Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #1441
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Thank you, Debby. I tried to be gracious but inside, I know what I'm thinking and feeling about it all and I'm just hoping to God it doesn't show. You hit the nail on the head about aging parents. It's hard to see them "devolve" and know we will follow in their footsteps eventually.

That alone should give me the motivation to be my absolute best at the age that I am, so I can age more gracefully and be the best I can be as that happens to me. She was never one to exercise or be active in any kind of sport, etc. I should try to take the higher road.

It's been snowing all morning long and it's still going strong. It's not going to accumulate or be anything significant, just enough to have to go clean it up when it's all over. It's pretty to watch, though. I have always enjoyed watching it snow. I'm guessing it will end soon because the sky is definitely getting brighter.

Have a nice and relaxing day, everyone. Those are my plans.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #1442
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
hope you spent the day relaxing ...... I know I did.
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #1443
Big Yapper!

Cute new pic! Love your dimples.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #1444
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
Hi Cheryl! Just a quick note before I fall asleep.
I had a great Xmas and so much fun at my BIL's house. My mil made a toast to me bc I had a glass of wine with her! It was so funny! When I said I'd have dome she yelled for my BIL's gf to hurry up and get me done before I changed my mind! Lol. She had us all laughing.
Chloe made out like a fat rat for Xmas! Her dad still hasn't brought her gifts. He was suppose to come today and didn't even text to say he wasn't coming. He didn't call Chloe yesterday either. Yes, he'll be getting an earful from me.
Well it's bed time for me.
I'll be back tomorrow. Good night!

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

"He who the Son sets free is free indeed"

Tammy
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #1445
Big Yapper!

Tammy, I'm so glad you all had such a great Christmas. Chloe is always making out like a bandit. At her age, she doesn't pay any attention to who gave what or who didn't give something. Still sucks that her Dad is being a cheapskate and a "no show" of sorts.

I'm glad also to hear that you aren't in the dark with so many who were hit by that ice storm that affected a wide swath of people. I heard PA mentioned and I hoped it wasn't in your area.

I'm so glad the holidays are almost over. Back to normalcy! How's Shawn doing? Is he having trouble adjusting to being back? Must be quite a different world from what he's become used to. I hope he won't need to go back.

Sleep tight. I'm heading to la-la-land too.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:53 AM   #1446
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
I agree with Debby; your sense of humor will get you through. How old is your mother?

Your remark about the mashed potatoes tickled me. I've never used anything but a hand masher to make them and didn't realize people routinely did otherwise. Do you use a hand blender or electric mixer to make them? I haven't eaten potatoes in years but if I still did I think I'd prefer the hand mashed kind. I used to leave some unmashed bits in there as I liked the slightly rougher texture...found it more toothsome I suppose.

Enjoy your brief holiday from work, Cheryl. We're heading home tomorrow but my husband has one more week off work so we'll still be in vacation mode for a while. And I will certainly be enjoying that.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #1447
Blabbermouth!!!

Lola, I use my hand masher too.... forgot to put that lol ! Old habits die hard....
Old 12-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #1448
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Yeah I forgot to mention that too... hand-masher attached to a man! And I usually don't peel my potatoes so they always have a chewier texture & all the vitamins.
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #1449
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Yeah I forgot to mention that too... hand-masher attached to a man! And I usually don't peel my potatoes so they always have a chewier texture & all the vitamins.
Me too, Debby. I thought they tasted best with the skins left on; my husband however prefers them peeled for some reason.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #1450
Big Yapper!

This potato masher conversation is growing into something very interesting and revealing. I use a hand mixer if I'm making them. I like them super smooth and keep adding milk or buttermilk (if that's what I'm using) until I get the right consistency. (I still get lumps but they are small.) My husband taught me many bad eating habits, including putting buttermilk and mayo in the mashed potatoes. It makes them taste divine.

My mom just turned 82 in October. I'm the youngest of the five daughters she had and I'm 31 years younger than she is. That ain't so young anymore. The baby of the family now qualifies for AARP.

Lola, I'm glad you can still be in vacation mode for another week.

As for me, it's my last day off before my four-day run. It's supposed to rain on Sunday afternoon then turn very cold again toward the middle of the week. Today we are warming up into the 30's after being much colder. Amazing how warm 30-something feels after being in the teens or single digits.

I am so ready to turn the page on my calendar. I want a fresh start and a new year. New beginnings are awesome, aren't they? This coming year will see big changes in my world. My sister and her husband selling their house and putting stuff in storage while they do some traveling (I hope they can do that. It was something they looked forward to in this sad scenario.) And then settling in the DC area to be near the kids.

Their son and his bride moving from Indiana to the DC area in June or July, too. This year is going to be one where I need to be ready to tackle opportunities that may come my way. If they come knocking and I'm NOT ready, I won't be able to snatch them up. I limit myself by staying obese. I limit my potential and how happy and well I can feel. Everything is a chore when you are at a very high weight.

I have a lot of thinking and planning to do, but that's part of the fun, too. I love planning! Give me a calendar, a pen and a dream and I can come up with some pretty lofty goals. But I need to break them down into little bite-sized ones so I can feel I'm accomplishing my goals and ticking something off all the way to the big kahuna goal.

Who knows? Maybe my landlady really is having trouble affording this mortgage and her whole refinancing thing was an attempt to make keeping the house possible. She said it was to get a lower interest rate and that they had approached her, not the other way around. Since then, I've gotten the sense that isn't the case.

So, this is why I need to be ready for anything this year. I'm seeing more the "cause and affect" in my life. I know what causes me to weaken and cave into temptation when I'm eating a certain way. It's pretty clear to me. I have things that need changing. I need to get up in the morning when I wake and not try to sleep longer. I need to get out of bed and get dressed, then simply go about making coffee and staying up and about, doing this, that or the other.

So that's where my head is at, ladies. I don't talk about these things much anymore because I've become so hypersensitive to praise and such. I will not be talking about the journey down the scale again and I probably won't talk about the details of how I'm eating, if I'm drinking or not, etc. I will need to keep my cards close and to my vest. I'd share if I could, but at this time in my evolution, I just won't be able to.

So just wish me luck, keep me in your prayers and all that stuff. Each day will be a goal. To live each day to its fullest. Today is really all we have, anyway. I'm making myself feel sad with all this talk so I'm going to end this post and let it be seen.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #1451
Big Yapper!

We only get 15 minutes to edit our posts after posting now? I think we used to have an hour. Sorry for the sloppy English in the post above. I always edit after posting. Will have to change my ways in regard to posting, too.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #1452
Blabbermouth!!!

I think this is the time of year when most people get reflective... you sound like you've thought about this a lot and I wish you all the best in the New Year !
Old 12-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #1453
Big Yapper!

Thank you, Laura. It's just the tip of the iceberg, but I'm beginning to scratch the surface and take a good look at what needs to be done.

I love your new Avi! I posted that I loved it on my journal but not on your journal and I don't want you to miss that comment. You look so dog-gone cute and youthful.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #1454
Blabbermouth!!!

Really ? I didn't like it so much, but was tired of the other one. lol ! Wanted a great pic of me and Shelby on Christmas Day, but there were so many people ( and pets ) that I didn't get one. lol !

Have a great day off
Old 12-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #1455
Big Yapper!

Yes, you look very cute. I like the one of you and Shelby making cookies. The one you thought you both looked terrible in? You look a little shiny but otherwise, a good picture.

I need to get moving. The board is hopping again, now that Christmas is over! Trying to keep up!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #1456
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Laura-I agree, like the pic!

Cheryl-sounds like you're doing some good reflecting and planning! New Years is a gat time to do that! We can all benefit from some thought and reflection. Just don't do the "I wish I'd ..." Game. That's a slippery slope and waste of time. Do the "next year at this time..." Planning game instead . A fresh clean year to make into whatever you choose to do!

Hope work isn't too crazy, cold or wet for you!!
julieboolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #1457
Big Yapper!

That's right, Julie. I'm not in any place to get down on myself. You can't be, when it's time to dust yourself off and get back in the game. You can't get anywhere with that kind of negativity and remorse. It is what it is.

It will be mild and muddy at the farm. No rain but due to the temps, very muddy. And the way the horses hooves churn up the ground in places in their paddocks, the mud can get pretty deep. Not a good day for cleaning the paddocks. The wheelbarrow will be tough to maneuver over the ground and I'll just focus on the manure and leave the scattered hay where it is.

Cisco had me up and down a few times during the night. She wanted to go out pretty badly. I figured it was a bowel thing but when she'd go out, she'd bark a lot. Just a little bit ago, she was outside and barking (not unusual for her) but she was hyper-excited and her bark was different. I looked outside and a man (who looked like he was wearing a jacket similar to what a fireman from the firehouse across the street would be wearing) was leaving our property. He went across to a van (with "Ryder" written on it) and he sped off. I checked to see if there was a package on the neighbor's front step and there was, so all he was trying to do was deliver something. The way Cisco was acting, I'd have been scared to be him.

She's okay with the regular mailmen or women, but she goes nuts when UPS shows up. I don't know why. (FedEx doesn't get such a strong response.) This Ryder guy must have fallen into the category of UPS man. It's good to know that once in a while, she's a protector. Beware of dog!

That would make a really cute commercial, actually. A dog happy to see the FedEx guy and ready to rip the jugular of the UPS man.

So, that's all that's happening here. I'll bbl to report on my day, if I have any energy left. Have a lovely Saturday!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #1458
Blabbermouth!!!

Hope your day yesterday was ok , not much happening on the boards .....

Cissy wanted to be a guard dog, that's cute ! She sounds more like a lover than a
fighter
Old 12-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #1459
Big Yapper!

That she is, Laura! She's always been a lover. She loves people and has minimal interest in other dogs, though she'll play with them on a limited level. She's always been a people person. Except for the delivery guys.

Yesterday at work was nice. I had three young helpers; two new guys. It's rare we get boys and these were twins and both love the farm and enjoy the work. And they can follow instructions! Things went so smoothly that I was in total heaven.

TODAY on the other hand is going to be wet. It just started raining and it's going to rain all afternoon and get heavy. It sounded more like sleet when I opened the door to let Cissy inside but it's too warm for sleet. I have a raincoat and I'll wear it for sure. I've always avoided wearing it like the plague because it's so YELLOW and HUGE but now I need huge. My BIL gave it to me and I have never worn it. I hurt his feelings when I was given it, too. I said it was huge and he said, "Thanks, Cheryl." I didn't mean it as an insult to him (meaning he's also huge) but that's how he took it.

I took my last Restoril last night so it will be a crap-shoot as far as sleeping for the next few days, until the new bottle comes in the mail. It should get here any day but I know that there is a back-log of deliveries to be made with the Christmas debacle of so many gifts not getting to their destinations on time.

I'm still waiting for a Christmas card that contains a check from my nephew in MO. I think he put mine in the mail last, to buy himself some time with the check. I sent him some Drakes cakes that he said on FB that he missed eating and can't get in his part of the country and I took pity on him. He's been stalling me for almost a month and a half to send me the money for reimbursement. He kept saying "will send asap" or "putting it in the mail on Monday." Then it was, "I'm sending it with your Christmas card to save a stamp." Never again. I guess he's a bit more like his father than I ever realized. His father has always talked a good game. My nephew is always talking about how important family is.

I hope you all have a lovely Sunday.

Last edited by CherylB; 12-29-2013 at 09:04 AM..
Old 12-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #1460
Senior LCF Member

I'm always so fascinated to read about your days at the farm, Cheryl. Are all or most of your volunteers at the farm disabled? I've gotten the impression that the goal of the farm is to provide a positive learning experience for disabled or challenged young people but I've not quite been sure if that goal is met through riding lessons or volunteering or both. And perhaps I've not totally understood the goals to begin with.

Since I began eating VLC in Sept I've been regularly taking vitamin supplements one of which is magnesium which I take before bedtime. I've been amazed at the difference it has made in my life. For the first time in years I sleep the night through and it is a deep and restful sleep. I'm averaging at least seven hours of really good sleep which is an enormous improvement for me. I think it has greatly reduced my anxiety and increased my overall sense of well being. I wonder if magnesium might be beneficial for you as well especially if you're without your Restoril right now.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #1461
Big Yapper!

What a rotten day to have an outdoor job working with large wet animals. I'm so glad it's over but it was trying from start to finish. I got there to discover that all the horses were still outside and I had thought they would be inside. At least the run-in guys that wouldn't be totally locked into a stall. (They can go in and out as they please.) They each had their turn-out sheets on but the sheets and the horses were all saturated.

I got there at 2:30 and immediately began bringing them in. I was never so happy to get out of there and to go home. I had four volunteers and not enough work to go around so I told them that I was going to be graining the horses and then going home soon myself. I had them pick hooves and do a little grooming, sweep the barn out and that sort of thing, but once they had cleaned the paddocks, what else was there? On a day like that, not too much.

I really didn't know if they were all going to show up, so I shouldn't have cleaned the mini's area. I would have been able to have one of the girls clean that for me. You just never know. And if I had left it for them and they didn't come, then I'd be scurrying to get it done while there was still daylight.

There were rivulets running all through the paddocks and run-ins and everywhere. The sound of the rain rushing through the down spout of the gutter on the tractor barn was so loud that I had to look at it to be sure that was where the noise was coming from. Today royally SUCKED.

And as wet as the horses were, she told me (the manager told me) to leave the run-in guys in their turn-out sheets that were wet, and that she'd change them over to what she wanted them to wear later on. I couldn't believe she wanted me to leave that nasty stuff on them. She asked if they were chilled. Well, wouldn't you be? There's no understanding that woman. I have tried and it just doesn't work.

But that is neither here nor there, cause now I'm home and dry, warm and happy. Happy, happy, happy! Happy to have a job, happy to have a car that gets me back and forth to work, happy to have a little dog to greet me upon my reentry into my "woman cave", happy to have a couple of beers and electricity. Lots of things to be happy about!

Happy to kiss 2013 goodbye, too. December, too. This winter has gotten off to a lousy start. But I'm happy! Daphne gave a whinny when I came back into the barn on my last pass before tucking them all in. She loves me. It's mutual.

So, have a dry and safe evening, everyone. Thanks for listening to me as I vent.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #1462
Big Yapper!

That's a good idea, Lola. I'll take some magnesium at bedtime tonight.

I'm glad you enjoy my stories. It's a therapeutic riding place but not intended (necessarily) for the disabled or challenged to be the ones volunteering with the barn work. Volunteers can help with the outdoor chores (once properly oriented and supervised to see that they know what they're doing) or inside by helping with house cleaning or helping the executive director with office type stuff. Any way you can imagine volunteering, we're open for helpers.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #1463
Big Yapper!

I took two Mag pills and it took a while but around 3 or 4, I did fall asleep. (I also took my two Benadryl, so not sure if the Mag helped.) I don't feel too bad right now. Hope the Restoril come today. If not, I'll be waiting until Wednesday cause of New Year's Eve. Or is it New Year's Day that the mail won't be delivered? I'm growing to hate holidays. It really screws life up. So glad we'll be done with them for this year.

I'm supposed to have a good amount of help today so I'm thinking we should walk the horses. I'll have to walk Calvin and Frodo myself cause they are hard to handle. Not in the mood for that struggle, to be truthful. But if I free lunge them in the arena, she'll have a fit that they tore up the ground right before a hard freeze.

Now they're saying we're getting a little snow tomorrow. That will be nice for those celebrating New Year's Eve in Times Square, though. I hope it's only for effect.

I'm so ready for a new year. I saw a friend of mine on facebook had written out a list of accomplishments she had in 2013, and then a list of goals for 2014. I did the same thing yesterday. My list isn't nearly as breath-taking as hers was but it showed me that I had more positive changes than I realized. It's a wonderful thing to sit back and do at the end of each year. Really gives you perspective.

Just saw the full weather forecast. The snow sweeps through right at the time I begin work and ends right when I am finishing up my shift. It's not going to be a lot so I shouldn't complain. I'll call it a nice little punctuation mark on the year and be thankful for the show.

Have a great day, ladies. If I don't see you again until next year, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #1464
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
At least it'll be snow, not rain, right? Hope your help actually helps today!!

I like that idea...the lists. I need to do that too. I'm mulling over a lot of things, and planning things for next year. It's all good, important to assess and evaluate. Time is precious and I've wasted a lot of it . Trying to make the most of every opportunity!
julieboolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #1465
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieboolie View Post
At least it'll be snow, not rain, right? Hope your help actually helps today!!

I like that idea...the lists. I need to do that too. I'm mulling over a lot of things, and planning things for next year. It's all good, important to assess and evaluate. Time is precious and I've wasted a lot of it . Trying to make the most of every opportunity!
I have been looking online for inspiration and I found this, which I think is excellent:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg focus on change, not results.jpg (62.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #1466
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
I like that!
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #1467
Big Yapper!

I do too, Debby.

Work was challenging. I had FIVE teenagers helping me. "Helping me." That's all I care to say at the moment.

It was so cold and windy and the temps are only going to dive down each day until they begin to rebound this weekend sometime. It's going to be brutal. Welcome to January! Way to ring in the new year.

Hope you are all doing well. Tammy, you out there still? Hope you're enjoying Shawn if he's still in PA with you and your family.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #1468
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
I'm here! My wi-fi isn't too good lately. It goes in and out a lot so posting is off and on. I've tried a few times and it cut off on me each time so I gave up trying.
Yes, Shawn is still here. He goes back the weekend of the 11th. It's been great having him here. He and my dd have spent a lot of time together. They're going out tomorrow night for New Years.
It's so cold here! We had flurries today. Nothing too great. Lol. Got my gas bill for last month.....$300!!!! This house is big! Ugh!!!!
We'll gonna post this before I lose it. Ttys!

Last edited by tay65; 12-30-2013 at 08:06 PM..
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #1469
Big Yapper!

Nice to see you, Tammy! Glad all is well, other than the gas bill and the wifi. Maybe find yourself a cable connection and leave wifi for when you really need to unplug. We miss you 'round here. Really glad Shawn is still home with you all and that he and dd are ringing in the new year. Let it be a safe and happy one for all of us.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #1470
Blabbermouth!!!

Sounds like a frustrating day at work ! 5 volunteers ??? that's too many !

I bet you are tired. Glad tomorrow is your last day and then you are off for a few.! I go back tomorrow...... not looking forward to New Year's Eve in the ER !!!

Hope the magnesium helps, I take it too. Sleep well !