Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #1171
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Enjoy the pizza party. She's too young to have to worry about her health. celebrate this time together.

Hope the snow holds off a while longer. I almost forget that feeling. it'll be 85 tomorrow. This time of year we really have a wide gap in our temps. Hope work was uneventful!
julieboolie is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #1172
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Work was hectic. Cold, windy and chaotic. But it's over now and I came home and took a delightful hot, sudsy bath and I'm feeling at peace with the world. I have become a fan of hot baths since my niece and her partner bought me these fabulous bath "bombs" (not sure what they're called or where to buy them.) I want me some more cause I used all four of them and now I'm going to go through withdrawal. They're that good.

Actually, I will copy/paste about my day over here. It's the least I can do. BRB!
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #1173
Big Yapper!

My Day, by CherylB ~

It was very cold and windy. I showed up at the farm to discover nobody else was there. I went and got the key and let myself in, then signed the clipboard and looked for a note from the manager, with any instructions she might have for me. I read what she wrote and then off I headed to the barn.

The stalls were all set with bedding and the horses were all out in their paddocks but I could see that they were all in the lowest paddocks because of the water situation (freezing water buckets) and the need to keep them closer to the water source. I saw that the goat and mini's were in their areas and I had hoped to find time to take the mini's out and let them walk and graze a while. That didn't happen. At. All.

I let Ellen go out but I don't know if it was the wind or what but she went straight for the area that I have to draw the line at. I went and got her headed back toward the barn and she turned right back around to go there again. I ended up taking her to the barn to her stall and just leaving the run-in door open (lucky her; she's the only barn critter than gets one) and that was the best option under the circumstances. The wind was picking up and I could tell that I had to be prepared for mayhem.

I got the barn stall waters set up and then went about assessing how much hay there was out in the paddocks that was going to be salvageable for the evening "dose." None of it was going to go back in the stalls so at least I knew that we were going to rake and chuck. When the volunteer came, I could just tell her to do that.

I arrived at the farm at 2:30 cause since the time change, I have to get there then or it gets dark before I have things set up to turn them in. Anyway, at 3:15, a volunteer showed up and said she was there for her riding lesson. (Volunteer riding lessons are on Friday afternoons at 4.) This time (as opposed to the last time I was there on a Friday when there were lessons), she knew which horse and what saddle. I went inside to get the tack room key and grab the tack.

God bless this girl but she is clueless. She is there practically EVERY SINGLE DAY and it's beginning to feel like her family should be paying us for keeping her busy. Anyway, the instructor wasn't there yet so naturally I had to do what needed doing. I got the tack and said to her to go up and get Lola and bring her down to be groomed.

Then it dawns on me that Calvin always has to come down into his run-in area when Lola is used cause he can't stand being separated from her, so I stop her on her way up there and tell her the new plan. We get the horses, I put Calvin in his area and I follow her and her horse to the barn. She sees the hay cart and asks if she needs to move it. I tell her to just walk around it and enter the barn. This girl is nothing but questions and anxiety.

I go in and am happily surprised to see that she's got the cross ties in the right place on the halter. She's grooming and it appears to be going fine, then the other volunteer shows up and goes behind the barn to where Red and Daphne are. I didn't know who was coming for a lesson, who they were riding, etc. All I see is someone coming into the farm area and heading back behind the barn. So I follow to see what's up.

This very short lady is putting a halter on Red, a very tall horse. I said, "Hi. Can I help you?" She explains that she's there for a lesson with Red. I said, "Oh! Okay. Just had to figure out what was going on." Remember, it's cold and windy and the horses are on edge. Daphne is standing right beside Red, prepared to jam out that gate along with him. I opened the gate inward to block Daphne and let Red and the volunteer out. I'm that good.

Then Daphne canters off to the far corner of the paddock, calling for Red. Red's in the barn, honey. He's not where you're looking and he won't be for quite some time. We are going to be a while. I'm telling myself that if I ever get these two women and their horses tacked up and on their way and if Daphne is still on high alert, I need to bring her in.

So I see that the girl who is there almost every day doesn't know Jack about tacking, so I take over and teach her. Then I go ask the other lady if she needs help. She's looking for something she can climb up on so she can groom this horse that towers over her maybe 4'8" frame. She grabs the flimsy plastic basin that we use to rinse bits with and I tell her that's not going to work. Anyway, she gets the idea that liability wise, we can't let her stand on something like a chair to groom the horse. She gets it done anyway.

So, my phone is ringing in my bag and I'm washing Red's fanny cause he has a mess to clean up. Red has chronic loose stool issues and I can't let him go out like that. It's even in his tail. But it's cold too so I get some paper towels to try and dry him as best as I can. I'm taking the dirty pail of hot water and the nasty sponge back out the barn and out comes the administrative director to tell me the phone call was from the instructor. She's going to be a half hour late. Well, in my mind, she already IS a half hour late, cause she should be teaching these people how to tack.

So I tell them to take the horses up to the arena and just walk/trot them around from the ground, cause I can't let them mount and the horses never got a warm-up. This worked for a while, til I saw them doing maybe their 20th lap around. I asked them what time it was and they said it was 4:36. They asked if they should bring the horses in and take their tack off cause it was going to be dark soon. I said we had lights for the arena and as soon as they took the horses in, the instructor would show up. Five minutes later, she did.

So what does she thank me for when she's walking up to the arena? For plugging in the extension cord for the arena lights. Did she think these riders magically got their horses ready and up there on their own? I was pissed. I said nothing and hustled to get my work done.

Intermingled with all that and two horse's mates whinnying off and on for their missing partners, other things happened. I'm in the mini pen and I see a car pull up and a man and women start walking toward the house. I'm the only one there at the time so I have to stop and ask if I can help. He's there to see (blank) to buy tickets for the next fundraising thing that's going on. (Blank) isn't there and left a note that she'd be back around 4. It's 3:15. So I go in and call the restaurant to see if they can purchase tickets at the door and it turns out they can. No need to wait for 45 minutes to get them from (blank.) I go and write a note for (blank) and the guy and gal go on their way.

I go outside and (blank) is back and guy and gal are walking up to (blank) and I did all that crap for nothing. No problem. That's what I'm here for. :/ Back to the barn to help the volunteers (all this crap was happening like an avalanche.)

Next in line was a young lady who came to drop off an application. An application for what, I had no clue. I had the bucket of warm dirty water and the sponge from cleaning Red's arse in my hand at the time and I start telling her how to get into the house, walk through the kitchen, turn right, go through that room and head into the office to the right. Instead, I set down the bucket and say, "I'll just take you." Then she says she was there yesterday and so thankfully she knew which office (blank) was in and I could just send her inside to give her application to (blank.)

Next it's 4 o'clock and a woman is talking to me from over the fence. It's the job coach that was waiting for the girl to show up and she wasn't there yet. I had no idea the job coach was there either and I was so caught up in everything else, completely forgot this chick was supposed to come. Thank the Lord, she never came. I might have just signed out and gone to the nearest bar.

End result was all horses got fed and watered and are nice and semi-warm in their shelters, barn was swept out, paddocks got cleaned, and all is right with the world. I came home and was stepping into a scalding-hot bubble bath when I got a text from the manager, asking how things went. I told her I'd talk to her later. I did indeed talk to her later and she's pissed. She's going to talk to the instructor and tell her that she can't leave it all on the barn staff person's shoulders to cover for her on the volunteer riding lesson day. She needs to show up in time to teach all aspects of the lesson, including the retrieval and tacking of said horses.

I'm in my PJ's and feel amazing after my bath. I will live to fight another day. Hope you enjoyed my story. Wish it was shorter and more congealed.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #1174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
What a day!!! Glad you're home unscathed & resting!
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #1175
Big Yapper!

A nephew of mine posted this on Facebook today and as I was reading it, I was saying, "Me, me, me, me, ...." All the way until I got to 12 and 13. Not sure about 13 but I did enjoy nursing school. Can't think of times when I've been happy that someone else failed, so those two don't apply for me. But all the rest DO. This may be the root cause for all my dang issues. Right down to the problems I have relating to other people and how I deal with life in general. Amazing.

14 Signs Your Perfectionism Has Gotten Out Of Control

If you've ever cried about getting a B+ or ending up in second place, there's a good chance you're a perfectionist.

As a culture, we tend to reward perfectionists for their insistence on setting high standards and relentless drive to meet those standards. And perfectionists frequently are high achievers -- but the price they pay for success can be chronic unhappiness and dissatisfaction.

"Reaching for the stars, perfectionists may end up clutching at air," psychologist David Burns warned in a 1980 Psychology Today essay. "[Perfectionists] are especially given to troubled relationships and mood disorders."

Perfectionism doesn't have to reach Black Swan levels to wreak havoc on your life and health. Even casual perfectionists (who may not think of themselves as perfectionists at all) can experience the negative side-effects of their personal demand for excellence. Here are 14 signs that perfectionism could actually be holding you back -- and simple ways to start letting go.

1. You've always been eager to please.

Perfectionism often starts in childhood. At a young age, we're told to reach for the stars -- parents and teachers encourage their children to become high achievers and give them gold stars for work well done (and in some cases, punishing them for failing to measure up). Perfectionists learn early on to live by the words "I achieve, therefore I am" -- and nothing thrills them quite like impressing others (or themselves) with their performance.

Unfortunately, chasing those straight A's -- in school, work and life -- can lead to a lifetime of frustration and self-doubt.

"The reach for perfection can be painful because it is often driven by both a desire to do well and a fear of the consequences of not doing well," says psychologist Monica Ramirez Basco. "This is the double-edged sword of perfectionism."

2. You know your drive to perfection is hurting you, but you consider it the price you pay for success.

The prototypical perfectionist is someone who will go to great (and often unhealthy) lengths to avoid being average or mediocre, and who takes on a "no pain, no gain" mentality in their pursuit of greatness. Although perfectionists aren't necessarily high achievers, perfectionism is frequently tied to workaholism.

"[The perfectionist] acknowledges that his relentless standards are stressful and somewhat unreasonable, but he believes they drive him to levels of excellence and productivity he could never attain otherwise," Burns writes.

3. You're a big procrastinator.

The great irony of perfectionism is that while it's characterized by an intense drive to succeed, it can be the very thing that prevents success. Perfectionism is highly correlated with fear of failure (which is generally not the best motivator) and self-defeating behavior, such as excessive procrastination.

Studies have shows that other-oriented perfectionism (a maladaptive form of perfectionism which is motivated by the desire for social approval), is linked with the tendency to put off tasks. Among these other-oriented perfectionists, procrastination stems largely from the anticipation of disapproval from others, according to York University researchers. Adaptive perfectionists, on the other hand, are less prone to procrastination.

4. You're highly critical of others.

Being judgmental toward others is a common psychological defense mechanism: we reject in others what we can't accept in ourselves. And for perfectionists, there can be a lot to reject. Perfectionists are highly discriminating, and few are beyond the reach of their critical eye.

By being less tough on others, some perfectionists might find that they start easing up on themselves.

"Look not to the faults of others, nor to their omissions and commissions," the Buddha wisely advised. "But rather look to your own acts, to what you have done and left undone."

5. You go big or go home.

Many perfectionists struggle with black-and-white thinking -- you're a success one moment and a failure the next, based on your lastest accomplishment or failure -- and they do things in extremes. If you have perfectionist tendencies, you'll probably only throw yourself into a new project or task if you know there's a good chance you can succeed -- and if there's a risk of failure, you'll likely avoid it altogether. Studies have found perfectionists to be risk-averse, which can inhibit innovation and creativity.

For perfectionists, life is an all or nothing game. When a perfectionist sets her mind to something, her powerful drive and ambition can lead her to stop at nothing to accomplish that goal. It's unsurprising, then, that perfectionists are at high risk for eating disorders.

6. You have a hard time opening up to other people.

Author and researcher Brene Brown has called perfectionism a "20-ton shield" that we carry around to protect ourselves from getting hurt -- but in most cases, perfectionism simply prevents us from truly connecting with others.

Because of their intense fear of failure and rejection, perfectionists often have a hard time letting themselves be exposed or vulnerable, according to psychologist Shauna Springer.

"It is very hard for a perfectionist to share his or her internal experience with a partner," Springer writes in Psychology Today. "Perfectionists often feel that they must always be strong and in control of their emotions. A perfectionist may avoid talking about personal fears, inadequacies, insecurities, and disappointments with others, even with those with whom they are closest."

7. You know there's no use crying over spilt milk... but you do anyway.

Whether it's burning the cookies or being five minutes late for a meeting, the perfection-seeking tend to obsess over every little mistake. This can add up to a whole lot of meltdowns, existential crises, and grown-up temper tantrums. When your main focus is on failure and you're driven by the desire to avoid it at all costs, even the smallest failure is evidence for a grand thesis of personal failure.

"Lacking a deep and consistent source of self-esteem, failures hit especially hard for perfectionists, and may lead to long bouts of depression and withdrawal in some individuals," writes Springer.

8. You take everything personally.

Because they take every setback and criticism personally, perfectionists tend to be less resilient than others. Rather than bouncing back from challenges and mistakes, the perfectionist is beaten down by them, taking every misstep as evidence for the truth of their deepest, continually plaguing fear: "I'm not good enough."

9. ... And you get really defensive when criticized.

You might be able to pick out a perfectionist in conversation when they jump to defend themselves at even the slightest hint of a criticism. In an effort to preserve their fragile self-image and the way they appear to others, a perfectionist tries to take control by defending themselves against any threat -- even when no defense is needed.

10. You're never quite "there yet."

Because perfection is, of course, an impossible pursuit, perfectionists tend to have the perpetual feeling that they're not quite there yet. Self-described perfectionist Christina Aguilera told InStyle in 2010 that she focuses on all the things she hasn't yet accomplished, which gives her a drive to constantly out-do herself.

"I am an overachiever and an extreme perfectionist," Aguilera said. "I would like to do more film and I feel that I still have yet to acquire the type of success that I desire. I’m sure there will definitely be a place that I will be at peace with knowing I’ve accomplished a lot.”

11. The image below makes you nervous. (It's just a list with check boxes next to "Excellent, Good, Average and Poor and the box next to Average is checked.)

12. You take pleasure in someone else’s failure, even though it has nothing to do with you.

Misery loves company, and perfectionists -- who spend a lot of time and energy thinking and worrying about their own failure -- can find relief and even pleasure in others' failures. For a moment, taking pleasure in someone else's shortcomings might make you feel better about yourself, but in the long term, it only reinforces the kind of competitive and judgmental thinking that perfectionists thrive on.

13. You get secretly nostalgic for your school days.

Some people hated school, but you loved it, because success was quantifiable -- you had assignments, grades, feedback, and a teacher whose job it was to provide positive feedback and a pat on the back for a job well-done. You might have been a teacher's pet, or maybe you were voted “Most likely to succeed” in the yearbook. The structure of school and easy equation of "work hard, do well, be rewarded" is a comfort for most perfectionists.

In the real world, success is measured differently. Everything is structured differently. And while you might not ever tell anyone, there’s a part of you that misses that world where it was possible to get an A+ and call it a day.

14. You have a guilty soul.

Underneath it all, perfectionists are often plagued by guilt and shame. Maladaptive perfectionism -- a drive to perfection that generally has social roots, and a feeling of pressure to succeed that derives from external, rather than internal, sources -- is highly correlated with depression, anxiety, shame and guilt.

"Perfectionism is not about striving for excellence or healthy striving," Brown told Oprah. "It's… a way of thinking and feeling that says this: 'If I look perfect, do it perfect, work perfect and live perfect, I can avoid or minimize shame, blame and judgment.'"

Brown's remedy? Try practicing authenticity. Let others see you, exactly as you are, and let go of the protecting shield of perfectionism in order to express vulnerability.

"Authenticity is a practice and you choose it every day," she says, "sometimes every hour of every day."
Old 11-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #1176
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
What a day you had ! Hot sudsy baths are wonderful.....we should all pamper ourselves a little more....

Headed to Houston ! ttyl !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #1177
Big Yapper!!!!

Sorry for the rough day, but I'm glad you made the right choice at the end of it! hot bath beats bar!! Good job!! And perfectionism is definitely a good thing taken too far. We can pursue excellence without all the negative obsessive choices. Good to be aware of the down sides and dangers of it, but balance is a good thing!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #1178
Big Yapper!

Yep! You got that right.

Working today. Sunny and in the upper 40's. They are predicting snow flurries tomorrow morning. It will warm back up over the rest of the week.

I've been drooling in my sleep. I hate that! I flipped the pillow over during the night because I'd drooled on both ends of it, a few times. I wish we could all see ourselves as we're fast asleep. It would be so funny.

I have nothing else to report for now. BBL after work. I hope we each have a lovely day.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #1179
Big Yapper!

Windy and cold today. No "volunteers" but had a girl who works (or is supposed to be working) with her "job coach." What a joke. I spoke with the program director about the situation before leaving the farm tonight. She said that was not acceptable and she would handle it. She's seen the job coach inside and spending her time on her computer and stuff while the girl is outdoors. Why she didn't say something to the coach is beyond me. But now that I've complained and told her how it is from my perspective, maybe she's gotten the full picture.

I also found out (after I got to the farm) that the equine manager emailed the program director about last Friday with the whole volunteer lessons complicating my day and her being very late, yada yada yada. Emailed her about it? Maybe that would have been nice to know about before I went to work today. Just sayin'.

OMG. I just acted out on pure impulse and ended up in the bath tub. I am becoming a bath addict! And so late in life, too. My poor landlady isn't going to be so happy, since she pays the water bill. So sorry....

It helps me relax and loosens up my aching back. I feel almost crippled sometimes from my back issues. Getting in and out of the car, especially after work is very difficult. I find myself pressing on an area of my lower back (or upper butt, if you will) while I'm walking around the farm. It's not sciatica cause it's not something that goes down my leg. It's all back!

If I get sick and tired of being sick and tired, I'll quit complaining and "get back on the horse." Ya know? A-ha.

I'm wearing my second set of new PJ's tonight. They are SO SOFT and so comfy and it's like a giant night shirt. The others were a top and bottom. This is just one of those pull-over-your-head things. Very long, too. Love it.

I sound like a total narcissistic nincompoop, don't I? I think it's good, though. I'm learning there are other ways to indulge aside from food. God doth have a plan for me. And it is gooooood.

That's all the news I have to report. Horses all tucked in and have all their needs met, goat got to roam and mini's got a little grazing in after being turned-out into a paddock for the day (almost no grass to be had in there.) They would have gotten to graze longer but I noticed Calvin getting fed up with the wind on the hill and I knew it was time to bring them all in.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #1180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Cheryl,
Sounds like all's well that ends well for you today. Sounds great, to discover the pleasures of the hot bath & cozy PJ's. It really is something, that there are wonderful pleasures outside of 'eating'... we get so mesmerized (well some of us have) by food, that its the only thing we can think of... so good when the addiction starts breaking & other rays can shine the light on us. Exercise is that for me... never believed that I could enjoy exercise!!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #1181
Big Yapper!

That's wonderful, Debby! If that ever happens to me (exercise), I will be one happy camper. Sleep well.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #1182
Big Yapper!!!!

I agree it's great to find "healthy" things to enjoy!! Cozy jammie's after a warm bath? Sounds like a great indulgence!! Relaxing, and calming. sorry it's already so cold!! Brrr. Sun becomes more and more valuable through the winter!!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #1183
Big Yapper!

Yep! Sunshine warms the soul, too. Speaking of which, it is grey and cold and windy today but supposed to warm back into the 50's after tomorrow. I will be wearing full winter gear at the farm today. Hat and coat, at least. Maybe not a scarf.

We worked out a dinner for Thanksgiving! We are going out to a very nice buffet where they have everything from Crab legs to roast beef to Chinese food to pizza, and all sorts of deserts as well. Very inexpensive, too. I've never been there so it will be a new experience for me. They are closed on Thanksgiving day so we are celebrating there on Wednesday; the day before. WHICH freed me up to take the pm feed shift from the girl who does it every Thursday, which lets her enjoy her Thanksgiving meal with her family. Everybody wins! And I'll make a little extra money to boot.

That's all the news for now. Bbl after work. No doubt the horses are going to be wanting to come in shortly after I get there, so it might be an early night for me. I can't leave them out when they start staring me down and running around in anticipation of going to their shelters. That's just mean.

So, ttyl. Hope you're all having a nice day.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #1184
Big Yapper!

Pics of tonight's farm sunset. These are the best of them and even they are blurry. Try and use your imagination. It was breath-taking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (13.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (21.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (25.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (19.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 11-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #1185
Big Yapper!

Posted the pics but not the story of my day! Here it is:

Today was a trial-run for winter. It was very cold and very windy. I wore a hat and it felt like I didn't have any hat on at all cause the wind felt like it was blowing right through it at times. I wore a coat but that too was only "just so" effective.

Usually, things would have been done up to a point on a day like today, but the manager said she was alone and it took her six hours to do the morning chores. So when I got there, the stalls still hadn't had their bedding spread back out, their waters were still empty and buckets laying around, hoses all put away (to keep them from freezing), etc. Paddock buckets were plugged in but I had to dump, unplug and haul them all into the grain room before I left, then I had to fill and plug in all the stall buckets.

It was a bit like madness. And the horses were ready to come in from the moment I got out of the car at 2:30. I brought them in only after I passed out their hay and got their stall buckets filled and plugged in. That took a surprisingly long amount of time because I stopped to clean out the mini's shelter first (So I could give them their dinner hay). Bad idea, but in hindsight, I think it was the best course of action. There is no light over there when the sun goes down.

So the horses got brought in just before 4pm and poor Charmed was whinnying at me every time I was near where he was standing. I kept saying, "I know! I'll be right there, honey!" They all had their turn-out sheets on and thankfully all I had to do was check them to make sure they were on right and not twisted or too tight on their chests. Only minor tweaking necessary.

The farm's founder came to school one or two of the horses and she had a companion but it was just too cold and when they were out riding in the fields, I guess the horses were just too jumpy. They came back into the arena and rode a bit longer then they gave up and brought the horses back into their stalls for the night.

It was so cute when she was riding by me. She said, "You know it's cold when even CHERYL's wearing a coat!" I said, "And a hat too!"

So anyway, I could have filled the duplex stall buckets with a bucket of water brought from the spigot or I could hook up one of the hoses that were in the grain room. I opted for the hose, but had to attach it and fill two buckets, then take it off and attach it to the other spigot and fill the other two buckets. I started to wonder if maybe I should have just used the bucket like we did last winter, but trust me! That gets old quick.

I invested my own $30 and bought one of those shrinking garden hoses and a bucket and some plumber's tape (to wrap around the spigot threads for a tighter seal.) I haven't tried it yet but I think I can save my back and a lot of frustration if I can make it work. I can keep the bucket with hose in the kitchen's utility closet, and just hook it up to fill the four stall buckets in the duplexes. It might help me also to fill the mini's paddock water too. And then I won't have to lug that big heavy hose around. When I'm done, disconnect, drain, put in the bucket and put back in the house. We'll see how that works in reality.

Another thing that will be cool using this hose is that for the barn stall waters, I can run the hose from the hot water spigot on the side of the house and I can start out their waters with half hot, half cold before we even plug them in. We always do that in the winter, but it's always been done by lugging buckets. I wish we had a hot-water source for the duplex stalls up on the hill.

I took some pics of a lovely sunset tonight! I don't know if any of them came out well cause they were taken with my cellphone. I will post this and then download the pics. If I can share them after that, I will do that pronto.

I'm off for three days!! And tomorrow is payday!! And I don't have to even leave this house until Thursday around 3 pm to go lead Lola in a lesson!! Can you tell that I'm happy? Woohooo!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #1186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Beautiful sunset!
Good for you, 3 days off. Thanksgiving solution sounds good! No work-no dishes!! xtra pay!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #1187
Big Yapper!

Yep! Exactly. Everybody wins! I am very satisfied with how everything is turning out. And it makes me happy to take that shift for the young girl so she can spend the holiday with her family. No skin off my nose, as they say!

Goodnight, ladies. Heading off to relax now. Sweet dreams.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #1188
Blabbermouth!!!

That was very sweet of you to work for her ! Nice !!

Hope you spending that money does help you at work . Could be an awesome investment.

Hope you have a great 3 days off and get some rest and lots of hot baths

ttyl !
Old 11-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #1189
Big Yapper!

Thank you, Laura. Kind of you to think of me while on your little maiden voyage in the Texas Hill Country! I'm with you in spirit. It made me really happy to be able to offer to do that for the girl who works every Thursday. In fact, Thursdays, she does a double. Thursday pm is her only afternoon shift. I believe that things work out for a reason and since we are going to celebrate the holiday the day before, I'm happy to give that afternoon off to her. I'm sure it will be a special Thanksgiving for her and her family.

Ours will be the first of its kind but I'm thinking it will be a cool new tradition. If not something we'll do every year, it's nice to know we CAN enjoy a dinner out. That will take some of the pressure off me and my eldest sister Robin so maybe we will find it easier to actually do the holiday dinner once in a while, to mix things up (knowing we won't ALWAYS have to do them.) A collective sigh of relief!

I'm awaiting the pot roast I started cooking about 3 hours ago. I keep checking it and the meat just doesn't have that falling-apart characteristic I'm going for. I waited until the 2-hour mark to add the raw veggies and when I checked everything an hour later, it was still looking like it all needed more time. So I dropped the temperature a bit and gave it another hour. Hoping!!!! Need FOOD. Patience is not my strong suit.

I got paid today so I did the division for the next 14 days to see how much I had to spend each day to not run out of cash by the next payday. I have $20/day. I went over today by about $4 but I think I'll be eating the pot roast tomorrow and won't spend nearly as much tomorrow. I also have to consider that I might need some gasoline in about a week. That's got to come out of the daily dribbles.

I feel good knowing what I have to work with and knowing it's only for two weeks. An extra shift here and there makes a big difference. Todays paycheck was my first net payday from the farm that broke $300! (Partly because they forgot to pay me my new pay rate in the last paycheck and they gave me the extra this week.)

POT ROAST!!! Cook perfectly and be perfectly seasoned and juicy and full of goodness!!! I will be eating you for the next three days so DON'T LET ME DOWN!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #1190
Blabbermouth!!!

I cook mine 5-6 hours on 350 ... falls apart !
Old 11-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #1191
Big Yapper!

I just ate some and although it's not fall-apart tender, I'm very happy with how it all tastes. I'm going back for more! Next time I'll cook in at a lower temperature for much longer. And I'll wait to do the veggies until after the THIRD hour instead of the 2nd. Still yummy!
Old 11-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #1192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 11-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #1193
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Right back at ya, honey.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #1194
Big Yapper!

I just got some welcome news! It looks like I won't have to go and lead Lola in the 3:45 lesson tomorrow after all! They have a cancellation and the leader for Big Red can lead Lola instead. Oh, happy day. I get three REAL days off, all in a pretty little row.

Last edited by CherylB; 11-13-2013 at 08:56 PM..
Old 11-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #1195
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's great!! the one 'blotch' on your days off is gone!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #1196
Big Yapper!

Yep! The blotch is gone! The temps have warmed to the 40's today and it's still sunny but it looks breezy. I'm in full "days off mode."

I need to trot over to your journal to see how you're doing today. Bbl.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #1197
Big Yapper!!!!

Enjoy those days off. I hear ya on the roast.mfalling apart is the only way I like it!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #1198
Big Yapper!

Last lazy day for this week. Three days are perfect. Almost feels like a vacation! Thermometer says it's in the low 50's today. So glad after a cold snap, we get a warm snap (can't think of a better word for snap when it applies to the warm periods. Was going to say zap but that's too intense for such a lovely thing.)

There's some stupid machine outside that is sucking leaves (I'm assuming) out of the storm drains. It's this loud, never-ending drone. Can't wait til they move on down the road.

I have more left-over pot roast for today. I'll be able to kill what's left, I'm sure. It really did come out nice. Need to write down what I did and just remember I cooked it longer and should wait an hour later to put the veggies in.

Bird feeders are still waiting for me to fill them. I might do that today, if I can work up some ambition. Ambition! I knew I was missing something. Time to go brew a pot of coffee. Ttyl, ladies.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #1199
Big Yapper!!!!

Perfect Fall weather . I just refilled my hummingbird feeders yesterday. While I was making it, they were hovering by where they used to be. It was quite comical .

Enjoy your last peaceful day off!
Old 11-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #1200
Big Yapper!

Aw! Happy Hummers! They're enjoying the Fall weather, too. They are like large bees, zipping by. I don't get a good look at any in my yard. They're there and gone too quickly. And they never liked my home-made (or rather store-made) hummer food. I guess they preferred the natural things around the yard, like the yellow trumpet flower bush in the back.

I am enjoying my last day off. It feels like how it must be for those people who work a regular Monday-Friday job, when they get a three-day weekend due to a Monday holiday. I feel very rested and ready to head back to work tomorrow.

I hope everyone reading this has a lovely evening, too. Sleep tight.