woman by giving their meds, taking them to shops and on outings, making lunches, very light housekeeping (I think she took care of some laundry and dishes for one of the women) and providing some companionship and monitoring. She got her jobs through friendship and word of mouth rather than through an agency.

I was teasing you about the bunny eating your fish because your situation reminded me of having had a cat who obsessively watched the fish in my aquarium and another cat who obsessed about our finches whose cage hung in our window. The cat would go outdoors and get on the outside window ledge where she sat staring and seemingly mesmerized; as the finches fluttered to and fro the cats head would move to and fro in concert. Mmmm...mighty good eating!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #1525
Big Yapper!

Lola, now I understand! No, the bunny has no interest in the fish, but the dog sure has an interest in the bunny. I am working on desensitizing her but it might take close to forever to override her instinct to chase and snag small furry things. I won't ever let the bunny out of its cage while the dog is in the room.

Julie, no one knows how much time they have left on this earth, but thanks for the encouragement. And it is only the "paid" hours that got cut. The work still has to get done. So work faster or hope you have volunteers to help you. Anything over 2.5 hours is going to have to be volunteer time.

Home health nursing is a nightmare all its own. I did hospice and as an RN, you had to also be Case Manager. What I had tried to create was a job where I was my own boss, made my own rules as to what I would do on a visit, and that sort of thing. I guess I'll have to contact some agencies and see what I would be offered as far as shifts. I am on disability and can only earn under a certain amount without jeopardizing that.

I signed onto facebook last night and I'd missed a day or two which is very rare. There were some pics the morning barn girl took of Lola and Calvin. It made me remember why I'm there. I will do the best I can and see how things develop.

I got a reply from my email to the director, asking her why she has postponed the meeting for the second month in a row. Here's what she wrote:

HI Cheryl, this month I have been asked to cut expenses. I am happy to go over anything that needs to be addressed. Everyone is doing their best to have (blank) succeed. Thank you for keeping in touch, C.

In other words, we don't need your input so we cancelled the meeting. When it behooves us, we'll call another one. It's funny how this only started when she got a clear indication that I was going to bring a list of things to talk about to our December meeting. So much for being open with her. I guess she's not all she pretends to be.

It's snowing lightly today. It will warm up overnight rather than temps falling and then Saturday/Sunday will be very rainy with flooding. I work both of those afternoons.

Thank you, ladies. I appreciate your support and don't want to make it sound like I'm shooting down your ideas. I've just been down these roads a time or two. I need some new roads. I need to pave them myself, at least until I can find one already waiting for me. I just need to get from here to there, and that part is entirely up to me. This I know.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #1526
Big Yapper!

My day was okay yesterday. It felt colder than the temperature suggested it was, and with the wind, I had to wear more clothing than I anticipated. The horses were going nuts (some of them), racing around in the muddy paddock and getting in each other's faces. It was a bit out of hand for a while. And cleaning them up in order to put their winter sheets on for the night was a real chore. I had helpers who did all the paddocks and the barn waters, so that was wonderful. It's amazing how much work there is still left to do.

I exercised the horses in the arena but some were only interested in rolling and getting dirtier. I felt good just giving them the opportunity to run or roll. It's exhausting trying to free lunge horses that really don't want to move. It's a workout for someone in my condition.

Back to work today for day number 3 of 4. Rose, I don't want to work more days so even if shifts open up, I don't want them. Four days a week is all I care to work. I'd be happier with three days but now that they've cut back the paid hours for each individual shift, that would make my job insufficient as far as meeting my financial needs.

What I'm considering (though very carefully) is going to mornings if that girl leaves. At least in the morning I will never cross paths with the Director and there is only one morning (well, in the past that's how it's been) for Program riding sessions. More of the work is done in the stalls so I'd be out of the elements more. I realize mucking stalls in the morning is a lot more work than cleaning paddocks (usually) but I don't mind mucking them.

I just think the drama will be far less if I go to mornings. I hate mornings but another positive of working mornings is I'm up and out and have the rest of my day to maybe even go to the gym or do something else. Working afternoons, I sleep until noon, go to work, come home and eat/lay around/then go back to sleep.

But I'm just playing out scenarios in my head. The girl hasn't given her notice and I know nothing of what is going to come out of her hunting around for other situations. I do know that she went to the farm where the other barn girl ended up shifting over to.

I know even more about the farm's financial woes after last night and we are in very serious trouble. Don't know how we ended up here but here we are. I fear for the animals and what will happen to them if the farm collapses and the whole thing implodes. God, I wish I had a crystal ball.

So, getting back to the racing horses yesterday. They were fine but I brought the hay cart up to the run-ins and was about to pass the dinner hay. I don't think that was what brought it on cause Cowboy was already causing trouble and biting Charmed. But all of a sudden, Cowboy starts racing the perimeter of his very muddy paddock, like it was an arena. And it goes up quite an incline so he was racing uphill and downhill at a full canter. Almost a gallop.

He'd come down at the bottom of the hill and race back and forth, nearly knocking Frodo and Charmed over in the process. I stood there and watched this, assessing the situation. I then decided to open Charmed's gate so he could come into his run-in. He beat a hasty retreat into his stall. I relatched the fence and went to look at him, mainly to see if Cowboy had taken a chunk out of his @$$. Charmed was pawing the ground in his stall, still so worked up. He acted like he was going to charge me at one point and I just got the hell out of there so he could settle down.

Then I let Frodo in the same way. Frodo was pawing the ground and rearing and bucking inside his run-in, which just isn't large enough for that kind of behavior. I'm standing there IN his run-in, having just fastened the ribbon fence back in place. Cowboy is standing right there next to me, on the other side. I can't get out either way without passing an agitated horse. I decide slipping into the paddock beside Cowboy and slipping into Calvin's run in was the best option. It worked and I lived to tell the tale.

So with the other two horses removed, Cowboy settled down. I left him out there so he could finish whatever the hell he had within him. I wasn't about to lead him by his halter to the barn until he was back to his usual self, but I also wanted to give each of them a chance to run it off in the arena. So I free lunged all but two horses. I had the volunteers hand walk Red and Daphne, who were the only ones that they could safely walk.

OMG, ladies. After all that, Cowboy wouldn't do more than a half-hearted trot. He rolled and that was all he really wanted to do. Maybe his racing around the paddock was all he needed. He could have so easily slid and hurt one of his legs. That's ALL we need is a vet bill and a lame horse. Maybe we should stop putting the three of them out together. Charmed always gets the brunt of any disrespect from either of the other two.

So back to work I go again today. I have one volunteer and she's got a good heart but is pretty much a piece of work. I can't expect much from her so the paddocks will get done as well as she can do them and I will not worry about it. I hope they were turned out with their sheets on. If not, another terrible night of grooming them all is in store.

Have a good night, ladies. Or should I say day?
Old 01-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #1527
Blabbermouth!!!

Hope you can think it through about mornings... sounds like a lot of pros and cons . Hard decision I'm sure .

Hope today was ok too and you didn't work too hard.

Take care and get some rest ! Are you off tomorrow ?
Old 01-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #1528
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds like those horses are penned up too much... (remember, I know nothing about horses)
The horses here are always out in their fields. My neighbor was complaining, here we have nice shelter for the horses & where do they go? out in the field, snowing or not... She did move them to the back field, closer to their stalls, but they're always outside.
I love seeing them get excited & running around... beautiful to behold... that being from a safe distance too! Oh, an Molly is always admiring the horses on our drive to & from work & on our run... you can see our neighbors horses at the end of our driveway, she just LOVES 'em!
Mornings sound like a much healthier life-style choice. When they do become available, that just might be your next hurdle.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #1529
Big Yapper!

I think you might be right, Debby. Maybe we should just let the horses be more "outdoor animals". It would save us a ton of money in bedding. That's not ever going to happen, though. And the "fields" here are just dreadful when muddy like it is now. It's the strangest thing. As you walk on them, the ground almost caves in under your weight. The horses sink even deeper, naturally. It feels almost like a sink hole. I don't know why the land is as screwed up as it is.

They are beautiful to behold, aren't they? We'll all be riding them in Heaven, with our Lord and Savior. I wish I knew if all our animals would be there, waiting for us. I believe their souls do live on.

Laura, I'm working tomorrow then off Wednesday and Thursday. It's going to rain tomorrow but is supposed to end around the time I get there. The paddocks are already nearly impossible to walk over so I won't be cleaning them up tomorrow. I tried today but it was pointless.

Have a nice night, ladies. I'm pooped. Had no volunteer today and the Director did next to nothing to help me. She didn't even ask if she could do anything for me. She did grain her mini's though.

Last edited by CherylB; 01-13-2014 at 06:43 PM..
Old 01-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #1530
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good night, have a good rest, you earned it!