Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #31
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
That's just one mini donkey. I just kept taking pics of him because he kept coming toward me and he got too close to take a picture of, so I'd back up and get a pic, and he'd come toward me again. That was really odd cause the minis are in no way tame and friendly. They are beginning to be, but Domenic much more than the mini horses.

I had a very blessed experience at the community organization where I applied for energy assistance this afternoon. I got this guy and over the course of going over the paperwork, it came up about being a nurse and working at the farm (he knows of it cause a friend lives near it.) And as I talked about why I'd rather make $9.50 than $40/hr, he had a revelation.

He said that what I said was exactly what he needed to hear. God spoke a word to him through me. I said, "Praise the Lord. Don't thank me because I didn't know what you needed to hear." I LOVE WHEN THAT HAPPENS!! I wish it would happen even more often than it does. Maybe it does and I just don't know it. (He may even come and volunteer at the farm.)

So I got awarded $300 for energy assistance and I was already signed up for "match payment" so basically I'm caught up with the natural gas company. I wish there was some way to get a stipend toward housing. Wow! If I could qualify for something like that, I would be sitting pretty. I'll ask the lady at the town hall. She's awesome and knows her stuff.

Just was talking with my sister who is barely awake after her very busy and active day. She went swimming at the gym and then went walking with her friend and then did some errands (I can't recall all she said) and now she's crashing. She has narcolepsy in addition to many other things. God bless her. I just filled her in about my last few days. We hardly ever talk anymore cause she's a morning gal and I'm not. By the time I have time or am interested in talking, she's crashing.

I love having a job and I thank God for it, but I have to get very creative and make a conscious effort to make time for them. I don't want to see them so little. I came home to hang with them. I can do texting and phone calls from anywhere in the USA. I have to make time for them. (Note to self.)

Going to relax a while now. TTYL. I hope that your day is blessed, the way mine has been.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #32
Big Yapper!

Lo and behold, I qualify for a "renters rebate". It is given once annually, in the fall. All I have to do is apply for it. Ask and ye shall receive. I have no idea what the payment is, but by golly, I know I'll find a good use for it.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #33
Big Yapper!

I forgot to tell you about my car! I decided to try out the mechanic who opened up shop in the building where my first mechanic in this town was before he went out of business. I like what I'm seeing. He's got a nice sitting room with a big comfy couch, a Keurig coffee pot and a flat screen tv on the wall, and there are three newspaper articles about him moving from a nearby town to my town. This guy has a good reputation!

So I tell him I think my power steering motor is going. He sets me up for an appointment to have it looked at on Monday morning. Then we go out and he checks the dipstick. He shows me where it is and I realize that I've been checking the brake fluid reservoir and not the power steering one. What a blond thing to do...

The level is really low. The reservoir is so hidden that I couldn't have seen it even if I had looked really hard. It lies beneath a fat hose. The dipstick is attached to the cap. So anyway, he's put the fluid in and he's added the cost of the fluid to what he'll charge me on Monday. He thinks I should still have it checked to make sure there isn't a leaky hose. I say okay.

I start up the car to drive away and the steering is like new! What a dope!!!! I pull out onto the street and put out the "OK" sign as I drive by, just in case he's looking. Sometimes I truly am a ditz. (I'm on disability for a reason. You do NOT want me as your nurse.)

Last edited by CherylB; 04-25-2013 at 01:00 PM..
Old 04-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Wow Cheryl,
What a positive day for you! Worth looking into those things! Good for you. Also great find on the good mechanic that actually took the time to show you how to check your gauge!
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #35
Big Yapper!

Good days go a long way toward making up for the bad ones. Good days are coming your way too, sweetheart.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #36
Big Yapper!

Wow, man. I'm active on a dozen threads and nobody's posted a single thing since mid afternoon. I keep checking back in disbelief and keep finding nothing. Feels like a weekend. Perhaps it's the full moon! I just looked outside and saw it. The sky is so clear and that moon just popped right out at me.

It's going to be pretty cold tonight. Well, off to bed I go. Hope to see yous tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #37
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Hey lady! I'm so happy to see you had a good day. It's a shame about your sister, but I'm glad you got a chance to chat w/ her. Power steering fluid? Been there, did that too! glad you've found a new mechanic, and close by too! I hope this is a good new pattern for you! Sleep well and hope tomorrow goes well to!
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #38
Big Yapper!

Yeah, finding a new mechanic is a relief to me. He's not as close as the other guy was and if I were to ride a bike back and forth, it's not going to go so well. He's at the top of a very very long hill. So walking will be how I get to and from. There is a restaurant nearby but I don't think they are open in the mornings. I could walk all the way down the hill to Dunkin Donuts for coffee, but if I do that, I might as well just turn the corner and go home! I don't live far from that little plaza.

I will just hang out for about an hour while he checks it out. I think it might just be a leaky hose. Might not be leaking at all! Might just be that it's been 13 years since I put any fluid in there! Didn't know where it was so unless a mechanic did it for me as a kind gesture (yeah right), it's the same steering fluid that was in there when I bought the car in Arizona.

I'm ashamed about that. I haven't been a "good Mom" and I want to make up for that this summer, while I'm working more hours. I'll ask the guy to change my air and gas filter too. I almost ran out of gas on Wednesday so the gunk in the bottom of the tank got sucked up into the filter, no doubt.

I want the car to be as sound as it can be before I decide to pack up and head to FL in Oct/Nov. I hope I can make that happen! Please, Lord! I need to see her one more time before one of us departs this world.

Yesterday was my poop-patrol day and I forgot about it. Will do it today. Must meet my obligations at home as well as when I'm away. It's another perfect day outside. On the cool side but the leaves on the trees are just beginning to unfurl. Most are still just buds but it won't be long now. Spring !!!

I hope you all have a lovely day. May God bless you in the way you need it the most.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #39
Big Yapper!

Well, today is the big day. Day #1 of program at the farm. I'll be there, trying to stay out of the way. The manager said that there is only a 5 and 6 o'clock lesson so that's not too bad. I'm going to go a bit early just to see which horses are being used and to get things set up the way I want them. It's a juggling act. It's overcast today. I wonder if we're going to get sprinkled on. It won't be enough to cancel the lessons so I'm sure the show will go on.

I took pics of a Yucca plant that is in one of the flower planters here at the duplex. The landlady doesn't like it so I said I'd post it on Freecycle. So, I just did it! Posted two pics, too. Here they are:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (74.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (53.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #40
Big Yapper!

I wouldn't think a desert plant would grow in CT but this thing refuses to die. And little ones sprout up and the LL has to keep plucking them out. When I figure out what's a weed or an undesirable thing, I'll help her weed. I have thought things were weeds before and they were flowers. Luckily, I put things off so I did no damage.

Holy Toledo! Someone already responded about the Yucca. I said fastest pick up would take it away and she wants to come at 2 pm today! Woohooo! LL will be amazed. Now I just have to figure out what to plant in its place. This will be fun!

Have an awesome day, everyone. I hope we don't get rained on. If we do, I hope it's only sprinkles and nothing to spoil things for our excited riders.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

I like plants that don't die easily. I tend to have a brown thumb!! Hope you have a great day at the farm!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #42
Big Yapper!

Thank you, Julie. I hope you have a good day, too. I was just over on your journal and posted. I hope you don't take what I wrote the wrong way. I just want to help you maybe figure out what happened.

I kind of liked the yucca plant cause it reminded me of my "desert southwest days" but the LL doesn't like it so I figured if we got rid of it, I can plant something nicer. It will be fun figuring out what to put there! Since it's right up against the foundation, it can't be anything that has an aggressive root system. No roses and things like that.

I have some great gardening books that are geared toward things that do well in the northeast so I'll look through and shop around. I really like ornamental grasses, so maybe that would be a good thing. Might be too big for that area and crowd-out the Canna in the back corner. I really need to move that canna to the front anyway, cause it needs more sun.

I actually took pics of the sunrise and sunset to prove to my LL that that side of the house was not "south" but rather "southeast." She refused to accept it! So funny. I wouldn't want to get into a real argument with her. Nobody wins, I'll bet.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #43
Big Yapper!

O.M.G. Not only was I a side-walker for the 5 o'clock lesson but I was a leader in the 6 o'clock lesson. AND I trained a new volunteer before that time, so we did paddocks together. I showed her how to clean a paddock, how to operate the gates and latches, introduced her to one or two of the horses, showed her where to dump the manure, and about that time, it was time to start with the first lesson. I told her that if I wasn't side-walking, I could show her how to groom but since I couldn't, she just called her mother to come pick her up. She said she'd be back next week.

I really miss my hot tub at this moment. I remember how awesome it was to sneak out there in the dark with just a bathrobe on, and slip it off just before stepping into it. The stars and moon shining, the steam rising off the water. The jets pounding away at my every sore muscle and my skin coming alive and getting all tingly. Ahhhh... And let's not forget the glass of wine (or vodka) that was sitting within easy reach. Those were the days, my friends.

What I need to do is stop reminiscing and go take a hot shower! Too tired and too worn out to make that happen.

The chick who wanted to come for the yucca plant at 2 pm never responded after I emailed her with my address. I absolutely HATE THAT. Why do they do that? So many of them do. It makes me feel like I have to watch for people who might be casing the joint! Why else would so many people say they want something and then *vanish* once you give them your address?

I took 4 Motrin about an hour ago and I still hurt. I need some Percocet! If only I was friends with a Dr or APRN.

Well, that's all I have to say about that for now. I have two more days of program and each day is a new instructor. If they don't have enough volunteers to do the classes they are setting up, I'm going to start charging for the actual hours I'm working. If they want to know why I went over 3 hours, I'll have plenty of reasons. Then they will find volunteers!

I know they're doing their best, but clearly their best isn't good enough. They need to fix this thing before they start expecting the staff barn person to fill in all the gaps. Homey don't play that. At least not on a regular basis. I understand things come up, stuff goes down, etc. But if it's the norm, I'm not going to just go with the chaotic flow.

I feel so much better now. And the bird bath I ordered for my mother came today! It was in this large, very light box and I initially thought it was overly packaged. But when I actually got the time to open it, I was shocked at how large and nice the bath/waterer is. I'll post a pic. Not sure if I did that before. But the bottle must hold 2 liters of water and it dispenses water automatically into these four perfect little baths. Just the right size and depth for any persnickety bird. It's not going to work for a crow but everybody else will fit!

I told Mom I'll give it to her for Mother's Day, which is two Sundays from now. My sister and her hubby will be in Maryland and so we won't be taking her out for dinner like we normally would. We can take her to dinner another time. This waterer is very classy.

Last edited by CherylB; 04-29-2013 at 06:57 PM..
Old 04-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #44
Big Yapper!

Here, birdy birdy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bird bath.jpg (13.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #45
Big Yapper!

(First, a copy/paste from another thread I just wrote on.)

Yesterday we had two very autistic young girls that are so completely in their own heads and worlds that it's hard to get inside to them and draw them out for even a brief moment. If we can get them to do something we ask of them or get them to repeat something we've said, that's cause for celebration.

I so hoped I could sleep-in today but I woke up and started to toss and turn around 8. I gave up and got out of bed around 9:30. Will be another long day but I hope to God they have enough volunteers that I don't have to "pinch hit." It's just too much. And I won't know until I get there and see the schedule. Even then I won't know because someone might not show up.

On the bright side, it's a gorgeous, sunny day and it should reach 70 degrees. Low humidity, the bugs aren't bad yet and my tulip in the front planter opened up for the first time this morning. It's a lovely yellow! I'm going to bring it in the house so I can enjoy it more. They make great cut flowers and last a long time. I love how they close at night and open again in the morning. I'll keep it in the sun, though. Don't want to deprive it of that.

Have a nice day, ladies. Do something you enjoy!

(Now for something else for my journal.)

Not sure what else there is to add but I feel like I'm not doing something right by taking the easy way out. Need to go make a fresh pot of coffee. Prayers appreciated! Have a nice day in your neck of the woods.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
prayers !! And hope everyone shows up and you get to enjoy the beautiful weather !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #47
Big Yapper!

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Hope it is lighter workload today! Enjoy that nice weather. I will see 99 today!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #49
Big Yapper!

Yikes! Better you than me. I love this mild stuff and wish it was this way all summer. The humidity is so low and the bugs aren't bad yet. It can't last much longer but I'm hopeful. Have a great day, Julie!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #50
Big Yapper!

(copy/paste from another thread.)

I just put the dog out and let her back in and that one lone yellow tulip is closed up tight for the night. Things like that just make me love God all the more.

It's going to be under 40 degrees tonight! I came home from the farm and wondered if I should have put their turn-out sheets on to keep warm. It wasn't cold then but the temps fell pretty fast. The manager can toss the sheets on them if she thinks they are necessary when she does night check.

I'm so tired. My back and legs are aching. I need to soak in a hot tub of water with epsom salt but I'm too lazy to draw a bath and go through all that, so I took 4 motrin and then about 1.5 hours later, 2 full-strength aspirin. Finally I have achieved relief. One more afternoon of work and then I'll be off until Sunday. I guess this is going to hurt, ramping up from only 2 shifts per week to 4.

I just love the animals so much that I have to just let the "human junk" just roll off my back. Had a little human junk today. I don't care though in hindsight. I talked it out and now I'm back to just being thankful for the job and for the access to the animals.

I had a heart-to-heart with the aging goat. She can no longer stand up on her own. It took two of us to lift her up so she could stand, leaning against the wall. Then her stupid daughter came around her backside and walked between her and the wall and down she went again. Her days are numbered.

But I swear that these animals understand what you're saying to them. Not the words, but the energy behind the words, or the intent of your heart. It's real and it is magical when they seem to connect with you. I was talking to Lucy (the old goat) and telling her that it was okay. We love her, we will miss her, but we can't live forever. We don't want her to live like this and to keep suffering. And then I told her that if she was worried who would keep her daughter company (Ellen,) I promised her that she would not be alone.

Lucy turned her face to me and she touched my face with her mouth. I swear to God! It happened twice when I was talking about Ellen and that we will make sure she has a companion. Now all I have to do is follow through and keep reassuring her that Ellen will be fine. I never knew how great a goat could be! They're like dogs.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I should copy and paste all this on my journal. I guess I will cause I'm tired and there's no way I'm writing this all again!

Night, ladies.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good you worked through the frustration & counting your blessings.
Animals certainly do have a lot of personality... so true.

Good night, hope tomorrow is easier!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #52
Big Yapper!

However tomorrow goes, it's FRIDAY!!! I will enjoy my three days off. If the fat doesn't start melting off of me now, nothing will do it. I have stopped the voracious eating so now it's up to the Will of God.

And it's payday...
Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Whoo Hoo!! on both!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #54
Big Yapper!!!!

Payday, hard work, clean eating=good life!! Enjoy your few days off, rest and refuel, and count your blessings!! You're doing great!!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #55
Big Yapper!

Oh, man. I got a reply back from that "w"itch. She's unconscionable!!! I forwarded the email I wrote to her and her response to the program director and also the equine manager. I can't let this egomaniac boss me around. She thinks she's in charge of all the animals when she's working in the barn, tacking up each horse and getting them ready for program! That is not the fact, Jack.

I have to go back to work today and I don't know but I'm assuming she will be there again. I'm not going to go near her. If I catch her going into the grain room or trying to feed the horses based on what time SHE thinks they should be fed, I'll deck her.

I actually thought I was mending fences by writing that email but she just tore into me. Maybe it's best this way, cause now the managers will have to take her aside and give her the "straight dope." I did what I could, which is what the program director said to do. "Use the situation to teach." Well, I can check that off the list.

I guess I should unfriend her on FB! Maybe I'll just choose not to receive any of her status updates and stuff. I actually lost a friend (for real) by unfriending them on FB, then telling them why I did it. I actually did it to spare her any more of my posting about the end times. In 2011, I was pretty convinced the end was near and Jesus was at the door. She didn't like hearing all that "doom and gloom" so I unfriended her, told her I did it and why, and she was livid. Said she couldn't handle "all the drama."

It's another beautiful day in the neighborhood. This week has just been amazing! And I have the best volunteer EVER on Wednesdays. She is going to be a side-walker for one of the students for one of those hours, but she does such a good job that I won't even notice she's gone during that time. She'll "kick it" before and after.

I hate conflict. I think that is why I avoid people as much as I can. It doesn't take much before a little ripple ends up being a gigantic rift between two people. I'll never understand it. I'm not the kind of person who holds a grudge. I want to make peace, work through what happened, hear both sides of it and then have us both move forward, knowing each other a little better. When that back-fires on me, I just want to avoid them.

I'm so glad I have 3 days off after today. Oh! And I got another lady who is interested in that Yucca plant. I hope this one actually comes. I'm not giving her my address until she gives me her phone number. It's only right that we both show some vulnerability in these kinds of transactions.

Have a very nice day, ladies. BBL and will report on all the latest news and weather.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So sorry
I pray it all works out today.
She obviously has "issues." All you can do is be clear & let it go. Try not to let it eat at you. I had a situation last week with someone like that, not really, but mad at me because I wouldn't fight with her, or let her manipulate me. Well, this week God has come through for her, met some of her pity-party issues & we've been talking on the phone a couple times, I've been able to comfort & encourage her through it... God's ways are above our ways! PTL!
And yes, it can be very hurtful to be "un-friended"... in the security settings though, you can limit the things she can see... Restricted List choose the listing that restricts what can be seen by her. Also, put your mouse on her name, click on friends, scroll down to settings, and un-check all the notices... also news feed. You can put her as an acquaintance too... she won't know the difference...
Really hope she doesn't give you grief today.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
hey girl! just sitting here in this hospital with my dd and chloe. she's still getting breathing treatments and not much better than yesterday but they want to send her home. she isn't eating and barely drinking and it makes me nervous. my dd and I made our concerns known.
well, have to go. ttys!
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #58
Big Yapper!

She wasn't there today. I guess she's only team captain on Tuesdays. I'm getting lots of support from my manager about it all. She printed out the email I sent to Pattie, Pattie's email back to me and gave it to the office manager! This thing is snow-balling. But at least it shows that this chick is off her rocker. She's not firing on all 8 cylinders, or something. Debby, I'm glad God worked on the woman you had issues with recently. I hope that we still can work things out over time. I really do like her and I always have. But if I have to bow down to her, she can kiss my @$$.

Tammy, I wish they weren't sending Chloe home yet. She needs to be drinking and eating. She's only going to get dehydrated and need to come back. I hate that! It's all insurance BS. Get 'em in, patch 'em up, get 'em out. "Next!" She looks like a little wind-up doll in your Avi. What is she wearing on her feet?

Debby, I forgot to mention the FB stuff. I did what you said (before I read what you wrote) and just unchecked everything. Now I won't see her stuff in my news feed at all. It's a done deal.

Lucy the old goat was euthanized tonight. I was going to go home at 8 and then I heard the vet was coming and she was most likely going to be put down. I stayed and I'm so glad I did. I knelt beside her head and gently held her face to my chest and told her everything was okay, and the manager was beside me, stroking her body. The vet gave her the shot and in less than 30 seconds, (if that!) she was gone. The vet said that it never goes so quickly with goats. She didn't fight it at all and that meant that she was more than ready to go. That made us feel so much better about it. Still it was very sad. I cried when they laid her head down and it was over. She looked comfortable for the first time in weeks.

She never lost her appetite through it all. She ate her hay, her grain and today I took their grain buckets and filled them with lush grass from parts of the property near fences. Nobody has mowed the grass yet. You should have seen them dive into that grass! I thought to do it because Lucy hadn't left her stall in a few days (that I knew of.) The manager said she had. I don't know how, but I trust that she's telling the truth. I felt honored to be holding her head to my chest when they let her go. It was a touching moment.

It's 1 am and I need to settle down. I didn't get home until 10 pm! The latest I've ever stayed at the farm, but for good reason. The volunteer guy came to help remove her body and then the manager completely stripped-out the goat stall so it was full of fresh, clean bedding. I took Ellen out on a leash and she ate grass while they were doing all that. I thought she would be mourning but maybe goats don't have those emotions. She seemed to panic when we put her into the stall by herself and she got wide-eyed but I don't think it's going to be as hard on her as I thought it would be.

I wrapped a hair band around Lucy's goatee and cut it off with a pair of scissors. I was going to keep it but after seeing Ellen's reaction to being alone in that clean stall, I tied the hair and band to a hook in the stall. I thought maybe having just a little scent of her Mom there might get her over the first day or two. I didn't tell anyone I did it so I hope it doesn't cause someone to break down and cry when they notice it.

Goodnight, ladies. God bless all God's creatures under the sun, and especially all you lovely ladies.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #59
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
What a touching story. You were so sweet to do that ! God Bless you Cheryl
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #60
Big Yapper!