LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Finally bread....

Ok, ok it still has the consistency of coconut flakes, but it was a neutral taste. So this morning was a really nice start to the day which already paints itself as a grey day with little daylight and showers, so perfect timing.

As you can see the bread was important. I even forgot to mention the weigh in today 87 kilos on the nose or 191.6 lbs. With all the up and down recently I have forgotten if this is a new low or not.

Today is baking day as the weather lends itself to that. I have some weird and hopefully wonderful ideas.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]

Last edited by Aleina; 06-16-2013 at 06:39 AM..
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #182
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
That pizza looks amazing! I can see why you couldn't stop. I bet it was a heavenly!

Let me know how baking went yesterday!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Good Monday morning. To get the numbers out of the way 87.1 kilos or 3 ozs up from yesterday . I could have sworn that I was ready to go into the 86s from the way my body felt, but no. Tomorrow is another day.
Cold here today, 3.3 deg centigrade around 40F I think.

Well, Sunday was indeed baking day. I made a health bread with all sorts of weird and wonderful things, avocado, zucchini, coconut and brazilnuts. Well, it lived up to half of the expectation, the weird part....
Here, doggie doggie ....

A good realisation came out of that though. Nothing replaces bread in my eyes, no matter how many people people tell me that this or that will do the trick, so the search is over.

I did not make the cheesecake after all. It is too much for me and would dry before I can eat it all, so I reverted back to cheesecake in a glass. Basically a coconut flour and oil base with flavoured cream cheese on top. Nothing else needed. It did not even last long enough to take a photo...

I also did a bit of reading this weekend. I posted about it in the main lobby. Musings of a German food scientist gone rogue and indicting all the healthy eating advice. A very graphic sort of guy, made me laugh out loud several times with his ad absurdum logic.

Last edited by Aleina; 06-17-2013 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Good morning, Monica. I was writing when you stopped in. I think the real projects will come later when I can crank up the carbs a little. With just 20-30 carbs there is just not enough wiggle room in terms of ingredients to make something worthwhile.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:00 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Good morning today we have 87,4 kilos. I really would like to see a definite 86.something soon. Other than that so far nothing to report.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #186

I completely understand about the baking projects being once you can have more carbs. Makes total sense. Sounds like everything is going well!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #187
Senior LCF Member

As I don't have much to say today I will make an attempt at what has been spooking around in my head recently and that is a summary of how I evaluate my wellbeing on this diet so far. Scale of one to 10 sort of thing over the last 28 days.

Pounds lost : 6
Mental wellbeing: 10
Physical wellbeing: 7
Looks : 7
Boredom factor : 7

To put some flesh on the bones ..

POUNDS LOST : I am way below what I could loose in the past in a similar timeframe, but I also do remember having a plateau around roughly the same weight as now, so it could also be a set point. If I remember the last time it was around 85 kilos.

MENTAL WELLBEING : OFF the scale. I am equanimous re the scale and the rest of life. Food is nice and should be made as nice as poss within the guidelines but no serious fretting . Some rebelliousness re bread and wine but no showstoppers.

PHYSICAL WELLBEING : Not entirely happy. In the mornings especially I am out of breath when required to do reasonable exercise like climbing a not too steep street, later in the afternoon it feels different. In general energy levels fluctuate and I fall asleep at 10.30 watching a film. Magnesium has helped a little to balance it . Before the diet I fell asleep too, but not "without fail" 50/50 at best. Magnesium has definitely helped with feelings of general stiffness when rising and has absolutely helped with my chronic ankle pain which only flares up only ever so often now.Well,it is 4 weeks in so there is time.

LOOKS : I love having lost the abdominal fat, not all of course but sufficiently to change my silhouette. The high fat intake has made my skin more supple and less dry. So far no signs of stretch marks around the abdomen, but on the arms I do. My hair is overly greasy however or maybe it only seems that way as it has been bone dry all summer.

BOREDOM FACTOR: Tolerable. I miss bread and quick grab things, but then again quick grab might not be so desirable after all. Most of all I miss having a bite of something,anything. Everything seems to be soft food , except for meat However. in terms of being able to stick to it no contest. While griping, I really don't need anything more. There are some favourites that keep me going. I would list chilis, mascarpone cheese and BPC coffee and tea.

Last edited by Aleina; 06-18-2013 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: reduce font size
Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #188

way to look at things! Keep it up!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Well,well, well! Nice news the 86s are finally here or 86.9 /191.4lbs to be exact. I had been just at this point when I decided that wine was not such a bad idea after all, so the whim took one week to work off.

I am surprised though that it happens today as yesterday I used HWC,CCO and mascarpone cheese with joyous abandon. After reading something that Ravenrose had written about insulin resistant people not being very efficient with foodmetabolisation at breakfast time I had BPC only yesterday. I was hungry at 11.45 as at that point I had still stinted with the CCO etc. I am doing the same thing today with more fat and some grassfed cow butter this time. Let´s see if I make it to my traditional one o´clock lunch.

The barbecue did not happen yesterday. We thought we could tough it out, but as the barbecue is on the boat with the cold front finally arriving with cold arctic winds it was not an option. Panfried steak it was with extra locarb roasted turnips. I say extra locarb as I burned half my allocated portion in the oven.

One culinary success I can report is vanilla extract. I found a very nice and fresh vanilla pod in our organic market. It cost $2.50 which I thought remarkably cheap. So I bought a bottle of vodka with it and stuck the bean in. It has been in there three days now and it is already useable. They say you need 6 or 7 to one bottle of spirits but I do not see that. I will buy another when I go next but that will be that. Why Vodka? Firstly it has no taste of its own and secondly I don't like it, so it is safe from overuse.

Well, that is that for now.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Coldest day of the year so far. At 9.45am we have 2.2C or 36F . For here that is very cold.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #191

That does seem cold! Stay inside girl!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:54 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Good morning ! 87.2 kilos today, but it is okay and even good as TOM is in the house .
Nancy, did not manage to stay indoors yesterday. I was so invigorated by the cold I went out all day. Finally got my headphones. I wanted cheap and good,which is very hard these days, but it seems I managed it. They were ten dollars and sound ok. Nothing more to report so far .
Old 06-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #193

Way to get out and enjoy your unusually COOLER weather! I love cooler days. Here, the norm for the summer is 95-100* with major humidity. YUCK-FEST for sure! Thus far, this summer, not like that. Nice cool mornings for my walk, today was 68*. Evenings are in the 70's. LOVE IT! Saw on the news yesterday though that ALASKA is having a HEAT wave. WHO KNEW!?!?!?!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Good morning, today we have a brand new number.
86.8 or 191.18 lbs.
A very small victory, but that it happens during TOM makes me happy. I won't change my stats yet as there are three ounces to go to 191 exactly and there is TOM to consider. Will change stats next Friday, hopefully.

Well, I woke up late today, it is a long holiday weekend here. Unusual for me, even when I go to bed late,which was the case yesterday. I am making inroads with seeing films in their entirety. Yesterday I saw one almost up to the middle and then the end !

We went sailing yesterday. It was freezing, well for sailing it was, but for some reason I found it invigorating. I get to laugh at other sailor friends who are decked out in foul weather gear, irrecognisable with scarves around their faces. I wonder if it is to do with genetics (nordic climes) or the fact that I never over wrap myself and so have acquired a higher tolerance threshold. Probably the answer will be as forthcoming as the answer to the chicken or the egg question.

I am not hungry today. I was all set to make myself a nice fry up breakfast and stopped dead in the middle of the prep. What was I doing? I was not hungry at all and I was doing this out of habit. So breakfast is lunch. Just bulletproof coffee for now.

Nothing more to tell. If the sun stays out we might be going sailing. Loose plans have been made for a barbecue, too, but I am not holding my breath.
I shall report.

Last edited by Aleina; 06-21-2013 at 06:18 AM..
Old 06-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #195

OH enjoy your HOLIDAY weekend. your sailing trips sound amazing! I am totally JEALOUS! Smack dab in the middle of the USA here! No beach anywhere close!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:14 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Nancy. Have a great weekend yourself.
Well,not much change on the weight front 86.9. But with TOM in the house that is actually good. Short entry today. I have a lot of things to do and there is an outside chance that we may be able to go sailing if the weather holds.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Good afternoon ! I should sleep in more often ...New numbers just in 86.1 kilos or or 189.6 . Officially out of the nineties , for today at least. Ecstatic.
As I just got up nothing more to report for now.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Good morning. Well,it did not quite hold yet. 86.6 today or 190.7lbs .I will keep tehstats as they are for now as I think it is just one of those fluctuations. Reason I think that is that the jeans I wore yesterday felt tighter than when I had not lost the weight so it is probably water weight from teh end of TOM. Wednesday will be the day when the weight "counts"
Old 06-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #199

Sounds good girl. Were you able to do some sailing on your holiday weekend? I would love to hear all about it.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Good morning Nancy . Yes we did go out sailing. It was freezing but it was also enjoyable because of it. We did not go far just a two hour roundtrip as we want to be back at dock well before sundown. Fishes seem to love the cold weather too. The flocks of seagulls are much bigger than in summertime.
We did see the supermoon but could not get any impressive photos as it was hidden behind vapour clouds.
Hope you had a great weekend as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Well, I have been keeping a secret from this diary. You may have read about the joshing while sailing, as I am extremely cold adapted and can sail in very thin clothes while others have already put on Gills bad weather gear. We joked that it probably has to do with my Northern European genes.

Well, the thought stuck with me as I am happy in the cold , have been since I was a child much to the chagrin of my grandmother who always swaddled me in layers, something I deeply appreciated as it was easy to secretly take off and put back on just before going home. But I digress .

I put myself to researching the subject, thinking that I might eke out a slight acceleration to my pitifully slow weight loss and I came up with some surprising results. Thermogenesis in humans, a subject has been in the news since around 2010 in terms of weight loss acceleration. Data that is meaningful does not exist yet for weight loss, some anecdotal losses reading other forums, but nothing conclusive. "Health " magazines would have you believe that it is a foregone conclusion that you lose faster, as it makes good news. University studies around the world are not so sure yet,but give it a promising rating. Apart from all the reading I was reminded of some family history, where a family member cured himself from the left side paralysis of a stroke the doctors told him was for life. He did so by doing Kneipp treatments ( cold water immersion treatments in mountain river water). Sebastian Kneipp was actually no doctor at all in the medical sense but a pastor who had recognised the healing powers of cold water back in the 1800s. The English sources do this man no justice. In Germany even today his cures are a valid treatment accepted by medical insurances and you can guess that they are very picky as indeed they are in other parts of the world. Well, my relative´s treatment worked ,full use of his limbs was recovered. No meds.

So what have I been doing. In the beginning nothing much. I took the dog to the park for 10 minutes at a time in summer clothes. The looks ....
When we went sailing I only wore 2 long sleeved T shirts with wind cheater at the ready, if I felt the cold which yesterday I did. But all in all I loved being slightly cold. It is invigorating to me and actually puts me in a good mood. I prefer dry cold though. The trick is not to get to a shivering cold which is unpleasant and counterproductive for what I am trying to achieve and that is reactivate my beige/brown fat, if it exists. I say if it exists. Not all people have it, but people with ancestry from nordic climes are more likely to have it than say people from the Med. As I am already very cold adapted without even trying I have the hope that it exists and is only dormant as I am living in a majority hot climate with fat layers to insulate me on top of that "mismatch".

Today I went a step further. I came home from shopping with heavy bags and carrying anything produces me a pain in the neck/shoulder region. It has gotten better with the aid of magnesium, but has not gone away. So when I got in I had my usual shower and thought as athletes are advised to take cold showers after intense muscle workouts I would try and see what it would do for me with relation to the pain. I had fully expected to do a dance when the cold water hit me but no. It was slightly unpleasant, but yes again I loved it after a while. The neck pain has not gone away, but it has dulled it to an acceptable level. As it was my first time I had tried not to overdo it, but next time I shall see if I can make it go away completely. The additional benefit is that it does not produce a shivering cold in me, but only goosebumps which is what is supposedly going to activate the brown fat.

So why do I do this if there is no proof, it sounds off the wall and to most minds it sounds unpleasant ?
Well, one of the things I like about it that it is free and I can choose the dosis at will. If something is free or cheap and convinces me that it may have a basis in truth I will research it and put it to work, if the research is convincing. In this case it is convincing. There are ongoing studies around the world in renowned universities, Harvard being one of them, that look just into the metabolism acceleration through non shivering cold thermogenesis. Additionally through reading up on locarb I have come to realise that what we held true is counterproductive and that we actually still know very little about metabolisms and their functioning in our mancreated,artificial world.

Secondly it makes me feel great, invigorated and more alive.
The pain reduction today is the third thing that I really appreciate .
Fourth it may have a beneficial effect on the skin shrinking back ,as it is supposed to increase skin tension.
Fifth, have you seen the prices of winter coats lately ??

Now if what you read is of interest to you a word of caution. Everyone is different and it may not do you any good, even may make you feel ill or be ill. If you feel like trying it, inform yourself as I have done and start very slowly. I am not a doc so what I have written is in no way medical advice or to be taken as such. In other words you try at your own risk if you do so.

I also use thermogenic foods like hot peppers,coffee and garlic. I don't have that much faith in it as the other things, but as I adore hot chillis and coffee why not indeed.
Thinking about it my pathological need for chilis and coffee might also be an indication that my body is looking to cool down, strange as that may sound.

So now you know. I started this last week with the arrival of he arctic cold front. We shall see. If it does nothing else it is a great mood booster.

Last edited by Aleina; 06-24-2013 at 03:40 PM..
Old 06-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Good morning,going the wrong way 86.9 today . Other than that and after the monologue from yesterday not much more to tell.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #203

OH BUMMER!

When I was a runner, I took COLD BATHS after my runs of 10 miles or greater. They suggested ICE BATHS, but there was no way in H ELL I was going to sit in ice water! It does help, shockingly enough!
Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Good morning. 86.9 today again.. It feels like water retention around the belly area as the jeans fit but are not as comfortable as they were. Humph.

Nancy, thanks for stopping by and encouraging me. I am glad to hear that you have had good experiences with cold treatment as well . I am not sure either if an ice bath would suit me but summer will tell whenthe water from the shower comes out lukewarm.

A lot of readers will probably think this is a desperate woman clutching at straws to lose a few ounces with regards to the thermogenesis project. Of course there is truth in that. I am not desperate, but I feel an urgency to lose mainly as winter is a season for me when I am physically active. When the hot summer comes around it is so much harder for me to go out that over insulated . It feels like wearing a padded wintercoat. So while I am aware that I will not reach goal in that short a time I would like to lose the spare tyre around the middle or at least reduce it.

It is a feelgood thing also, a health thing. Thinking about it, if it works it could undo damage of years of being overweight. And if it keeps its promise and gets rid of cellulite then I will be a 50 year old in a miniskirt. If it gets rid of abdominal fat without leaving an apron behind then I will wear a bikini for the first time in my life, a fantasy I had given up on some years back.

I have joined another forum, especifically dealing with cold treatments and they recommend a paleo diet to go along with that. I am still reading, but I don't think I can do that. It seems to have an enormous emphasis on fish and seafood. I cannot go near seafood without gagging. Fish is a once a year affair and then only white fish, no oily fish which kind of defeats the purpose. Can I turn this aversion around ? I don't think so. I even react badly to the slightly fishy undertone of an overripe avocado or the fishiness of old ground linseed. (the fishy smell comes from the omega 3 oils when they are exposed to air ) So I will do a lot more reading before making changes. I am happy with my diet as it is . I confirmed this morning that I am still in deep ketosis.

There is one good thing though that the other eating plan has and that is that it recommends MSM. As I am quite sure that we don't have the supplement here I looked up natural sources and apparently the oak barrels of wine leach it into the wine. I previously disliked oaked wine, but under the circumstances ....

By the way wine is still off the menu for now. I do wonder though, if I have overreacted to what I consiidered its effects as two days later TOM came early so the weight gain may well have been due to that. I feel another controlled experiment coming on, maybe this weekend.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #205
Senior LCF Member

There are none so blind as those that do not wish to see .
I had meant to check out my wonderful sweetener that leaves no aftertaste and see what the individual components actually mean .
First ingredient : water
Second ingredient : saccharose ,sounds almost like sacharin so it must be carb free right ? Wrong. It is common table sugar,known as sucrose in English but in other languages it is called saccharose .

Why the heading about none so blind ? I have had the suspicion since I started using it , but never got around to checking up on it. Back to Stevia or nothing.
Humph...
Old 06-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #206

I hear you on wine. I don't think I could do ANY plan that didn't allow for it!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #207
Senior LCF Member

86.5 kilos or 190.5 pounds. Humph, not quite what I was expecting this week. Oh well, as I wrote in another place. Onwards and downwards !

Absolutely Nancy, I am looking forward to the wine tis weekend. On all the plans I am currently dancing with a nice Argentine Malbec is actually allowed but recently it has not done me any good. My hope is that it was a fluke.

Other than that I am flirting with the idea of going Paleo. I am already eating with an eye on detox as the weight loss must be releasing all sorts of toxins in my body, but I am still learning . The plan says for example to avoid cheese at all costs because of the prevalence of A1 casein which has been blamed for general inflammation. My cheeses come from a farm where they have the complete production on site. Milk, butter, cream and cheese are all made by them on site. My vegetables come from a farm dedicated to pesticide free and season appropriate harvests.
I might just do a test period to see if I am faring better, but no definite plan, just musing.

Apart from that I found ""Pachamama" eggs yesterday. Basically eggs from chicken that are reared naturally, freerange and varied feed. Because of the cost of the organic label they do not have it but the idea that they respect Pachamama is good enough. If true, one never knows anyway. The cost is not too outrageous . I paid 5 dollars for a dozen yesterday. Normal eggs are around 3 dollars.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #208

OH MY $5 a dozen. Heck $3 a dozen is high for me. I think we typically pay $1.30 a dozen for our eggs. We don't go through near as many as we used to. Now that DS14 is on JUDDD and in summer break, he doesn't eat eggs for breakfast. DD11, she hates eggs totally....so it's just DH and I eating them and right now I am on a kick of no eggs on DD's. I switch that up a bit though sometimes.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

I used to buy eggs at one dollar for 6 but then about three months ago they increased by about 50% and in effect closed the gap to the organic ones. My idea with the eggs is to supplement my omega 3 as I do not eat fish or seafood. As they tell me that omega 3 is mandatory for reduction of inflammatio,cell repair and what not I need to find locarb sources for it.

About the wine I did some research today as apparently we have the wines highest in resveratrol here (Malbecs) and I found this which ties in with what you are trying to do on Judd with regards to Sirt1.

New study validates longevity pathway: Findings identify universal mechanism for activating anti-aging pathway
Old 06-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Good morning 86.5 today . The good news is that this is after 2 glasses of wine yesterday. The bad news is that today I feel as if I emptied someone's wine cellar. One more try with one glass and then Imight have to finally recognise that wine is n the past. I am still in ketosis though.

Another thing that happened is that I could not sleep last night which recently has been no problem whatsoever. I had readf that this could happen during cold adaptation but of course I did not want to believe it. Hey ho.
Hungry this morning , I wolfed down 3 eggs with 2 slices ham already .Now it is BPC minus the cream as I ran out . Not bad ,I might not renew the cream just stick with the butter.