Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #391
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Look at you go! That's great you're losing wt. so well & not hungry. Hunger is the worst.
Our neighbors just bought a couple of kayaks also. They are having lots of fun with them.
Hope you find some great things for eating this week.
I had a brain-storm & bought the broccoli coleslaw mix, cooked it up & had it with my chicken & lighthouse jalapeno ranch dressing. It was so good. I usually just have cooked broccoli or stir-fry veggies with those, but this was so easy & yummy!
Have a good night.
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #392
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Let us know how the conversation goes with the pellet people, Cheryl! I'm anxious to hear!
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #393
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
sounds like a lot of fun Cheryl ! I can't wait to go tubing soon ......
Oh, do go soon! I wish I hadn't waited so long to get back to enjoying rivers. Why should something so fun and cooling in the hot summer be only for the young people? I remember when we'd go tubing, I'd get this rubber rash kind of thing on my upper inner arms from paddling to go over the right part of the rapids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tay65 View Post
Wow Cheryl! Learning more and more about you! You sound so excited! I'm glad you're going to do something fun thats exercise too. I am happy to hear you're going to the classes. One can never be too educated, especially something that can be so dangerous if you don't know what to do when you tip over. That always scares me when I see that on tv.
We have a place not real far away to go white water rafting and tubing. Its too late for me to even attempt that, but sounds fun.

A guy came today to put in a new window. I'm happy now its done. Theres some water damage so thats being repaired tomorrow. Grrrrr! Always something!
Had a blow out at my dd this evening. She isn't responsible at all and I let her hear about it. I can't tolerate her nonchalant attitude any longer. Its time for her to grow up. When her younger brother is more mature there's a problem.
Speaking of ds, he was told about his cheating gf and he confronted her. Well, we all got deleted from her fb! LOL I'm sad he has to deal with this over there in a war, but he has 7 months with no alcohol to deal with this. Lord help her if I see her though. I'll have nothing nice to say.
Well, gotta go to sleep. Raining and window is open = a great nights sleep!
You might be able to tube but with your back problems, it might not be wise. Even just to tie a tube to shore and just float around and get wet is fun! I have pictures of my tubing and canoeing days. If I can find some, I'll get them scanned, uploaded to the computer and post. Don't expect that anytime soon. Sometimes going through old pictures has a negative effect on me and I'm on a good high right now. Don't want to spoil it!

Sorry about the rift with your daughter. Sounds like they were things that needed to be said. She's a beautiful girl and sometimes they think they can skate through life, just having a good time. You make it too easy for her to live that way. It's not your fault but if she didn't have you to care for Chloe all the time, she'd actually have to be a mother.

Your son heard all the warnings about the gf before and so now he knows it's not just people overreacting. Funny that she "unfriended" you on FB. He didn't marry her, so maybe this is a good thing. He might have to secure his checking account since she can access his money. That would be a terrible thing for him to return home only to find out he's totally broke.

Sorry about the window and water damage. Is that in your house or the one you're flipping? You had your windows open last night? I hope that means we have cooler and lower-humidity weather coming our way. I've got all windows locked down tight and a/c's and fans blowing all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Look at you go! That's great you're losing wt. so well & not hungry. Hunger is the worst.
Our neighbors just bought a couple of kayaks also. They are having lots of fun with them.
Hope you find some great things for eating this week.
I had a brain-storm & bought the broccoli coleslaw mix, cooked it up & had it with my chicken & lighthouse jalapeno ranch dressing. It was so good. I usually just have cooked broccoli or stir-fry veggies with those, but this was so easy & yummy!
Have a good night.
I know it. So many people who've done different kinds of hhcg have complained of hunger but I never had a problem with that with the Vox pellets. I'm quickly running out of what I have and that makes me very nervous. I'll use the newer yucky pellets if I must but I really don't like them at all.

Your veggie concoction sounds yummy! I did go shopping today and they had cottage cheese on sale! 1/3 the regular price so I bought 8 containers. I bought some low calorie electrolyte-replacing drinks for when I'm at the farm, too. I think that could be part of my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
Let us know how the conversation goes with the pellet people, Cheryl! I'm anxious to hear!
I called them today and got an answering machine. I couldn't help myself. I said, "Oh! Even your phone number doesn't work. Okay." Then I went on to explain my situation and left my name, address and phone number. I didn't feel that was enough so I went back to the confirmation email and replied to them that way.

I explained everything all over again and said I also left a voice mail. I told them I want a full refund, the seals on the bottles are in tact and I just need to know where to ship them back and have it in writing that I'm being refunded. Then I went to their website. I couldn't find the exact same one that I ordered the pellets from originally which was weird. But this page also said Vox. So I went along and acted like I was ordering some and got to the point where you get closer to the check-out and it does say Vox when it's all said and done. So I ordered two more bottles and this time it should be what it is supposed to be.

Jessica, I'll email you with the website that sells the Vox pellets but I'd feel better doing that once I actually get them delivered. I'd hate for you to go through this, too.

I updated my ticker. Cisco is at the groomers. She said she was running behind because someone brought their dogs an hour late. So it will take a longer time to get my baby back but I told her that was fine. That is why I never make appointments for other things on a work day. Too many possible snafu's. (Do you guys know what snafu stands for? )

Have a nice day. I work tomorrow and get paid from the farm. Good thing cause I'm surprisingly broke at the moment. I might have to borrow $100 from my Mom to get me through the month. I hate doing that cause it puts me behind that much $$ for the next month. Oh freakin' well.

Last edited by CherylB; 07-09-2013 at 09:45 AM..
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #394
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds good... electrolyte stuff. You probably don't have to worry about the salt in it. That would be cool if that solves the exhaustion problem!

I sauteed 3 kinds of peppers tonight & made a chicken fajita salad.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #395
Big Yapper!

You're on a yummy roll with your eating, Debby. Come cook for me! I'm lazy these days.

I was going through some papers that had collected in my bedside table drawer and in there were some of the test results that I had gotten copies of. I had kind of taken their word for it that they came out normal, but in going through the very technical parts point by point, it shows clearly that my cardiac conditioning is near the bottom of the scale. It says I need to live a more active lifestyle. Why they didn't sit me down, point that out and tell me that, I don't know. If ever such a talk would have been a seed that would take root, it would have been then and there.

So clearly I can't keep living this sedentary life I live on my days off. I have to push myself every day or my heart is not going to get stronger and more capable of handling the heavy load of living and working. I'm upset that I had to read that for myself and that they didn't have a "heart to heart" with me. They knew how desperately I needed an answer for why I was struggling so, and why I have continued to struggle.

The farm work alone isn't enough to build up my endurance. I'm going to have to really step it up and push myself past my comfort zone on a regular basis. I don't see any other answer.

On that dismal note, I will say goodnight. Sleep well, friends.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #396
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, that's sure a good thing to have found out in print... maybe post it on the fridge! Something about it being confirmed in writing. We know, but we can trick ourselves into thinking "its not so bad." Guess you'll let them know when next you visit, that you would have really appreciated the heads up.
Yeah? I really don't like cooking either... but I did miss my veggies & discovered fajita's in California. So, I will be doing more veggie-cooking.
Walking your dog would be an awesome start to being more active for both of you... guess that means a morning walk though, hot there, isn't it?
Hope you have a great day!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #397
Big Yapper!

You never had fajita's before that? Wow! They are so yummy and healthy. I used to go to a restaurant called Chili's and they had this thing called Mushroom Jack Fajita's. OMG! Even without the tortillas, it was awesome. That is the beauty of Atkins. You can chow on things like that, WITH the sour cream and guacamole that comes on the side.

Yes, I will talk with the Dr next time I see him about the little "slip up." It was always someone else giving me the results. I asked them two times to mail me a copy of my last labs and the last test I had done. Still haven't gotten them so I'll be sure to get them before I leave the office next time. I think I have a follow-up appointment with the Dr in a week or two.

Yes, walking the dog would be excellent for us both but I can't bear to be out in this oppressive humidity and heat. It's unrelenting. I have no choice but to grin and bear it at the farm but I can't voluntarily go out in that. I get heat stroke and feel faint. I even experience waves of nausea when it gets really bad. And I sweat profusely and there is no evaporative cooling when the air is thick.

I need to run now. Landlady is mowing the lawn and I know she'll want to come in to get one of the window a/c's that are in my attic. She already asked me how many were still up there (cause I brought two of mine with me, just because I couldn't sell them.) So all told, right now I have 5 window a/c's at my disposal. I'm only using two right now and relying on fans to make the cold air reach back to the kitchen. Working fine so far.

Have a lovely day!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #398
Big Yapper!

A little back story before I tell you of a conversation I had today. It stormed hard before I went to the farm. Several hours before, and then it let up on the way there. Soon afterward though, it rained hard again and kept raining hard; with varying intensity.

I'm done with my shift and I'm sitting in the equine manager's office, writing her a note telling her what she needed to know regarding what I did, etc. In walks this volunteer-coordinator in training. "Oh! I thought you were (the manager.)" I said, "No, she's upstairs. Trying to have an actual day off." (hint hint. She lives in the apartment above her office.) Then she says, "How are you?" and tries to make it sound like she really means it.

I'm DRENCHED. Sitting on a towel on the leather chair so as not to ruin it. I look up at her, give her a very wry grin, raise my hands and just look at her. You know; as if to say, "Isn't it obvious?" Then she says, "Are you wet?" I say, "Well, being out in the driving rain for 3 and a half hours will do that to ya." Then she takes a step closer and puts her hand on my shoulder to see! Then she asked if it was a least a cool, refreshing rain. I couldn't get her to leave me the hell alone so I could right my note and get the hell out of there. Then she says, "Well go home. Get some rest." OMG. And you have to understand that this woman is just completely out of touch with what we do there and has no equine experience. I don't like her at all.

So the horses were all in their stalls. Windows all closed, no fans running. Rain had stopped and I looked all around at the sky. I'd seen on the radar online earlier that we were going to get another wave of storms later on but I thought we had more time than we obviously did. So I turned them all back outside, like a good barn girl. Opened all windows, plugged in all fans. Put on all fly masks. This took time cause I was alone.

I get them all out and after about 20 minutes, it starts to rain again. (Maybe closer to 15.) I figure, "Well, I just hosed off Charmed, now God is rinsing off the rest of them for me" and decided to leave them out. Then it got heavier. And it started to thunder, but it had been thundering a little bit all along. So then the sky opens up, and so does the window in the manager's apartment. "Cheryl! They can't go out whenever there is thunder." So out I go to retrieve them all again. (And just for the record, they've held therapeutic lessons in the rain and thunder. Just sayin'.)

I swear to the Lord above, people. If I had left them in, she would have said I should have put them out. So then the tapes start playing in my head about how I feel I can never do the right thing, how I hate working outdoors in CT (a large portion of the time), how I'm physically not up to the challenge of this job, yada yada.

So I get them all in, put their halters and stuff in the grain room and start walking down to the barn with a wheelbarrow to begin mucking out the stalls. The volunteer is there, wearing a rain jacket (like all smart people do.) She comes into the barn and I start talking. "Don't ask me how I'm doing." Then after a couple of minutes, she says she needs to talk to me. It was hard for her to say it but she doesn't feel she's getting the kind of experience she was looking to get when she started there. She said she's basically doing the same things week after week and she is going to become a Vet and wants to volunteer at a place where she can learn more of the medical stuff.

I told her that I heard what she was saying and that I wasn't upset with her (she thought I might be cause we are close). I told her I'd miss her but I completely got where she was coming from. So then we went about mucking stalls and I had that added into the mix go round in my brain. I start thinking about resigning too.

At some point, one of the instructors comes out to the barn with a volunteer who came to be a side-walker, not knowing the lessons were cancelled. Happens all the time. Or they don't show up, figuring they won't be held. Anyway, this instructor is overly nice. OVERLY nice. She asks me how I'm doing. I said, "Not well, but I don't want to verbalize it just yet." She looks all concerned and she asks me what's wrong. I said "I don't want to talk about it right now." Plus that brand new volunteer/stranger was standing there with her and I wasn't going to spill my guts in front of her. And this instructor isn't someone I would take into my confidence, just because she goes overboard trying to say how much she appreciates what you do, and stuff like that. If she knew I was contemplating quitting, she'd never let-up on the niceness. Do YKWIM? Have you ever met a person like that? I like her, but I have to keep her at a distance.

So later on I was in the office trying to dry off and regroup before heading back out into the rain again and there she was. I went ahead and told her how I was feeling. I also told her that my best weekday volunteer just told me she wasn't going to be coming here anymore. Told her how the summer is kicking my @$$, how I am not young enough or physically fit enough to do this job under extreme conditions, and also how I felt that I was always making the wrong decisions. She listened and she didn't pry beyond that. I swore her to secrecy and she promised. I said even if I stopped working there, I would still volunteer. She said, "Well volunteer on Wednesdays so you can be with me." Too cute.

It felt good to talk about it to a live human being, in the same room as me. I talk about it often on this thread but that's entirely different. Later on, I also shared the information with the volunteer because I didn't want her to think my pissiness was related to her leaving.

Oh! And now I'm having car trouble. Happened on the way home. Smoke came out from under the passenger side, up under the hood. And I smelled smoke or something burning. I was just a stone's throw from home at that point so I pulled in the driveway, popped the hood and let the engine run. Something involving the Serpentine belt is squealing and about to die on me. One day before I intended to drive 2 hours north to buy a kayak.

I had to call the guy and tell him I couldn't come. I feel like someone who made up a story to get out of buying something. I hope he understands that this actually happened to me. I didn't tell him about the wiper problem but the driver's wiper sometimes over-shoots the windshield and gets caught on the door. I've had it tightened multiple times and last time I did it myself but it seems it can be tightened no tighter. WTH?!

Car problems and I'm seriously thinking of quitting my miniscule part time job. I want a crystal ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #399
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So sorry you had such a rough day today Cheryl. Praying for you.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #400
Big Yapper!

Thank you.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #401
Big Yapper!

Well, it's another day. I haven't quit my job and now I have 3 days off. I'll take it. I got a drug refill in the mail yesterday and I looked at the "refill after" date. It said 9/6. Two months from now, it will be September and this beast of a summer will be behind us. I will try and keep my head and keep trudging through the hard times, keeping my eye on the upcoming Fall. Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. :/

I hope everyone is having a nice day.

Oh, yeah. Didn't hear back from the kayak guy. He's probably figuring, "Yep! Just like all the other people who say they'll come for sure and then don't. I won't hold anything for anyone ever again!" I hope that's not what he's thinking. I really do want the boat but obviously I can't drive 4 hours round trip with a car that's about to break down.

I called the mechanic but he's either "on a test drive or under a car with his hands full" (that's what his answering machine message said. ) so when he calls me back, I'll set up an appointment. I hope he can get me in tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, it's Cissy's follow-up Vet visit #2. Her ulceration is still there so I'm going to call them, tell them about the car, the ulcer, and keep medicating her. I can't believe how long this damn thing is taking to heal. I feel so bad for her. I'll reschedule for next Tuesday when I'm off again.

Last edited by CherylB; 07-11-2013 at 09:21 AM..
Old 07-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #402
Big Yapper!

Oh, yeah! And I lost 2 more lbs...
Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #403
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm glad you didn't quit, Cheryl. I think you'd regret it if you did.

I just got a notice from that company we ordered our hhcg from. They no longer have Vox. I just told them to go ahead and send me their brand. It does contain some hcg, unlike the weird "fake Vox" I ordered a few months ago!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #404
Big Yapper!

You've got to be kidding me! I ordered mine from them and I haven't gotten any such message. I only ordered right before you, probably in the same day. OMG. If they don't have it, I'm going to be so disappointed.

The other company said they would refund the money I spent on the other two bottles that weren't Vox. He said I must have come across an old web page that was still floating around out there. They don't sell Vox anymore. Why is it so hard to find now? You can get cannabis by prescription but try and find some Vox pellets and see how that goes!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #405
Blabbermouth!!!

Whoa, girl--look at your weight go down! You are losing like gangbusters!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #406
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So glad you are giving the job thing some time. You're right, you can get through this... and next summer you will be slim & fit, able to handle it much better!
Sorry Cissy's not healing fast. Hope you can get your car going soon.

Bummer about your hgc brand. Would that be because of government crack-downs on it?

Enjoy your time off
Old 07-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #407
Big Yapper!

Jess, that's why I'm so dead set on staying with the same pellets I'm using. Can't argue with success. Right?

Debby, I guess it could be the reason why it's harder to find hhcg on the market. I've seen it sold at places like Walmart but never stopped to see the brands or what have you. You're right about next year being easier for me at work. I have to keep going onward and working on my fitness, not just weight loss.

I moved the treadmill today from the back of the house all the way to the front, which was no small endeavor. Had to move furniture and wiggle it through 3 doorways but I did it so I can put Cisco on it every day. She loves walking on it and I love being in my bedroom. Now she can walk on it while I am on the computer being comfortable and social. It really makes the room look congested but she needs it.

I'm taking the car to the mechanic in the morning so I'll take Cisco with me and then she and I will walk back home (mostly downhill, thank God.) Not sure if I'll ask for a ride back when he's done with it, or at least when he knows what's wrong and how much it will take to fix it. It only happened that one time yesterday; the smoke and the burning smell. It has to be one of the motors that runs along with the serpentine belt. I don't know enough about cars to take a better guess.

I rescheduled Cissy's vet appointment for Tuesday cause of the car. It was supposed to be tomorrow. Se la vi.

I may be repeating myself. If so, I apologize. Need to head to bed now. Ttyt.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #408
Big Yapper!

Well, I took the car to the "dr" and now I wait. I tried to get there earlier but made it before 11. He said 11 would be the latest. I just couldn't wake up. Took Cissy with me, brought her into the office and this woman stepped back and said, "Keep him away from me. I'm allergic to dogs." I said, "I only brought her cause I'm walking back home." She was on a flexi-leash and I had it in the locked position so she couldn't go far from me.

Went outside with the guy to quickly show him what I saw and heard coming from where and what I did to see if I could tell more where it was coming from. He said he'll call me later. The walk down the hill was actually lovely! Humidity felt low, there was a great breeze blowing right into my face the whole way, until I got down to the flat lands where I live. We cut through the liquor store parking lot and turned for home. Must've been only about a half mile. We'll walk back.

As we were walking past the ARF (animal rescue foundation, in case that doesn't make sense) there on the main road, we saw a man and a woman taking two tiny little dogs around on a leash. I think they found homes! They looked like they came from the same litter of pups. We're happy for them. Cissy was a rescue pup, too.

She was in one of those mobile Vans that they take on occasion and park in a shopping mall parking lot and place an article about it's upcoming occurrence. That's how I found her. Another nurse that worked with me on the night shift knew my dog had been killed by a speeding car two weeks before and how devastated I was. So I went there and looked at what they had to offer. Some cats, some dogs. But Cissy was sitting there very still. Just looking out the door of her crate.

All black and just covered in wavy curls. I took her out and set her on a counter in the Van to get a better look at her. She was darling and only 8 weeks old. Already spayed! I couldn't imagine what kind of life she had or how old she was when separated from her mother and the litter. They said she was a Spaniel mix so naturally I thought Cocker Spaniel and figured she'd end up being pretty small.

Some other person was in the van and when they saw I was adopting her they said, "Oh! We were looking at her, too." Sorry! She's mine! And it worked out great cause I was living 20 feet from a lake and she's a swimmer so she swam every day, multiple times a day for three years, except when the lake froze over in winter. And as soon as a big enough circle would thaw in the Spring, she'd swim in a circle in that. Cold but she didn't care.

So that's my Cissy story. Something very freaky to add to that, though. One day I was walking her up the very long driveway to the mailbox to grab the mail. She was on a leash and I wanted her to be aware of the road but that she would never come out here alone (there was a fence put up by my landlord by that time. I almost insisted upon it.) There was no real traffic. I don't recall any car or truck going by. But suddenly, she sensed something and she tried to race back to the house, pulling as hard as she could all the way back. I had to hold her back and she was just a little thing.

I swear she sensed that Keisha had been killed there three weeks before. It was as if her spirit was there warning her. I have no other explanation but that and I truly believe she sensed that something terrible happened on that road. Freaky.

Well, car mechanic just called me and said that what happened was the a/c compressor got a hiccup and stopped turning for a few seconds while it smoked and smelled like something burning. He said it's running fine now and might run fine for a long time, so I can come pick it back up whenever I want. Then I asked him to check the windshield wipers cause I KNOW the drivers side one needs to be replaced. Not the rubber part but the arm or the thing that the arm attaches to the motor. He's going to call me back.

Looks like I'll be walking back up the hill pretty soon! Lucky little Cissy. And lucky me. I'm doing something for my heart health. Yea Me!!

Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by CherylB; 07-12-2013 at 08:52 AM..
Old 07-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #409
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's great that your car is ok!
Enjoyed hearing Cissy stories too.
So happy for you & Cissy getting your walks in today. Great heart-health for both of you.
Time for me to go on ours now!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #410
Big Yapper!

Cissy and I walked back up the hill to get the car and it wasn't bad. She does well on a busy street. She's very responsive to the leash, if I pull it to one side or the other. It's definitely better weather than we've been having but I still broke a sweat all across my forehead. Paid the guy $20 for fixing the wiper blade (basically just a token for his time but he charged me that much.) Now tomorrow I can drive to Massachusetts with confidence.

Heard on the news that gas is going up again in a hurry. I will top-off my tank before I leave for the kayak. It feels so strange to be driving for so long in one direction. I know that sounds absurd but I used to drive all over the country with no fear at all. That was 10 years ago when I stopped the travel nursing and since then, the farthest I've driven was to Hershey PA for the weekend and then back home.

Maybe it's because I'm turning around and driving right back that makes me concerned. Four hours of driving (at least) and it will be the first time Cisco's ever gone anywhere beyond just going to a family members house. I am looking at this as a test run for her and for me, because I want to drive to West Palm Beach FL in the Fall. (Early November) That seems beyond my capabilities nowadays. It seems beyond what my now 15-year old car can handle, too. But I just feel like I need to do this.

I used to always stop in Virginia Beach to stay for a few days with my step daughter and her family but they have since moved to New Orleans. I was just about to say I have no one to visit on the way down there but then caught myself. I have my niece and her partner in Maryland. That's going to be another stop along the way. I'll make other plans for stops along the way and make the most of it. Now, if God is willing, it will come to pass.

Wow. Just writing all that down in a single post has my head spinning. I don't have the bankroll that I used to have when I worked as a nurse. I could handle breakdowns if they occurred. Now I'm flying on a wing and a prayer.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #411
Blabbermouth!!!

So was today kayak-day? Are you out there driving? Saying a quick prayer it all goes without a hitch!
Old 07-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #412
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
So was today kayak-day? Are you out there driving? Saying a quick prayer it all goes without a hitch!
You prayed too late! I was home by then and the drama already played-out. Will copy/paste everything I just wrote over on the horse lover's thread. Pics included!
Old 07-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #413
Big Yapper!

OMG, ladies. I just got back from getting the kayak. All went well until on the trip home. I was getting off the interstate and onto a secondary road that was about 15 miles from home and there was a signal light at the end of the "ramp." I tried to stop for it and I braced the dog, who was standing between the buckets seats (her front feet and her face, anyway). My brakes went! SOB!!! This is the third time this has happened in the past couple of years.

In the other two times, I broke a break line by setting the emergency brake when parked on a very steep hill or someone's driveway. Well, applying the brakes that hard must have done the same thing that setting the e-brake does, which is increase the pressure in the brake line. I couldn't stop for the light but I was going pretty slowly through a fully red light. Thank God nobody had pulled out in front of me from the side road.

I immediately pulled to the shoulder and popped the hood because there was smoke coming out of there like crazy! I didn't see anything wrong so I got back in the car and applied the brakes. Smoke billowed everywhere! So, clearly yet another broken brake line.

I called the mechanic from that very spot on the road and he's closed for the rest of the weekend. I told him that it wasn't the a/c like he said, but the brake line. Thanks for nothing you moron with a good reputation! I just spend $150 on a boat and now I have just the bare essential amount of money to make it to my next farm payday.

So, just like the other two times (which happened much closer to home), I drove home by down-shifting into 3rd, 2nd or even 1st and keeping tons of space between the car ahead of me and myself. At one point I put on my emergency lights but people acted like they couldn't see them! I had to put my arm out the window and wave people to go around me. Makes me so MAD.

I'm home and I'm safe and I am the owner of a beat up but "sea-worthy" kayak. Here are the pics of it as it sits right now. Not sure if I'm going to take it up to the Fish and Game and tie it to a tree or something for now, or if I'm going to stow it in the basement. I'm leaning toward the pond. At least that's closer to water. Now I just need a paddle.

Will address other questions after a while. Need to go take care of the boat. Need to find a strong lock. I already have a great cable that's covered with heavy plastic. The lock is what I need to hunt for.

(I'll post the pics at the very end, once I've pasted all the posts I wrote.)
Old 07-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #414
Big Yapper!

(Someone said that's why they keep their AAA membership.)

I keep my AAA also but I'll be damned if I'm going to call for a tow truck when I know I can limp back home to my own mechanic. Ya know? I just limped to the local CVS and bought a combination lock, then limped up to the Fish and Game and found a little slot to put my boat into. I took pics cause it's so sad to leave her amongst a row of ordinary boats that look like they haven't been used in 10 years.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #415
Big Yapper!

My phone's camera takes such crappy pics. It's a dull, overcast day and it looks like the sun was blazing off those boats. I said it before and I'll say it again. I HATE MY TOUCHSCREEN PHONE THAT MY SISTER TALKED ME INTO UPGRADING FOR. I was so happy with my Blackberry. I had it for over 4 years! It was still going strong.

To answer the question about where I plan to use the boat, I am going to use it on rivers but for now, I'll just putt-putt around the pond once I get a paddle. I'm only 30 minutes from the Farmington River and that's where the tubing/canoeing/kayaking place is where they charge people for rides and lessons. The water level isn't very high right now so it will be the perfect time to play around. But I will take my lesson on August 3rd, providing I can still afford to. Haven't bought my seat in that class yet.

WOW, people. What a day! I'm happy that I didn't let my apprehension about driving that far away get the best of me. I'm happy I procured the boat and I'm happy to be back home and safe. Cisco did great in the car. She never laid down for more than a couple minutes and she never napped. Most of the time she just sat like a human being behind my seat and looked out the window. She's a trip.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #416
Big Yapper!

Okay. The kayak is a Perception Corsica Overflow and here are the pics of when it was parked in my driveway and now where it is up at that little pond.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 025.jpg (43.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 026.jpg (50.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 027.jpg (47.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 036.jpg (90.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 037.jpg (89.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #417
Big Yapper!

Just made this picture my computer desktop image!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg River Kayaking.jpg (85.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #418
Blabbermouth!!!

My goodness! Sheesh,what a day.

And yet, you were blessed that it happened so close to home, so that you were able to get yourself, your dog and your kayak home!
Old 07-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #419
Big Yapper!

So true.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #420
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congrats on the new kayak! So glad you made it home safely.
Pray its not too pricey to fix the brake problem.
Must of been a real feat getting the kayak to the pond by yourself.
Nice that Cissy is a good traveler. That's a real plus for Molly too.