Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #1261
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Cute! You're a good doggie mommy my boys are rather spoiled, but I don't take them too many places. They do get to run around outside all they want all day long, so I don't worry too much. My dog door is so helpful!

Sorry it's so cold already! Sounds like a long week. It's going to be cold here by the end of this week. Highs in the 50's!!! : eek: that's quite chilly for me! Brrr!

Have a good day!
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #1262
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Oh! And if you want more stories and reading material from me, I had two journals before this one! They got too big and had to be closed. I'll post the links. That will keep you busy until long after the cows come home.

First journal:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/hc...start-one.html

Second journal:

The Continuing Saga of CherylB's Weight Loss Journey (part 2)

First Horse Lover's thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/be...-need-one.html

Here's one that must have completely freaked people out, cause NO one

replied.:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/em...eres-mine.html

It's so nice to know I have a fan!
Thank you so much for providing the links. As time allows I will definitely check them out and I already know I'll enjoy reading all of them. I find your writing moving in its honesty and thoughtfulness.
I giggled at your fear (snark I assume) that I might be a stalker. I think you can feel safe in that respect despite the fact that I am somewhat obsessed with your writing.
I hope you were able to stay warm and relatively pain free today. One of the main reasons I embarked on this VLC diet was the promise that it might reduce arthritis pain and I realized today that since I started at the beginning of September I've been pain free. I am incredibly encouraged by this and wonder if such an approach might prove helpful to you as well.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #1263
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Lola, yes I was poking fun at you. LC always makes me feel better too but if I don't cook and keep things interesting, I fail on the plan fairly easily. I find it more satisfying than low fat/high carb. That's the only way I can lose on a high carb plan and then it doesn't stop the cravings. I'm "uncommitted."

Julie, you are definitely in the right part of the country if you can't take the cool weather. Not much chance of that out there. I remember when I was in Vegas, I really only needed a sweater in the winter. We had a wood-burning fireplace though and we actually did use it on chilly nights and days.

Here's a copy/paste of my day. I'm going to go rest now. Ttyl.

I am done with another day of work. It was mild in the sun but when I stepped into the shade, I was cold. I needed a jacket and that almost never happens. I couldn't believe how much colder it was in the shade. It was freaky, really. One of the volunteers didn't show and so my plan to free-lunge Red fell by the wayside and I had to grab a wheelbarrow and fork and head for the hills. We got the paddocks done before the sun went down.

The manager and another schooler were there exercising the horses. Everyone got something other than Red so I felt bad I couldn't do the lunging. The manager said she thought Red wasn't feeling well anyway so she wasn't sure she wanted him worked at all. I said I'd come in early tomorrow and try to free-lunge some horses. I've never done that before working a pm shift but I told her I wanted to start to do that. It's time I stepped up to the plate and did more than I'm doing.

While scratching Daphne's itchy spots tonight, she was clearly enjoying it less. I think she's actually feeling better! I hope so. While grooming Red in the cross ties, he almost pooped on my head. First time that ever happened since I was working or volunteering there. I wondered if and when that might occur. I was picking out his back hoof and I heard "plop, plop plop." But he hadn't rolled and was one of THE cleanest horses today so I cut him some slack.

Cowboy was an absolute nightmare. He didn't roll, he laid down on his right side and marinated in the mud. He was dry (mostly) when it came time to clean him, but OMG. He had 5 lbs of dirt on his body. I know because I swept it out of the barn!

I'm very distracted so I'm going to close down this post and pass it on for you to read. If I don't, it will be tomorrow by the time I finish it. Hugs and kisses!
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #1264
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Rest well!
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #1265
Big Yapper!

Yeesh! Tractors are tricky! It was way more complicated than I anticipated and it's going to take lots of "doing" for it to become second nature to me. It's like typing or learning to drive a manual transmission or something like that. Practice, practice, practice. I am certain I will get plenty of practice, too. Now that I know how to use it, I'll be one of three people who do the day-to-day manure moving, etc. There's one other guy but he's almost never around.

I was thinking (before I went there today) that I could bring Cisco when I was going to just use the tractor so she could ride with me in the cab but it's too small for that. A cat would fit or maybe a Boston Terrier or something of that size, but no 50-pounder. Cissy has yet to see where I go when I leave her. One of these days, I'm taking my dog so she can check the place out and can understand why I smell of the things that I smell of.

So after my lesson, I just had to do it over and over again, so I went, one load at a time and moved the "manure pile" to the back field. I said it that way because easily 50% of the pile is nothing but hay. It's ridiculous. I knew we threw a lot of hay away but I never knew how hard it was to actually scoop it into the tractor bucket and cart it out to the field. We aren't getting hay for free. It comes from our fields but a man comes and cuts it and we pay for them. Less than if we bought someone else's hay, but we still pay. And when we run out of our own hay, we buy it from another source.

It gave me a whole new perspective on our waste situation and how unsustainable it is. I will have to come up with a suggestion on how to improve it before our next meeting because it's not going to do any good to just complain about it. I will have to have something constructive to throw out there as an option.

For instance, why don't we use hay nets for the stalls and some form of holder for the paddocks rather than spreading it out on the ground? It's not working! And it took me all of one manure pile to figure that out. The manager's been doing this stuff for ages and she still keeps doing things her way.

It was a mild day and I enjoyed the experience. I just thought it was going to be less stressful and tricky than it was. I kept moving the lever the wrong way, thinking I was tipping the bucket one way and having it tip the other way, etc. I got used to the forward and backward accelerator pedals quick enough, and it felt natural to adjust the thing that controls the rpm's but it was way harder to get the thing moving than I thought it would be. I had the seat all the way forward and I still felt like I needed to put a block on the pedal for next time. I felt like I was always pushing the pedal down with all my effort.

I also expected it to move along a bit faster, too. Putt, putt, putt. I asked him where we got it from and he said it was worth $35K and was from an anonymous donor! Crazy. Then other parts to it were donated from other people, like the rake in the back, the plow blade, etc.

The manager was riding with another girl while I was doing the tractor. It must have felt good for her to see she now has someone else to help her do these tasks. The girl she was riding with said to me, "That's so bad-@$$!" That made me laugh and puffed me up a bit.

That's my tractor story! I will now be doing a lot more volunteer hours cause you don't get paid for moving manure or dragging the arena. Se la vive. We are all expected to put in volunteer time each week, so now I know how to make my volunteer hours count the most.

Have a great night. I am now officially off until Friday at 3pm. PJ's all the way!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #1266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

"She Thinks My Tractor's Sex"

How fun for you!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #1267
Big Yapper!!!!

Nice! Tractor driving seems easy, but definitely sounds challenging! You'll get it! Good job! And kind of you to volunteer too! Rest well (and yes, I'm a weather sissy. Dh is worse, which is why we live out here now ).
Old 12-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #1268
Big Yapper!

I know that song, Debby. "Sexy" is what you meant, I'm sure. My tractor IS sexy, for sure. Even more so because it's not actually mine and I don't have to maintain it. It's amazing how generous some people are when they are able to be generous. It would be so cool to bless people and facilities with things that they desperately need if it didn't put us in the poor house.

Everyone there volunteers their time, it's just a matter of when and how much and in what way. It wouldn't exist if not for volunteer hours, and tons of them. So, as much as I'd like to think I'm being generous, it's just "part of the job."
Old 12-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #1269
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL... I actually looked it up, copy & pasted it to make sure I had it right... didn't notice the y stayed behind!
Yes, it sure is great that so many volunteers keep it going.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #1270
Big Yapper!

I'm a savant when it comes to picking up errors, especially in print. It's a gift and a curse. Anyway, so much for sexy tractors.

It's late and I just decided to check back here to see what I was missing by being somewhere else and turns out I was only missing your one lonely post. I'm glad I checked in, though. I hate to leave unfinished business.

I hope we all have a great night's rest and a super day tomorrow. We have one more mild day, then winter reappears. It's going to get sloppy as well as cold, just in time for me to return to work. If it gets too sucky, I can just duck into the tractor and do things "indoors." I can pretend that's where I'm supposed to be, while whatever volunteer I have does the stuff in the weather. I know. That's cruel. But, it helps me to dream.

Welp, goodnight.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #1271
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
That's neat about the tractor ! Cool that you liked it.... but what a blessing that someone donated it Love that !

Hope you had a good night and get some rest
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #1272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey, you're the 'senior'... so its only right! Besides you'll accomplish so much more with a tractor!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #1273
Big Yapper!!!!

Enough with he cold weather! It's even spreading out here!! highs in the 50's here all week . But, I'm heading to Ca where the highs will at least be in the 60's, even hit the 79's by the time I'm leaving . I'm so spoiled!!

It's nice at those employed at the farm still volunteer too! keep warm my friend!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #1274
Big Yapper!

You're the one who needs to keep warm, Julie! Too funny that you're cold. I'd be in Heaven at those temps. Today it's in the upper 40's, heading for 50 and currently very foggy. I'm happy to have the day off, even though it's only one.

Have a great day, ladies!
Old 12-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #1275
Blabbermouth!!!

morning Cheryl ! You are up early on your day off ! Woohoo ! Enjoy it Waiting for cold front here so I can be in the 40's-50's Should be here after lunch !

Enjoy your day off !
Old 12-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #1276
Big Yapper!

I am looking forward to you having cooler weather, but that same front is bringing much colder weather to us northerners. It will be the end of our mild temps and the return of the frigid ones. Any precip we get after that will be a mix of ice/snow and rain or just plain old snow. They're talking about a mix for the next event. Naturally I'm working that day. Seems like I'm always working.

I need to stop and think about it for at least 10 minutes before I agree to take a shift for someone who asks me to help them out. Granted, I'm doing Saturday for the manager and she's doing my Sunday, but it added to this week's stretch of days for me. Having Sunday off will be nice, though. Any day off is a blessing.

So next week will be: Sunday- Off. Monday- On. Tuesday- On. Wednesday/Thursday/Friday- Off. Saturday- On. (Then Sunday through Tuesday on.) but I'm going to love me that 3-day stretch off next week. I'm going to try and take them all for myself, too. No guilt! None whatsoever.

Have a great day.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #1277
Nat
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nat
Quote:
Originally Posted by julieboolie View Post
That IS crazy! You could hope that the only good symptom of over-thyroid medication would be that you'd drop a few lbs!! Can't win for losing!! I'm glad it's a simple fix though and hope you're feeling better quickly!!

I take cynomel (the Mexican equivalent) and it's got to be much weaker than the real thing. I take 3-4.5 a day if I remember all my doses. I don't have any of those symptoms, and treat to my body temp. It's still not where it *should* be, but I can live w. 97.2 .

Hope you feel better immediately and all the other pieces fall into place .
Julie,

Hi. I just signed up for this board so that I could ask you about your experiences using Mexican Cynomel vs American Cytomel. I was previously on 25mcg of American and 12.5mcg of Mexican per day, which was PERFECT for me, but I ran out of my American scrip and I'm trying to find my "sweet spot" again using only the Mexican brand. Since I ran out about 2 months ago, I've been switching around my dosage and I've gained about 10 lbs. It came on VERY fast, and I'm kind of freaking out. Any advice??

Thank you!

Last edited by Nat; 12-05-2013 at 09:52 AM..
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #1278
Blabbermouth!!!

Sleep well. Glad you will have a stretch of days off next week. WooHoo !!
Old 12-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #1279
Big Yapper!

I'm dreading going to work today. Wet, colder than it's been, and supposed to rain the whole time. Makes me want to do a slap-happy job of it and get out of there asap. I might try to do that. Something tells me that isn't going to be possible.

Nat, Julie has a journal. You'll get a response quicker if you post your question over there. She's pretty busy right now.

Have a nice day, everyone.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #1280
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
I hope your day proves to be more pleasant and more comfortable than you're anticipating Cheryl. And I hope you manage to stay warm and dry. Maybe you'll even find a few laughs here and there and perhaps the handsome, charming vet may pay a surprise visit. Who knows what adventures lie ahead. And at the end of your day you know your warm and cozy house and loving dog await you. May you be well, may you be happy, dear Cheryl.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #1281
Big Yapper!

Thank you.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #1282
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
You're the one who needs to keep warm, Julie! Too funny that you're cold. I'd be in Heaven at those temps. Today it's in the upper 40's, heading for 50 and currently very foggy. I'm happy to have the day off, even though it's only one.

Have a great day, ladies!
Hope all went well!! I'm getting some use out of my down jacket!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
Julie,

Hi. I just signed up for this board so that I could ask you about your experiences using Mexican Cynomel vs American Cytomel. I was previously on 25mcg of American and 12.5mcg of Mexican per day, which was PERFECT for me, but I ran out of my American scrip and I'm trying to find my "sweet spot" again using only the Mexican brand. Since I ran out about 2 months ago, I've been switching around my dosage and I've gained about 10 lbs. It came on VERY fast, and I'm kind of freaking out. Any advice??

Thank you!
I can't really give you advice. It's different for all of us, depending on our hormone levels, activity, diet, thyroid function, metabolism... I'd experiment and see how your symptoms respond. I took my temps too and when I went higher on my and it resulted in headaches, I lowered it again. That's how I found my dose, trial and error, . Sorry! Wish I could help!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #1283
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope your day went well!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #1284
Big Yapper!

I posted a double-header on the horse lover's thread about my day. Rather than post it again over here, feel free to go there and read about it. It was a wet day but not horrible. I'm glad I only have tomorrow left of this wicked run of days for one week. I will not be so quick to say I'll work a shift for someone in the future. (I know I'll have to really work hard at putting that into practice cause I am impulsive and I like to please.)

HUGS! Julie, laughing about that down jacket.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #1285
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I read your posts. Sounds like a good day to me. Got some good communication with the director & manager. May be some good changes coming!
Rest well!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #1286
Big Yapper!

Amen, Debby. You too, sweetie. Sounds like you got a lot done on your day off from work. Not very restful, but productive.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #1287
Blabbermouth!!!

Sleep good Cheryl ! Night !
Old 12-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #1288
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
Hi Cheryl and everyone! I'm freezing in Kentucky! We had a bad ice storm last night and another headed our way tonight.
It's been nice seeing my son. He's well rested now after sleeping from 5pm yesterday til this morning. He needed it! He's happy and seems just fine after the initial shock. When we were in the airplane hangar they handed out cowbells to ring when they marched in and my son said it was too much noise. None of them liked it.
We leave tomorrow at noon, our time. One, your time, Cheryl.
Driving into a wintry mix the further north we get. Ugh!!!
Hope you have been ok. Ttys!

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

"He who the Son sets free is free indeed"

Tammy
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #1289
Big Yapper!

Is he going to go back north with you or does he need to stay there? So glad he's home and getting caught up on his sleep. I can see why they wouldn't have liked all that noise. Can't imagine what they've been through over there all these months. Thank God they are home safely. Please be careful on your way back home with all that ice. We got sleet here last night. It was so cold today that it stayed around on the grass and on my windshield wiper blades. It's really cold but I can't complain, knowing what's happening in other parts of the country. So thankful that we haven't gotten snow yet. I hope we have a "lean snow year."

I just wrote another double-header on the horse lover's thread. Should I post it over here too or do you want to go there and read it? I had a really interesting day lunging two of the horses in the arena. HAIRY.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #1290
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry you had a 'hairy' day. Sounds like it was exciting though.
Enjoy your son Tay! Is he home for good now?