LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: grubchow
Stats: 216/195/155, 5'5"F
WOE: no sugar, very little grains
Start Date: restart Aug 2011
lard, it's good...grubchow's journal

Since I'm looking for additional ways in my life to have health accountability, I thought it would be good to start a journal here, and commit to updating it 4-5 times each week. I will accurately post my current weight in the bio statistics, and update here on challenges, successes, frustrations, things that got me through a rough patch, exercise, plus any yummy food.

I am a mom of 3 kids under 5, and that brings a lot of stress...which I will try my best to cope with by not using food. Sugar and white carbs of all sorts are my major downfalls, so today is day one of putting those out of my mind. I like giving myself weekly challenges, so some of those will be on here, as well as what new strategies I'm trying.

In the fall of 2011 I was on fire with motivation, and I lost weight to 168 pounds, which feels like a set point for me. Then, in June of 2012 I remember eating a small dish full of homemade peanut butter cookies, and while I was eating them thinking to myself that those were the first just blatantly sugary things I had eaten in a long time (probably months, at that point). Since then I have had good weeks and months, and bad ones, for eating on plan. I've gained back too many of those pounds, and am tired of them. I am ready once again to have that great feeling of health that eating well for me can bring. Here we go!!!
grubchow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Today was good...got some new yoga pants for myself! And, met with a person at my gym and committed to trying a few new classes this month--spin classes have always intimidated me, but I'm going to give it a whirl. With my knee injury it's one thing that the PT says might help. Also I am setting the concrete goal of losing 5 lbs by May 5. Best meal of the day was sauteed peppers, mushrooms, onions, and sausage for lunch.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

189 this morning
B: coffee w/ HWC, omelet w/ mushrooms, ham, swiss
L: low carb chili made with ground beef liver and heart (so excited my Whole Foods has started to sell this!)
S: coffee w/ HWC, 3 glasses water
D: planning on stir fry with pulled pork and whatever is in the crisper drawer

At soccer this morning (our first week) my smaller kids were eating dehydrated peaches. Note to self--do not eat these! I tasted one, and it was too, too yummy.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

OK, 4th day in a row with no sugar! Yes, I've had fruit, and yes I've had a bit of tortilla here and there from the kids, but this is definitely the longest stretch I've gone with no sugar since my initial (epic fail) pass at the 21 day sugar detox in early February. Woot!! I had half of a sweet potato tonight with leftover stir fry, and oh yowza does that feel like a treat! Those kinds of carby indulgences on occasion really help me stay on track, I'm finding. Like, watching a video with DH in a minute, and I won't be craving..._fill in the blank carby stuff__.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Monday morning always seems like a good time to make goals and challenges for the week. This week for me: continue eating no sugar, and the new goal: no alcohol units this week. Each of these jobs is a challenge on their own for me...together they are intense!

That means I will be drinking kombucha this week for sure, and I'll need to make some fruity iced teas as well. Probably we will also have sushi one night for dinner---that's my favorite.

Breakfast this morning will be bacon and eggs, but I just realized there's no HWC in the house for my coffee. BUMMER!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

If you combine me with group exercise and someone captured it on film, that person could make a million dollars on youtube, I bet, because of how hilarious and dorky and, needless to say, out of step with the group I am. I went anyway today, and it was fun. Usually I try my best not to laugh in class, because that would make keeping up even harder, and I might accidentally injure someone. But on my drive home, I cackle. I would call today's class a yoga and aerobics mix with really loud trance music, and my legs are screaming in pain right now--nice.

Tonight for dinner I cooked a Vietnamese-ish noodle dish with shrimp and a bunch of raw veggies, and I had kelp noodles in mine. Wow! Those kelp noodles are pretty weird. I ate about 2 hours ago and I'm still trying to think of something to compare them to. Like glass noodles, but a little more rubbery and slightly crunchy? That's the best I can do. But they were tasty and I can't wait to try them with curry. (While I was eating them my daughter asked me if I was eating hair, then said, "we don't eat hair, mommy.")
Old 04-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

188 this morning. I had a slip up yesterday and ate one bite of a chocolate chip cookie. Aaargh! But, luckily I stopped after one bite, and later on, I felt much better that while I had slipped up, it wasn't too big. Today I'm back on track, and get to spend a few hours outside in nice weather---just about my favorite thing on the planet!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Our neighbors had a birthday party for their kid this afternoon, and that is about a perfect storm for me wanting big sugar and carbs. You know the drill: not knowing a lot of the people there, my kid wanting to pull the entire tablecloth and what's on it off into the lawn, my other kid sticking his finger, I mean, dirt-covered finger, into the community bowl of ranch for the veggies. *sigh!* Anyway, when that homemade chocolate cake came out of the house, I was just about gritting my teeth to not get a piece. But I didn't!!! Yay! I felt really good about being able to resist, and came home and enjoyed a steak dinner with some grilled zucchini and onions on the side.

I'm probably a little on the higher side for carbs today (popcorn at the party), but I'm sure my BG was nothing like it would have been with a piece of cake. After I have a few more weeks sugar free, I'll start looking more closely at the carb and calorie totals of what I'm eating. For now I have to trust that this sugar free streak is going to move the scale in the right direction.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

OK, last week's challenge was to not consume sugar or alcohol. I'd give myself a B or B- for the week. This week's challenge has 2 parts: continue the 100 pushup challenge (you can see the thread over on the Muscle Matters board) and experiment with JUDDD this week and the next, to see if this is a woe that will work for me. My UD will still be paleo plus dairy for the most part, and I will continue to not eat sugar. We will see how it goes. I've just had my first DD, at about 600 calories. I'm looking forward to some sushi tomorrow!!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

So far, with trying out JUDDD, (or as I'm also learning it can be called--ADF, alternate day fasting) I have had an UD, DD, UD, MD, and today is an UD, tomorrow will be a DD. Yes, I'm still at the very beginning of trying out this woe, but so far, I'm impressed. I had some bloodwork taken the first week of April, so it could be interesting to try this for a while and see how it impacts my blood panel. My DH and I are going on a short trip in the middle of May, so I'm hoping to do ADF or close to it until we leave, and see how it goes. If anyone had told me a few weeks ago that yesterday my lunch would have consisted of two radishes and I would have felt fine, I would have said they were crazy! But that's exactly what happened yesterday!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Today is day 12 for me with no sugar! (Pastries, candy, ice cream, chocolate, and the like...still eating things like ketchup.) I definitely have to take the sugar thing one day at a time, even when other eating is on track, sugar can cause a months-long derailment. (For example, winter 2013...) So each day sugar-free seems like a small victory, even if it was a higher carb or calorie day than I intended.

Yesterday was a MD, and I ate: coffee with HWC and a 60 calorie oopsie roll for breakfast, 8 oz of trout and potato soup for lunch, small portion of roasted green beans and shepherd's pie (cauliflower topping, not potato) for dinner. Lots and lots of water. Last week on an UD I went kinda crazy and had lots of pieces of bread one day--big mistake. I'm really going to try and have my UD be lower glycemic foods, or at least non-trigger foods, lest the UD become too out of control on the calories. Today is a DD.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Eating strategies kinda fell by the wayside last week while I was working intensively on a house project (chicken coop!). This week should be easier, I hope! This week and next I'm going to try eating very low calorie on Monday (today) and Thursday, like 500 calories, and on the other days avoid grains and keep my carbs under 75g, but not keep track of calories.

I have all these great paleo recipes, and love to cook them, but counting the calories on, for example, a whole pan of zucchini lasagna, (especially since I'm the kind of cook that improvises a lot with recipes depending on what's in the fridge that needs to be cooked) is difficult for me. Doing math with small kids running around is just too much some days!! A friend came by with 5 huge bags of spinach from her garden this weekend, so I've definitely got to use some of that up soon...

So while I can't say that I'm doing full-on JUDD, those folks on the JUDD board are very inspirational, and I'm using their suggestions (those miracle noodles?? AWESOME!) and successes as my basis to this experiment--thanks you all!