Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #481
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
Cheryl, I loved the Hatfields and McCoys! It was sad and disturbing, but so good! Hey, have you watched House of Cards yet, the original series from Netflix? It stars Kevin Spacey as a senator and Robin Wright as his conniving wife. It is SO darned good. You know how you just can't look away from Kevin Spacey any time he's onscreen. I watched six episodes in a row while I was in WA. There are 13 total, so I'm planning to start watching the rest today! (If I can figure out how to get my TV onto Netflix. Everything is changed since I got Directv...)

Hallie tells me that Netflix's other original series, Orange is the New Black, is even better. Got that on my mental "to do" list, too!

So, it's cool and rainy here today! I had to laugh, because when I went out yesterday to get that pillow at Costco (which I did find, and love!), I drove by the car wash. Due to Dave's new motorcycle still being in my garage stall, my car sat outside the whole week I was in Seattle, so it had about a half inch of dust on it. So I drove through the automated wash. Not two hours later, it rained! Geez....it goes the better part of a year without raining here, then I wash my car and the clouds unleash--and on a perfectly sunny July day. Amazing...

Wishing you a great day, too, Tammy! Life is short--live in the moment and cherish every single day for its blessings--that's my new mantra.
Cross-posted with you. I'm the one who told you about that Netflix "house of cards" series. I was afraid you would be offended by it because, as you already know, it is "rough" at times. But I loved it, too. Glad to hear that you did also. (IKWYM. I love Kevin Spacey. Loved him in American Beauty, too.)

I agree about the Hatfields and McCoys. I think it's so horrible that "family feuds" could last so long. At the end of the series, it states that the feud lasted for 138 years. Mindboggling. And ironically, their names will forever be linked together. Not something I think they wanted to achieve.

I haven't looked into the "orange is the new black" yet. I'll read about it and then see if I want to dive in. Don't you love how you can watch as many episodes as you want to, one after the other? And no commercials! You can't beat it.

So funny about the rain after you washing your car. But rain is refreshing when you live in an area where it's rare. It's been rainy and cool here too. I'm soaking it all up. It's rejuvenating me!

I love your new mantra.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #482
Big Yapper!

Jessica, I hope your pellets arrive quickly! Until then, happy fat fasting to you.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #483
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Don't you love how you can watch as many episodes as you want to, one after the other? And no commercials! You can't beat it.
I read that Netflix's awareness that that's how people are watching it--one episode after another, perhaps devoting an entire weekend to watch a whole season--affects the way they pace the show. In regular network TV, they have to backtrack and have flashbacks and such to "catch you up" with what's been happening, but in these Netflix shows, they can just blaze forward without that cumbersome requirement!
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #484
Big Yapper!

Jessica, isn't it great? I love Netflix. I stream video as much if not more than I watch TV. I've grown very intolerant of commercials.

Anyway, here is a copy/paste of my barn day. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB
I did my barn shift today and I have lots more news. Ready? Okay.

That girl is taking the full-time job at the other farm. We don't know when her last day will be yet but we are going to have a meeting on Monday to work out the schedule without her on it. I talked with the manager just a bit ago on the phone and she said she didn't know if I wanted the extra hours. I told her that I did and that now that I can see that summer won't be here forever, I can handle this. (The past two days have been very Fall-like. Fills me with hope!)

Sunday is the fund raiser. We've all been assigned a "station" of sorts. The two things I've been given are easy and can be done relatively early so if I want to leave a few hours before I have to go to work, I can do that. That makes me .

They had volunteer riding lessons today. I haven't done a Friday in ages so I wasn't even sure if they were having lessons for volunteers anymore. Well, the lesson went fine (after we figured out what girth to use on the second western saddle) but after the lesson, this girl dismounted and then became light-headed. She bent over, then let herself lay down on the ground. In the dirt.

I'm passing out the dinner hay and I'm just walking into the mini's pen when I hear my name being called. I can't tell where the voice is coming from but it's far away. I stop and look around. I see the instructor up by the arena and I see a body lying on the ground. I hear, "Cheryl, we need you here now." She said it as calmly as she could, trying not to freak the teenager out. But I dropped the three flakes of hay, spun around and latched the gate, and hauled @$$ all the way up there. Adrenaline was making me fly.

She was conscious so that was good. Apparently she's had this ongoing problem with orthostatic hypotension (from what I could gather from listening to her) for years and they had done many tests and come up with no answers. Well, she laid on the ground talking with us and I had my barn volunteer head into the house to get her a drink of cold water. After a long time, the girl was sitting up on the ground, so that was an improvement.

The next step (a long time later) was her getting up off the ground and sitting on the blue plastic mounting block. Then eventually she linked her arm with the instructor's and she was walked into the house to sit and rest. They called her Mother to come and get her but also to tell her what happened.

I took Frodo back to the barn and removed his tack. The other barn volunteer gave him a light brushing and I told her he could go to his stall when she was done. It was freaky, ladies. A very freaky day. And before this incident occurred, I heard a woman saying, "Hello!" I'm looking around and there's this lady calling to me. I was in the mini's pen again; this time trying to muck it out.

I asked what she needed and she said that her little girl would like to see the horses. She said that she used to live on the corner, right near the farm back when it was first established. She had this darling little girl just old enough to be walking steadily so how could I say no? I took her inside and signed her in, then cleared it with the office manager just to make sure it was all right.

Well, if she had come after the volunteer-on-the-ground incident, I would have told her to come back another time. But it was before and I took the time to give them the tour. Ellen (the goat) was grazing and free so we went up to her to pet her. Then Ellen saw this adorable little girl and wanted to play. Naturally, that involves head-butting. We had to nip that in the bud.

We tried to entice the mini's to come and say hello but they wouldn't. The fact that the orange wheelbarrow and manure fork were still in there might have been the problem. We moved on. I showed the woman the volunteers in their riding lesson, then showed her the four other horses that were in their paddocks. It was at that time that I could see that Cowboy and Charmed were ready to come in and get away from the flies cause they were huddled together behind one of the duplexes.

So I told them I needed to get back to work, got her signed back out and sent her on her way. What a day, people. All I can say is that I love knowing that when the #%&! hits the fan, I can still run like the wind.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #485
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
What a great day! I bet they were so thankful to have a nurse there!
I'm so happy that things are going so well. Working through the hard times & reaching the "better things." So good you can run too! That's hard! Hope the young lady is fine.
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #486
Big Yapper!

I felt like a Quarter Horse. Not good for a race but good enough to get from point A to point B in a hurry! Just glad I had that in me. God, thank you for things you've built into us like Adrenaline. You give us everything that we need to succeed in life. Please give us the realization that we have it already and just have to do the work. Amen.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #487
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow, what a day!
Old 07-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #488
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Cheryl and Jessica, I posted on the last page, maybe you missed it?? Waving hi!!
catjrow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #489
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Jessica, just wanted to comment, I watched Orange is the New Black, I liked it! Could not get into house of cards, but liked the other one!

Waving Hi Cheryl, still lurking occasionally, hope you are doing well. How is the barn going? Heat any better up there yet??
I DID miss it, Cathy. Thanks for telling us it was there. to you, too. How are things in lovely Colorado? I need to encourage you to read the last two pages of my journal. Just read my posts and you'll know everything there is to know about how things are going at the farm and how the weather's been. Too much to tell over again! Lots going on. Lots more about to go on, too.

Landlady is here mowing and then no doubt, she'll be knocking on my door to come in and change the internet modem over to the new one. After she's done, I need to get out of here and head down to Walmart to buy a few items of clothing. Wish me luck and say a prayer. I hate hate HATE shopping for clothes when I'm this weight. Even when my weight is lower. I just hate it.

Have a great day, ladies. And a great weekend, in case I don't talk with you again before you're on my journal again.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #490
Blabbermouth!!!

Well hey, Cat! Great to "see" you. Do you keep up with the other gals from our old thread on the hcg board?

I still haven't started Orange is the New Black, but will once I get the last five episodes of House of Cards watched!

Cheryl, I firmly believe that one can find flattering clothes for any weight and size. Just dig in and make yourself try on a lot of stuff. Don't worry about the size tag--it means nothing, and varies so drastically from brand to brand and store to store that I honestly don't know why they even bother. If you find a pair of jeans or pants that look like they'd work for your body type, take three sizes back to the fitting room--the one you think you wear, the size below AND the size above. And try on all three! And REALLY LOOK at yourself from all angles in the mirror and choose the most flattering fit, no matter what the tag says on it!!

I think simple slacks, as devoid as possible of pockets and belt loops and decorative zippers and other things that add inches, work the best on most bodies. I also think it's best to add your color and interest up near your face--a beaded or ornamented neckline, dangly earrings, scarf, necklace, etc., or an embellished jacket or whatever! The last thing in the world I would ever want is sparkles on my hip pockets or some big, splashy pattern around my middle!

Good luck to you. You can do this.

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal

Last edited by verbqueen; 07-27-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Old 07-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #491
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Cheryl and Jessica, I posted on the last page, maybe you missed it?? Waving hi!!
P.S. Cathy, I just saw your peanut fluff recipe on the NK folder, and I'm going to have it for lunch today! Will report later!
Old 07-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #492
Big Yapper!

Thanks, Jessica. Sage advice and I appreciate any I can get. I'm looking for just casual things like capris but I will take your advice and take in multiple sizes to the dressing room.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #493
Blabbermouth!!!

Atta girl. I wish I lived closer. I'd go with you and be your "step and fetch" person for your dressing room adventures. I do hate having to re-dress, take stuff back out, bring more stuff in, undress again, etc.

I could also give you and unbiased opinion on what looks the best--you know, like a Mom! (I do this stuff for Hallie all the time.)

Ah well--pretend I'm there, cracking the whip!!
Old 07-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #494
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope things go well for your landlady & shopping.
I don't care much for shopping for clothes either... do it online mostly, but end up sending a lot of stuff back. Hope you find something you love!
Old 07-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #495
Big Yapper!

Thank you, ladies. The deed is done. I spent $100 and that was my limit. I bought just casual, loose-fitting, comfortable clothes. Capri's, tops, some sport bras, etc. I shopped for a new pair of sandals but they actually had nothing like I like. Flip flops are apparently in again. I will just wear my old ones until the fall apart.

I didn't try some things on until I got them home so a few things are going back. One pair of capris were actually too large, which was something I'm not used to experiencing. They fit fine in the legs but the farther they went up towards my trunk, the looser they got. They were like maternity pants or something.

The bras are the kind that come in a 3-pack and so I couldn't try them on in the store. They are barely acceptable but do give me options for supporting the girls. I don't love anything I bought, but I almost never do. That's why I find myself buying clothes in places like Good Will. I'm just as happy if not happier to buy the older, less "fashionable" clothing that takes me back a few years. But finding jeans in places like that is next to impossible. If they were nice ones, they got worn to the point of being see-through.

So it's done. Now I'm broke again until Friday when the big payday happens. I need to sell some of the nice crap I have for sale on Craigslist. Doesn't anybody out there have any money to spend???

Landlady couldn't get the new modem working so she gave up after calling the cable company and getting hung up about 3 times. May have been 4. I think they lose people in the transferring to other departments and so nobody comes back on the line to see if you made it, it just feels like you were hung up on. This cable company is taking years off of her life. So we went back to the modem we had and she's going to pay someone to come and do it for her.

I saw two massive black horses pulling a huge hay cart down the road. They were all dressed up in fancy tack with those things that look like nail heads on them (for decoration). They were just out for a drive. Nothing special going on, they said. I loved seeing them but have no desire to be around horses that are that massive. I like the ones we have much better.

My sister wants to know what we're doing for my birthday; where and when. What days am I working. They want to go to Rhode Island for a few days and I told them that as it stands right now, I'm working Sunday, Monday and Wednesday but that we didn't know when that farm chick's last day was going to be.

I was in Walmart at the time and so I was a little annoyed with her. She said she had talked to mom and "she hadn't any clue, either." So I said, "Well, maybe she didn't pass on what I told her, but the pizza place wasn't sure if they were going to close down for 2 weeks vacation during my birthday week" and she cut me off and said she already knew that. Then I said, "Well if we don't know where it's going to be, how can we know when it will be?" She's not happy with me. I'm not too thrilled with her either, to be truthful. She's got a bug up her @$$ lately and she's got this sarcastic tone to lots of her emails of late.

Family. What can ya do?
Old 07-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #496
Big Yapper!

Just called the pizza place. They close on my birthday and stay closed for 2 weeks. So I told my sister that Tuesday would work. So Mom is calling my other two sisters to tell them the place, day and time and we already have to move it back to a later hour due to one sister's job. Now Mom is calling sis number 2 to see if they can make it or not. I told her to tell them all I want is a card and the pleasure of their company.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #497
Big Yapper!

This is very close to what I saw today in my home town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hayride.jpg (95.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #498
Blabbermouth!!!

Good job getting the birthday thing settled, Cheryl! And wow, what an incredibly picturesque sight. I can't even really imagine seeing something like that. What you see around here is an unending river of cars....

Oh, and good job at the store. Sounds like you REALLY squeezed as much as you could out of $100!
Old 07-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #499
Big Yapper!

I envisioned you living in a nice area. I'm sorry things are uninteresting where you live. Obviously the trees aren't turning colors like they are in this picture but it was the closest pic I could find on the internet to show what I saw today. It was truly out of the ordinary. Seemed like they were trying to drum up some business but when I talked to them, they just said they were out for a ride. ???

Thanks, sweetie! I did get as much as I could out of the $100. I had a few other things in my cart but kept an eye on the total and when I hit the 100 mark, the rest got put back. I got $20 worth of gas. Mid-grade gas is $4.07 right now. I hate CT. My car is supposed to take Premium but when the prices spike like this, I go with mid-grade. If they go any higher, I get the cheap stuff and pour a "can" of gas treatment stuff in the tank. I heard that does the trick for cars like mine. (Super-charged engine, terrible gas mileage.)

Have a nice night, ladies. I have to get up and be at that fund raiser for 8:30 tomorrow so I'm going to have to get to bed extra early tonight. I hate mornings. Thank God we will have coffee and such there. Perks of being "on the inside." I just hope we have good weather this time. Last year it absolutely POURED the day of the fund raiser. (It's a motorcycle event but don't want to say its name so as to retain some semblance of anonymity.)
Old 07-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #500
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good job shopping.
Poor landlady... those things can be so frustrating. I love the picture of the horse cart.
My DH & DS worked a couple of winters with a horse-logger. They each use a giant horse to pull the logs out of the bush to the landing. They are "gentle-giants" & have quite the personalities. DH really enjoyed that job.
Have a goodsdx
Old 07-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #501
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good job shopping.
Poor landlady... those things can be so frustrating. I love the picture of the horse cart.
My DH & DS worked a couple of winters with a horse-logger. They each use a giant horse to pull the logs out of the bush to the landing. They are "gentle-giants" & have quite the personalities. DH really enjoyed that job.
Have a good rest!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #502
Big Yapper!

Double post but I see you changed "sdx" to rest. I believe you when you say they are gentle giants but I am just used to the little guys. Seems like more than is necessary to have the same amount of love and satisfaction. And I can't even imagine trying to straddle one of those beasts. Ya know? They are built for working and not much else. I bet they are wonderful to watch in a paddock when they are just cavorting. Hooves thundering down on the earth! Wow.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #503
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Double post but I see you changed "sdx" to rest. I believe you when you say they are gentle giants but I am just used to the little guys. Seems like more than is necessary to have the same amount of love and satisfaction. And I can't even imagine trying to straddle one of those beasts. Ya know? They are built for working and not much else. I bet they are wonderful to watch in a paddock when they are just cavorting. Hooves thundering down on the earth! Wow.
I didn't realize it posted. Molly jumped up & did that typing & posted it too, I guess!
Yeah, I get nervous around any size horse... they are powerful animals. My DH used to ride the back bar back, which is right behind the horse, kind of like skiing on the snow behind a horse.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #504
Big Yapper!

That sounds exciting and dangerous! I've never heard of anyone doing that. Will have to google if I think of it tomorrow night after my big day of fund raising and horse care. I'm about to dive into a deep sleep (oh Lord please!) and I will be in touch again tomorrow eventually. Wish me luck; especially with waking up and getting there on time. 0830 is so early for me. I will set all three alarms and hope for the best.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #505
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I envisioned you living in a nice area. I'm sorry things are uninteresting where you live.
Oh, my neighborhood is a very nice area, but believe me, there are no no horses or quaint, picturesque wagons to be seen. This is an urban area of 18 million people, after all!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #506
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
Hope you're having a great day! We're cooking out on the grill and enjoying this lovely weather. I like the picture of horse and wagon. I think "work horses" are beautiful. I've always been amazed at their size. Heck! I love horses!
Dd is working today (just 12-4 on sundays) and she'll be bringing bf over for a few hrs. Dh better cook lots of food. That guy can eat! LOL
Hope ya got up on time.....LOL Can't wait to hear about your day.
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #507
Big Yapper!

I'm absolutely BEAT. Was at the fundraiser at 0830 and left there around 1315 so I could get home and eat, change my clothes and kick back with Cisco for a while before heading to work. I had the three helpers that always come on Sunday so it was nice. We groomed everyone, the mini's got grazed on their lead ropes, everyone got sprayed for bugs, etc.

After work I locked up the place and drove to Walmart to return some of the stuff I bought the other day cause I'm so broke, and because I had three things that just didn't fit. After that, I drove with my cans (5 cent deposit each) to a store and loaded them one by one into a machine, then went in and got my money. Drove home and it was nearly 8 so I thought I'd stop and see what the hot deli had to offer, that was going to be half off in a few minutes.

I bided my time for almost 20 minutes, waiting until 8 to get the chicken. I bought things I wouldn't have bought, but I was killing time. Then I got back to the deli counter and it was all gone. I said, "Did someone buy all that chicken?" She said yes. I said, "It's not even 8 o'clock yet! I'm playing by your rules." I was pissed.

So I spent nearly all the money I just got back at Walmart and with the bottles. I have about $3 left. OMG. All because of chicken and wanting something hot and already prepared for dinner. Broke again.

But one thing I'm glad I bought was a nice set of marrow bones for Cissy. She's gnawing on it as we speak. She had a really long day too. We each needed a special treat. I slept like absolute crap last night even in spite of all the stuff I take. I am just hard-wired to hate getting up and being somewhere at a certain time. I was asleep enough to have snippets of dreams but I was just barely dreaming. Ever have nights like that? They suck! I woke and gave up before the three alarms ever even went off. I shut two of them off before they ever got around to ringing.

So tonight I can try and get caught up on sleep and wake up at a normal (for me) time tomorrow. I doubt I'll have any trouble falling asleep tonight. What a day.

I'll ttyt, ladies. Must close now. Have a lovely evening, everyone.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #508
Big Yapper!

18 million people= Lots of traffic! That sounds like NYC. I have no idea what the population of NYC is but I avoid all things city. That's what trains are for! Tammy, I hope you enjoyed your day of grilling and having dd and bf with you. Love the cute new Avi of Chloe, too.

Night night, ladies. I'm DONE.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #509
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
Thats Chlobug's silly face now! LOL
DD has today off....guess bf does too. Shes buying a blender today. She's drinking Shakeology shakes and I wanna make some shakes also. I need some vitamins! I'll look up shakes I can use yogurt in. Buy some fruit too. I had my dd get broccoli and caulifower and some low fat veggie dip last night. Mmmmm! I can eat that all day long!
I've lost 11 lbs so far. I'm finally into this. It took high cholesterol to wake me up, but I got it now. I want to lose 6 more before my surgery on the 9th. Idk if its possible, but gonna give it a shot.
I can't believe someone bought up all that chicken before 8. You think maybe the worker took them? You said before a worker did that.
Hope you slept well. BBL

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

"He who the Son sets free is free indeed"

Tammy
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #510
Big Yapper!

Cissy woke me at least 1.5 hours before I would have woken up on my own. She knows the squirrels are out there eating the seeds and she likes the sneak attack. She doesn't know how to stalk. She just races like a Greyhound. She can go zero to 60 in 3.2 seconds.

I was thinking it was going to rain but just saw the radar. The clouds are moving out and a high pressure zone is moving in. I hope that means low humidity to go with the 80 degree temps. Seems they never go out on a limb and really give us a detailed forecast. You just have to wake up and find out for yourself.

Will be going out tomorrow for that pizza birthday dinner with my sisters and mother. I'm assuming one bro-in-law will be there but know that the other will not be. After that, I don't think I'll have any more parties or anything for a month, until Labor Day. Then I will try to have a nice picnic here at home or do something at our favorite State Park. It seems like it would be less work to just have it here, but I'll think it over. Here, we can have the fire pit and a nice fire, there we can not.

Work today so I'll ttyl. Have a good one, ladies.