Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #91
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Tammy, I just went back and read the texts. You said "it's NOT pneumonia" and then the next thing you wrote was that the Dr was reviewing the x-rays and said maybe pneumonia in the left lower lobe and Bronchitis. I guess the "it's NOT pneumonia" made a lasting impression and the other part did not.

Julie~ "Protect the place while I'm gone": I wish she would but she's just the kind of dog that barks at people who are walking down the street past the house because they aren't coming over to pet her. Maybe you're right, though. Her bark does have a seriousness about it.

Sorry about the gas grill problems. Grilling is so great. I hope he can get it fixed soon. Tis the season! And as far as gardening in AZ, I hear ya! You should really check out those things I bought. They are called "City Pickers." They aren't that expensive, either.

Have a nice day, everyone. Tammy, hope Chloe continues to improve. Totally understand about keeping info on the down-low with the military. Been there before and know all about it. Hope God is giving you peace.

Laundry day for me! I ran out of dryer sheets and forgot to buy more so I'll throw some second-hand ones in there and will hope for the best. Static cling is a bummer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
I had my first incident at the farm today. I had two well-seasoned volunteers with me and they were knocking off paddocks and stuff left and right. We had a little extra time and I have been feeling bad for the three minis. They have no grass in their area and it drives them literally insane having the grass just out of reach. Domenic had his @$$ (no pun intended) against the metal fence and he was trying to bust it down! I kid you not.

So I had the two ladies go with me into the mini pen with their halters and lead ropes and each with a handful of grass. We managed to get their halters on but Candy was the toughest. She kept trotting away. It wasn't my idea to take Candy but somehow when the halters were being handed out, that's the one I received. Truthfully, I don't know which goes to who cause we almost never apply them.

We lead the minis out into a sunny area with lush grass. We stood there letting them munch and I also let our goat Ellen out so she could roam and graze. She came over to be with us but she ended up head-butting Candy, then she went to her own little area. Was all for the best.

The volunteers on Sunday are a mother/daughter duo. The mother said, "Should I go get some brushes? Maybe we can groom them at the same time." I said yes and she came back with brushes and a shedding blade. These minis are not used to being handled. I should have seen this developing but I didn't.

So in the meantime, I'm simply trying to touch Candy. She's ready to bolt with even the slightest twitch of her lead rope or touch from me. Slowly she starts to accept my touch and I use my bare hand and stroke down her back and shake off the masses of shedding fur.

The mother gives me this pitiful glove that has little knobs on it. I give it a whirl and quickly decided it wasn't worth a damn. So I took the shedding blade and slowly began grooming her on her left side. This was the side that her mane naturally cascades down on, so I really couldn't groom her neck at all. She has very dense mane.

So she let me shed blade her entire left side. When I went to slowly walk around her face to the right side of her, she got that panicked ready-to-flee look in her eyes. I soothed her and went very slowly, then she relaxed and started to eat grass again. I bent over (she's a mini, remember) and started to brush her neck and suddenly WHAM! Her head hit my head like a baseball bat hitting a ball.

I had an instant shot of pain and I said, "That's going to be a concussion!" I instinctively put my hand to my head and then all of a sudden, blood started streaming off my head and onto the ground. It was running down my arm and dripping all over my shirt. I said, "Let's put them back into their stalls" and just started walking to the nearest gate that would allow me to get into the house and see what had happened.

I have about a 3/4" long slice just above the bridge of my nose. It's all swollen between my eyes and my eyebrows but the blood and gore is over. I haven't got a headache and there's no sign of a bruise yet, but I'm thinking it's going to look a hell of a lot worse tomorrow. I'll probably forget about it and then scream when I look into the mirror!

I iced it and did first aid at the farm, then put a round bandaid with neosporin on it. Thank God I had those two veteran volunteers. However, if I hadn't had them, the minis would have stayed in their paddock. I create most of the madness in my own world. Ever feel that way?

I'm so thankful that she didn't impact my nose cause it would have been broken for sure. I did check Candy and looked all over her head and I didn't see a thing wrong with her, so the damage was all mine. OMG, ladies. It was a gusher! A horror flick before my very eyes.

Happy Cinco De Mayo!
Sorry I haven't stopped in lately. Wasn't getting notified.? Glad you are ok! Faces bleed so much!! Scary! Be careful! Glad you are getting more hours and learning a lot, painful though those lessons are! Hope your Spring continues to be enjoyable!
julieboolie is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #92
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
That's weird that you weren't seeing activity over here. There was a lot to catch up on, huh! My face is fine now. Tender in the impact zone but healing well. The bruise (or hematoma) that affected my left eye is vanishing rapidly. I never did get a headache, which was a wonderful thing.

MY DAYS OFF ARE HERE!!! I earned 'em, too. It's drizzly today but I think the biggest wash-out day is behind us. I could be wrong so I'll have to turn on the Weather Channel. But the sky definitely looks brighter, though over-cast. I hope they don't have another day like yesterday.

Have a great day, ladies.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
Hello! Enjoy your days off. You really earned them!
My ds was texting my dd last night for a while. He hasn't reached his "final destination" yet. He's having trouble calling home. I can just imagine how frustrating that must be. He said he can't find an organization to connect him to Pittsburgh. I wish I could help him.
Chloe is back to herself again. The "terrible two's" are setting in! Everything is NO and she runs away from us. I'm glad this passes! I'm wore out by the end of the day! LOL She finishes her Ampicillin tomorrow. I think that's what it's called.
Well have to go! ttys!

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

"He who the Son sets free is free indeed"

Tammy
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #94
Big Yapper!

He'll be able to contact you shortly, Tammy. The terrible two's are the pits, aren't they? That's probably as bad as anything I go through at the farm, as frustration goes. Better you than me.

I hope you're feeling better now, Tammy. It will get easier. I'm going to go run to the store. Hope it waits to rain until I get home. I'm just heading to the nearby store. Just odds and ends.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Odds and ends are what cost so much! Atleast it seems that way. :/
I always say a loaf of bread will cost $5 at the gas station! LOL
I had to take dh to the dentist. He has a tooth in the back he's going to get pulled Thursday of next week. He has Amoxicillin to take til then. Thats where I need to go. I need a cleaning bad! It's free too!
I'm feeling ok about the deployment right now. Til he gets to his destination. Then all hell breaks loose. Kwim?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #96
Big Yapper!

Let's believe that all hell won't break loose when he gets there. Sorry about dh's tooth. Good thing he's taking the antibiotic before hand. A free cleaning? Yea! I need one of those, too.

My little shopping trip cost just over $100. And I bought some stuff that had discounted stickers on them, due to the meat's date. I got some lunch meat (turkey and ham) and a NY Strip steak. That steak was only $4 after the $3 off. I think I will grill it this week. I wonder if I need to marinate it. Not familiar with NY strip. Are you? Is anyone out there?

It's been raining this afternoon like it was yesterday. I'll bet they held the riding lessons as they did yesterday. I didn't check the website to see if things were cancelled. Don't care! I'm comfy at home.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Hi Cheryl,
I looked up your NY Strip steak... wasn't familiar with it... also called club stk. It came up with recipe for marinating... so I guess that's a yes.

Glad you're having a relaxing day & that you got some good groceries.
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #98
Big Yapper!

Thanks, Debby. I definitely am enjoying my lazy day. Everything is so GREEN outside. Such a huge change from how things looked only a few weeks ago. Green has become my favorite color over the course of my life. I remember when I was young that I didn't care for green on anything but natural things. Now green is good no matter where it is! (Not teeth, though).
Old 05-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Its getting greener by the day here too. So wonderful.
Yup, green teeth no good.

How was your steak?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #100
Big Yapper!

Didn't make it yet. Probably won't for a few days. I'll let you know!
Old 05-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #101
Big Yapper!

Just googled and found this recipe (well, method of grilling and an idea of whether it will be yummy or not.)

New York Strip is one of our favorite steaks to grill. Grill recipes for steak don’t get any easier than this! As with grilling filet mignon, less is more when grilling new york strip steaks. The best way to grill these kinds of steaks is over direct high heat. This method seals in the juices and cooks the steak quickly, not allowing the steak to dry out. Below are step by step instructions on how to grill a new york strip steak.

Grill Method: Direct grilling over high heat with the lid open.
Grilling Time: About 8 minutes total for a 1″ thick New York Strip steak.

Ingredients:
New York Strip Steak
Garlic Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper

Directions:
1.Approximately 45 minute before you are ready to grill your new york strip steaks, take them out of the fridge and rub in some garlic salt and fresh ground pepper. Leave them on the counter to let them warm to room temperature.

2.Preheat the grill on high for direct grilling.

3.Clean your grill with a grill brush.

4.Hold your hand about 2 inches above the grill and see if the temperature is right. For gas grilling steaks over high heat, you don’t want to be able to hold your hand over the grill for more than 5 seconds. Don’t try to be tough, you know when it is hot!

5.Place the new york strip steaks on the grill with tongs. NEVER pierce the skin of the steaks with a fork!

6.After about 2 minutes, use tongs to pick up the steaks, rotate 90 degrees and then place the steaks back on the grill for those nice grill marks.

7.After 2 more minutes, you are ready to flip the steaks. Pick them up and flip them over. This is the only time you are going to flip the steaks (we told you this was easy).

8. After another 2 minutes, rotate the new york strip steaks another 90 degrees.

9.Now grill them for a final 2 minutes and they should be ready. Take the grilled steaks off the grill and let them rest for at least 5 minutes before serving. You can always stick them back on the grill for a few minutes if they aren’t done enough.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I only eat NY Strip steaks.....so good! Enjoy it!
I'm watching Oliver and Company with Chloe and my dd. I have a VCR/DVD player so she can watch all these Disney VCR movies I have from when my kids were young.
Talk to ya later!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #103
Big Yapper!

You too! Enjoy movie night!
Old 05-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Chloe loved Oliver and then we watched Paulie and she liked that one.
I'm going to the dr soon. My toenails are purple, swollen feet and legs. My legs and feet swelled badly a couple weeks ago (went down alot) but didn't know about my nails bc I had polish on them. So going to dr and also getting my shoulder looked at. Thats been hurting for a few weeks.
It's going to rain soon. There are dark clouds moving in. Well....already raining! LOL There's a little thunder too.
Watching Chloe tonight so dd's bf can take her out for Mother's Day since he works Sunday. She's with me every night anyways. My dd tried to keep her in her room the night before last and Chloe cried. I give her all my attention and I don't have my phone in my hands constantly. You'd think my dd would know thats why she is in my room all the time.
Gonna go for now. ttys!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tay65 View Post
Chloe loved Oliver and then we watched Paulie and she liked that one.
I love "Paulie"... so cute. I watched it again with grand-kiddo's a month or two ago... very entertaining.

Hope your day went well. And tomorrow's training.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #106
Big Yapper!

Oh, yeah! I remember Paulie! Very cute movie.

I have been asked to come into work at 0930 tomorrow because they have a call-out for the morning sessions. Saturday morning are lessons for the kids and they either need me in the arena or in the barn. I said I'd go, since I was going to be there at noon anyway. They're stuck so I really have a hard time just saying, "Oh freaking well! Too bad. I can't make it. SORRY!"

A little later on, I got an email saying that it would be paid time and that she (the office manager) really appreciated me coming in. So, a little extra money will be nice.

Night, ladies. I'm hoping to be nearly asleep by around 11. That's pushing it but maybe by midnight? I've been waking up earlier these past few days so maybe the Lord has been preparing me for these times. He knows what He's doing.

Sleep tight, everyone.

PS: I washed my car today. Hand washed in the driveway with hose and bucket of hot water and Dawn dish washing liquid. Scrubbed and allowed to dry (overcast sky; perfect car-washing weather.) Then I sprayed this foaming rim cleaning stuff on the wheels and then scrubbed all the chrome. OMG! That stuff works fantastic! Like oven cleaner without the fumes.

Then I waxed the car and rubbed it all down and I was so exhausted I was left wondering why I even bothered to start this project in the first place. I felt like that is what I would be doing in order to sell it. I mean, the grime was so thick that taking it through a car wash never puts a dent into it. But I'm WASTED after all that work.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Way to go Cheryl, sounds like you got your exercise & the great feeling of accomplishment from hand-cleaning your car.

I'm glad you're going to get paid for going to the farm. That's a bonus. Have a good sleep!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #108
Big Yapper!

Thanks! You too.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite! LOL
Have a nice day tomorrow!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
I love "Paulie"... so cute. I watched it again with grand-kiddo's a month or two ago... very entertaining.

Hope your day went well. And tomorrow's training.
Tonight was a Blue's Clues night! Tomorrow we'll watch Toy Story! IF she likes it! LOL

Old 05-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #111
Big Yapper!

Home again from the farm. Did side-walking for one student and it drizzled the whole time. Just another day. Then helped with the orientation that started after 12. They really didn't need me once they got to the outdoor part, so I went and brushed the goat (she enjoyed it.) She got so jazzed that she started head butting me and couldn't stop! I'm glad I made her happy.

I am glad to be home and look forward to tomorrow being over. Then no more mornings for me for a while. Will avoid them like the plague.

I'm going to have to start claiming the manager as a dependent because the woman literally "runs on Dunkin' ". She actually called me yesterday afternoon to ask me to bring her a coffee when I came in this morning. I got it for her then I'm walking up to her and she's already got a coffee in her hand. "Oh, I got up at 6:30." This is getting old. She gets me a coffee sometimes, but usually she offers when I'm done and want to go the heck home. Next time I'm going to tell her the funds are low.

I'm getting really tired of the drama there. I don't know if I'm a good fit at their farm. I'm going to spend some time seriously considering if I want to keep working there. They can't stay with one plan. Things are in constant flux.

Going to the horse thread to ***** a little, but my heart isn't in it. I really just need to do some thinking about what I want and what I can handle. Maybe 4 afternoons a week is just wearing me too thin. Three would be so much better.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, do what works for you. You don't want to wear yourself thin. Don't let them make you feel guilty either. You deserve to be happy too.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #113
Big Yapper!

Thanks, Tammy. How was your Saturday? I'm about to try and take my meds and get to sleep early. I need to be at the farm by about 7:45. OY! One day won't kill me. Please, Lord. Hold back the rain!
Old 05-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #114
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Sorry its been rainy, but green is so nice! I miss that! Sorry you have been unhappy at the farm. Finding a job with horses was such a dream of yours. I am glad you are thinking long and hard about it. The money and animal experience is so valuable. Maybe you could gently discuss your concerns with them? Make some suggestions?

Hope you have a nice weekend! We celebrated w, a yummy dinner out today, since tomorrow will be my mom's celebration. It will be a fun family day.

On the steak... I recommend a marinade, a simple italian dressing would help tenderize it. I got some cheap this week, and made steak fajitas with it. Made a rub out of chili pwder, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper and a bit of cayenne, let it set on the count for 30 min then cooked it on the stovetop for 6 min each side. Sauteed onions andnred bell peppers at the end, let steak rrest 5 min then sliced agaianst the grain for more tender meat. Added to tortillas for the fam w/ cheese and sour cream, had mine in a bowl.
julieboolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #115
Big Yapper!

YUMMY! Sounds like a good way to make a steak. I still have mine in the refrigerator. It's rained for 3 days straight so no grilling for me. I haven't got a covered porch on the side entry where the bbq grill is.

I'm glad you had a nice dinner out to celebrate your motherhood. Have fun with your mom tomorrow.

I will give it time. I know things can hit a slump and things were going well until this awful rain system (and then the one that followed) came back-to-back. But truth be told, I hate working when Program is going on. I avoided it like the plague when I was a volunteer. Each semester, they would have different days for the classes and I'd shift my volunteer time accordingly. I hope to God they change things up next semester.

An odd thing happened out of my misery today. I went on Craigslist and low and behold, there was an ad placed from the same Dr (Vet) that I interviewed with last summer. I was so po'd that they never got back to me but I'm willing to let bygones be bygones if it means I can branch out into something more medical, dealing with animals. I emailed him, reminded him it was me, told him I was working PT at the farm that was formerly a volunteer gig and that I want to get back into a more medical environment. Honestly, after the way they didn't give me the time of day, I want to flip them off as much as I want to be given a chance to work in that position. Either one would be satisfying.

Took my pm meds at 2100 and I have to sign off the computer asap. I have to rest and breathe and bring in the night. I have to get up at the ungodly hour of 0700. I tend to hit the snooze a few times. I can not be there any later than 0750 cause the animals eat at 0800. Yep! We keep a tight schedule.

Wish me luck, pray the regular volunteers show up (even though it's mother's day) and pray that I can get adequate rest in between the morning and afternoon shifts. I'll shoot home in between and then go back for 3:30. I believe it will be well. No rain in the forecast!

Sleep well, friends. Will talk again tomorrow at some point.

Last edited by CherylB; 05-11-2013 at 06:26 PM..
Old 05-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds like a tough day. You're probably right, just too many days in a row & mornings aren't for you. Glad you're not as frustrated as you were. Tiredness does that.
Its raining here too... glad we didn't take the bike... dh wanted to!
Good night, sleep well my friend.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #117
Big Yapper!

Hello, ladies. I am half done with my double shift! I got to the farm at 0750 and the horses were all ready and waiting to be fed. I had two volunteers that came around 0830 so they made it easy to clean up the stalls and turn the horses out into their paddocks. I have decided that anytime they want me to do a Sunday morning, I'm game. (As long as it's not a rainy period. Then I will think long and hard before being flexible.)

I came home around 11:30 and took Cisco to the Fish and Game. (I'm sorry, Debby. I can't talk about Cisco without feeling a pang of guilt. I know how much it still hurts that Shelby is gone.) I figured if I was going to be gone most of the day, she needed some of my time.

We went swimming! Well, she did. I let my feet dangle in the water but that's as far as I went. Cisco was a total maniac! I was tossing sticks out far into the water and she'd fetch them, but when I was sitting down and not wanting to get up, one time I decided to use a small stone to get her into the water. Well, I'll never do that again.

She became so obsessed that the thing I tossed sunk to the bottom that she just kept focused on where it went down and starting frantically digging at the bottom! She wouldn't stop, even though I tried to redirect her. Poor girl. All I could think of was that I did this to her on Mother's Day! Sick, sadistic momma.

We had a lot of fun. I met the Justice of the Peace who's property backs up to the pond. He came out to meet me, but mostly to make sure I was a member of the Fish and Game and that I was going to pick up after the dog. He wore a cap that had the Fish and Game's button on it. Very funny. But he was a nice man (Jerry) and I met his grandson too. They even went to get Cisco 2 large "cookies" (we know them as biscuits.) He gave me one to take home when we were leaving to go back home.

My inner calves are totally painful lately and I couldn't understand why. It's very localized; like an apple-sized area to each inner calf. Well, I got home today and googled and it's shin splints. I thought shin splints were straight up and down on the front of the calf but it is to the medial aspect of the tibia bone.

So I emailed the barn manager, office manager and program director, as well as the other instructors so they know that I can no longer fill-in as a side-walker or leader in Program. Done deal. Just barn work for me now. I didn't make it up to get out of Program. I'm actually in a lot of pain. No guilt involved.

I need to eat something before I go back to the barn. So far all I've had is coffee with cream. I'm feeling fine so far but I don't want to tank later on. The day is not done. I'm likely to come down off this high before I can actually rest. So, off I go to "feed."

I hope you're all having a lovely Mother's Day. I had a treat! I saw a male Red-winged Black Bird in the back yard, and when I came back from the pond with Cisco, the half an orange I had spiked on a peg was swinging, like something was on it and eating and then left in a hurry. I went to look at it and it's almost hollowed out! (It's a half an orange.) I haven't seen anything eating it so if I ever find out who's enjoying it, it will be very cool.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds like you had a wonderful day! Your walk & swim sounds delightful! I love hearing stories about your dogs, don't feel bad. I'm actually being pretty silly about dogs myself. Every time I see one (even stranger's dogs - behind fences)... I love-on em Enjoyed looking at puppy pics with my grand kiddo's last night, planning.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #119
Big Yapper!

Well in that case, I took pics on my phone. I'll try to upload them and post a couple here. She had such a good day and so did I, considering I worked two shifts. Wish me luck. I hope this works cause I'm pretty-much done for one day. No more challenges needed, thank you very much.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #120
Big Yapper!

Here's my baby! (having trouble uploading more than three at a time. Will try and do multiple posts.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (34.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (57.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (37.1 KB, 8 views)