Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #1471
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Hope your next few days at the farm will be inspiring & satisfying to make up for today.
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #1472
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Thank you, ladies. It's starting to kick in (that feeling I need to give in and turn off the computer and get into position for sleep) so I can't stay long. Just wanted to thank you for your support.

I need to remember that happiness comes from within, and if you are content within yourself, the external environment has so little influence on how you feel. My internal environment is what I'm going to work on in 2014.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #1473
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #1474
Big Yapper!

Happy New Year, ladies! I'm here, but I've been busy doing other things. Cisco is especially needy today. Not sure what's up with that. Maybe she senses the weather changes.

Hope your first day of the year was a good one!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #1475
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
Hi everyone! We'll here I am sick as all get out. I gave an awful cold again. I think thus makes 4 colds in just a few months. I can't breathe, nose us stuffy but running too, if that makes sense! I have a fever tonight. I had a melt down tonight. These people had a new yrs dinner, pork and all, then made a disaster of the kitchen! Lower cabinets, counters, stove and oven was a total mess! I can barely talk and I was trying to yell. I'm talking about a real disaster they left. I cleaned it up and when I expressed myself to dh he didn't care. When he's sick he's on the couch not moving all day. But oh no, I don't get that luxury!!! Ugh!
Dh's niece came for dinner and is staying tonight. Her and her 1 yr old. She's adorable! Smiles all the time. Chloe takes care if her and it's cute.
DS had a few too many today and was hugging me telling me I'm too stressed and when there's noise in the house I should make my own noise too. Lol. Ok. He knows I like quiet. He said that's my goal for now. He's sleeping on the living room floor talking in his sleep.
Hope your day was better than mine.
Ttys!

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

"He who the Son sets free is free indeed"

Tammy
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #1476
Big Yapper!

OMG. I'm so sorry, Tammy. I just texted you but I don't know if you'll see it. I can't believe your sick again! What a frustrating day. I wish they had been courteous and thoughtful of you and thankful for the use of the kitchen. I hope you text me back. If not, I'll ttyt. Well, I mean later today.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #1477
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Tay-sorry you're sick!! Hope you feel better today!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR Cheryl!! Hope this year holds blessings untold!!
julieboolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #1478
Big Yapper!

Thank you, Julie! I hope you get your wish for me. Blessings untold is what I hope for everyone I love and care for. I hope that all of us are better off when this year wraps up than we were at the start of it. In some cases, it's all up to us as individuals to make that a reality.

Snow storm in progress. We're in a little lull. It's snowing and blowing but flakes are small and not accumulating greatly. The wind will be howling through the night and parts of tomorrow. I heard it will be ALL of Friday, which is going to suck so bad. I hope we don't lose power. I have no generator and when the wind chill is predicted to break records, I will have the faucets dripping in the kitchen and bathroom, just to keep pipes from freezing.

The horses will be all buttoned up inside their barn stalls. Two of them do not take that well at all. Lola and Frodo get really edgy. I think Lola's worse than Frodo, but maybe just cause I haven't witnessed Frodo behave the way Lola does when I go to slide her door shut. She gets bug-eyed and her legs sort of splay out and she starts looking for the exit. I am careful to not get run over when she's in that state.

I don't think I told my journal friends yet but I've decided to adopt a bunny from a former co-worker. She posted on facebook that she wanted to rehome "Cooper" and she posted pics. He's a gorgeous boy and she says he's very friendly. I decided to take him sight unseen. I grew to really love Bugsy; the black and white bunny we had at the farm (who died a few months ago.) If Cooper is a snuggly bunny like Bugsy, it will be worth the trouble of caring for him. I just have to find out if my dog's Vet does exotic pets.

I get him this Sunday! Here are the pics she posted:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bunny Cooper.jpg (79.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Bunny Cooper 1.jpg (32.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Bunny Cooper with Chelsea's dog Bentley.jpg (26.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #1479
Big Yapper!

My current Vet does bunnies!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #1480
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What a beauty! Looks like he's friends with Molly! Is Cissy good with rabbits?
Old 01-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #1481
Big Yapper!

She's never been exposed to one but when I had parakeets and would let them fly around, they would sometimes land on the floor in front of her. She'd slowly stand up and slink off. I'm hoping she will learn that Cooper is part of our family and even grow to enjoy having "company" when I'm at work. I mean, I've got "Mr Fishy" but he isn't great company. The bunny will be something she can interact with. And Cooper will be safe in his cage.

I was thinking the girl's dog was a border collie mix. His name is Bentley and he's a really cute dog.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #1482
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cool. She'll catch on quick... seeing you with him. We had to take care of a pet rabbit once (years ago). Our collie always hunted, killed & ate the rock-rabbits near our home. So when that pet rabbit got loose, we were scared she would kill it... know what she did? She herded it back to us, so we could catch it! Wouldn't have been able to catch it if it wasn't for her! We hadn't even tried to get them acquainted!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #1483
Big Yapper!

Oh, sweet! I would love for Cissy to do something like that but I hope it will be a very long time before she's ever in a situation where she's able to act on any instinct she has to hunt small furry creatures. She does love to chase squirrels so the whole bunny thing is a little worrisome to me. I trust that I can show her that Cooper is part of our family. I'll put a lot of time into it.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #1484
Big Yapper!

(Copy/Paste from Julie's journal) :

Yep! Nowhere to go but down. ME TOO. I'll be joining you soon. I am dabbling in LC foods but haven't made the 100% switch-over yet. I got paid today so now I can go shopping. Whew! I had an unexpected auto debit charge from my gym. The annual facilities charge of almost $23. It left my bank account $1.72. I couldn't breathe, knowing that if any other debit came through, I would be charged $35 for each thing that did. I have set up all auto debit stuff to come out after the 3rd but obviously, things happen.

I used to have many more things on auto debit but now I only have the things that absolutely need to be, like the gym and the insurance for car and rent. Everything else gets paid when I pay them.

Interesting note: I was shopping on Craigslist last night for a convection/microwave combo. I found two for $75. Today I woke up to a more rational mind and I told them both that I think I should wait. Then one writes back and says they will drop it to $50! Well, I can't walk away from that. I emailed them back and said I could come tomorrow.

The reason I was looking at all is I was making a frozen chicken pot pie in the oven, which takes just over an hour (after you heat the oven to temperature.) With a microwave with 1100 watts or greater, you can cook them in there in about 10 minutes. My mom does that all the time. I tried nuking one in mine and it got ruined, as the box said it would be.

I won't be eating chicken pot pies on LC (at least not ones with a crust) if I go the LC route so I wish I hadn't contacted these people. I hope it's a good deal and there's nothing wrong with it. All it has is the turntable. No racks or things like that. I thought convection ovens had things like meat thermometers and stuff. (End of copy/paste.)

So it's blowing like crazy here. I woke up and looked out to see if the plow guy did the driveway and he did, but you can't tell except for the ridge of snow where he stopped. With the drifting from all the wind, the driveway is back to having snow in it. I will try to get out onto the road without shoveling out but I don't know it I can manage that.

Well below zero with the sustained north winds of 20-30 and I have to go work out in it. The crying smiley just doesn't cut it. I need one that shows the guy sobbing. Actually, the LOL smiley looks like that so I'll use him. All I have to do is to get through this afternoon. It's all downhill from there. I'll focus on the tasks at hand and soldier on.

Rain storm coming Sunday and going to be up near 40. After that, another dive down into an arctic period.

One of the things I need to change in 2014 is my tendency to let outside influences control my mood and emotions. I need to make my INTERNAL environment a beautiful, peaceful place of contentment and to go deep inside me when the outside things are unruly. One of my New Year's resolutions.

Hope you all have a great day. Stay warm. Tammy, hope you're on the mend, sweetie.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #1485
Big Yapper!

Having worked today in the brutal cold, I have more to share. I'm off tomorrow and I'm very happy about that.

It was only in the single digit temps today but we had sustained winds ranging between 20 and 30 mph. It was easily -12 on bare skin (my poor cheeks.) I had to clean the snow off my car and shovel out of my driveway. I thought the plow guy had done most of that but with all the drifting snow, it got recovered. It wasn't fluffy snow as they said it was, it was very dense and compact.

Once I got the car partially cleaned off, I went to turn it on so I could defrost the windows "fore and aft." Battery was dead. I have one of those jumper things and I tried to jump it with that but nothing. I went inside to plug the jumper in to top off the charge and then texted my manager to tell her I might not be there for another hour. Then I went back out to finish cleaning off the car and driveway.

I got a call while I was inside resting and waiting for the jumper to charge. It was one of the other barn girls. She said that there was a little girl there who came to volunteer. I told her where I was and what was the situation and then I told her to have the girl just hang out in the house. If she's the one I think she is, they usually come in a pack of three ( ) and she is only about 15 years old. Very short and very inexperienced.

So I told this coworker of mine to also tell the girl that if I'm not there in 30 minutes, that she should just go home, but please tell her thanks so much for coming. She was gone when I got there. Missed her by 10 minutes. I was better off cause it would have only ended up being a private orientation on everything I needed her to do. I don't have time to teach someone how to pick a hoof that is completely packed with snow and ice when they've never picked a warm hoof before. YKWIM?

So anyway, after I got off the phone with her, I texted my neighbors upstairs to see if either of them had jumper cables. I said that I was trying to come up with a back-up plan if my jumper wouldn't do the trick after recharging it. They said "no problem" so that gave me a sense of relief.

I called the manager a while before to ask her to let me know what I could expect to find when I got to the farm. I assumed everyone would be inside. They were all out. And every one of their water buckets was frozen nearly solid. Madness! Madness, I tell you! I figured they would be out cause she's always erring on the side of keeping them out rather than closed up and confined. Well, maybe the barn guys but why do that to the run-in guys?

So the man came down and jumped me after I tried it again and nothing happened. I figured it would turn right over with the other battery. It didn't. It didn't sound any more promising than before. I started to really worry. I checked the alligator clips to see if they were on there well and they were. He said we should leave it hooked up for a while, while his car ran. I said that was fine and then I called the lady that lives near to the farm.

I started telling her the situation and asked her if I couldn't get the car running, if she could at least go over there and turn them all in, make sure they had stall water and some hay, etc. I told her that I would call her in 10 minutes and see if I needed her to "deploy." So I'm sure she started praying cause she's a Christian and is even married to a Baptist Pastor.

Well, the car turned over nice and strong after those few extra minutes of being hooked up to his battery but I couldn't help but attribute it to prayer cause my mom was praying and so was this woman (who had REASON to pray. If the car didn't start, she was going to have a lot to do.) So I called her back and gave her the good news while the defroster was blasting and thawing the front and rear windows.

So I got out of there and went to Dunkin Donuts for a Box o' Joe. I was going to need coffee and lots of it. Why mess around? Took it to the farm thinking that the plow guy might still be there and then we could both enjoy it. He was gone by the time I arrived.

I immediately set about bringing in the horses. I didn't get there until 3:40 and I usually get there at 2:30. All the waters were near solid. Normally they will empty when you knock them over but this time, I had to pick them up and drop them repeatedly to get the ice to break and the water to drain. That is just pathetic. I am going to really raise hell if we don't get the heated paddock buckets out there, at least on these super cold days.

We don't have many of them so that is why they aren't used much. But we can't have them out there with no access to water. That is not acceptable. It's the kind of cold where you break the ice on the top of the bucket and it's starting to refreeze as you are walking away.

So I got them all inside and then checked to see about stall waters and barn hay. The barn stalls and all run-in's had water, the run-in guys had some hay so they had something to eat while I got my ducks in a row, but the barn guys had none. Their waters were up and plugged in though so that was good.

Around 4:30, the older Friday pm volunteer pulled in. I was so happy to see her! So while I was passing out hay, I asked her to go down the line and pick icy hooves and check their sheets for fit, etc. They have a tendency to slide to one side. I guess she's never picked their hooves when they are really packed with snow and ice cause she had a really hard time. When I went to do the hooves she missed, I saw just how rock-hard they were. We needed a jackhammer instead. A lowly little hoof pick wasn't cutting it.

So then after I passed the hay and everyone was munching and hooves were getting cleaned, I went in the house to get the grain ready. I passed out all the grain except for the mini's cause she was done by that time and asked her to do those guys. Then she went about picking the hooves in the barn and she said theirs were much easier. (Barn is warmer so they must have softened considerably.)

After that we topped barn waters, supplemented hay for those who ate like pigs and swept out the barn. I wasn't going to do another single thing more. It was way too cold to pick stalls. Anything liquid that got spread around by their hooves just froze solid. I wasn't going to go through all that craziness.

Before the lady left, I said I had to see if my car would start and thankfully, it started right up. I left it running and heating up the windshield, which had gotten completely frosted over (Good old Jack Frost came to see me.) All the windows were decorated with frost. How pretty. NOT. (My door lock was frozen too. I had to open the passenger side and reach across.)

I got paid today so I was able to go shopping on the way home. . I was BROKE. Had an unexpected annual auto debit from my gym membership which left me with exactly $1.72. That nearly cost me a $35 fee for going into the red. .

So that's all the news. Plow guy still hasn't come back to finish the job. I was hoping it would be done so I could just rest and not worry about running out there to move my car later on. Whatever he can't do with the car in place can just be left for me to shovel later. Who gives a flying hoot! Not me!! It's all going to melt this weekend anyway.

I hope you enjoyed my story and stayed comfy and warm while reading about my frigid day. CT sucks, my friends.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #1486
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Bummer on the cold... I remember door locks freezing... None too fondly . I'd have loved a co-worker brining in a box o'joe. glad you had some help, and glad the car stated right up. Looking forward to warmer temps for you!
julieboolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #1487
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds like a rough day, but you made it! Yes, hope your warmer weather shows up soon. Ours is back to 'normal temps' now & we're enjoying it... (around 25F)
Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 AM   #1488
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Wow, Cheryl, what a day. Glad you got your car started, survived the frigid temps without lasting harm and were able to replenish your bank account. I think I'd be having fantasies about moving South and soon.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #1489
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Wow Cheryl, what a day !
I was getting exhausted "for you" just reading it !

hope it warms up some soon and yes, I guess the battery is what you need. Always something, huh ? Sorry about that.

Hope today goes better. Try to stay warm !

( haha ! just realized Lola and I said the exact same thing ! ) lol !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #1490
Big Yapper!

How kind of all four of you ladies to chime in! A nice surprise. I'm off today so it WILL be a better and warmer day. I'm staying inside and there's nothing that will drag me out of this house. I won't even be going out for the mail since the one thing I was looking forward to finally getting has come. I did sleep better last night.

I told the guy via email last night that I had to buy a battery so I would need to pass on the micro/convection oven. He wrote back just a bit ago and said "no worries; shoot me an email when things are better." I might do that. A battery is only ONE of the things I need for my car. The windshield washer motor died and the wiper motor is also showing signs of near-death. It's either this or a car payment. Not sure what to do. My car is 16 years old now. I guess I'll really need to sit down and see how much money I could actually part with monthly if I stop spending on incidentals (like light beer and convenience (aka "junk") food.)

I refuse to work more hours than I already am. I'm at the end of what's acceptable. Especially for winter time. Nah. Not even winter time. ANY season. Four is my definite limit. I have enough money to make my disability check work for me. And after July, I'll have paid my nephew back and will have $100 more per month to put into a car payment.

It's bright and sunny today and the temps will continue to rise all day and night. Tomorrow is going to be in the 40's and rainy. Then down the hill we go, back into the single digits at night time. Such is the rollercoaster we ride.

Can't focus on those things, though. Must keep the big picture in view cause this too shall pass. Need a goal and need it fast. Then I need a starting line and a gun blast. That should have been New Year's day but I'm getting off to a slow and casual start. I'll get it going though! 2014 is the year I go All. The. Way.

Bringing my new-to-me bunny home tomorrow afternoon! I hope we click right off the bat. I hope he can adjust to having a new mommy, new sister and a new home. I also hope vacuum cleaners don't bother him cause I'll need to vacuum a lot more often with him around. I also hope that the cage is in better condition than the current owner says it's in. If not, I'll add that to the list of things I need to buy this month.

I also want to buy one of those reptile heating pads for my Betta. He needs some warmth too. I don't want to deal with trying to stick a heater into the bowl cause it's round so I looked into my options and that seems like the perfect one. Just need to find a way to protect the surface that will be under the heater. Currently Mr Fishy is on my dresser. I don't want to ruin that. Fine, quality solid oak furniture that I won't be able to replace anytime soon.

I was thinking of moving Mr Fishy over to the top of the electric woodstove in the corner anyway. I might just do that, and make room for Cooper. I think his cage might fit well on the dresser. Problem solved? Time will tell.

I'm just blabbing now. I have a swollen rash-like thing that appears to be spreading on my left inner ankle area; just above the ankle sock line. No idea what it's from but it started as a single bump, which I scratched. I hope I didn't infect it with something under my nails. God only knows what is under there (even with fastidious hand washing) after I return from the farm. I will apply Triamcinolone cream and hope for the best. And stop scratching.

Birdies are back to being happy cause I filled both of their feeders the other day. I couldn't justify laziness in the face of such extreme weather conditions. I hear them out there chirping in the sun on the front porch right now.

The plow guy came back around 11 pm and finished off my driveway. He did a good job even with my car being parked there. I'll only need to clean up along the edges with a shovel. I probably won't even bother cause it's going to melt.

Gotta go. There's a cute program on Animal Planet. Need to pay attention to the funny home videos! Have a great day and weekend, everyone.

Last edited by CherylB; 01-04-2014 at 09:24 AM..
Old 01-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #1491
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good reflections... Healthful eating might be just as costly as your present diet... thought I better warn you.

I was thinking about you last night. Our neighbor who has a farm is thinking of building a cabin for someone who would help them with the horses, goats, sheep, etc... for staying there. I wanted to chime in & tell them about your farm, etc... but the conversation was moving much too fast.

Enjoy your day!
Old 01-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #1492
Big Yapper!

Wow. That would be so cool to live where you are. Thanks for thinking of me. Who knows what the future holds. All I know is I love animals. I would much prefer that sort of situation to a therapeutic riding center where there are so many different people to have to deal with and supervise. It can be so trying. I hope it's making me a better person and more ready to handle whatever's coming down the pike next.

I know healthy eating is costly too, but the thing with eating a LC diet is I don't overeat. There's little to make me want to stuff myself. How many eggs and strips of bacon can one eat without wanting to hurl? Maybe that's just me.

I was just thinking about that neighbor's farm idea again. I am on social security disability. I imagine that means that I have to at least live in this country to continue to collect. Makes sense, right? No way I'd give that up. Just got a raise, too!
Old 01-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #1493
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, the SS check would not likely be provided if you moved up here. Its fun dreaming though.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #1494
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Cheryl, I have a friend on Social Security Disability who lives in Europe so I know for sure you can continue to receive it while living outside if the country.

Have fun with your new bunny pal Cooper-Copper. Hope the cage turns out to be sturdy enough.

And I hope you will be able to get your car issues straightened out without too much expense. Aargh. Cars are so expensive to own. Good luck.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #1495
Big Yapper!

Thanks, Lola. That's really good to know, since I never ever thought to live in another country. It sure is pretty in BC, though.

I will know in less than 24 hours if the cage will suffice. I meet Cooper at precisely 2:30, unless the girl plans to come after I've arrived in order to show me things about him. I need some tips on what he likes, what he doesn't, etc. Don't want to step on his toes, so to speak.

I was just reading up on how to speak and understand the language of bunnies and it's surprisingly complex! It's called language . rabbitspeak. I have learned much through reading all their little pages today. They have such cute images and even some videos to, to demonstrate what they mean. I love the way they put things, too. Very cute.

I was on the computer a short time ago, shopping for a newer car. I can't stand how so many cars and suv's are SILVER. It's like people are afraid to stand out. The car I currently have is red but I have always drooled when a bright yellow xterra would drive by me. I like to turn heads. I want someone to know when I drive by that it's more than likely to be me than to not be me. Do ykwim? All those silver cars just blend in together. I can't tell my sister's car in a parking lot, even when I know she's supposed to be there!

So I will consider any vehicle of any other color. Silver is automatically ixnayed. I know it would be cheaper to just keep my current car running and just put out the little fires that flare up when they happen, and just accept that is how it's going to be. I need to be thankful that it's not something that would leave me no choice but to sell and get something else, like the engine or transmission. I guess I'll just put a couple hundred into it for the next few months and see where that gets me. If it's still not something I want to keep, at least it will be closer to being ready for sale or trade-in.

I will make a list of the things that need looked at and fixed and then call the mechanic who did my power steering. He's the one who told me that I should probably hang onto the car cause the engine was strong. He should know so I should trust that. I guess that means Case Closed.

Off to think about that list. Have a happy, cozy night, my friends.

Last edited by CherylB; 01-04-2014 at 02:47 PM..
Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #1496
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We always subscribe to consumers report when looking for a car. They give you a run-down on what WILL go wrong with used vehicles... sometimes you can even get that info from them online without subscribing. Anyway, having said that, its how we switched to Toyota. Camry's rock!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #1497
Big Yapper!

I've always loved Toyota's in the past but there was a long period of time a few years back where Toyota's were being recalled for some serious stuff, left and right. It made me stop and think about that, in case I ever saw a really too-good-to-be-true deal on one. You get what you pay for, etc. But thanks for the idea of Consumer's Report.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #1498
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
I've always loved Toyota's in the past but there was a long period of time a few years back where Toyota's were being recalled for some serious stuff, left and right. It made me stop and think about that, in case I ever saw a really too-good-to-be-true deal on one. You get what you pay for, etc. But thanks for the idea of Consumer's Report.
Yep, it was a bogus smear campaigne by american companies to give them a chance for the market, right when the bottom fell out of the economy. If one was reading the smaller print stories, the problem originated in the states & was found in the big-name American cars also, but never as bad as they said... something the media did not zoom in on until later. It helped the American brands, but they still rule as best. I believe in the end, Toyota has gone out of its way to recall the vehicles in question & found that the only thing they might need to replace was a carpet near the gas-pedal.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #1499
Big Yapper!

I never heard that before. Could be, though. I think if I buy something else, I want an SUV. I'm ready for something more than just a car. For now though, I will keep sticking money into what I have. Have a good night, Debby. Time for me to get off this keyboard for the night.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #1500
Big Yapper!

Well, today is Cooper Day! I hope. Cause the girl is still wondering what time she should bring the rabbit to the farm this afternoon and it's now going to be "freezing rain" rather than just plain rain. I hate this! Bring me my rabbit! She sent me a text a bit ago, asking what time I'm usually at the farm until. It varies! She knows that. So I just said 5 cause if it's freezing rain, I need to get the work done and get out of there.

I WAS getting four volunteers; all of them really good. Now I'm guessing I might only get two, if that. I hate all this not knowing. That's the hardest part about life in general for me.

I spoke with the manager yesterday about the regular water buckets being used in the paddocks during this wickedly cold weather and how they freeze. I explained to her why the handles all got bent; cause the ice:water ratio was so high that I had to drop them repeatedly to get the ice to break. Now she's saying to just bring them (full of ice and water) into the house so they can melt. The woman is absolutely nuts.

I asked why we can't use the heated buckets for the paddocks, like we did last year. She said 1- She doesn't want an extension cord running through Charmed's paddock. He might get tangled in it and trip. (Well, all through the summer, he has the cord running exactly where it would be and he has never once had a problem with it. PLUS, he only comes out of his stall to drink from that bucket, and if it's gone, he has no reason to leave his stall at all.)

2- She uses those buckets to top-off the stall buckets at night check. That's the real reason. It's convenient for her. So is convenience really worth the horses not having anything to drink from lunchtime until I get there? "They eat snow." Well, they tell people who are stranded without water to never eat snow because it lowers your body's core temperature.

Then she says that other facilities don't have heated buckets at all. "We're lucky." Well then, maybe their buckets are much larger and it takes much longer for them to freeze solid. That would make sense. Then the ice would be just at the top and easy to break through. But they wouldn't be busting down those buckets and bringing them in every night, the way we "lucky ones" do.

I'm sorry. It's my journal and I can gripe if I want to ( ) but I shouldn't spend so much energy and time on futile pursuits. I'll try to do better (yeah, right.) Have an awesome Sunday, ladies. Wish me luck. I want my bunny!!!