Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #931
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Geeze Louise! I got a call-back from my Dr and he says I'm overmedicated for my thyroid. Naturally, I have many of the symptoms below EXCEPT for weight loss regardless of appetite.

So this explains the sweating, the slight hand tremor I've had for months or longer, the fact that I thought my hairline was receding like my Fathers had (and I already have a high forehead, so this was beginning to concern me,) muscle weakness, rapid fingernail growth, etc. Well, you can read the list below. They don't all apply to me but many of them do. So my Cytomel is now cut back to twice a week and we will retest in 8 weeks. I hope I start feeling better fast.

PS: None of my other lab values were askew, even the liver enzymes. I asked for them to mail me a copy and she said she would. I hope she does. I want to see them with my own eyes.

Thyroid medications.

Taking too much thyroid hormone medication can wreak havoc on your thyroid gland and cause hyperthyroidism. If you have been prescribed thyroid replacement hormone (for hypothyroidism), never take an extra dose, even if you missed one, without first talking to your doctor.

Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism

Symptoms of hyperthyroidism may be vague and can often mimic other illnesses and conditions. If you have a very mild form of hyperthyroidism, you may not notice any symptoms. Symptoms are often particularly subtle in the elderly. However, an overactive thyroid often leads to discomfort or even disability that disrupts your everyday activities or routines.

Thyroid enlargement, called a goiter, occurs in most people with hyperthyroidism. You may see or feel a lump in the front of your neck. Sometimes only your doctor will be able to detect a goiter.

Other symptoms of hyperthyroidism include:

Anxiety, nervousness, and irritability
Frequent, loose bowel movements
Difficulty sleeping
Double vision
Eyes that bulge out, or "protrude" (in patients with Graves' disease)
Hair changes, including brittle hair, thinning hair, and hair loss from scalp
Irregular heart beat (arrhythmia), especially in older adults
Menstrual cycle changes, including lighter bleeding and less frequent periods
Muscle weakness, especially in the thighs and upper arms
Rapid fingernail growth
Rapid heartbeat, usually over 100 beats per minute
Shaky hands
Sweating
Thinning skin
Weight loss despite increased appetite
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #932
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Wow--that explains so MANY of the things that were worrying and bothering you! SO great when there is an easy explanation for worrying symptoms!
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #933
Big Yapper!

Amen, sister!

I have to confess that one time I had my labs drawn and went in for a visit at the office and the Dr was in Hawaii on vacation with his family so I saw one of his associates. She was someone who was completely new to me and I to her. She wanted me to cut my Cytomel down to half a tab per day but I rationalized that I hadn't waited the 5 hours between taking my morning meds and when the blood was drawn. So I kept taking the full tab per day. That was a very long time ago, Jessica.

It's a very humbling thing to realize that you've been wrong. And to realize that your wrongness has been the cause of your struggles in life. I know some people are going to read what the Dr said about taking one tab twice a week and warn me that it doesn't sound like the right advice, but for once I am going to do what he says. Then I will see how I feel over time.

But why oh WHY can't I lose weight when I'm hyperthyroid? Why, God? WHY?????
Old 10-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #934
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
That IS crazy! You could hope that the only good symptom of over-thyroid medication would be that you'd drop a few lbs!! Can't win for losing!! I'm glad it's a simple fix though and hope you're feeling better quickly!!

I take cynomel (the Mexican equivalent) and it's got to be much weaker than the real thing. I take 3-4.5 a day if I remember all my doses. I don't have any of those symptoms, and treat to my body temp. It's still not where it *should* be, but I can live w. 97.2 .

Hope you feel better immediately and all the other pieces fall into place .
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #935
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
So glad you got to the bottom of that Cheryl!
I don't lose wt. when I'm over-medicated either. Even when I was trying. Once you get your diet in line & meds straightened out, all that hard work will pay off! Not sleeping is another thing that holds wt. on... so many things on that list... these thyroids play a huge part in our bodies, huh!?
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #936
Big Yapper!

Debby, isn't that the truth? We are so enslaved to hormones! Between hormones and chemicals, it's a wonder that we have a free thought or action in our lives!

Thanks ladies for being my cheering section! I'm so happy that there is finally something that we can do that might bring about a positive outcome. And since Cytomel has such a short half-life, I should start feeling better pretty quickly. (I hope I hope I hope.) I took it today so I decided to take them on Sundays and Thursdays. Having an odd-number week makes it hard to get it just right. Why are there 7 days in a week? Ever wonder about things like that?

Julie, holy smokes! That's a lot of T3. Is this a prescription or are you just taking it (like it's an OTC drug) to keep your temperature in normal range? I'm just curious. I remember you used to say you were maintaining temps in the 98's. My temp is in the range that your current temp is. I never have temps in the 98's, even when I'm sweating my fanny off. (Not that I take my temperature when at the farm, but that would be interesting to see, wouldn't it?)

Do you take Synthroid or an equivalent? I hope you don't mind my questions.

I was a good girl and I picked up the poop in the yard, fixed the window screen that Cisco plowed through the other day, filled two bird baths, filled two bird feeders and played with Cissy in the grass. I went outside to grab the mail and it just came over me. It is such an absolutely perfect day that I just had to lay on my back in the front yard and just play with Cissy a while. She was so happy! And there is never doggy doo-doo in the front yard so it's safe to do that. Mr Fishy is still waiting for his new water. That will come later.

Last edited by CherylB; 10-03-2013 at 01:11 PM..
Old 10-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #937
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Congrats to nephew ! Wow !

Glad you found an answer to your problems . Will be interesting to see how you feel soon !

I bet Cissy was so happy to play in the yard with you ! How neat !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #938
Big Yapper!

Thank you, Laura. Are you working or on a stretch of days off? What's going on in your world? I did go on your journal but don't remember what I read! Senior moments happen all too frequently these years.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #939
Blabbermouth!!!

i'm in the middle of my days off ! Yay ! DS1 and DIL are still looking for a house, DH is over DS2's house helping him mow. I'm playing on the internet. Back is still a little sore......

Sunny and hot here ! Craving sweets all of the sudden .........uh oh......... ;/
Old 10-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #940
Big Yapper!

Thanks for refreshing my memory, Laura. I feel like I've been playing tag all day with you, Debby, Julie and Jessica. We need one big journal where we can all just talk there!

The only one who's missing is Tammy. I haven't heard from her in a while. I'll text her to see how she's doing. Have a lovely eve, girls.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #941
Blabbermouth!!!

lol ! I'm the same way........

Yep, we should really get together in real life !! Would make it sooooo much easier
Old 10-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #942
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
Congratulations on your nephew, Cheryl! Whoo-hoo!

And yay on finding out something you can fix physically! Here's hoping the adjustment in your meds brings the solutions you need!

What a lovely day you've had. I can totally feel you lying in the grass on a perfect autumn day with your dogger. That's a memory to bottle up and take out some cold day this winter.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #943
Big Yapper!

Plum! You always surprise me when you show up. It was indeed a cool thing to lay on the grass with my little fluffernutter. You can't do that in Texas, my friend! I know cause I've tried that. Only did it once! Laid down in a lovely little meadow and got up and later discovered I had a large dose of Chiggers. Not to mention those dog-gone fire ants. We have bugs of course but we aren't always under attack. The flying kind, yes. The creepy crawly kind, not so much.

Yeah, Laura. What we need is our own private chat room. Feels like we're chasing each other around some days. Today was like that for sure. Other days it feels like I'm the only one on here looking for company. I'm sure we all experience that from time to time.

Well, another day off is through. It's time for bed. I did talk to Tammy and she is well. She'll pop back in here eventually.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #944
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds like a great day Cheryl. So nice to have a real day off
I'm looking forward to mine too!

I bet you do start feeling better right away. I had that happen to me before & the reaction to cutting back worked really fast.

I also have to take an extra "fraction" of a pill twice a week. It is hard to remember. I keep track of it, but like you said, uneven week makes it hard. I also take my temperature, which reminds me to take the extra when it starts dropping again.

Hope it enables you to cut back on your sleep meds too!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #945
Big Yapper!

Thank you, Debby. I also hope it enables me to do my job that much better. I hope that I can get showered, blow dry my hair and get dressed without having to stand in front of a fan in order to be dry enough to put my clothes on. I hope for many improvements and I hope you're right that they will be visible fast. I'm going to make notes daily on how I feel.

Today I had my full Cytomel but I won't have another until Sunday. The experiment begins.

Tomorrow is a full "real day off" too! Did I mention that I called the mechanic and he said he can't take me in until next week? So I don't drop the car off to him until next Wednesday morning. That gives me one more glorious and free day off. If I am unable to sleep as late as I like to, Lord please give me the oomph to get up on my feet and march into the day with a smile on my face, and to get things done.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #946
Big Yapper!

I took these pictures through my bathroom and kitchen windows, so they aren't perfect. But they show the Fall colors I can see from my home. This is the lovely property that I am blessed to live on. (ETA: Tire tracks are due to the lawn treatment guy coming in the last 24 hours. I was perplexed by those and I sought an answer. It took texting two other people before I got a clue.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (55.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (63.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (55.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by CherylB; 10-04-2013 at 12:38 PM..
Old 10-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #947
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow! Now that's a beautiful fall! Soak it up friend! I've heard that fall on the east coast is spectacular. Looks like you sure have it there!
I'm having a lazy day off.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #948
Big Yapper!

Me too, except that I just took the pilates bench apart and put it in the attic. I moved a loveseat over against that wall and when I can recover from all of that exertion, I'm going to move the treadmill where the loveseat was at. That way Cisco and I can watch TV while we are sweating and burning those calories.

I tried selling it (the reformer) but I had no bites at all. We'll see where I am physically when the New Year arrives. That's when I will find lots of "new year's resolution" peeps shopping for equipment. If I'm able to use it by then, maybe I'll decide to keep it. Otherwise, I can get my money back from when I bought it and the Malibu Pilates chair. I'll keep the chair no matter what because it doesn't take up much space and is a total-body workout.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #949
Blabbermouth!!!

so beautiful there .......so jealous !
Old 10-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #950
Big Yapper!

Thank you. If I would leave the house and take pics of areas other than my back yard, just imagine how much more I could show you! I will work on that. I have gas in the tank now so I actually can take a few drives.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #951
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Debby, isn't that the truth? We are so enslaved to hormones! Between hormones and chemicals, it's a wonder that we have a free thought or action in our lives!

Thanks ladies for being my cheering section! I'm so happy that there is finally something that we can do that might bring about a positive outcome. And since Cytomel has such a short half-life, I should start feeling better pretty quickly. (I hope I hope I hope.) I took it today so I decided to take them on Sundays and Thursdays. Having an odd-number week makes it hard to get it just right. Why are there 7 days in a week? Ever wonder about things like that?

Julie, holy smokes! That's a lot of T3. Is this a prescription or are you just taking it (like it's an OTC drug) to keep your temperature in normal range? I'm just curious. I remember you used to say you were maintaining temps in the 98's. My temp is in the range that your current temp is. I never have temps in the 98's, even when I'm sweating my fanny off. (Not that I take my temperature when at the farm, but that would be interesting to see, wouldn't it?)

Do you take Synthroid or an equivalent? I hope you don't mind my questions.

I was a good girl and I picked up the poop in the yard, fixed the window screen that Cisco plowed through the other day, filled two bird baths, filled two bird feeders and played with Cissy in the grass. I went outside to grab the mail and it just came over me. It is such an absolutely perfect day that I just had to lay on my back in the front yard and just play with Cissy a while. She was so happy! And there is never doggy doo-doo in the front yard so it's safe to do that. Mr Fishy is still waiting for his new water. That will come later.
Beautiful leaf pictures! I miss that so much!! Glad you had such a great day! I have hit 98 a few times, but never in the morning. Highest I've hit is 97.6 first thing, but usually 97.2, which I can live with. When I started taking it, it was too high. Bad headaches and jittery and felt awful. Dropped my dose down and felt better right away. I don't think the Mexican version is nearly as strong as the regular one. I vaguely recall about a third? I tried synthroid, but felt awful. I use straight cynomel (t3). I did some trial and error for a while but found this dose felt best. I wish I knew exactly what was the strength etc., but my choices are limited .
Old 10-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #952
Big Yapper!

So when was the last time you had your thyroid levels checked to see if the dosages need adjusted? I wish I had done my recheck months ago. What a moron am I!? Every single day for the next few weeks, I'm going to see how different I feel. Today I felt a little stronger going up the outside steps into the house, carrying bags of groceries. It might be in my mind cause I've only skipped the one dose but I am so happy to see how things change for the better. I have hope for a much better last few months to this year.

Goodnight, my friends. Sleep well. My days of leisure have come to an end for this week. I did get around to cleaning the fish bowl tonight. I've seen him swimming around and all expanded with his fins as if he sees another male Betta. I guess he's seeing his reflection everywhere he looks in his clean glass bowl. He'll get used to being surrounded. Looks like he's settled down now and ready to sleep.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #953
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's wonderful that you are feeling a bit better! I expected that would happen right away. Hopefully you won't end up going too low.

Good job on your furniture moving & fish-tank. I'd never have the energy to deal with a fish tank. Our son bought me one for Christmas one year. I told him flat out that I wouldn't ever have fish. I've seen how much work it is! Besides the water in our valley is so high in minerals it would make them impossible to clean! (felt bad, but he would of brought fish home next)!

Hope you work-week goes really well for you!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #954
Big Yapper!!!!

It's funny how those mundane tasks always take forever to get around to doing, but are a relief when done.

So, what's your new plan? Weren't you gearing up to start early October? We're you doing LC and the gym? Or some other option? I know when you're working out more you'll probably want to keep that protein high and add some healthy carbs. I know you know the healthy lifestyle...just checking in to see where you are with it all .
Old 10-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #955
Big Yapper!

The plan was to start after the dinner I made for my sister and her hubby (and my Mom, of course.) Then my Mom's birthday is the 14th and I was talking to her in the car on the way home, telling her I was going to start my diet right away so don't be surprised if I don't eat everything at her birthday dinner. Then she started saying I should put it off until after her birthday; that it's only a few more days (in mom-time) and then I can start after that and there won't be any events until Thanksgiving. I told her that I couldn't keep putting things off until this or that event was past cause there is always something else. But somehow the seed she planted took root and here I am, on the "see food" diet still.

But the treadmill is in place! I am getting ready. I do have the gym membership but I won't probably go for a while. As long as I can get some use out of the treadmill and drop some lbs and get in the groove first, then I can go back to the gym after that. I hate being a huge person in the gym. Such a horrible feeling.

Okay; I answered your questions, now you answer mine. You didn't respond to the question about your thyroid levels being checked. I know I have trouble with my memory but I am worried that you are just self-medicating and don't really have hypothyroidism. Knowing now what it feels like to be over-medicated, you could be doing more harm than good. I never knew it was possible but over-medicating can result in weight gain rather than loss and make loss even more impossible.

Debby, it's not a fish tank. I agree with you about those. I used to have a 10-gallon tank but it would get so dirty over time, even with the appropriately-sized filter. I got tired of all that so when I moved and had given away my other fish (long story), I just got a single small bowl and a single fish. Well, I had two goldfish but they croaked one time after I cleaned their bowl. I think I might not have gotten the water temperature close enough to what they were in and the shock took them out. But now I have a Betta and I am much more cautious about his water changes. It's so easy to keep up with and he's amusing enough for me. I think I have a picture. I'll post it if I do.

I'm working today so can't hang out for long. I'll bbl and chat a bit more. ETA: I had the plate on top early in our relationship because I heard that they do jump out sometimes and I was worried he'd do it during the night. I'd cover his bowl when I went to bed each night but now I never do that. He has so much room to swim around that he can get lots of swimming and has no need to swim rapidly in a vertical direction. Also, I keep the water level a few inches from the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (16.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by CherylB; 10-05-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Old 10-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #956
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What a pretty fish! My oldest granddaughter has a fish in a bowl too... but they have to keep it way up on top of a buffet. Because they now have two kittens.. poor fish gets forgotten a lot.

Making little changes, baby steps toward a healthy lifestyle & getting your meds straightened out are bound to pay off.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #957
Big Yapper!

Oh no! They need to put that fishy and his bowl down lower and just cover his bowl with something. They need air but something that will keep the kitties from snagging him for a snack. My Betta is a lot more active than the Pet Store people said they are. I feel terrible for the ones in the store that are stuck in a cup that is just large enough for them to turn around in. He's as active if not MORE active than any goldfish I've ever had. He's a happy boy.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #958
Big Yapper!

Here's the video I took of me grooming Daphne tonight. I took 11 videos and I'm happy with all of them. I just wish I was looking better in this one. It was in the mid 70's and I was sweating bad for several hours before I filmed it. Cut me some major slack, please! This takes courage!

It's such a great video of Daphne, though. I set the camera on the shelf that their grooming boxes go on and I turned the side monitor around so I could see if I framed it right. All through the video, you can see her looking directly at the monitor! It's such a small one but I had the light turned on and that must have "caught her eye."

I am so happy with these videos but it's so time-consuming to upload from the camcorder, then to Youtube (only way I know how), it's going to take at least two days to share them all here. But they are worth the wait!

This is the first time that Daphne has been able to be groomed in about 2 weeks. She's been so reactive to touch and we've been thinking it was due to ulcers (based on a video I think I have shared, also from Youtube. I might not have done that, but just go with it.) You'll see her turn and react when I go near her belly on her right side toward the end of the video. I stopped the currying at that point. She'd had enough.

She was so itchy! Enjoy, ladies. And remember; I am working and sweating and look my absolute WORST. I'm actually surprised. I thought my body would be the biggest turn-off but it's everything from the shoulders UP that I find so disturbing. Something to work on.

A great "BEFORE video." Enjoy!

Old 10-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #959
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So cool to hear your voice & see you! You looked good to me! Only watched the first minute or so, as my internet charges me... but couldn't resist!

That's great that Daphne let you groom her. Horses are so beautiful, I just love looking at them. Did you have a really long day today?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #960
Big Yapper!

I am honored that you spent some of your money to view my video! It wasn't a long day, just a typical one. It's just a short burst of extended summer we're having right now and the change in my Cytomel is only on day #2 so I don't feel that much different. I was hoping I would see a huge difference but I sweat profusely all afternoon. I can't wait and hope to almighty God that this is one thing that goes away when I'm balanced.

Time for bed! I love that you saw Daphne. Isn't she gorgeous! Did you get to see her extend her head when I hit her sweet spot?