Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #511
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Happy birthday Cheryl
So funny your Cissy charging the squirrel. Molly hasn't noticed them yet... although they were scolding us yesterday on our walk.
Hope all your celebrations are lots of fun!
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #512
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Thanks, sweetie. Maybe when Molly sees a couple of squirrels in one area, she'll try to herd them. One is no fun for a gal like her.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night at the pizza place. I like that everyone knows I only want a card with no money or gifts expected. We're all going through financially rough times and just because I lived long enough to make it to another birthday, doesn't mean we need to keep doling out cash to one another.

My Mom wasn't comfortable with that and I said, "I owe you $120! If you give me money, I'm just going to be turning right around and giving it back." Then she said, "Well then just pay me back $100." I said that would be fine and thank you. I can live with that.

Work was fine. I wasn't that into going. I have this very young chick that volunteers on Monday. I'm sorry, but if someone's been coming to a few pm shifts and a few am shifts for 2 or more weeks, I expect that you don't need to be held by the hand. She never had gotten a chance to groom anyone until today? Well, I distinctly remember teaching her how to groom just last week. I remember because I demonstrated how to brush them, then let her take over. She used these small, tentative, light strokes all in a row, like someone who was eating a cobb of corn. One row and then a row right beneath that one, and on down the body of the horse she went. OMG.

So today I asked her if she'd like to groom Cowboy. She said she'd never groomed a horse before. I had forgotten the details of last week cause I deal with a lot of different volunteers and very young, very short kids all tend to meld together somehow. So I had her stand in the stall with me and Cowboy while I showed her exactly the tools I was using, and how each was used.

I find that some people learn best by watching something being done the right way, then being given the chance (under supervision) to imitate the behavior just learned. Well, she has no clue how to imitate. I got frustrated with babysitting her today. After I groomed Cowboy, I thought of which horse would be a good starter-horse for her to groom by herself and decided that Lola was perfect. So she reached for the grooming box up on the shelf and clutching it to her chest, looked over at me with trepidation. I said, "Do you want me to come with you?" She could barely utter the word "yes" but we started moving in a forward direction toward the duplex where Lola lives.

She's so fearful. But she's been here for so many "sessions" on the farm, something other than "poop patrol" must be taking root. Come on, chickie. It's not helping me to have you on Mondays. You are making it into a one-on-one orientation. And what are the other people teaching her? Do they just point her in a direction and say, "Go muck that" or "go take this horse to that paddock"? Is that all the effort they're putting into her? Well, thanks a lot, ladies. Cause it's falling on me to teach what you aren't bothering to. Makes me mad.

Came home and grabbed Cissy cause it was just before 7 and the sun was still bright in the sky. We went up to the fish and game and she swam and retrieved sticks, then we spent time sitting at a picnic table with two "old timer" members of the club who fish there all the time. It was nice to get to know them.

They had three lines in the water and one rake. The rake was double-sided and meant to snag the lily pads that grow in abundance. He takes them out a little at a time and leaves them on the banks of the pond to die. While he was bringing in one "load", there was also a snapping turtle in tow. He said it was small but it had quite a meaty head and neck. And when it opened it's jaws, holy cow! I wouldn't want to know what its bite felt like. He got away in the end.

There were a few Canada Geese lazily drifting and feeding on the other side of the pond, then I noticed the resident beaver swimming in their direction and in close proximity. It passed the geese and then circled back and swam past them again. I guess it was just checking them out cause it didn't slap its tail the way it did the time Cisco was out there swimming. It didn't think it was abnormal for them to be in its territory.

I stayed and talked with them until the sun went down. Cisco fetched some sticks and got some swimming in, then she started barking like she wanted something I didn't have to offer her. We then took a short walk through the woods to give her something to take her mind off of the thing she wanted which I didn't have. Then back to the picnic table a bit more to visit and then we drove home. It was fun.

Got home and was walking through the house and in the dimness of the fading sunlight, I could see something in my direct path that didn't look right. Sitting there on the carpet, it was clearly not a "flippity" (her rawhide chips.) It wasn't a piece of paper she'd decided to eat while I was away. It had mass and structure. It was a pile of poop.

I then realized why Cisco never left the area of the kitchen where I had just fed her dinner. She was waiting to see how I was going to react. I was just elated that she dropped her load in one neat little pile. Her usual style is to travel while she poops and cleaning up after an episode of "indoor diarrhea" can take an hour or more. I swore I'd never have carpet in the house I bought after what she put me through on the lake house we rented for her first three years on earth.

This is a book and I'm tired now so I'll end it here. So glad I have tomorrow off. And free pizza, Antipasto and beer for dinner! Who could be unhappy about that!? Not this girl.

Sleep tight, everyone. Time to stop typing....
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #513
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Have a nice Birthday party !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #514
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
I guess you're out there partying right now. Hope you're having a great time!
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #515
Big Yapper!

Thanks, ladies! I did have fun. We ate some good pizza, drank a little beer, enjoyed each other's company, I got some nice cards with heart-felt sentiments and even though Mom was told "no money", she stuck a $20 in her card. I was thankful cause I am literally busted until Friday. I gave her a check for $100 but told her to not cash it until Friday (her loan to me to help me pay for the brake job.)

Then I got the idea that maybe my two sisters who hadn't seen the farm might like to take a run up there with me after dinner and check it out. I had to persuade my eldest sister but she did come. I wish she had just hopped into my car because OMG she drives slow. I had to pull over and let her catch up, etc. I had no idea she was such a POKE.

It was early evening by then. The sun was still up but the horses had been fed their dinner hay and grain and were not too interested in entertaining anyone. And there were lots of cars there so something was going on. I haven't got a clue what but the parking lot was full. How can something be such a well-kept secret to those who work there?

Anyway, I came home and have been resting. Hungry now and didn't take any of the left-over pizza home. Seems to always go with the poorest sister with four adult children who've never left the house (and probably never will) and the rest went with my eldest sister to be given to her husband who couldn't make it. Buy one, get one free, or something like that. Only those around the table paid their portion. I think my absent brother-in-law figured this out. He's very shrewd.

All the times before this, they are always the very last people to take out their wallet to put in toward the check and it always works in their favor cause they pay the least that way. Very slick. :-/

But forget I said all that. We had a great time and I am glad we had it early in order to have it there. It worked perfectly. But I found out tonight that my middle sister (closest one) won't be here in CT during the town fair which we love so much, at the end of August. That makes me so sad. That means if I go with anyone, it will be just me and my Mom, and I'll be pushing her around in a wheelchair. I guess that's what happens as life goes forward. Maybe someday, someone will be pushing me around the fairgrounds.

This post is turning sour so I will close for tonight. Thanks for the early birthday wishes! Night and hugs to all.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #516
Big Yapper!

Sold my camera and accessories! Now getting ready for work. Later, ladies. I'm a happy girl.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #517
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh good for you hope you still have one.
How was work today?

Mine was good.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #518
Big Yapper!

I have lots of cameras. Work was fine but hard. In fact, I just got home 40 minutes or so ago. We ended up sitting around the picnic table together in the dark and drinking beer and talking. Me, the equine manager who lives there, the program director and the guy who does the heavy stuff. We had to load 100 bales of hay after my work day was done and I did the best I could but I was just spent.

So, now I'm home and I'm wishing I had something easy and yummy to eat. I'm all out of good bread so making a sandwich is out of the question. And it's almost midnight so my option of going to McDonald's just went out the window. I talked myself out of that cause I know that's how I piss so much money away. (Can I say piss?)

I was being eaten alive by bugs all day. I came home and took off my clothes and found one of the itchy areas was completely red and swollen to the measurements of 4" wide x 3" long. I actually took pictures of it! It's the medial aspect of my left (very fleshy) knee. It's an allergic reaction to the max. No wonder I couldn't stop scratching. But the right hip area which was really itching me (left hip, too) have much smaller bites.

It was the first time I really sat with those people in a very personal way and just shared a moment and conversation. I wanted SO MUCH to go home after the hay-loading fiasco but something told me to just sit and enjoy a beer with them. I'm so glad I did. We sat there and talked for almost 3 hours. We got to drink to my birthday! It was cool to see the mini's and the horses at that late an hour. It's a whole different world at night.

I haven't really eaten anything today. I thought I'd indulge after I sold the camera (cause we met at one of my favorite restaurants) but I didn't do it. I drove home and went to work, then drank two beers at the farm with the people, came home and I'm having another beer. But no solid food. I DID have two cups of coffee with cream earlier, though. I need FOOD. Someone please cook for me!

Maybe I'll go grill two cheeseburgers on the propane grill and just suck it up and use the plain, bland white bread I have in the house. It's food, right? I will be grateful and eat it. Thank you Lord. Forgive my ingratitude.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 017.jpg (11.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by CherylB; 07-31-2013 at 09:11 PM..
Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 PM   #519
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Youch! That looks painful.
What a full day you had. Glad you could connect on a personal level with your co-workers.
Wow, I never go anywhere without my prepared "foods"... don't like to get that hungry. Hope you can get back to a more normal schedule with your eating & work.

Rest well friend!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #520
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope its a wonderful one!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #521
Big Yapper!

Thanks, cutie. It's 2:37 am here and I haven't the slightest idea when I'll eventually fall asleep so I turned off all ringers. I need to sleep as long as I can without being interrupted. Glad I'm off tomorrow. (Oops! Today.)
Old 08-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #522
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
Happy Birthday! Have a great day!
That bite looks just awful. No wonder it itches!
Glad you spent time with folks you work with. I never socialized with coworkers. Idk, just didn't do it. Looking back, maybe I should have. My dh does and I never understood it.
Chloe heard her mom come in at 4:30 a.m. and jumped up and ran to see her! LOL Dd took her bf to work this morning. So, no, she wasn't out partying. LOL We have a gate at the top of the stairs and she closed it loudly and woke her up. Idk how long she stayed awake but she was back up about 8:30 again. She woke me up to get her breakfast so made her muffin tops and sausage. I haven't had my breakfast yet. Need to go do that now!
BBL

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

"He who the Son sets free is free indeed"

Tammy
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #523
Big Yapper!

Thanks, Tammy. I never really socialized with co-workers or kept in touch with them once I moved to another job but this is a different situation. It felt really selfish and wrong to just leave and say I was exhausted. We were ALL exhausted. We ALL just loaded 100 bales of hay. And I was the weak link in the four of us. I had to stop and rest twice. I changed what job I was doing twice. And finally when we were down to the last 10 bales on the truck, I had to say, "I have to sit down. I feel nauseated." The sweat was dripping off my nose. We're all around the same age. My lack of conditioning is appalling. I have to face it.

That's so cute that Chloe ran to her mom when she woke her up so early by accident. And she didn't go wake you up? Just went back to bed? That's a sign that she's growing up for sure.

The bite. The more I looked at it and photographed it and medicated it with topical stuff, I realized that it was a localized cellulitis and I had to keep an eye on it. It started to spread and change shape. I measured it a few times and took more pics just so I could keep track of it. Today it is still warm but less hard and the edges have moved even farther down toward the back of my knee. I think I really dodged a bullet. If it was worse I would have need antibiotics to keep from getting septic.

I got a bad bite in my right ear early on in the shift yesterday. It is hard and really bothering me. I put some hydrocortisone cream in it just now but it doesn't help. It is also swollen and firm like my inner knee. Maybe I need allergy shots to help me fight the histamines I get with all these bites that I can not avoid on the farm. I will talk to my Dr about it at my next visit. I also want to talk about shots to my left hip so I can begin riding.

The barn girl has in fact resigned. Her last day is the 14th. After that, we have 5 shifts to fill. The manager emailed us the schedule for August and left the holes in there, wisely. I wrote her back and told her which two days I could pick up but it sounds like the schedule might vary every other week cause the manager is a Paramedic and she works every other weekend. That means we will also have to do that on the farm. I was hoping it would be more of a set schedule month by month but we're just trying to figure it out. We'll smooth out the wrinkles over time.

It's raining lightly today and so it feels sticky. I got up and closed the windows, then turned on the a/c's. I think I'll order myself a birthday delivery dinner, now that I'm getting paid tomorrow and my days of poverty are ending. At least until I run out of money again.

I have to take a look at the calendar for two reasons. The work schedule and what time of day I'm going to need to start going to the gym. I can't put it off any longer. I need to have a consultation with a trainer (part of the membership package and I never had the appointment) and find out how to do free weights to strengthen me but do it in a way that will also benefit my heart. Must grin and bear it.

Have a great day, ladies. I'll BBL.

Last edited by CherylB; 08-01-2013 at 12:14 PM..
Old 08-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #524
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh my LORD, Cheryl--that bite looks awful! Keep a very close eye! Glad you had a fun gab sesh with the co-workers, though. I think work is the main way that most people find their friends!
Old 08-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #525
Big Yapper!

Yeah, it was more than a bite. It went from bite to cellulitis but it is looking better and feeling a bit better today. Otherwise I would have gone to the ER and gotten some antibiotics. I don't have much experience (thank you, Lord) with cellulitis but I did Google.

I got that bite while kneeling down taking pics of a little birdie. I will now post those pics. Fledgling birdie looked like he'd fallen from a nest and managed to get up on this orange daylily but the momma kept flying back and forth feeding it. I got within 18" of it to get these shots but I failed to get a pic of mom feeding baby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (37.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (33.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (36.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #526
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

awww! I like the pics!
Chloe was sleeping with me when she heard her mom close the gate. I told her she has to be more quiet. Dd told me she stayed awake til 6:30! LOL Thats what she gets!
My dd got this Shakeology stuff & it is so good with fruit in it. She has chocolate and today she put Pbutter and a banana in it and used Almond Coconut milk instead of water. It was so good! Wish I could afford that stuff! Shes doing a 30 day challenge with it for her friend who sells it. She made this chicken wrap for dinner that was delicious. It was grilled chicken, salsa and brown rice. I like that shes eating so well bc it helps me out alot.
Keep a close eye on that bite. I've never had a bite do that.
Been watching House Hunters International. I wish I could just pick up and move to another country. Especially one where the rent is cheap! Like, for $500 you can get a huge house! LOL Oh, to wish!
Well, off of here for the night. Good night everyone! ttyt!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #527
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So glad you escaped the cellulitis! Dh had it once & it was really aweful. Took 3 weeks of heavy-duty intravenous antibiotics + oral to get rid of it. BAD stuff! He could of lost his leg or life.

Cute birdie pics. Hope the baby makes it.

I saw a fawn with spots this morning... running across the road & up the hill. So cute.

Hope you get your gym/work schedule figured out. Once you get into it, you should be able to stick to it most the time.

Sleep well
Old 08-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #528
Big Yapper!

I'm so glad your dh didn't lose his leg or worse from the cellulitis. What was the cause of his? I'm so thankful that mine ended without needed major intervention.

The birdie was later seen to fly away so I don't know why it allowed me to get so near to it to take the pics. He must have just been loving that flower and loving his mother doing his work for him (hunting for bugs) and wasn't mature enough to know that he should be afraid of people. But then again, he is a farm bird so farm critters tend to think they are safe.

When I was in basic military training in TX, we had huge jack rabbits and we would be marching in group formation and they knew we weren't able to leave the group so they paid us no mind at all. That was so cool. No safer place for those rabbits than on Base.

Sleep tight, ladies. I'm heading to bed now. Can't pull a nearly all-nighter like last night. Must get up at what I consider to be a decent time.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #529
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The leg he got it in he can't feel anything in the knee (previous operation). So, he scratched it, or something & didn't notice. He was kneeling on it, working on a bathroom floor. Anyway, he didn't notice it till a couple days later - when he had a fever & it was swollen 3 X its size.

I don't remember hearing that you were in the military. Interesting!
Good night! (funny, you stay up later than me & I live on the west coast)!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #530
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tay65 View Post
awww! I like the pics!
Chloe was sleeping with me when she heard her mom close the gate. I told her she has to be more quiet. Dd told me she stayed awake til 6:30! LOL Thats what she gets!
My dd got this Shakeology stuff & it is so good with fruit in it. She has chocolate and today she put Pbutter and a banana in it and used Almond Coconut milk instead of water. It was so good! Wish I could afford that stuff! Shes doing a 30 day challenge with it for her friend who sells it. She made this chicken wrap for dinner that was delicious. It was grilled chicken, salsa and brown rice. I like that shes eating so well bc it helps me out alot.
Keep a close eye on that bite. I've never had a bite do that.
Been watching House Hunters International. I wish I could just pick up and move to another country. Especially one where the rent is cheap! Like, for $500 you can get a huge house! LOL Oh, to wish!
Well, off of here for the night. Good night everyone! ttyt!
Somehow I totally missed this post. Sorry, Tammy! The food sounds yummy. What does she use as the wrap for the chicken wrap? My bite is resolving. Today I hardly notice it. Yesterday it was fading and softening up but was still itching.

I've seen that show on HGTV. I love those realty shows myself but it's funny cause I don't care to go overseas. I like the shows when someone is looking for a vacation property on the water on some island but that's the only international stuff I enjoy. You'd really move to another country? Where would you like to go?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #531
Big Yapper!

Wow, Debby! It's amazing he didn't lose his leg. That must be terrible to have no feeling in a limb. Yes, I was in the Air National Guard. We were never deployed or activated so we were very lucky. Things were so much different back then. People were joining for the GI Bill and career opportunities, not to necessarily put their lives on the line.

Tammy, I totally missed your above post. I just wrote a reply but it got kicked back for review so you will have to wait even longer to see my response. I'm sorry. No clue why that happens sometimes.

It's a sunny, pleasant day. Landlady came to grab the rent check and her mail out of the box just outside my bedroom. I heard the lid drop closed and so I got up and did poop patrol. The shed door was open so I was thinking she was getting ready to mow. She had left but I knew she'd be back. I've been slacking in the home poop patrol department. Must mend my ways.

I have quite the weekend lined up. Kayak class tomorrow from 10-1 (I think) then Sunday, 11am appointment at the gym followed by work followed by meeting with the remaining barn staff members to go over the schedule once the other girl leaves us on the 14th. Will be a long day.

I'm going to shoot for 10 or 11 as my time to hit the gym when I go. I'll probably be working 5 afternoons each week so I'm going to need to get used to doing the gym and the farm on the same days. Otherwise I won't have enough days to go and workout and I won't improve. No pain, no gain.

I dropped the price on that foam mattress AGAIN on craigslist and still nobody responds. I'm only asking $99 now and the dang thing is new. I paid $260! Cheapskates. I'm going to have to delete that ad and write a whole different one with a real picture of the mattress. That means I'll have to take it down from its place up against my bedroom wall and find a way to make it photographable. I just want it gone! It's taking up valuable space.

I inquired about the cost of having a cleaning lady. I got a ball-park figure of $55 a visit. Not sure I will bother cause my problems involve clutter. Is she going to clean and dust around clutter? No. So that means I'll have to de-clutter myself. Once I've done that, it would be easy for me to just clean. YKWIM? So I don't think I'll go that route. I just have to do my own cleaning.

The landlady is the one who suggested that. She said she used to have a cleaning lady. I'll think about it some more. Maybe once I got the clutter crap put away, it wouldn't be such a big deal to keep it de-cluttered. I just don't know where to put stuff. There is plenty of closet space and stuff here but little shelving in those closets. Mostly rods to hang clothes and coats on. I need shelves. Badly.

Maybe I should look into buy some closet organizer stuff at one of those stores. That would work wonders toward fixing my problem. I will look into that before I consider paying for a housekeeper. Sounds like a plan, doesn't it?

Have a splendid day, ladies.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #532
Big Yapper!

It's lonely around here tonight. I will be trying to get to bed early tonight cause I need to leave the house around 9. I want to get there in plenty of time to get processed and ready for the lesson. Wish me luck! Will come back with stories.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #533
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, I should clarify that. He lost feeling in the knee area only. They re-strung his knee tendons & the feeling was lost just in the knee area. The sore happened to be on his knee, where he couldn't feel it. Its inconvenient because he doesn't realize when he's hurting his knee by kneeling on it, except for the other one.
Good for you having lots lined up for the week-end. Have a great time!
Sweet dreams!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #534
Big Yapper!

You too, cutie. Can't wait to tell of my kayaking class. It's been far too long to have gone without something I felt so essential to my inner happiness. No more, dear friends. The end of all those years of abstinence come crashing to a halt at 10 am sharp. Rain or shine, I get back in the game. It will bring me back to a much younger time and tap into parts of me that have long been asleep.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #535
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Have fun! Can't wait to hear about it.
I took Chloe to dinner and then to see Smurfs 2! Cute movie. My legs and feet are swollen now. Hoping by morning its gone. Chloe's dad wants to take her to a Birthday party tomorrow. Wonder if she'll go. Last week he wanted to take her to the park and she wouldn't go. She kept telling him no. We shall see!
I'm tired, so going to sleep. Hope you're sleeping by now too.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #536
Blabbermouth!!!

Girl, what a weekend! I won't expect to see you around here too much, considering.

Ian got cellulitis in his upper arm when he was in grad school in Tulsa. He had no cut, no bite, no visible break in his skin, but his upper arm became as hard and enlarged and red as an overstuffed sausage, and was hot to the touch. He went to a walk-in clinic after a few days of this, and they diagnosed it as cellulitis. The preferred theory was that he somehow got some kind of skin infection from his gym, presumably from sitting on one of the machines that causes contact with his upper arm. Very strange. A round of strong antibiotics cured it, and it's never happened again. Bizarre....

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
Old 08-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #537
Big Yapper!

I hope your swelling is down today. Did Chloe go with her Dad today? I was still awake when you posted last night and I read it but didn't want to reply until today. I had such a crappy night. Cisco barked one time very loudly at 3 am and that was all it took to screw up my sleep for the night. Then she barked again at 7 and I just put her outside. I had left the windows open so I'm sure she heard or smelled an animal outside and wanted to go chase it.

When she went out at 7, she just kept barking and barking. I had to bring her in cause she just wouldn't shut up. I felt bad for the people who live upstairs but worse for me cause I then had to wake up and go to the class. I should have been excited and well-rested but instead I was dragging my @$$ and PO'd.

The class got off to a very slow start. It was much more of a beginners class than I was lead to believe but it actually was the right class for me to start with. It took about an hour and 15 minutes just to get into the water with our boats. (The class was 3 hours.) It went really well and I was doing really good, right up until the last 10 minutes. That's when I fell out of the boat.

I know I'll be able to laugh about it later but I was so damned embarrassed. I was the only fat person of the three of us. And to be there trying to get back into the kayak with the assistance of the instructor was hard. I am so weak and of course, we didn't just take the easy way out and swim to shore and get back in. This is a lesson, after all.

So he had me swim up to the bow of his boat and hold on, then grasp his boat with both of my feet. Then he grabbed the bow of my boat (which was hull side up) and lifted it to allow what little water that was in it to drain out. The boat forms a seal on the water so it doesn't take on much water. It's when you are trying to right it that it can get waterlogged.

So then he got it right side up and pulled it side by side with his. Then he told me to swim around to the side of my boat and kick like crazy as I lifted myself up onto the boat. He held the boat firmly and as I got up onto the boat a bit, he grabbed onto my life vest. I just couldn't get all the way back up. I kept saying, "I'm stuck on something. I just can't do it."

Turns out I really was stuck on something (the metal ring that is used to tie the boat to a solid structure when you need to leave it unattended.) He said he'd never again have a student get up on that part of the boat. So I got back up somehow, got on my knees (which made the boat really tip back under my weight), and I moved slowly toward the cockpit on my hands and knees.

Then my knee got stuck behind the back of the frickin seat back! I wanted to scream and cry and was so damn embarrassed and ashamed and feeling so weak and fat and old. I finally got my left knee into the boat and then I could get my right knee unstuck. Eventually I got my legs and @$$ back where they should be and could reflect on what had happened and think how it all happened in the first place.

It happened in the twinkling of an eye. BAM. Over I went and out I popped. I was having trouble with this last stroke he taught us, to move the boat sideways (in order to sidle up along another boat) and I was practicing it. We had all been nestled up in a "four pack" and I was holding onto the edge of the other students boat but the instructor was holding the noses of all of our boats, so I let go of the students boat. I began to drift away and then he said I should come back in and hold onto the guys boat.

So I tried that damn maneuver he taught us (that I was having a bit of trouble with) and I must not have had my feet firmly planted on the foot pads and I lost my balance and that was all it took. OMG. I feel bad just sharing about this. I will NOT be telling my Mother because she is the sort to hyper-worry about everything and I will NOT give her that kind of ammo. I'll never be able to go boating without her bringing it up and telling me to be extra careful. Ain't going there. Nut-uh.

So the instructor said I did very well and the students said I did very well but it all felt like they were trying to make me feel better. I wanted to rewind and undo what had happened. It was like a bad dream. But, as cold as I thought the water was, it didn't feel bad when I was swimming in it.

I will be taking more lessons for beginners. And I will have even more motivation to go to the gym.

And now, it's "Miller Time." (It's 5 o'clock somewhere.)

Last edited by CherylB; 08-03-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Old 08-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #538
Big Yapper!

Cross-posted, Jessica. I hope you noticed and are now reading my horror story. Who's Ian? That sucks that he went through all that.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #539
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So sorry your first lesson was so rough. You're a brave girl! I have trouble taking lessons & being "in front" of the class... S-T-R-E-S-S! I'm really impressed that you're taking more lessons! Way to go! Use it for more motivation.
Hope the rest of your day goes well
Old 08-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #540
Big Yapper!

I have two classes that I see I can handle right now and squeeze in before the season ends. "Eskimo rolling" and "Intro to moving water." I just have to work the farm schedule out so I can take them. One is on a Saturday afternoon, one on a Sunday afternoon. Saturday might not be a problem but everything is up in the air with the other lady resigning.

Tomorrow we meet and go over the schedule. I'll take my kayaking class schedule with me so I can remember what days I need covered for me. Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.